PDA

View Full Version : Cam McCarthy goes home

Mofra
29-01-2016, 01:44 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-29/homesick-cam-mccarthy-granted-indefinite-leave-by-the-giants

GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family.

The Giants have accepted it is in his best interests to take a break from the game although AFL.com.au understands they plan to keep him on the list.

They will also continue to support him throughout the process with Giants CEO Dave Matthews saying the decision to grant the player indefinite leave was made after careful consideration.

"Cam has most recently been struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands of being an AFL footballer and as a result we have agreed that the best course of action is for him to step away from the game," Matthews said.

"Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family. This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework.

"Despite initially making strong progress after returning from the Christmas break it has been apparent that Cam cannot currently meet the demands of being an AFL footballer.

"We will obviously continue to support Cam during this time and assist him in every way possible. His welfare is our priority. We ask that Cam's privacy be respected at this time."

McCarthy sought a trade to Fremantle during last year's trade period but the Giants refused to let him go as he had two years remaining on his contract.

Nice work GWS - will get SFA for him at the end of the year now

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 02:12 PM
AFL Footy isn't for every one. Hopefully some time away will assist.

bornadog
29-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Last year he kept saying he was homesick, which I didn't buy. Seems the real reason is just what GVGjr says.

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Last year he kept saying he was homesick, which I didn't buy. Seems the real reason is just what GVGjr says.

If a Victoria lad wants to go home under the guise of being homesick then they shouldn't be requesting to be traded to just one Victorian club. Give the club you are wanting to leave the best chance to make it happen.
If a lad wants to return to the west then he also shouldn't limit himself to just one side like McCartney did.

I get that Footy isn't the 'be all' for every player and McCartney should take as long as he needs to work out whats important to him.

Testekill
29-01-2016, 03:33 PM
I really think that people are a little harsh with Cam McCarthy when they keep on bringing up the contract extension that he signed when he was 18, hadn't been at the Giants for even half a year and hadn't debuted yet.

I can't help but feel that there was some coercion when it came to that contract as the Giants badly needed PR since there were a ton of rumors of players seeing out their initial contracts then requesting a trade.

edit: I'm also not discounting the possibility that he might be suffering from depression, he had a ton of eyes on him this year and he might want to become just another person in WA.

LostDoggy
29-01-2016, 03:41 PM
From memory Freo offered 2 high draft picks for McCarthy, but GWS dug their heels in on principal. That's looking a costly decision now.

Whilst clubs need to preserve their right to enforce contracts, trying to force unhappy players to stay rarely works out in the long run - hard to see how trading him for 2 highly rated youngsters who want to be there was a bad deal.

Testekill
29-01-2016, 03:44 PM
From memory Freo offered 2 high draft picks for McCarthy, but GWS dug their heels in on principal. That's looking a costly decision now.

Whilst clubs need to preserve their right to enforce contracts, trying to force unhappy players to stay rarely works out in the long run - hard to see how trading him for 2 highly rated youngsters who want to be there was a bad deal.

Not to mention that shit like this has to kill player morale. They used McCarthy as an example and it's goign to backfire horribly.

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 03:54 PM

I think it was the right decision by GWS and from memory Freo initially offered a 1st and 2nd round pick but GWS wanted 2 in the first round.
Freo quickly traded one of their picks for Bennell and basically ruled themselves out of the race unless GWS just let him go for one pick.
To me there was more than enough reasons for GWS to hold their ground with the trade request and they even put in a program to support him getting home a bit more frequently.

It will be interesting to see what decision he makes

LostDoggy
29-01-2016, 04:06 PM
I think it was the right decision by GWS and from memory Freo initially offered a 1st and 2nd round pick but GWS wanted 2 in the first round.
Freo quickly traded one of their picks for Bennell and basically ruled themselves out of the race unless GWS just let him go for one pick.
To me there was more than enough reasons for GWS to hold their ground with the trade request and they even put in a program to support him getting home a bit more frequently.

