PDA

View Full Version : Craig Jennings Departs

bornadog
24-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Another staff member poached:

STAFF NEWS:
Western Bulldogs Craig Jennings has left the club and has taken up a position at the Melbourne Football Club.

Craig was one year into his Opposition Analyst role after 10 years working at the Bombers.

Craig's role at Melbourne is a game analyst and education coordinator.

LostDoggy
24-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Another staff member poached:

Coincedence?

bulldogtragic
24-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Moral of the story: Tank and then get millions in bailouts to overpay for a CEO and head coach who are only there for the huge pay packets, but then also overs on other staff so that teams who just go along doing the right thing struggle to retain their people. I'm sure we could keep all our people if we were given some sort of money to equalise the conditions. If only some concept existed in which clubs without bottomless credit cards from the afl or too big and get over exposed got something to help equalise things. It's a shame mankind doesn't have a term or concept for what this thing could be...

Hotdog60
24-09-2015, 06:35 AM
The industry could revamp the operational side by making jobs have a set pay scale like the public service then getting over paid is not an option to move on. Also you have better control on spending. The downside is you better hire the right person or you can be stuck with them for a long time.

LostDoggy
24-09-2015, 08:14 AM
This isn't the 80s. I'm confident we'll find a good replacement.

Templeton31
24-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Who? Is he related to Geoff?

Greystache
24-09-2015, 10:07 AM
The industry could revamp the operational side by making jobs have a set pay scale like the public service then getting over paid is not an option to move on. Also you have better control on spending. The downside is you better hire the right person or you can be stuck with them for a long time.

I wouldn't be using the public service as an advertisement for anything, especially efficiency.

Strange he'd come to us for one season after being at Essendon for 10 and then move on. Perhaps Bevo didn't rate his performance.

bornadog
24-09-2015, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't be using the public service as an advertisement for anything, especially efficiency.

Strange he'd come to us for one season after being at Essendon for 10 and then move on. Perhaps Bevo didn't rate his performance.

and joining Macca at Melbourne.

hujsh
24-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Would you necessarily have to be stuck with them? If it's a pay scale rather than a salary cap why not pay them out if they're rubbish?

Good thing the private sector is so efficient.

Greystache
24-09-2015, 10:18 AM

Only by comparison.

Maddog37
24-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Must be a Macca disciple.

Happy Days
24-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I applied for this job and offered to do it for $500 a week, they should have hired me.

Remi Moses
24-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Would you necessarily have to be stuck with them? If it's a pay scale rather than a salary cap why not pay them out if they're rubbish?

Privatisation has just been wonderful, the public transport system says hello

Remi Moses
24-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Only by comparison.

Thanks Jeff Kennett

Greystache
24-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Privatisation has just been wonderful, the public transport system says hello

Thanks Jeff Kennett

I had the misfortune to do some consulting in the public hospital system, it would take an incredible genius to design something that could be more inefficient. But hey it's a job for life and that's more important.

LostDoggy
24-09-2015, 07:48 PM
I had the misfortune to do some consulting in the public hospital system, it would take an incredible genius to design something that could be more inefficient. But hey it's a job for life and that's more important.

*ahem* union *cough cough wink wink*

bulldogtragic
24-09-2015, 07:51 PM
*ahem* union *cough cough wink wink*

Are you implying that the HEalth Services Union under Craig Thomson or others was corrupt? No need to imply, it's court record. :)

azabob
16-07-2020, 03:07 PM
Does anyone else listen to his weekly Thursday spot on Gerard Whateley's show? He gives a 7 minute overview of the Thursday night and Friday night game. Starts off by giving each team a "theme" and then goes onto explain how he'd set up if he was on their coaching panel. He also gives the slightest insight on when he was at club land and how he'd link themes back to match day or preparation during the week.

I enjoy listening to him.

bornadog
16-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Does anyone else listen to his weekly Thursday spot on Gerard Whateley's show? He gives a 7 minute overview of the Thursday night and Friday night game. Starts off by giving each team a "theme" and then goes onto explain how he'd set up if he was on their coaching panel. He also gives the slightest insight on when he was at club land and how he'd link themes back to match day or preparation during the week.

