Suckling (Free Agent)
Picks 20 & 21
Tinkering late picks this year and next

Outs:

Talia
Pick 11
Tinkering later picks

Overall Rating: 7

I'm happy with the pick moves with faith in Dalrymple and his crew. Not landing a ruckman or defender, or anyone doesn't inject new talent where we need it. Talia for nothing sucks. I think it's an ok trade period, but not too much more than that. Jarrad Grant is still up in the air as well. Our captain didn't abandon us this year, so there's that too.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Bump.

Remi Moses
22-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't get it . I keep hearing we need key backs and a ruckman, but we need quality types in those positions .
Not just filling a need for the sake of it .
If it's the draft as the best option, then that's it.

GVGjr
22-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Just some quick thoughts but first up a thanks to BT for starting this thread. I'm hoping we can generate some good discussions.

It's a very competitive environment for clubs in the AFL. Basically 18 clubs are doing everything they can each year to find ways to have a better playing list than the year before. You might argue if Carlton AKA 'GWS Lite' decided to go the other way but who cares.

Clubs look at trading periods, drafts, skill sessions and physical development etc to see what they can do to out perform against other clubs each year and it's a fair statement to say that if you are treading water you are going backwards against the competition.

Based on that, I'm interested in why we were so passive with our list management changes at the end of the season and why were quiet during the trade period. We did a bit of magic on the final day which I think is a good move for us. Getting consecutive picks in the 2nd round gives us a chance to control things better and use pick 30 to balance it if necessary. We appear to be backing ourselves to continue the development of our playing list to not only keep pace with opposition teams but to also sneak ahead of them a but further.

We made a play for Stefan Martin but Brisbane wouldn't deal, we tried to get Carlisle to come in for a meeting or two and were frustrated by him and we also made a play for Lobbe but Port held firm. To me this is a huge acknowledgment by the club that we are need ruckman and a key defender and yet we couldn't get deals done.

Finally we got a deal with Carlton giving them pick 11 for picks 21 and 22 with some minor evening up with late round/future picks.

Suckling adds some experience and has excellent kicking skills but he isn't renowned as having an ability to defend. He's certainly not a needs based player but he should fit in well with our club.

Overall, we have done okay but we have some huge gaps to address and don't appear to want to trade players that to achieve that.

Bulldog4life
22-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I think it will be interesting how we rate our list....on a needs basis....after the draft and rookie. We will have a much better idea then.

GVGjr
22-10-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't get it . I keep hearing we need key backs and a ruckman, but we need quality types in those positions .
Not just filling a need for the sake of it .
If it's the draft as the best option, then that's it.

Isn't the old adage around that you draft for quality and then trade for needs? If so, whats to say that we don't draft another 3 mids and if so how does that set us up?
Somewhere along the line we need to trade or draft for our needs, the fact that we had a crack at getting Martin, Carlisle and then Lobbe is a strong indication that we can't get it done at just the draft table.

bulldogsman
22-10-2015, 07:52 PM
6 out of 10.

I liked especially that the playing group seems very content and we had no big names leaving the club
I liked the Suckling signing and he was reasonably cheap $ wise.
I liked the pick 11 downgrade. Pick 11 could be just as good as pick 20 in this draft IMO. It's a very even draft.
I liked that the club made the right call on Carlisle

I didn't like that we did not secure a signing in our main areas of need, key defence and ruck.
I didn't like that we did not trade Hrovat. We have too many smalls.
I didn't like how the AFL just sat there licking their own balls giving us no option but to trade Talia for next to nothing
I didn't like that we made a very late and expensive play on Lobbe.

bornadog
22-10-2015, 11:10 PM
After 12 players departing last year and with only 5 players with over 100 games left on the list, we were never going to be big players in the trade. Yes we made some enquirers of players like Lobbe, Martin and possibly Tomlinson, but we weren't going to pay overs and compromise the list. The Talia incident probably came as a bit of a surprise for list management and I am sure we would have wanted to keep him - so this has set us back a little. Jmac did say Roughead will be concentrating more on the ruck role in the future, so we have a contigency plan. We will be relying on Campbell stepping up in 2016 and Minson has proven he can still be number one ruck.

So where does that leave us for 2016. We now have to look at the list we have and figure what do we do with the backline? I wouldn't be surprised if Bevo looked at making Redpath a CHB.

Overall, I am happy with what we have done to date. Let's see what happens with picks 20, 21 and 30.

