PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Pages : 1 [2]

merantau
11-09-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm with jeemak on this one. Apart from those two incidents I thought Suckling was pretty solid. Wrapped up Darling to snuff out goal and he kicked safely into the corridor a couple of times to get us moving forward. Definitely earned his keep this week.

jeemak
11-09-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm with jeemak on this one. Apart from those two incidents I thought Suckling was pretty solid. Wrapped up Darling to snuff out goal and he kicked safely into the corridor a couple of times to get us moving forward. Definitely earned his keep this week.

Why just this one merantau?

I want you to be with me all the time. No questions asked, thanks very much.

Ozza
13-09-2016, 06:08 PM
As much as I nearly blew my lid at the 1 on 1 with Josh Hill moment, and the sprayed torp - once I re-watched the game, he was actually pretty good overall.

I think we should continue to play him.

If not for his playing ability - but also just in case he is one of these lucky blokes who just falls a$$ backwards into premierships as somewhere between their 18th & 22nd best player!! He just seems like that type.

Like a Martin Pike - who was admittedly a better footballer than Suckling - but how's his good fortune;
Isn't selected as one of the 8 players to go to Brisbane after the Fitzroy takeoever, ends up at North and in 4 years there, plays in 2 grand finals with one premiership. Delisted due to 'poor form' (but really discipline issues, butting heads with senior administration & coaches, and an incident on an end of season trip) and Brisbane pick him up before the 2001 season! Timing is everything! 4 more GF's, 3 premierships - and he ends up a 4 time premiership player.

So maybe Suckling will be our Martin Pike...coming off 2 flags (one as the sub!) he wins 3 more here.....

ratsmac
13-09-2016, 08:21 PM
As much as I nearly blew my lid at the 1 on 1 with Josh Hill moment, and the sprayed torp - once I re-watched the game, he was actually pretty good overall.

I think we should continue to play him.

If not for his playing ability - but also just in case he is one of these lucky blokes who just falls a$$ backwards into premierships as somewhere between their 18th & 22nd best player!! He just seems like that type.

Like a Martin Pike - who was admittedly a better footballer than Suckling - but how's his good fortune;
Isn't selected as one of the 8 players to go to Brisbane after the Fitzroy takeoever, ends up at North and in 4 years there, plays in 2 grand finals with one premiership. Delisted due to 'poor form' (but really discipline issues, butting heads with senior administration & coaches, and an incident on an end of season trip) and Brisbane pick him up before the 2001 season! Timing is everything! 4 more GF's, 3 premierships - and he ends up a 4 time premiership player.

So maybe Suckling will be our Martin Pike...coming off 2 flags (one as the sub!) he wins 3 more here.....

Matt Suckling 5 time premiership player, wow. That puts him in with some pretty prestigious company! They'll put a statue of him at the G. I like it.

Remi Moses
13-09-2016, 09:44 PM
I think he's been carrying that Achilles for awhile

Twodogs
14-09-2016, 03:22 AM
Matt Suckling 5 time premiership player, wow. That puts him in with some pretty prestigious company! They'll put a statue of him at the G. I like it.

It should be him tackling Jack Darling to the ground. I know it happened ar Subi but it was pretty. funn,

kruder
14-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Yep, both were him stuffing up. But, as a footy club we can't afford to hang people for missing a long mongrel forward when it goes inside accidentally, when the instruction to bail out with is long mongrel.

Also, Hill had the clear position and clean ball in and Suckling was either going to infringe or do what he did. Not everyone's Dale Morris, Josh Hill's a smart player and not an effort player which is why he gets a game.

The rest of Suckling's game was quite good. You don't hang a bloke for two questionable efforts in a 47 point win, especially when that person actually contributed in other ways.

He allowed JJ to finally get up the field and do some damage while his deep kicking from kick outs is a plus also. Thought his game was solid.

Mofra
14-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Just 5?
Can't see him retiring at the end of the year ;)

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 10:28 AM
I bet he feels he made the right call to jump off Hawthorn and into the Bulldog dream. He should take up stock trading when he retires! :D

EasternWest
17-09-2016, 11:35 AM
I bet he feels he made the right call to jump off Hawthorn and into the Bulldog dream. He should take up stock trading when he retires! :D

Played pretty well last night I thought. Kept it simple and made good decisions with his kicking. Didn't look comfortable under the high ball but didn't shirk either.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Played pretty well last night I thought. Kept it simple and made good decisions with his kicking. Didn't look comfortable under the high ball but didn't shirk either.

