PDA

View Full Version : Tell you what.

Twodogs
01-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Last season was a good year success wise. We failed in the end, that's a a fact. Heroically, frustratingly, in a way only we can do. But we fell at the last hurdle. That's fact.

But. There were times last year I can't remember ever being as excited as what I was seeing happening, not just developing, actually happening right in front of me.

There were lots of highlights but I've never been as pumped as when Stringer came barging through the middle of the ground against North hunting the ball at the bounce charging around North players and landing the ball in Crameris hands. Then Bont slams through three tackles on the half back line and Stringer sealed the game by just refusing to let North have the ball until he'd kicked his goal. Bulldog supporters were screaming in delight.

I haven't seen our guys just pick us up and deposit us over the line in that fashion ever. I've seen us grind out wins, I've seen us out score the opposition in shootouts, overrun teams in the last quarter, wins from brilliant tactical efforts directed from the coaches box and executed perfectly on the ground.

But I've never seen us say to the other mob "cop this" and make them look second rate with exhilarating, almost arrogant football.

How many sleeps to go?

LostDoggy
01-01-2016, 10:40 PM
When I think of how exciting last year was, that last quarter against North is the first thing that comes to mind for me as well.

What's most exciting, as you have alluded to, is how prominent relatively young players are. Even though we felt close in the late 90s it was led by the well experienced Wynd, Libba, Grant and West, whilst in the late 00s it was Johnno, Gilbee, Eagleton, Gia, Hargrave, Bob and Lake.

Those eras felt like we had a couple of years to cash in, whereas this group feels like it could be right in contention for 10 years. Other groups felt like they could jag a flag, but these guys feel like a dominant era of several flags is possible.

Our recruiting emphasis on outstanding young leaders is really paying dividends.

I can't remember a preseason where footy still consumed me on a daily basis. This group is so admirable, from the leaders down. Just can't wait for the next chapter to get cracking.

bulldogtragic
01-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Usually cricket gets me through to the preseason, but with an average cricket summer I've already got withdrawal symptoms. I can't wait to see Libba back in the engine room, giving Koby & Wallis some more room to do their business. To see Macrae, Dahl, Suckling and Bonts having the freedom to give lethal outside work. And who knows, maybe Clay back too.

Then Stringer, Tom Boyd coming on, Tory, Stew and co. A bunch of kids ready to fight for a spot each week and a young backline of athletic gorillas, athlete 3rd talls, tight defenders and the best intercept and counter attack in the comp.

I'm hanging out big time. The natural development in the list, the incremental improvement in players, confidence in themselves and each other and new gameplans to supplement this years ones, it's going to be exciting each week. We need a ruckman to take the spot and refuse to give it back. If we can keep this core list together and still bring in the odd free agent or trade that improves the list we are going to be around for a while. I think it's 54 sleeps until the first nab match, but the interclub game should be epic. Kids like MaLean, Dale, Dunkley, Biggs, Prudde, Cordy, Daniels etc will be fighting like hell to impress to get into the side and then keep the spot. As well as Minno, Roughy & Campbell all looking to get that spot.

I'm hanging out big time.

westdog54
01-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Last season was a good year success wise. We failed in the end, that's a a fact. Heroically, frustratingly, in a way only we can do. But we fell at the last hurdle. That's fact.

But. There were times last year I can't remember ever being as excited as what I was seeing happening, not just developing, actually happening right in front of me.

There were lots of highlights but I've never been as pumped as when Stringer came barging through the middle of the ground against North hunting the ball at the bounce charging around North players and landing the ball in Crameris hands. Then Bont slams through three tackles on the half back line and Stringer sealed the game by just refusing to let North have the ball until he'd kicked his goal. Bulldog supporters were screaming in delight.

I haven't seen our guys just pick us up and deposit us over the line in that fashion ever. I've seen us grind out wins, I've seen us out score the opposition in shootouts, overrun teams in the last quarter, wins from brilliant tactical efforts directed from the coaches box and executed perfectly on the ground.

But I've never seen us say to the other mob "cop this" and make them look second rate with exhilarating, almost arrogant football.

How many sleeps to go?

I hate to be pedantic, but the Bont's run came before Jake's, not after.

On second thought, I rescind that, I don't hate to be pedantic at all. :p

I spent about a fortnight showing mates at work who hadn't watched the game those two highlight clips. The general response was a long, drawn out "Faaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrk..."

Still pinching myself that these two are both on our list. Freaks of nature.

Twodogs
02-01-2016, 01:43 AM
I hate to be pedantic, but the Bont's run came before Jake's, not after.

On second thought, I rescind that, I don't hate to be pedantic at all. :p

I spent about a fortnight showing mates at work who hadn't watched the game those two highlight clips. The general response was a long, drawn out "Faaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrk..."

Still pinching myself that these two are both on our list. Freaks of nature.

I thought it might. I wasn't going to look it up I was on a roll. Swung momentum back and took the game away from North's reach.

Etihad was the perfect venue to watch those live too. I had a great view of Stringer's.

azabob
02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Watching Bontempelli pirouette out of trouble was the individual highlight of the season for me. I was on the 50m line behind the play and as I watched it unfold it was pure joy.

Go_Dogs
02-01-2016, 11:55 AM
The Port game was the one for me. A top 3 side from 2014, who were sitting just outside the 8 and needing to win, who had also dispensed with us fairly convincingly in Adelaide.

We ended up running riot with all of Stringer, Redpath, Dickson and Crameri kicking multiple goals. The kids including Macrae, Hunter and Bont played significant games and our slightly older players in Wallis and Dahlhaus also played well.

