PDA

View Full Version : Sucker for Punishmemt?

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:37 PM
2009 Pre-lim on Fox Footy just started. I've not watched this game back.

I'm tuning in to get angry, everyone remembers the Lake free but the Hargrave free when he disposed of it 3 seconds earlier legally and then they scored their first goal annoys me more. As Col Elliot says, we was bloody robbed by hey you bloody mug.

Bulldog Joe
19-11-2015, 08:43 PM
While your watching have a look at the shot at goal by Eagleton that was punched back in and called play on (I think 2nd quarter). From the stand I thought it was over the line, but nobody ever questioned it.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I didn't remember stuffing up so many early shots. 4 or 5 misses. Needed Barry Hall about now.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:44 PM
While your watching have a look at the shot at goal by Eagleton that was punched back in and called play on (I think 2nd quarter). From the stand I thought it was over the line, but nobody ever questioned it.

Will do, and wonder if the review system would've overruled the last goal of theirs. I love Daniel Cross even more so far.

chef
19-11-2015, 08:45 PM
I just can't do it.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:47 PM
There was a clear on the full against them, but boundary umpire said Riewoldt touched it... Over the bloody line though...

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Gryphon missed two relatively easy goals in the first. Didn't remember that. The kids Ward and Harbrow look like good sorts.

Bulldog Joe
19-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Gryphon missed two relatively easy goals in the first. Didn't remember that. The kids Ward and Harbrow look like good sorts.
I remember those.

You've got me. Not able to watch it now, but have set to record on the app.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 08:56 PM
We took Ayce Cordy and didn't take the trade for Barry Hall. He'd have 3.0 by now. We just had one weakness in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2015, 08:58 PM

As good as he was in most of his finals with us, this was always a huge weakness of his.

IIRC he went at about 30% DE v Collingwood in the 2010 QF too.

For somebody with such good skills, he sprays a lot.

Twodogs
19-11-2015, 08:59 PM
There was a clear on the full against them, but boundary umpire said Riewoldt touched it... Over the bloody line though...

Yep, I remember that. The cry baby was in the front row seats when he touched it.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2015, 09:03 PM

What did Clayton say when he drafted him...The best kick in the "world" was another of his insightful expressions.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Yep, that Hargrave free kick is akin to a football war crime. He clearly kicks the ball, a second, then holding it. :(

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:15 PM
A new fun fact. That same ar$e wipe of an umpire paid a free kick against Lake half way through the second quarter when they touched arms and Riewoldt slipped or dived. Was every bit as weak, but not in the goal square. You know the umpiring as bad when Cometti & Buckley are saying every 5 minutes 'that wasn't a free' or 'that is just a clear mistake by the umpire.

Starting to feel that conspiracy theorist feeling even more now. Only thing is 23 inside 50's to us half way in the second for 3 goals...

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:19 PM
So Ward got punched in the head... "Play on, play on".

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:24 PM

6.30 left in the second. Yep, about 50-60cm over the goal line. Clear goal. I'm learning more ways we were screwed. Conspiracy theory now fact.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2015, 09:36 PM
6.30 left in the second. Yep, about 50-60cm over the goal line. Clear goal. I'm learning more ways we were screwed. Conspiracy theory now fact.

You are giving me a giggle BT.:)

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Still outrageous after half time. Kosi made more contact remonstrating on Lake.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:37 PM
You are giving me a giggle BT.:)

I do what I can my friend :D

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Ward was tackled over the boundary line, maybe half a second before the line. Razor paid holding the ball even though the ball was dead and no prior???? I thought this might be therapeutic in a weird way... Nope.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:46 PM
I learned something else. This is the worst game Brad Johnson has ever played. Ever despite a cheapy in the pocket just now.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:49 PM
I think Jarrad Grant could've been the difference.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Bob Murphy ran at the man on the mark, straight line, and was called play on? When commentators are saying they don't understand the umpires.... Oh, they got the turnover and kicked a goal to lead at 3/4 time.

I think I have enough indisputable evidence to show match rigging occurred 100%. Best I go to the AFL Integrity Unit.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Cometti: Ben Hudson could almost got a free there (hit in the head twice)...

Update: He didn't get a free.

jeemak
19-11-2015, 10:15 PM
This is the only game I've ever watched live and thought there's no way a fix wasn't in.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Tim Callan was in it too. Turned his back after a mark when Akermanis was free to set up a scoring shot. Turned his back FFS. I knew someone from our inner sanctum was in on it. AFL Integrity Unit here I come (to be ignored and derided).

The Akermanis deliberate free was there, he should've gone in board.

comrade
19-11-2015, 10:20 PM
This is the only game I've ever watched live and thought there's not way a fix wasn't in.

It just felt like we could never win, regardless of what we did.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:23 PM
I was sitting behind Gia that night, and gee he was stiff to miss with 3 minutes to go it was a good kick.

Harbrow was massive that night.

jeemak
19-11-2015, 10:25 PM
The whole team was massive that night.

The AFL let its pants down big time and backed the wrong pony. We'd have won in the wet the following week.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Good news, the goal review system would've overturned their last goal. Lake's wrist nearly snapped off on the replay.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:29 PM
The only to take into consideration is relativity.

