PDA

View Full Version : Declan Hamilton - the forgotten Recruit - Can he make it

bornadog
29-01-2016, 06:24 PM
From Club Site:

Season in short:

Recruited to the Club with pick number 39 in last year’s draft, Declan Hamilton experienced a development year for Footscray.
The 19-year-old gained confidence playing 18 games against bigger bodies in the VFL, and will be well-placed as he enters his first full pre-season as an AFL footballer.

Hamilton spent the majority of his year across half-forward, with stints on the wing and through the midfield.
He enjoyed a purple patch from rounds five to seven, collecting 22, 23 and 17 disposals – with his crafty skills and football smarts on show.

I think 2016 is a bit of a make or break for Hamilton. EDIT: MAKE THAN 2017. :D We have lots of players his size competing for pretty much the same positions.

He needs to bring something different to the table and that could be a role like a goal sneak. He showed in the VFL last year he can kick some freakish goals.

Hopefully he has added to his draft weight of 68 kgs, as he was pushed off the ball too easily at VFL level.

I think he has the footy smarts to make it at AFL level.

Testekill
29-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Apparently more than a few VFL teams were putting in time stopping his distribution last year. I'd say that he has all the talent required but he's just not quite as slick with the ball in hand as Dale or Daniel so his lack of size hurts him a bit more than it does them.

F'scary
29-01-2016, 07:37 PM
We are already way ahead in terms of average returns on the 2014 draft. From what I saw on TV, he showed promise in the VFL. Did he get selected as an AFL emergency for any games?

ledge
29-01-2016, 08:37 PM
From what I saw he is still a baby , his voice hadnt even broken, was quite funny listening to him yell out from the interchange.
I think he is more longer term than this year .
Definitely has talent and very silky but his body needs work and if you do it too quick he will get injuries, I would personally watch him later on this year and see where he is in development.

stefoid
29-01-2016, 10:17 PM
We can afford to give him a bit of time if he keeps improving.

Webby
29-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Hamilton's frame's got s heap of weight left to put on it. He's a longer term project who I think will pay off.
He's going to get fitter, faster and stronger. Combine that with his very good disposal, and he's a very good footballer.

His only fault is that he's young. And there's a natural remedy for that!

Greystache
29-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Hamilton's frame's got s heap of weight left to put on it. He's a longer term project who I think will pay off.
He's going to get fitter, faster and stronger. Combine that with his very good disposal, and he's a very good footballer.

His only fault is that he's young. And there's a natural remedy for that!

Peptides?

stefoid
29-01-2016, 11:47 PM
My only concern is - does he show any aptitude for contested footy at all?

boydogs
30-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Definitely has AFL traits, it will be interesting to see how he goes this year

ratsmac
30-01-2016, 12:35 AM
It's definitely another development year for him. Our depth atm should sort of help him in the sense, by that I mean it's hard for anyone to get a game, so no pressure on him to break into the seniors at this point of his career. The only pressure for him should be to simply improve his game bit by bit until his body develops. So as long as he shows steady improvement he should warrant getting another contract beyond this year because he certainly has a footy brain and nouse. Plus if he becomes great it will piss off the Adelaide Crows.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Make or break year? Not even close.

He was always going to take the longest to develop out of last year's draft. Improvement is key, but 2017 will be more important for him.

Remi Moses
30-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Blimey! Make or break?
Just a tad early on Hamilton .!
Please exude some patience with some of our players

Smads57
30-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Liked his skills in the VFL games I watched him play. Found it frustrating in a few games where he tried giving the ball off to players in perceived better positions when he should have kicked at goal himself. Unselfish player.

soupman
30-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Hamilton only looks like a slow developer due to the phenomenal debut seasons of the rest of his draft class, and his body being the least developed (although Bailey Dale looked pretty raw at the start of the season too).

You would imagine if he continues to perform well at VFL level the club would keep him on, and I'm confident that Beveridge will give pretty much every player an opportunity at senior level to have a chance at proving they are good enough before the club makes the call on delisting them. The only exception to this are players like Fuller who looked completely out of their depth at VFL level at pretty much all times.

Go_Dogs
30-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Like every young player taken outside of the top 20 in the draft, every year is make or break.