Remi Moses
22-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Isn't the old adage around that you draft for quality and then trade for needs? If so, whats to say that we don't draft another 3 mids and if so how does that set us up?
Somewhere along the line we need to trade or draft for our needs, the fact that we had a crack at getting Martin, Carlisle and then Lobbe is a strong indication that we can't get it done at just the draft table.

The point I'm making is you just don't trade in a player for the sake of filling a need.
There's a lot of mutton dressed up as lamb at this time of year.

GVGjr
22-10-2015, 11:46 PM
The point I'm making is you just don't trade in a player for the sake of filling a need.
There's a lot of mutton dressed up as lamb at this time of year.

Nor do we draft players for needs we go for the best available and the net outcome is we are short on key position defenders and ruckman. Stay the course won't necessarily improve us.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2015, 11:56 PM
Nor do we draft players for needs we go for the best available and the net outcome is we are short on key position defenders and ruckman. Stay the course won't necessarily improve us.

Especially when you cut loose a key position defender and ruckman. I find it hard to fathom we couldn't garner the imagination of any players especially with a willingness to trade away our first round pick. Which we did in any event. We must be the smallest average height of any list.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Probably predictably quiet in the sense that Boyd's contract begins next year and we re-signed all our top young talent. Always had the obvious list changes coming, but a genuine turnover was never on the cards.

I'm less concerned by the ruck situation for now. Roughead, Campbell and Minson is enough for 12 months - I am strongly against drafting an 18 y.o ruck because they simply cannot deliver for at least 4 years. Much easier to find players like Campbell or trade for ones like Hudson. Strongly against over paying for average rucks like Lobbe who don't find the ball, can't mark or play any other position. Basically - ruck is overrated. Wish and hope we'd turn our focus to the real issue, which is our lack of key defensive options. Really feel like we need to draft two - one being a quality young 18 y.o and the other a mature recruit for cover (Brown etc).

Overall, neither here nor there on our approach. Disappointed we didn't address our key defensive issues or get a pick upgrade, but I am happy with trading Pick 11 for Pick 20 & 21 in a touted even draft. As GVG said, we have real flexibility now with those two picks plus our own Pick 30.

Overall, this is where Dally earns his money and reputation - let's hope he really nails it again, because it could be the 'cherry' that pushes us into the top four for years to come.

We'll still need to trade for needs but I'm confident we can do that to some degree in the future.

Webby
23-10-2015, 08:08 AM
The more I think of it, the happier I am with the move to trade pick 11 for picks 20 & 21. I think it signals an intention to go tall - either with 2 key defensive prospects or 1 KD plus 1 ruck.

Quality key defenders seem to go in the 20-40 range more so than any other group. It's a little hit and miss, but with two picks, you're likely to land one goodie.

Examples:
Josh Gibson - undrafted rookie
Michael Johnson - undrafted, psd
James Frawley - pick 12
Alex Rance - pick 18
Scott Thompson - pick 37
Harry Taylor - pick 17
Ted Richards - pick 27
Eric Mackenzie - pick 29
Jake Carlisle - pick 24
Corey Enright - pick 47
Tom Lonergan - pick 23
Jeremy McGovern - pick 44
Tom McDonald - pick 53

Sam Jacobs - pick 72
Todd Goldstein - pick 37
Aaron Sandilands - pick 33 rookie draft

20 & 21 is prime real estate for tall defenders and rucks (who are out of vogue at present).

Picks 20 & 21 are right in the zone to target a good one if Dalrymple is still hot.

Mofra
23-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Picks 20 & 21 are right in the zone to target a good one if Dalrymple is still hot.
We're into Ben McKay if rumours are to be believed
Sam Skinner would probably be available at 30

Picks 20/21 normally are in the "slider" range so last year's Goddard and/or Laverde would suit us nicely (or going back to 2009 - Nat Fyfe please)

GVGjr
23-10-2015, 10:58 AM
I've been a strong believer in the best available approach with our drafting particularly with early selections but as a result of this approach we've ended up with an imbalance of medium and smaller midfielder/forwards.
At some point we need to modify that approach slightly and I think it needs to be this year.
While you should never pass over classy players who could potentially have a 200 game career for you we still need to bring in some bigger guys and with three second round picks I'd like to think we could take two taller guys at those selections.
I would never reach for a player I rated in the 40's at say pick 30 but we do need to be a little flexible.

