PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 2016 team

Pages : [1] 2

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 04:01 PM
I created the 2018 team thread, here is one for our next real game. I guess something to think about with trade period too.

B: Wood, Roberts, Morris
HB: M.Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Picken, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Stevens, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, T.Boyd, Dickson
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I/C: Hunter, Johannisen, Biggs, Daniel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few things:
- Ruck/key defenders obviously a bit of a gap, Roughy being quality would be massive.
- Libba straight into the side I would think. Elite players are elite! Stevens joining him as well as another pre-season for the kids should help in the engine room.
- Tom/Redpath exchangeable near end of year. The quality of our small-medium forwards will make it a sacrifice to play both, they will need to be in much better form to rationalize it.
- It's going to be hard for Grant to get the contract he wants. McLean not listed in that 22. Honeychurch and Dale right in the wing/forward mix as well.

LostDoggy
19-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Good team. A few discussion points for mine:

- Do the 4 interchange allow for 1 tall on the bench for added flexibility, probably either Campbell or Redpath.
- Would love to get Maclean into the starting 22. Of the established players, the one I have a bit of a query on is M.Boyd, with Murph and Morris already down back. Just wonder if JJ or Biggs starting may be the way to go moving forwards.
- Big ???? right now is what trade brings (presumably no draftees will be straight into best 22).

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Good team. A few discussion points for mine:

- Do the 4 interchange allow for 1 tall on the bench for added flexibility, probably either Campbell or Redpath.
- Would love to get Maclean into the starting 22. Of the established players, the one I have a bit of a query on is M.Boyd, with Murph and Morris already down back. Just wonder if JJ or Biggs starting may be the way to go moving forwards.

- I think we will greater quality running depth so it would be a bit of a sacrifice to play another tall.
- Who starts/on the bench is largely semantics these days. With the need for rotations/resting, they pretty much play very similar minutes anyway. Looking at my side, there are 8 guys who mainly play back. If they are to play together, they need to make up about half a game time on ground elsewhere (probably JJ, Biggs up on a wing for a bit, Bob pinch hitting up forward...very minimal time if shared).

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Team balance wise it would be greater if Biggs and/or JJ could add a bit more to their game and play more minutes further up the ground.

Thing is though, with Boyd and Bob in the twilight of their careers, Biggs and JJ will definitely be needed in their seemingly preferred roles. Add Webb to that mix. Zaine Cordy for Dale Morris hopefully.

LostDoggy
19-09-2015, 05:00 PM
- I think we will greater quality running depth so it would be a bit of a sacrifice to play another tall.
- Who starts/on the bench is largely semantics these days. With the need for rotations/resting, they pretty much play very similar minutes anyway. Looking at my side, there are 8 guys who mainly play back. If they are to play together, they need to make up about half a game time on ground elsewhere (probably JJ, Biggs up on a wing for a bit, Bob pinch hitting up forward...very minimal time if shared).

I guess what I was saying is that if a kid like Maclean, for example, has a preseason that just demands selection, the senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable.

The tall 4th I/C option will be interesting. I have an open mind, but am sure some will teams will try it, especially given only 90 I/C available anyway, so running rotations can be managed through 3 of the bench. May even make a Z.Cordy an attractive option for the bench.

boydogs
19-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable

People were saying that this time last year, and he's made the AA squad

LostDoggy
19-09-2015, 05:28 PM
People were saying that this time last year, and he's made the AA squad

That's a fair point, and I respect the hell out of him, just trying to look at things objectively and see where opportunities may come for our younger players. Given the make up of our squad, to me he is vulnerable.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 06:21 PM
I guess what I was saying is that if a kid like Maclean, for example, has a preseason that just demands selection, the senior player I see as being under the most pressure is Matthew Boyd. To me, his credentials as a necessary member of our best 22 in 2016 are the most questionable.

The tall 4th I/C option will be interesting. I have an open mind, but am sure some will teams will try it, especially given only 90 I/C available anyway, so running rotations can be managed through 3 of the bench. May even make a Z.Cordy an attractive option for the bench.

As much as I loved Matthew Boyd, I long believed he was somewhat overrated. Racked up a lot of ineffective disposals in the midfield while his opponents would cut us up. This year has just about been the opposite for mine. Does the defensive work, gets intercept marks and lots of quality disposal down back. I think his season has been elite in terms of his position/role.

F'scary
19-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks Rocco. Interesting looking at your selection and thinking about who is not in the team from a depth perspective. Redpath, Minson, Campbell, Jong, Hrovat, Talia and Grant (I am assuming both will stay), McLean, Webb, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale, Z Cordy.

That's 35 players including your 22. Then we have Hamilton yet to play a game.

It will be interesting to see how we fill the 3 existing spots on the list. And then there are the 3 rookie spots.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Thanks Rocco. Interesting looking at your selection and thinking about who is not in the team from a depth perspective. Redpath, Minson, Campbell, Jong, Hrovat, Talia and Grant (I am assuming both will stay), McLean, Webb, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale, Z Cordy.

That's 35 players including your 22. Then we have Hamilton yet to play a game.

It will be interesting to see how we fill the 3 existing spots on the list. And then there are the 3 rookie spots.

Beveridge loves rotating players. With rotations and injuries, the 25-26th players will almost certainly play more often than not. For mine...
Redpath= competing with Tom Boyd
Minson, Campbell and Talia= big like this year. Competing for spots where we are quite weak. If they are good enough, they get a game.
Jong, McLean, Webb, Grant and Honeychurch= in that 23-27th picked zone
Dale and Zaine= development players
Prudden= playing for survival

F'scary
19-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Beveridge loves rotating players. With rotations and injuries, the 25-26th players will almost certainly play more often than not. For mine...
Redpath= competing with Tom Boyd
Minson, Campbell and Talia= big like this year. Competing for spots where we are quite weak. If they are good enough, they get a game.
Jong, McLean, Webb, Grant and Honeychurch= in that 23-27th picked zone
Dale and Zaine= development players
Prudden= playing for survival

I appreciate that analysis - and I forgot Clay Smith. Not sure when he is due back but I think this time he really has to wait until he is cherry ripe (I am assuming he pushed to come back as early as possible). He looked good the few games he played this year and is a contrasting type to the rest of our medium sized players.

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 07:15 PM
I appreciate that analysis - and I forgot Clay Smith. Not sure when he is due back but I think this time he really has to wait until he is cherry ripe (I am assuming he pushed to come back as early as possible). He looked good the few games he played this year and is a contrasting type to the rest of our medium sized players.

Such a hard one. I think we gave him a mini pre-season and had his really read before playing in the VFL. He then dominated was straight in. Some were critical of him playing in the AFL so quickly but the previous knee injury occurred in a VFL game. The time between his injury and playing was 9 months last time. A similar recovery time would mean would be ready for NAB Challenge games.

F'scary
19-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Such a hard one. I think we gave him a mini pre-season and had his really read before playing in the VFL. He then dominated was straight in. Some were critical of him playing in the AFL so quickly but the previous knee injury occurred in a VFL game. The time between his injury and playing was 9 months last time. A similar recovery time would mean would be ready for NAB Challenge games.

I don't know much about those injuries at all. I was just presuming that if he waits a bit longer, his knee will be even stronger. But what do I know?

Rocco Jones
19-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I don't know much about those injuries at all. I was just presuming that if he waits a bit longer, his knee will be even stronger. But what do I know?

I have no idea. I would be shocked if we rushed him back but eventually there comes a time (literally!) were waiting any longer is pointless. He has down it 3 times, cold reality is that it will be a risk anytime.

boydogs
19-09-2015, 09:34 PM
It takes 12 months for the graft to reach full strength. Any earlier is an additional risk

Smads57
20-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Looks a strong team on paper - have to agree with some other posters that McLean needs to be in the 22, but equally not sure whose spot he takes - possibly Daniel on the bench

Rocco Jones
20-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Looks a strong team on paper - have to agree with some other posters that McLean needs to be in the 22, but equally not sure whose spot he takes - possibly Daniel on the bench

Yep, I wanted him in but who do you drop? Thing is, teams never play their best 22. Like I mentioned earlier, we will have injuries and even if they are minimal, Beveridge loves his rotations.

23rd-25th picked will easily get the same amount of games as Grant did this year.

Eastdog
20-09-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm looking forward to Libba coming back and saw when he got injured at the WO which dampened the day. How will he manage with Bevo's game style as he hasn't really played probably under Bevo in a home and away season match?

Also what are your thoughts Rocco on Clay Smith? I hope he can make it in the team and not get injuries.

azabob
20-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Team balance wise it would be greater if Biggs and/or JJ could add a bit more to their game and play more minutes further up the ground.

I think Biggs has the capacity to play further up the ground and take his turn running through the midfield. More so than JJ.

He has shown ability to run and create, but he doesn't need to do it from behind the play, where as I think JJ is more suited to watching the play ahead and intercept and run and create from inside the defensive 50.

I think Matt Boyd will also naturally get less games and game time in 2016 as will Dale Morris.

From out of the team above we need the likes of Cordy, Webb, Prudden to keep pushing and improving.

Either way, I look forward to match committee in 2016 and many more head scratching team selections!!

Torpedo
20-09-2015, 06:22 PM
If Tom Boyd comes on after another preseason, would it be possible to look at Big Red playing CHB. With another preseason to build his tank and some more self belief that comes from regular games, could he be worth trialling picking up the gorillas some teams have in their forward line. His marking doesn't seem good enough for forward line, but if he picked up some more agility and stamina I could see him impacting at least creating a contest with the big marking forwards. Anyone know if he has spent time down back at any stage in his career? The more he plays the better he will get I think and gives us an out if Boyd drops off at any stage

Rocco Jones
20-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Also what are your thoughts Rocco on Clay Smith? I hope he can make it in the team and not get injuries.

OK let me start with the cliche 'I'm no doctor' line. I would say surely we wait the maximum time to be safe but surely we do that with any player who does his knee.

The thing I do know (arguably) something about is his form when he comes back. He goes straight into being dominant at VFL level. I would make sure that not only his knee is right but that he is running out games in the VFL strongly. He is so competitive that he can dominant VFL with his tank not at full capacity. Really need to make sure he is right in every area. In his few AFL games this year, he seemed to struggle to run out the games.

Webby
20-09-2015, 06:26 PM
I've been calling for Redpath to play back for 18 months, now. I think he'd be very, very handy down there.

Rocco Jones
20-09-2015, 06:31 PM
I think Biggs has the capacity to play further up the ground and take his turn running through the midfield. More so than JJ.

He has shown ability to run and create, but he doesn't need to do it from behind the play, where as I think JJ is more suited to watching the play ahead and intercept and run and create from inside the defensive 50.

Yep. Thing is we got Biggs as a run with midfielder type. He naturally finds the ball which helps him up the field.

JJ is more of a linebreaker and can have trouble finding the ball/go missing for chunks which is a big issue if you're playing up the field. Did well against North up the field IRC though.

GVGjr
20-09-2015, 06:41 PM
I've been calling for Redpath to play back for 18 months, now. I think he'd be very, very handy down there.

I don't mind that suggestion at all. Perhaps he needs to work on his tank a bit more but I'd like to see him tried there in the off season

GVGjr
20-09-2015, 06:42 PM

I'm not so sure he is a centre square type player and I'd question his kicking skills under pressure. It's a work towards option for mine.

Rocco Jones
20-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm not so sure he is a centre square type player and I'd question his kicking skills under pressure. It's a work towards option for mine.

Yep, not an inside player. I've described him as outer ring before. Very Gerrard Healy of me.

azabob
20-09-2015, 07:03 PM

From memory did he spend some time down back in the VFL?

Is he quick agile enough? Certainly strong and big enough.

Webby
20-09-2015, 07:21 PM
From memory did he spend some time down back in the VFL?

Is he quick agile enough? Certainly strong and big enough.

He did, and every time we needed goals, he was moved forward. Long game from an AFL viewpoint would've been to keep him down back. He's not quite AFL forward standard, but I think he's got potential to be an A grade defender at AFL level. One who can play a swingman role.

1eyedog
05-10-2015, 10:15 AM

He went through a very conservatile rehab and they nursed him back. If anything it was on the conservative side.

I think McLean will command a spot based on his pre-season form. As they say in Hollywood this kid's gonna be a star.

Agree with Redpath back and can see him filling a Daniel Merret type role for us.

