PDA

View Full Version : Best At The Boof

bulldogtragic
21-09-2015, 10:50 PM
I've just heard Chris Lewis formerly of WCE talk about how good Super Macpherson was with 'handling himself'.
Dermie last week said Rick Kennedy was a tough bastard, always got a spoil in the head from Rick.
I've heard fables about Douggies ability to make them count too.
Obviously Teddy was a protector of his boys.

This may be slanted to previous generations, and I'm not hoping to glorify violence, but who in our club's history was The Best At The Boof?

Ghost Dog
21-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Barry Hall. By a mile. No other player in recent years has struck such fear into players. The first time in years we had a genuine lethal presence on field. Love the pointy elbows in the air 'I didn't do nuffin' raised arms technique. On a sadder note it should be noted he ended a player's career in his baby Barry years. Ghost Dog does not endorse blatant violence, unless Essendon players are the target.

Second prize goes to Danny Southern's wrestling antics.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Barry Hall. By a mile. No other player in recent years has struck such fear into players. The first time in years we had a genuine lethal presence on field. Love the pointy elbows in the air 'I didn't do nuffin' raised arms technique.

He had my heart in my mouth with 'that' headlock when journos were saying 6-8 weeks etc.

Ghost Dog
21-09-2015, 11:11 PM
He had my heart in my mouth with 'that' headlock when journos were saying 6-8 weeks etc.

Rocket would have too. I was against drafting him. Ended up being one of my favorite players. Gave us some pride, and himself

bornadog
21-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Rick Kennedy for sure. He was fearless. Jacko once said of all players in the then VFL, only Rick wasn't scared of him.

strebla
21-09-2015, 11:22 PM
I thought Mitch Hahn went ok as well as Steven Kretiuk.

Twodogs
21-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Steve Wallis
Ryan Hargrave
Laurie Sandilands
Bones Macghie
Woosher Welsh
Terry Wheeler
Tits Kennedy
Fruitcake Ford
Were all hard men.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Mitch Hahn, The bullock. Fun to watch.

Ghost Dog
22-09-2015, 12:39 AM
I only became a supporter after watching Year of the dogs. I was so moved by it, I thought " That's the club I want to follow".
So I've missed a lot of Bulldogs footy before the 90s. But being an expat I watch a lot of old vision. Tony Liberatore was the only player I know of that sent a player off streaming blood down his face. Mathew knights I think. Was anyone at that game, and can shed some light on it?

LostDoggy
22-09-2015, 12:41 AM
Steve Wallis
Ryan Hargrave
Laurie Sandilands
Bones Macghie
Woosher Welsh
Terry Wheeler
Tits Kennedy
Fruitcake Ford
Were all hard men.

Great list. The surprise was Shaggy Hargrave - never struck me as that type.

Another was Allan Shorty Daniels, apparently even his teammates trod carefully. Short fuse and unpredictable.

Happy Days
22-09-2015, 01:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS3S3icYgdY

Watch it to the end; Joe Frazier wished he could throw a hook like that.

LostDoggy
22-09-2015, 01:44 AM
I stand corrected. :)

I remember being scared of Bones McGhie as a little kid. What a character, bone skinny, heaps of tatts back when only bikers and crims had them, sharpie haircut, dodgy mo, used to smoke during the warm up. Product of a bygone era.

1eyedog
22-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Our coach went alright! Especially against Essendon ;)

ledge
22-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Another was Allan Shorty Daniels, apparently even his teammates trod carefully. Short fuse and unpredictable.

Yep shorty definitely, I witnessed him in action and it wasn't the opposition,
The day willy won the flag and the day before Hardie won the brownlow, think it was Ronnie James first game as well, we were all a bit full at the Waterloo cup hotel.

Mofra
22-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Pound for pound the best boxer we've had at the club.

Looks like a cartoon character but he pulled metal staples out of his stomach with pliers on one of his breaks.

bornadog
22-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Pound for pound the best boxer we've had at the club.

Looks like a cartoon character but he pulled metal staples out of his stomach with pliers on one of his breaks.

Had a black belt in martial arts as well.

bornadog
22-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Shorty Daniels - I remember he was called shorty due to the shorts steps he took when approaching a contested situation. Never ever thought of him as a hard man.

LostDoggy
22-09-2015, 04:43 PM

I started calling him Roy after that game. (Roy Jones).

westdog54
22-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Geez that's a cracking punch. If that was a UFC bout the Ref would be scrambling in to stop the fight.

stefoid
22-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Ha ha, I think you meant Biff. I was expecting an entirely different thread about Boof.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Ha ha, I think you meant Biff. I was expecting an entirely different thread about Boof.

Just when I thought I got away with it... :D

The Doctor
22-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Heath Black deserved that. Watch him throughout the video and see why

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Jimmy Edmond got amongst it. At one game we were behind at half time and Edmond was in the race punching our players as they came off.

Twodogs
22-09-2015, 10:45 PM

I was thinking the thread might be about why we have so many Father/Son draftees when
I read the title.

Jimmy Edmond got amongst it. At one game we were behind at half time and Edmond was in the race punching our players as they came off.

Did he punch the Footscray runner one day?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-09-2015, 10:54 PM
I think he did. He broke his hand punching the wall of the change rooms after a loss

LostDoggy
22-09-2015, 11:17 PM

Good call. He was a fiery bugger.

Back in the day, crowds were allowed on to the ground for 1/4T and 3 Q/T speeches. I remember a 3 Q/T speech at Junction Oval against Fitzroy in 82 or 83 where Bluey Hampshire was critical of Jock, who had to be held back by a few. He was seriously going to throw a few at the senior coach on game day.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Yep that was Jock

bornadog
22-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Need to get a few of these players out of retirement and turn them on the squealer.