PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To The Western Bulldogs Bailey Williams

bulldogtragic
07-11-2015, 09:27 PM
The newest young man to be selected by our club to help take us to the promise land. Welcome aboard young man.

Twodogs
15-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Will it be a ready to go key defender with this pick? Mitch Brown maybe?

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Bailey Williams . You've taken Jarrad's spot so make us proud. :)

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Had 48 possessions in one game earlier this year. Surprise pick but Dalrymple gets these ones right.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Had 48 possessions in one game earlier this year. Surprise pick but Dalrymple gets these ones right.

Against who?

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Against who?

In the U18 in SA, just read it was over 50 possessions.

Eastdog
24-11-2015, 09:52 PM
In the U18 in SA, just read it was over 50 possessions.

In another thread a woofer said 56 possessions.

choconmientay
24-11-2015, 09:52 PM
This is from the draft-tracker: "Ball magnet whose season for Glenelg in the SANFL under 18s was highlighted by the 56 disposals he picked up against Woodville-West Torrens in July. Also played five reserves games for the Tigers, where he averaged over 11 disposals a game. Recorded a 13.6 beep test at the state screening and tested well for agility. Was initially considered a draft smokey but garnered interest from several clubs as the year went on."

always right
24-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Looking at video footage of him, it strikes me that he is a real footballer. Poise, good disposal and decision making. Looks a player.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the Dogges Bailey.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2015, 10:13 PM
T&T, I'm assuming you're quite happy with this?

bulldogsman
24-11-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm quite excited by this kid

Smads57
24-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Possibly a bit of the Magic man about his highlights package(?)

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 10:33 PM
So now we have Baileys. Sponsorship opportunity.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Looks a real project player. Great potential. Read T&Ts comments in August (!!) about his father. Real upside.

Throughandthrough
24-11-2015, 11:53 PM
T&T, I'm assuming you're quite happy with this?

Just got home from Baileys house. Gave the family a few 2015 scarves and caps. They are Very, very very happy with this. He flies to Melbourne Friday morning I've known Bailey for about 10 years. I'm extremely thrilled! And yes, I was at the match where he had 56 possessions.

Apparently you could hear me on the tv yell out when he was drafted. ( I was at the draft).

Bails. had been promised to be rookie drafted by another AFL club, he wasn't even watching the draft tonight.

I'll put some more info and photos up over the weekend.

comrade
25-11-2015, 12:04 AM
Bails. had been promised to be rookie drafted by another AFL club, he wasn't even watching the draft tonight.

Which one? Kind of hope it was Freo so we totally ruined their night :D

boydogs
25-11-2015, 03:44 AM
Re. Bailey

I've seen Bailey play since he was 7 and he has always been a gifted talent but he has been a late developer physically than many kids his age going through the ranks. This is why he never made junior State teams and not dominant at Glenelg junior squads in the 12 to 16 age bracket. But he started showing signs of being a class above at local club level at my club Brighton last year and we didn't see him at all this year because he was with Glenelg all season and won their U18 B & F despite playing 7 or 8 games in the Reserves. So many juniors dominate and make state teams because of superior strength, size, speed, endurance etc. but get caught up and overtaken by the lads with class and that sixth sense that can't be taught. In my book Bailey is in that latter category. Comparing him to Pendlebury is a big call but he has that similar 360 degree movement and vision with that ability to make space and time for himself without anyone laying a glove on him.

# 71 Collingwood - Bailey Williams (Glenelg / 185cm / 75kg)

Has come to prominence in the 2nd half of the year with some really standout performances not the least of which was the 56 possession game vs Eagles. Has not come through any of the junior pathways and so clubs will look at him as someone with potentially even more upside than others given what they could do with him inside an AFL environment. What stands out about Bailey is that he has time.....oodles of it. He just waits longer in the congestion than other kids would do so he make really decisions on exit. He is beautifully balanced on either side and his hands are exceptionally clean when the ball is on the deck. His ball use by hand is very good and he can handpass off either equally as well. His use by foot won't worry anyone and whilst its not hugely penetrating it is good and he weights and advantages his kicks well. He is already a good runner and tests well for endurance and uses it to best advantage to get as many stoppages as he can. He has some pace but again it will be something that clubs will look to work on with him and build that explosiveness from the stoppage. He is light but he has already shown he has the ability to add weight to his frame and that will continue to come. Its a massive call and he is nowhere near it but he does share Pendlebury traits and it is worth remembering with one year in the talent pathway Pendlebury improved out of site. Williams hasn't had that year yet but suspect he will in 2016.

Why: I think he has a high ceiling and I also think the Pies can afford to give him time to build himself into an AFL footballer given their depth. They would be keen on a taller type but unless someone from above drops I cant see it happening. Maybe Hulett or Allen.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Just got home from Baileys house. Gave the family a few 2015 scarves and caps. They are Very, very very happy with this. He flies to Melbourne Friday morning I've known Bailey for about 10 years. I'm extremely thrilled! And yes, I was at the match where he had 56 possessions.