Avoid the rush
05-10-2015, 12:14 PM
This is my version of our 2016 Premiership team compared to 2015 Premiership side
B. Stratton/Morris Lake/? Frawley/Wood
HB Birchall/M Boyd Gibson/Hambling Burgoyne/Murphy
C. Hill/Johannisen Mitchell/Libba Shiels/Jong
HF Rioli/Bonti Schoen/Redpath Smith/Hunter
F. Bruest/Dickson Rough/T Boyd Puopolo/Dahlhaus
Foll McEvoy/Rough Hodge/Stringer Lewis/Stevens
Inter Suckling/Macrae Duryea/Wallis Hale/Campbell Gunston/Crameri
Tried to match player with player, taking our upside into account. No match for big backman (in this case Lake) Sorry Liam Picken

boydogs
05-10-2015, 08:36 PM
B. Stratton/Morris Lake/Roberts Frawley/Hamling
HB Birchall/M Boyd Gibson/Wood Burgoyne/Murphy
C. Hill/Johannisen Mitchell/Libba Shiels/Wallis
HF Rioli/Hunter Schoen/Stringer Smith/Macrae
Foll McEvoy/Roughead Hodge/Bonti Lewis/Stevens
Inter Suckling/Biggs Duryea/Picken Hale/Redpath Gunston/Crameri

Biggs, Picken & Roberts in for Campbell, Jong & ?

Happy Days
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM

You already have Roberts in bro-ster.

EDIT - sorry, just got what you were trying to do.

Avoid the rush
06-10-2015, 09:31 AM

I don't think Roberts is in Lakes' class. Look how Tex ragdolled him in final. Wouldn't have done that to Lake. It's about matching up our potential with the premiership blueprint. I feel that we lack a big stopper in defence, otherwise we are very close to finally winning one.

boydogs
06-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't think Roberts is in Lakes' class. Look how Tex ragdolled him in final. Wouldn't have done that to Lake. It's about matching up our potential with the premiership blueprint. I feel that we lack a big stopper in defence, otherwise we are very close to finally winning one.

Just matching up player types as close as I could to give an insight as to where we might be lacking

Avoid the rush
06-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Just matching up player types as close as I could to give an insight as to where we might be lacking

Gotcha!

hujsh
06-10-2015, 11:51 PM

That's very unfair. Lake at 22 was being comprehensively beaten by players like Matthew Richardson and would still occasionally get beaten by players like Fevola later on, for example. I'm not saying Roberts will be as good as Lake but it's too early to say one way or another how good Roberts will be.

Walker was also well held in the final. You'd give up those marks outside 50 and normally be fine. He took an important mark on the wing (or pushed Roberts out depending on perspective) but was more a player who took what opportunities came rather than tearing the game apart

Avoid the rush
07-10-2015, 08:31 AM
That's very unfair. Lake at 22 was being comprehensively beaten by players like Matthew Richardson and would still occasionally get beaten by players like Fevola later on, for example. I'm not saying Roberts will be as good as Lake but it's too early to say one way or another how good Roberts will be.

Walker was also well held in the final. You'd give up those marks outside 50 and normally be fine. He took an important mark on the wing (or pushed Roberts out depending on perspective) but was more a player who took what opportunities came rather than tearing the game apart
My point was how the premiership team is NOW compared to our team NOW and maybe next season. I firmly believe we definitely need a gorilla defender for the big forwards. I was using the premiers as a template. Other than that I reckon with another pre season our list is comparable and on the way to being our second premiership team if all goes well.

hujsh
07-10-2015, 02:51 PM

My point was how the premiership team is NOW compared to our team NOW and maybe next season. I firmly believe we definitely need a gorilla defender for the big forwards.

I was responding to the above quote which refered to potential. If we're talking potential then I believe Roberts can be the Gorilla handler we need. He even did a good job this year before his injury.

I will say it's a strange one to single out though as there are also the comparisons of Hamling/Frawley, J Roughead/T Boyd Lewis/Stevens and Hale/Redpath who are similarly outclassed based purely on current ability

bulldogtragic
11-10-2015, 01:12 PM
All I know so far is Suckling and Libber are into that finals team. Most likely Koby and is Smith gets fit and in form he's best 22 as well.

That's a big improvement to that finals team, with of course Roughy & JJ.

Rocco Jones
11-10-2015, 02:13 PM
I/C: Suckling, Hunter, Johannisen, Biggs
-----------------------------------------------
A fair bit of rotation with HB/wing now. I see Suckling in a more advance role, continuation/progression of role he played for the Hawks this year. Biggs and JJ can also spend a bit of time up the ground. It gives us greater flexibility with match ups/back line structure.

Daniel and McLean out of the 22 but with injuries/rotations they will have no problems getting a game.

GVGjr
11-10-2015, 02:18 PM
A fair bit of rotation with HB/wing now. I see Suckling in a more advance role, continuation/progression of role he played for the Hawks this year. Biggs and JJ can also spend a bit of time up the ground. It gives us greater flexibility with match ups/back line structure.

Daniel and McLean out of the 22 but with injuries/rotations they will have no problems getting a game.

Well done Rocco.
Roughead having to be a full time ruckman is a bit of a question mark of mine. Boyd being used as the back up is out of necessity.
Stacked for mid sized players.

Bulldog4life
11-10-2015, 02:20 PM

And if Redpath dominates pre season....a great problem to have.

azabob
11-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Stacked for mid sized players.

Quality mid sized players at that, something we have focused on over the last few seasons.

It is almost like we took a punt that the sub rule wouldn't last and that interchange rotations would drop and having mid sized players who can play a variety of positions is vital.

GVGjr
11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Quality mid sized players at that, something we have focused on over the last few seasons.

It is almost like we took a punt that the sub rule wouldn't last and that interchange rotations would drop and having mid sized players who can play a variety of positions is vital.

I think I called that out after the last draft. Versatile players with good endurance.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2015, 01:35 AM

You can always judge a good side and its depth by its bench, and bias aside, that bench looks very impressive. I rate all four of those, and as you said, McLean/Daniel aren't listed.

Find a quality key defender and we'll be up to our eyeballs in premiership contention.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2015, 05:24 PM
You can always judge a good side and its depth by its bench, and bias aside, that bench looks very impressive. I rate all four of those, and as you said, McLean/Daniel aren't listed.

Find a quality key defender and we'll be up to our eyeballs in premiership contention.
I played golf with Michael Hafey, brother of and dead ringer for Tom Hafey. He said "My brother always said that it's your 6 worst players that win you the premiership".

Ozza
12-10-2015, 05:59 PM
This is where I'd see our best team being, right now. Have defaulted to Roughead in the ruck, in the hope that his pre-season is 'ruck-focused' and that he begins to emerge as a 1st ruck (something I'm unconvinced about).

B: Wood; Roberts; Morris
HB: Murphy; Hamling; Boyd
C: Macrae: Wallis: Hunter
HF: Suckling; Crameri; Dahlhaus
F: Stringer: Boyd,T; Dickson
R: Roughead; Bontempelli; Liberatore
Int: Biggs; Johannisen; Picken; Stevens

Emerg: McLean; Webb; Daniel

McLean will be very hard to keep out of the side.

jazzadogs
13-10-2015, 05:56 AM
I'm really looking forward to Lukas Webb's 2016. His start to the year was superb, until the general fatigue of a first year player seemed to set in.

If he can improve his fitness and strength again, I can see him having a fantastic season and certainly finishing in our best 22 form...however I find it hard to pick someone out of that side that he will replace!

kruder
13-10-2015, 12:50 PM
This is where I'd see our best team being, right now. Have defaulted to Roughead in the ruck, in the hope that his pre-season is 'ruck-focused' and that he begins to emerge as a 1st ruck (something I'm unconvinced about).

Thats a bloody good football team. Your right about Mclean, I only got to see his 5 minute highlight package as a junior before the draft and he looked like a standout for mine. So further emegencies Jong(loved his finals game!) Redpath, Dale, Campbell, Hrovat, Cordy along with Mclean, Webb and Daniel. All a chance to be best 22 IMO, good luck getting a game next year!

merantau
13-10-2015, 12:55 PM

That is , to me, the strongest team we could put on the park. Be interesting to see what eventuates come Round 1.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-10-2015, 03:14 PM

Suckling will be a very good pick up with two Hawthorn premierships on his CV. We still lack a quality key forward with a question mark still hovering over Tom Boyd. Roughead still needs to prove that he can go the distance as a ruckman. Liberatore, Stevens and Suckling will certainly strengthen the side. I thought McLean was looking good until injured last year and could become a regular senior player.

bornadog
13-10-2015, 03:20 PM
Suckling will be a very good pick up with two Hawthorn premierships on his CV. We still lack a quality key forward with a question mark still hovering over Tom Boyd. Roughead still needs to prove that he can go the distance as a ruckman. Liberatore, Stevens and Suckling will certainly strengthen the side. I thought McLean was looking good until injured last year and could become a regular senior player.

The other issue is Hamling trying to hold down the CHB role. He looks like to me a third tall rather than a Key Defender.

Rucks do look like an issue with Roughead and Boyd? I would rather see a Campbell also in the side sitting on the bench.

GVGjr
25-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Backs:
Morris - Roughead - Wood
Murphy - Hamling - Johannisen

Midfield:
Macrae - Wallis - Stevens
Campbell - Picken - Liberatore

Forwards:
Dahlhaus - Crameri - Bontempelli
Dickson - T.Boyd - Stringer

Interchange:
Biggs - Suckling - M.Boyd - Hunter

Emergenices:
Roberts - Jong - Hrovat

boydogs
25-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Morris - Roughead - Wood

I think we will have Roberts there not Roughead
The club has said Roughead will be training as a ruck in the pre-season

GVGjr
25-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Put your team forward, I went with Campbell ahead of Roughead. Roberts needs to improve his stamina for mine.

boydogs
25-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Put your team forward, I went with Campbell ahead of Roughead. Roberts needs to improve his stamina for mine.

B. Morris Roberts Wood
HB M Boyd Hamling Murphy
C. Johannisen Bontempelli Suckling
HF. Hunter Stringer Crameri
F. Dickson T Boyd Dahlhaus
Foll. Roughead Liberatore Wallis
Int. Biggs Picken Stevens Macrae

F'scary
25-10-2015, 04:18 PM
G'day woofers, here is a spreadsheet from the club's website listing the player's games, etc for 2015. It is interesting to observe that of the 40 players who played at least 1 game, the average was 12.65 games played. If you were to use only 33 players, the average goes up to 15.3 games per player. We only had 14 players who played 16 or more games in 2015. Gives one an idea of how deep the list needs to go if you are to have a 'winning' season.

Remi Moses
25-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Horses for courses with Freo not having a tall forward half
Campbell to ruck and Roberts to play fullback
No spot for roughy

Bulldog4life
25-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Be a good one to win and put Ross back into his box

BornInDroopSt'54
25-10-2015, 11:50 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Roughead will get injured in the ruck? When I imagine him being our primary ruck, I think his shoulders will give way. Hope I'm wrong.

GVGjr
25-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Roughead will get injured in the ruck? When I imagine him being our primary ruck, I think his shoulders will give way. Hope I'm wrong.

History would say that he isn't suited to the role and I'd question how he would go week after week.
We know he isn't effective as a forward and we know he is effective as a defender and that's why I would resist the temptation to play him in the ruck. He would be my 3rd choice.

boydogs
26-10-2015, 12:48 AM

How has he hurt his shoulders in the past? I thought it was whilst playing in defense

BornInDroopSt'54
26-10-2015, 10:39 AM
How has he hurt his shoulders in the past? I thought it was whilst playing in defense

Yes but in the ruck his arms will up all the time taking impact and testing his shoulders sockets and tendons. Those shoulder joints are as vulnerable as knees, especially once they are injured.

always right
26-10-2015, 03:16 PM
In my view......plan for Minson to be our first ruck in 2016 with the hope that Campbell improves rapidly. Start planning for a second try at trading for a ruckman at the end of the year.

Play Roughead in defence where he is needed....with occasional stints in the ruck if required.

Rocco Jones
26-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Does Roughy get a game for us as a tall defender? I think Hamling and Roberts are more suited to playing in the same backline. Hamling is more mobile than Roughy and I think Fletch is our best best against the bigger forwards.

boydogs
26-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Does Roughy get a game for us as a tall defender? I think Hamling and Roberts are more suited to playing in the same backline. Hamling is more mobile than Roughy and I think Fletch is our best best against the bigger forwards.

