PDA

View Full Version : Inintial reports of our first ACL for 2007.

bulldogtragic
26-01-2007, 01:22 PM
SEN and BF contributors rumouring Stevey Tiller has done his knee. However, news just in: its a four week foot injury.

GVGjr
26-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Stephen Tiller did a tendon in his ankle and it will be a four week injury

Dry Rot
26-01-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a relief.

alwaysadog
28-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Hasn't he had ankle problems before? Ankle tendons can be a real pain as they can be got half right but usually only prolonged rest gets them fully right.

Do we need to carry out an exorcism, we seem to be cursed and Tiller has had no luck at all. IMHO he has to start showing why Clayton was so keen on him or he faces big problems.

bulldogtragic
28-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Hasn't he had ankle problems before? Ankle tendons can be a real pain as they can be got half right but usually only prolonged rest gets them fully right.

Do we need to carry out an exorcism, we seem to be cursed and Tiller has had no luck at all. IMHO he has to start showing why Clayton was so keen on him or he faces big problems.
Tiller was taken a year after all. Yes he needs to show something, but surely there's another year from him.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Tiller was taken a year after all. Yes he needs to show something, but surely there's another year from him.

In previous years, yes - Tiller would have got another year regardless.

But now? I don't think so.

Tiller has been on the list for 3 years now, yes? He hasn't made a lot of progress. He's shown a little bit, but not enough IMO to be excited about. He is one dimensional, he's not a KPP - he's a HFF and that's all from what I've seen. He's a good lead/mark but his goal kicking needs improvement.

Been cursed with injuries but these days, you can't afford to hold onto these types. Just have to cut your losses, as the Rookie List means you've got guys knocking on the door constantly.

And, from the talent in Harbrow, Hughes & Pask on the List I'd suggest at least ONE of them would be elevated and if Tiller still can't get on the park and/or find something to hang his hat on, then I think the harsh reality is he may be cut.

Rookie Listing has made the business all the more ' cut throat ' because you can't sit twiddling your thumbs on a player for an extended time anymore.

bulldogtragic
28-01-2007, 02:42 PM
In previous years, yes - Tiller would have got another year regardless.

But now? I don't think so.

Tiller has been on the list for 3 years now, yes? He hasn't made a lot of progress. He's shown a little bit, but not enough IMO to be excited about. He is one dimensional, he's not a KPP - he's a HFF and that's all from what I've seen. He's a good lead/mark but his goal kicking needs improvement.

Been cursed with injuries but these days, you can't afford to hold onto these types. Just have to cut your losses, as the Rookie List means you've got guys knocking on the door constantly.

And, from the talent in Harbrow, Hughes & Pask on the List I'd suggest at least ONE of them would be elevated and if Tiller still can't get on the park and/or find something to hang his hat on, then I think the harsh reality is he may be cut.

Rookie Listing has made the business all the more ' cut throat ' because you can't sit twiddling your thumbs on a player for an extended time anymore.
Some good points. But Claton always held more hope out for Tiller than West. I'd say if Tiller and West dont show anything, than West is let go and Tiller re-rookied. Tiller came with massive wraps, but was taken a year behind development.

That aside as you say, at minimum 3 need to be delisted, perhaps one rookie for a retiree.

Which still means 3 will be delisted. Surely a very tough ask with the list in the state it's in.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 02:51 PM
How long can you rookie a player for? 2 years?

In any event, after one year they may get a better offer like Baird did.

GVGjr
28-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't think there is any limit to how long a player could be placed on a rookie list although there is an age limit.

Good rookies get talked to by other clubs and as DR mentioned about Travis Baird a few clubs were keen to draft him. The Pies certainly had him on their short list once he nominated for the draft.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 04:54 PM
So if we want to be sure of retaining say 2 rookies and drafting say 4 players next draft, then we need to delist/retire 6 players at the end of this season?

Monty and Grant make 2, leaving four others I suppose. If so, this puts the spotlight on Tiller, Walsh, Faulkner and D-Mac.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2007, 04:55 PM
It gets more cut-throat each year doesn't it...feel sorry for the people making the decisions.

The Coon Dog
28-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Rookies can only be on the Rookie list for a year unless they are from another state in which case they get 2 years. I read that a year or two back so it may have changed now as they often change things like this.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 09:35 PM
But even if they're from interstate but they're good, they can be snapped up by another team.

Isn't that we got Baird?

westdog54
29-01-2007, 01:21 AM
But even if they're from interstate but they're good, they can be snapped up by another team.

Isn't that we got Baird?

IIRC Baird didn't want to be kept on a Rookie List and nominated for the National Draft. We snapped him up in the National Draft before Brisbane could take him back. I remember there being some big hoo haa about it all.

GVGjr
29-01-2007, 09:21 AM
IIRC Baird didn't want to be kept on a Rookie List and nominated for the National Draft. We snapped him up in the National Draft before Brisbane could take him back. I remember there being some big hoo haa about it all.

That is correct. Baird was offerred another rookie contract with the Lions however, because he knew the Pies were keen to draft him he nominated for the draft. The Dogs then selected him ahead of the Pies.

Sockeye Salmon
29-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Rookies can only be on the Rookie list for a year unless they are from another state in which case they get 2 years. I read that a year or two back so it may have changed now as they often change things like this.

All rookies can be retained for a second year.

After a maximum of two years they have to be either elevated or released. If they are released, they can of course be re-rookied (if they are still young enough).

Dry Rot
04-02-2007, 12:09 PM
All rookies can be retained for a second year.

After a maximum of two years they have to be either elevated or released. If they are released, they can of course be re-rookied (if they are still young enough).

So a club can retain a player after year one even if he gets a better offer elsewhere?

Go_Dogs
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
The player can ask to be removed from the rookie list if he suspects that he may be picked up in the ND - ie. Baird.

alwaysadog
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
We've got a long way from our starting point but it has been a very interesting discussion and I think DR has summed up a very pertinent point.

While we think the list is improving it's not static and anyone on the fringe will have to demonstate why they still belong, as spots are only going to get harder to maintain.