PDA

View Full Version : Triple H - Heppell, Hurley, Hooker

bulldogtragic
15-01-2016, 06:41 PM
A part from trying to get them as delisted free agents, what would be our pitch to them as players and how could we fit (say) two of them in the cap?

Presumably they don't live that far from our home base. Presumably they'd be best 22 players in a team advancing to a period of serious September action. We are linked to VU so their health and fitness for 12 months would be elite although we couldn't be seen to be doing it directly, but VU can contract their services to any athlete they like. It's a fresh start, new coach, great culture and Stew who knows what they're going through and how supportive our club is. Seems as good a pitch as anyone else.

Assuming two were gettable, say $1,000,000 at a minimum we need to find. The obvious pay check to lose is Minson, but then we'd need to look at someone like Bellchambers or another seasoned ruck too. Matty Boyd could retire, although Murphy and Morris could have another year. So between Minson less a seasoned ruckman and Boyd that might be $400,000 in savings. Delistings of fringe players won't free up much, although if Clay did his knee again I'm not sure he'd get another contract. So we need to find some cash. If the club can argue Stew's salary shouldn't count to this years cap, could we load up a few players this year and free up the $400,000 to future years as contracts have been paid early?

I still think that leaves us a little light on for cash. So then trading out a player with a good wage for a high enough pick too becomes an option if we can get two of them. So imagine we pull it off, we could get one/two proven AFL players, Crameri back, our natural first rounder, our natural second rounder, and another first or second round pick from such a trade and then the cash to pull it off.

Who could we offer up who is on decent money and who could get us relatively high pick? Could we actually offer a trade to Essendon to agree to pay part of their salary as they might not meet the minimum cap? I.e. Hrovat for pick 100 and they pay some salary of incoming DFAs to facilitate them coming to us?

Certainly represents a great list management opportunity if we have a strong pitch to get them across to us, but finding the cash for any of the Triple H needs some thinking. Good thing we have JMac and a brilliant legal mind at the helm. Thoughts?

Twodogs
15-01-2016, 08:28 PM
The VU connection could be something worth looking into. Some thing along the lines of elite conditioning work until September to keep them in top condition as well as sports counselling/therapy/debrief when they are up to it. The club would have to be completely hands off. Maybe VU could spot a gap in the market and slap a program together and offer it to a selected few of the Essendon players-selected on the basis of their ability to slot into a position we don't have filled I suggest. VUT sports science department would be the logical organisation to provide a service like that.

Twodogs
15-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Maybe VUT could approach Essendon and offer to provide that service for their banned players. Then it's nothing to do with us. They could almost run on a club like basis. Players attend full time like they do now. They work on their game like they do now. We could get the st Kilda and Port and Melbourne and bulldog guys doing it as well.

This could work. Make it apparent to them after a bit that this was all our idea because we were concerned about their welfare and thought this sort of environment-close to what it would have been like at a real club environment would have a few benefits and made the most of a bad situation.

Also We would, sorry VUT would, also get access to lots of testing information and data that could come in handy when we decide which of them we want to cherry pick. For nothing. After having nine months to assess them.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-01-2016, 10:26 PM
I'd prefer the real HHH

bulldogtragic
15-01-2016, 10:36 PM
I'd prefer the real HHH

I'm more of a Mankind & Stone Cold man myself. But Kane or The Undertaker would be OK. Better yet, a player who could use the peoples elbow on the Tahleeyas appeals to me even more. Would Dwayne qualify as an international rookie to upgrade for Crameri's spot? I'm happy to chip in for it.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-01-2016, 09:26 AM
I like the way you're thinking

F'scary
17-01-2016, 10:53 AM
BT, can you clarify your discussion of the DFA outcome of the Essendon bans? Is this something you heard or read or is it speculation based on the notion that the players won't want to play with the Bummers any more?

bulldogtragic
17-01-2016, 10:55 AM
BT, can you clarify your discussion of the DFA outcome of the Essendon bans? Is this something you heard or read or is it speculation based on the notion that the players won't want to play with the Bummers any more?

A couple of other threads on here contain several conversations that the 12 Essendon players have been declared as DFAs by the AFL if they want to leave. I haven't researched it, just taking the conversation on here at face value.

F'scary
17-01-2016, 10:58 AM
A couple of other threads on here contain several conversations that the 12 Essendon players have been declared as DFAs by the AFL if they want to leave. I haven't researched it, just taking the conversation on here at face value.

Cool, I'll keep my eye out for any media coverage of this issue. There could be quite a few of them looking for bigger contracts or to get away from Hirdy.

Ghost Dog
17-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Do we want them? I will accept that Crameri maybe didn't do the right thing 100% by at least he tried to get out of Essendon.
The others have been charged with a fairly serious offence - taking and hiding performance enhancing drugs. And they try to stand by people who gave them substances of a questionable nature. Who would take them and who would not?

bulldogtragic
17-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Do we want them? I will accept that Crameri maybe didn't do the right thing 100% by at least he tried to get out of Essendon.
The others have been charged with a fairly serious offence - taking and hiding performance enhancing drugs. Who would take them and who would not?