Apparently you could hear me on the tv yell out when he was drafted. ( I was at the draft).

I'll put some more info and photos up over the weekend.

I did here some screaming when his name was called out as well as a loud chorus of WHO!! :)

Could be the steal of the draft - good luck to Bails.

Ozza
25-11-2015, 10:45 AM
His highlight package is outstanding. Like that we've used a late pick on a player who has made a steep improvement late in the season.

Welcome to the dogs Bailey.

azabob
25-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Credit to you T&T. I must admit when I heard his name called out, I was like, why do I know that name?!

I look forward to you telling us more about Bailey in the next couple of days.

Mantis
26-11-2015, 09:02 AM
His highlight package is outstanding. Like that we've used a late pick on a player who has made a steep improvement late in the season.

Welcome to the dogs Bailey.

There is a fair bit to like about that clip.

Will watch his development with interest next year.

1eyedog
26-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Rarely have I seen a bad highlights package. They're a bit like CVs.

azabob
26-11-2015, 09:59 AM
I was particularly pleased with his overhead marking. He appears to have long arms and could have an extra few CMs to grow.

stefoid
26-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Can someone quickly scan the list of prospective 2016 draftees and identify the Bailey we will take with a 3rd rounder?

Mofra
26-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Can someone quickly scan the list of prospective 2016 draftees and identify the Bailey we will take with a 3rd rounder?
At this rate I'd be surprised if we haven't hidden a Bailey Liberatore somewhere

Ozza
26-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Rarely have I seen a bad highlights package. They're a bit like CVs.

Of course all highlight packages are good - but there are still differences to be picked up on, and you can get a feel for how someone plays.

For me, Williams' highlights showed us he makes good, quick decisions - is brave, and poised. Some of the more important and transferable skills to the AFL style game.

Mofra
26-11-2015, 11:55 AM
For me, Williams' highlights showed us he makes good, quick decisions - is brave, and poised. Some of the more important and transferable skills to the AFL style game.
He does seem to hold the ball which is a double edged sword.

Implies he's comfortable and doesn't rush his delivery, but it also means he will have to work hard to translate his skillset to AFL football as he won't have anywhere near enough time.

Regardless - if you can get the ball 56 times against your peers, you can certainly play.

lemmon
26-11-2015, 12:13 PM
He does seem to hold the ball which is a double edged sword.

Implies he's comfortable and doesn't rush his delivery, but it also means he will have to work hard to translate his skillset to AFL football as he won't have anywhere near enough time.

Regardless - if you can get the ball 56 times against your peers, you can certainly play.

I think it's a trait Dal really likes in his midfielders. You wouldn't say any of Hamilton, Dale, Hunter or Macrae are particularly quick moving through a pack but all are willing to hold onto the footy in congestion for that little while longer to better pick an option. Macrae in particular was renowned for his 'step' as a junior.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Love the frame on BW, can see he's got a lot of developing to do. Long arms too.

One thing I didn't like was that he was very one sided. A couple of times he changed direction to give off on the right, where he should've used the left. Won't get away with that at AFL level, but I'm sure it'll be worked on.

Torpedo
26-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Noticed in the club video of preseason training that the players are kicking with their non preferred leg as part of the drills. Great to see coaches concentrating on improving player skills with both sides when it comes to kicking and handballing. Still amazes me that players get to this level being one sided.

Smads57
26-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the club Bailey. Looking forward to T&T's further posts.

KT31
27-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the Doggies Bailey.

Mofra
27-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Noticed in the club video of preseason training that the players are kicking with their non preferred leg as part of the drills. Great to see coaches concentrating on improving player skills with both sides when it comes to kicking and handballing. Still amazes me that players get to this level being one sided.
Bevo is big on dual sided skills apparently

Throughandthrough
27-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Here's an older photo of Bailey.....

on the left

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3887384386/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3606794473/in/album-72157621853962077/

AND completely off topic, this player was in the same team

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3606803351/in/album-72157621853962077/

Throughandthrough
27-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Here's an older photo of Bailey.....

on the left

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3887384386/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3606794473/in/album-72157621853962077/

AND completely off topic, this player was in the same team

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3606803351/in/album-72157621853962077/

And here's some from this decade

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=93216741@N02&q=%22Bailey%20Williams%22

comrade
28-11-2015, 09:39 AM
And here's some from this decade

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=93216741@N02&q=%22Bailey%20Williams%22

Great pics T&T.

Certainly put on some size in the 2015 shots. Really looking forward to seeing him develop at Footscray and then getting his shot at the top level.

The Doctor
28-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Nice article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/draft-diary-the-week-bailey-williams-live-changed-forever/news-story/ce143b9c00780671bb9672cc8cf1c683

BAILEY Williams’ draft story happened in haste and was one of those that seemed to slip under the radar.

