05-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Surprise. Surprise. Head coach.

Cooney relieved not to have to face Macca again :D

bornadog
05-10-2015, 12:32 PM
The Chemist gets the job. :D

LostDoggy
05-10-2015, 12:32 PM
It's hilarious. Rise, Essendon, and take your place at Richmond's side.

Greystache
05-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Seems a legitimate process. Quality people at Essendon.

Signing a big name without conducting a proper interview process, what could go wrong? :D

Sedat
05-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Was shattered when Hird got sacked and there was a possibility that Essendon could get themselves a decent coach. Thankfully their arrogance and stupidity came to the fore ;)

Could Paul Little have possibly done any more for opposition clubs than what he already has done? This is his final parting gift to the rest of the AFL community :D

Remi Moses
05-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Well the private jet swans into Adelaide and Woisha's coach.
Who would have funked it !
Little's becoming the Geoff Edelstein in the prez stakes

Ozza
05-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Was shattered when Hird got sacked and there was a possibility that Essendon could get themselves a decent coach. Thankfully their arrogance and stupidity came to the fore ;)

Could Paul Little have possibly done any more for opposition clubs than what he already has done? This is his final parting gift to the rest of the AFL community :D

I'm interested to know why you (and others) are of the opinion that Worsfold is a poor coach?

Sedat
05-10-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm interested to know why you (and others) are of the opinion that Worsfold is a poor coach?
He had a playing list, and especially a midfield group, at his disposal that was the absolute envy of the rest of the competition. Imagine having a starting midfield division of Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr (with numerous other quality b-graders to rotate through) and then almost coming up empty-handed in terms of premierships? That list had 'premiership era' written all over them, and yet barely a year after their 1-point flag win it was already falling apart.

I thought his match-day tactics were one-trick in nature and he was so slow at reacting when Plan A wasn't working.

Bulldog Joe
05-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Seems a logical outcome for me.

They have spent the last 3 years under a drug investigation, where apparently nobody is aware of what drugs were actually utilised.

Appointing a trained pharmacist to head up the operation of the playing group makes perfect sense.

Sedat
05-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Appointing a trained pharmacist to head up the operation of the playing group makes perfect sense.
Who was also very good at not being aware of a drug problem existing at his previous club

LostDoggy
05-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Seems a logical outcome for me.

They have spent the last 3 years under a drug investigation, where apparently nobody is aware of what drugs were actually utilised.

Would be a reasonable point until you consider Worsfold's overseeing of the Eagles. A number of his players are still suffering from the battering they gave themselves under Worfold's watch (Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher, Chick, Gardiner are in public domain, who knows how many more?) and he claims not to have noticed anything unusual.

My main critique of Essendon, though, is not the appointment of Worsfold, it is the manner in which they did it.

Given the events of past years, their prime concern should be governance and due process. Yet they approach Worsfold, an Adelaide employee, in a manner that contravenes standards set by AFL clubs (when sprung, they acknowledged wrongdoing and apologised to Crows) and then appoint him in a matter of days.

It is hard to believe that their 7 man selection panel (including the likes of Brad Sewell, Luke Ball, Neale Daniher etc) really conducted a rigorous due diligence of all available candidates in such a short time. The whole thing looks decidedly mickey mouse.

The whole effort from a club, who should be bending over backwards to follow all protocols to the letter, reeks of an arrogance that they should've had the decency to have lost some time ago. At least you'd think they'd have the humility to give the appearance of a thorough governance programme.

Ozza
05-10-2015, 03:57 PM
He had a playing list, and especially a midfield group, at his disposal that was the absolute envy of the rest of the competition. Imagine having a starting midfield division of Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr (with numerous other quality b-graders to rotate through) and then almost coming up empty-handed in terms of premierships? That list had 'premiership era' written all over them, and yet barely a year after their 1-point flag win it was already falling apart.

I thought his match-day tactics were one-trick in nature and he was so slow at reacting when Plan A wasn't working.

I can accept the second part of the above - as that is based on your view of his match day coaching - and makes sense.

On the first part, I don't know. Plenty of teams have had gun midfields, or gun forward lines and it hasn't equated to grand finals/premierships. That same team with the gun midfield, really didn't have a forward line to speak of - so from that perspective - you could say it was a good effort to win a flag. You say that he almost came up empty handed for premierships - but he also nearly won two.

He also gets no credit for building the 'premiership era' team that you speak of?

To me, its staggering that Worsfold could be regarded as a poor coach. He may not be a great coach - but to me, you simply don't get a club working towards successive grand finals if the bloke at the head of the table isn't doing plenty right.

LostDoggy
05-10-2015, 04:04 PM
You can make a fair case either way regarding Worsfold's record at WCE.

One thing's for sure, if he gets similar results at Essendon, he's a frickin genius.

Bulldog4life
05-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Would be a reasonable point until you consider Worsfold's overseeing of the Eagles. A number of his players are still suffering from the battering they gave themselves under Worfold's watch (Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher, Chick, Gardiner are in public domain, who knows how many more?) and he claims not to have noticed anything unusual.

My main critique of Essendon, though, is not the appointment of Worsfold, it is the manner in which they did it.

Given the events of past years, their prime concern should be governance and due process. Yet they approach Worsfold, an Adelaide employee, in a manner that contravenes standards set by AFL clubs (when sprung, they acknowledged wrongdoing and apologised to Crows) and then appoint him in a matter of days.

It is hard to believe that their 7 man selection panel (including the likes of Brad Sewell, Luke Ball, Neale Daniher etc) really conducted a rigorous due diligence of all available candidates in such a short time. The whole thing looks decidedly mickey mouse.

The whole effort from a club, who should be bending over backwards to follow all protocols to the letter, reeks of an arrogance that they should've had the decency to have lost some time ago. At least you'd think they'd have the humility to give the appearance of a thorough governance programme.

They still just don't learn:

The Bombers were one of four AFL clubs sanctioned by the anti-doping body for failing to provide up-to-date player whereabouts information.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/essendon-port-adelaide-richmond-st-kilda-fined-by-asada-for-breach-of-anti-doping-rules/story-e6frf3e3-1227557428023

Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda joined Essendon in being fined $2500 by ASADA for the breach.

Sedat
05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
They still just don't learn:

The Bombers were one of four AFL clubs sanctioned by the anti-doping body for failing to provide up-to-date player whereabouts information.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/essendon-port-adelaide-richmond-st-kilda-fined-by-asada-for-breach-of-anti-doping-rules/story-e6frf3e3-1227557428023

Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda joined Essendon in being fined $2500 by ASADA for the breach.

It was probably written on the back of the sheet that says what happened to all the TB4 and stuff.