Whether you can play Roberts & Roughead in the same backline comes down to the opposition. Against Sydney (Franklin, Tippett, Reid) & North (Petrie, Waite, Brown) it's fine

Rocco Jones
26-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Whether you can play Roberts & Roughead in the same backline comes down to the opposition. Against Sydney (Franklin, Tippett, Reid) & North (Petrie, Waite, Brown) it's fine

I think Roughy (as 2nd ruck/defender), Roberts, Hamling and Morris in the same backline robs us off our defensive rebound strength.

lemmon
26-10-2015, 11:01 PM
I think Roughy (as 2nd ruck/defender), Roberts, Hamling and Morris in the same backline robs us off our defensive rebound strength.

Agreed. If we are trying to make Roughy as a backman work it should start in the VFL. His form has done nothing to make him first choice over the incumbents

boydogs
26-10-2015, 11:48 PM

Yes but it would be against opposition forward lines that are easy to run the ball out of. No point getting Biggs, Murphy, Boyd, JJ etc. raffling it on the rebound then getting beaten in the air in defense

Jam Donuts
27-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Correct, however, there are a few who would look a lot better with a good pre season under them, also some body size increases over the summer would be welcome, the size difference in the final against Adelaide was very noticeable, our youngsters will be just about unstoppable once their bodies develop some more, I cannot wait, as I may have mentioned before I have followed this team and attended games since 1959, this is without doubt the best list we have had in that time, they are the real deal.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-10-2015, 04:40 PM
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced Roughead has to play FB, Campbell Ruck and Boyd FF.

* Boyd showed some good signs as ruck relief and it helps him get involved in the game, rather than be stuck at FF all day - that type of player is long gone. Franklin pushes up to the middle, Tippet plays ruck, Roughy (Hawks) plays as a mid etc.

* Campbell is a better forward than Roughead

* We have nobody else big enough to play on the biggest key forwards. Roughead is our best option

* This three pronged set-up gives us good flexibility. Each of them can play 2 positions (Roughead 3). We can shift them around depending on their individual form as well as how the team is going

* Redpath and Minson as cover only - playing both Jack and Boyd won't work. When Boyd (or Jack) goes into the ruck, Campbell either goes forward or to the bench. In the second scenario we can gain an advantage over the opposition if we use the ball well going forward given that big key defenders cannot keep up with Crameri, Stringer and Dickson. We become more unpredictable and can unsettle most sides in small bursts

Most sides would be hugely disadvantaged if they took their FF out and put him in the ruck for 5-10 minutes a quarter, but it can become a deadly strength for us if we're using the ball well enough. Those concerned about our goal scoring power/structure when Boyd goes into the ruck, or trying to fit both Boyd/Redpath into the same side, shouldn't be. In our losses to West Coast, Brisbane and Adelaide late in the season we were scoring fine - it was denying the opposition scores which killed us, which most of us know.

Roughead is almost our most important player in 2016.

bornadog
30-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Roughead is almost our most important player in 2016.

I agree with your post, reluctantly because we have no choice. I have seen very little signs of Roughead being a great Fullback, at best he has been servicable at fullback. However, as you say, we just don't have a player with his height to play the gorillas, or resting ruckman who are all now over 200cm.

I hope he has a big pre-season and builds his body up, but we did hear Jmac saying he was going to be focusing on his ruck work over the summer.

Bulldog4life
28-11-2015, 06:42 PM
It will be interesting to see if any of the new recruits will play round one. No doubt most players will get their chance in the practice matches.

Rocco Jones
28-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Updated side and other stuff...

- Would have Jed Adcock first in line to replace any non KPP/ruck. Daniel and McLean very close.
- Redpath vs T Boyd again for tall forward/2nd ruck role
- Roberts, Hamling, Adams battling for 2 spots.
- Wouldn't have Roughy as a lock. Battling it out with Minson and Campbell during pre-season.

Drafts have definitely helped balance our list.

jazzadogs
28-11-2015, 07:00 PM
I see the side as something like:

B: Morris Roberts Wood Back rotation: Boyd
HB: JJ Hamling Murphy
C: Suckling Wallis Hunter Wing rotation: Macrae
HF: Crameri Stringer Dahlhaus Forward rotation: McLean
F: Dickson Boyd Stevens
R: Campbell Libba Bont Mid rotation: Picken

I see Campbell and Roughead competing for the same spot, and if both can have full pre-seasons I strongly suspect that Campbell will end up ahead of Roughy as our preferred option. I see Will as primarily a back-up. Boyd will be the back up ruck.

Redpath and Boyd are competing for the same spot, but I would be disappointed if Tom isn't ahead by round 1.

Collins and Adams are fairly equal with Hamling and Roberts in my estimations, but I give those two the nod based on their (extremely limited) experience. Anything could happen there. Zaine Cordy would also need to be considered.

It's pretty hard to pick a weak spot in that line-up, that someone like Jong, Hrovat, Daniel, Webb or Bailey Dale could take - McLean is the obvious candidate. Jed Adcock will also likely come into calculations.

It makes me pretty buoyant about next year when I do an exercise like this. Our players from 10-30 are very even - not all superstars, but all equally capable of coming in and playing their role.

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Correct, however, there are a few who would look a lot better with a good pre season under them, also some body size increases over the summer would be welcome, the size difference in the final against Adelaide was very noticeable, our youngsters will be just about unstoppable once their bodies develop some more, I cannot wait, as I may have mentioned before I have followed this team and attended games since 1959, this is without doubt the best list we have had in that time, they are the real deal.

I'm only 36 but I agree that this is the best dogs list I've seen in my time too. I'm excited to see the group develop together!

stefoid
28-11-2015, 11:08 PM
I think we have enough key defensive and ruck prospects. Its a case of whoever performs best from the obvious candidates gets the gig.

What Im wondering is who are our prospective key forwards. Boyd and Redpath are the only obvious ones. So will Adams, Fletch or Hamling also be considered? They have all played forward before, in lower comps.

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 11:18 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016

AFL website had a crack at our (and all others) best 22. Did a pretty fair job.

Mantis
29-11-2015, 08:19 AM

The Bont would have to be the tallest rover of all time!

bornadog
29-11-2015, 10:25 AM

The major flaw with that team is Roughead is yet to prove he can be the number one ruckman. Based on last year, Minson is still the best ruckman we have and he proved that with a pretty good performance in the finals. I am talking right now and not the future.

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 10:45 AM
The Bont would have to be the tallest rover of all time!

It does look a bit ridiculous. For the sake of appearances, they should probably list Bont Centre, Wallis RR and Libba Rover, although these days it's all really the same thing. Love to know Bonts precise height, from photos looks like he could've grown slightly again (turned 20 through the week). One more cm and he will be the same height as Chris Grant.

The major flaw with that team is Roughead is yet to prove he can be the number one ruckman. Based on last year, Minson is still the best ruckman we have and he proved that with a pretty good performance in the finals. I am talking right now and not the future.

I think we all pencil in the Ruckman warily. Roughy/Campbell or Minson all have fair claims, it will probably come down to preseason form. Unless one of them progresses dramatically (or in Minson's case regains best form), they'll probably all get a turn throughout the year.

From a best 22/structural point of view, I guess the big query is whether we have room to go with Minson/Cambell and play Roughy off the bench as a 2nd Ruck/tall utility. With new I/C rules, there is speculation that there is greater scope for teams to revert back to a tall utility type option.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2015, 01:01 PM
It does look a bit ridiculous. For the sake of appearances, they should probably list Bont Centre, Wallis RR and Libba Rover, although these days it's all really the same thing. Love to know Bonts precise height, from photos looks like he could've grown slightly again (turned 20 through the week). One more cm and he will be the same height as Chris Grant.

I think we all pencil in the Ruckman warily. Roughy/Campbell or Minson all have fair claims, it will probably come down to preseason form. Unless one of them progresses dramatically (or in Minson's case regains best form), they'll probably all get a turn throughout the year.

From a best 22/structural point of view, I guess the big query is whether we have room to go with Minson/Cambell and play Roughy off the bench as a 2nd Ruck/tall utility. With new I/C rules, there is speculation that there is greater scope for teams to revert back to a tall utility type option.

Will be interesting who gets first dibs. Watched the replay of the North game last night and Roughy played very well against Goldstein. Although it helped when Big Jack kneed Goldstein in the hip in a ruck contest. I think with a full pre season training as a ruck/forward as well as being Bevo's favourite Roughy is the man initially.

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 04:16 PM

It's also interesting to look at the rest of the list from a depth perspective. Given the above, how would Foosccray's team look in R1? Maybe something like:

B: Adams/Collins/Prudden
HB: Adcock/Cordy/Webb
C: Williams/Dunkley/Dale
HF: Daniel/Redpath/McLean
F: Honeychurch/Campbell/Hamilton
R: Minson/Jong/Hrovat
I/C: Lynch, Goetz, Footscray players (C.Smith, RSmith to return)

Cyberdoggie
30-11-2015, 11:21 AM
It's also interesting to look at the rest of the list from a depth perspective. Given the above, how would Foosccray's team look in R1? Maybe something like:

B: Adams/Collins/Prudden
HB: Adcock/Cordy/Webb
C: Williams/Dunkley/Dale
HF: Daniel/Redpath/McLean
F: Honeychurch/Campbell/Hamilton
R: Minson/Jong/Hrovat
I/C: Lynch, Goetz, Footscray players (C.Smith, RSmith to return)

that's a pretty strong second 11

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 11:45 AM
that's a pretty strong second 11

Yeah I thought so. In terms of depth, our backs look really strong (Collins/Adams/Cordy is an exciting group of hungry, talented young key backs) and a good quality, versatile group of mids/flankers.

Key forwards is probably our main issue, with Boyd and Redpath really the only 2 we could look at as consistent key position sized options. 3 rucks in the magoos is good but really need them pressing hard.

1eyedog
30-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Will be interesting who gets first dibs. Watched the replay of the North game last night and Roughy played very well against Goldstein. Although it helped when Big Jack kneed Goldstein in the hip in a ruck contest. I think with a full pre season training as a ruck/forward as well as being Bevo's favourite Roughy is the man initially.

IMO it will come down largely to who best suits the game plan as it evolves into 2016. Minson was bypassed last year but looks leaner and will compete direct with Tom with Roughie to play back. I'd love Roughie to play ruck but I can't see it happening for more than bursts in a game. It will come down to who covers the ground better, Tom or Will, and is Will's clearance ability valued above Tom's ability to mark the ball and hit the scoreboard.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah I thought so. In terms of depth, our backs look really strong (Collins/Adams/Cordy is an exciting group of hungry, talented young key backs) and a good quality, versatile group of mids/flankers.

Key forwards is probably our main issue, with Boyd and Redpath really the only 2 we could look at as consistent key position sized options. 3 rucks in the magoos is good but really need them pressing hard.

Maybe we can add Adams to the key forward position sized options too.

Rocket Science
30-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I think we have enough key defensive and ruck prospects. Its a case of whoever performs best from the obvious candidates gets the gig.

What Im wondering is who are our prospective key forwards. Boyd and Redpath are the only obvious ones. So will Adams, Fletch or Hamling also be considered? They have all played forward before, in lower comps.

I may be getting slightly carried away with new recruit Collins (guilty) but the highlight reel posted on the club website shows him rather nonchalantly acquitting himself as a key forward. It's just mark and kick type stuff but well, there you go. Perhaps when he's not monstering full forwards he can menace the occasional full back as well.

I'm a wee bit excited about what this bloke brings to the table.

Bulldog Revolution
30-11-2015, 01:55 PM

The problem is that Roughy doesn't seem able to ruck and stay fit for 22+ weeks

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Maybe we can add Adams to the key forward position sized options too.

Adams has played forward a fair bit in WA. He did seem to really find his niche when he went back though. I think he's a chance to pinch hit a bit, but it would be a massive ask to hold down a permanent/semi-permanent forward role in the AFL at this stage.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Adams has played forward a fair bit in WA. He did seem to really find his niche when he went back though. I think he's a chance to pinch hit a bit, but it would be a massive ask to hold down a permanent/semi-permanent forward role in the AFL at this stage.

Agree PP.Looking to the future though it is a possibility that we might explore

Cyberdoggie
30-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I think there will be a big competition between Redpath and Boyd over the pre-season to make that round 1 team.

Bevo doesn't seem to like the two of them in the side together unless one is in the ruck.
Same with Campbell Minson and Roughead.

Roughead may be jack of all master of none by the start of the year. Looks we have decided he's not a defender so now he's going
to have to be a ruck or a forward.