In relation to 1997 it's not the worst feeling I've ever felt at the footy. And ahead, we have Tommy Boyd with a gun forward line around him.

comrade
19-11-2015, 10:41 PM
The only to take into consideration is relativity.

In relation to 1997 it's not the worst feeling I've ever felt at the footy. And ahead, we have Tommy Boyd with a gun forward line around him.

And a gun midfield.

I would swap our current back line for the 2009 version - but keep Easton Wood :D

Twodogs
19-11-2015, 10:49 PM
And a gun midfield.

I would swap our current back line for the 2009 version - but keep Easton Wood :D

Harbrow Lake Morris
Wood Murphy Gilbee

No Shaggy..

bulldogtragic
19-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Harbrow Lake Morris
Wood Murphy Gilbee

No Shaggy..

Murphy played quasi CHF that night.

comrade
19-11-2015, 11:06 PM
A combination best 22 of 2009 and 2015/16 would be fun.

Harbrow Lake Wood (2015)
Murphy (2015) Morris (2009) Gilbee
Ward (2009) Libba Bontempelli
Crameri Stringer Dahlhaus
Dickson Johnno Gia
Hudson (2009) Griffen (2009) Boyd (2009)
Macrae Cross (2009) Picken (2015) Wallis

bornadog
19-11-2015, 11:39 PM
The Akermanis deliberate free was there, he should've gone in board.

One of the worse interpretations of a free kick. The rule was never designed for kicks like Akers, but no the umpires have to go and put their own stamp on it. If I remember, from that free, the ball is centred and then sent straight to Rievolting and we lose.

jeemak
20-11-2015, 02:27 AM
I think the overlying trend throughout the game is interpretation.

Every single time something could have been interpreted as an infringement against us, it was. Aker's deliberate, Lake's small touch on Diver Dan after getting a warning against doing so (as far as I'm aware, the first and only time a single player has been told not to be touched at the start of a quarter) at the start of the third, and all the others that have been mentioned were interpreted against us.

I genuinely watch every single game and cringe at the fact that before the bounce at each quarter no free kick is ever paid for contact, whether it be bumping, jumper punching or high contact before the bounce. How that ever happened in a preliminary final I'll never know.....

WBFC4FFC
20-11-2015, 05:45 PM
I think the overlying trend throughout the game is interpretation.

Every single time something could have been interpreted as an infringement against us, it was. Aker's deliberate, Lake's small touch on Diver Dan after getting a warning against doing so (as far as I'm aware, the first and only time a single player has been told not to be touched at the start of a quarter) at the start of the third, and all the others that have been mentioned were interpreted against us.

I genuinely watch every single game and cringe at the fact that before the bounce at each quarter no free kick is ever paid for contact, whether it be bumping, jumper punching or high contact before the bounce. How that ever happened in a preliminary final I'll never know.....

The hypocrisy that night in the umpiring was disgusting!

Any one recall the whole page in The Age devoted to all the contentious decision the following day with the AFL stating the Umps got every one of them correct!?!? It was a fix!

PS: Good-luck trying to rationlise to a Saints moron that they got lucky with the umps that night! If you feel the need to do so however, have a pic handy of Riewoldt taken in the Miami Hotel Room, show them and say that this will be his over-riding legacy of his career!!!!

The bulldog tragician
20-11-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't know how you can bear it!

Walking out of the game my sister and I literally bumped into Choco Williams - seeing our scarves he grabbed us and said it was the worst umpiring he'd ever seen and we'd been completely screwed over.

Poor decisions often even out, or don't affect the result. It wasn't the case with that match, though it also has to be said that the chances we squandered in the 1st quarter could have made it all irrelevant.

SonofScray
20-11-2015, 11:21 PM
I was very upset after that game and kicked a few bins to the ground in a psychotic rage.

Greystache
21-11-2015, 02:24 AM
Centrally planned games like that are why I continually find myself losing interest in the sport. That game was everything the AFL strives to achieve.

Flamethrower
21-11-2015, 11:26 AM
I tried to watch the game from a neutral perspective, and some of it from a St Kilda POV......

St Kilda POV - gee we got some lucky free kicks but who cares now, we are in a Granny - I get to pay $1500 for a ticket from a scalper only to find out it is fake, head to the pub to watch the game and see us lose thanks to &*%$ Scarlett's toe poke.

Neutral view- Saints certainly got the rub of the green, but the 2 best teams are in the Granny. Doggies need a power forward.

Bulldog tragic view - #$%^^$ Razor, %^$$@ McInerney, ^&%$#@ McBurney. It's all their fault we kicked 2.5 in the 1st quarter and make Gia and Gilbee miss easy shots in the last quarter.

To be fair the reason we lost was that we kicked 2.5 in the 1st Q and 1.4 in the last Q - bad kicking is bad football - but blaming the umpires is more palatable that blaming "our heroes".

craigsahibee
24-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Still outrageous after half time. Kosi made more contact remonstrating on Lake.

If the Lake contact on Riewoldt was a free kick, the Koshitske contact on Lake should have resulted in the free being reversed.