After that game I had confidence we were a chance to play a few finals. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, but it was about as excited and confident I'd felt at a game since we beat Geelong at Etihad late in the 2009 season.

Twodogs
02-01-2016, 01:48 PM
Another highlight for me was Minson playing well against Port. Through being suspended in the VFL and having it overturned by whoever it was that overturns suspensions to being picked and having quite an impact to a good win it was quite a ride.

azabob
02-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Twodogs, wasn't that game against GWS?

stefoid
02-01-2016, 08:12 PM
I think JaJo on a wing is also going to have that 'stuff yoos' mode where once or twice a game he just goes around blokes like they arent there and either hits someone inside 50 on the chest or sends one through from outside 50 himself.

If we can also get Big Boyd chipping in with a couple of towering pack marks a game, we are going to be a treat to watch.

bulldogtragic
02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
I think JaJo on a wing is also going to have that 'stuff yoos' mode where once or twice a game he just goes around blokes like they arent there and either hits someone inside 50 on the chest or sends one through from outside 50 himself.

If we can also get Big Boyd chipping in with a couple of towering pack marks a game, we are going to be a treat to watch.

And I can't see any voluntary retirements either if the old boys (Minno, Bob, Boyd, Adcock & Morris) fitness is managed well and they're around best 22. They've put up with hell for 5 years (Adcock even longer) and I know I'd be doing anything to keep playing in this group.

F'scary
02-01-2016, 09:23 PM
In a way the excitement hit me in the preseason game against Collingwood which I watched at Harts Hotel, Victoria Street, Footscray. There were about twenty other Doggies supporters there and I think everyone felt that we were going to have an "on" season after that game.

Twodogs
02-01-2016, 11:11 PM
In a way the excitement hit me in the preseason game against Collingwood which I watched at Harts Hotel, Victoria Street, Footscray. There were about twenty other Doggies supporters there and I think everyone felt that we were going to have an "on" season after that game.

I was there too. For the second half anyway. I can't remember why but I had to miss the first quarter and a half and then it wasn't feasible to get to the ground.

Twodogs
02-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Twodogs, wasn't that game against GWS?

It was. You're right.

F'scary
02-01-2016, 11:24 PM
I couldn't get free from other commitments until about 5 minutes before the game. So I hit the pub, which is about 4 minutes from home.

Twodogs
03-01-2016, 12:54 AM
I couldn't get free from other commitments until about 5 minutes before the game. So I hit the pub, which is about 4 minutes from home.

It's not far from my present home but I have to move. Hopefully not far.

LostDoggy
03-01-2016, 04:14 PM

Those two highlight packages are the best individual displays I have seen from a Bulldogs player since Adam Cooney collected a ball at knee level, before evading Lumumba, Ben Johnson and Wellingham by doing an accelerated Michael Jackson moonwalk as though he was on ice, including a 360 degree pirouette, which ended up resulting in a shot on goal against Collingwood in 2009 in the final round.

SonofScray
03-01-2016, 06:19 PM
We had enough moments throughout the year that gave me belief that when the chance comes up to make a flag that wags happen, we have players who want the ball and will make it hake it so. I know bad kicking cost us in the final, but there weren't any disastrous "what if" moments that are going to hang around in my mind like other years. I still expect these guys to be winners.

Mantis
04-01-2016, 12:01 PM
We had enough moments throughout the year that gave me belief that when the chance comes up to make a flag that wags happen, we have players who want the ball and will make it hake it so. I know bad kicking cost us in the final, but there weren't any disastrous "what if" moments that are going to hang around in my mind like other years. I still expect these guys to be winners.

They were quite a few by my account.

What if Bont had handballed to a free player rather than rushing a kick when we were a couple of points ahead.

What if Hunter had hit Crameri with a quite simple handball when he was running inside 50 with at least one free player ahead if him.

Twodogs
04-01-2016, 12:38 PM

What if Bont had handballed to a free player rather than rushing a kick when we were a couple of points ahead.

What if Hunter had hit Crameri with a quite simple handball when he was running inside 50 with at least one free player ahead if him.

Was it Jarryd Grant?

1eyedog
04-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Was it Jarryd Grant?

Yeah running into an open goal. It's ok though because he would have missed anyway...

1eyedog
04-01-2016, 01:23 PM

There was an instance when Stringer tried to do too much about 15 metres out directly in front with Mitch Wallis completely in the clear about 8 metres away.

LostDoggy
04-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Good thread! So many amazing moments last season!

Stringer kicking that snap 45 out from nowhere putting us up 8 points in the final quarter against the Crows.. Was the loudest roar from the Bulldog army for the year. Goosebumps!

Twodogs
04-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Good thread! So many amazing moments last season!

Stringer kicking that snap 45 out from nowhere putting us up 8 points in the final quarter against the Crows.. Was the loudest roar from the Bulldog army for the year. Goosebumps!

Were you there for the VFL grand final that Footscray won? I never knew that a bulldog crowd could make that much noise. It was insanely brilliant, my best (and noisiest) footy experience ever.

In fact apart from my kids being born it was my best day ever, full stop, put down the glasses, no late entries will be consdered.

bulldogtragic
04-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah running into an open goal. It's ok though because he would have missed anyway...

To be fair on the run or snap he was very accurate. Just 95% of set shots missed. That was a big what if moment for the year.

Bulldog4life
04-01-2016, 07:53 PM
To be fair on the run or snap he was very accurate. Just 95% of set shots missed. That was a big what if moment for the year.

Loyal to the bitter end BT. I love it.:)