PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs Family Day -2016

bornadog
15-01-2016, 02:48 PM
The Western Bulldogs will once again combine their annual Family Day with an added feature in 2016 – a match simulation between the 2016 playing group.

After successfully combining the two in 2015, the Club will once again provide fans and members the opportunity to catch the playing group in action in one of their first proper hit outs ahead of the 2016 AFL Premiership Season.

Gates will open at Victoria University Whitten Oval at 9:00am on Saturday 13 February, with match simulation to commence at approximately 9:30am.

Families and junior supporters will have access to food and sponsor activations throughout the morning, while player autographs will also be available at the end of proceedings.

Fans will hear from key Western Bulldogs personnel and coaching staff throughout the day.

The key confirmed timings for the event are:

9:00am: Gates Open at Victoria University Whitten Oval.
9:30am: Match Simulation, with player autograph signing, interviews and presentations to follow.
2.00pm: Event Concludes

Event Details
When: Saturday, 13 February 2016, from 9:00am to 2:00pm

Venue: Victoria University Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly Street, West Footscray

Features: Match Simulation, Kids Zone, Sponsor Activations, Player Autograph Signings, Appearance by The Pack.

bornadog
10-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Bump

This Saturday

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Jeez, 9.30am is awfully early for the match simulation. Should be great to watch.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 08:04 PM
#$%& Spewing.
Working all day. :(

ledge
11-02-2016, 05:09 AM
Jeez, 9.30am is awfully early for the match simulation. Should be great to watch.

Probably due to the heat, most years have been extremely hot.

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Probably due to the heat, most years have been extremely hot.

Good point. Makes sense.

Mantis
12-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Has there been any discussion to the length of the game? ie. 4 x fullish qtrs?

I want to try and take the toddler down for a few autographs post game, but dad would like to see some of the game too.. Obviously wary that he will be a handful so arriving at half time would be ideal.

ledge
12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Probably just two quarters if you look at it finishes at 2 and they need to get all the family stuff on the ground and have the speeches player intros games for kids etc
Wouldn't be very long I imagine

AndrewP6
12-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Was going to go, but the prospect of traipsing across town for that early start is putting me off.

ledge
12-02-2016, 09:24 PM
I will be there probably in my normal spot at the top of the stairs near the opposition dugout

always right
12-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Haven't been to one for several years but we are hanging out to see some footy action.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Decided I'll head down for a look. Will see if I can put together some kind of report.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 12:05 AM
I'll go, because this is how early my circumstances dictate I wake up now. I'll chuck some stuff up too.

SonofScray
13-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Will be there with my 3 month old, see how long we last! She has made a few trips to Whitten Oval and seems happy enough. Can't wait to see her reaction to all the nonsense her Dad and mates get up to.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Big crowd in, great day for footy. Appears it will be a full length game.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Daniel, Macrae and Libba in everything. Redpath and Goetz (!!!) have 2 snags, a good effort from Luke after being told to "wake the f*** up" by Minson on the bench after forgetting a rotation.

jazzadogs
13-02-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm getting very excited by what I'm reading on Twitter already.

If I hear one more report about how well Libba is playing, I'm gonna blow up.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 11:31 AM
For those wondering who is sureing up a round one place out of our key defenders (Roberts and Hamling), don't stress, they've *both* been terrible. Consequently, our forwards have been really good! Redpath has 4 goals now, and Stringer is doing Stringer shit and putting on a show; made who might have been Bailey Williams (there's 34s on both teams with the exact same haircut) look so stupid he might have to retire, and almost kicked an awesome goal straight out of a centre clearance (the midfield talk wasn't just bluster).

Of the new guys, Lynch has been the biggest surprise; he looks so good with the ball in hand, just needs to work on getting more. Adams disposal is....questionable but he's going alright, a LOT better than Hamling, who's had about 6 goals put up on him.

Libba and Macrae still best on with probably Redpath, as much as it pains me to admit. If Bont doesn't get busy I'm gonna ask for my $5 donation back.

Twodogs
13-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Drove past the ground about 9.15 and it looked like an AFL game was starting I'm an hour or so there were so many people milling around. I can't go. It's my mums birthday and I didn't check when I said I'd go. It's lunch at 12 so right when the game is on.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Also interesting to note, whilst it's not surprising we're conserving rotations by having our rucks rest forward (particularly Minson and Roughy), what is surprising is how we've stashed midfielders behind the play to give them a break. Macrae has spent time behind the ball in a rotation with (I think) Stevens, ditto Dahl going forward and switching with McLean.

Twodogs
13-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Will be there with my 3 month old, see how long we last! She has made a few trips to Whitten Oval and seems happy enough. Can't wait to see her reaction to all the nonsense her Dad and mates get up to.

First time I took my son to the footy at Port Melbourne we were watching the game when I felt the tug on my shirt that meant he had a question. I looked down and he looked up with wide eyes and said "dad, a man over there said *!*!*!*!. Twice" I laughed for 15 minutes.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2016, 11:48 AM
For those wondering who is sureing up a round one place out of our key defenders (Roberts and Hamling), don't stress, they've *both* been terrible. Consequently, our forwards have been really good! Redpath has 4 goals now, and Stringer is doing Stringer shit and putting on a show; made who might have been Bailey Williams (there's 34s on both teams with the exact same haircut) look so stupid he might have to retire, and almost kicked an awesome goal straight out of a centre clearance (the midfield talk wasn't just bluster).

Of the new guys, Lynch has been the biggest surprise; he looks so good with the ball in hand, just needs to work on getting more. Adams disposal is....questionable but he's going alright, a LOT better than Hamling, who's had about 6 goals put up on him.

Libba and Macrae still best on with probably Redpath, as much as it pains me to admit. If Bont doesn't get busy I'm gonna ask for my $5 donation back.

Why???????

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Why???????

Because I've said he's bad so many times that if he's good no one will ever listen to me again.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 11:54 AM
We're going to be awesome to watch again this year if this game is anything to go by.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Apparently redpath's hurt his quad. A real shame if true, he looked fantastic.

I should add that Suckling is the most outside player in the history of Australia. Like, we already probably knew that, but damn. Not that it's a wholly bad thing.

Dunkley starting to do some stuff, kicked a nice goal after bodying Brad Lynch, who, in turn, got up limping, only to MIRACULOUSLY recover when it came time to get the ball again. To his credit, he ran it up the ground about 80m before spotting up a target; very exciting.

If we get found out this year it won't be for a lack of change in game style. Our level of commitment to playing on at all costs has increased to a near suicidal level. It's incredible to watch but look for some aneurism-inducing moments this year. Once the disposal gets a little less choppy (Dahl put one 10m back into the forward pocket for no apparent reason, for example) this hopefully will be lessened.

Not sure what has been the dominant figure today, Stringer, or JJs hair. Hrovat's been good as a full time forward too.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Because I've said he's bad so many times that if he's good no one will ever listen to me again.

That made me laugh.;)

bornadog
13-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the updates HD, I couldn't make it out there.

ledge
13-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Well I had a great day, ended up sitting next to Tony Liberatore all game in the stand talking tactics, wished him a happy 50th he asked how did you know ?
He said Toms all good and Ollie is doing fine, we enjoyed Redpath but both agreed we play on at all costs and our backlines were horrible all day and might be our main concern this year, but in saying that it was bruise free footy which makes it hard for defenders to hit the forwards hard.
JJ might be good at running off but wow he can make horrible errors.
Goetz could be a very very good pick up and Bont looked like he was just taking it easy.
My wrap up question is.. Was it just a show for the crowd and a bit of a light run ? I tend to think so , definitely no hard hits and a lot of outside run . So happy footy is back I needed the hit.

