PDA

View Full Version : Jed Adcock - What role will he play?

GVGjr
23-01-2016, 11:06 AM
The Jed Adcock selection as a rookie wasn't greeted with a great deal optimism by a lot of our supporters who felt he was too old at 30 and that he would push a couple of our talented youngsters down the pecking order.
It took me a couple of days to grasp that his selection should be a positive for the club.

Lets look at some of his attributes

- He's a 200 game player that will add a lot to our club especially given we are light on for players that have played more than 100 game.
- He's been a captain of a club and he will be able to provide a lot of leadership to our youngsters.
- He's durable having missed only a couple of games here and there over the last 5 seasons.
- He's very versatile having played a lot as a small defender and a mid but he also kicked 4 goals in a game twice last season.

With the loss of Crameri and with Clay Smith likely to miss a large chunk of the season I think Adcock is a perfect addition for us.

I'd like to get some feedback on your thoughts of Jed Adcock in 2016?

Some other thought starters:

Where do you think he will play for us?
How many senior games will he play?
Will he make an impact for us?

bulldogtragic
23-01-2016, 11:15 AM
I think it was a good signing. Bevo wrapped him up at a function last year. I think he can play multiple roles for the team, which is a big plus. He looked good playing forward late last year, but can play off the HBF to release Murphy if Bevo so wanted to. He's a tough, hard body, a proven AFL quality and a very good leader who obviously spoke up internally about the joke of club Brisbane was. With Stew gone I like we have Adcock. As for games, it's like last year. That is, if he's fit and in form he gets a game. But if a younger player is in better form for the roles Adcock might play then he's back developing and helping players in the VFL. I look forward to seeing what he can do, he obviously has a point to prove to himself, our club and the club that dumped him. I like that aspect because in form he's a good AFL player who is flexible in roles.

jeemak
23-01-2016, 01:07 PM
With any recruit we bring in I ask myself whether that recruit increases the overall talent profile and versatility of our list. In my view, Adcock does.

If we're talking mature age recruits I then think about the less tangible aspects of football outside of on field performance (positive attitudes, leadership experience etc.), and whether there's additional benefits by taking them on. In honesty I can't say I know much about Adcock's attitude as a player, though you don't get to become a vice captain alongside the likes of Luke Power and Simon Black at the age of 22 if you don't possess these qualities. So bringing someone with these qualities into the club can only be a positive.

Like BT, I think he's going to be rewarded for good form and played when list constraints allow him to. I can see him playing a role similar to the role Liam Picken played in 2015. That's of a balanced running midfield flanker that is versatile enough to get back and defend as required, but also be attacking enough to accumulate possessions and keep the footy off the opposition for longer.

With the change to the substitution rule and a restriction on interchanges we'll need his mature body to bolster our running capacity. I think due to these aspects we'll see notable tiring in the likes of Macrae, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus (to an extent), Honeychurch, Stringer, Hrovat, Dale etc. More so than playing a set forward or defencive position, I think Adcock will be part of an extended midfield rotation.

LostDoggy
23-01-2016, 01:13 PM
The value of Adcock is more apparent the nearer we get to the season, especially after losing Crameri. With our mid defenders collectively an older bunch and the forward mids now also an important, experienced man down, Adcock will provide invaluable depth.

His versatility, durability and experience will no doubt count for a lot.

I think he will plug holes forward and back but midfield time will be minimal, with just too many ahead of him.

I reckon he'll play 6-12 games depending on injury/form of others.

I am not as bullish on Adcock as some, we know what his ceiling is and it is concerning that Leppitsch, who would know him as well as anyone, let him go when Adcock clearly wanted to stay and Lions clearly needed all the leaders they could muster, citing that he thought Adcock's best was behind him.

Against that, Bevo rates him and no doubt chances will come his way.

I reckon what you see is what you get with Adcock (a good thing). I hope this doesn't come across overly harsh, but I hope he plays less games rather than more, because it will mean the likes of Webb, Dale, Biggs, Daniel and Maclean will be beating him for spots.

F'scary
23-01-2016, 01:35 PM
I agree with Peanuts, I would rather see more games for our 2014 draftees, they are the longer term future. However, Adders does fill a specific need (experienced, ready-to-play) if player availability is down at some stage of the season.

Ghost Dog
23-01-2016, 02:49 PM
The Adam Goodes recruitment is the model for what we want with Adcock I think. A steadier in the backline.

