PDA

View Full Version : GWS Recruiting Assistant Suspended.

bornadog
29-10-2015, 05:58 PM
GWS recruiting ass manager Paul Brodie suspended by the AFL for 13 months - now through to Dec, 2016 - for placing a $100 bet on AFL games.

KT31
29-10-2015, 06:03 PM
GWS recruiting ass manager Paul Brodie suspended by the AFL for 13 months - now through to Dec, 2016 - for placing a $100 bet on AFL games.

Seriously, like Jake Carlisle out on the town there is just to many lines here.:D

Pretty steep penalty for one bet.

GVGjr
29-10-2015, 06:04 PM
People are stupid but it's a very interesting length of time to be stood down

bornadog
29-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Seriously, like Jake Carlisle out on the town there is just to many lines here.:D

Pretty steep penalty for one bet.

Doesn't make sense, ie the length of penalty

Brodie breached AFL rules by placing a $100 head-to-head multibet on five round 19 games this year, including one match the Giants were playing in.

GVGjr
29-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Doesn't make sense, ie the length of penalty

KB's morning headlines just write themselves. He will have a field day with someone being stood down for that length of time for having a bet but take illicit drugs and the AFL world is your friend protecting you from losing your career.

bornadog
29-10-2015, 06:15 PM
KB's morning headlines just write themselves. He will have a field day with someone being stood down for that length of time for having a bet but take illicit drugs and the AFL world is your friend protecting you from losing your career.

Yet taking drugs is illegal by law.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2015, 07:28 PM
BAD According to the state of New York, this guy from GWS is not the ass man... :D

soupman
29-10-2015, 08:25 PM

To be fair having inside knowledge and trying to profit from it is far worse than taking a substance that theoretically doesn't affect performance but is otherwise illegal. At least from an AFL integrity point of view.

GVGjr
29-10-2015, 08:41 PM
To be fair having inside knowledge and trying to profit from it is far worse than taking a substance that theoretically doesn't affect performance but is otherwise illegal. At least from an AFL integrity point of view.

I don't see it that way, both are illegal actions and both of them can be an illness but one of them is clearly a more dangerous threat to your physical health.
I have no problems with a penalty being applied to people within the business betting even though it's hard to say he had insider information but compared to the issue around bans for players taking illicit drugs it depends on how many times you have been caught before you could potentially get a 12 week ban.

Paul Brodie has been named, shamed and punished in quick succession but you have to jump through a lot more hoops before a penalty is applied when it comes down to players taking illicit drugs.

I look forward to listening to Bartlett tomorrow.

Ghost Dog
29-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Seems pretty heavy handed. Take away a person's livelihood for over a year for a 100 dollar bet.

GVGjr
29-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Seems pretty heavy handed. Take away a person's livelihood for over a year for a 100 dollar bet.

He's been suspended. It's not clear that he has lost his job or his pay.

azabob
29-10-2015, 09:57 PM
The illicit drug issue and gambling issue are completely different and I don't believe they can be compared.

Why is this heavy handed? Brodie had inside information and used it to his advantage for financial gain. Insider trading, to a degree.

GVGjr
29-10-2015, 10:04 PM
The illicit drug issue and gambling issue are completely different and I don't believe they can be compared.

Why is this heavy handed? Brodie had inside information and used it to his advantage for financial gain. Insider trading, to a degree.

Different yes but I think they can be compared in so far as we have one rule that is enforced with strict penalties and is communicated to all and sundry and another that tries as hard as it can to diminish the seriousness of the act and tries to keep it a secret.

How did they arrive at the 13 month suspension? Is this going to be the same for players?

KT31
29-10-2015, 10:38 PM
To be consistant (like the AFL know what that means) Talia should get a couple of years then.:rolleyes:

Sedat
29-10-2015, 11:18 PM
"Million-to-one shot doc, million-to-one"

Ghost Dog
29-10-2015, 11:29 PM
"Million-to-one shot doc, million-to-one"

What's the reference?