Testekill
13-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Apparently redpath's hurt his quad. A real shame if true, he looked fantastic.

Sounds like just a knock to the quad and they took him off at the final break as a precaution.

ledge
13-02-2016, 01:56 PM
I will add great crowd and beautiful weather for it.
Plenty of member sign ups I imagine, let's get started !!

Webby
13-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Well done to the club for putting on a great event today. I take my kids to the WO for most VFL games and, occasionally, it's a struggle. Particularly after the Williamstown game last year!!

It's great to get my kids' little brains associating a trip to the Bulldogs with such raucous fun. This year they had an animal enclosure (no, not like Moorabbin's!) with goats, chickens, geese, calfs, ducklings etc, jumping castles, fare events etc. It was like taking them to a carnival.

I didn't get to see too much of the game as a result, but I do acknowledge that it's a fantastic endeavour by the club. I, for one, will have to tug a little less hard to get them down to the ground in the coming weeks, whilst I reckon a couple of local kids who aren't Dogs fans may well have been converted.

A good day!

GVGjr
13-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Some good footy today, some of it free flowing and most of it good contests.

Most of the newer guys performed well.

Dunkley was composed and kicked a couple of goals. He played midfield rotating into the forward line
Adams was poor in reading the play and his skills were down. A couple of nice intercept marks but nothing to get inspired about. He cost this team a goal through a poor skill execution.
Williams was a mixture of good and poor play, He grubbed one kick into the forward line but generally he performed OK.
Collins didn't play
Adcock was quiet but did a bit.
Goetz kicked two goals but Minson let him know in non uncertain terms that he wasn't switched on when he couldn't see Minnow making his way to the bench. He moves well.
Lynch was very good across half back. Used the ball very well and when he gets fitter I think he will be a great addition. Can kick the ball with both feet
Sucking was average maybe a bit better than that but he really overrates his kicking ability. For as many as he gets right he gets wrong.

I'll add a few more names shortly.

Remi Moses
13-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Had a gander at the last 3 Terms .
Spent most of the time looking at the team lists and wondering who was who.
Looked like blokes getting the cob webs out for me, some just cruised .
Suckling's bullet passing a highlight, Daniel looked like he's picked up from last year.
Redpath was terrific, bit disappointed Boyd didn't get to play on Collins .
Adams looks a great Mark, but his execution was off .
Bigger crowd than last year, and having a scratch match before the family day is a great concept

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Was thinking of going but didn't end up going. From the sound of it it was a great morning. Certainly should try next year to get along. Very glad to hear Libba did well and got out with no issues on the WO. Was at WO last year when he did his knee and it was a bad sight.

SlimPickens
13-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Fantastic morning. My daughter loved it, although didn't get to watch as much footy as I would have liked. Looked like Libba hadn't missed a beat...I like that.

SonofScray
13-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Good hit out. Hamilton, Redpath and Dunkley jumped out to me as players switched on and putting their hand up.

Adams was great getting the footy and ordinary getting rid of it.

Not sure I liked the Family Day aspect as much as last time I went. Seemed a bit too spread out and it didn't lend itself to some of more exciting 'pep rally' type moments. Maybe the general difficulty in pushing a pram around the ground set me off on a negative trail though.

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Anyone get any video :)

It would probably to big to upload on here.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Pretty good first hit out. I thought it was noticeable that we are clearly paying more attention to ball retention; that is, a lot of switching and overlap handballs to create space to run into. It worked well in the first quarter, but our skill level dropped a little (as you would expect) after that and consequently some errors/break down of gameplans occurred. Much more of an emphasis to get the ball into running backs (JJ, Biggs, Suckling, Murphy, Boyd, Lynch).

Libba was fantastic and was a real highlight. Such a clearance machine. He got some heavy tackles and bounced back straight away, it was good to see. Caleb was almost my BOG - he got a lot of the ball in all areas of the ground and refuses to waste the ball. Some of his kicks were terrific under pressure and his vision sublime. Macrae, Dahlhaus, Murphy and Hunter were all very good and didn't miss a beat whatsoever. Campbell won the ruck duels reasonably easy, but still needs to improve the efficiency of his taps and hold his marks. Dale looks noticeably bigger and has more confidence. Made a few basic errors but otherwise was good. I thought Hamilton impressed late, he got a fair bit of the ball and generally used it well. Hrovat was solid and made good decisions ball in hand/disposed of it well - an area he needs to improve on. Good start.

Of the newer recruits, I thought Lynch was most impressive. He looks raw and needs to add size, but he has genuine pace and great skills which he displayed on a few occasions. Adams took 2 or 3 nice marks but otherwise struggled with positioning at times and had poor disposal. Dunkley showed some good signs and got better as the game wore on - looks a pretty likely type. Smart, uses his body well. Suckling was OK but I disagree with GVG, he only missed one target that I saw and he hit a couple of beauties. Adcock was OK although I expected more. Williams was OK but will need time to lift his fitness, did some positive things.

Overall, pretty encouraging display. The only worry is our key defensive stocks; Redpath dominated Hamling before getting injured, he might've had 8 by the day's end otherwise and Roberts isn't strong enough either. I still think we should probably be using Roughy as our FB.

GVGjr
13-02-2016, 04:14 PM
A few other notes

Blue team
Murphy and Wood were prominent.
Macrae got a lot of the footy and was very good but has rekindled those dinky kicks where he kicks across his body.
Roberts was okay without being much better and he made some kicking errors.
Webb was quite good throughout the game
Dunkley had a very good game kicking some goals
Liberatore looked to be struggling with fitness early on but finished the game very strongly. This was a real positive for us.
Honeychurch started well before fading. He has a bad habit of handballing behind his team mates which then loses monentum
Biggs was composed and put in a 4 quarter effort.
Hamilton was hesitant early on but got better in the 2nd half.
I liked Minson's effort in the ruck but it's a shame he doesn't take a few marks when needed
Dale has filled out a bit and was a good contributor
Daniel started well but I think he faded just a bit in the 2nd half. Good game
Morris was as reliable as normal. Put in two hard tackles on Stringer.
Goetz kicked two goals and moves well.
Redpath was very good until his injury with 4 goals
Adcock was okay but didn't get a lot of the ball
Jong looked pretty good today and should be in the mix for senior selection

I'll do some comments on the white team a bit later

ledge
13-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Caleb Daniel is a gun, the kid has got superstar written all Over him, his tank Is unbelievable being so young , can't believe how much ground he covers, reads the play, knows where teammates are, a true footballer brain you can't teach that.

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Caleb Daniel is a gun, the kid has got superstar written all Over him, his tank Is unbelievable being so young , can't believe how much ground he covers, reads the play, knows where teammates are, a true footballer brain you can't teach that.

Great stuff. Yes he was great last year and while he make be one of the smallest players in the league I reckon that is an advantage giving him more speed.

lemmon
13-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the reports guys. Did Webb play more back or midfield? We're pretty right for half backs but he was impressive last year

bornadog
13-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the updates from ALL

bornadog
13-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Has Macrae added some body strength? This is one area I feel he has been lacking.

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Like Lemmon and BAD thanks for the reports. Much appreciated.