A proven A Grade midfielder, and two solid KPPs. I'd have them in a heart beat. Bellchambers too if we can't source another ruck.

G-Mo77
17-01-2016, 11:24 AM
A proven A Grade midfielder, and two solid KPPs. I'd have them in a heart beat. Bellchambers too if we can't source another ruck.

Hooker is the only one who I have respect for. Heppell cheated to get to Essendon and the other is a brain dead thug. Good players yet but seem like shit people.

LostDoggy
17-01-2016, 12:02 PM
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30566332/banned-bombers-can-walk-out-on-club/

(https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30566332/banned-bombers-can-walk-out-on-club/)

F'Scary, the DFA ruling has been reported by the press. Apparently, Essendon's actions essentially make their existing contracts void if an Essendon player chooses to leave, they can do so effectively as an uncontracted player. Above article outlines a little detail.

Greystache
17-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Hooker is the only one who I have respect for. Heppell cheated to get to Essendon and the other is a brain dead thug. Good players yet but seem like shit people.

Did he? Did I miss something? What did he do?

Twodogs
17-01-2016, 06:21 PM
He had a under par performance in the TAC GF prior to the draft but starred up until then and got great results at draft camp.

Anyway if he did then I'm thinking he's regretting his decision now.

Greystache
17-01-2016, 06:23 PM
He had a under par performance in the TAC GF prior to the draft but starred up until then and got great results at draft camp.

Is that cheating? :confused:

G-Mo77
17-01-2016, 06:30 PM

That and the phantom groin problems. They got a player a couple of seasons back the same way. Pity for them he turned out a dud.

Twodogs
17-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Is that cheating? :confused:

It would depend on his intention I guess. All I know is if I played in a GF and one of my teammates didn't bother in order to suit his own personal agenda then I wouldn't be very happy. He'd find himself wearing sunglasses to draft night. Maybe even a walking stick.

That and the phantom groin problems. They got a player a couple of seasons back the same way. Pity for them he turned out a dud.

Ariel Steinberg?
They pull the same stunt every four or five years I reckon. Adelaide used to try it on from time to time too.

bulldogtragic
17-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I know other clubs have accused us in the past of hiding Easton Wood and trying to dampen Lachie Hunter's underage form.

Hawthorn was accused by Adelaide of getting into Gunstun way too hard in his underage years to get him to ask for a trade if they couldn't get him in the draft.

Isn't that just working the grey area along the fair side of the line?

G-Mo77
17-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Ariel Steinberg?

Probably him as well. The guy I was thinking of was Kavanagh. Had mysterious hamstring problems after an interview with Essendon as well as his father put in road blocks for other clubs to even interview him. I'm pretty sure they actually got found guilty of it at some stage over the last 10 years.

Twodogs
18-01-2016, 02:14 AM
Probably him as well. The guy I was thinking of was Kavanagh. Had mysterious hamstring problems after an interview with Essendon as well as his father put in road blocks for other clubs to even interview him. I'm pretty sure they actually got found guilty of it at some stage over the last 10 years.

Yeah I'm sure there was a story about some shenanigans to do with Steinberg.

Bulldog4life
18-01-2016, 10:56 AM
I'd prefer the real HHH

With or without his sledge hammer?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Would love Hooker (or Hurley). They'd be enormous for us.

Ghost Dog
18-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Wonder if having one ex-bomber makes it any easier for us?

Testekill
19-01-2016, 10:37 PM

I haven't heard anything about Steinberg but Kavanagh and his dad deliberately tanked interviews.

Pugz89
21-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Isn't Crameri good mates with Hooker? May put in a good word with him for us. Not sure we really need Heppell tbh. Hooker would be my #1 target, Hurls would be a bit behind him. As for the poster who posed picking up TBC, i'd take T Campbell ahead of him. Is only 24 and is already showing signs of becoming a decent ruck for us, so long as his body holds out. Ditto with Roughy.

Twodogs
21-01-2016, 02:51 AM
I haven't heard anything about Steinberg but Kavanagh and his dad deliberately tanked interviews.

I'm sure I recall stories about him. I might be thinking of the wrong guy but it's such a distinct name. Last year when he gave Tom Boyd a touch up in the VFL I can remember thinking about it.

The Underdog
21-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Steinberg is a 2nd rate James Gwilt. If they did anything underhand to get their hands on him then we should all be glad that they removed the small risk of him being on our list.

Testekill
21-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Steinberg is a 2nd rate James Gwilt. If they did anything underhand to get their hands on him then we should all be glad that they removed the small risk of him being on our list.