It will be interesting to see what decision he makes

I get what you're saying, but the deal could only ever be justifiably knocked back if Sunny turned around and gave reasonable service to GWS. If a valuable player really doesn't want to be there, I'd reckon a club only loses by trying to force him to stay.

From memory, Freo were still prepared to give this year's 2nd pick (ended up being Darcy Tucker) and next year's first. That's a lot to knock back for a player who is only stinking up the club's vibe.

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 04:21 PM
I get what you're saying, but the deal could only ever be justifiably knocked back if Sunny turned around and gave reasonable service to GWS. If a valuable player really doesn't want to be there, I'd reckon a club only loses by trying to force him to stay.

From memory, Freo were still prepared to give this year's 2nd pick (ended up being Darcy Tucker) and next year's first. That's a lot to knock back for a player who is only stinking up the club's vibe.

It can also work the other way, Gilbee wanted to go and when Eade arrived at the club he said he was a required player and would only trade him if a club was prepared to pay overs. Thankfully no club did.

McCartney only want to go to Freo ruling West Coast out of the mix.

McCartney made his trade request once he returned home catching GWS by surprise and they had every right to question his true motives when they became aware that Freo were offering bigger dollars than his revised deal at GWS.

I understand the point you are making but I think GWS made the right call at the time. They might lose out on it but there are just too many players in the AFL breaking contracts under the guise of being home sick but demanding one club specific destinations.

LostDoggy
29-01-2016, 04:27 PM
It can also work the other way, Gilbee wanted to go and when Eade arrived at the club he said he was a required player and would only trade him if a club was prepared to pay overs. Thankfully no club did.

McCartney only want to go to Freo ruling West Coast out of the mix.

McCartney made his trade request once he returned home catching GWS by surprise and they had every right to question his true motives when they became aware that Freo were offering bigger dollars than his revised deal at GWS.

I understand the point you are making but I think GWS made the right call at the time. They might lose out on it but there are just too many players in the AFL breaking contracts under the guise of being home sick but demanding one club specific destinations.

Fair enough. I do get GWS' need to make a stand given they'd already lost a stack of young talent. Sucks for them that it appears to have blown up in their face, but it's easy to be critical with the benefit of hindsight.

bornadog
29-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Fair enough. I do get GWS' need to make a stand given they'd already lost a stack of young talent. Sucks for them that it appears to have blown up in their face, but it's easy to be critical with the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe GWS figured they would take the hit on this one and others may not try the same trick.

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Maybe GWS figured they would take the hit on this one and others may not try the same trick.

But they also put in a plan to get McCartney home more frequently. The point I'm making is that it just wasn't a hard and fast stance by a belligerent club, GWS did acknowledge his request and put in place some steps to assist him.
I think GWS can look into the mirror here and say they did what was more than reasonable.

If he doesn't have it in him to commit to the club or life as an AFL player they might even have done him a favour.
He could quickly change his mind and want back into the club as well.

LostDoggy
29-01-2016, 04:55 PM
That's right. It's a more nuanced discussion than saying GWS were right or wrong. They seemingly made the calls they made under the belief that McCarthy's needs were manageable and that he could ultimately make a significant contribution to the club.

At this stage, with the benefit of hindsight, to me that call is not looking a good one, however it's not too late for him to change his mind again.

LostDoggy
29-01-2016, 05:39 PM
GWS have brought this on themselves by recruiting such a massive amount of kids. Draft picks and their hefty salary cap should've been used to lure talent from other clubs.

Both Gold Coast and GWS went with the lets just stock up on kids and create a dynasty in 5-6 years time. Little did they know they would turn into a day-care centre whilst other clubs pounce when they are ready to blossom.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Personally, I just feel for the kid. And he's a kid. He's obviously struggling with something and that should be the end of it. Naval gazing at what Cam or GWS did or didn't do in a critical sense is just irrelevant and borderline insensitive. First and foremost he's a human struggling with something big enough to stop him from doing his dream job. Creating and/or apportioning blame is a futile act in this instance as it was with Mitch Clark requesting a trade. I hope the kid bounces back and reaches his potential, because he's got a heap of it.