Happy Days
13-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reports guys. Did Webb play more back or midfield? We're pretty right for half backs but he was impressive last year

Mainly back but with a little bit in the middle. There was a real focus on spreading the players thinner, most guys played multiple spots. Wallis, for example, played mainly in the middle but spent some time down back and even took a couple of kickouts.

always right
13-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Caleb Daniels was the standout to me. Just so clean and doesn't waste a possession.....fantastic vision. I think he's a lock for round one. Also impressed by Bailey William's field kicking. Looks to go through the corridor and is a lovely penetrating kick.

I thought the most interesting tussle was in the ruck. Campbell dominated Will at the centre bounces but Will fought back pretty gamely. Unfortunately he just throws the ball on the boot with his possessions. Not a clear cut result but Campbell was more impressive even though he didn't provide much around the ground. Roughy also had a run in the ruck but didn't standout. Jury is out.

ledge
13-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I think after today Roughead is our best by far as a fullback.

chef
13-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys.

GVGjr
13-02-2016, 05:51 PM

Both but maybe a bit more in the back line. He was quite good in the midfield

bulldogtragic
13-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Where was Roughy today and how'd he look?

Tom Boyd anywhere?

SlimPickens
13-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Tom Boyd anywhere?

Standing in the ELC...he didn't play

GVGjr
13-02-2016, 06:13 PM
White team

Wallis was excellent, competitive as you would expect.
Bontempelli is a massive guy now and was solid throughout the 4 quarters. When he switches on he just stands out.
Matthew Boyd spent more time in the midfield than I thought he would. A couple of turnovers but looked to be fit and ready
I thought Dahlhaus was probably the best player for the White team. He got plenty of the ball and used it well plus tackled well.
Hunter was a good contributor and played mainly on a wing. Busy player but was a hesitant at times and needs to go with the first option more
Stringer was excellent. He sees better options than just taking the easy option. 3 Goals and it could have been more.
Cordy was a bit quiet for mine. Didn't look bad but I expected a bit more.
It was good to see Hrovat playing well. Like Stringer he kicked 3 goals and he was busy around the forward line.
Campbell was the best ruckman and looks to be primed for a big season.
Roughead was decent in the ruck and played a lot forward. Right at this stage I think he should be playing as a defender.
It was good to see Stevens back and I thought he was okay. He was matched with Jong a couple of times and they went at each other in a spirited way
McLean was just a bit disappointing because I was hearing what a great pre-season he was having. Not bad but I expected a bit better.
Dickson was all around the ground today even spending some time in the back half but still kicked a couple of goals
Hamling was beaten by Redpath and didn't really improve much when Redders went off.
Adams was a disappointment. A couple of nice marks but his skill level departed him and he made a couple of poor decisions. I'm sure he cost a goal through an error
Williams had a good introduction. He generally used the ball well but he grubbed a ball along the ground when under no real pressure.
Lynch was eye catching. Tallish and lean but his pace is quite good and his kicking off either foot didn't miss. Impressed as a defender but made a couple of errors and one cost a goal
Johannisen provided plenty of run and while he made some errors I think he is ready for an improved season.
Picken had a solid game.

These are just some quick notes. There were a few tactics I might try and explain.

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Much appreciated GVGjr. Great summary.

LostDoggy
13-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Just noticed it on the website:
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-02-13/dogs-intra-club-match-highlights

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Intra club match report

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-13/intra-club-match-report

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 06:48 PM
From the club website

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-13/intra-club-match-report

Tom Liberatore made a successful return to competitive football, influential in the Western Bulldogs’ Intra Club match on Saturday at Victoria University Whitten Oval.

The 2014 Sutton Medallist played all four quarters of the Club’s friendly hit-out, starting in the centre square for the Blue Team, before also spending stints forward.

The 23-year-old had no problems finding the football, and was an imposing force around the stoppages.

Power-forward Jack Redpath booted four first half goals for the Blue Team to lead the goalkickers list, with seven multiple goal-kickers on the field.

All-Australian Jake Stringer kicked three goals for the White Team, along with Nathan Hrovat.

Top draft pick Josh Dunkley made an impression for the Blue Team, kicking two goals of his own, while also getting the opportunity to move into the centre-square in stints.

After a nervous start by both sides, Redpath slotted the first major of the game, a set shot from the Barkly Street end pocket, to give the Blue Team the early advantage.

The big-man then goaled again just minutes later, edging his opponent under the ball at the top of the square to mark and then convert the set shot.

Both teams brought their defensive intensity early, with the ball bouncing between the arcs as both sides picked-off intercept marks across their respective half-back lines denying clean forward 50m entries.

Matt Suckling had his first chance to test his combination across half-back with skipper Bob Murphy, Shane Biggs and Easton Wood; while rookie Brad Lynch and draftee Bailey Williams showed some promising glimpses for the White Team coming out of defence.

Rookie ruckman Luke Goetz started forward, marking twice on the lead and converting set-shots from directly in front to kick two first quarter goals.

The White Team ensured the quarter time margin was just seven-points, with goals to Jake Stringer, Jordan Roughead and Nathan Hrovat.

A four goal to three second term by the Blue Team, ensured they had a two goal lead at the main break.

The play of the term belonged to the White Team though, as Jason Johannisen made an electric run off half-back, to send a low spearing ball inside forward 50m to Jake Stringer. The mark came off hands, but Stringer recovered to deliver the handball to Hrovat at speed who ran in to the open goal.

After the main break, the White Team were the first to hit the scoreboard through a Jake Stringer dribble-kick goal, before the Blue Team replied with goals to Bailey Dale and Dunkley, both originating from slingshot moves off half-back by skipper Bob Murphy.

The White Team then pressed, kicking the last three goals of the term through Hrovat, McLean and Wallis.

Wallis’ goal from a set shot put the men in white ahead by one-point at the final change, hitting the lead for the first time since the half-way stage of the first term.

The lead was short-lived for the White Team, with back-to-back goals from the Blue Team through Bailey Dale and Shane Biggs giving them an11-point advantage.

Tory Dickson goaled late for the White Team, but the siren came to soon, handing a seven point win to the Blue Team.

WB BLUE: 4.1 (25) 8.4 (52) 10.4 (64) 12.7 (79)

WB WHITE: 3.0 (18) 6.2 (38) 10.5 (65) 11.6 (72)

GOALS
BLUE: Redpath 4, Dunkley 2, Dale 2, Goetz 2, Honeychurch, Biggs
WHITE: Stringer 3, Hrovat 3, Dickson 2, Roughead, Wallis, Mclean

BEST
BLUE: Liberatore, Macrae, Dunkley, Redpath
WHITE: Stringer, Hrovat, Dahlhaus, Wallis

GVGjr
13-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Like any early game of the preseason today presented a few challenges with selections going forward.

Caleb Daniel now must be pressing for senior selection when a few weeks ago I have outside of the best 22. Liberatore might complicate things for him a bit but Daniels abilities to influence play can't be ignored.

Josh Dunkley might have also pushed himself into the mix as a genuine option to rotate between forward and midfield roles with Bontempelli. I still think we would struggle to find a spot for him early on but he could be close.

Despite being loaded up with good running defenders, Shane Biggs name should also be discussed. He was good enough today to be right in the mix.

I think Nathan Hrovat would need to back up today's form with some more good efforts but he dropped off the radar last season and that might have spurred him to get his fitness level better. While he would probably prefer to be regarded as a genuine midfielder my guess is he would be seen as a forward who spends some time in the midfield.

Bailey Dale won't need to improve much to have his name in the mix either.

Lukas Webb is another who suffers from our logjam of mid sized defenders but I liked his game today and thought he looked good when he spent time in the middle.