Williams, who was called by the Western Bulldogs at No. 48, had held such scant hopes of getting selected he didn’t even bother watching it or tuning in online when the draft was held in Adelaide on November 24.

He was hanging out at a mate’s house and was oblivious to the life-changing events that had transpired until his manager, former Crows 200-gamer Michael Doughty, was on the phone.

“Congrats,” Doughty said.

“Congratulations on what?’’ Williams asked. “You were just picked up at 48,” Doughty replied, laughing.

From then, his phone was buzzing constantly with mates calling to congratulate him, the club getting in touch with him and a raft of his new teammates sending welcoming text messages. When Williams recalled the night, he said he hadn’t known what to feel. He was just too surprised.

“It all just overwhelmed me,” Williams recalled. “I didn’t really have an emotion. I was just shocked.

“I thought I had no hope in the national (draft), and that maybe the Crows might rookie me.”

Williams came from a long way back compared to the other 10 South Australians who were snapped up in the AFL national draft.

He didn’t play any senior SANFL games, instead improving his game in Glenelg’s reserves, and he missed out on selection for the state’s most fertile recruiting ground, the SA under-18 team.

It goes to show how wide a net AFL clubs cast, because more than one showed a genuine interest in Williams.

There had been times this season when he had been impossible to miss for recruiters who bothered to watch the Bays’ reserves or under-18s. In one of the under-18 games, against Woodville-West Torrens in July, he racked up a whopping 56 disposals, a tally that is believed to be a record for the competition.

The Tigers reserves coach, Magarey Medallist Brett Backwell, spoke highly of Williams.

“Bailey’s a ripper,” Blackwell said leading up to the draft.

“He’s going to be a serious player because he just finds the footy, he’s a really calm, cool customer under pressure and he’s a good size for a midfielder.”

Here’s how his fairytale panned out.

Thursday, November 19

Williams first met with the Western Bulldogs’ recruiting men on the Thursday before the draft. The Bullies were the last club that had interviewed him, but not the only one.

The recruiting staff of AFL clubs are frequent travellers and conduct their business discreetly, which means you generally only hear about their interest second-hand.

Williams met with some clubs at the family home, taking part in long conversations in which the clubs did all the asking and gave little indication of the level of their interest.

Other times, they met at Doughty’s office, and one club even spoke to him during the halftime break of a Glenelg league game.

“The Crows was the first one,” Williams said. “Then North Melbourne, that was after the state combine (testing), we went back to Michael Doughty’s meeting room and had a big one (long meeting).

“Richmond came to my house the day before the combine. And I spoke to Sydney at halftime of a game. We went out to a park and just spoke there. And then the Western Bulldogs was the last one, at home as well.

“I’d had exams, so they had to call my mum to organise it.”

Tuesday, November 24

The Adelaide Convention Centre was packed on AFL National Draft night, full of football tragics, draft hopefuls and their families, broadcasters and press and delegations from each club.

Williams was a world away, unlike several South Australian hopefuls who were in the room, not knowing whether they’d be picked up or leave the city disappointed.

Then came that call ...

Wednesday, November 25

Williams woke up knowing he was an AFL player, but his world continued to tick along in the background.

The top 20 players who had been picked in the draft assembled at Elder Park on the banks of River Torrens the next day and took part in a photo shoot organised by the AFL, and were then interviewed by various news outlets about their exciting futures.

At the same time, Williams was having coffee with the Western Bulldogs’ recruiters, who gave him the basic outline of what would happen next.

A flight had already been booked for Williams, the red-eye early morning departure on Friday, and they would pick him up at the airport in Melbourne.

Thursday, November 26

As Williams came to grips with his impending departure, packing his bags and saying his goodbyes to family and friends, there was a bit more clarity on his itinerary.

The club called and told him he would stay with teammates, one of whom was Lin Yong and the other somebody who’s name had already escaped him, for the first two weeks in Melbourne.

Then he would be moved in with a host family until at least Christmas, and further arrangements would be made from there.

It would be up to Williams when he wanted to move out on his own, or live in a share house with other players.

Friday, November 27

Williams’ mother cried as he prepared to board a plane to Melbourne, but it was still a happy day in the Williams household.

Not only had Williams, 18, realised the first part of his dream in becoming an AFL player, he had also landed at a Melbourne club — making family reunions much easier than if he had landed in Queensland, New South Wales or Perth.

He was told he would receive eight flights a year from the club, and his mother was already looking at booking a flight for the following weekend.

Williams was picked up and taken to the club for a 9.30am appointment with player wellbeing and welfare manager Brent Prismall and the other new players: Josh Dunkley, Kieran Collins and Marcus Adamas.

They also met the coach Luke Beveridge, who welcomed them to the club.

“It’s good to have them all come in as a group,” Prismall said. “They’re a bit of a team within a team in some ways and we really try to sent that message, that they really have to look after each other.”