GVGjr
29-01-2016, 05:58 PM
He is like any other person who needs to handle the challenges life presents. He has been given time to address whatever challenge he has. I wish him well but on face value homesickness isn't a massive problem when you are at home.

F'scary
29-01-2016, 07:52 PM
McCarthy must be really homesick, he has just walked away from a number preceded by $ sign and followed by 5 zeros.

Twodogs
29-01-2016, 07:55 PM
I genuinely hope all their players have reason to head home soon.

GWS can pack up and bugger off as far as I am concerned. A complete waste of time and money.

ledge
29-01-2016, 08:50 PM
I don't get homesickness .. It's only 3 years and can set you up for life. At 21 you could own a house, let the contract run out and let your manager sort out a deal in your last year to go to what state you want.
It's not like its forever 3 years is not much.

Greystache
29-01-2016, 09:39 PM
He is like any other person who needs to handle the challenges life presents. He has been given time to address whatever challenge he has. I wish him well but on face value homesickness isn't a massive problem when you are at home.

I imagine he'll expect to be paid while not training or playing as well.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't get homesickness .. It's only 3 years and can set you up for life. At 21 you could own a house, let the contract run out and let your manager sort out a deal in your last year to go to what state you want.
It's not like its forever 3 years is not much.

I don't get it either, but I think that's the point, we don't understand it. I still remember two seperate cases, one my uncle and another a former brother in law. They both saved mega bucks to have the ultimate holidays one in America 20 years ago, the other Europe about 10 years ago and both for about a month or so. They both came home after about less than half the trip, despite everything being non refundable and doing the stuff they'd been dreaming of for a long, long time. They couldn't really explain the emotions or why the impulse and frantic need to get home was going against money sense, life experience sense etc, suffice to say it was causing real mental harm they were trying to stop, but could only really describe it as home sickness.

I can only guess there's something upsetting his balance and well being as that's what the media are reporting. There's so many logical reasons put up in the thread, but sometimes apparent reasoning is not enough if you're unwell.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2016, 09:45 PM
I imagine he'll expect to be paid while not training or playing as well.

Is he entitled to sick leave and/or annual leave until it is used up? Serious question as I assume footballers are entitled to it, but I've no idea.

westdog54
29-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Is he entitled to sick leave and/or annual leave until it is used up? Serious question as I assume footballers are entitled to it, but I've no idea.

Having never read an AFL player's contract I have absolutely no idea but one would assume that once any annual leave entitlements were used up any further leave would be without pay.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Having never read an AFL player's contract I have absolutely no idea but one would assume that once any annual leave entitlements were used up any further leave would be without pay.

Or discretionary. Larger EBAs like police, fire and ambos allow for discretionary additional sick leave. Without reading the AFLPAs EBA I'd guess that might be in there. Mind you if I was GWS, I'd probably extend it if I thought there was a chance the compassion might be repaid in kind.

Greystache
29-01-2016, 10:27 PM

Given they've just come back from 8 weeks leave I don't see how he could have any available. As for sick leave, assuming they're generous, he would get perhaps 2 weeks paid until that ran out.

I'm wondering if he just expects to be paid regardless of whether he lives up to his end of his contract, following which he'll just walk to the club of his choice for more money again? Seems like a lot of these young players feel like they're owed a living regardless of what they give back.

Twodogs
29-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Work over payments maybe! It's his employment far from home that has caused his acute Homesickness necessitating his return to WA and his inability to continue his employment.

bulldogtragic
29-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Work over payments maybe! It's his employment far from home that has caused his acute Homesickness necessitating his return to WA and his inability to continue his employment.

I was actually going to say that but I don't know much of the NSW system and didn't want to pour petrol on the thread. But he could do a lot worse than pay an expert personal injury lawyer to submit a work cover claim and see how he goes.

1eyedog
30-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Sunshine will be playing for a W.A team next year no two ways about it. Whether and for how long he plays at GWS this season is anyone's guess.

jeemak
30-01-2016, 01:23 AM
It was a point lamented by AFL House. The early draft picks were supposed to be balanced between trades and drafting, but they were weighted towards the latter.