Gia became the go-to man late in his career and was certainly not a wasted slot on our list. It's hard to weigh the tangibles of a strong leader from the stands, but in training, maybe some of what the young blokes can deliver on field, Adcock will have a hand in during training.

Expect Adcock to make an impact late in the season. He will be keen to prove himself by example when he does come on. Expect a few appearances in the 'Big hits' highlight reel.
He will play predominantly back, as a small defender, and pinch hitting in the midfield.
Expect tackling and decision making to be his strengths.

Rocco Jones
23-01-2016, 09:50 PM
I think with interchange caps, players who can rotate between mid and fwd/def will become increasingly valuable. I primarily see Adcock playing forward, with ability to have his turn in the middle and play down back when needed. I think we are well covered for medium/small defenders with Bob, Boydy, JJ, Biggs, Wood and Morris.

Rocco Jones
23-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Also, I am not a believer in the apparent notion that playing as many kids as possible = best for long term development. I think mature guys like Adcock can help the kids.

jeemak
23-01-2016, 10:02 PM
The value of Adcock is more apparent the nearer we get to the season, especially after losing Crameri. With our mid defenders collectively an older bunch and the forward mids now also an important, experienced man down, Adcock will provide invaluable depth.

His versatility, durability and experience will no doubt count for a lot.

I think he will plug holes forward and back but midfield time will be minimal, with just too many ahead of him.

I reckon he'll play 6-12 games depending on injury/form of others.

I am not as bullish on Adcock as some, we know what his ceiling is and it is concerning that Leppitsch, who would know him as well as anyone, let him go when Adcock clearly wanted to stay and Lions clearly needed all the leaders they could muster, citing that he thought Adcock's best was behind him.

Against that, Bevo rates him and no doubt chances will come his way.

I reckon what you see is what you get with Adcock (a good thing). I hope this doesn't come across overly harsh, but I hope he plays less games rather than more, because it will mean the likes of Webb, Dale, Biggs, Daniel and Maclean will be beating him for spots.

Do you think with modified interchange conditions we can actually have players who plug spots back and forward week to week (assuming you mean as a defender or forward mainly exclusively)?

I'd probably agree with your assessment of his likely role if it wasn't for those changed circumstances.

If I take it a step further, I look at all of Murphy, Suckling, Boyd, Wood, Biggs and JJ taking up the more regular small defender spots, supplementing midfield requirements with one or two stints for each on a wing throughout a game. Then when I look forward, irrespective of losing Crameri I see Dahl, Wallis, Hunter, McLean, Bontempelli, Dale, Stringer, Stevens and Dickson (plus others) all taking forward spots as well, with a lot of them having to rest in those spots due to the midfield time they usually have to play.

Essentially what I'm saying is, I don't think there's going to be holes to plug at each end if we're fit, as there's only going to be one dedicated small forward on our list this year (Dickson) and only a few dedicated backs of Adcock's size (Murphy, Biggs, Suckling and Boyd - Easton plays pretty tall).

stefoid
23-01-2016, 11:18 PM
in case of emergency break glass

Ghost Dog
20-04-2016, 06:24 PM
What kind of role can't he play? Has a killer look in his eyes. Similar to Koby Stevens, tries to inflict pain when going for the mid-riff tackle.

GVGjr
20-04-2016, 07:02 PM
What kind of role can't he play? Has a killer look in his eyes. Similar to Koby Stevens, tries to inflict pain when going for the mid-riff tackle.

He needs a good game and we need him to be a good player for us. I suspect he will play in many positions against the Lions and I wonder if he can help the coaches with his views on how to best match up on his former team mates

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2016, 08:19 PM
I haven't seen the Carlton game but I have a few questions on Adcock:

- Does he find enough of the ball now? He did in years gone by but I sense this has slowed over the last 12 months and in a short sample at AFL level (NAB and last week) I'm not sure this has changed.

- Is he quick enough both by mind and foot? Again, he seems to have slowed from my understanding but I haven't seen enough to make a proper call.

He's certainly flexible and in theory can play a role in each part of the ground and his leadership is unquestioned. Given we've lost Murph and now JJ, the leadership component is important IMO. His skills seems OK but again, I haven't seen enough to make a judgement call.

Agree with GVG that we really need him to be a good player and realistically it's all up to him. He will get plenty of opportunity to press his case.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Plenty to like about his first game. Kicks straight, goes in hard. Maybe an upgrade on a Brett Goodes but a similar role to play.