True that, Steinberg is seriously really bad and if they had actually cheated the draft to get him then that shit is even funnier

Happy Days
21-01-2016, 10:05 PM

If anyone needs affirmation of how bad Steinberg is then go and watch Crameri put 7 up on him from last year.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2016, 03:17 AM
Isn't Crameri good mates with Hooker? May put in a good word with him for us. Not sure we really need Heppell tbh. Hooker would be my #1 target, Hurls would be a bit behind him. As for the poster who posed picking up TBC, i'd take T Campbell ahead of him. Is only 24 and is already showing signs of becoming a decent ruck for us, so long as his body holds out. Ditto with Roughy.

You know your list is in a good state when you don't need Dyson Heppell.

SlimPickens
22-01-2016, 09:24 AM
I hope we're going to approach Colyers agent. His pace could be a real asset.

Happy Days
26-01-2016, 03:08 AM
Triple H won the WWE Title today, so I think the chances of us signing him now are slim to none unfortunately.

Twodogs
26-01-2016, 05:37 AM
Triple H won the WWE Title today, so I think the chances of us signing him now are slim to none unfortunately.

He'd give away too many silly free kicks anyway.

LostDoggy
26-01-2016, 07:12 AM

Something about his game just bugs me anyway. Always staging.

bulldogtragic
26-01-2016, 09:46 AM

Damn. Guess it's plan b, to get the real people's champion and the people' elbow, if we can smell what The Rock is cooking.

LostDoggy
26-01-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm a CM Punk man myself. Would make a cracking centreman.

Raw Toast
27-01-2016, 01:39 PM
You know your list is in a good state when you don't need Dyson Heppell.

I don't think there's a team in the comp that wouldn't be happy to slip Heppell into a key midfield role - a young gun who plays better as the stakes rise. Already one of the most impressive players in the comp, I'd be more than wrapped if he wanted to come to us.

Pugz89
28-01-2016, 01:23 AM
I don't think there's a team in the comp that wouldn't be happy to slip Heppell into a key midfield role - a young gun who plays better as the stakes rise. Already one of the most impressive players in the comp, I'd be more than wrapped if he wanted to come to us.
Who would he play ahead of out of the guys we already have? Macrae, Libba, Wallis, Hunter, Stevens, Dahlhaus, Bont etc..
Mids who can play forward will be all the rage now with interchange cap coming in, Heppell up fwd doesn't scare me in the slightest. So sorry but i disagree.

Mantis
28-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Who would he play ahead of out of the guys we already have? Macrae, Libba, Wallis, Hunter, Stevens, Dahlhaus, Bont etc..
Mids who can play forward will be all the rage now with interchange cap coming in, Heppell up fwd doesn't scare me in the slightest. So sorry but i disagree.

He plays before all of them except probably Libba and the Bont.

Twodogs
28-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Yep. Hunter, Stevens, Dalhaus go forward, Wallis forward/bench. Even Bont could go forward or to the outside of the midfield to accomodate Heppell.

Ghost Dog
28-01-2016, 01:00 PM

Dahlhaus V Heppell. Interesting debate. I would bet money their numbers are not too different.
Luke gave us excellent service in 2015. Didn't miss a game I believe and was very consistent.
Their taste in haircuts is not too different.

LostDoggy
28-01-2016, 02:37 PM
I don't think anyone could be seriously suggesting that we wouldn't pursue Dyson Heppell if we could get him for free (in terms of trade/draft picks), that's just silly. Taking age into consideration, he's got to have considerably more currency than Suckling or Adcock who both made our list.

Given Watson and Stanton are reportedly included in those seeking legal action aginst EFC, they presumably are on the market. Would either add value to our list?

Mantis
28-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Dahlhaus V Heppell. Interesting debate. I would bet money their numbers are not too different.
Luke gave us excellent service in 2015. Didn't miss a game I believe and was very consistent.
Their taste in haircuts is not too different.

Their numbers are almost identical from 2015, but I have Heppell in front, just a bit cleaner in traffic and with the ball.. but I'm very happy to have Dahl playing with us instead of opposing us.

Twodogs
28-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Their numbers are almost identical from 2015, but I have Heppell in front, just a bit cleaner in traffic and with the ball.. but I'm very happy to have Dahl playing with us instead of opposing us.

What about goal kicking? Dahl has probably spent more time forward but still is pretty deadly from the midfield.Last 20 or 25 games. Is that about when Dahlhaus moved into the midfield?

Mantis
28-01-2016, 04:19 PM
What about goal kicking? Dahl has probably spent more time forward but still is pretty deadly from the midfield.Last 20 or 25 games. Is that about when Dahlhaus moved into the midfield?

17-13 in Luke's favour, but Luke probably spent a bit more time forward, but as you point out Luke was pretty much a permanent midfielder in 2015... Especially more so in the 2nd half of the year.

soupman
27-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Hooker has re signed with the Bombers.

bornadog
27-04-2016, 11:53 AM

5 year deal.

EasternWest
27-04-2016, 12:16 PM
To be honest I'm not surprised he's signed for so long. He seems like a stand up dude and such a long term contract is a show of faith and confidence from him, and it's the type of leadership move that inspires other to follow.