I still don't get how AFL clubs set up and controlled by the AFL could ride rough shod over that process and leave the expansion teams in such a mess.

But that's the AFL I guess. Small town and hick thinking is how they role.

GVGjr
30-01-2016, 01:54 AM

I don't think homesickness would qualify as sick leave but I would imagine the club will continue to pay him for a period of time as it's the decent thing to do. Perhaps after 2 months and if they get the vibe he is unlikely to return they might have a rethink.

bulldogtragic
30-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't think homesickness would qualify as sick leave but I would imagine the club will continue to pay him for a period of time as it's the decent thing to do. Perhaps after 2 months and if they get the vibe he is unlikely to return they might have a rethink.

Home sickness is actually a form of diagnosable mental illness:

"Whereas separation anxiety disorder is characterized by "inappropriate and excessive fear or anxiety concerning separation from those to whom the individual is attached" [16] symptoms of homesickness are most prominent after a separation and include both depression and anxiety. In DSM terms, homesickness may be related to Separation Anxiety Disorder, but it is perhaps best categorized as either an Adjustment Disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (309.28) or, for immigrants and foreign students as a V62.4, Acculturation Difficulty. As noted above, researchers use the following definition: "Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects." Recent pathogenic models support the possibility that homesickness reflects both insecure attachment and a variety of emotional and cognitive vulnerabilities, such as little previous experience away from home and negative attitudes about the novel environment."

Having found and read this, he could comfortably qualify for Workcover for the duration of his contract or until traded.

GVGjr
30-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Home sickness is actually a form of diagnosable mental illness:

"Whereas separation anxiety disorder is characterized by "inappropriate and excessive fear or anxiety concerning separation from those to whom the individual is attached" [16] symptoms of homesickness are most prominent after a separation and include both depression and anxiety. In DSM terms, homesickness may be related to Separation Anxiety Disorder, but it is perhaps best categorized as either an Adjustment Disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (309.28) or, for immigrants and foreign students as a V62.4, Acculturation Difficulty. As noted above, researchers use the following definition: "Homesickness is the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects." Recent pathogenic models support the possibility that homesickness reflects both insecure attachment and a variety of emotional and cognitive vulnerabilities, such as little previous experience away from home and negative attitudes about the novel environment."

Having found and read this, he could comfortably qualify for Workcover for the duration of his contract or until traded.

Can you still be homesick if you are actually at home over a long period? Either way if he deserves to be paid then so be it. The club won't do the wrong thing by him.

ratsmac
30-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Poor kid. I thought last year when he requested a trade he was just trying to force GWS hand to trade him. Well as it turns out he was really homesick. I wish him well.

Is it wrong for me to be happy that this happened to the Shite stain of a pretend club?

bulldogtragic
30-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Can you still be homesick if you are actually at home over a long period? Either way if he deserves to be paid then so be it. The club won't do the wrong thing by him.

You'd have to ask a psychiatrist, but my guess would be yes. Reading the above the diagnosable mental illness has a component about negative attitudes about the (GWS) environment. So he's away from stimulus or trigger to his illness, but a return to the GWS would take him back to square one. When you hear Tom Boyd and other top players who wanted out, under contract or not, they cite the plastic culture, the fish bowl their in and separation from family. Obviously our Tom Boyd had a heap of money on the table, but he and his manager mainly cited being away from family and that he'd leave no matter what the next year. We didn't question it as footy fans. I think this is more of an indictment on GWS culture and environment that kids are cueing up to leave. Compare their set up of having the kids live in a collective in a shit hole, compared to our club where as soon as our draftees were picked they had a spot in share houses with suitable mentors and Jed Adcock was actually living with Bevo for a month. The reason I contrast it is because the medical diagnosis is about a perceived negative environment which dozens of former GWS players have cited, and some quit AFL all together didn't they? It sounds like a low security prison, living in a cluster on top of each other, not liking the suburb, meals made for you, blokes escaping and the joint is run by boarder line incompetent muppets. Perhaps the focus should be on how their kids are surviving up there. Tom Boyd has said as much as Cam did and broke his contract, but Tom's not singled out and the only difference is GWS let Tom go and didn't let Cam go. I'm giving Cam a pass, but not GWS as its a serious long term pattern of unhappy kids cueing up to leave and my assumption is they're not doing enough. The AFL and AFLPA should be making this a priority if they intend to support GWS long term.