1eyedog
20-04-2016, 08:38 PM
I haven't seen the Carlton game but I have a few questions on Adcock:

- Does he find enough of the ball now? He did in years gone by but I sense this has slowed over the last 12 months and in a short sample at AFL level (NAB and last week) I'm not sure this has changed.

- Is he quick enough both by mind and foot? Again, he seems to have slowed from my understanding but I haven't seen enough to make a proper call.

He's certainly flexible and in theory can play a role in each part of the ground and his leadership is unquestioned. Given we've lost Murph and now JJ, the leadership component is important IMO. His skills seems OK but again, I haven't seen enough to make a judgement call.

Agree with GVG that we really need him to be a good player and realistically it's all up to him. He will get plenty of opportunity to press his case.

All good points TBB and you echo many of my own. These are my observations over the past few years.

He had a really down year last year and struggled to find the ball and was tried all over the ground prior to being delisted. His ball winning ability, once one of his greatest strengths, is now questionable. I noticed he didn't get a lot of it against the Blues

I don't think he's quick at all, very average Matthew Boyd pace and always has been.

Skills are good, rarely misses a target when he gets it, is and always has been a really nice kick.

He's on a bit of mission to prove he was worth the punt and he's obviously keen to put back into the club.

His strengths are / were his reading of the play, the ability to make good decisions (which can never be underestimated) and his ability to understand his role at any given moment. Never ever shirks the contest and is very neat by foot.

Hoping he can recapture some 2014 form. As you say it's up to him.

lemmon
20-04-2016, 09:11 PM
If we're rating him on his football solely and he's playing as a small forward, I'm not sure he does enough to keep Honeychurch out. He's a better user of the footy and can take a good mark above his head but he doesn't get enough of it to make those attributes count. I'd prefer the manic pressure that Honeychurch brings to the front half. Nice player to have on the list but I think Honeychurch and a fit Hrovat bring more to the role.

Ozza
21-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Has only played one game for us. Will need a couple to get used to playing in our side. If you think of Biggs' first couple of games for us, or even Suckling's first couple, compared to what has come after - it is the norm for players to need a couple of weeks to settle.

I would expect Adcock's best footy for us to come out in a couple of weeks time.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2016, 10:25 AM
If we're rating him on his football solely and he's playing as a small forward, I'm not sure he does enough to keep Honeychurch out. He's a better user of the footy and can take a good mark above his head but he doesn't get enough of it to make those attributes count. I'd prefer the manic pressure that Honeychurch brings to the front half. Nice player to have on the list but I think Honeychurch and a fit Hrovat bring more to the role.

From our stats, we don't seem to have problems finding the ball. But using it in our forward line seems to be an issue.

1eyedog
29-04-2016, 09:28 AM
I've had the blow torch on Jed over the past week. He really needs to show us something tonight - we need him. Whatever role he plays it needs to justify his position. I don't care if he gets 8 possessions and 10 tackles but whatever he's going to do he needs to do it now to repay the faith the club has shown in him.

Big night for him, this is what he was rookied for.

Ozza
29-04-2016, 12:43 PM
I've had the blow torch on Jed over the past week. He really needs to show us something tonight - we need him. Whatever role he plays it needs to justify his position. I don't care if he gets 8 possessions and 10 tackles but whatever he's going to do he needs to do it now to repay the faith the club has shown in him.

In which ways do you think, has he not done his role so far?

There seems to be a few on here asking that Adcock justify his spot

Bulldog4life
29-04-2016, 01:05 PM

I don't think Bevo would play him if he wasn't playing his role.

AndrewP6
29-04-2016, 06:17 PM

He needs to show the selectors, and given it's his third game in a row, he must be doing what they want.

1eyedog
29-04-2016, 06:25 PM

I'm not exactly sure what his role is and it may be being met. His stats across the board are underwhelming but we all know there is more to life than stats. I'd like to see him get more involved and as stated don't mind if it's possessions or tackles but I think he needs to impose himself on the game more.

I don't think Bevo would play him if he wasn't playing his role.