Our success this year needs to result in a deeper push into the finals in the 2017 and we can't do it with a better balanced playing list.

Mofra
23-10-2015, 10:59 AM
At some point we need to modify that approach slightly and I think it needs to be this year.
Absolutely yes - maybe pick 21 on any talented slider over 6 foot, but picks 20 & 30 we should consider list needs (especially 20 - should be decent KPDs available)

GVGjr
23-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Absolutely yes - maybe pick 21 on any talented slider over 6 foot, but picks 20 & 30 we should consider list needs (especially 20 - should be decent KPDs available)

That's how I would do it. If a player we rate in the top 12 is there at 21 then you pick him up regardless. That's a win straight away because we probably would have selected him if we maintained pick 11. It's the next two picks that we need to shape the list with and do believe there will be a number of good options.

Ghost Dog
23-10-2015, 11:30 AM
I wish I could add something to this, but can't really. My comment is to say that Carlisle has been confirmed as an A-grade idiot and it's written all over his demeanour. I would bet $50 bucks history will show we dodged a bullet there.

To our players, I can imagine some conversations along the lines of ' guys, hell or high water, we simply could not fill the gaps we needed this year. All of you are going to have to stand up to fill those gaps or we are stuffed'.

I don't think we have seen the best of Tom Campbell yet. He was just 23 and competing pretty well in his limited showing under Brendan. Not really a star but will do his job and get better.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Given that we are in the hunt for the 2016 premiership, it is disappointing that we weren't able to trade to improve our weaknesses, ruck and a key backman. The opportunities just weren't there. We will have to rely on further improvements within the current group to grab the opportunity. The draft won't help us with 2016.
Past 2016, this year's draft, the trading of picks and future trading will provide the opportunities to win the flag we're after.

Dancin' Douggy
23-10-2015, 01:10 PM
I wish I could add something to this, but can't really. My comment is to say that Carlisle has been confirmed as an A-grade idiot and it's written all over his demeanour. I would bet $50 bucks history will show we dodged a bullet there.

To our players, I can imagine some conversations along the lines of ' guys, hell or high water, we simply could not fill the gaps we needed this year. All of you are going to have to stand up to fill those gaps or we are stuffed'.

I don't think we have seen the best of Tom Campbell yet. He was just 23 and competing pretty well in his limited showing under Brendan. Not really a star but will do his job and get better.

I've got faith in Campbell to be 'good enough'.

Sedat
23-10-2015, 01:38 PM
You can't rate the trade period in isolation without giving consideration to the amazing work in securing all of our elite and emerging talent on long-term contracts throughout the season. It's not a sexy sell but it is sure as hell more important that what happens during trade week.

Specifically on trade week, to have improved the playing roster (Suckling is a far better player than Talia) whilst also improving our draft position both this year and next, it was a very effective (if a little low-key) trade week for us. After our tumultuous trade period 12 months ago, we were always going to be fringe dwellers this time around - we still had a crack at specific targets and also got creative with exchanging of picks to give ourselves an extra piece of the action in this draft.

Determining whether or not it will be a success will ultimately be determined by who we end up selecting with our first 3 picks in the ND. If we can get a KPD, a mobile and versatile tall/ruck, and another best available with these 3 picks it will balance out the list nicely.

I know we are low on KPD depth on the list but I have high hopes for Zaine Cordy, with a full pre-season under his belt, coming on in leaps and bounds next year. I would also expect to see incremental improvement from Joel Hamling and also Fletcher Roberts as they become even more settled in the senior team next year.

The Doctor
23-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Ins:

Suckling (Free Agent)
Picks 20 & 21
Tinkering late picks this year and next

Outs:

Talia
Pick 11
Tinkering later picks

Overall Rating: 7

I'm happy with the pick moves with faith in Dalrymple and his crew. Not landing a ruckman or defender, or anyone doesn't inject new talent where we need it. Talia for nothing sucks. I think it's an ok trade period, but not too much more than that. Jarrad Grant is still up in the air as well. Our captain didn't abandon us this year, so there's that too.

I'll reserve judgement until after the draft.