I enjoy listening to him.

I usually switch over at around 11am, and have heard him a couple of times talk about the tactics etc. I too enjoy listening to him talk game plans, tactics, strategy. Shame he was head hunted away.

Axe Man
16-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Former Melbourne strategist Craig Jennings hits out at Simon Goodwin’s gameplan (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/footys-best-and-worst-attacking-kicks-why-melbourne-mids-should-be-embarrassed/news-story/48a26705d7c39f296539f4e663d45c07)

Former Melbourne strategist Craig Jennings has made a scathing assessment of coach Simon Goodwin’s gameplan, comparing the Demons to St Kilda’s recent mediocre sides.

Former Saints coach Alan Richardson joined Melbourne on a long-term deal as director of coaching this season and Jennings said the Demons now looked like the “St Kilda model for the last five years”.

“When you were planning for St Kilda in that time they were basically one-trick ponies,” Jennings said.

“They had a strength that was pressure. But if you could nullify that pressure, which is pretty easy to do in some ways because what beats pressure is finding a mark (you would win).

“The challenge for Melbourne at the moment is they can’t defend a mark.”

Jennings called for struggling onballer Clayton Oliver to be moved forward against Gold Coast on Saturday and for the ruck duty to be shared by Max Gawn (defensive half) and Tom McDonald (forward half).

But Jennings pointed out “three clear flaws in Melbourne’s gamestyle” and said the Dees were proving relatively easy to coach against.

“Ultimately you’ve got a defence strategy that’s flawed, a contest strategy that’s not working and definitely an attacking strategy that’s not working,” Jennings said.

“They’re three separate strategies but when they come together they’re totally misaligned. I’m seeing strategies, one for each line, and they just don’t connect.”

Jennings said West Coast’s keepings-off game in the fourth quarter of Round 1 highlighted the “massive flaw” in the way the Demons defend.

“That (tactic) was taken to an extreme level against Geelong a couple of weeks ago,” Jennings said.

“I know that game was very unpopular but from a strategic point of view (Cats coach) Chris Scott absolutely nailed how to beat Melbourne.

“The second thing is their contest. Too many players go to the footy and teams exploit that.

“They just wait on the outside and if Melbourne do win it, they set up pretty well with their players behind the footy and Melbourne give it straight back to them.”

Jennings said the opening bounce against Richmond on Sunday exemplified that. Five Demons – Gawn, Oliver, Christian Petracca, Jack Viney and Adam Tomlinson – tracked a loose ball on the wing, which was won by Tiger Kamdyn McIntosh with four teammates free on the outside.

Jennings said shifting Gawn behind the ball would help plug easy goals and feed Jake Lever with the confidence to bring back his intercept game.

Lever averaged 3.5 intercept marks in 2017 but has taken just five for the year. Jennings said the Demons were trying to mimic Richmond’s 18-man defence by forcing teams to the boundary, but that it was overcomplicated and falling apart.

“I’ve been really disappointed in Melbourne that every team they’re playing is playing the way they look when they win and taking away all the strengths from Melbourne,” Jennings, who departed Melbourne after three seasons last year, said on SEN.

Club great Garry Lyon accused the Demons of playing at a breakneck speed that wasn’t working and it appears they do not have the cream to execute such a slick style.

The Dees have scored from just 32.2 per cent of inside 50s this year, which is the worst conversion rate on record, and Herald Sun analyst Mick McGuane said their midfield was heavy on grunt but desperately needed a splash of class.

Bulldog Revolution
16-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Dont know if its right but I havent been impressed with Goodwin as coach - still seems like a development coach even though hes 3 years in

Remi Moses
16-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Listened to him a few times
Impressive and brings a different perspective
Boy can he name drop though ;)

Remi Moses
16-07-2020, 07:44 PM
To many players going to the footy sounds familiar
Hmmmm

Mitcha
17-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Listened to him a few times
Impressive and brings a different perspective
Boy can he name drop though ;)

Have had the opportunity to hear him speak in person in a group format and agree, loved to name drop and liked to take credit for things that turned out ok and played a bit of blame game deflection when things didn't turn out well. To be honest came across as a bit of a flog.