While it's early in the season our taller defenders performances today weren't that encouraging so Joel Hamling, Fletcher Roberts and Marcus Adams have some work to do to push their names forward.

So much of future selections depends if the coach is determined to use Jordan Roughead as a forward/ruckman option.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I notice on the Club's website it states it was a "friendly" game. No doubt when playing a proper opposition there will be a lot more fierce tackling and aggression which will suit all players especially the backline players.

Eastdog
13-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Watched channel 7 sport news tonight. Great coverage of our family day. Certainly looked like a fun day and worth trying to go to next year.

LostDoggy
13-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the updates of todays intra club match.
Libbas form today sounds like he hasn't missed a beat.
Just about frothing at the mouth waiting for the season to begin!!!!! :p

#bringiton

BornInDroopSt'54
13-02-2016, 10:46 PM
We have young players maturing now and some are on the cusp of great things.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-02-2016, 11:02 PM
I notice on the Club's website it states it was a "friendly" game. No doubt when playing a proper opposition there will be a lot more fierce tackling and aggression which will suit all players especially the backline players.

Yes different players will be suited to the more physical contest and the game tempo will be altered which again will suit certain players.

Dry Rot
13-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Caleb Daniel now must be pressing for senior selection when a few weeks ago I have outside of the best 22. Liberatore might complicate things for him a bit but Daniels abilities to influence play can't be ignored.

Daniel sounds like a weapon with the ball, but what about without? What's his defensive game like?

kruder
13-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Like any early game of the preseason today presented a few challenges with selections going forward.

Josh Dunkley might have also pushed himself into the mix as a genuine option to rotate between forward and midfield roles with Bontempelli. I still think we would struggle to find a spot for him early on but he could be close.

Despite being loaded up with good running defenders, Shane Biggs name should also be discussed. He was good enough today to be right in the mix.

I think Nathan Hrovat would need to back up today's form with some more good efforts but he dropped off the radar last season and that might have spurred him to get his fitness level better. While he would probably prefer to be regarded as a genuine midfielder my guess is he would be seen as a forward who spends some time in the midfield.

Bailey Dale won't need to improve much to have his name in the mix either.

Lukas Webb is another who suffers from our logjam of mid sized defenders but I liked his game today and thought he looked good when he spent time in the middle.

While it's early in the season our taller defenders performances today weren't that encouraging so Joel Hamling, Fletcher Roberts and Marcus Adams have some work to do to push their names forward.

So much of future selections depends if the coach is determined to use Jordan Roughead as a forward/ruckman option.

Roughead is one of the most interesting players on our list. I think he only commands a spot as a defender in our best 22, he is awful going forward and I'm not sure he has the endurance to play ruck either. Its s big year for him IMO, time for him to bed down a spot.

bulldogtragic
14-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Roughead is one of the most interesting players on our list. I think he only commands a spot as a defender in our best 22, he is awful going forward and I'm not sure he has the endurance to play ruck either. Its s big year for him IMO, time for him to bed down a spot.

If Roughead can't nail down a spot in the best 22 by season end, then he's going to figure in my trade scenarios on this forum in about 7.5 months.

ledge
14-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Your kidding right ? Roughead would be the only tall who can play everywhere and is the only player capable of playing fullback, he would be a decent forward but doesn't get much time up their due to us being light on in the backline since Lake left.
Roughead would be one of the last players I would trade.
He is even a chance to be captain that's how much he is respected at the club.

bulldogtragic
14-02-2016, 01:27 AM
Your kidding right ? Roughead would be the only tall who can play everywhere and is the only player capable of playing fullback, he would be a decent forward but doesn't get much time up their due to us being light on in the backline since Lake left.
Roughead would be one of the last players I would trade.
He is even a chance to be captain that's how much he is respected at the club.

At the moment he's to my mind a jack of all trades and master of none. He's trained all off season as a ruckman because he's considered to be a better ruck than defender. If he can't make the ruck, forward thing work then he's the quintessential jack of all trades, and master of none. He has injury issues and was dropped from the leadership group for this season. It's nothing personal, I think he's a quality bloke and has skill, but if he hasn't secured a best 22 spot in a single role by year's end and a trade offer of food proportion came in... I'd be having a good think about it.

ledge
14-02-2016, 07:07 AM
I don't believe players are dropped from the leadership Group I think they just give players a turn so you have many leaders on the field and they learn about leadership.

GVGjr
14-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Despite the strong turnout on the day it doesn't appear that many WOOFers went along based on the replies so far.

The Underdog
14-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Despite the strong turnout on the day it doesn't appear that many WOOFers went along based on the replies so far.

I couldn't make it as the travel takes forever and I was stuck looking after the kids. Taking them to a Family Day would have been a nightmare. I also don't understand why they always have to have it in Footscray, it's just inconvenient.
Noticed Roughead had his ankle iced in one of the photo's after the game, probably a positive that it was only the one joint but I guess it's early doors.

ledge
14-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Did anyone do the $50 inner sanctum thing .. I was tempted but being on my own I think I would rather do It with someone else to share the experience.
My kids aren't into footy sadly.
If so was it worth it and did you get any information?

Go_Dogs
14-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Not really much to add that hasn't been mentioned yet, but personal highlights included seeing Liberatore back in action, Bontempelli moving a lot better than he seemed to a few weeks ago and the Goat demonstrating he might have the hands and nous to have an impact up forward in time.

Positive signs from Dunkley, Williams and Lynch too, who all showed enough to suggest they can have good futures at AFL level.

It was a shame that Boyd and Collins didn't get to play.

Overall, a very enjoyable and well organised day - the only hard thing was trying to find a car park.

Smads57
14-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Did anyone do the $50 inner sanctum thing .. I was tempted but being on my own I think I would rather do It with someone else to share the experience.
My kids aren't into footy sadly.
If so was it worth it and did you get any information?

I did ledge. Got there at 8.30 and taken around to the front of the ELC but not inside. Couldn't really see much, but Bevo did come out and speak briefly to the group. After 30 mins, we were taken up to the 3rd level of the administration 'infill'. View was great (but sun was hot initially) and having a pair of binoculars, I was personally able to have a good morning watching the play.

They served up some bottled drinks, egg and bacon rolls and some fruit platters around 9.45 which went down well with the punters.

The CEO and COO both came around and introduced themselves to everyone including the children. Hannah from the football club looked after us.

At three quarter time, the group was taken back down to the front of the ELC so they could be first in line for autographs from players after the game (before they went into the Autograph tents). I actually elected to stay where I was until the end of the game, so not sure how successful the autograph session was for the others.

An opportunity that I did take advantage of was listening to the stats guys also working on the same level of the infill. It was interesting to hear how they compile the stats and at times I found myself listening to what they were describing which complemented what I was viewing thru the binoculars (like listening to a radio broadcast). I asked at half time who was the leading stat getter, but they preferred not to answer my question as I suspect they had better things to do.

With respect to the game, I thought last year's midfield players (plus Libba) were the most solid contributors on the day and that the ruck duels were interesting - i don't think this first hit out has made it any clearer who will head up the ruck duties for 2016. I noted the comment by Rohan Smith after the game (on the Bulldogs website), where he mentioned we may not necessarily have the one ruckman playing the role full time - suggests whoever does get a gig will need to be multi-positional (as suggested in other threads).

I noted after Lynch was beaten one on one by Dunkley (which led to a goal) that MBoyd spent time coaching Lynch around options he might have had and was 'geeing' him on - the result (I think) was a fairly good hit out by Lynch after half time.

jeemak
14-02-2016, 01:16 PM

I was playing golf, and whilst the scratch match component might have been appealing to some it doesn't pique my interest at such early doors. Showing up to a family day by myself has never seemed right to me and I can find other ways to lend my support to the club.