That should be it for us then. I rate Heppell but don't think he's the right fit for us, and Hurley is a complete knob that epitomises failing the dickhead test. Do not want.

Happy Days
27-04-2016, 12:30 PM
To be honest I'm not surprised he's signed for so long. He seems like a stand up dude and such a long term contract is a show of faith and confidence from him, and it's the type of leadership move that inspires other to follow.

That should be it for us then. I rate Heppell but don't think he's the right fit for us, and Hurley is a complete knob that epitomises failing the dickhead test. Do not want.

Hurley could personally punch me in the face and I'd still want him to play for my football team. The "no dickhead test" is a crock of shit anyway.

bornadog
27-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Hurley could personally punch me in the face and I'd still want him to play for my football team. The "no dickhead test" is a crock of shit anyway.

I would prefer Hurley to Hooker (as a player, have no idea about his personality)

EasternWest
27-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Well that's your take. Can we just settle for me not wanting him, you wanting him and I can just punch you in the face ;)?

Sedat
27-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Good news. Essendon will continue to tread water from 2017-2020 and will be bursting at the salary cap for many years to come. All of these players in the team for Essendon didn't even win them a final, and now they are older, slower and less doped up.

Greystache
27-04-2016, 01:49 PM
5 years for a player who'll be 28 in a team that finished 15th at full strength seems a strange decision. I appreciate they're up against it to retain their players and are throwing out big deals to keep them, but from a list management perspective this doesn't make a lot of sense.

I imagine Fremantle went off him in the past week for the very same reason.

FrediKanoute
27-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Disagree. The no dickhead test is one of the main reasons you can get the team to gel. Its less about the individual more about the team. Good football teams that build dynasties effectively have people of good character in their clubs to set the examples and to raise the bar. Don't underestimate the divisive nature that one individual can have on the team.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 04:43 PM
At first it seems bizarre, Essendon is happy to keep players who are suing them on their list. Of course it's in the players best interests to see the club succeed, otherwise they are not going to get their pay out.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Disagree. The no dickhead test is one of the main reasons you can get the team to gel. Its less about the individual more about the team. Good football teams that build dynasties effectively have people of good character in their clubs to set the examples and to raise the bar. Don't underestimate the divisive nature that one individual can have on the team.

Richmond's dickheads have been keeping them right where I want them, for successive seasons. Please keep your dickheads Tigers!

Happy Days
27-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Just like Hawthorn, all of their players are of the highest moral character. It's not like Geelong ever had anyone on their list who caused any trouble through their premiership years. And I know those dominant Kangaroos teams of the 90's were all total professionals and great clubmen.

Anyway, it's never been a "dickhead" test, but a "not getting caught" test. They're rich young men, they're ALL dickheads.

chef
27-04-2016, 05:02 PM
That great Brisbane Lions team had one of the biggest dick heads ever too.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Just the one?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Kidding ourselves if we think we don't have any dickheads on our list.

Twodogs
27-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Just the one?

There's only one biggest. The others were mere dickheads.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Kidding ourselves if we think we don't have any dickheads on our list.

Name names then.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2016, 06:48 PM
That great Brisbane Lions team had one of the biggest dick heads ever too.

Yes and a fluid replenishing drip program to match.

Twodogs
27-04-2016, 06:48 PM
And of course there is his old uncle Biggus Dickishead.

EasternWest
29-04-2016, 11:05 PM

I take it back HD. If we're going to insist on bombing it from 70 out, I'd love a guy that will take an occasional pack mark. He can punch me in the face too.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 12:32 AM
Hurleys not a pack mark he's a Crameri type minus the constitution.

EasternWest
30-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Hurleys not a pack mark he's a Crameri type minus the constitution.

Damn

azabob
30-04-2016, 10:16 AM
More importantly are people still getting punched in the face?

KT31
30-04-2016, 10:19 AM

After last night I hope a lot are getting a solid kick in the behind.
Although with our disposal at the minute we would miss the target.

EasternWest
30-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Get in line ��.

That's meant to be a punch emoji.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2016, 03:27 PM
What I wouldn't give to be punched out in the face. Hurley is a massive upgrade on Redpath. Dollars will be the issue.

bornadog
30-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Get in line ��.

That's meant to be a punch emoji.

Here use this :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcx8bx35wn1qeqirko1_500.jpg

bulldogtragic
08-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Essendon put out a weird media statement on Hurley today, essentially just to reconfirm they've made him an offer and that he still hasn't accepted. So he remains on the market as a delisted free agent, presumably still between Adelaide or Western Bulldogs unless he re-signs despite rebuffing them while ex-team mates have signed...

comrade
08-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Durant to GSW or Hurley to the Bulldogs. What's the biggest free agent signing of the year :D

bulldogtragic
08-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Durant to GSW or Hurley to the Bulldogs. What's the biggest free agent signing of the year :D

I hope that's a rhetorical question! :)

Remi Moses
08-07-2016, 10:48 PM
That Hurley statement was pointless
It basically just said we've put an offer forward( I think we already knew) and he hasn't made up his mind

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Has he toured our facilities?