The first port of call was a tour of the club, and Williams was amazed by the redeveloped, first-class facilities at Western Oval.

Paperwork followed, and then a thorough physical from the club’s physiotherapists and conditioning staff. Williams was still at the club late in the afternoon, and still on a high.

But he was ready to call it a night early, because Saturday morning signalled his first training session as a Western Bulldog.

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Great article, thanks Doc.

Bit odd that he held interviews with 5 clubs including some at his home with his family, but he didn't bother following the draft because he thought he had no chance of being drafted.

Throughandthrough
29-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Great article.

azabob
29-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Great article.

Did you honestly believe he'd get picked? Or rookied at best?

Was the family crows supporters?

GVGjr
29-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Bit odd that he held interviews with 5 clubs including some at his home with his family, but he didn't bother following the draft because he thought he had no chance of being drafted.

More than a bit odd. Even if his manager had told him that he was unlikely to be selected at the very least I'd expect him to be watching it or listening to it even if it was just to hear how other SA boys went especially his team mate in Redman. If you get invited to state testing it means you are on the radar so just a curious nature should have had him switched on to the night.

Nice article on how someones life can change so quickly.

Throughandthrough
29-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Did you honestly believe he'd get picked? Or rookied at best?

Was the family crows supporters?

Yeah, I didn't think he would go in the main draft but thought he had very strong chance of being rookied

Mainly because his name didn't have much "heat" etc, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense

He was at a mates place watching home and away. His family was at his home watching it on the Internet

Funnily enough, his family are a bunch of Glenelg fans first and then Crows fans second.

During this season Bailey spent one or two matches working the scoreboard during Glenelg League games

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Anyone see Williams at training yesterday? I heard from somebody who attended and was glowing in his praise of Williams. Said his skills looked really sharp and that he looked in no way out of place. Also said he was quite vocal during some drills, a really good sign showing the kid feels comfortable and is fitting in straight away.

GVGjr
29-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Anyone see Williams at training yesterday? I heard from somebody who attended and was glowing in his praise of Williams. Said his skills looked really sharp and that he looked in no way out of place. Also said he was quite vocal during some drills, a really good sign showing the kid feels comfortable and is fitting in straight away.

Quick reflexes and handled the pace and tempo of the drills. I'd sort of expect the draftees to handle training at the moment the test for them comes when the really heavy workload starts but yes some good signs especially given the rush to get him over here.

LostDoggy
29-11-2015, 11:39 PM
The club called and told him he would stay with teammates, one of whom was Lin Yong
When did we draft this player? :confused: ;)

bornadog
03-12-2015, 06:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVR3HiKUEAE3Dm3.jpg:large

You might think that the possibility of being drafted to an AFL club would have a potential draftee on the edge of his seat, surrounded by family, straining to hear his name called out.

Not so, Bailey Williams.
“I was at a friend’s house - I wasn’t watching it at all - I was having pasta watching Home and Away and I got a phone call saying I’d been picked up at 48, to the Bulldogs.”

Williams was this week allocated the number 34 guernsey, the same number worn by Brian Gilmore, the man left holding the footy when the final siren sounded on Grand Final day 1954.

The 189cm midfielder said that once he’d heard he’d been drafted it took a little while for it to feel real, at least until all the phone calls started to roll in.

“[I was] shocked. I didn’t know what to feel, actually. My phone wouldn’t stop ringing and then it started to sink in.”
The next step for the South Australian was to make the move to Melbourne, something that had its own challenges.

“Mum cried. But there was people at the airport, so that was good. It’s starting to settle in now living with Josh [Dunkley] and Lin Jong, it’s good.

“They’ve been nice.”

But don’t be fooled by the Glenelg product’s laid back nature. Underneath it all is a fierce competitor with elite level agility and excellent decision making skills.

He can also play forward or back and has a 56-disposal performance against SANFL club, Woodville-West Torrens under his belt.

link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-03/34-for-williams)

LostDoggy
11-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Memo to Lin Jong.

First job: recommend decent hairdresser for new housemate.

always right
11-12-2015, 02:39 PM
When asked about his 50+ disposal game in the SANFL reserves he mentioned that his team got smashed in that game! I had always assumed his high posession game was based on his side giving a weak opposition a hiding. Imagine if his team were the ones dominating.

Twodogs
11-12-2015, 03:05 PM
When asked about his 50+ disposal game in the SANFL reserves he mentioned that his team got smashed in that game! I had always assumed his high posession game was based on his side giving a weak opposition a hiding. Imagine if his team were the ones dominating.

Just hope it wasn't a savvy opposition that didn't mind how many touches he got because he wasn't hurting them. Or his opponent ran off him and kicked 12 from the centre but we probably would have read about that.