I've been happy with his last two weeks. He has limitations and is probably still carrying a hit of that Achilles, but he's playing his role and taking his moments when called upon. Hopefully with another 8 day break he can keep getting healthier, and with a narrower and longer ground he could be really important this week.

S Coast Simon
17-09-2016, 02:27 PM
I realised last night that it's not all suckling' fault as the boys haven't worked out the angles that he kicks. The amount of times everyone started running to the left as he wound up then he kicked it around the corner and they all had to switch direction back to the right. The quickest to respond got the mark. Once they all understand his kicking style he will be an even bigger weapon.

Sedat
17-09-2016, 04:53 PM
The new Martin Pike.

Have liked his 2 finals performances - he's never been a robust one-on-one defender but he always supports his fellow defenders and reads the play well down back. Knows and understands defensive systems like the back of his hand.

bornadog
17-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Very cool and calming last night, great game from Suckers.

angelopetraglia
18-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Yes. Thought Suckling really handled the pressure well last night. There were some important moments where he had to really stand up and he delivered. Mostly made the right decision with ball in hand too.

LostDoggy
18-09-2016, 12:43 AM
Must have been pretty enjoyable for MS last night. Would have been feeling pretty comfortable with the way things have panned out.

jeemak
18-09-2016, 12:58 AM
The new Martin Pike.

Have liked his 2 finals performances - he's never been a robust one-on-one defender but he always supports his fellow defenders and reads the play well down back. Knows and understands defensive systems like the back of his hand.

What he excels at is being in the face of a team mate who is under pressure and asking for the footy to take on the pressure himself. It's not something most defenders nominate themselves for.

His run with the ball and late release to Hunter who found Clay for his first was a thing of beauty. Took on the pressure himself to ensure his team mate had clean air.

comrade
18-09-2016, 08:16 AM
What he excels at is being in the face of a team mate who is under pressure and asking for the footy to take on the pressure himself. It's not something most defenders nominate themselves for.

His run with the ball and late release to Hunter who found Clay for his first was a thing of beauty. Took on the pressure himself to ensure his team mate had clean air.

I thought for sure he'd screwed himself but somehow got the handball away at the last possible second which released Hunter. Was a great moment for Suckers.

Ozza
19-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Had a good game the Pig.

I thought his defensive positioning was top notch - so often he was there to mop up, or in the perfect position to mark the quick/scrambled kick.

He and Biggs always look like they are going to get caught - but rarely do. Both have some audacious moments.

Raw Toast
23-04-2017, 01:46 AM
Suckling is getting a bit of heat at the moment from some supporters, so I thought I'd defend him, at least a bit. As I've said before, we have an excess of half-back flankers (along with a shortage of good ruck options). I think this has been one of the factors in Beveridge (and the coaching team more generally) tinkering with the way we play the game. He wants to find roles for our best ball users - and those with the best vision - and Suckling is clearly in both categories.

After the finals last year (and perhaps also in conversations with coaches), it wasn't clear to me at least if Suckling had a position in our best 22. His kicking could be superb, but he was a liability in the contest, either with the ball in the air or on the ground, and his hand-passing generally seemed poor at best.

To his credit (and my surprise!), I think Suckling has greatly improved his contested ball work this season. He now has pretty decent hands, generally getting the ball of quickly to our advantage when needed, even when being tackled. He's also better at tackling, has halved quite a few crucial contests and kept the ball in to create some important stoppages. And he's not a liability with the ball in the air, and even took an impressive - and critically important - mark forward last week.

I know that he was pretty poor in the first half last week, but he was clearly important in our comeback, and had 9 contested possessions (the highest he has for us) to go with his 26 disposals, 2 goals and 3 tackles. Suckling wasn't as impressive against the Lions, but still had it 22 times, with two goal assists. Yes he should have kicked at least one goal, but he still had a positive impact.

I like his versatility, and especially the vision that complements his skills. But what I like most about him this year, is that we're not at a disadvantage when he's involved in a contest. In other words, we continue to benefit from his skills while being hurt far less by his weaknesses. His spot in the side might still not be secure due to the structure of our list and pressure from the likes of Williams and Daniel, but I think his positives significantly outweigh the negatives at the moment.

hujsh
23-04-2017, 02:02 AM
Has a reputation so when he does something wrong that confirms that reputation people take more notice and remember it.

I agree he's been good this year (except for that horrible patch last week) and improved on his areas of concern. Surprises me every week with some bit of contested or defensive work.

ratsmac
23-04-2017, 02:58 AM
I think he's been ok without being outstanding. I agree that his defensive skills have improved this year as well. Last year he looked to play bruise free football too much. I get that he's the outside player to distribute the ball, but when its your turn to put your head over the ball you do it. It's a brutal sport but thats what they are paid well to do. He is getting caught a bit this year but in his defense teams are definitely hunting us and are closing down our space. We need to tweak his role some more still to utilize his leg canon.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2017, 09:16 AM
He certainly looks a more well-rounded player this year.