Sure, but I think he's been given some leeway to find his feet. He's certainly not immune to being dropped and I'd question whether he has played his role as much as Bevo would like. He'll be given time to improve but we are a bit light on for options at the moment so he may be given more time than usual. I won't rehash my concerns except to say that I'd like to see more pressure or for him to get a bit more of the ball.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2016, 11:18 PM
I might be being harsh, but his skills aren't great and his numbers aren't huge and I don't see leadership and experience on the ground to the point he did anything to lead by example.

lemmon
29-04-2016, 11:34 PM
There were a few times tonight he stood up around the contest and did some good bullocking work. We've got enough of those types already though

F'scary
29-04-2016, 11:41 PM
V F'n L

F'scary
29-04-2016, 11:43 PM
He's just a hack

Rance Fan
29-04-2016, 11:44 PM
No weapons

G-Mo77
29-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Didn't think anything of his game tonight. The only time I showed any emotion in this game was when he had a wide open Stringer and kicked to Kobe 40M on an angle. Fortunately we got a 50m penalty and got the goal but just dumb from an experienced player.

RAGE!!!!

Mantis
29-04-2016, 11:51 PM
He's just a hack

What sort of comment is that?

F'scary
29-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Terrible decision to even give him one game.

boydogs
30-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Didn't think anything of his game tonight. The only time I showed any emotion in this game was when he had a wide open Stringer and kicked to Kobe 40M on an angle. Fortunately we got a 50m penalty and got the goal but just dumb from an experienced player.

RAGE!!!!

I thought he made the right call there. Stringer would have had an opponent by the time the ball got to him (even though a kick to advantage might have been enough), whereas Kobe was able to take the mark.

If passing it off to a mark inside 50 is the worst thing he did he must have been OK. He didn't show any real weapons and didn't get involved much but he was solid

G-Mo77
30-04-2016, 12:41 AM
I thought he made the right call there. Stringer would have had an opponent by the time the ball got to him (even though a kick to advantage might have been enough), whereas Kobe was able to take the mark.

If passing it off to a mark inside 50 is the worst thing he did he must have been OK. He didn't show any real weapons and didn't get involved much but he was solid

It's the only thing I noticed him do. I wouldn't call his game a pass mark at all.

AndrewP6
30-04-2016, 12:48 AM
He's just a hack

A hack doesn't play 200+ games and captain a side.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2016, 01:00 AM
I actually thought he made a few good contributions tonight. He went hard at the contest and flew the flag for our team - there were worse players out there.

The Doctor
30-04-2016, 01:03 AM
I think Adcock is a victim of playing generally in a poor side for most of his career and mostly poorly coached. This is the opposite to Matt Suckling, a player of comparable ability, but conditioned to far greater coaching and application who has been able to transition into a good side with immediate effect. Therefore when placed in a good side, like us, Adcock gets exposed. But that doesn't mean he can't play at the level. I guess we shall see, but a player with his experience and leadership quality should eventually adjust to the tempo.

After all it only cost us a low level rookie pick, what else would you expect?

soupman
30-04-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm not against his spot on the list, but I think thus far he has been underwhelming and tonight he had very little impact. Unless he is playing a specific defensive role he isn't getting the ball or using it well enough to justify his selection for mine. Ok as depth, but I would be inclined to drop him.

Remi Moses
30-04-2016, 01:55 AM
He was decent last week, and yes he's a depth player.
Gee there is some overreaction knee jerk stuff on here tonight .

lemmon
30-04-2016, 02:45 AM
I actually thought he made a few good contributions tonight. He went hard at the contest and flew the flag for our team - there were worse players out there.

I agree he did some good things but with Murphy, JJ, Suckling, Daniel and Hrovat all out of the side, and Kobe, Wallis, Libba, Dahl, Picken, Jong etc etc all in it, do we really need another hard nut who doesn't offer much on the outside? We're winning the contested footy every week and did so again tonight, the problem was the lack of polish and creativity.

I'd have preferred to play a Declan Hamilton, Bailey Williams or Brad Lynch on the wing/half back in the hope they'd bring a bit of creativity and dash, I'm pretty confident in us winning the contested footy again next week - the problem at the moment is capitalising on it.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2016, 04:46 AM
Very similar role and player to Brett Goodes. Stop gap.

F'scary
30-04-2016, 08:39 AM
What sort of comment is that?

What do you mean by that?

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 08:41 AM
I agree he did some good things but with Murphy, JJ, Suckling, Daniel and Hrovat all out of the side, and Kobe, Wallis, Libba, Dahl, Picken, Jong etc etc all in it, do we really need another hard nut who doesn't offer much on the outside? We're winning the contested footy every week and did so again tonight, the problem was the lack of polish and creativity.