Throughandthrough
11-12-2015, 09:10 PM

Was an under 18s match vs the eventual premiers, wwt. Iirc was during the 18s carnival and also clashed with private school footy so both teams where weakened. Glenelg had a player pull out before the match and didn't have a replacement so where one player down to start with. Then a reserves player (playing the next day) withdrew so one of the 18s (a tall forward) was withdrawn early during the third quarter. Bailey and another player (jay Boyle) played 100% match time. Boyle had 45 or so possessions as well.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 11:42 PM
In anticipation of being in the final team for Sunday, good luck to Williams, hope he plays a ripper.

Mantis
13-05-2016, 09:41 AM
In anticipation of being in the final team for Sunday, good luck to Williams, hope he plays a ripper.

Are you anticipating that he will be selected?

soupman
13-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Are you anticipating that he will be selected?

Didn't Beveridge say at the start of the week that they will look to replace Adams with one of Williams, Collins, Cordy or Hamling? It's hardly anything worth going off but Williams is the only one of that group to be in the squad and the only defender amongst the inclusions.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Didn't Beveridge say at the start of the week that they will look to replace Adams with one of Williams, Collins, Cordy or Hamling? It's hardly anything worth going off but Williams is the only one of that group to be in the squad and the only defender amongst the inclusions.

yes, that is what I was going on.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Good Luck Bailey - confirmed starter on Sunday.

Axe Man
13-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Who will present the number 34 guernsey to Bailey?

Mark West?
Wayde Skipper?
Ben Sexton?
Michael McKenna?

Not exactly a star studded selection to pick from!

LostDoggy
13-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Probably Ben Sexton?

westdog54
13-05-2016, 09:11 PM
We could do worse than get Mark West in to talk about making the most of opportunities while you have them.

dukedog
13-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Did not expect that inclusion. But. Doesnt surprise me. Well done son. Take your chance. While im at it. Keep pressing HC. You will get your chance my boy. Unlucky to miss.

ratsmac
13-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Good luck Bailey!

Surprised by his selection but I'm not surprised! (does that make sense, probably not). He has looked like a player from day dot. He looked raw but he has definitely something. Hopefully on Sunday he has a good game.

Twodogs
13-05-2016, 11:46 PM

Mark West?
Wayde Skipper?
Ben Sexton?
Michael McKenna?

Gordon Casey was a big Vee rep and spent a lifetime in coaching. He wore 34.

Or Tery Wheelers brothe who was tragically killed in an accident years ago wore 34. It'd be a great excuse to get wheels back. He could talk about what having the locker next to his brother was like.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Having seen him a few times over pre-season and the VFL, I'm not surprised he's in.

He has a lot of work to do before he'll become a consistent AFL player, however he's shown he's capable at reading the ball in flight and impacting an aerial contest (important this week), whilst not super quick he has wheels and can use them (important at the G) and he adds some surety to our ball use out of the back half (big ask for a kid in his first game, but he's been solid from what I've seen).

His inclusion will allow Hunter to player further up the field (better for him, and his confidence).

The only downside is it's going to get confusing with Williams and Dale in the team.

always right
14-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Dale Morris, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams. There's a pattern emerging. Expecting us to draft someone with the first name William.

Bulldog Revolution
14-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Has looked very promising in the VFL and I feel pretty confident he will make a good fist of it

AndrewP6
14-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I guess Wayde Skipper was unavailable... Big Bazza presents Williams' jumper...
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-05-14/barry-hall-presents-williams-guernsey

bornadog
14-05-2016, 02:01 PM

Mark West?
Wayde Skipper?
Ben Sexton?
Michael McKenna?

Barry Hall - see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-05-14/barry-hall-presents-williams-guernsey)

Eastdog
14-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Good luck Bailey Williams. I hope he has very good debut game.

Eastdog
14-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Barry Hall - see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-05-14/barry-hall-presents-williams-guernsey)

Great video. Bob, Bazza spoke very well. Bailey said a few brief words.

F'scary
14-05-2016, 06:37 PM
That is the thing with Bazza. Only played a couple of (eventful) seasons with us at the end of his career but...lifelong Bulldogs supporter

Bulldog4life
14-05-2016, 07:11 PM
That is the thing with Bazza. Only played a couple of (eventful) seasons with us at the end of his career but...lifelong Bulldogs supporter

Yes I really enjoyed watching him in those years with us.

Eastdog
14-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Yes I really enjoyed watching him in those years with us.

He had a very good time with us. Wish we got him a bit earlier but it's now history. Great that Bazza is a Dogs fan.

Remi Moses
14-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Nice touch from Barry . He didn't spend long in the Colours, but made quite an impact

Daughter of the West
14-05-2016, 09:25 PM
Nice touch from Barry . He didn't spend long in the Colours, but made quite an impact

One of my favourite days at the footy was that NAB cup win where he kicked, was it seven? The chorus of the crowd in the last quarter - "BAAAAAAAARRRRRRYYYYYY, BAAAAAAAAARRRRRRYYYY!"