I'm a fan of him, but I was a fan of Jordie McMahon, too (second mention for him this morning). Both can turn a game with some brilliant ball use, and also turn the ball over and cost a game with some errors they shouldn't make.

Given our lack of high quality users who can really roost the ball, I'm more than happy to take the very good with the occasional bad.

Good post RT.

bornadog
23-04-2017, 04:29 PM
I think he's been ok without being outstanding. I agree that his defensive skills have improved this year as well. Last year he looked to play bruise free football too much. I get that he's the outside player to distribute the ball, but when its your turn to put your head over the ball you do it. It's a brutal sport but thats what they are paid well to do. He is getting caught a bit this year but in his defense teams are definitely hunting us and are closing down our space. We need to tweak his role some more still to utilize his leg canon.

I can't believe he got caught a few times when other players were standing near by watching him with the ball. For gods sake - let him know he is about to be tackled.

Mantis
24-04-2017, 08:53 AM
I can't believe he got caught a few times when other players were standing near by watching him with the ball. For gods sake - let him know he is about to be tackled.

The blame sits firmly with himself.. Does he think he is the only player on the field?

Hotdog60
24-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Matty Boyd was within 10 metres of him in the centre of the ground when he got run down. You'd think a player of Boyd's experience would have let him know.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Matty Boyd was within 10 metres of him in the centre of the ground when he got run down. You'd think a player of Boyd's experience would have let him know.

The only thing I can think is roof closed, 30 000 people yelling so maybe it was hard to hear.

1eyedog
25-04-2017, 12:13 AM
The blame sits firmly with himself.. Does he think he is the only player on the field?

Do you think he does? He gets run down once and everyone wants to drop him. Just sounds like you've found your new Eagleton.

Mantis
25-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Do you think he does? He gets run down once and everyone wants to drop him. Just sounds like you've found your new Eagleton.

I make one comment about his carefree state when in possession and I have a new whipping boy?.. Whatever.

Webby
25-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Gotta say, imo Suckling needs to put together a very solid block of form before I would consider his signing a success. His first few games for us are still his best. His form fizzled away after that and has seemingly not recovered.

He has some good tools, but like Stringer, he can get a bit overly ambitious at times. Like Stringer, he needs to pull it back to basic meat and two veg footy and let the opportunities present themselves rather that trying to manufacture them too often.

Go_Dogs
25-04-2017, 10:25 AM
The only thing I can think is roof closed, 30 000 people yelling so maybe it was hard to hear.

Bevo alluded to this in his post match conference. He said they were great team lifting run downs for the Lions and we either hadn't been talking enough or the noise was too much. I'd expect it'll be addressed this week to improve our talk around the ball.

bornadog
25-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Bevo alluded to this in his post match conference. He said they were great team lifting run downs for the Lions and we either hadn't been talking enough or the noise was too much. I'd expect it'll be addressed this week to improve our talk around the ball.

The Bont also got caught.

I agree with Raw Toasts assessment, I think Suckling has actually been playing better than last year, and has surprised me. He is getting plenty of the ball, and makes few errors with his disposal. He has even improved his one on one defensive efforts.

I am not sure the ideal position for him, ie whether he should be playing off the backline, or go to the HFF, but the good thing is he can be flexible.

GVGjr
25-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Gotta say, imo Suckling needs to put together a very solid block of form before I would consider his signing a success. His first few games for us are still his best. His form fizzled away after that and has seemingly not recovered.

He has some good tools, but like Stringer, he can get a bit overly ambitious at times. Like Stringer, he needs to pull it back to basic meat and two veg footy and let the opportunities present themselves rather that trying to manufacture them too often.

He doesn't impress me that much but I like your comparison. I know I shouldn't expect consistency from a player like Suckling who takes risks and backs his skills but I think with a slight modification to his style he could become a far better footballer.

Twodogs
25-04-2017, 02:17 PM
He doesn't impress me that much but I like your comparison. I know I shouldn't expect consistency from a player like Suckling who takes risks and backs his skills but I think with a slight modification to his style he could become a far better footballer.

If he could learn to sacrifice his game occasionally and not always do what comes naturally to him he'd make the team much better. A block or a shepherd for a teammate instead of going for the ball, taking his man away from marking contests instead of running to it and creating a crowd. Little things like that would make him a formidable player as opposed to a bit of a one trick pony.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-04-2017, 04:57 PM

Suckling can kick a goal which is his biggest asset particularly without Crameri and Dickson who are proven goalkickers. Find his lack of skill a risk as a defender. Believe both Williams and Webb will turn out better options.