Some tough decisions ahead. Intra club should be interesting next year.

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 03:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1WGuqQyuM

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1WGuqQyuM)
Agree PP.Looking to the future though it is a possibility that we might explore

Absolutely agree. I've posted this before, but I don't think we can see enough of it. A bit of this guy storming around the forward line with Stringer and Crameri is pretty damn exciting.

Dry Rot
30-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Updated side and other stuff...

- Would have Jed Adcock first in line to replace any non KPP/ruck. Daniel and McLean very close.
- Redpath vs T Boyd again for tall forward/2nd ruck role
- Roberts, Hamling, Adams battling for 2 spots.
- Wouldn't have Roughy as a lock. Battling it out with Minson and Campbell during pre-season.

Drafts have definitely helped balance our list.

My eternally disappointed saints mate used to drum into me that you are only as good as your bottom 6 (Saints have had some groups of real stars over the last 2 decades but crap bottom sixes and no cigar).

Dunno who you would judge as the bottom six out of the team above, but they would all be pretty good!

Mofra
30-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Dunno who you would judge as the bottom six out of the team above, but they would all be pretty good!
Would be hard - for argument's sake you'd go perhaps the IC bench, Roughy as a ruckman and Libba as he'd take time coming back from injury.

Sucking - multiple premierships
Hunter - 30+ possession games at AFL level
JJ - important quick to our side
Biggs - can play back or middle, takes the game on with disposal, 20+ touch games

I haven't seen depth like this for a long time.

whythelongface
30-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Would be hard - for argument's sake you'd go perhaps the IC bench, Roughy as a ruckman and Libba as he'd take time coming back from injury.

Biggs - can play back or middle, takes the game on with disposal, 20+ touch games

I would go so far as to say that we have never had so much depth like our current side (certainly not in the modern game) With the inclusions of our 2014 and 2015 draft picks plus Hrovat and Honeychurch, in the aforementioned list, it certainly is incredibly strong. Plus the main upside being that the majority of the list is still young and will grow together over the next couple of years

It is sometimes hard to believe the exciting times that lay ahead for us as supporters.

Rocco Jones
30-11-2015, 06:32 PM
My eternally disappointed saints mate used to drum into me that you are only as good as your bottom 6 (Saints have had some groups of real stars over the last 2 decades but crap bottom sixes and no cigar).

Yep. Adcock, Daniel and McLean are pretty good smalls to be missing out too.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2015, 11:30 PM

Including rookies (before this RD)?

Roarke Smith (knee)
Clay Smith (3 knees)
Prudden (injuries and fringe at best)
Hamilton (yet to debut)
Honeychurch (limited roles at his stage of development)
Campbell or Minson (one won't be with us this time next year)

If Morris & Murphy play on in 2017, then we replace 4 or 5 of these with trades, free agents and high picks. Then work out the bottom 6 from there. I double dare you to find how many wouldn't be best 22 at 6 or more other clubs.

LostDoggy
11-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Thought I'd come at this discussion from a different angle. Rather than picking a best 22 in traditional positions, try to break our list down into playing types and identify a hierarchy (and highlight best 22 locks in capitals) for each.

These things aren't black and white, we value versatility and some players can cover various roles, however for the sake of argument here's how I see the list, broken down into basic roles, heading into a new season (each listed in order of probability of R1 selection by my best guess):

Tall Defenders (1 to 2 spots available): Fletcher Roberts, Kieran Collins, Zayne Cordy, Marcus Adams.

Even contest here, with Roberts the incumbent but the other 3 all highly promising and could be fixtures by midseason without surprising. Most weeks I reckon only 1 guy can play as a traditional key defender, although either Cordy or Adams could maybe play as a 2nd tall defender who can zone off and intercept as well as compete one on one.

Tall/Mid Defenders (2 to 3 spots available - making up a total of 4 spots with tall defenders): EASTON WOOD, DALE MORRIS, Joel Hamling, Roarke Smith.

Morris is more the one on one versatile stopper, Wood the zoning off interceptor. Hamling is more of a Morris type, it'll be interesting to see how his role evolves - probably needs to work on his offensive capabilities, otherwise he may struggle to find a spot in the same backline as Morris, given other options. I hope he finds a spot I reckon he is a real asset and highly regarded internally.

Mid Defenders (2 spots): BOB MURPHY, MATTHEW BOYD, Josh Prudden, Jed Adcock.

Quality and experience make BM/MB complete locks. When either is unavailable, can also be substituted by options in the outside mid/back brigade.

Outside Mids/Defensive (2 spots): JASON JOHANNISEN, Matthew Suckling, Shane Biggs, Lukas Webb, Bailey Williams, Brad Lynch.

Essentially playing as wingmen, but also helping out the backs through rotations and pushing back hard.

Outside Mids/Forwards (3 spots): JACKSON MACRAE, LUKE DAHLHAUS, LACHLAN HUNTER, Bailey Dale.

Starting wingmen/high flankers who will run hard forward and back and have periods on ball, working hard to provide options as link men as well as winning own ball.

Small forward (1 spot): Toby Maclean, Caleb Daniel, Nathan Hrovat, Mitch Honeychurch, Declan Hamilton.

Predominantly small forward with some runs through the midfield. All of these guys ultimately would prefer to be mids/smalls working towards a Dahlhaus/Hunter type role. For now though, they are realistically fighting for the last small role, predominantly forward.

Mid Forwards (3 spots): JAKE STRINGER, TORY DICKSON, STEWART CRAMERI.

Simple choices. Can push high and run through midfield. When 1 is unavailable, role can be covered by bigger mids rotating more heavily or small forward stepping up.

Tall Forwards/2nd Ruck (1 spot): Tom Boyd, Jack Redpath

With his massive ceiling, you would hope Boyd nails this role by R1, but Jack is still right in the frame. Can see a sneaky chance that Jack may be trialled as a CHF at some point.

Ruckmen (1 spot): Will Minson, Jordan Roughead, Tom Campbell, Luke Goetz.

Probably the hardest spot to call with any of the first 3 a big chance. With 4 on the bench, playing a Roughead off the bench as a 2nd Ruck/tall utility is not out of the question.

Inside Mids/Forward (3 spots) : MARCUS BONTEMPELLI, TOM LIBERATORE, MITCH WALLIS, Lin Jong, Josh Dunkley.

Mids who predominantly play in the guts, with a capacity to rotate though various midfield/forward roles also.

Inside Mids/Defensive (1-2 spots): LIAM PICKEN, Koby Stevens, Clay Smith.

Mids who spend a good amount of time on ball, with a strong defensive side who can play accountably, get behind the ball and help with midfield/defensive rotations but essentially ruck rove with a high work ethic towards getting back.

All in all our mids/smalls pick themselves, with really good depth but the big men are a mystery. I couldn't describe a single big man as a definite R1 starter.

bornadog
12-01-2016, 03:11 PM
The club has been running a pole along the same lines as PP's post above and here are the final votes:

Full back
R Murphy J Roughead D Morris

Half back
E Wood F Roberts M Boyd

Centreline
M Wallis J Macrae L Hunter

Half forward
L Dahlhaus J Redpath T Dickson

Full forward
J Stringer T Boyd S Crameri

Followers
W Minson T Liberatore M Bontempelli

Interchange L Picken M Suckling K Stevens J Hamling

Emergencies S Biggs T McLean C Daniel

BornInDroopSt'54
12-01-2016, 04:03 PM
The club has been running a pole along the same lines as PP's post above and here are the final votes:

Full back

Half back
E Wood F Roberts M Boyd

Centreline

Half forward

Full forward

Followers

Maybe replace Crameri with either Adcock or Toby McClean.

Mantis
12-01-2016, 04:18 PM

Full back

Half back
E Wood F Roberts M Boyd

Centreline

Half forward

Full forward

Followers

No JJ in our best 25.. Can't see how this is correct??

Really missed his run & carry in the EF and he is a lock if he is fit & healthy.

LostDoggy
12-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Maybe replace Crameri with either Adcock or Toby McClean.

In finding a straight replacement for Crameri, we will lose something as no-one else has both the power and the mobility (other than Stringer who's already there). It'll be interesting to see if we look for more of a key position type or a mobile type from our remaining options.

Axe Man
12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
No JJ in our best 25.. Can't see how this is correct??

Really missed his run & carry in the EF and he is a lock if he is fit & healthy.

I think it was the way the voting was structured. The players were put into categories and you could only choose so many from that category. Eg small/medium defenders you could only pick 4 out of a list that included Murphy, Boyd, Wood, Morris, JJ and others.

bornadog
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM
I think it was the way the voting was structured. The players were put into categories and you could only choose so many from that category. Eg small/medium defenders you could only pick 4 out of a list that included Murphy, Boyd, Wood, Morris, JJ and others.

JJ in, Out Boyd ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
12-01-2016, 05:23 PM
In finding a straight replacement for Crameri, we will lose something as no-one else has both the power and the mobility (other than Stringer who's already there). It'll be interesting to see if we look for more of a key position type or a mobile type from our remaining options.

Crameri is a gun, a powerful, big bodied runner and a goal kicker so can't be replaced with like for like, just best available. Someone who can get the ball and kick and set up goals consistently.
JJ is a lock in and if we had two of him, they would both be lock ins.

LostDoggy
12-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Crameri is a gun, a powerful, big bodied runner and a goal kicker so can't be replaced with like for like, just best available. Someone who can get the ball and kick goals consistently.

Agree with that. What is interesting to me is whether we view his strength, power as more integral and go for a Redpath or is it more his mobility and go for a Maclean (or just restructure completely).

F'scary
12-01-2016, 09:22 PM
One word: Kobe.

bulldogtragic
30-01-2016, 02:03 PM
So Crameri is out. Adcock seems a replacement, but Josh Dunkley seems to be impressing. Bailey Dale looks much bigger. Could The Specimen or Collins bolt into round 1? Libba & Kobes come back if completely fit says Bevo.

The NAB Challenge games mean nothing per se, but could mean a lot for the round 1 team. Interest month ahead to see how things go for round 1.

Rocco Jones
30-01-2016, 02:14 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how the interchange cap influences selections.

I think it will make playing T Boyd and Redpath together less attractive. At least one of them needs to start being a real danger before we can consider it (unless Boyd becomes our #1 ruck).

Roughy's ability cover all the tall roles might make him a more attractive prospect meaning we can play another runner.

Tall defender spots really up from grabs. Hamling, Roberts, Roughy, Adams and Collins. #1 to #5 rank as close as it gets.

Rocco Jones
30-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Updated side with locks in bold

B: Wood, Roughy (in due to flexibility), Morris
HB: M.Boyd, Hamling (as mentioned above, could pick any of our KPDs. Feel Hamling offers better mix), Murphy
C: Picken, Macrae, Hunter
HF: Stevens, Stringer, Dahlhaus
F: Wallis, T.Boyd, Dickson
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I/C: Suckling, Johannisen, Biggs, Jong (over Adcock in bigger body role).

Koby, Wallis, Bonts, Dahl, Hunter, Jong and Suckling give us a good range of players who can rotate in mid/fwd to support with interchange cap.

Biggs and JJ can do the same with hbf/mid.

Bulldog Joe
30-01-2016, 03:28 PM
I can't pick a side for Round 1, it is just too hard.

From our last game we have lost Grant and now Crameri, but to come in we have Suckling (I see him as certain), Libba and Koby who are locks when fit.

We also have Roughy and Boyd with strong claims and Tommy Campbell as well.

Then there is the exciting young talent in McLean and Dale, and that is before we consider the new draftees with reports indicating that Dunkley, Collins and Adams could all be in the mix. I haven't even considered Adcock as I see him as more cover for the experienced heads if one of them goes down.

The NAB games may provide some more clarity, but gee it looks exciting.

Rocco Jones
30-01-2016, 03:32 PM
I think a combo of the sub rule being taken away and the interchange cap will make rucks who can play big minutes massive. Can't just sub off a ruckman anymore.

Really value guys who can have a turn in the middle and then at least create a contest up forward. Wallis, Stevens and Dahl massive.

ledge
30-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm not even going to attempt to name the team, I just look at our list and say to myself this is too bloody hard.
Have we ever seen a list where possibly every player could mount an arguement for a game.
Could Bevo possibly turn around to Mc Cartney and say my god you make my job hard with this list.

boydogs
30-01-2016, 06:17 PM
B: Wood, Roughy (in due to flexibility), Morris
HB: M.Boyd, Hamling (as mentioned above, could pick any of our KPDs. Feel Hamling offers better mix), Murphy
C: Picken, Macrae, Hunter
F: Wallis, T.Boyd, Dickson
I/C: Suckling, Johannisen, Biggs, Jong (over Adcock in bigger body role).