Twodogs
15-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Dale Morris, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams. There's a pattern emerging. Expecting us to draft someone with the first name William.

Or Morris.

AndrewP6
15-05-2016, 01:31 PM
William Dale Morris Bailey ( the first).

bulldogtragic
15-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Looks ok, adjusting to the speed but there's something to work with.

lemmon
15-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Think he's been very good. Kicks it well and seems to have the pace. That spot up to McLean was class

Testekill
15-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Respectable debut against a team that was in form.

Throughandthrough
15-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Solid debut.

bornadog
15-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Solid debut.
Did his job. Most debutants usually get about 14 15 disposals

boydogs
15-05-2016, 07:28 PM
A bit loose early but worked into it and showed what he can do

ledge
15-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Liked his game today, linked up Well and went and got the ball when it was his turn, seemed to know and execute the game plan well with whippy handballs

Greystache
15-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Was rushed a couple of times but didn't look out of his depth. Solid debut.

always right
15-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Poise, good decision making and neat disposal. Dalrymple has nailed another one.

bornadog
17-05-2016, 01:37 PM
https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBhXaHR0cDovL3MuYWZsLmNvbS5hdS9zdGF0aWNmaWxlL0FG TCUyMFRlbmFudC9NZWRpYS9JbWFnZXMvNDM5NDE2LXRsc2dhbGxlcnlsYW5k c2NhcGUuanBnFNgJFIgFHBSEBhSUAwAAFgASAA&s=ajOnLwyLQpAdSjRr8P1TOxKQZ-2hlGArTkGJ5XY5Nzc

Bailey Williams lived out every footy-loving kids’ dream when he ran out onto the MCG on Sunday afternoon as the Bulldogs’ third debutant of the 2016 season.In front of almost 40,000 fans, the Bulldogs secured their eighth win of the season after defeating Melbourne by 32-points on the back a best afield performance from Marcus Bontempelli and a five-goal haul from Jake Stringer.
“It was amazing,” Williams told westernbulldogs.com.au in the rooms post-match.
“As soon as I ran out on the ground, my god… the atmosphere was pretty intimidating to start with but the boys got around me.
“I’ll never forget that, that was amazing.”
It was a sign of the confidence that Luke Beveridge has in the 18-year-old’s game when he went to Demon goal-sneak Jeff Garlett, on whom he did a more than serviceable job.
Williams also gathered 14 touches in his first senior outing, along with four tackles and five inside 50s.
And Williams’ footy smarts where also on display early when he pulled a kick at the last second to hit up teammate Toby McLean, who went back and goaled in the second quarter.
It was those early-game involvement that helped him settle in as well as some encouraging words from his senior teammates.
“As an individual I need a couple of little touches to get me going, so as soon as I got those I was able to relax a bit more and got into the game.
“[But] Boydy, Woody, most of the back six.. they were tremendous and just helped me through the whole game.”
You couldn’t wipe the smile off of his face in the rooms after the game, and why not, to run out on the MCG and be a part of a win in your first game, it’s what dreams are made of.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Thought he showed quite a bit.

With better more experienced players around him, I am sure Williams would only improve too. Encouraging early signs.

Mantis
17-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Thought he showed quite a bit.

With better more experienced players around him, I am sure Williams would only improve too. Encouraging early signs.

Yeah, I thought he looked ok, got caught early on which is the typical introduction to the big time, but settled in nicely afterwards.. There was a couple of incidents where he didn't go pack with the flight of the ball which did draw some criticism, but having seen him get crunched a number of times in this action I don't think these actions were typical.

Nice to get him some games into him whilst the opportunities present and look forward to wacthing him develop when (if) he drops back.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2016, 06:25 PM
There's a lot to like about this kid on just a few times we've seen him at afl level.

Throughandthrough
11-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Was the Bailey Williams fan club today, many of his junior footy team mates and coach proudly wearing newly purchased Dogs garb. Happy Days!

bornadog
11-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Was the Bailey Williams fan club today, many of his junior footy team mates and coach proudly wearing newly purchased Dogs garb. Happy Days!

I thought he once again showed poise in the backline and hardly beaten. He is going to be a ripper once he gets more games under his belt.

Dancin' Douggy
11-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Just looks like another gem of a pick.

boydogs
11-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Good composure and clean with the ball

An upgrade on say Sam Darley

GVGjr
11-06-2016, 10:22 PM
I was just a bit disappointed that he went to the ground late in the last quarter and it's a bad habit to get in to. He's been a very good find for us this year and has a very bright future.

whythelongface
11-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Good composure and clean with the ball

An upgrade on say Sam Darley

He is already the player that I hoped Sam Darley would be. He has composure and looks to have time in his delivery.

jeemak
11-06-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm looking forward to him getting his confidence up and being a threat forward of centre whilst we're running in waves.