Twodogs
09-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Has he toured our facilities?

Maybe we should send him to tour Collingwoods? Throw them off the scent...

Actually he's probably not allowed near an AFL facility until the suspension/ban is over

bulldogtragic
09-07-2016, 11:18 PM
I hope we are encouraging Hurley to watch our games.

1. He gets a game as our number one KPD.
2. He gets to play alongside some rare talents, in a club with a great vibe.
3. He could make a real contribution and play in premierships.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2016, 12:46 AM
Hurley can also keep his beard, it's like a lion's mane.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 11:12 AM
The other H, Hibberd, is requesting a trade according the AFL journos. Perhaps this is the start of a split that with the Essendon banned players sees Hurley look elsewhere too maybe?

1eyedog
13-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Hibberd wants out to Melbourne.

Bulldog4life
13-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Just heard Brian Waldron on KB's show say that the Bulldogs are working very very...his words...hard behind the scenes to get Hurley. He said very very again. And he finished off with that Hurley is interested too.

comrade
13-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Just heard Brian Waldron on KB's show say that the Bulldogs are working very very...his words...hard behind the scenes to get Hurley. He said very very again. And he finished off with that Hurley is interested too.

Good, so we bloody should be.

Would be a Hawthorn style move.

bornadog
13-07-2016, 12:28 PM

He is the missing link in our backline. I would imagine a few clubs would be chasing him. Hope Crameri is his best mate.

comrade
13-07-2016, 12:30 PM
If Hibberd breaks rank, it would make it easier for a player like Hurley to do it too.

If we could secure him without giving up a pick, it would be a master stroke.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 12:35 PM

Jeez that would be huge. Just massive. SO long as we don't need to give up much. Is he a free agent?

Bulldog4life
13-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Jeez that would be huge. Just massive. SO long as we don't need to give up much. Is he a free agent?

Not sure of his contract status or if he is a free agent.

jeemak
13-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Good, so we bloody should be.

Would be a Hawthorn style move.

Hawthorn will probably land him.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 12:41 PM
From The Age: "The All-Australian backman has a clause in his contract that would allow him to walk away from Tullamarine and join a club of his choice as a free agent."

So sounds like he is under contract but has some sort of clause allowing him to leave as a free agent?? Not sure what kind of clause that is or if it has anything to do with the doping scandal

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Hawthorn will probably land him.

Yeah or Geelong or Colllingwood

jeemak
13-07-2016, 12:43 PM

There's talk of him being able to leave EFC as a delisted free agent (or similar), due to a clause within player contracts that can be triggered as a result of the doping saga.

My best bet is he wouldn't do that to EFC and we'd be forced to deal with them, meaning our first round or a combination of picks and a player would be the likely price.

azabob
13-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Hurley is contracted for 2017.

From what i hear is that Hurley and Hibbard are very close and if one goes the other will also go. Ideally for them to the same club, but that appears unlikely.

azabob
13-07-2016, 12:45 PM
There's talk of him being able to leave EFC as a delisted free agent (or similar), due to a clause within player contracts that can be triggered as a result of the doping saga.

My best bet is he wouldn't do that to EFC and we'd be forced to deal with them, meaning our first round or a combination of picks and a player would be the likely price.

I wouldn't be so sure. Apparently he is extremely annoyed at Essendon and how the whole saga has played out. Now there is talk of delayed compensation payments, which would annoy him even more.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 12:46 PM

If it's his wishes, give them our first. Otherwise stuff them.

ledge
13-07-2016, 12:49 PM

I believe due to the drug scandal and not being a safe work place the AFL ruled all players involved can leave for nothing and I don't believe the league would win any court case if a player went to court in those terms.
Some players though might feel that's wrong and say they want to leave but want Essendon to get something. I suppose it falls into future deals you might want to do with the bombers and not hurting that possibility.

bornadog
13-07-2016, 12:51 PM

From what i hear is that Hurley and Hibbard are very close and if one goes the other will also go. Ideally for them to the same club, but that appears unlikely.

Waldron says Hibberd will be at Melbourne next year.

Bulldog4life
13-07-2016, 12:53 PM

According to Waldron today Hibbard is a given to Melbourne

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 12:54 PM
According to Waldron today Hibbard is a given to Melbourne

Who is Brian Waldron?

bornadog
13-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Who is Brian Waldron?

Ex CEO of Saints and Storm (disgraced CEO there)

Twodogs
13-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Who is Brian Waldron?

Ex St Kilda CEO. He was the CEO at Melbourne Storm when the salary cap cheating scandal broke and he took most of the heat for that. He's been sitting in the naughty corner pretty much ever since.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 01:06 PM
As a matter of employment law (finally I get to use my degree here! :) ), if you can establish that your employer breached express or implied terms of the employment contract, the employee can consider that the breach has terminated the contract is sufficiently serious enough. Implied terms are things like 'good faith & fidelity', 'mutual trust & confidence' and 'right to a safe workplace' among many others. If Hurley has legal advice that the doping regime has breached these terms and the breach was such that he can consider the contract ended, then it's a legal fight if Essendon want to use it. But with the WorkSafe report and WADA report they won't win. In fact, PG can offer Hurley 10 hours per week of chats over coffee pro bono indefinitely as part of our deal. That's not outside the cap, that's a hands on president chewing the fat with a player.

jeemak
13-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Just because he's annoyed and can exercise a right it doesn't mean he will.