1eyedog
25-04-2017, 05:20 PM
I think he has a reasonable defence. Suckling is the cream on top type of player who excels in a very good side. Last year he was navigating the game plan and learning how his teammates play, this year his role has been stifled by static ball movement and, at times, atrocious skills. He gets to great places and kicks the ball beautifully 90% of the time. He was heavily in the votes against North where he had high 20s and kicked two goals. He also had 30 against Freo. His preseason form showed what he is capable of.

He's averging 23.5 disposals a game and having 1.5 shots on goal. Torching Boyd and Biggs atm.

He's certainly playing his role.

Remi Moses
25-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Agree with others in he's not a great one on one defender, but he has major weaponry in his kicking .
He is prone to a horror spell or two

Twodogs
25-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I think he has a reasonable defence. Suckling is the cream on top type of player who excels in a very good side. Last year he was navigating the game plan and learning how his teammates play, this year his role has been stifled by static ball movement and, at times, atrocious skills. He gets to great places and kicks the ball beautifully 90% of the time. He was heavily in the votes against North where he had high 20s and kicked two goals. He also had 30 against Freo. His preseason form showed what he is capable of.

He's averging 23.5 disposals a game and having 1.5 shots on goal. Torching Boyd and Biggs atm.

He's certainly playing his role.

He's very good at anticipating (or guessing) where a ball will spill out of a huge contest even from 15-20 metres away. Often he will run to a spot quite a distance from a big ugly maul and wait's there until the ball eventually spills out almost to his feet. The first couple of times (it was against Collingwood last year) I noticed it I thought "he can't have been standing there deliberately" but he was.

Eastdog
25-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Suckling's best is very good but at his worst his very poor so the middle ground needs to be s lot closer.

Suckers offers our side a lot with his big left kick but at others times the way he turned it over last week in that 2nd quarter was very bad but later on in the game thankful he got better.

craigsahibee
26-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Still not sold on him.

His deficiencies detract from what I believe is his only weapon and that's his left leg. His right side is virtually non existent.

The net product of his assets/liabilities = a good player. Not brilliant or outstanding, just good.

Ozza
26-04-2017, 03:35 PM
There is more to defence that one-on-one defending.

Suckling isn't playing in defence often at the moment anyway - but when he does, I think he is one of our best at anticipating where the ball is headed, or when to come forward or charge back towards D50.

I think Suckling is just one of those players, who, when it makes a blue - it really stands out. I was as frustrated as anyone with his first half v North, and with a few errors, including being run down from behind on the weekend.

But I think his form as being overall quite good so far this season.

Remi Moses
26-04-2017, 05:18 PM
There is more to defence that one-on-one defending.

Suckling isn't playing in defence often at the moment anyway - but when he does, I think he is one of our best at anticipating where the ball is headed, or when to come forward or charge back towards D50.

I think Suckling is just one of those players, who, when it makes a blue - it really stands out. I was as frustrated as anyone with his first half v North, and with a few errors, including being run down from behind on the weekend.

But I think his form as being overall quite good so far this season.

Don't disagree that there's more to defending than one on one , but teams getting out the back and slingshotting it's an important component .

Axe Man
27-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Ok, who on here is the proud owner of this?
https://i.postimg.cc/pdXWnqq1/suckling.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Woah

Testekill
27-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Cursed image

Dancin' Douggy
27-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Oh jeeeezzzz. I mean E.J.... maybe? Chris Grant possibly? Dancin’ Douggy? DEFINITELY!!!! But Suckling? I mean I have the utmost respect for the man...... but wow. Unless that is Suckling himself that got that tattoo. Similar muscle tone......?

Rocket Science
27-11-2019, 08:59 PM

I'm 99% certain that's Libba's arm.

Nah stuff it. 100% certain.

bornadog
27-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Maybe it is Suckling's arm - :D

KT31
27-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Suckling or a very poor Bubba Smith ?

Eastdog
27-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Suckling or a very poor Bubba Smith ?

Yes I can see a bit of that in it :)

jazzadogs
27-11-2019, 11:37 PM
There are some very strange scars on his forehead and around his mouth, which definitely don't help poor Suckers appearance.

Twodogs
28-11-2019, 12:32 PM
There are some very strange scars on his forehead and around his mouth, which definitely don't help poor Suckers appearance.

Yeah, what's with those?