Sedat
29-10-2015, 11:34 PM
What's the reference?
Seinfeld episode, in reference to BT's post - if it's an obscure post in reply to one of BT's obscure posts, safe to assume a Seinfeld reference ;)

Ghost Dog
29-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Seinfeld episode, in reference to BT's post - if it's an obscure post in reply to one of BT's obscure posts, safe to assume a Seinfeld reference ;)

Ah well played. GWS and Gold coast might be suffering some cultural issues owing to their shallow roots. Just my perception?

bornadog
29-10-2015, 11:55 PM
I wrote ass manager - BT followed up beautifully. :D

hujsh
30-10-2015, 12:09 AM
I don't see it that way, both are illegal actions and both of them can be an illness but one of them is clearly a more dangerous threat to your physical health.

It's still their health and depending on the drug there's likely more legal substances that are just as bad or worse. Betting on AFL matches jeopardizes the actual integrity of the code as well as each individual game.

Unless the drug use impacts the performance of the job it should be an issue between the individual and the state/police. The gambling is much more relevant to the AFL

GVGjr
30-10-2015, 12:29 AM
It's still their health and depending on the drug there's likely more legal substances that are just as bad or worse. Betting on AFL matches jeopardizes the actual integrity of the code as well as each individual game.

Unless the drug use impacts the performance of the job it should be an issue between the individual and the state/police. The gambling is much more relevant to the AFL

Gambling in itself isn't a crime although noted than in some instances and can be addictive. In this instance there is nothing to suggest he has a gambling problem but it does suggest he is a fool who hasn't listened to the very clear rules that are in place and he should be sanctioned accordingly.

I can't accept the notion that the AFL should step away from players in their competition taking illicit drugs and I don't understand why anyone would want the AFL to step back from it. The players that enter the competition from the elite pathway have had professional counseling all the way along. Once in the AFL, it's more counseling by the clubs and the AFL. They get the best advice along the way and if they still chose to ignore it then they should be accept the suspensions that go along with it.
For some reason some supporters get savage on players that leave our club for another and feel it's an act of betrayal and yet there appears to be a lot of latitude offered by some supporters if a player takes drugs.

This is not a complex issue, if a player want's to be a part of the AFL then he shouldn't take illicit drugs. It's been drummed into them for years and if they won't listen then they don't deserve a lot of latitude.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2015, 01:25 AM
I just don't get how the rules for football players can be different from other professions.
If you are a teacher or an office worker and you send around vision of yourself doing lines, you lose your job.
Working class people resent how the rules change for players.
Is it wrong to draw a comparison in this way?

Bulldog4life
30-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I wonder if his bet was against GWS?

Sedat
30-10-2015, 02:33 PM
I love how the AFL have become like a desperate, strung-out junkie, hooked on the cash coming in from the gambling agencies, but then act all self-righteous and indignant whenever one of their own has transgressed on gambling (no matter how minor). So stupefyingly hypocritical.

I guess some people might have shown a basic level of foresight with the increased issues with gambling in the game the minute the doors were unlocked on these parasitic organisations, but clearly not the AFL :rolleyes:

Twodogs
30-10-2015, 02:42 PM
I wonder if his bet was against GWS?

It was a multi that included GWS winning.

Bulldog4life
30-10-2015, 03:10 PM
It was a multi that included GWS winning.

Yes just read it in the HUN. A good win of over $900 too.

Twodogs
30-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Yes just read it in the HUN. A good win of over $900 too.

It's the most expensive 900 bucks he's ever won.

Throughandthrough
30-10-2015, 04:43 PM
These guys are told again, again and again not to do things like this. Deserves all he gets for stupidity. All he needs is a Father In Law like everyone else.

bornadog
30-10-2015, 04:45 PM
The beauty of this was he had accepted a job with GWSlite with his old mate SOS :D, now he has resigned completely. GWSlite won't be replacing the role.

hujsh
30-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Gambling in itself isn't a crime although noted than in some instances and can be addictive. In this instance there is nothing to suggest he has a gambling problem but it does suggest he is a fool who hasn't listened to the very clear rules that are in place and he should be sanctioned accordingly.