GVGjr
30-01-2016, 11:27 AM
While there is an obvious link between the two I think there are significant differences between McCartney and Boyd looking to depart GWS:

- Tom would have served out his contract with GWS. Had Griffen not decided to leave us I believe Tom would have remained at GWS for another year.
- Tom didn't sign an extension like McCartney did in fact he was clear that he wasn't interested in doing so and as a result GWS knew they had a challenge to keep him. In the end an offer of a top flight player and an early draft pick got the deal done with GWS.
- Freo didn't quite stump up what GWS might have considered like we did. Had they gone harder, that deal could have got done.

Perhaps a better comparison to consider would be Griffen departing us and McCartney looking to depart GWS.
There might not be a diagnosable name that can be labeled as a reason for Griffen's sudden departure but he sort of demanded to go to GWS (one specific club) and there was an implied threat that he could very well stand out of football if a trade wasn't made. Clearly he wasn't coping with the demands of being an AFL player and a captain of a struggling club.
Griffen was publicly seen as weak and a traitor and was lambasted by the majority of our fans. No allowance was made for whatever condition had him demanding a trade and some can't even bring themselves to say or spell his name correctly.
McCartney made a late season demand to go to one specific club back home and the parties couldn't meet with a suitable deal so it didn't get done. GWS even put in a program to help him get home more frequently this year and they will no doubt support him while he is back home now.

For what it's worth I think the Griffen and McCartney comparison is a bit closer to the mark than Boyd/McCartney one.
Griffen and McCartney weren't coping with the demands of being an AFL player and both of them were looking for an out. I really hope McCartney gets better.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure what the answer is here, but if you're a player manager, you better make sure your client understands the ramifications of extending a contract (and your instructions are in writing!).

A young person making a decision and regretting it is not something new. If Cam needs some help, hopefully he's getting it.

soupman
30-01-2016, 12:19 PM
GVGjr I like your posts but his name is McCarthy not McCartney.

As you were:)

bulldogtragic
30-01-2016, 12:42 PM
While there is an obvious link between the two I think there are significant differences between McCartney and Boyd looking to depart GWS:

- Tom would have served out his contract with GWS. Had Griffen not decided to leave us I believe Tom would have remained at GWS for another year.
- Tom didn't sign an extension like McCartney did in fact he was clear that he wasn't interested in doing so and as a result GWS knew they had a challenge to keep him. In the end an offer of a top flight player and an early draft pick got the deal done with GWS.
- Freo didn't quite stump up what GWS might have considered like we did. Had they gone harder, that deal could have got done.

Perhaps a better comparison to consider would be Griffen departing us and McCartney looking to depart GWS.
There might not be a diagnosable name that can be labeled as a reason for Griffen's sudden departure but he sort of demanded to go to GWS (one specific club) and there was an implied threat that he could very well stand out of football if a trade wasn't made. Clearly he wasn't coping with the demands of being an AFL player and a captain of a struggling club.
Griffen was publicly seen as weak and a traitor and was lambasted by the majority of our fans. No allowance was made for whatever condition had him demanding a trade and some can't even bring themselves to say or spell his name correctly.
McCartney made a late season demand to go to one specific club back home and the parties couldn't meet with a suitable deal so it didn't get done. GWS even put in a program to help him get home more frequently this year and they will no doubt support him while he is back home now.

For what it's worth I think the Griffen and McCartney comparison is a bit closer to the mark than Boyd/McCartney one.
Griffen and McCartney weren't coping with the demands of being an AFL player and both of them were looking for an out. I really hope McCartney gets better.