Rocco Jones
14-02-2016, 01:21 PM
I went along, just a few things.

- Key-defenders didn't look good
- Liked Redpath a lot before he went off
- Stringer is just ridiculous. Hardly broke out of 2nd gear and made everyone around him look silly
- Caleb Daniel so, SO clever
- Really liked the look of Williams and Lynch. That being said, an intra club at that pace/style = perfect for a HBF to look good
- Suckling is just about the most 1D player in the game but boy that kick is a weapon. Hit a bomb to Adcock to create a ton of space.

jeemak
14-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Suckling is a genuine cream player. Him being recruited tells me the coaching and recruiting staff believe we're ready for cream to be added to the top of the cake.

Happy Days
14-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Suckling is a genuine cream player. Him being recruited tells me the coaching and recruiting staff believe we're ready for cream to be added to the top of the cake.

After the scratch match (I know) I''m harbouring a great concern that we won't be able to carry him defensively, given the amount of possession the opposition will be given based on how frenetic our ball movement looks like it will be this year, and the amount of transitional space that will open up for them based upon this.

His offensive strengths (namely the ability to get the ball to work in such a manner that can only be described as 'reverse swing') will be an obvious additive to our attacking mix, but I'm going to need to see him as a piece in a game of greater intensity to feel at ease.

Just on the (lack of) intensity factor, I think that's why Adams game was so underwhelming. I had concerns that his sidewinder-style kicking action may not hold up under AFL-pace, and yesterday did nothing to dissuade them.

I know there's probably too much being read into here, but just some food for thought. I swear I feel bullish about most of what I saw yesterday.

kruder
14-02-2016, 05:36 PM
I did ledge. Got there at 8.30 and taken around to the front of the ELC but not inside. Couldn't really see much, but Bevo did come out and speak briefly to the group. After 30 mins, we were taken up to the 3rd level of the administration 'infill'. View was great (but sun was hot initially) and having a pair of binoculars, I was personally able to have a good morning watching the play.

They served up some bottled drinks, egg and bacon rolls and some fruit platters around 9.45 which went down well with the punters.

The CEO and COO both came around and introduced themselves to everyone including the children. Hannah from the football club looked after us.

At three quarter time, the group was taken back down to the front of the ELC so they could be first in line for autographs from players after the game (before they went into the Autograph tents). I actually elected to stay where I was until the end of the game, so not sure how successful the autograph session was for the others.

An opportunity that I did take advantage of was listening to the stats guys also working on the same level of the infill. It was interesting to hear how they compile the stats and at times I found myself listening to what they were describing which complemented what I was viewing thru the binoculars (like listening to a radio broadcast). I asked at half time who was the leading stat getter, but they preferred not to answer my question as I suspect they had better things to do.

With respect to the game, I thought last year's midfield players (plus Libba) were the most solid contributors on the day and that the ruck duels were interesting - i don't think this first hit out has made it any clearer who will head up the ruck duties for 2016. I noted the comment by Rohan Smith after the game (on the Bulldogs website), where he mentioned we may not necessarily have the one ruckman playing the role full time - suggests whoever does get a gig will need to be multi-positional (as suggested in other threads).

I noted after Lynch was beaten one on one by Dunkley (which led to a goal) that MBoyd spent time coaching Lynch around options he might have had and was 'geeing' him on - the result (I think) was a fairly good hit out by Lynch after half time.

I think the stat guy might be getting a little ahead of himself! Why wouldn't you answer the question?

always right
14-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Will wait to see a genuine hit out against opposition before making any negative statements about individual players.

Ghost Dog
14-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm in China. So that's my excuse.
I loved the video on the club website. It's not hard to spot JJ now is it? Big puff of blonde hair moving like a furry comet.
How was the turn out in general? Hope the club did well out it. And so, so happy for Libba to be featured in the BOG.

Thanks for the updates, those who went. Redpath is going from unfashionable workhorse, to Tory Dickson-like effectiveness. I really hope he can keep this up. Like Dickson his stocks were pretty low on here for quite a while. Of course, Ghost Dog always believed he would be Barry Hall Mk II.

LostDoggy
14-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Had to work all day.
Busier then a one armed brick layer from Beirut ATM!! ;)

Mofra
15-02-2016, 11:38 AM
If Roughead can't nail down a spot in the best 22 by season end, then he's going to figure in my trade scenarios on this forum in about 7.5 months.
The Andrejs Everitt conundrum. Talented player who doesn't own a spot

jeemak
15-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Interestingly it might be his versatility that means he continues to be a required player.

Not many rucks are competent KPF's, so if he can continue to improve his ruck work and chips away at his forward craft he's probably safe on a Beveridge lead list.

Greystache
15-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Not much to add that hasn't already been said.

Libba looked sharp and intense, including running into the fence on the outer wing. He seemed to be the only one who didn't realise no one gave a shit about the game!

Daniel was BOG for me, his composure in trafic combined with his balance make him a ball magnet and an excellent user of the ball. He's a bit like Libba in that his disposals are effective without necessarily look like they're cutting the opposition to pieces.

Dale was excellent. Found space on the wings and used the ball well, he also found some footy in congestion.

Dunkley was impressive, has a big body, won some good contests, and used the ball pretty well. He looks similar to Clay Smith when he first came through, with maybe a little better disposal.

Redpath looked dangerous every time the ball went forward, likewise Hamling looked like being beaten every time the ball went in.

Roughead didn't stand out in the ruck and was invisible yet again as a forward. He's a long way behind Minson as a forward and Minson is a terrible forward. He is needed in defence and I hope we play him there.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Adams. He's a stocky unit but I'm convinced we were short sold on his height. He looks like a midfielder and nowhere near the 192/193cm he's listed at. He stood side by side with Dunkley and I think Dunkley had him covered. Can't see him playing on opposition talls.

Bonti looked short of a gallop but didn't some Bonti things and some not so Bonti things.

MaCrae looked sharp and is a consistent performer.

Liked the look of Bailey Williams too.

Ozza
15-02-2016, 04:37 PM

Libba looked sharp and intense, including running into the fence on the outer wing. He seemed to be the only one who didn't realise no one gave a shit about the game!

Daniel was BOG for me, his composure in trafic combined with his balance make him a ball magnet and an excellent user of the ball. He's a bit like Libba in that his disposals are effective without necessarily look like they're cutting the opposition to pieces.

Dale was excellent. Found space on the wings and used the ball well, he also found some footy in congestion.

Dunkley was impressive, has a big body, won some good contests, and used the ball pretty well. He looks similar to Clay Smith when he first came through, with maybe a little better disposal.

Redpath looked dangerous every time the ball went forward, likewise Hamling looked like being beaten every time the ball went in.

Roughead didn't stand out in the ruck and was invisible yet again as a forward. He's a long way behind Minson as a forward and Minson is a terrible forward. He is needed in defence and I hope we play him there.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Adams. He's a stocky unit but I'm convinced we were short sold on his height. He looks like a midfielder and nowhere near the 192/193cm he's listed at. He stood side by side with Dunkley and I think Dunkley had him covered. Can't see him playing on opposition talls.

Bonti looked short of a gallop but didn't some Bonti things and some not so Bonti things.

Thanks for the rundown 'stache. Interesting observations about Adams and I will be very interested to see how he goes. I'm always a bit uncertain when it comes to recruiting mature aged WAFL players, particularly tall/er players.