This list shows the number of times each player was selected in our 22 by 25 different posters submitting their round 1 side on BF
The only differences between your side and the 22 players most frequently selected, is McLean & Roberts in on the interchange for Biggs & Jong

1. Suckling 25
1. Murphy 25
1. Bontempelli 25
1. M Boyd 25
1. Dahlhaus 25
1. Stringer 25
1. Wood 25
1. Macrae 25
1. Dickson 25
1. Morris 25
1. Picken 25
12. Wallis 24
12. Hunter 24
12. Liberatore 24
12. JJ 24
16. Hamling 23
17. Stevens 22
18. T Boyd 20
19. Roughead 16
19. Minson 16
21. McLean 15
22. Roberts 14
23. Redpath 13
24. Adcock 9
25. Adams 7
26. Biggs 5
27. Dale 4
28. Collins 3
28. Daniel 3
30. Cordy 2
30. Dunkley 2
30. Honeychurch 2
30. Jong 2
34. Campbell 1
34. Webb 1
34. Williams 1
37. Crameri 0
37. Hrovat 0
37. C Smith 0
37. Hamilton 0
37. Prudden 0
37. Lynch 0
37. R Smith 0
37. Goetz 0

Rocco Jones
30-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Beveridge demonstrated last year that he is very big on rotating players/giving players a go. Last season it meant we were regularly playing a couple of kids each game who weren't really ready to make an impact (great for development though). The list already seems to have more short term depth to it.

Adcock, McLean and Daniel all would fit into a good side's 22.

GVGjr
30-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Beveridge demonstrated last year that he is very big on rotating players/giving players a go. Last season it meant we were regularly playing a couple of kids each game who weren't really ready to make an impact (great for development though). The list already seems to have more short term depth to it.

Adcock, McLean and Daniel all would fit into a good side's 22.

It's a good point you have raised but I wonder if now that he has had 12 months plus to look at players and more importantly no sub position to ease players into gaining some senior experience he might revert to a more form based selection process?
Those youngsters from last season now have another pre-season behind them and they have no doubt gained an even better endurance base. I think the likes of McLean, Webb, Dale and Daniel etc will likely all work a bit harder for their spots in 2016 but we are so fortunate so many of them are right in the mix for the best 22 selection considerations anyway.

Rocco Jones
30-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Those youngsters from last season now have another pre-season behind them and they have no doubt gained an even better endurance base. I think the likes of McLean, Webb, Dale and Daniel etc will likely all work a bit harder for their spots in 2016 but we are so fortunate so many of them are right in the mix for the best 22 selection considerations anyway.

Yep, with no sub and stronger depth, I think it will be a lot harder for younger players to crack a game. I think we might see players begin rested a bit more, whether that's in the AFL or VFL. We definitely used the sub rule to rest our kids a lot last season. I believe our added depth gives us a good opportunity to really look after players, which Beveridge seems to do anyway.

Eastdog
31-01-2016, 10:29 PM
You picked Rocco Wallis to play more in the forward line. Bevo said he will be playing him more there. How do you see that going? Hopefully it's successful like M. Boyd playing more in defence last year. Would you describe Wally like Dahl more of those attacking midfield types.

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 12:34 AM
Trying to pick our sides these days is like Chook Lotto.;)
What a great dilemma to have for the Match Committe knowing that when one foot soldier goes down,
another ready made one can seamlessley step into their place

kruder
01-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Honey and Hrovat are interesting can anyone see them getting a game early?

Rocco Jones
01-02-2016, 05:59 PM
You picked Rocco Wallis to play more in the forward line. Bevo said he will be playing him more there. How do you see that going? Hopefully it's successful like M. Boyd playing more in defence last year. Would you describe Wally like Dahl more of those attacking midfield types.

As I mentioned, I like how Wallis and Koby ability to rotate through mid/fwd. They provide a contest meaning we can go in smaller. Closest thing we have to Crameri.

Eastdog
01-02-2016, 06:04 PM
As I mentioned, I like how Wallis and Koby ability to rotate through mid/fwd. They provide a contest meaning we can go in smaller. Closest thing we have to Crameri.

Do you see Dicko and Hrovat as those types as well that could portntially rotate through the middle and forward line. Will M Boyd play a similar role as he did last year.

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Having read a few reviews of some match simulations and training drills, my R1 team at present would be:

Morris/Collins/Wood
Moyd/Hamling/Murphy
Macrae/Wallis/Hunter
Suckling/Roberts/Dahlhaus
Dickson/Toyd/Stringer

Minson/Bont/Libba

Stevens/Picken/Roughead/JJ

ratsmac
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Having read a few reviews of some match simulations and training drills, my R1 team at present would be:

Morris/Collins/Wood
Moyd/Hamling/Murphy
Macrae/Wallis/Hunter
Dickson/Toyd/Stringer

Minson/Bont/Libba

Stevens/Picken/Roughead/Maclean

I'm not knocking your team by any means (I haven't even tried to pen my own yet) but surely JJ gets a spot somehow. Biggs probably stiff as well. This is got to be the hardest team to pick for a long time if not ever!

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 10:13 PM
I'm not knocking your team by any means (I haven't even tried to pen my own yet) but surely JJ gets a spot somehow. Biggs probably stiff as well. This is got to be the hardest team to pick for a long time if not ever!

Damn. Forgot JJ and edited my post 10 minutes ago, but you picked me up beforehand. It's brutally tough. No doubt there will be 10 or more unlucky players straining at the bit early rounds for Footscray - which is great.

If my above team is about right, Footscray R1 would look something like:

Prudden/Adams/Lynch
Williams/Cordy/Webb
Dale/Dunkley/Biggs
Maclean/Goetz/Adcock
Honeychurch/Redpath/Daniel

Campbell/Jong/Hrovat

I/C: Hamilton, Footscray players

bornadog
01-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Morris/Collins/Wood
Moyd/Hamling/Murphy
Macrae/Wallis/Hunter
Dickson/Toyd/Stringer

Minson/Bont/Libba

Stevens/Picken/Roughead/JJ

For me Roberts must go to FB and Collins out all together till he proves he can play AFL.

1eyedog
01-02-2016, 11:30 PM
For me Roberts must go to FB and Collins out all together till he proves he can play AFL.

Agreed. There's no way you can pick Collins at FB on potential alone.

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 11:48 PM

Nobody ever proves they can play AFL until they are picked. Everyone is picked on potential alone prior to their first match. Many draftees get picked R1, if Collins does enough through intraclub and NAB, he is entitled to be selected.

Roberts is really intriguing me. I've spoken to a couple of people who attended our match simulations on the Sunny Coast who say everyone played where expected, except Roberts who played CHF and was excellent.

F'scary
02-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Biggs would be very unlucky not to start in the 22. He really added rebound to our defence while doing a good job with the lock down stuff as well. Hamling and Roberts for the starting KPBs. Go with established form.

1eyedog
02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Nobody ever proves they can play AFL until they are picked. Everyone is picked on potential alone prior to their first match. Many draftees get picked R1, if Collins does enough through intraclub and NAB, he is entitled to be selected.

Roberts is really intriguing me. I've spoken to a couple of people who attended our match simulations on the Sunny Coast who say everyone played where expected, except Roberts who played CHF and was excellent.

Not when you've got a more experienced option who has already gone some way to proving they can play the position. That beats the heck out of a speculative kid holding down FB in his first year. If he proves me wrong in the NAB and gets a guernsey I'm happy to eat my words but odds would be on Roberts at this stage.

Rocco Jones
02-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Honey and Hrovat are interesting can anyone see them getting a game early?

I thing they both need to add something to their game.

Hrovat reminds me a bit of Hunter's situation. Hunter was in the VFL for a big part of the season. Despite making poor decisions with his disposal at times, a combination of smarts and hard running meant he regularly found a ton of it for Footscray. I think Hrovat needs to get his tank up and show he can find similar numbers at VFL level.

Honeychurch needs to do the same or be more dangerous around goals. He looked like the defensive forward prototype early in '15 but then struggled to get through games with his high octane energy. Just doesn't get enough of it/fluffs chances/goes out of games for too long at the moment. Have Adcock, McLean and Daniel ahead of him in his type of role.

Do you see Dicko and Hrovat as those types as well that could portntially rotate through the middle and forward line. Will M Boyd play a similar role as he did last year.

I think Dicko covered a lot more ground last year but that's what a good forward should do/Beveridge's expectations. Not too many spots for full time small forwards but Tory is so dangerous around goal I would be loathe to have him away from them for too long.

Rocco Jones
02-02-2016, 07:00 PM

I get what you mean and pretty much agree but if a player is good enough, play them. We don't have start key-defenders. If Collins rips it up in pre-season/NAB games, I think it would be wrong to not play him just because he is a first year player. Plenty of time though.

merantau
09-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I think the jury is still out on Hamling and Roberts, in particular the latter. They are good players but still inexperienced and I don't believe most supporters would say they have cemented their places in the team. The same can be said for a number of other players too - Biggs, Jong, for example - and their are many others who are vying for spots I don't believe we've been in thos position for a long time. I expect the competition to secure a spot will be fierce this year - what's not to like about that!

LostDoggy
09-02-2016, 04:48 PM
http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/best-22-and-player-rankings-western-bulldogs#7XHt4vWC7Dme9y5v.97

SEN have had a crack at selecting our best 22, which is basically the same as picking the R1 team. Strange choices though, with 1 bigman too many for mine and some off positional choices (M.Boyd in the Centre? JJ back pocket? Picken forward pocket?).

Also ranked squad (except the unplayed) from most to least important.

Mofra
09-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Weird best 22 side - not sure too many teams would have two genuine KPPs in the forwardline, two other blokes coming off 50 goal seasons, yet would still put a 200cm ruck/forward on the bench.

I'd actually leave Roughy out and add Biggs or McLean to the team. Biggs can play lockdown back to release JJ into the middle or McLean can play mid/forward and Boyd can spend more time back.

GVGjr
09-02-2016, 05:44 PM
http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/best-22-and-player-rankings-western-bulldogs#7XHt4vWC7Dme9y5v.97

SEN have had a crack at selecting our best 22, which is basically the same as picking the R1 team. Strange choices though, with 1 bigman too many for mine and some off positional choices (M.Boyd in the Centre? JJ back pocket? Picken forward pocket?).

I think this is also their effort with Inside Football. I think they have got a lot wrong

LostDoggy
09-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the 4 talls rotating through ruck/kpp roles supplemented by 2 midsize semi-permanent forwards listed, I think the author is working on the logic that this is the structure both grand finalists used last year.

Hawthorn rotated McEvoy, Roughead, Gunston and Hale through Ruck/KPP roles, supported by Bruest and Rioli.

WCE rotated Naitanui, Kennedy, Sinclair and Darling through Ruck/KPP roles, supported by LeCras and Hill.

I think the author has aped these models in coming up with a Minson, Roughead, Boyd, Redpath through Ruck/KPP roles, supported by Stringer and Dickson line-up.

Not saying I agree necessarily, but it is the model that worked in finals last year, so is at least an interesting point of view

F'scary
09-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Our successful style last year was based around mobility. I can't see us playing a 2nd ruck off the bench, especially with Big Boyd and the Wood Chopper on the forward line.

jeemak
09-02-2016, 09:00 PM
You'd think that only three of Minson, Boyd, Redpath and Roughead would play if the KPF spots are given to Hamling and Roberts.

Wallis to the centre, Boyd to half back and JJ to wing is a possible remedy to the Boyd selection in the centre.

How Tory Dickson can be ranked behind Suckling and Picken is beyond me

I'm of the view one of Honey and Hrovat will surprise this season if they can stay fit and capitalise on another preseason. Matthew Boyd and Tom Liberatore ranked so high in terms of importance to the side might prove to be a miss calculation with the former having to defy usual league trends to stay at the top of his game, and the latter returning from a serious knee injury.

Overall not a bad effort on the side selected, we're fairly even which I think a lot of us acknowledge and it is difficult to differentiate between players from ten onwards.

Twodogs
13-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Sounds like a SuperCoach team.