Both were in a garbage environment which is the issue, but Tom and Cam are more close than that as Cam is still serving his contract. He hasn't broken it, he's requested compassionate leave to deal with a complex problem. Also, Peter Gordon sacked Macca, let his assists leave without a fight, let the CEO go, oversaw Cooney and Higgins leaving and picked a new fresh coach, exemplary new CEO and went about changing our club from toxic as hell to a positive, progressive and great environment to deliver excellence. GWS guns have been cueing to the state boarder to leave be it Boyd or McCarthy, Treloar etc. This is the issue.

I don't see it as a McCarthy issue, but a welfare issue at a club that is seeing kids quit footy all together let alone the rush to get of there. The contract extension is irrelevant. If he thought when signing it he could remain in the asylum for the period then that's why he signed it. He believed he really could. Having life and head space changes is not a fault of his. Someone may sign up to the military for 3 years and then after a year request out because of facing mental illness challenges. The military might not discharge them, but they'll be serving their contract away from the frontline. A contract extension and then mental illness later down the track just isn't relevant, if he thought this would happen he wouldn't have signed it. Ergo, why I don't blame him. But why is this happening in epidemic proportions at GWS? This to me is the real question because if it doesn't get addressed immediately, then the cue will line up in again and again and the kids drafted to that club deserve better.

Twodogs
30-01-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure what the answer is here, but if you're a player manager, you better make sure your client understands the ramifications of extending a contract (and your instructions are in writing!).

A young person making a decision and regretting it is not something new. If Cam needs some help, hopefully he's getting it.

This. I often wonder when I hear tgat so and so 18 yo has signed an extension to his contract how much he understands/wants/drives that extension and how much his management and club got together and decided it was "in everybody's best interests" they announced their top draft pick from lasts year has signed an extension with the club.

Sure he gets more money/tenure and getting that is the managers first duty to his client ticked off. The club that was embarrassed the year before locks a young talent away but did anyone ask McCarthy what he really wanted?

Testekill
30-01-2016, 07:33 PM
There's actually a discussion on reddit about this. Yes, pinch of salt when people say that they know someone but he had apparently been seeing a counsellor last year and comes across more than willing to just give up his AFL career just to return home which certainly doesn't sound like someone chasing a contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/4369ez/gws_forward_cameron_mccarthy_granted_indefinite/ (https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/4369ez/gws_forward_cameron_mccarthy_granted_indefinite/)

If he had been seeing their counsellor last year and they still refused to trade him then GWS get everything that comes to them.

Twodogs
30-01-2016, 09:41 PM
There's actually a discussion on reddit about this. Yes, pinch of salt when people say that they know someone but he had apparently been seeing a counsellor last year and comes across more than willing to just give up his AFL career just to return home which certainly doesn't sound like someone chasing a contract.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/4369ez/gws_forward_cameron_mccarthy_granted_indefinite/ (https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/4369ez/gws_forward_cameron_mccarthy_granted_indefinite/)

If he had been seeing their counsellor last year and they still refused to trade him then GWS get everything that comes to them.

There are some interesting views expressed there. It would be great to live in the binary world some of those posters live in where there are no shades of grey.

Dry Rot
30-01-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm on McCarthy's side.

Listening to hours and hours of Ryan Griffen's pig hunting stories would send anyone bonkers and want to go home.

Greystache
30-01-2016, 11:16 PM
There are some interesting views expressed there. It would be great to live in the binary world some of those posters live in where there are no shades of grey.

There's some pretty high brow thinking in that group.

It seems being homesick for a move back to Perth meant going to Fremantle only. Its a pity there isn't another club there that he could've considered when it looked like the deal wasn't going to get done, especially seeing how desperate he reportedly was.

Greystache
30-01-2016, 11:19 PM
This is probably just coincidental

http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2015/09/171561_310ea59de8c8d7550f27489cffb26d95.jpg

Dry Rot
30-01-2016, 11:20 PM
There's some pretty high brow thinking in that group.