Twodogs
15-02-2016, 04:37 PM
What's Dunkleys kicking technique like GS? Will it stand up under AFL pressure?

Greystache
15-02-2016, 05:02 PM

It didn't look too bad to me, but I didn't exactly get a chance to study it. It looked like he need a fraction to steady himself and get his mechanics right. The question will be whether he can replicate that under the pressure of AFL footy. Clay Smith found it a battle at times on the run under pressure to get everything right, and then someone like Howard completely fell to pieces without time and space.

Bulldog Revolution
15-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks to all for their insights GVG, TBB, GStache and others

Its early days and the positive for me is that we have seem to have a mostly injury free list who've had good continuity over the summer

Looking forward to seeing how we continue building from here

bornadog
15-02-2016, 05:22 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2016%20-%20Galleries/Intra%20Club/417675-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Any update on Clay Smith from the speeches?

Happy Days
15-02-2016, 05:27 PM

Adams' was far more concerning.

Mofra
15-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Interesting, thanks.

Your opinion of Adams seems to match a few WAFL watchers who note Adams isn't the type to play on opponents taller than him, which concerns me. His footskills seem a concern too.

Roughy is worrying too, sounding more like Andrejs Everitt every year in that we don't seem to have a position for him.

Loving the improvement in Dale, Daniel and Redpath. The round 1 side almost certainly seems like one of Dale or Daniel will play as a high half-forward distributer.

Cyberdoggie
15-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Dunks is listed at 189cm I believe, so should of been an even sized match up pretty much.

Sounds like competition for inside mids is going to be hot this year amongst the group.
Libba, Wallis, Stevens, Daniel, Dahlhaus, Jong, Dunkley to name a few. Great that most have good versatility in that they can play dual roles but not many spots free.

I have a very strange feeling about this squad, never seen so much depth in a bulldogs squad before, yes there is some holes in defence and no real superstar in the ruck, but lots of quality and young quality coming through. Really only maybe 2 players that I think may find it hard to get a game from the senior list and that is due to the others around them.

Will be interesting to see the GWS game, I hope we don't go in with our best possible lineup. GWS will be eager and fresh.

LostDoggy
15-02-2016, 10:23 PM
This was the 1st family day we have attended in many a year and whilst I thought what the club put on was very good. I will take the East meets West day anytime over the family day. With east meets west day the players mingle with supporters and you can actually engage in conversation in a very relaxed atmosphere. Having to line up to meet players then get photos was all a bit to rushed and not really what my kids and I was looking for. No fault of the players or the club but due to large crowd not sure what else they could do.

Mofra
16-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Not many rucks are competent KPF's, so if he can continue to improve his ruck work and chips away at his forward craft he's probably safe on a Beveridge lead list.
I think Boyd is ahead of him already in the ruck/forward department - ok in the ruck (still learning) but already a far, far better forward and an infinitely better kick for goal.

Unpopular opinion, but competent forward/rucks are not very common at AFL level.

Tippett is the prototype and Richmond have Vickery & Griffiths, Stefan Martin can play the role, Geelong have a few injury prone types (Vardy & that St Kilda trade in), Melbourne have Gawn, Port have Ryder.... and who else is there?
Dixon plays 5 good games per year and is too injury prone for ruckwork, GC Nicholls has gone backwards at a rate of knots, Ben Brown is "ok" but probably will get there, maybe McGovern from WC can do it.
There aren't many.

SlimPickens
16-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Good post Mofra. Maybe we look at reverting back to the Leigh Brown type of player. Which to me could be Redpaths go. He is a competitive animal and a handy forward. This allows Boyd to play forward exclusively, Roughead back and TC/Minno fighting it out for the first ruck spot.

Alternatively Roughead could play as a defender/ruck playing on those types you have suggested above.

bornadog
16-02-2016, 10:55 AM
This was the 1st family day we have attended in many a year and whilst I thought what the club put on was very good. I will take the East meets West day anytime over the family day. With east meets west day the players mingle with supporters and you can actually engage in conversation in a very relaxed atmosphere. Having to line up to meet players then get photos was all a bit to rushed and not really what my kids and I was looking for. No fault of the players or the club but due to large crowd not sure what else they could do.

I use to take my daughter to family day. One time we arrived early and ran into Johnno and my daughter was very excited and asked him for an autograph. His response was no as we had to line up at the tent later on in the day. Needless to say I was not happy.

Mofra
16-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Good post Mofra. Maybe we look at reverting back to the Leigh Brown type of player. Which to me could be Redpaths go. He is a competitive animal and a handy forward. This allows Boyd to play forward exclusively, Roughead back and TC/Minno fighting it out for the first ruck spot.

Alternatively Roughead could play as a defender/ruck playing on those types you have suggested above.
I guess having Redpath as well makes things interesting - Redders was quite handy pinch hitting in the ruck too so a Boyd/Redders combo as pinch hitters with a genuine first ruck option may be on the cards for some games (big ground games?)

Still not convinced we will play Redpath & Boyd in the same side too oftenm, and certainly not with Roughy too unless Roughead plays FB which would contradict pre-season training reports

Greystache
16-02-2016, 12:14 PM
I guess having Redpath as well makes things interesting - Redders was quite handy pinch hitting in the ruck too so a Boyd/Redders combo as pinch hitters with a genuine first ruck option may be on the cards for some games (big ground games?)

Still not convinced we will play Redpath & Boyd in the same side too oftenm, and certainly not with Roughy too unless Roughead plays FB which would contradict pre-season training reports

It will be interesting to see what Redpath's tank is like this season. In an ideal world he'd play a Barry Hall style role when he played for Sydney, that being the lead up CHF who can do stints deeper in the forward line when needed (like when Boyd pushes into the ruck) and can do his own pinch hitting in the ruck when needed. If he can build a serious tank over the next couple of years then he could play a really key role. Whether he has the capability to it is another discussion.

Roughy needs to play in defence with some pinch hitting in the ruck. I like the idea of him following the opposition ruck/forward around the ground. I don't want him anywhere near the forward line.

Twodogs
16-02-2016, 03:20 PM

It will be interesting to see what Redpath's tank is like this season. In an ideal world he'd play a Barry Hall style role when he played for Sydney, that being the lead up CHF who can do stints deeper in the forward line when needed (like when Boyd pushes into the ruck) and can do his own pinch hitting in the ruck when needed. If he can build a serious tank over the next couple of years then he could play a really key role. Whether he has the capability to it is another discussion.

Roughy needs to play in defence with some pinch hitting in the ruck. I like the idea of him following the opposition ruck/forward around the ground. I don't want him anywhere near the forward line.

I see Redpath developing into our Daniel Bradshaw with the ability to play as a general tall forward and take boundary throw ins and ruck contests in the forward line.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 05:33 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-27/rookie-pick-11-brad-lynch

Was talking to a mad Dogs fan who went to the scratch match. He knows the players inside out - the one who really impressed him was Brad Lynch. Reckons he sees a lot of Leon Cameron in him, with the rangy build, loping style with surprising acceleration and crisp, penetrating disposal either side.

Went back and had a look at his highlights tape. Gee it's impressive for a Rookie, good pack mark and composed in traffic. Looks a lefty but goals from 50 on the right. Not bad for a 17 year old.

