PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Griffen

BulldogBelle
25-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Ryan Griffen has made no secret of the fact that he is absolutely dying to get into the mid-field position.

How soon do you see him in that position...at the beginning, middle or towards the end of the season?

Hard Ball Get
25-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I think he will get worked into the rotatioin a little more early on and perhaps later in the season start to get some serious game time in there. Its hard with the players we have (boyd, Cross, West, Cooney etc) to get a whole stack of time in there but hopefully as the season goes on he will get more opportunities to have decent stints.

The Coon Dog
25-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Right from the off.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Depends on his fitness level.

He won't spend extended periods in there because of the quality we've already got in there. He'll be apart of the midfield rotation no doubt, but he won't be playing there for 80% of the time for example.

If his fitness level is similiar to last year, he will probably play the same type of role with perhaps a bit more time in the middle.

If his fitness level has risen well, then he'll be used 60-70% of the time I think.

In today's game though, and particuarly our side, there won't be too many players who will play midfield and that's all. We've got a huge rotation list and stars such as Aker, Johnson & Griffen himself will be apart of it.

West & Cross are probably the only two that will only play in the midfield and no-where else.

Towards the end of the season, I'd expect Griffen to be having some big games in the middle.

Dry Rot
25-01-2007, 11:59 PM
A left field suggestion - if it turns out that he's not quite as fit as he should be, how would he go in the forward line?

Mofra
26-01-2007, 09:12 AM
He was playing in the midfield in periods last year - the only real change I can foresee is that his stints in the midfield will slowly increase over time.

alwaysadog
26-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Depends on his fitness level.

In today's game though, and particuarly our side, there won't be too many players who will play midfield and that's all. We've got a huge rotation list and stars such as Aker, Johnson & Griffen himself will be apart of it.

West & Cross are probably the only two that will only play in the midfield and no-where else.

This is a most important point and one that will get to be even more so as more players emerge who can play dual roles. Equally important is understanding that there are an increasing number of roles played in and by the on ball players.

Everyone seems to think that the prime role is midfield, certainly getting our hands first to the ball and clearing centre bounces is important but most of the ball ups and all of the throw ins occur at other parts of the ground and bring other players into the action anyway.

I suspect apart from a running backman role with a license to go forward and kick goals he will be tried at centre bounces, but so will a host of others.

Go_Dogs
26-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I think Griffen will spend more time in the midfield than last season, possibly even taking Cooney's spot until Cooney is fully recovered and ready to resume in the centre. I'd love to see someone like Power, or Addison or someone play Griffens half back role, and really allow Griff to impose himself in the centre. He's going to be just awesome to watch in there.

GVGjr
26-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I think Griffen's best spot is still across half back. I think he reads the play exceptionally well and the drive that he, and McMahon, can generate from there can turn us into an even more attacking team.

mjp
27-01-2007, 06:09 AM
I think Griffen's best spot is still across half back. I think he reads the play exceptionally well and the drive that he, and McMahon, can generate from there can turn us into an even more attacking team.

I strongly agree. What is wrong with playing off half-back with occasional centre square stints? If you want to run and carry, it is the best spot on the ground. I believe that many peoples obsession with 'promoting' Griffen to the midfield is based on the way football was played in years past.

Half-back is a great spot. He plays it well...what exactly is the problem?

alwaysadog
27-01-2007, 07:08 AM
I strongly agree. What is wrong with playing off half-back with occasional centre square stints? If you want to run and carry, it is the best spot on the ground. I believe that many peoples obsession with 'promoting' Griffen to the midfield is based on the way football was played in years past.

Half-back is a great spot. He plays it well...what exactly is the problem?

While I'm tempted to think that some posters won't be happy til we have at least 16 of the 18 playing on ball I also think that some regard it as recognition of a certain status in the team, on the other hand my preference is basically business as usual with a few more forays into the centre square. If a bigger CHB emerges there could be even more work to do at ground level for the likes of Griffen.

Go_Dogs
27-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Whilst the backline is a good spot, someone with Griffen's skills, talent and ability should be, in my opinion played somewhere where he can impose himself on the game more often. He is going to be an excellent midfielder and although he is great off the half back line, I think the team would gain more benefit playing him through the middle.

LostDoggy
27-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Half-back is a great spot. He plays it well...what exactly is the problem? (MJP)

He should play through the middle because....

1. we have a centre clearance / first possessions problem.
2. we could do with one bigger body in there
3. he will learn alot more about the game from there. With his poise and skill, you would hope that he can exert greater influence on games. Just look at the way James Hird was used over the years. There is much to be learnt there, and experience and wisdom will come from playing against a range of top line opposition players.
4. he will need to increase his endurance and stamina, therefore becoming a better footballer
5. team dynamics - we can play other players at half back

On the assumption there are no set positions, does it matter where he is pencilled in or where he starts. This not to say he won't play at half back, just that for his own development and the FLEXIBILITY of the side he should learn the trade of a mid fielder as well.

LostDoggy
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Whats everyone expecting from him this season?

I feel he will definitely take a further step in development, i still would like him to be more of a goal kicker then what he is. He is able to break the lines & take players on, which is something that you need in today's game.

I would love for him & Cooney to really take charge in the midfield, and just dominate teams.

The Coon Dog
04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Whats everyone expecting from him this season?

I feel he will definitely take a further step in development, i still would like him to be more of a goal kicker then what he is..

The coach seems to think he'll go okay, well, actually much better than that.

There is also a view that he may not spend much time off the ground, more rest up forward as Coons did a bit late on last season.

Bulldog Revolution
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I think a half back midfield role the way Simon Goodwin used to do it for the Crows is still his best bet, but I like his drive to improve his fitness and push into the midfield. Like Cooney and Higgins he does have the ability to get clean takeaways at times and slice up an opposition.

Wherever he plays we want him to get a lot of it, so Id fully support giving him spells off half back if it helps him get more touches. I'm not fully sold on resting him forward. For me he has shown more off half back than forward and if there is an area of his game that is not as strong as perhaps it could be its his overhead marking. For a guy of his size and build he could be a difficult matchup but its not really a feature of his game we've ever seen.

Scorlibo
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
The Brownlow beckons . . .

If he can average 25 touches a game through the midfield, he will move into the elite category of players.

I can't wait for our midfield to get up and running. Boyd. Cross. Workhorses who apply great defensive pressure and win a heap of the ball. Cooney. Griffen. Higgins. Explosive attacking midfielders who can turn a game and kick goals.