Something tells me there'll be a level of pragmatism that will come into play, and Hurley and his manager will work to ensure he leaves the club on reasonable terms. If he leaves at all.

Of course I'd be delighted if he did leave them and they got nothing for him.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Something tells me there'll be a level of pragmatism that will come into play, and Hurley and his manager will work to ensure he leaves the club on reasonable terms. If he leaves at all.

Yeah IF he leaves he will work with Essendon to make sure it's via trade. What would be fair value? Taking into account why he is leaving. A first rounder enough? A first and Jong? More? Less?

Bulldog4life
13-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Bombers are set to offer Hurley, 26, a five-year contract extension when he returns from an overseas vacation in five weeks.

Should Hurley agree to the deal — which is believed to be between $700,000 and $800,000 a season — he would be contracted to the Bombers until the end of the 2022 season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michael-hurley-set-to-be-offered-longterm-deal-paul-marsh-tells-industry-to-grow-up--afl-media-watch/news-story/3dda4288871c9b4d4fcd5d53ee73b439

jeemak
13-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Let's see how far his nose really is out of joint.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 01:45 PM
They put out a statement the other day saying they already put it on the table... So $700,000 is the benchmark, with some legal assistance that the club would offer, we might be able to get near that. 5 years is a good tenure for a bloke having a year off.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Bombers are set to offer Hurley, 26, a five-year contract extension when he returns from an overseas vacation in five weeks.

Should Hurley agree to the deal — which is believed to be between $700,000 and $800,000 a season — he would be contracted to the Bombers until the end of the 2022 season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michael-hurley-set-to-be-offered-longterm-deal-paul-marsh-tells-industry-to-grow-up--afl-media-watch/news-story/3dda4288871c9b4d4fcd5d53ee73b439

It's interesting, that if we do get him, how another large contract will impact the list. Doesn't sound like Boyds contract is having much impact at the moment!

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 01:48 PM

If they want pragmatism like a first rounder, I want pragmatism like them coughing up some salary to make sure we can squeeze him in comfortably enough.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-07-2016, 02:20 PM
If they want pragmatism like a first rounder, I want pragmatism like them coughing up some salary to make sure we can squeeze him in comfortably enough.

With the get-out clause they won't have much leverage so they can't really play hardball like they normally do

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 02:23 PM
With the get-out clause they won't have much leverage so they can't really play hardball like they normally do

I think if he comes out publicly and says he's a bulldog next year, we've got the team to work out trades, salaries from whose list etc and get something done. It's not insurmountable if we are close enough on dollars and years.

The Pie Man
13-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Not getting my hopes up - Waldron surely has zero credibility

Gee, he would be ideal though (no, stop it, not thinking about it)

bornadog
13-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Not getting my hopes up - Waldron surely has zero credibility

Gee, he would be ideal though (no, stop it, not thinking about it)

but just imagine Hurley and Crameri playing next season - wow - come on JMac, get it done already.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 03:21 PM
If the reports about Hurley being interested in us are true, then we are in the ball park despite re-contracting all the players we have which is a huge effort by JMac. I take it we still have room, presumably because Minson is off to retirement. Even if we have to squeeze a 20-25 best player to get a little more room, that's worth it to sure up our backline for a premiership dynasty attempt. Essendon may still be under salary cap next year, so them putting up salary like we did with gryphone isn't overly far fetched if we can strike a deal. We'd also have three banned players at the club, so they'd want to find some common ground and potentially settle the legal cases too or Gordon Legal will represent a block of claimants.

comrade
13-07-2016, 03:23 PM
If we were forced to deal with Essendon, how would we feel about losing Tom Campbell?

Happy Days
13-07-2016, 03:27 PM
If we were forced to deal with Essendon, how would we feel about losing Tom Campbell?

For Hurley? Sorry Tom but where do I sign?

bulldogsthru&thru

I've heard essendon are into him. If that's what it took (along with our first rounder) i'd be fine with it, so long as we can nab a suitable replacement - i.e. a backup ruck who has had a few years in the system - might be why we're looking at Vardy

1eyedog

1,000,000% fine.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2016, 03:39 PM

All Australian CHB for a yet unproven ruckman? Is it a rhetorical question? :D

comrade
13-07-2016, 03:43 PM
All Australian CHB for a yet unproven ruckman? Is it a rhetorical question? :D

What can I say, I love the big lug.

GVGjr
13-07-2016, 07:36 PM

Will Minson probably likes this suggestion. I don't think we can offer a combination of picks and a player for Hurley and still pay him the sort of money he will command.

