PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Dale and Lukas Webb sign on for two more years

bornadog
18-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Good news continues internally at the club.

Greystache
18-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Excellent. That'll have them tied in until the end of 2018.

I like JMac's approach to extending young players who clearly have talent. Give them longer term security up front for less money than they could potentially get if they waited until their contract expires. It's win-win.

Mofra
18-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Did laugh at the facebook comment "that will keep Bailey Dale at the club until he starts puberty"

The Doctor
18-09-2015, 12:10 PM
this is seriously fantastic stuff what our club is doing. Onwards and upwards!

Axe Man
18-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Just a minor technicality - they have signed one year extensions, not two years.

Talented young Bulldog pair ink new deals (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-18/talented-young-bulldog-pair-ink-new-deals)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have added two more names to the long list of players to recommit in 2015 with draftees Lukas Webb and Bailey Dale the latest to show faith in the club's direction.

The 19-year-old midfielders, who both played 10 games in their debut seasons, have signed one-year extensions that will see them remain at Whitten Oval until at least the end of the 2017 season.

Webb was recruited with the compensation pick the Dogs received for losing free agent Shaun Higgins (No.27) while Dale looms as one of the bargains of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft after his name was called out at pick 45.

"We are encouraged by the progress both Lukas and Bailey have made so early on in their careers," Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney told the club's website.

"Both young men have shown a real appetite to learn and have adapted well to the rigours of an AFL environment.

"We look forward to seeing them continue to grow in the coming years."

Webb has impressed across half-back with his tidy skills, composure and sound decision-making, while Dale is built for Luke Beveridge's 'fast footy' game plan with his kicking and speed a standout.

The youngsters join a host of players including Luke Dahlhaus, Jake Stringer, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae and Mitch Wallis to put pen to paper this season.

The raft of signatures leave few Bulldogs uncontracted for 2016, with forward Jarrad Grant and key defender Michael Talia topping that list.

whythelongface
18-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Great news. By early 2017, if they continue their upward trajectory, they will be offered new contracts keeping them on for another 2 to 3 years.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-09-2015, 07:11 PM
And Bailey may have reached puberty

1eyedog
18-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Do we think Bailey will make it?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2015, 07:55 PM

It's not popular to talk out a loud about a first year player, but that's a question I have asked myself at various points. I think he will, but there's a honeymoon with every young player and I'm sure we were smarting about Pat 'Tin Man' Bowden getting to us. There's some raw talent to work with and I'm excited to see if he can get a big frame going in the years ahead. If he does I might need to work on not calling him Dailey Bale. :)

bornadog
18-09-2015, 08:02 PM

I think he has shown glimpses of ability and I am confident he will more than make it.

Eastdog
18-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Great news. These guys have certain done some good things for our club in their very short career so far.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Bailey the Kid?

Remi Moses
18-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Might be just a tad early to say either will "make it".
On early form you'd say both look decent.
Bailey probably needs to get more involved(he looks like he has silky skills)sure that will come with more pre-seasons and experience.
Lucas look really classy early, but just tired in the second half of the season.

lemmon
18-09-2015, 08:20 PM

It's an interesting question, I thought of all the first year guys he looked the most out of place at AFL level but was the best performed in the VFL and may feature fairly prominently in the Footscray BnF in comparison to how many games he played. I'm willing to attribute the disparity in performance to his body development more than talent, once he puts on some size I think he'll be quite a useful outside midfielder

azabob
18-09-2015, 08:21 PM

As in Bailey Dale? I am in no doubt he will make it and will be a very good footballer for us over a longtime.

Can play, got game, got skill, can kick a goal.

Eastdog
18-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Might be just a tad early to say either will "make it".
On early form you'd say both look decent.
Bailey probably needs to get more involved(he looks like he has silky skills)sure that will come with more pre-seasons and experience.
Lucas look really classy early, but just tired in the second half of the season.

Lucas to become an important part of our defence in future years.

1eyedog
18-09-2015, 10:11 PM
It's an interesting question, I thought of all the first year guys he looked the most out of place at AFL level but was the best performed in the VFL and may feature fairly prominently in the Footscray BnF in comparison to how many games he played. I'm willing to attribute the disparity in performance to his body development more than talent, once he puts on some size I think he'll be quite a useful outside midfielder

Me too. He has a few tricks and he has come into a pretty good team this year. I have wondered at times this season whether our first year players would have been able to shine so brightly in a lesser team, probably not, but that's not their fault. Others would say of course that they have added to the team when they have played during the season and of all first year players I think McLean and Dale certainly have.

It's certainly not kosher to ask such a question of a first year player, but its one I wanted to ask because as you say he has at times looked the most likely to fumble under pressure and get pushed off the ball, but you're right, this is to be expected of an immature body.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Bailey Dale is an interesting one. He is so consistently strong in the VFL. I know it's a step down but very difficult for a first year player to play well week in, week out at the level. The thing is he then really struggles to find it at AFL level. When he does find it though, he can be influential. Really looks like a player with a lot of base qualities and can really develop quickly with added strength.

Webb seems perfectly suited to modern game/our style.

Last year's batch should add a lot to our depth in the years to come.

Smads57
20-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Great work by the club to secure as many first year players as they have with additional time added to their contracts. It just continues the good feel around the place.

I thought Webb struggled when in the seniors late in the year, but think he was likely tired.

Having seen Dale play in a number of VFL games this year, I think we have a good un there as well for a late pick.

Ozza
21-09-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm very very optimistic about Bailey Dale. Clean hands, great skills - and to be able to get 10 games in at AFL level (albeit the sub in about half of them) and kick some goals - while he still looks like a 14 year old - is a great start.

Go_Dogs
22-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Very happy with these signings.

I think Dale looks a very likely type, simply because of the AFL traits he has displayed with his skills, reading of the play in the F50 and clean hands. He will need to get stronger and become a better accumulator but like a few others he is perhaps going to be a high hurt factor 20 possession player rather than someone who racks up 30+.