Rocco Jones
13-02-2016, 01:15 PM
SEN side is rubbish. Definitely will play 1 less tall, I'd go with 2 less.

meenies
13-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Based on todays Family Day match, my top 22-ish..
Blues - Suckling, Murph, Wood, Roberts, Libba, Biggs, Dale, Morris, Redpath
White - Wallis, Bont, Boyd, Dah, Stringer, Hrovat, Roughie, Dickson, Lynch, JJ
Next 3 - Macrae, Hunter, Stevens (for the 22)
Next - Dunkley (better nearing end), Honey (started well), Daniel, JedA, Jong (got it but lost it), Picken

So tough...

Rocco Jones
14-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Any excuse to update my 22

HB: M.Boyd, Adams, Murphy
F: Roughead, Redpath, Dickson
I/C: Suckling, Hunter, Johannisen, Daniel
-----------------------------------------------------
Just a few points:
- rough on Biggs but we have a ton of HB running types. When does a side ever have it's best 22 though? Will play a lot I think.
- KPDs are a bit of a guess. Went with Adams because at least I can see him attacking/getting to the ball.
- Roughy is a real tough one. Fill the gaps type. Do we see our weakness with KPPs/ruck and just go with an extra runner? Not sure where that would leave Roughy.

always right
22-02-2016, 04:00 PM
Sandilands offered a one week suspension. That would be huge for us in round one.

LostDoggy
22-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Sandilands offered a one week suspension. That would be huge for us in round one.

Yep I knew he was in trouble as soon as I saw it. Was pretty much exactly the same as Ivan Maric's incident late last year which cost him a week.

dukedog
22-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Love to see sandi rubbed out

my 22

HB: M.Boyd, Roughead, Murphy
F: Honeychurch, Redpath, Dickson
R: Campbell, Bontempelli, Liberatore

IC: Daniel, JJ, hunter, suckling

Unlucky. Dale, adcock, hamling, minson, rat

F'scary
22-02-2016, 08:20 PM
My try:

C: Hunter, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Stevens, Redpath, Picken
F: Stringer, T Boyd, Dickson
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus

IC: Johannisen, Daniel, Biggs, Jong
Emerg: Dale, Roughead, Webb

Rationale:
a) Bring Libba back slowly through the VFL
b) Reward last year's performers.
c) New guys have to break their way into the side. That includes Suckling.
d) I believe Minson is our best ruckman and can be given a 1 x 5 minute per quarter spell on the bench but this may not be necessary in the first quarter.

dukedog
23-02-2016, 09:58 AM
My try:

C: Hunter, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Stevens, Redpath, Picken
F: Stringer, T Boyd, Dickson
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus

IC: Johannisen, Daniel, Biggs, Jong
Emerg: Dale, Roughead, Webb

Rationale:
a) Bring Libba back slowly through the VFL
b) Reward last year's performers.
c) New guys have to break their way into the side. That includes Suckling.
d) I believe Minson is our best ruckman and can be given a 1 x 5 minute per quarter spell on the bench but this may not be necessary in the first quarter.

What is the reasoning for libba goin via vfl.? Physically not ready?. Mentally?

Rocket Science
23-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Wouldn't overlook the emotional significance - for the team - of Libba rejoining his mates in battle.

Assuming he's deemed to have ticked all the boxes, he has to play round one, even if they initially 'manage' his responsibility to a degree.

B : Wood / Hamling / Morris
HB : Biggs / Murphy / M.Boyd
C : Hunter / Wallis / Macrae
HF : Picken / Redpath / Dahlhaus
F : Daniel / Stringer / Dickson
R : Minson / Bontempelli / Liberatore
I/C : Suckling / Johannissen / Stevens / Roughead
Emer : T.Boyd / Roberts / Adcock / McLean

bornadog
23-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Sandilands out:

Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands has accepted a one-match ban for rough conduct, ruling him out of the Dockers' season opener against the Western Bulldogs.

F'scary
23-02-2016, 07:15 PM
What is the reasoning for libba goin via vfl.? Physically not ready?. Mentally?

Physical - I just keep remembering Clay's comebacks.

Rocco Jones
23-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Physical - I just keep remembering Clay's comebacks.

Clay has re-injured the knee twice. Once at AFL level, once at VFL level.

dukedog
23-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Im still not convinced that the level of game you play in makes a difference. If the knee is ready to go its ready to go. In saying this im no expert... just think the doctors would say your ready or your not.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Im still not convinced that the level of game you play in makes a difference. If the knee is ready to go its ready to go. In saying this im no expert... just think the doctors would say your ready or your not.

Tend to agree, given VFL games are probably by and large played on inferior surfaces, there's a fair argument to say they pose greater risk for a knee injury.

Rocco Jones
23-02-2016, 10:10 PM

Tend to agree, given VFL games are probably by and large played on inferior surfaces, there's a fair argument to say they pose greater risk for a knee injury.

Absolutely. If we are going to rest him, rest him.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 01:27 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-24/freo-injury-issues-mundy-doubt-and-young-gun-sees-melbourne-knee-specialist

We've certainly got less issues than Freo. Aside from Sandilands a definite out, the above article has Mundy and Ballantyne as proppy at present (and Bennell and Pearce have only joined the main group at training this week). R1 was certainly the time to get them.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-02-2016, 12:03 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-24/freo-injury-issues-mundy-doubt-and-young-gun-sees-melbourne-knee-specialist

We've certainly got less issues than Freo. Aside from Sandilands a definite out, the above article has Mundy and Ballantyne as proppy at present (and Bennell and Pearce have only joined the main group at training this week). R1 was certainly the time to get them.

Rnd 1 means Ross Lyon will have had ample time to analyse how to counter us. If we play our way there may not be a counter.

Mofra
26-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Rnd 1 means Ross Lyon will have had ample time to analyse how to counter us. If we play our way there may not be a counter.
If fast ball movement really is going to be a hallmark of our style we may find a way to fit all of Caleb Daniel, McLean and Hunter into the same side.

GVGjr
28-02-2016, 10:22 AM
With Sandilands out of the game does that strengthen the chance of Roughead being the first ruck?

Who would be the likely match-up on Pavlich?

bulldogtragic
28-02-2016, 10:50 AM
With Sandilands out of the game does that strengthen the chance of Roughead being the first ruck?

Roughead could be, I guess. Zac Clarke rests forward a fair bit, is there such thing as a tagger/tagging ruck?

I think we have to use our best defender on Pav, so that's Dale M.

merantau
28-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Have just had another look at Rocco's initial round one team. Looks pretty good to me. At this stage I'd say 18 of his 22 are locked in. With Crameri unavailable that leaves three more spots up for grabs. Roughie's spot must be under a bit of pressure from Campbell. If Campbell is in then either Roberts or Hamling must play. Suckling must come into the side. Perhaps Adcock will get the call-up for Crameri. Glad I'm not on the match committee - it will be burning the midnight oil for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins get the call-up.

Rocco Jones
28-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't let Sandi being out affect our call on the ruck. I think we should play our best 1st ruck regardless every week and match them with a 2nd ruck who can compete when relieving but primarily earn their spot as a forward.

I see Campbell or Minson as our only options at the moment as 1st ruck. Roughy doesn't offer enough around the ground to make up for gap in tap work.

IMO Will is more best tap ruckman. Campbell has him covered in being a 'team player' around the ground if that makes sense. Tom clearly edges him up forward which means he can give 2nd ruck a bit more freedom.

I think Campbell/Roughy combo are suited together as Campbell's ability to play forward means Roughy can spend more time in ruck if he is struggling forward.

Minson and Redpath/T Boyd more suited as Will is as 1D ruck as it gets. Redpath/ T Boyd to play forward and just relieve Will when need.

Injury aside, Redpath has earned his spot in the side as a key-forward and with no Crameri, I believe we will go with an extra tall forward/2nd ruck.

Rocco Jones
28-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Structurally, I think a true 1st ruckman + 2 key-forwards who can both relieve in the ruck is ideal however key-position players/ruck is clearly our weakness and we are strong depth in runners. If Roughy/T Boyd are a liability, we probably will have to go with 1 key-forward who then relieves in the ruck, allowing us to play an extra runner. Perhaps ensuring we go for another bigger bodied mid who can compete physically up forward, Jong is a good example.

LostDoggy
28-02-2016, 09:22 PM
With 4 interchange players again I think we can afford to just rest Minson on the bench for 5-7 minutes a quarter. Don't want him anywhere near the forward line!

I would start with Minson as number 1 ruck with Boyd and Redpath up forward. Boyd to be the 2nd ruckmen. Minson goes to the bench and we play with a small forward line for that time.

If Boyd isn't fit/ready to go we probably have to go in with Tommy C. Whilst it's not ideal playing him and Will in the same side he has shown he can make an impact up forward..

Some huge decisions to be made that's for sure...

Rocco Jones
28-02-2016, 09:38 PM
With 4 interchange players again I think we can afford to just rest Minson on the bench for 5-7 minutes a quarter. Don't want him anywhere near the forward line!

With modern footy/cap rotations, everyone basically spends same-ish TOG. The range would be 80-90%.

I totally agree with you about Will being either ruck or on the bench. He is our best ruckman and terrible up forward. The point I am getting at is that Will has to be paired with a guy who can earn a game as a forward first. 20% time in the ruck isn''t worth 60%+ TOG stinking it up as a forward.

Mofra
29-02-2016, 10:40 AM
In our defence - whichever defender in our zone is closest to him.

If we're repeatedly getting isolated one on one that's a structure problem not an individual problem.

bornadog
29-02-2016, 12:10 PM
In our defence - whichever defender in our zone is closest to him.

If we're repeatedly getting isolated one on one that's a structure problem not an individual problem.

Isn't Pav in some doubt to play round 1?

Mofra
29-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Not sure - he played on the weekend and (in no shock to anyone) was probably their only threat forward.
Ballantyne is in serious doubt and with Sandi out we should go in confident. Fyfe still looks like the best player in the competition.

Axe Man
29-02-2016, 12:37 PM

He's played both NAB games so far so I wouldn't have thought so?

always right
29-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Considering we don't typically play our blokes in negating roles, what do people think will be our approach to limiting Fyfe's influence? Will we simply go head to head and back our players? I'm okay with that but think there needs to be a plan B.

Koby Stevens to run with him midfield and Wood to pick him up when he rests forward?

Bulldog Joe
29-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Considering we don't typically play our blokes in negating roles, what do people think will be our approach to limiting Fyfe's influence? Will we simply go head to head and back our players? I'm okay with that but think there needs to be a plan B.

Koby Stevens to run with him midfield and Wood to pick him up when he rests forward?

Don't mind the idea of Stevens through the midfield, but surely it would be Morris when he is forward. Really can't see us sacrificing the intercept ability of Wood for a pure negating role.

LostDoggy
29-02-2016, 01:36 PM
With the possible exception of Sydney, Freo probably have the best and trickiest inside mid combination in the comp, with Fyfe, Barlow and Mundy all being monsters and Neale the one who can sneak under the guard. This year they'll have an explosive big body in Bennell to throw into the mix on occasion also.

Will be very interesting to see how we structure up. Stevens and Bont will be crucial. Macrae may get more centre bounce time also.

Our midfield looks super exciting this year. R1 will be a great guage of just how exciting.

LostDoggy
29-02-2016, 02:54 PM

I would love to see Bont stand with Fyfe at the stoppages. As good as Fyfe is, he can be slack defensively, if we get first hands Bont could do some damage. Although Stevens would be close, Bont is our best placed mid to match Fyfe physically.

always right
29-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Don't mind the idea of Stevens through the midfield, but surely it would be Morris when he is forward. Really can't see us sacrificing the intercept ability of Wood for a pure negating role.

Concerned about Morris having the athleticism to go with Fyfe. By memory Wood picked up Dangerfield when he went forward last year.