Thats because we have decided to invest in it by trading pick 11 for 20 & 21. So I guess we'd be hoping to address our needs there as we were unable to do it in the trade period. I just hope the guys we are after are still there.

always right
23-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Bit of a meh trade period I guess. Tried unsuccessfully to address our most urgent needs so to me the biggest disappointment is that we don't seem to quite have all the tools to challenge for the premiership in 2016......top four yes but the premiership might be a stretch. That means another year to get the list right and of course we are likely to be farewelling Murph, Boyd and Morris at that time. Timing not quite gelling for us it seems. Hope I'm wrong.

bornadog
23-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Bit of a meh trade period I guess. Tried unsuccessfully to address our most urgent needs so to me the biggest disappointment is that we don't seem to quite have all the tools to challenge for the premiership in 2016......top four yes but the premiership might be a stretch. That means another year to get the list right and of course we are likely to be farewelling Murph, Boyd and Morris at that time. Timing not quite gelling for us it seems. Hope I'm wrong.

The timing is never right for us. I can go back to all prelims and show all our deficiencies, and why we didn't have this player or that.

I guess it is the life of a Bulldog. For everything to go right, we need Roberts, Campbell, Roughead and Boyd to come good next season.

Ghost Dog
23-10-2015, 02:16 PM
I'll reserve judgement until after the draft.

Thats because we have decided to invest in it by trading pick 11 for 20 & 21. So I guess we'd be hoping to address our needs there as we were unable to do it in the trade period. I just hope the guys we are after are still there.

So am I right in understanding ( limited! and I might ask some 'dumb' questions so excuse me for that ) we trade pick 11 for 20, 21 as we have enough top shelf players who are coming on, what we really need are 'solid' performers in key areas on the field. So we trade one really good cherry for 2 'decent' cherries, based on need.

always right
23-10-2015, 02:16 PM
The timing is never right for us. I can go back to all prelims and show all our deficiencies, and why we didn't have this player or that.

I guess it is the life of a Bulldog. For everything to go right, we need Roberts, Campbell, Roughead and Boyd to come good next season.

Yep. The fact that Wood came from nowhere (sort of) to become an All Australian shows that some players can improve rapidly. Let's hope so.

Mofra
23-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I know we are low on KPD depth on the list but I have high hopes for Zaine Cordy, with a full pre-season under his belt, coming on in leaps and bounds next year. I would also expect to see incremental improvement from Joel Hamling and also Fletcher Roberts as they become even more settled in the senior team next year.
It sounds risky to me - Zaine has the shoulders of a Cordy, Roberts can't get through a year without missing a chunk through injury.
I'd be happy to take a developing type at the draft (Ben McKay/Sam Skinner) and a mature ager CHB (Hartley/Brown)

GVGjr
23-10-2015, 02:34 PM
So am I right in understanding ( limited! and I might ask some 'dumb' questions so excuse me for that ) we trade pick 11 for 20, 21 as we have enough top shelf players who are coming on, what we really need are 'solid' performers in key areas on the field. So we trade one really good cherry for 2 'decent' cherries, based on need.

In a round-a-bout way I think that is accurate but I would also add that we probably didn't think pick 11 was going to get as a can't miss type player.

LostDoggy
23-10-2015, 03:32 PM
You can't rate the trade period in isolation without giving consideration to the amazing work in securing all of our elite and emerging talent on long-term contracts throughout the season. It's not a sexy sell but it is sure as hell more important that what happens during trade week.

Specifically on trade week, to have improved the playing roster (Suckling is a far better player than Talia) whilst also improving our draft position both this year and next, it was a very effective (if a little low-key) trade week for us. After our tumultuous trade period 12 months ago, we were always going to be fringe dwellers this time around - we still had a crack at specific targets and also got creative with exchanging of picks to give ourselves an extra piece of the action in this draft.

Determining whether or not it will be a success will ultimately be determined by who we end up selecting with our first 3 picks in the ND. If we can get a KPD, a mobile and versatile tall/ruck, and another best available with these 3 picks it will balance out the list nicely.

Great post. I liked this trade period for us: we improved our list whilst maintaining the mantra of long term success. If you look at this year's trade period (and I dare say the draft will be similar) in isolation it looks underwhelming, but in five year's time all will look ok. I am absolutely, 100% convinced that Hamling will be a good player, about 90% convinced on Cordy and 80% Roberts. That ain't too bad.

Think of the opposite scenario, we trade for next year at the expense of 2018 onwards, lose key players to injury or any other unlucky happenstance that befalls teams, miss the 2016 flag and have spent all our tickets.

I reckon you'll get at least two, probably three of those players come good.

Dancin' Douggy
23-10-2015, 03:33 PM
In a round-a-bout way I think that is accurate but I would also add that we probably didn't think pick 11 was going to get as a can't miss type player.