FrediKanoute
11-06-2016, 11:06 PM
I thought he showed pretty good poise in a pressure cooker of a game. He is quality by foot - you want him with ball in hand

ratsmac
12-06-2016, 02:16 PM
I thought he showed pretty good poise in a pressure cooker of a game. He is quality by foot - you want him with ball in hand

Spot on. For a kid playing a man's game he doesn't seem to panic. He looks tough as well. He takes the hits and gets on with it.

Ozza
12-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Yep, we've found another one. Good pace and poise. Lovely long kick too.

F'scary
12-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Looks like a real chance to become a "best 22" player in a good side. He has a bit of size about him too, especially if he fills out just a little bit more.

Throughandthrough
12-06-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm waiting to see what happens when they play him as a forward one day

Remi Moses
12-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Good composure, and that game was an extreme pressure game .
Another gem from The recruiting team .

Ghost Dog
12-06-2016, 03:33 PM
Good to use SA's finest against them!

comrade
12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Loved his little laser kick into Redpath in the first. Weighed up his options and nailed it.

bornadog
12-06-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm waiting to see what happens when they play him as a forward one day

Where did he play in his junior football?

Throughandthrough
12-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Where did he play in his junior football?

everywhere (apart from the ruck!)

bornadog
17-06-2016, 03:58 PM

JohnGentStand
17-06-2016, 04:05 PM
2 years in the gym and he could be top shelf.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Going at 77.9% disposal efficiency in his first 5 games!

Remi Moses
19-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Big positive out of the night
Uses it nicely, and looks a steal at that pick

F'scary
19-06-2016, 11:16 AM
We could have our own Dangerfield with this guy if he keeps improving at this rate and fills out a little.

azabob
01-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I was really impressed with his ability to keep his feet and stay in the contest on Friday night - in particular 1 of the 2 goals he kicked. He started the season as our only shining light, I actually think he has continued to improve and now is clearly best 22.

Where do posters think he’ll end up playing most of his footy?

bulldogtragic
01-07-2018, 08:48 PM
I was really impressed with his ability to keep his feet and stay in the contest on Friday night - in particular 1 of the 2 goals he kicked. He started the season as our only shining light, I actually think he has continued to improve and now is clearly best 22.

Where do posters think he’ll end up playing most of his footy?

Same boat as Richards, really any where. Perhaps wing to high half forward. He was damn impressive up forward.

If we can keep some half backers stay fit, say Suckers, Crozier, JJ, Lipinski maybe, Lynch/Smith/Biggs/Webb - If we can have a fit Bonts, Macrae, Libba, Wallis, Dunkley, McLean as onballers - then we might have the opportunity to play Williams & Richards off the wing/high half forward. Both very smart footballers with some excellent traits.

Remi Moses
01-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Keeps his feet and is very clean. You also add he’s penetrating kick
Big improver in 12 months

Testekill
02-07-2018, 03:52 PM
He's in ripping form; I love that he still holds onto the ball instead of rushing possessions, sure you'll get run down a few times but it means that he's not bombing it as soon as he's under pressure. That's something that you can't teach

Gorgeous side step too

comrade
02-07-2018, 03:55 PM
He's in ripping form; I love that he still holds onto the ball instead of rushing possessions, sure you'll get run down a few times but it means that he's not bombing it as soon as he's under pressure. That's something that you can't teach

Gorgeous side step too

He showed that ability to hold onto the ball until the last moment at VFL level in his first year but the increased pace at the top level caught him out. But now he’s worked it all out, he’s an absolute weapon.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Quick, composed, can kick and is good in the air.

Sign him up for 10 years and play him everywhere.

Twodogs
02-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Quick, composed, can kick and is good in the air.

Sign him up for 10 years and play him everywhere.

Hey, you are a poet and you didn't even know it...

Blow it!

westdog54
02-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Gorgeous side step too

Matt Suckling has a similar attribute. The times they gets caught are generally because no one is trying to make something happen up the field.

GVGjr
10-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Given the logjam for mid sized defenders, Williams will most likely have to play a role in the midfield or forward positions.
I'd be interested to hear if you think he is he a walk up start in our best 22?

I have him in our best 18 but he certainly has plenty of opposition for spots in the starting line-up.

Where do you see him playing his best football in 2019 for us?

boydogs
10-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Given the logjam for mid sized defenders, Williams will most likely have to play a role in the midfield or forward positions.
I'd be interested to hear if you think he is he a walk up start in our best 22?

I have him in our best 18 but he certainly has plenty of opposition for spots in the starting line-up.

Where do you see him playing his best football in 2019 for us?