F'scary
29-02-2016, 08:16 PM
my memory from last year's game against Heave-ho was that their midfielders really back themselves to break tackles. If we can make the tackles stick, they're stuffed.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 04:20 PM
The job is getting a little harder again.

chef
06-03-2016, 06:47 PM
FB M.Boyd Morris Wood
HB Murphy Hamling JJ
C Hunter Bont Macrae
HF Suckling Stringer Dickson
FF Dahlhaus T.Boyd Hrovat
R Campbell Wallis Picken
IN Jong Biggs Stevens Roughead

EM Minson Redpath Honeychurch Roberts

F'scary
06-03-2016, 06:52 PM
FB M.Boyd Morris Wood
HB Murphy Hamling JJ
C Hunter Bont Macrae
HF Suckling Stringer Dickson
FF Dahlhaus T.Boyd Hrovat
R Campbell Wallis Picken
IN Jong Biggs Stevens Roughead

EM Minson Redpath Honeychurch Roberts

Like your team but I'd go with Libba over Hrovat if next week works out ok. And I'd have Daniel on the bench ahead of Roughead. We are going to have to go with one ruck and Toyd.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Assuming all are fit:

B: Morris Collins Wood
HB: Murphy Adams Boyd
C: Macrae Libba Suckling
HF: Hunter Stringer Stevens
F: Dahl Boyd Dickson
R: Campbell Wallis Bontmpelli
Int From: JJ, Jong, Picken, Daniel, Biggs, Hrovat, Roughead, Hamling

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Int From: JJ, Jong, Picken, Daniel, Biggs, Hrovat, Roughead, Hamling

Come on BT, 4 IC and 3 emergencies :)

chef
06-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Like your team but I'd go with Libba over Hrovat if next week works out ok. And I'd have Daniel on the bench ahead of Roughead. We are going to have to go with one ruck and Toyd.

I'd prefer us to give Libba a few VFL games first as we have amazing depth so theres no need to throw him in until hes cherry ripe.

Roughead just gives us a bit more flexibility. It was Daniels or Hrovat for me and Nathan has had the better preseason IMO so he got the spot.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Come on BT, 4 IC and 3 emergencies :)

It's a Sunday game isn't it? That means I have until Saturday the day before the game to name the final bench don't I? :)

Bench: Picken, JJ, Jong, Roughy (if he's in Bevo's plan for an extra ruck & swingman)
Emergencies: Daniel, Biggs, Hrovat, Hamling

F'scary
06-03-2016, 07:41 PM
I'd prefer us to give Libba a few VFL games first as we have amazing depth so theres no need to throw him in until hes cherry ripe.

Roughead just gives us a bit more flexibility. It was Daniels or Hrovat for me and Nathan has had the better preseason IMO so he got the spot.

Fair enough. I qualified my inclusion of Libba for Round 1.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 09:19 PM

I feel a Hargraves moment coming on Chef.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 09:22 PM
It's a Sunday game isn't it? That means I have until Saturday the day before the game to name the final bench don't I? :)

Bench: Picken, JJ, Jong, Roughy (if he's in Bevo's plan for an extra ruck & swingman)
Emergencies: Daniel, Biggs, Hrovat, Hamling

It's a rolling first round team selection. There is no problems changing the team as more information becomes available.

always right
06-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Reckon Hamling locked in his position today. Collins and Adams impressive and could fight it our for the other key spot. Roberts disappointing.
Campbell, Minson and Roughy all had solid games. Liked Campbell's marking and he gets the nod for me.
Daniel impressed again. Hrovat continued his strong pre season but just needs to finish his work better.
Jong has thrown a cat amongst the pigeons. Those who didn't have him in their round one team will need to reconsider.
Like Dunkley's game and saw no reason why Redpath and Boyd can't play in the same team.....which means Minson and Roughy miss out.

meenies
06-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Full back is biggest worry. has anyone really stood up for the pressures coming?
Also can we still afford to play Murp, Morris and Moyd all in the back?

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 09:38 PM
It's a rolling first round team selection. There is no problems changing the team as more information becomes available.

The tough issue I've got is Jong looks one too many inside types, but on exposed form he's in front of Daniel, Hrovat, Biggs, Dale or McLean. But Murphy, Boyd, Wood, Suckling & JJ should offer more than enough rebound hurt. I wonder if Jong could have a task around the role of Crameri etc.

I have t go with Roughy not on form though. I'd give Campbell the first ruck, but we need a second or we lose Boyd to the ruck which kills us with a whole defence on Stringer and say Redpath. I'd prefer Boyd play most minutes forward, so if Redpath plays he second rucks, but that's his only two spots. With Roughy he can do forward or back and relief ruck for Soup. I can see Bevo liking the ability to swing Roughie back if one of defenders is having a bad game or wants to close down a ruckman resting forward.

Where's your 22 G? :)

Rocco Jones
06-03-2016, 09:46 PM
B: Wood, Collins, Morris
I/C: Suckling, Hunter, Johannisen, Jong

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 09:48 PM
B: Wood, Collins, Morris

We're together except Redpath/Boyd. Perhaps this is easier than we are all letting on.

Rocco Jones
06-03-2016, 09:55 PM
We're together except Redpath/Boyd. Perhaps this is easier than we are all letting on.

Yeah Tom Boyd is very close. Just short a gallop. I think Roughy can become our 1st ruck, really liked his work around the ground today.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 09:58 PM
I've made some assumptions on availability and this is what I would go with. I suspect the MC will have a different look.

Backs
Murphy - Morris - Adams
Wood - Hamling - Johannisen
Centres
Campbell - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Suckling - Wallis - Macrae
Forwards
Dahlhaus - Redpath - Hunter
Stringer - T.Boyd - Picken
IC
M.Boyd - Stevens - Dunkley - Jong
EMG
Biggs - Daniel - Roughead

I could easily swap Biggs with Dunkley

I have assumed that Dickson is out of the running for round one unless he plays against the Pies.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 10:01 PM
I've made some assumptions on availability and this is what I would go with. I suspect the MC will have a different look.

Backs
Murphy - Morris - Adams
Centres
Forwards
IC
EMG

I have assumed that Dickson is out of the running for round one unless he plays against the Pies.

According to Twitter all players barring Smith and Roarke will be available next week.

always right
06-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Assuming Dickson plays and Dunkley misses, it will come down to a choice between Jong and Daniel. Wow!

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-03-2016, 10:30 PM
This week against Collingwood should sort out our first round team.
Some very difficult choices to be made.
Here goes.
B Biggs Adams Hamling
HB M Boyd Wood Murphy
C Macrae Wallis Hunter
HF Dahlhaus Boyd Suckling
F Stringer Redpath Picken
R Campbell Bontempelli Liberatore
Int.Daniel Roughead Morris McLean
I left Dickson out believing he is injured.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 10:33 PM

Backs
Murphy - Morris - Adams
Centres
Forwards
IC
EMG

So did Hamling have a better game than the first did he? I haven't watched all of the game. Just listened to the bulk of it on the Radio.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 10:35 PM
This week against Collingwood should sort out our first round team.
Some very difficult choices to be made.
Here goes.
B Biggs Adams Hamling
HB M Boyd Wood Murphy
C Macrae Wallis Hunter
HF Dahlhaus Boyd Suckling
F Stringer Redpath Picken
R Campbell Bontempelli Liberatore
Int.Daniel Roughead Morris McLean
I left Dickson out believing he is injured.

NBP, No Johannisen is a bit of a surprise and no Jong is slightly another. Morris on the bench seems strange.
I think JJ is needed and Jong should be close.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-03-2016, 10:39 PM
NBP, No Johannisen is a bit of a surprise and no Jong is slightly another. Morris on the bench seems strange.
I think JJ is needed and Jong should be close.

An error of judgement to leave Jong out who I thought was our best player today and needs to be included. Thanks for the correction. I have preferred Biggs over JJ.

always right
06-03-2016, 10:55 PM
JJ is a lock.

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Backs
Murphy - Morris - Collins
Centres
Forwards
IC
M.Boyd - Stevens - Dickson - Jong
EMG
Webb - Daniel - Roughead

Close call between Campbell and Minson could have gone either way.
If Dickson is injured Daniel comes into the side and Hrovat becomes emergency.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 11:09 PM
So did Hamling have a better game than the first did he? I haven't watched all of the game. Just listened to the bulk of it on the Radio.

I thought he was pretty good. A few good contests plus his pace when the ball us on the ground is a real bonus.
I suspect he is behind some others with the MC but I would pick him.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Backs
Murphy - Morris - Collins
Centres
Forwards
IC
M.Boyd - Stevens - Dickson - Jong
EMG
Webb - Daniel - Roughead

Close call between Campbell and Minson could have gone either way.
If Dickson is injured Daniel comes into the side and Hrovat becomes emergency.

I'd have to think Adams is ahead of Collins for round one selection although I would write off Collins.

Before I Die
06-03-2016, 11:17 PM
I think Collins is likely to take over the fullback role this year, but I'd prefer to give him a few games at VFL level to learn the defensive structures. Adams will also play games this year and just misses out on Round 1. I really believe Biggs should play, but I can't see who could come out for him. The only player under 194cm in this team who isn't an absolute lock is Jong, and his game today puts him in. By contrast every player 194cm or more has a question mark next to their name.

HF: Stevens, Redpath, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, Boyd, Dickson

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Out of Collins, Roberts, Hamling and Adams form wise Roberts is behind the other three up until this point.

Before I Die
06-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Out of Collins, Roberts, Hamling and Adams form wise Roberts is behind the other three up until this point.

Agreed, but good form equates to one good game at this stage of the year. And that is in games where the opposition haven't played their gun key forwards. Cloke, Moore, Galt and White may provide us with a more meaningful measure next week.

Dry Rot
07-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Seems reasonably straightforward.

5 defenders pick themselves, with the last tall spot going to one of Roberts, Adams or Collins.

Ruck will be one of Minson or Campbell.

9 mids/flankers pick themselves: Wallis, Libba, Bont, Macrae, Stevens, Hunter, Suckling, JJ, Picken

4 forwards are certain: Stringer, Dal, Dickson and at least one of Redpath or Boyd. The other two could be one of Redpath or Boyd and a small, or two smalls for run.

The last one or two small spots to be fought out between Jong, Maclean, Dale, Daniel and Biggs.

bornadog
07-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Hamling will play round one, but I have my doubts on Roberts. I thought he disappointed today.

LostDoggy
07-03-2016, 02:11 AM
Bevo's comments on BTC after the match were glowing. Would be very surprised if he's not first ruck R1. My everchanging team would be something like:

Morris/Collins/Wood
Boyd/Hamling/Murphy
Macrae/Wallis/JJ
Dahlhaus/Stringer/Hunter
Dickson/Boyd/Stevens

Campbell/Bont/Libba

Suckling/Roughead/Picken/Daniel

Very tough calls. Jong, Biggs and Hrovat in particular deserve a spot, but there's just not enough spaces.

Eastdog
07-03-2016, 02:18 AM
No Adams or Webb PP

Could still be subject to change depending how they go in NAB3.

jeemak
07-03-2016, 02:33 AM
Boyd, Roughead, Morris
Wood, Hamling, Murphy
JJ, Wallis, Macrae
Hunter, Stringer, Stevens
Dickson, Boyd, Dahlaus

Campbell, Liberatore, Bontempelli

Suckling, Picken, Minson, Daniel

Ozza
07-03-2016, 11:31 AM
JJ is a lock.

I tend to agree on JJ. Think he is in the 'walk up start' category, and will build on his impressive 2015.

My 'walk up starts' list of 15 is;

Suckling
Murphy
Wallis
Bonti
M.Boyd
Dahlhaus
Hunter
Stringer
Wood
Macrae
Liberatore
Dickson
Morris
JJ
Picken

And could make a case that Stevens is in there also.
Just have to fill the other 6 spots - and most of those are for tall players.

1eyedog
07-03-2016, 11:34 AM
JJ is a lock.

No question about it.

Mofra
07-03-2016, 12:44 PM
I tend to agree on JJ. Think he is in the 'walk up start' category, and will build on his impressive 2015.
Can we basically state that everyone rested in NAB2 is in the side if it was being picked this week?
That means Biggs - who didn't leave the side after being picked last year - is in.

Bulldog Joe
07-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Suckling
Murphy
Wallis
Bonti
M.Boyd
Dahlhaus
Hunter
Stringer
Wood
Macrae
Liberatore
Dickson
Morris
JJ
Picken

I agree with your list "subject to fitness" but I would certainly add Stevens and Biggs as well.

There is serious competition for the remaining spots.

Dry Rot
07-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Suckling
Murphy
Wallis
Bonti
M.Boyd
Dahlhaus
Hunter
Stringer
Wood
Macrae
Liberatore
Dickson
Morris
JJ
Picken

OK, let's say Stevens makes 16.

Then it's two of Hamling/Roberts/Adams/Collins. Makes 18.

I reckon Redpath will play. Makes 19.

I think we will only take two of Campbell/Roughead/Minson/Boyd. Makes 21.

So Biggs fights it out for last spot with Daniel, Maclean, Jong, Dunkley (maybe, maybe not) and Dale (maybe, maybe not).

bornadog
07-03-2016, 01:16 PM
OK, let's say Stevens makes 16.