According to most observers the top handful are standouts, some say only the top 2 are standouts, but by pick 11 it's pretty even.

They must have done their lists, and thought, the players we have on our list at 20 and 21 are just as good a prospects as the player we have penciled in at 11, so why not trade the picks?

I'm sure if we had a top 5 pick we wouldn't have done it.

That's what I'm guessing and hoping.

Greystache
23-10-2015, 03:37 PM
According to most observers the top handful are standouts, some say only the top 2 are standouts, but by pick 11 it's pretty even.

They must have done their lists, and thought, the players we have on our list at 20 and 21 are just as good a prospects as the player we have penciled in at 11, so why not trade the picks?

I'm pretty confident that's the case. I think Dalrymple might have a real liking of back to back picks earlyish as well. This will be the 3rd time in 4 years he's had it.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty confident that's the case. I think Dalrymple might have a real liking of back to back picks earlyish as well. This will be the 3rd time in 4 years he's had it.

Interesting pick up.

Definitely merit in it. Bit of a 'wait and see' game for now.

F'scary
23-10-2015, 06:54 PM

That would have to be the Club's thinking. I am presuming they have analysed the draft and decided you could throw a blanket over all the contenders for picks 11 to 21.

azabob
23-10-2015, 08:16 PM

Jason McCartney said they looked at deals to trade up in the draft. When that didn't work they looked at the draft and figured 2 picks in the early 20's was better than pick 11.

boydogs
23-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I've been a strong believer in the best available approach with our drafting particularly with early selections but as a result of this approach we've ended up with an imbalance of medium and smaller midfielder/forwards.

We got Boyd, Hamling and Z Cordy last year, I was hoping for a similar haul this year considering Minson's decline, Talia & A Cordy leaving but not to be.

My hope is that we have KPD & Ruck targets lined up in the draft which could explain why we didn't trade one in. Best available in the 20-30 range might just be the type we need, hence trading down

Sedat
23-10-2015, 10:25 PM
It sounds risky to me - Zaine has the shoulders of a Cordy, Roberts can't get through a year without missing a chunk through injury.
I'd be happy to take a developing type at the draft (Ben McKay/Sam Skinner) and a mature ager CHB (Hartley/Brown)
We're definitely light on as we speak, and I really want us to bolster this part of the ground in the draft. But I also think we have significant incremental improvement to come out of the 3 players I mentioned. And with Morris still thereabouts for another 12 months at least.

boydogs
23-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Good point & I can see why. With gaps between picks you're gambling whether a decent player of the type you are after will still be there at the next one, risking coming away with an unbalanced group

With consecutive picks, you could pick up Rioli at 20 for instance without worrying whether a KPD option will still be around for your next pick

comrade
23-10-2015, 11:24 PM
With FA and the new points system, there has never been a better or easier time to trade in a required player.

I'd be in the ear of Cale Hooker aaaaallllllll year long.

Remi Moses
24-10-2015, 01:20 AM

I get that, but was there quality option available ?
Clearly the club thought not, and I agree we have weaknesses to fill, but they have to be filled with quality

Remi Moses
24-10-2015, 01:26 AM

Great post sedat, and the re-signing of the Bont should be taken into account .
For me it was more important than anything

1eyedog
24-10-2015, 01:54 AM

If we have the capabilities to make top 4 in terms of the structure of our list I have complete faith that we have the individual performers to make it to a Grand Final. It's as much a key back, ruckman, forward or midfielder that can win a Prelim final. Look at Hawthorn and Stuart Dew, Cyril Rioli, look at Lewis Jetta or Malceski for Christ's sake!

Will getting Lobbe make a difference to winning a Prelim next year as opposed to Campbell? What about Henderson or even Carlisle as opposed to Roughhead or Roberts? Jake Stringer, Bont, Libba and perhaps even Tom Boyd have the potential to turn a game of football in half a quarter. We have others as well, actually we have a mass of talent on every line.

IMO how far we go next season doesn't hinge on whether we got Lobbe, Henderson or Carlisle, our biggest chance next year is down to the natural improvement of the list as another season progresses as well as the unsavoury experience of tasting a final and losing.

Rocket Science
24-10-2015, 04:03 AM

Reckon this is a pretty sensible take on things.

We didn't fawn over questionable trade targets. That's the domain of less organised outfits, and certainly us in flakier days gone by. We're much better focused than that now, mercifully.