I can't accept the notion that the AFL should step away from players in their competition taking illicit drugs and I don't understand why anyone would want the AFL to step back from it. The players that enter the competition from the elite pathway have had professional counseling all the way along. Once in the AFL, it's more counseling by the clubs and the AFL. They get the best advice along the way and if they still chose to ignore it then they should be accept the suspensions that go along with it.
For some reason some supporters get savage on players that leave our club for another and feel it's an act of betrayal and yet there appears to be a lot of latitude offered by some supporters if a player takes drugs.

This is not a complex issue, if a player want's to be a part of the AFL then he shouldn't take illicit drugs. It's been drummed into them for years and if they won't listen then they don't deserve a lot of latitude.

There's simply a better argument as to why they should be more harshly treated for gambling on AFL games. There's no moral issue with taking an illicit drug in and of itself while there is with potentially cheating.

Obviously they should avoid drug use because it may negatively impact their performance and it put their career at risk. I'm not saying it isn't stupid but I don't think it's that important.

My opinion that drug use should not be criminal may also play a part in our differing views on this.

GVGjr
31-10-2015, 09:44 AM
There's simply a better argument as to why they should be more harshly treated for gambling on AFL games. There's no moral issue with taking an illicit drug in and of itself while there is with potentially cheating.

Obviously they should avoid drug use because it may negatively impact their performance and it put their career at risk. I'm not saying it isn't stupid but I don't think it's that important.

My opinion that drug use should not be criminal may also play a part in our differing views on this.

To me this is a cop out on a couple of levels but I understand we are coming at this from very different positions.

To make the issue a bit clearer, there is nothing to suggest that Paul Brodie cheated but he broke the rules the AFL have in place that pertain to being in the industry and betting on games and he has paid a substantial price for his stupid act. Despite the education he has received constantly and because he failed to listen to those warnings he has been suspended for 13 months.

As a comparison, despite being told time and time again and receiving more education than nearly all other people in society have access to which informs players that if you want to be in the AFL then you can't take illicit drugs, players can ignore that advice and be given a level of unparalleled leniency before a penalty potentially bites them in the arse to the same manner it has with a guy who put a $10 bet on.

From my perspective, there should be little too no level of leniency in either act but I find it irresponsible that the players get a lot more leniency if they take illicit drugs than a recruiter does if he puts a bet on.

KT31
31-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I think the penalty is a bit heavy handed for a one off $100 bet, from memory Damian Oliver only got ten month for betting $10K on a horse he was racing against.
A decent fine paid out to charity or a couple of month suspension no pay, some education and 'your done and dusted if it happens again' seems suffice in my books.
The real issue for me though is the AFL's inconsistency, if the same infringement happens again they are just as likely to tap the next bloke on the bum and say, "don't let it happen again.

GVGjr
31-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I think the penalty is a bit heavy handed for a one off $100 bet, from memory Damian Oliver only got ten month for betting $10K on a horse he was racing against.
A decent fine paid out to charity or a couple of month suspension no pay, some education and 'your done and dusted if it happens again' seems suffice in my books.
The real issue for me though is the AFL's inconsistency, if the same infringement happens again they are just as likely to tap the next bloke on the bum and say, "don't let it happen again.

$10 bet, $100 win and a $90 profit.

Does anyone else think if it was a high profile player rather than a recruiter the suspension might have been different?

Twodogs
31-10-2015, 10:59 AM
There are suspensions and suspensions. It strikes me the AFL would be the masters of the type of suspensions Marty got on Frontline when he was suspended to Magnatic Island, all expenses payed, for two weeks.

Bulldog4life
31-10-2015, 01:45 PM
$10 bet, $100 win and a $90 profit.

Does anyone else think if it was a high profile player rather than a recruiter the suspension might have been different?

I thought he bet $100 and won $900?

GVGjr
31-10-2015, 03:25 PM
I thought he bet $100 and won $900?
I might have read it different. Either way, silly bet because he knew better

Throughandthrough
31-10-2015, 04:14 PM
I honestly feel that the suspension is fully warranted. TherEs corruption in so many otheR world sports that we don't even want a sniff of it in AFL. He new the risk when he placed the beT.

bulldogtragic
03-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Just for you Sedat (and others), Vic Roads wont allow ASS MAN registration plates.

I find discrimination against proctologists getting relevant number plates as abhorrent as anti-dentite discrimination.