He used to frustrate me holding onto the ball too long and getting caught but he seems to be growing out of that. Evasive, strong core to hold up in the tackle, well balanced kick - could be gold delivering inside 50

Doc26
10-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Assuming Bailey continues his trajectory he’s in our best 18.
Maybe we could look to develop him as an attacking wingman / midfielder, in the mould of Hawthorn’s Isaac Smith. Rather surprislingly Bailey is listed as the same height as Isaac at 6 ft 2.

westbulldog
10-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Imo Williams is where McLean was a year or so ago, he has the ability to be A grade or better.

hujsh
10-02-2019, 03:54 PM
If he isn't in our best 22 as a forward or mid he simply has to play as a defender because he was excellent there before injury.

bornadog
10-02-2019, 06:31 PM
I have him in our best 22, he is a smart footballer and always looks for the best option, even if he holds on to the ball a little longer than he should. I think he may have stints in the midfield, and most likely hBF/wing

Axe Man
29-07-2022, 11:38 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/SRr9sRgX/bailey.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4HYy2fkZ)

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2022, 11:42 AM
He's got to 100 games under the radar, hasn't he?

Interesting player. Has some pretty good qualities, had a good end to 2018? before falling off the map. Found strong form last year, struggled again this year.

If he can nail down the wing position, that would be handy.

chef
29-07-2022, 12:35 PM
Great stuff, met him once and seemed like a nice guy. Seems be be nailing that wing spot which we needed.

MrMahatma
29-07-2022, 02:18 PM
I rate him and hope we get another 100+ games from him in the RW&B. Seems to have lost a bit of confidence in his kicking but when that returns, he's another threat. It's been a pleasure to watch him try his hand at different roles this season and hope he has a ripping night on Saturday night.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 01:52 AM
Congrats Bailey, hopefully he can find the form he had in the last few years.

whythelongface
30-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Well done Bailey. Important player for us. Has had a bit of chequered ‘22 but hope he is starting to find his best form again

kruder
30-07-2022, 02:59 PM
I loved his game last week, he sacrificed his game for the benefit of the team, its something we need more of from this group.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-07-2022, 07:32 PM
Go the Truck, take no prisoners!

azabob
20-05-2023, 07:39 PM
I’ve seen enough.

BT, operation sign Bailey Williams please.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2023, 07:43 PM
I’ve seen enough.

BT, operation sign Bailey Williams please.

Would he want to sign now? As a RFA, it probably pays to drag it out from his perspective.

azabob
20-05-2023, 07:45 PM
Would he want to sign now? As a RFA, it probably pays to drag it out from his perspective.

No he wouldn’t . But you work for woof, so please do what is best for woof. Sign B.Williams

bulldogtragic
20-05-2023, 07:48 PM
No he wouldn’t . But you work for woof, so please do what is best for woof. Sign B.Williams

What if we went for a Doodee (via trade/matched offer) or Bergman and the SA clubs want him? For argument sake.

I’m for signing him. He’s third round compo most likely, right now a pick in the 50’s. He’s worth more to us to sign him. I’m on board.

azabob
20-05-2023, 07:54 PM
What if we went for a Doodee (via trade/matched offer) or Bergman and the SA clubs want him? For argument sake.

I’m for signing him. He’s third round compo most likely, right now a pick in the 50’s. He’s worth more to us to sign him. I’m on board.

I’m sure the SA clubs would want him. A goal kicking wingman who can mark over head is worth their weight in gold in todays game.

Plus, why not get Doodee via FA and keep Bailey?

bulldogtragic
20-05-2023, 07:57 PM
I’m sure the SA clubs would want him. A goal kicking wingman who can mark over head is worth their weight in gold in todays game.

Plus, why not get Doodee via FA and keep Bailey?

Crows could match the bid made by another club on Doedee and force a trade.

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2023, 08:17 PM
Can we please concentrate on keeping him??

Testekill
21-05-2023, 09:48 AM
Williams has quietly found himself back to his best from 2021 before his disastrously bad grand final. Even a month ago I was happy to use him if required to bring in Doedee but now I'm much happier with him and Baker on the wings.

jazzadogs
01-04-2024, 05:08 PM
So Bailey Williams has just played one of his best games since the 2021 gf, and it was back in his objectively best position of half back.

How do we make best use of his talents going forward?

macca
01-04-2024, 06:41 PM
We play him in the same position for the rest of the season barring injuries to him or other team mates. His one player who needs to play in that position because he does it so well.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Agree. Keep him back.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2024, 08:33 PM
Been saying for 12 months. He's a HB, not a winger.

Has an ability to intercept, defend, and attack - the only other player we have like this is Richards.

Hope we persist.

jeemak
01-04-2024, 08:39 PM
We need to find a way to structure up where all of Williams, JJ, Richards and Dale are behind the footy most of the time when each is individually on the ground, but each might need to play higher at times in their rotations. I think it's achievable, but all of them will need to spend time rolling up to midfield contests and further up the ground to lock the ball into the forward line when required.

There's been a few tapes shown the last couple of days of our defensive structure getting in place early and setting up well. Can't remember the last time that's happened, hopefully we can maintain it.