Mofra
28-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Looks like a ranga's arm, rules quite a few out.

divvydan
28-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Yeah, what's with those?

It could well be a tattoo to cover up something else on the arm, maybe burn marks or something like that.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-11-2019, 04:09 PM
"Suckling" is a cool name even in 30 years when most have forgotten Matthew but the tatt remains.
After all we are all sucklings.

Axe Man
18-02-2020, 05:13 PM
MATT SUCKLING EXPECTING POSITIONAL SHIFT IN 2020 (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/17/matt-suckling-expecting-positional-shift-in-2020/)

Western Bulldogs veteran Matthew Suckling is expecting to be used all over the ground in 2020.

The 31-year-old has made a name for himself across his 171 games as a quality ball user coming out of the backline, but with the Bulldogs boasting plenty of depth at the position, Suckling is ready to be used higher up the ground.

“I spoke to Bevo (Luke Beveridge) a few weeks ago and it’s just about being flexible and on a week to week basis,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“I think Caleb Daniel and Jason Johannisen are so damaging off that half back that there will be games where I float back, but it might be wing or even half forward.

“At the moment I’m just trying to hone my craft in different areas and obviously I’d prefer half back, but probably half back and wing this year.”

The Bulldogs added Alex Keath from Adelaide and Josh Bruce from St Kilda in the trade period to bolster their key position stocks, leading to plenty of external hype.

They were one of the most improved teams across the back-half of 2019, but Suckling wants to keep a lid on it heading into the season.

“We’re just fortunate that we have so many guys at this time of the year on track,” he said.

“If guys outside the club are talking about us, that’s alright, but we know that we need a bit of luck to go our way and early in the year with injuries and close games are crucially important.”

The Bulldogs take on North Melbourne on Friday February 21st in their first game of the Marsh Community Series.

GVGjr
18-02-2020, 06:44 PM
Suckling has gotten better each year with us. Damaging player who fits the Bevo versatile mantra although I think he would be better for us mainly across half back and occasionally on a wing. Despite some persistent injures he has lost none of his pace or his kicking depth

bulldogtragic
18-02-2020, 08:00 PM
He was horrible as a half forward last year. But very good as a half back. I'm not a fan of this.

Caleb Daniel is the best flexible option, and coincidentally wasn't in the team during the last half of the season.

There's a role for Suckling in the best 22, but surely it's where he plays the best footy for the team.

bornadog
18-02-2020, 08:35 PM
He was horrible as a half forward last year. But very good as a half back. I'm not a fan of this.

Caleb Daniel is the best flexible option, and coincidentally wasn't in the team during the last half of the season.

There's a role for Suckling in the best 22, but surely it's where he plays the best footy for the team.

I agree, he has played his best in the backline.

GVGjr
18-02-2020, 08:45 PM

I agree BT, we have enough mid sized forwards that should mean Suckling isn't required in the forward line much at all. Being versatile is great but I think most of us believe he is clearly a better defender and more valuable to the team as a defender

Axe Man
19-02-2020, 10:13 AM
The problem is that Suckling, JJ and Daniel have all played their best footy across half back, but they can't all fit, especially when you add Duryea back in as well. You can't always have players in their best position, sometimes it has to be what's best for the team overall.

Mantis
19-02-2020, 10:37 AM
The problem is that Suckling, JJ and Daniel have all played their best footy across half back, but they can't all fit, especially when you add Duryea back in as well. You can't always have players in their best position, sometimes it has to be what's best for the team overall.

To counter you can't just try and fit your best 22 into the team regardless of where they play.

Mofra
19-02-2020, 10:40 AM
... and Ed Richards and Bailey Williams.

Duryea won't be ready for round 1.

I don't mind the idea of Suckling being a 'game breaker' playing off the bench. Plays into Bevo's "unpredictability" mantra. The counter-idea is that our best football last year was played when we largely played specialist forwards as forwards rather than mixing every player all over the paddock. That means Suckling plays wing or defence, and we're running out of spots.

GVGjr
19-02-2020, 11:10 AM
... and Ed Richards and Bailey Williams.

Duryea won't be ready for round 1.

I don't mind the idea of Suckling being a 'game breaker' playing off the bench. Plays into Bevo's "unpredictability" mantra. The counter-idea is that our best football last year was played when we largely played specialist forwards as forwards rather than mixing every player all over the paddock. That means Suckling plays wing or defence, and we're running out of spots.

Agree, I get that we like to mix things up but Suckling should not be used forward much at all.
With McLean, Lloyd, Dickson, Richards and Dale and then perhaps the likes of Gowers, Greene, Weightman and Cavarra we have more than enough mid sized and smaller forwards to select from.