He needs to be prepared to take on Essendon and become a free agent so that Essendon can be compensated by the AFL not us.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Apparently Bret Anderson on SEN also saying we are massively into Hurley

comrade
14-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Connors manages Hurley. Also manages Crameri.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 02:08 PM

And likewise by some media reports. He doesn't have to move home, travel to work is similar or closer than Tullamarine, he gets a good years contract, he gets a very good salary and he turns heartbreak of his once blossoming career into becoming a 3 or 4 time premiership player.

Boyd off GWS. Suckling from Hawthorn. Hurley from Essendon. Now that's dishing out medicine we've been copping for a long time.

Twodogs
14-07-2016, 02:14 PM

He didn't mention if the love came back though. He mentioned a couple of other things said Caleb Marchbank will be playing in Victoria next year. Tomlinson to Carlton, Rockcliff staying, there was something else about us from a caller but I've forgotten.

Axe Man
14-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Barrett on the Footy Show last night mentioned North and us as 2 of 6 Melbourne clubs into Hurley. Seemed almost shocked and saddened when mentioning the Bulldogs. I assume that was because: a) He's a North supporter. and b) The Tom Boyd deal - the Bulldogs are paying $1 Billion a week for Boyd, they should be unable to re-sign all their good players, how can they possibly sign a player like Hurley? It's not fair, I critisise the Tom Boyd deal ad nauseam, I can not be wrong!

bornadog
14-07-2016, 02:20 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xat1/t31.0-8/13662172_1296229310394689_8139885943418612566_o.jpg

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 02:24 PM
*!*!*!*! I hate the man bun.

comrade
14-07-2016, 02:25 PM

You'll learn to love it.

How good is it to be in the mix for a genuine AA gun? Remember 2 years ago when we couldn't even convince Levi ****ing Greenwood to play for us.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 02:27 PM
You'll learn to love it.

No. But I will buy a membership just for his red huge beard. He will be the new people's beard, it's magnificent and far more impressive than Gawn's (which is impressive).

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Barrett on the Footy Show last night mentioned North and us as 2 of 6 Melbourne clubs into Hurley. Seemed almost shocked and saddened when mentioning the Bulldogs. I assume that was because: a) He's a North supporter. and b) The Tom Boyd deal - the Bulldogs are paying $1 Billion a week for Boyd, they should be unable to re-sign all their good players, how can they possibly sign a player like Hurley? It's not fair, I critisise the Tom Boyd deal ad nauseam, I can not be wrong!

He'd be stupid to join North. Retirement village on the way down for a while. I'm guessing all teams are into him. Collingwood and Hawthorn probably our biggest competitors

bulldogsthru&thru
14-07-2016, 02:42 PM
He didn't mention if the love came back though. He mentioned a couple of other things said Caleb Marchbank will be playing in Victoria next year. Tomlinson to Carlton, Rockcliff staying, there was something else about us from a caller but I've forgotten.

Think it was about Vardy

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 02:44 PM
In the mix for an AA KPD and when fit an outstanding KPF/second ruck prospect. Seems we are recruiting the best and trading for need, but alas we will need to trade a mid/small or two I dare say.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 02:46 PM
He'd be stupid to join North. Retirement village on the way down for a while. I'm guessing all teams are into him. Collingwood and Hawthorn probably our biggest competitors

Tigers have made a very big offer as has Carlton

comrade
14-07-2016, 02:48 PM
In the mix for an AA KPD and when fit an outstanding KPF/second ruck prospect. Seems we are recruiting the best and trading for need, but alas we will need to trade a mid/small or two I dare say.

Loving the interest in our 20-25 listed players like Stevens, Jong etc

If Hrovat has a strong last 4-6 weeks, the jungle drums will start thumping too.

Plenty to work with this trade period.

The Doctor
14-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Peter Gordon on KB's show this morning more or less said we would be very active in the player market.

Axe Man
14-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Hawthorn seem a big chance to get Tom Mitchell so hopefully that will rule them out from chasing Hurley as well. Collingwood don't have a first round pick (assuming it's a trade and not free agency).

Remi Moses
14-07-2016, 03:22 PM
One of the great things when you get a decent squad other teams look on the fringe players as better than they actually are.

comrade
14-07-2016, 03:23 PM
One of the great things when you get a decent squad other teams look on the fringe players as better than they actually are.

The GWS effect.

Remi Moses
14-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Tigers have made a very big offer as has Carlton

You'd be staggered if he chose either of those two to be honest.
One in No Man's Land and the other hasn't bottomed out yet.

Remi Moses
14-07-2016, 03:25 PM
The GWS effect.

A few on here commented a while ago on us recruiting so many mids giving us trade currency .

Mantis
14-07-2016, 03:33 PM
A few on here commented a while ago on us recruiting so many mids giving us trade currency .

Yep, we have an over supply so time to let a few go... At the right price of course.

Bulldog4life
14-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Are you bald BT?