Suckling is a constructive addition, he's strictly gravy, quality gravy at that, but our real advancement and fortunes lie with the fruits of prior planning, recruiting and logical improvement from within. That's the way we're set up, as a deep, balanced group on the rise, built for the long haul.

Furthermore I'd suggest our finest new addition next season will be one Tom Liberatore.

Look at it this way; if Libba was a new recruit for any other team via trade, only Dangerfield might've been a sexier 'get', and that's subjective, not to mention our bloke's a couple of years younger to boot.

On top of that; while you can debate the respective degrees of individual improvement;

Bontempelli will be better and more consistent.
Tom Boyd will be better.
McCrae will be better.
Hunter will be better.
Stringer will be more consistent.
Jong will be better.
Roughhead will be more settled in a better defined role and more consistent.
Hamling, Roberts and Biggs will consolidate their roles and spots.
McLean, Webb and Daniel will gain confidence and contribute more.
I also think Stevens will be better.

Free agency is a fools' paradise for most. How many players who swapped clubs this year came with significant caveats and risks attached?

Plenty, reel them off. Even better, do the same in a year or two and gauge who's made a tangible contribution to their new club compared to who's wearing as much or more flak for reverting to type irrespective of the colours they're wearing.

Not suggesting we don't have our flaws. Like any outfit - particularly a young one - we do, but I'd increasingly back our current recruiters and coach to address these in due course, and I'm relieved we largely sat this one out. It might not be a headline grabbing approach but it's a supremely prudent one. We're building beautifully under the current regime.

Buckle up I say. And I suspect Bevo's telling the lads much the same thing.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-10-2015, 08:48 AM
And Libba will be back. Can't wait to see him

Avoid the rush
27-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Reckon this is a pretty sensible take on things.

We didn't fawn over questionable trade targets. That's the domain of less organised outfits, and certainly us in flakier days gone by. We're much better focused than that now, mercifully.

Suckling is a constructive addition, he's strictly gravy, quality gravy at that, but our real advancement and fortunes lie with the fruits of prior planning, recruiting and logical improvement from within. That's the way we're set up, as a deep, balanced group on the rise, built for the long haul.

Furthermore I'd suggest our finest new addition next season will be one Tom Liberatore.

Look at it this way; if Libba was a new recruit for any other team via trade, only Dangerfield might've been a sexier 'get', and that's subjective, not to mention our bloke's a couple of years younger to boot.

On top of that; while you can debate the respective degrees of individual improvement;

Bontempelli will be better and more consistent.
Tom Boyd will be better.
McCrae will be better.
Hunter will be better.
Stringer will be more consistent.
Jong will be better.
Roughhead will be more settled in a better defined role and more consistent.
Hamling, Roberts and Biggs will consolidate their roles and spots.
McLean, Webb and Daniel will gain confidence and contribute more.
I also think Stevens will be better.

Free agency is a fools' paradise for most. How many players who swapped clubs this year came with significant caveats and risks attached?

Plenty, reel them off. Even better, do the same in a year or two and gauge who's made a tangible contribution to their new club compared to who's wearing as much or more flak for reverting to type irrespective of the colours they're wearing.

Not suggesting we don't have our flaws. Like any outfit - particularly a young one - we do, but I'd increasingly back our current recruiters and coach to address these in due course, and I'm relieved we largely sat this one out. It might not be a headline grabbing approach but it's a supremely prudent one. We're building beautifully under the current regime.

Buckle up I say. And I suspect Bevo's telling the lads much the same thing.

Gee that's an excellent summary RS! Agree with it all,and can't wait for next season.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Well, with the first game gone the rating just went up again. It was a big call to trade pick 11. But 2 of the 3 top picks debuted in round one and looked the goods. Suckling looks a perfect fit debuting too. Collins will be a 200 game full back too. Plus we invested in project players. Libba can be counted as a recruit too, who looked great.

This is on top of last year with the trades of Tom Boyd & Shane Biggs last year who are looking better and better, Maclean and Daniel impressing - with all 4 playing in round 1 2016 too. While Dale & Webb are great talents. Many of the players cut loose last year have gone backwards in Jones, Tutt, Cooney, Gryphon and Tahyleea can just choke on my vomit.

I think it's safe to say we've backed up a very good 2014 list management period with a very good 2015 list management period. With some outstanding free agents about this year and of course Crameri and another first round draft pick, if we nail 2016 again, I will just get far too excited.