Given the immediate impact we've had from the others taken in the 2014 draft, I think we can provide more time for Declan to develop than we otherwise would, which in a way is perverse. He was always going to be a player who required a year or 2 of physical development before we'd get a grasp on whether he'd make it - talented yes, but will his body hold up?

I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together and where he can establish himself in the pecking order.

Testekill
30-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Liked his skills in the VFL games I watched him play. Found it frustrating in a few games where he tried giving the ball off to players in perceived better positions when he should have kicked at goal himself. Unselfish player.

Another thing that I noticed is that he seems to be a move ahead of other players but in the worst possible way, he has to wait for other players to figure out what he was planning and that would get him into trouble.

Hotdog60
31-01-2016, 09:33 AM
How good is it that there is little to no whipping boys in the side. Also come the end of the year who will we delist. The life line for some of these kids is our older brigade in that they retire. Have we ever been in such a position. Times are good at the Bulldogs can't wait for it to start.

LostDoggy
31-01-2016, 09:44 AM
How good is it that there is little to no whipping boys in the side. Also come the end of the year who will we delist. The life line for some of these kids is our older brigade in that they retire. Have we ever been in such a position. Times are good at the Bulldogs can't wait for it to start.

So true. Sad for the individuals, but great for the club and it's supporters - the way our list is, every year is a pressure year for every player outside of the established first team members (and first year players).

SonofScray
31-01-2016, 09:46 AM
He has all the tool required except for experience and physical strength in the contest at this point in time. Going to have to end up an exceptional footballer to crack a spot in this generation of Bulldog's senior teams but I think we could be doing worse than having him in the mix.

Really thought he was a strong contributor in the VFL and showed a nose for goal in the few games I paid close attention. In the context of our return on the rest of the 2014 draft he was a bit of a forgotten man, but wasn't a mile off the pace of guys who got a run either.

GVGjr
31-01-2016, 09:46 AM

This is more of a list management observation than a comment on Hamilton but the only counter I have to that is that we have too many similar players and opportunities can be limited for some talented players. Hrovat and Honeychurch certainly spring to mind and I would imagine that if they can't get semi regular games this year then they will look for other homes. Hrovat and HC won't be the type of players to replace M.Boyd, Morris or Murphy either.
Things can change pretty quickly.

Hotdog60
31-01-2016, 11:15 AM
True it more of a list management observation, but it was the reference to a make or break year and possibly Declan isn't alone and that's not to say they aren't required players.

bornadog
31-01-2016, 12:38 PM

The only whipping boys I see are Minson and perhaps MBoyd (still but not s much as in the past)

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 12:39 AM
We can afford to give him a bit of time if he keeps improving.

Yep.
If the kid keeps improving his time will eventually come.

Mofra
01-02-2016, 10:22 AM
How many years was that slow bloke who didn't kick very often on our list before he played regular games?

That Cross bloke?

Bulldog4life
01-02-2016, 12:58 PM
I only saw Declan in a few VFL games last year. He struck me as a very unselfish quick thinking type of player. I have no doubt that once he matures he will fit into our team nicely. Got a good footy head on his shoulders.

Twodogs
01-02-2016, 01:01 PM
How many years was that slow bloke who didn't kick very often on our list before he played regular games?

That Cross bloke?

He didn't kick the ball that often because he was a lousy kick!

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 01:19 PM
He didn't kick the ball that often because he was a lousy kick!

Like Axe and Libba Snr.

LostDoggy
01-02-2016, 09:57 PM
So the goal umpire in '97 Prelim paid a point on Libba's reputation of not being able to kick a goal!!!!!????

Twodogs
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
So the goal umpire in '97 Prelim paid a point on Libba's reputation of not being able to kick a goal!!!!!????

They all turned into Bernie Quinlan when they had a shot for goal. I saw Axe kick one from the centre square at Optus Oval once.

bornadog
02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
They all turned into Bernie Quinlan when they had a shot for goal. I saw Axe kick one from the centre square at Optus Oval once.

He seemed to kick those with little leg movement. I remember in that 1992 Qualifying final when he kicked the ball from the centre of the MCG into the goal square and Delre marked it.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Well Declan is the last man standing from the last two drafts. He seems to be getting more and more of the ball in the VFL. He is competing against a lot of players the same size and for the same positions.