Twodogs
14-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Zaharakis thinks Hurley is gonski;

Zaharakis fearful that Hibberd won't return

ESSENDON midfielder David Zaharakis is becoming increasingly concerned that suspended teammate Michael Hibberd will not be at the Bombers in 2017.

Melbourne has declared its interest in the tough 26-year-old defender who has played 84 games with the Bombers since he made his debut in 2011.

Zaharakis told RSN radio he hoped Hibberd, who is contracted until the end of 2017, returned to Essendon, but conceded reports of Melbourne's interest had him worried.

"The more you hear about these reports and the stronger they feel, then the more you worry that he might not be there," Zaharakis said.

"He's a required Essendon player [and] he is contracted so if he wants to move he has to seek a trade. Hopefully he does stay at the footy club, but at the moment I am unsure."

Zaharakis said whatever happened he expected the suspended players who were yet to re-commit to make a decision by September 13, the day on which they were allowed to return to the club and train.

Along with Hibberd, Michael Hurley, Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton, Ben Howlett and Tayte Pears are yet to declare their intentions for 2017.

Although contracted until the end of 2017, All Australian defender Hurley will be offered a long-term extension beyond next year by the Bombers to try to ward off interest from other clubs.

"Hopefully they have all made decisions by then, which will be in the next two months," Zaharakis said.

"Then the club can do whatever they need to do in the trade period and off-season period getting ready for next year."

Zaharakis also said he was not surprised to receive a one-week suspension for punching West Coast's Jackson Nelson in the stomach in round 15.

He described his act as undisciplined and admitted that the punch was too forceful.

"I was getting quite frustrated with the tag at the time. I let that get to my head and had a second of non-thinking," Zaharakis said.

From: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-14/zaharakis-fearful-that-hibberd-wont-return-to-bombers-in-2017

Axe Man
14-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Zaharakis thinks Hurley is gonski;

Do you mean Hibberd?

Twodogs
14-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Do you mean Hibberd?

I was wondering who would be the first to spot that

bulldogtragic
14-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Are you bald BT?

No, but a grey tinge is coming through since about round 3.

1eyedog
14-07-2016, 05:08 PM
The Watson silence is deafening. How can you be sure you want to recommit t the club if the leader of it doesn't lead the way?

Happy Days
14-07-2016, 05:27 PM
The Watson silence is deafening. How can you be sure you want to recommit t the club if the leader of it doesn't lead the way?

He's already taken to potting Hibberd on drive time radio too.

bornadog
14-07-2016, 05:28 PM
He's already taken to potting Hibberd on drive time radio too.

I think the Watson, is junior not his dad,

comrade
14-07-2016, 05:36 PM
When Tim Watson starts slagging Essendon players, you know they're gone.

Let's hope Hurley is in his sights soon enough.

Bulldog4life
14-07-2016, 08:55 PM
No, but a grey tinge is coming through since about round 3.

Love it:)

Remi Moses
19-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Sam Maclure on AW reckons Hurley won't be back .
Didn't say where, but is sure he won't be back .
I'd heard some noise that they'd announce he'd re-signed before this weeks game .
Should be intriguing

Remi Moses
19-07-2016, 07:59 PM
I think Hibberd's a good get for the Dees . They badly need a decent user off half back .

bornadog
20-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Hurley News
According to Brian Waldron on Hungry For Sport.
Richmond are into Hurley but the club likely to get him is the Bulldogs.

Western Bulldogs would likely need to trade for Hurley at the end of the year though the possibility of him becoming a Free Agent is still open due to contract breaches during the ASADA Scandal

Where there is smoke

bulldogtragic
20-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Get. It. Done.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2016, 01:09 PM
If our president can mastermind some of the biggest class actions in Australian history, I'm sure he can he argue Hurley out of his contract.

G-Mo77
20-07-2016, 01:16 PM
It might be the case of Hurley wanting his current club compensated so if that's the case then we'll have to work something out. As much as I'd love to take him for free and rub it in the Bombres noses I think we'll have to work out a trade IF he wants to come to us.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-07-2016, 01:55 PM
It might be the case of Hurley wanting his current club compensated so if that's the case then we'll have to work something out. As much as I'd love to take him for free and rub it in the Bombres noses I think we'll have to work out a trade IF he wants to come to us.

Yep, can't see it happening any other way.

Wonder what it'd take?

Bulldog4life
20-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Where there is smoke

He said the same thing last week. I think I posted it.

Remi Moses
20-07-2016, 02:00 PM
They dope him up with God knows what, and he would like them compensated?
Nice bloke

G-Mo77
20-07-2016, 02:26 PM
They dope him up with God knows what, and he would like them compensated?
Nice bloke

It's surprises me that so many have stayed after it all happened.

Happy Days
20-07-2016, 02:30 PM
It's surprises me that so many have stayed after it all happened.

It's not being super well reported by the Essendon-centric media, but the guys that are staying have largely cashed in, wouldn't be picked up elsewhere, or, in the case of Bellchambers, both.