PDA

View Full Version : Ruckman cut as Bulldogs delist six

Ghost Dog
16-09-2015, 03:04 AM
FORMER first-round pick Ayce Cordy headlines six players delisted by the Western Bulldogs.

Cordy, who was selected under the father-son rule at No.13 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, departs Whitten Oval having played just 27 games in seven seasons

The 25-year-old battled injuries early in his time at the Dogs, but failed to take ample opportunities as a ruckman-forward in recent seasons.

Coach Luke Beveridge gave him a run of seven successive games from round two this season but he failed to cement his place and wasn't picked again after round nine.

The Bulldogs recruited Cordy's younger brother Zaine in last year's draft.

Running defenders Sam Darley and Matthew Fuller join Cordy as senior-listed players looking for a new home.

Darley played seven games for the Dogs in two seasons after being recruited from GWS while Fuller failed to play a game after being selected as a mature-aged recruit with pick 42 in the 2013 Draft.

Rookies Brett Goodes (22 games), Daniel Pearce (6) and Jordan Kelly (0) have also been told their services are no longer required.

dukedog
16-09-2015, 08:08 AM
No issues at all with these calls. All the best to the boys departing. Looks like we in the market for a ruckman. All the rest of those boys are covered.

BulldogBelle
16-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Yep. Sounds about right.
Good luck to them all where ever that my take them

KT31
16-09-2015, 09:19 AM
No surprises, good luck to all of them.

Hotdog60
16-09-2015, 11:12 AM
It's a bit sad to see a FS not make it, I also wonder how Zaine feels. He would be disappointed that his big bro not there.
I wonder if Ayce will stay on at Footscray if he doesn't get a new home.

ledge
16-09-2015, 12:44 PM
It's a bit sad to see a FS not make it, I also wonder how Zaine feels. He would be disappointed that his big bro not there.
I wonder if Ayce will stay on at Footscray if he doesn't get a new home.

Will Footscray want him ?
As a team that's supposed to teach up and coming players for AFL wouldn't we want a young ruck man to be learning his trade and not wasting it on a player who has been delisted. ?

Hotdog60
16-09-2015, 12:49 PM
As a team that's supposed to teach up and coming players for AFL wouldn't we want a young ruck man to be learning his trade and not wasting it on a player who has been delisted. ?

Fair enough, there was a bit of FS sentiment in that post.

boydogs
16-09-2015, 11:29 PM

No issues with keeping Ayce at Footscray, he's good at that level and flexible enough to play ruck, forward or defense to allow us to play the AFL listed players where we want

bulldogtragic
16-09-2015, 11:46 PM

His dad might want him. Ayce might want to get paid to hang around with family, albeit not as much coin.

jeemak
18-09-2015, 12:46 AM
I like the decisiveness of the action taken by the club.

As far as Ayce is concerned I've always thought he's had the talent but after his stint in the ruck this year it was increasingly clear to me he didn't have the strength to perform at AFL level, and all hope for him was lost. He can't complain that he wasn't given a chance to show his worth and I think this list management team and coaching staff have played it perfectly as far as Ayce is concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if we, or another club rookie listed him and stockpiled him until the 2018 season, but as far as main list work is concerned it's clear he's a clogger.

Remi Moses
18-09-2015, 01:28 AM
Ayce got a decent run at it, but he just got out bodied at contests continually.
I couldn't understand why he played from behind at boundary throw ins, as he doesn't have the strength to get around the opposition ruck. Didn't take anywhere near enough grabs either.
Good luck to whatever holds for Ayce

whythelongface
18-09-2015, 01:25 PM
I like the decisiveness of the action taken by the club.

As far as Ayce is concerned I've always thought he's had the talent but after his stint in the ruck this year it was increasingly clear to me he didn't have the strength to perform at AFL level, and all hope for him was lost. He can't complain that he wasn't given a chance to show his worth and I think this list management team and coaching staff have played it perfectly as far as Ayce is concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if we, or another club rookie listed him and stockpiled him until the 2018 season, but as far as main list work is concerned it's clear he's a clogger.

That really is the key. He was given the opportunity but unfortunately fell short of what was expected of him.

Good luck to all the lads. Hopefully they succeed in their post AFL careers.

ledge
19-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Darley and Kelly surprise me. The fact they were delisted so quickly, we must have seen something in them somewhere.
We go on about how good our list managers are, these two Didnt come close to showing anything at all.

Bulldog Joe
19-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Darley and Kelly surprise me. The fact they were delisted so quickly, we must have seen something in them somewhere.
We go on about how good our list managers are, these two Didnt come close to showing anything at all.

I think you are being a little harsh.

There is a need to move players on every year and it is a judgement about who you can bring in as well.

The delistings are actually a measure of how well the list management has done to build quality and depth in the list.

There are still holes to fill and it has been deemed that these players offer the least and need to make way.

GVGjr
19-09-2015, 09:25 AM

So the delisting of Darley and Kelly surprise you yet in your opinion they didn't come close to showing anything I don't get it?

Kelly missed a chunk of footy and played just 3 games in the first half of the season. His last half was quite good but just not good enough to see him becoming a regular senior player. Bevo knew him from Hawthorn and thought he was worth a try as a rookie.
No harm it just didn't work out like they hoped.

Darley had a good season in the VFL but just lacks the skills and composure to become a regular senior player. Sometimes you back yourself to improve a player in the area's he might be deficient but in this case it didn't happen. Once again he was worth a try but it didn't work.

EasternWest
19-09-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm ok with this. Wouldn't mind Pearce being re-rookied if there aren't better/more viable options about.

Thanks to those guys, and I wish them well in future.

soupman
20-09-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm ok with this. Wouldn't mind Pearce being re-rookied if there aren't better/more viable options about.

Out of curiosity why?

I liked him when he first played a few games in the seniors for us but he has barely looked worthy of being in the mix in the 2-3 years since and has nowhere near the speed, footskills and nous of any of our other half back flankers or the intensity of our small forwards.

jeemak
20-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I'd back Darley in to improve on his shortcomings over Pearce.

Rocco Jones
20-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Thanks to those guys, and I wish them well in future.

I really can't see Pearce making it. His best chance is as a small forward and he is too limited there compared to the various options we have.

Smads57
20-09-2015, 04:25 PM
i am happy with the de-listings - in the past I have been sentimental when it came to this time of the year, but not winning a premiership in my lifetime and holding onto inevitable 'list-cloggers' has me in a more ruthless frame of mind this year.

I also think we have started to stockpile players covering 5 of the de-listed player's positions.