I'd have preferred to play a Declan Hamilton, Bailey Williams or Brad Lynch on the wing/half back in the hope they'd bring a bit of creativity and dash, I'm pretty confident in us winning the contested footy again next week - the problem at the moment is capitalising on it.

Hes an out for me, we need a skill upgrade

F'scary
30-04-2016, 08:42 AM
A hack doesn't play 200+ games and captain a side.

He played like a hack last night and so far this season I have seen nothing more.

GVGjr
30-04-2016, 08:47 AM
I think he might struggle to hold his spot simply because he isn't getting enough of the ball. I'm not sure if we are playing out of position but he needs to be a bit better than what he has shown so far. I don't agree with some of the comments made about him after last nights game but he does need to do better.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 09:20 AM

I'm really interested to hear who the worse players were. You mean Bailey Dale, a 19 year old with a dozen games to his name?

I think Adcock is a victim of playing generally in a poor side for most of his career and mostly poorly coached. This is the opposite to Matt Suckling, a player of comparable ability, but conditioned to far greater coaching and application who has been able to transition into a good side with immediate effect. Therefore when placed in a good side, like us, Adcock gets exposed. But that doesn't mean he can't play at the level. I guess we shall see, but a player with his experience and leadership quality should eventually adjust to the tempo.

After all it only cost us a low level rookie pick, what else would you expect?

Agree with all of this and so far this year he's justified the Lions decision to axe him.

He was decent last week, and yes he's a depth player.
Gee there is some overreaction knee jerk stuff on here tonight .

Were you happy with his 9 possession game? Do you want him in the team next week over say a Honeychurch?

AndrewP6
30-04-2016, 09:57 AM
He played like a hack last night.
Agree with this part, he needs to be better than last night.

Go_Dogs
30-04-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm really interested to hear who the worse players were. You mean Bailey Dale, a 19 year old with a dozen games to his name?

Perhaps it was too broad a statement, but I'd be putting Roughead and Roberts, along with Dale, in the same category. If we're saying we should expect better output from a 200 game player in his 3rd game for the club, then I'm going to say Stringer fits the bill for as another whose performance was considerably below where it needed to be on the night.

I wasn't advocating he was a strong performer, or indeed, deserves to hold his spot - but he wasn't alone and it's far too early to suggest he's not going to amount to anything for us.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2016, 11:29 AM
It was a mistake not picking HC. We floundered around in the phone box a fair bit.
Jed, there is another phone box down the corner. Yes, the one with 'VFL' written on it. Go stand in there for a while. Off you go.....see ya.

The stats will show we won a decent amount of clearances I guess, and you can blame our forwards, but would be great to have a few mids kicking goals to help out.

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Do you think he's earned his spot next week Ozza?

bornadog
30-04-2016, 12:48 PM
It is no secret I wasn't a fan of picking up Adcock, yes he was cheap and a rookie at that. I would prefer our rookie list be filled with young players, or ones that have developed late and have potential. I understand why he was picked up (backup) but I also see that Brisbane got rid of a club captain with lots of experience that on face value could be mentoring their young team. Surely one has to ask why was he delisted.

I hope he can contribute on the field, but so far in three games, I haven't seen any value add.

hujsh
30-04-2016, 05:08 PM
If he's not prviding run or skillful ball use off half back (where our experience has been lost) then I don't see why he should be in the team. I'll take Webb ahead of him but it seems like there's a plan to focus on his inside game at VFL for a while

ratsmac
30-04-2016, 08:53 PM

RAGE!!!!

I was screaming the same thing at the game last night! Stringer was the right option. Stevens was flattened and was I split second from being spoiled.

If he's not prviding run or skillful ball use off half back (where our experience has been lost) then I don't see why he should be in the team. I'll take Webb ahead of him but it seems like there's a plan to focus on his inside game at VFL for a while

Spot on!

jeemak
01-05-2016, 01:34 PM
I was screaming the same thing at the game last night! Stringer was the right option. Stevens was flattened and was I split second from being spoiled.

Spot on!

I thought he chose the right option in that instance.

The defender was perfectly placed to get back and spoil the high ball to Stringer, that he managed to almost get to Stevens was testament to how well he was playing to percentages and guarding the space.

Ozza
02-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Do you think he's earned his spot next week Ozza?