It seems being homesick for a move back to Perth meant going to Fremantle only. Its a pity there isn't another club there that he could've considered when it looked like the deal wasn't going to get done, especially seeing how desperate he reportedly was.

Maybe WCE didn't want/need him?

I'm very lucky to have every Giants game live on Sydney FTA, and while I don't watch every one, what I've seen of McCarthy doesn't really thrill me to bits.

Greystache
30-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Maybe WCE didn't want/need him?

I'm very lucky to have every Giants game live on Sydney FTA, and while I don't watch every one, what I've seen of McCarthy doesn't really thrill me to bits.

Possibly, but when you declare you'll only go to one team in a two team city because you're desperately homesick then doubts arise. Even more so when it's the team you supported as a kid.

Dry Rot
30-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Possibly, but when you declare you'll only go to one team in a two town city because you're desperately homesick then doubts arise.

Yeah, fair enough.

Then there are turds like Mitch Clarke and Tippett who declared their homesickness, and on the cusp of returning to a club in their home city, suddenly jumped at a bigger offer elsewhere.

Maddog37
31-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Hopefully he plays again. Hopefully it is anywhere but Freo.

Bulldog4life
01-02-2016, 03:47 PM
If a Victoria lad wants to go home under the guise of being homesick then they shouldn't be requesting to be traded to just one Victorian club. Give the club you are wanting to leave the best chance to make it happen.
If a lad wants to return to the west then he also shouldn't limit himself to just one side like McCartney did.

I get that Footy isn't the 'be all' for every player and McCartney should take as long as he needs to work out whats important to him.

Dangerfield did GVG.

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Treloar?

bulldogtragic
01-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Tom Boyd?

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Figjam Buckley?

GVGjr
01-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Dangerfield did GVG.

For less money than he could have gotten elsewhere and after a significant level of service at the Crows.
I think there is a bit of a difference.

Bulldog4life
01-02-2016, 04:03 PM
For less money than he could have gotten elsewhere and after a significant level of service at the Crows.
I think there is a bit of a difference.

Agree about the level of service to The Crows. But he still limited himself to going to one team only. That was more my point.

GVGjr
01-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Tom Boyd?

I've already explained my view on that. Does yours differ?

bulldogtragic
01-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I've already explained my view on that. Does yours differ?

He cited homesickness and stated he'd leave by trade in 2014 or guaranteed the next year because he wanted to be close to family and didn't like the environment in GWS. He only nominated WBFC. Seems more similar with Cam, than different to me.

GVGjr
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
He cited homesickness and stated he'd leave by trade in 2014 or guaranteed the next year because he wanted to be close to family and didn't like the environment in GWS. He only nominated WBFC. Seems more similar with Cam, than different to me.

I think he would have played last season for GWS had Griffen not departed us. He only signed his original contract not an extension.
Seems very different to me but we won't agree on it.

Mofra
01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Dangerfield did GVG.
But he didn't go home to Melbourne - moved back to his home town Moggs Creek to which Geelong is the closest club

Bulldog4life
01-02-2016, 06:33 PM
But he didn't go home to Melbourne - moved back to his home town Moggs Creek to which Geelong is the closest club

GVG used the example of a Victorian Lad and Victorian team. Not Melbourne.

Mofra
02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
GVG used the example of a Victorian Lad and Victorian team. Not Melbourne.
But he was never going to any other Victorian club so the example isn't directly comparable to McCarthy - Dangerfield specifically choosing Geelong over other clubs was "going home" because of the regional nature of where home was.

westdog54
02-02-2016, 05:01 PM
But he was never going to any other Victorian club so the example isn't directly comparable to McCarthy - Dangerfield specifically choosing Geelong over other clubs was "going home" because of the regional nature of where home was.

More to the point, Dangerfield opted NOT to exercise the Free Agency rights that he had, in order to facilitate the maximum return possible for his original club. The Dangerfield situation was about as amicable as it could have been made by all parties and any comparison to the negotiations surrounding McCarthy, GWS and Freo last year is totally unfounded.