Then it's two of Hamling/Roberts/Adams/Collins. Makes 18.

I reckon Redpath will play. Makes 19.

I think we will only take two of Campbell/Roughead/Minson/Boyd. Makes 21.

So Biggs fights it out for last spot with Daniel, Maclean, Jong, Dunkley (maybe, maybe not) and Dale (maybe, maybe not).

What I think the MC will do

1. Hamling and Adams
2. Campbell, Roughead
3. Biggs

In his press conference, Bevo said this weeks team will be best 22 and close to round 1 team.

soupman
07-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Biggs is a lock. There is a reason he wasn't made to fight for his spot this week like many others.

My round 1 side is as follows:
5. Matthew Boyd 38. Dale Morris 24. Shane Biggs
2. Bob Murphy 30. Joel Hamling 10. Easton Wood
1. Matthew Suckling 3. Mitch Wallis 11. Jackson Macrae
6. Luke Dahlhaus 43. Jack Redpath 7. Lachlan Hunter
9. Jake Stringer 17. Tom Boyd 29. Tory Dickson
15. Tom Campbell 25. Koby Stevens 4. Marcus Bontempelli

39. Jason Johannissen 42. Liam Picken 46. Lin Jong 21. Tom Liberatore

Tough side to pick:
-I'm not fussed about being short in the backline. Freo's fowardline isn't huge, we play zonal defence anyway and Bevo last year was comfortable playing guys like Biggs on bigger opponents. The next key defender up was Adams FWIW.
-Opted to leave Roughead out. He was the next in line tall, but unless he has an excellent game this week he'll come into round 1 with an underwhelming pre-season and Bevo has shown a tendency to prefer smalls. Besides I don't think he offers more than anyone else in that side except maybe Redpath, and I think we will benefit more from Redpath up forward than wherever we put Roughead.
-Both Redpath and Boyd get the nod up forward. These are the two who have been the least impressive but both can chop out in the ruck and offer something different.
-Campbell is winning the ruck race from Will.
-Jong and Liberatore are the only two smalls that might not be picked, and I'm confident Liberatore is 80% locked in. Jong fights it out with Daniel and Hrovat for that last spot to be decided in NAB3.

Bloody tough side to pick when I could easily have put any of Daniel, Hrovat, Minson, Roughead or Adams in there. When players get an opportunity they are going to want to take it because every player on the list is capable of mounting an argument to be selected. The only player on the entire list who I am confident won't play this year is Goetz. Everyone else is completely capable of being selected in the side on merit.

always right
07-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Good summary Soupa. Tend to agree re the backline. Bev likes playing Biggs as the third tall as part of a zone defence.

The three names I am up in the air about are Jong, Daniel and Hrovat. My preference is Daniel simply because of his superior ball use against a team renowned for putting pressure on the opposition ball carrier......but Jong was really impressive yesterday and Hrovat has had a strong pre-season. I have this nagging feeling that Bev will want to reward Hrovat, even though he hasn't quite finished his good work in the two games I've seen so far.

dukedog
07-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Good summary Soupa. Tend to agree re the backline. Bev likes playing Biggs as the third tall as part of a zone defence.

The three names I am up in the air about are Jong, Daniel and Hrovat. My preference is Daniel simply because of his superior ball use against a team renowned for putting pressure on the opposition ball carrier......but Jong was really impressive yesterday and Hrovat has had a strong pre-season. I have this nagging feeling that Bev will want to reward Hrovat, even though he hasn't quite finished his good work in the two games I've seen so far.

Well said. I agree jongy was great on the weekend. Daniel is just so calm and the rat was busy. Wouldnt want to be MC this year. Bulldogs vfl should have a great year.

LostDoggy
07-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Biggs is a lock. There is a reason he wasn't made to fight for his spot this week like many others.

Tough side to pick:
-I'm not fussed about being short in the backline. Freo's fowardline isn't huge, we play zonal defence anyway and Bevo last year was comfortable playing guys like Biggs on bigger opponents. The next key defender up was Adams FWIW.
-Opted to leave Roughead out. He was the next in line tall, but unless he has an excellent game this week he'll come into round 1 with an underwhelming pre-season and Bevo has shown a tendency to prefer smalls. Besides I don't think he offers more than anyone else in that side except maybe Redpath, and I think we will benefit more from Redpath up forward than wherever we put Roughead.
-Both Redpath and Boyd get the nod up forward. These are the two who have been the least impressive but both can chop out in the ruck and offer something different.
-Campbell is winning the ruck race from Will.
-Jong and Liberatore are the only two smalls that might not be picked, and I'm confident Liberatore is 80% locked in. Jong fights it out with Daniel and Hrovat for that last spot to be decided in NAB3.

Bloody tough side to pick when I could easily have put any of Daniel, Hrovat, Minson, Roughead or Adams in there. When players get an opportunity they are going to want to take it because every player on the list is capable of mounting an argument to be selected. The only player on the entire list who I am confident won't play this year is Goetz. Everyone else is completely capable of being selected in the side on merit.

Great summary. One point I'm not sure matters so much is Freo's forwardline. Reckon the MC will just be looking to pick the best week in week out defensive unit and looking to build chemistry ASAP. One thing Bevo isn't big on is tailoring overly to opposition makeup.

F'scary
07-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Like your selections, Soupaman. one issue: has Suckling really cemented a spot ahead of Daniel at this stage?

chef
07-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Like your selections, Soupaman. one issue: has Suckling really cemented a spot ahead of Daniel at this stage?

He'll be straight in. Bevo didn't chase him to work his way in from the ressies.

Mantis
07-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Round 1 is generally a quick game and we need to select with this in mind.

I have 3 spots up for grabs:

* Ruck - one of Minson, Campbell & Roughy - I have Will just in front.

* Key defenders - I'm happy to play Morris on Pav so have one spot for either Adams, Hamling, Collins or Roberts - Hamling for mine at the minute.

* Extra runner - Jong, Hrovat or Daniel - Daniel just, but really liked Lin's game on Sunday.. Be interested to see if he plays this week and how he goes, another solid performance and he probably plays.

The rest is the same as soupaman's.

Mofra
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Rested for NAB 2 and went at 100% efficiency NAB 1, locked in

Throughandthrough
08-03-2016, 12:28 PM

I like it better when the forwards are named first (on the top) and the defenders down the bottom. Bloody Victorians....

Twodogs
08-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Can we play them both?

Ozza
08-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I like it better when the forwards are named first (on the top) and the defenders down the bottom. Bloody Victorians....

Hahahah....and I can't stand it when the forwards are listed on top!

Cyberdoggie
08-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Hehe, I suppose you prefer Ross Faulkners and half red point posts as well?

bornadog
08-03-2016, 03:18 PM

and check side shot

Sedat
08-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Is it you blokes or the Sandgropers who call the 'Forward Pocket' the 'Full Forward Pocket'? :D

Speaking of Sandgropers, I miss the 25m line that was in matches at the WACA and Subiaco in West Coke's first year in 1987

Greystache
08-03-2016, 03:29 PM

And incorrectly taking an imperial measure, a pint (or 568ml) and using it as the description for a schooner (a 425ml cup)... Plus mullets!

Throughandthrough
08-03-2016, 04:23 PM
and check side shot

we invented that kick

bornadog
08-03-2016, 04:30 PM
we invented that kick

You mean the banana kick. :D

Throughandthrough
08-03-2016, 09:34 PM
And incorrectly taking an imperial measure, a pint (or 568ml) and using it as the description for a schooner (a 425ml cup)... Plus mullets!

I don't have a mullet! (any more)

LostDoggy
08-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Here goes Chook Lotto:

From the backline: ;)

JJ-Collins-Murph

M.Boyd-Wood-Adams

Walli-Bont-McCrae

Dahl-Redders-Dicko

Koby-T.Boyd-Package

Campbell-Hunter-Suckling

I/C-Pickers,Jongy,Libba,Mozza

Happy Days
08-03-2016, 11:59 PM
From what I've seen through the intra-club and NABs 1-2 I wouldn't be surprised to see Hrovat given first crack at a small forward/mid rotation spot.

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 11:29 AM
3 players nearly all of us have locked in are Matthew Boyd, Bob Murphy and Tory Dickson, yet none of them have played more than 20% of a single match thus far. If any play less than a half of NAB3 they'd have to be a serious query, which would throw some positions open.

Mofra
10-03-2016, 12:24 PM
3 players nearly all of us have locked in are Matthew Boyd, Bob Murphy and Tory Dickson, yet none of them have played more than 20% of a single match thus far. If any play less than a half of NAB3 they'd have to be a serious query, which would throw some positions open.
Boyd and Murphy are being managed due age you'd suspect, but Dickson must surely be in doubt with injury

Axe Man
10-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Boyd and Murphy are being managed due age you'd suspect, but Dickson must surely be in doubt with injury

I thought I read Dickson and Murphy felt unwell during NAB 1 which was the reason for their limited game time. Very few of our best 22 played in NAB 2, so nothing to be alarmed at there. I assume they will all play NAB 3 and be fine for round 1 as there haven't been any reports of injuries as far as I am aware.

bornadog
10-03-2016, 12:36 PM
I thought I read Dickson and Murphy felt unwell during NAB 1 which was the reason for their limited game time. Very few of our best 22 played in NAB 2, so nothing to be alarmed at there. I assume they will all play NAB 3 and be fine for round 1 as there haven't been any reports of injuries as far as I am aware.

I think Boyd hasn't played at all this preseason, so unless he plays this week he may be in doubt for round 1

Axe Man
10-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Boyd and Murphy named for NAB 3 but Dickson still missing, must be something up with him that we haven't heard about?

Mofra
10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Boyd and Murphy named for NAB 3 but Dickson still missing, must be something up with him that we haven't heard about?
I thought he had some niggles that were keeping him out?

Happy Days
11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Minson in doubt for r1 with a hamstring - lock in Campbell

comrade
11-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Not sure I like the idea of Campbell, Rough, Boyd & Redpath all in the team.

Personally think it needs to be 3 of the 4, especially against a Sandi-less Freo.

Mofra
11-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Not sure I like the idea of Campbell, Rough, Boyd & Redpath all in the team.

Personally think it needs to be 3 of the 4, especially against a Sandi-less Freo.
Ditto - one of them has to go out. A lot riding on NAB 3 in terms of round 1 selection

Mantis
11-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Ditto - one of them has to go out. A lot riding on NAB 3 in terms of round 1 selection

Which one?

From memory I don't think either of Boyd or Redpath have done any ruck work.. Will be interetsing to see if they take part in this role tomorrow as it might give some indication to our likely team make-up.

bornadog
11-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Which one?

From memory I don't think either of Boyd or Redpath have done any ruck work.. Will be interetsing to see if they take part in this role tomorrow as it might give some indication to our likely team make-up.

If you listen to Bevo's press conference, he gives an insight into the talls and round 1. Listen here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-11/beveridge-minson-unlucky-to-miss)

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 05:33 PM
FB: Wood - Morris - Boyd
HB: Murphy - Hamling - JJ
C: Daniel - Wallis - Hunter
HF: Dahlhaus - Stringer - Stevens
F: Hrovat - Boyd - Picken
R: Campbell/Roughy - Libba - Bonti
INT: Suckling - Biggs - Macrae - Adams

- I think the last spot is out of Adams/Roberts and Redpath (assuming Campbell doesn't play). We'll either be short in the ruck if we only go in with 1 ruck and Boyd, or we'll be short in defence if we take in two of Campbell/Roughy/Redpath. No Dickson/Crameri hurts us when making a decision like this but I am still inclined to go Adams or Roberts and then have TC/Roughy alternating with Boyd in the ruck/FF role.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 07:02 PM
FB: Wood - Morris - Boyd
HB: Murphy - Hamling - JJ
C: Daniel - Wallis - Hunter
HF: Dahlhaus - Stringer - Stevens
F: Hrovat - Boyd - Picken
R: Campbell/Roughy - Libba - Bonti
INT: Suckling - Biggs - Macrae - Adams

- I think the last spot is out of Adams/Roberts and Redpath (assuming Campbell doesn't play). We'll either be short in the ruck if we only go in with 1 ruck and Boyd, or we'll be short in defence if we take in two of Campbell/Roughy/Redpath. No Dickson/Crameri hurts us when making a decision like this but I am still inclined to go Adams or Roberts and then have TC/Roughy alternating with Boyd in the ruck/FF role.

Bevo said Dickson will return