PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs 2018

Rocco Jones
13-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Oh does it hurt but the only way I can feel better is fittingly the best way, looking forward. Port showed this year that you cannot just expect improvement, but with the senior guys still around for 1-2 years and the kids improving, we should have a couple of good years. Then it really changes. Our senior guys go out but hopefully, a bigger batch of start start to hit their peak. Here is how I see the 2018 line up with expected games. I've bolded the players/areas I feel automatically confident in.

B: Z. Cordy (30), Roberts (60), Webb (50)
HB: Wood (100+), Hamling (50), JJ (90)
C: Hunter (80), Wallis (100+), Macrae (100)
HF: Dahl (100+), Crameri (100+), Stringer (90)
F: Dickson (100), T.Boyd (70), Stevens (100)
R: Roughead (100+), Bonts (80), Liberatore (100+)
I/C: Picken (200), Jong (60), Daniel (50), McLean (50)

We have gone into most of our games this season 3 players with 100+ games experience. In 2018, we are tracking to have 9 in that territory.

Our main issues are the development of our key backs, having a ruckman and replacing our 2 gun experienced HBs. We must remember that even the best of sides have gaps. Roughy going up a cog would be massive as he whatever role he fills will be vital to the side.

I've highlighted the entire bench as I believe our depth looks very promising. It's not even factoring in any recruits making the side.

dog town
13-09-2015, 03:02 PM
I think it would be nice to have an explosive ball carrying mid in the mix too. Something for Dalrymple to look for.

I get the sense our game style lends itself to clever recruiting if you can find guys who can play a role. We might be able to fill the Murphy void a little bit through free agency or a trade when it comes to it. Looks at guys like Rhys Shaw, Heath Shaw, Malceski, Yeo, Wellingham and others who have been recruited and filled in a backline role. We will be an attractive proposition and if we are close to a flag we might be able to over look the age factor and put some experience back there. Not talking a huge name more the guy who just needs a change of club but would fit into our system perfectly. For now I think we should just keep getting kids in unless it is a no brainer but for future I think we can do some damage with clever trading/free agency gets.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Oh does it hurt but the only way I can feel better is fittingly the best way, looking forward. Port showed this year that you cannot just expect improvement, but with the senior guys still around for 1-2 years and the kids improving, we should have a couple of good years. Then it really changes. Our senior guys go out but hopefully, a bigger batch of start start to hit their peak. Here is how I see the 2018 line up with expected games. I've bolded the players/areas I feel automatically confident in.

B: Z. Cordy (30), Roberts (60), Webb (50)
HB: Wood (100+), Hamling (50), JJ (90)
C: Hunter (80), Wallis (100+), Macrae (100)
HF: Dahl (100+), Crameri (100+), Stringer (90)
F: Dickson (100), T.Boyd (70), Stevens (100)
R: Roughead (100+), Bonts (80), Liberatore (100+)
I/C: Picken (200), Jong (60), Daniel (50), McLean (50)

We have gone into most of our games this season 3 players with 100+ games experience. In 2018, we are tracking to have 9 in that territory.

Our main issues are the development of our key backs, having a ruckman and replacing our 2 gun experienced HBs. We must remember that even the best of sides have gaps. Roughy going up a cog would be massive as he whatever role he fills will be vital to the side.

I've highlighted the entire bench as I believe our depth looks very promising. It's not even factoring in any recruits making the side.

I would like to think Biggsy would be in that team

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2015, 04:10 PM
All very good Rocco, but I want to go into 2018 looking for a 3peat.

I am sick of waiting for the next year or the one after that.

Mofra
14-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I rate him highly too
I'd assume that by 2018 we have one or two who have surprised (or been drafted) who make the side regularly

Sedat
14-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Yep, was good again on Saturday night. Did a more than passable impersonation of JJ.

comrade
14-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Yep, was good again on Saturday night. Did a more than passable impersonation of JJ.

Some of his hit ups were top shelf. No brain fade turn overs either. Proved he could handle the heat of finals.

In fact, just about every one of our guys showed enough to suggest the big stage didn't overawe them. Contrast that to say 2009, when we had everything going for us in the first week against the Cats and we just bottled it from the opening bounce. Same as 2008.

This is a different group all together. Younger, harder, more talented. And this result will burn and sustain them through a gruelling pre-season.

2018, be damned. 2016 is where it's at.

Rocco Jones
14-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Biggs/Jong was close.

I am not saying wait until 2018, 2016 should be great. Just that 2018 will see a fair bit of change with veterans going/kids really entering their peak.

FrediKanoute
14-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Some of his hit ups were top shelf. No brain fade turn overs either. Proved he could handle the heat of finals.

In fact, just about every one of our guys showed enough to suggest the big stage didn't overawe them. Contrast that to say 2009, when we had everything going for us in the first week against the Cats and we just bottled it from the opening bounce. Same as 2008.

This is a different group all together. Younger, harder, more talented. And this result will burn and sustain them through a gruelling pre-season.

2018, be damned. 2016 is where it's at.

Bingo - this to me is the main reason for optimism. yes we lost, but Honeychurch aside all the other kids in the team showed that they could and did compete. Talking to a couple of Aussies at work today and they were amazed at our team - stunned we didn't win.

2018 looks great......