Clearly he's got a way to go and kilo's to put on, but in time he may just prove to be another of Dal's bargains.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Lynch was a bit of a standout for mine too. Just had a lot of raw ability which will take some time to develop. Only query I have is his ability to halve and win contested ball, but with a bigger body and correct teaching hopefully this works out itself. In terms of running and disposal he's a long way ahead of others.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Lynch was a bit of a standout for mine too. Just had a lot of raw ability which will take some time to develop. Only query I have is his ability to halve and win contested ball, but with a bigger body and correct teaching hopefully this works out itself. In terms of running and disposal he's a long way ahead of others.

Cheers TBB. Do you reckon my mates Leon Cameron comparison is somewhere near the mark, at least in terms of general style? I reckon a Cameron type augments our list very nicely.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Cheers TBB. Do you reckon my mates Leon Cameron comparison is somewhere near the mark, at least in terms of general style? I reckon a Cameron type augments our list very nicely.

I'd need to see him a few more times PP, but on an initial assessment it's not a bad suggestion at all. He moves across the ground and through traffic quite well, spotting up targets on either side of his body - all traits of Leon.

Should be exciting to see how he goes in the VFL. We know already that he can be very dangerous with ball in hand given his pace and skill, but I can't comment yet on his footy nous.

boydogs
16-02-2016, 11:02 PM

I see it the same way, but the issue with our talls is not flexibility, it's quality

always right
16-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Adams' was far more concerning.
Let's not overstate things. He was playing in his first competitive hit out for the club in front of the Bulldogs faithful. He would no doubt have been nervous, even a little anxious with his disposal. I got the impression on at least a couple of occasions that he was a little ambitious rather than kicking within his limitations like Morris does and Talia did in his time with the club.

I'm happy to show a bit of faith until we see him play in the NAB challenge.

choconmientay
17-02-2016, 01:22 AM
I dropped by the Whitten Oval last weekend to watch the IntraClub match. Some quick snaps during the game. Was so busy since the weekend and didn't have the time to share.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskuBLeYE

Enjoy.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 01:43 AM
I dropped by the Whitten Oval last weekend to watch the IntraClub match. Some quick snaps during the game. Was so busy since the weekend and didn't have the time to share.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskuBLeYE

Enjoy.

Super stuff choconmientay - you have a real talent, a lot of really good shots in there. Enjoyed them very much.

Gee Toby Maclean was certainly heavily strapped.

boydogs
17-02-2016, 01:43 AM

Check out pic 9

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272802@N04/sets/72157664683456506/

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 02:01 AM
Check out pic 9

I run the risk of positioning myself as an Adams apologist here but, in fairness, if you look at his feet compared to Dunkley's in that photo, they are a fair way apart and JD is going to look relatively taller than is actually the case.

Not saying anyone is wrong, just that the photo isn't the best evidence.

Greystache
17-02-2016, 02:15 AM
Check out pic 9

Yep, and that's how it looked in person. It was enough to be able to notice from some distance away. Dunkley at 189cm seems about right, Adams at 187cm seems realistic.

boydogs
17-02-2016, 02:47 AM
I run the risk of positioning myself as an Adams apologist here but, in fairness, if you look at his feet compared to Dunkley's in that photo, they are a fair way apart and JD is going to look relatively taller than is actually the case.

Not saying anyone is wrong, just that the photo isn't the best evidence.

He's close enough to be on Marcus' shadow. Added to Greystache's earlier comments, it makes me worry

azabob
17-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Back onto Lynch, he must have also impressed the coaching staff as well. In Beveridge's interview on SEN yesterday the hosts brought up Jed Addock and asked will you elevate him right away. During Lukes answer he also mentioned Lynch. So if Lynch continues doing what he's doing I think he will get a senior game or two before the years out.

azabob
17-02-2016, 07:47 AM
I heard Dunkley is actually 192.3cm, not 189cm.

Mofra
17-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Back onto Lynch, he must have also impressed the coaching staff as well. In Beveridge's interview on SEN yesterday the hosts brought up Jed Addock and asked will you elevate him right away. During Lukes answer he also mentioned Lynch. So if Lynch continues doing what he's doing I think he will get a senior game or two before the years out.
At the start of last year nobody gave Rourke Smith much chance of a debut either. Our MC is certainly brave when it comes to playing the kids.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Wow. That would be a huge growth spurt. JD came to the club in ridiculously developed physical shape also for an 18 year old - his arms have the definition of a guy who's done several AFL preseasons.

Apparently he was off the charts in our character/leadership testing pre-draft also, and Bevo was comparing his attitude, manner to Luke Ball in his interview, so the kid has a lot going for him - now we've just gotta hope he can get a kick and hit a target :)

Happy Days
17-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Omg not again.

Greystache
17-02-2016, 12:07 PM

He measured 188.8cm at the draft camp in October, which looks about right.

Adams looks like a chunkier slightly smaller version on Morris out on the field.

Mofra
17-02-2016, 12:18 PM
He measured 188.8cm at the draft camp in October, which looks about right.
Macrae was about that height at draft camp wasn't he? grown 2cm since drafting.
Dunkley could well end up as another 190cm midfielder

BornInDroopSt'54
17-02-2016, 12:44 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-27/rookie-pick-11-brad-lynch

Was talking to a mad Dogs fan who went to the scratch match. He knows the players inside out - the one who really impressed him was Brad Lynch. Reckons he sees a lot of Leon Cameron in him, with the rangy build, loping style with surprising acceleration and crisp, penetrating disposal either side.

Went back and had a look at his highlights tape. Gee it's impressive for a Rookie, good pack mark and composed in traffic. Looks a lefty but goals from 50 on the right. Not bad for a 17 year old.

Clearly he's got a way to go and kilo's to put on, but in time he may just prove to be another of Dal's bargains.

Lynch was the standout recruit at the early training session I saw. Natural footballer with a good skill set including marking.

Mofra
17-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Lynch was the standout recruit at the early training session I saw. Natural footballer with a good skill set including marking.
The draft watchers all noted he was super skilled both sides of the body and judges the ball well but is very, very outside.
If he ends up approaching the style of Murphy/Cameron off the HBF I couldn't care if he's so outside he lives in a tent.

SlimPickens
17-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Yep, and that's how it looked in person. It was enough to be able to notice from some distance away. Dunkley at 189cm seems about right, Adams at 187cm seems realistic.

Adams is clearly taller than 190cm and so is Dunkley. I'd say they are both around the 192-3 mark.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Adams is clearly taller than 190cm and so is Dunkley. I'd say they are both around the 192-3 mark.

At the Combine (which precisely measures every individual to the tenth of a centimetre), Adams measured 193 and Dunkley 189. Given they are similar now, it seems more probable that Dunkley has grown than Adams has shrunk.

Maddog37
17-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Saw Adams today and he looks like a half back flanker. Definitely not key position size IMHO.

Lynch was very impressive but did get nailed in tackles at times.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Saw Adams today and he looks like a half back flanker. Definitely not key position size IMHO.

Lynch was very impressive but did get nailed in tackles at times.

A number of key backs are not huge. Scott Thompson of North is 193cm same size as Adams. When we recruited Adams I remember reading he "plays" tall for want of a better explanation.

Mofra
17-02-2016, 03:27 PM
A number of key backs are not huge. Scott Thompson of North is 193cm same size as Adams. When we recruited Adams I remember reading he "plays" tall for want of a better explanation.
Really? I heard the exact opposite - he plays at his height or below, not taller.
Collins was the opposite - plays taller than his height.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Really? I heard the exact opposite - he plays at his height or below, not taller.

If the scouting reports on Adams are right, he may well be at the kennel for a while yet. The 22 year old had a standout year in the WAFL in 2015, his combination of speed and power allowing him to cover opponents of all shapes and sizes.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-04/adams-royal-flush

Looks like we both are right.