Probably not based on Friday night. I'd probably omit him, Jong and Dale this week.

Thought his first game was 'just', second game quite good and thought he would improve again - but couldn't seem to get involved on Friday night.

Mofra
02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Were you happy with his 9 possession game? Do you want him in the team next week over say a Honeychurch?
For all of Honey's limitations, he does have at least one elite trait - defensive pressure.
Honey must be close to getting a game this week.
I was pro-Adcock on the rookie list but he hasn't been performing to expectations.

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
For all of Honey's limitations, he does have at least one elite trait - defensive pressure.
Honey must be close to getting a game this week.
I was pro-Adcock on the rookie list but he hasn't been performing to expectations.

I was too as he was a solid player up there and I thought a change of environment may be good for him. He hasn't performed in any preseason or premiership season game he's played for us so far so he needs to go back to the VFL and earn back his spot.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Bump. As per the rolling thread, Adcock is retiring. I'm not so sure it's worked from an AFL level, but by all reports was good for the VFL group and on the training track for setting standards for the kids. All the best to him.

Remi Moses
24-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Not a surprise, and played his role as a depth player.
Good luck to Jed

Smads57
24-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Agree that he was important for the VFL team playing mainly in the midfield. Certainly was hard around the ball in his role this year. Best of luck for the future Jed.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I see Jed is looking to get into coaching. I wonder whether the doggies might use him as an assistant at Footscray to start with.Maybe even as a playing assistant coach. He has got great character and a good footy brain and I would like to retain him if possible.

bornadog
25-08-2016, 01:27 PM
I see Jed is looking to get into coaching. I wonder whether the doggies might use him as an assistant at Footscray to start with.Maybe even as a playing assistant coach. He has got great character and a good footy brain and I would like to retain him if possible.

How do you know this?

My concern is Brisbane never wanted him and there were reasons for that. He should have been ideal to stay on and teach the younger guys.

azabob
25-08-2016, 01:38 PM
How do you know this?

My concern is Brisbane never wanted him and there were reasons for that. He should have been ideal to stay on and teach the younger guys.

Understand your point, but using Brisbane off fiield / administration as an example of why we shouldn't do something is probably not a great comparison!

bornadog
25-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Understand your point, but using Brisbane off field / administration as an example of why we shouldn't do something is probably not a great comparison!

Fair enough.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2016, 02:05 PM
How do you know this?

He was captain of a AFL side and Luke Beveridge said he did. That is enough for me.

Rocket Science
25-08-2016, 02:15 PM
...at our current rate of injuries, probably starting in the guts in our first final.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2016, 02:15 PM
He was captain of a AFL side and Luke Beveridge said he did. That is enough for me.

Adcock was against they way Leppa was running the joint and lack of professionalism by certain 'star' kids. He's been proven right on all counts. Bevo had him live with his family for a month or so, I don't think he does that for all people or players like Laurie Angwin.

bornadog
17-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Returning to the Lions as a coach.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Returning to the Lions as a coach.

So Rockliff is gone then.

GVGjr
17-10-2016, 01:29 PM
So Rockliff is gone then.

Can you elaborate on this?

bulldogtragic
17-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Can you elaborate on this?

My understanding is Adcock & Rockliff were very, very much at odds with each other about the club direction, coach and more (former captain, current captain angst too) which led to a fracture through the playing group and to keep the peace with the Rockliff, Hanley faction that's why Adcock was delisted, despite good late season form and being in their best 22. Interestingly, Bevo loved him from the first meeting and was surprised he was delisted such was his late season form, but especially his character to add value to an emerging young side. I heard Bevo talk about his leadership, resolve and desire to drive standards in all times, especially hard times, and was so taken he put Adcock up in his home until he was rookie drafted.

Rockliff this year allegedly did a 180 from his stance on Leppa, but from what I understand, there's possibly too much old bad blood to work through. Or maybe, Rockliff has grown up and can sit down with Adcock and put it behind them. They're still shopping Rockliff so my guess is they want him gone.

ledge
18-10-2016, 01:18 PM
I think Adcock would make a good choice in a coaching capacity , seems a committed professional, knowledgable and respected person , at one stage I thought I heard stories we would be using him as a development type coach , maybe at the VFL team.
Seems a loyal person and wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to us in some role in the future , we welcomed him into the club gave him a season and he was involved in both premierships for us , so he would have developed a good liking to us.