LostDoggy
17-02-2016, 03:44 PM

What I have heard about Adams is that he can play tall or small. At the combine his 20 metre sprints were 2.9 seconds, so he can cover ground in spurts, but his standing vertical leap was outstanding (76 cm) meaning he can cover guys a few centimetres taller, given his leap and his strength.

He also reads the ball well in the air so he should be good to cover anybody around the 196 size, the 200 cm types will be tough though, you'd have to think.

From the weekend though, it appears his endurance and disposal skills may be big queries as to his ability to fill an AFL role at this stage.

bornadog
17-02-2016, 03:47 PM

They struggle against the monster forwards. Have alook at how many 200cm young guys coming through - GWS, GC and even our Tom Boyd. I may be wrong, but don't know why we recruited him.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 03:54 PM
They struggle against the monster forwards. Have alook at how many 200cm young guys coming through - GWS, GC and even our Tom Boyd. I may be wrong, but don't know why we recruited him.

Time will tell BAD. I was actually happy about his recruitment. Based on purely what I read about him.

ratsmac
17-02-2016, 06:19 PM

Omg not again.

lol I think we might have to take matters into our own hands and rock up to training with our tape measures and demand a recount (or should I say re-measure)

GVGjr
17-02-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm not that concerned if Adams is 191cm, 192cm or 193cm because if he can play at the AFL level he will figure out a way of playing within the limitations of his height. His athleticism didn't look that flash on Saturday and that's the area I'd like to see some improvement with despite the fact that he tested well at the combine. It's early days for him. If he plays 8 senior games he's had a good first up season with us.

GVGjr
17-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Height is a bit over rated with the way we set-up our back line. A few cm's won't really matter. Hamling is 194cm and performed pretty well last year. Roberts is 196cm and did OK but lacks the stamina and running power required. If he improves in that area he will be good for us.
The point is you don't necessarily need to have 198cm defenders with the way we zone in the back line. It would be nice but we shouldn't use it as an excuse.

ratsmac
17-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Height is a bit over rated with the way we set-up our back line. A few cm's won't really matter. Hamling is 194cm and performed pretty well last year. Roberts is 196cm and did OK but lacks the stamina and running power required. If he improves in that area he will be good for us.
The point is you don't necessarily need to have 198cm defenders with the way we zone in the back line. It would be nice but we shouldn't use it as an excuse.

Good point you make. With the way we set up last year we were able to get a 2nd defender giving a chop out in the marking contest more often than not which is the ideal scenario.
And if it's Wood coming over the top it doesn't matter if the forward is Aaron Sandilands!

always right
17-02-2016, 09:10 PM

I recall you being pretty upbeat when we drafted him. Now you're expressing doubts after one intraclub match. I just don't get it.

Doc26
17-02-2016, 09:40 PM
What I have heard about Adams is that he can play tall or small. At the combine his 20 metre sprints were 2.9 seconds, so he can cover ground in spurts, but his standing vertical leap was outstanding (76 cm) meaning he can cover guys a few centimetres taller, given his leap and his strength.

He also reads the ball well in the air so he should be good to cover anybody around the 196 size, the 200 cm types will be tough though, you'd have to think.

From the weekend though, it appears his endurance and disposal skills may be big queries as to his ability to fill an AFL role at this stage.

As has already been mentioned, whilst Adams marking was strong, his kicking disposal was way off in Saturday's scratch match. He simply couldn't hit a target. This would be my main area of concern for him at this time as he hopefully will have time to build on his endurance in an elite system.

A fair bit has been mentioned on the promise shown of young Lynch which I would also agree with. For mine Bailey Williams, aside from one ordinary kick, shone in his debut performance. The disposal skills of both kids looked very good as did the run they provided. There's a bit to like about both boys.

I would've liked to have seen a bit more size on Declan given another preseason. Unlike Dunkley, it seems like he might struggle to put on upper body size. Hopefully this doesn't hold him back.

Redpath looked like he may have progressed before finishing up early in the third with what I thought was more of a hip than a quad. He was grimacing on testing out the right hip down on the boundary line. He definitely wasn't being rested as I heard the Doc on the bench say he was done. Jack looked very sombre after the injury with Luke post match saying to him to keep his 'chin up'; that it should 'settle'.

Seeing Libba out there again in the thick of it was the clear highlight not to mention him getting through a full four quarters unscathed.

jeemak
17-02-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm not that concerned if Adams is 191cm, 192cm or 193cm because if he can play at the AFL level he will figure out a way of playing within the limitations of his height. His athleticism didn't look that flash on Saturday and that's the area I'd like to see some improvement with despite the fact that he tested well at the combine. It's early days for him. If he plays 8 senior games he's had a good first up season with us.

If it's his first preseason at AFL level he's more than half a chance to have been cooked on Sunday anyway. We don't know how much work has been put into him leading up to the game so if his athleticism and decision making or execution were off it could be because of fatigue (mental and physical).

I'm a bit like you though, we need to treat him as any other first round draftee and give him a year to adapt. It was only twelve months ago that people were questioning Tory Dickson's value.

Bulldog4life
17-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Just on Adams a little of what Rohan Smith said after the match,

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-15/can-the-old-man-get-better

Another of Smith’s defensive group to stand out from the pack was WAFL recruit Marcus Adams, the big bodied 22-year-old making his claim for a spot in the Bulldogs squad for Thursday week’s NAB Challenge opener against Greater Western Sydney.

“He’s strong, isn’t he?, Smith remarked.

“He turned the ball over, but I said to him not to worry about it.

"The way that he defended and defended with purpose was great - It was a really good sign.”

bornadog
17-02-2016, 11:30 PM
I recall you being pretty upbeat when we drafted him. Now you're expressing doubts after one intraclub match. I just don't get it.

This is what I wrote when we drafted him

Big unit and hopefully at 22 years old he has what it takes to be an AFL player.

I haven't written him off, I am just concerned that is all. I think he needs at least a year, and another pre-season then we can decide if he makes it.

stefoid
18-02-2016, 10:06 PM
FWIW, there is a Hamling video on the club website and he appears next to Adams with a bunch of other players standing a round, and Hamling has 3 or 4 cm on Adams (Hamling = 194cm)

always right
19-02-2016, 09:33 AM
I don't understand all the conjecture about Adam's height? We all knew he wasn't key position height when we drafted him but understood he played tall and had a strong body.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I don't understand all the conjecture about Adam's height? We all knew he wasn't key position height when we drafted him but understood he played tall and had a strong body.

Anxiety takes many forms. Luckily it converts to excitement if you let it.

GVGjr
19-02-2016, 07:26 PM

Agreed, it's not really an issue because he wasn't drafted to take on the key forwards week after week. Lets give him some more time to adapt.

Go_Dogs
19-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Agreed, it's not really an issue because he wasn't drafted to take on the key forwards week after week. Lets give him some more time to adapt.

Is an Easton Wood style player more around the mark of what we should hope Adams can develop into?

GVGjr
19-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Is an Easton Wood style player more around the mark of what we should hope Adams can develop into?

Probably a fair comparison. I don't say this with a lot of confidence but he might be a Josh Gibson type if he can perform at his best

Twodogs
19-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Probably a fair comparison. I don't say this with a lot of confidence but he might be a Josh Gibson type if he can perform at his best

If he can learn when to peal of his opponents the way Gibson does I'll be happy. Difficult seeing him lock down a position in the team though, not an ability thing more a case of who we take out?