Will he debut this year?

Happy Days
20-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Well Declan is the last man standing from the last two drafts. He seems to be getting more and more of the ball in the VFL. He is competing against a lot of players the same size and for the same positions.

Will he debut this year?

I would have played him before Williams based on the 60 minutes of VFL I've watched this year. He's getting better; a LOT less nervous with the ball now and uses it pretty well. Still needs to get more of it though, a negative that will only get greater at the next level up.

lemmon
20-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I think he'll be trialled at some point. Think he could bring some of the things we see in Bailey Dale to the side in terms of ball use

Cyberdoggie
20-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Like Dale, Williams and Lynch will need to develop physically a lot more, I think that is impeding his ability and confidence. He tends to play a more outside game possibly for that reason.

Stats on the weekend against Port Melbourne: 24 disposals (13 kicks, 11 hb), 10 Handball receives, and 8 uncontested marks.
Good efficiency though. Only 4 ineffective.

soupman
20-05-2016, 06:06 PM
I think we will see him a couple of times this year. I think based on last year Beveridge is keen on seeing what/if a player can offer at the top level before making a call on whether or not to retain them, even if they aren't necessarily in the best form to earn selection.

The only player on our list under Beveridge who was never given that opportunity was Fuller who looked completely out of his depth at VFL level, something that doesn't apply to Declan.

bornadog
29-11-2016, 08:34 PM
To me, 2017 is make or break for young Declan.

Hot_Doggies
29-11-2016, 08:48 PM
To me, 2017 is make or break for young Declan.

Are u auditioning for the channel Seven special comments role ?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2016, 09:44 PM

Eh, Lingy?

bornadog
29-11-2016, 10:07 PM

Ha ha, very funny.

I think if he can't play senior football next year, it may be goodbye. He will be 21 at the start of the season.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Ha ha, very funny.

I think if he can't play senior football next year, it may be goodbye. He will be 21 at the start of the season.

If he hasn't cracked a game in three years (he's the only player not to play in the two years of Bevo), then he's heavy odds on to go.

Raw Toast
30-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I think the club always knew that Declan was going to need a bit more time to develop, but that he could be pretty special if given that time. He seems to have improved quite a bit in his 2nd season and I'm pretty optimistic - the quality seems to be there, and we can afford to be relatively patient with him at the moment.

The last couple of drafts could be seen as a vote in confidence in the 2014 crop, and some independent observers still think Hamilton will be one of the best that we got in that draft.

GVGjr
30-11-2016, 10:32 PM
I think the club always knew that Declan was going to need a bit more time to develop, but that he could be pretty special if given that time. He seems to have improved quite a bit in his 2nd season and I'm pretty optimistic - the quality seems to be there, and we can afford to be relatively patient with him at the moment.

The last couple of drafts could be seen as a vote in confidence in the 2014 crop, and some independent observers still think Hamilton will be one of the best that we got in that draft.

Out of the 6 draftees that year, Hamilton came to us already having played senior football for Port Adelaide so I would have thought that he might have been a bit more advanced than the other players and certainly not trailing behind.

The problem is that he doesn't get as much as much of the ball as Webb and he doesn't have the speed of Dale. McLean and Daniel have exceeded expectations and it's no shame to be behind them in the order. Cordy of course doesn't compete with him for a spot.
He's handy around the goals but as a junior player I think his best strength was the way he delivered into the forward line and I don't think we are seeing that now.
He also needs to add a bit of strength to his play.

kruder
30-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Just average in all facets of the game for mine. The odds are heavily stacked against him making it at the dogs all things considered.

Smads57
30-11-2016, 10:53 PM
I have watched Hamilton over the last two years in the VFL. He did improve this year over his first year, but for mine, he is still some way off AFL level. I note a previous comment around him being good at delivering the ball into the forward line - this was not apparent this year, but in many games this year, the VFL forward line was non existent with no-one to kick it too, which may not have helped Deccy if ball delivery into this area of the ground was his speciality.

Twodogs
30-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Out of the 6 draftees that year, Hamilton came to us already having played senior football for Port Adelaide so I would have thought that he might have been a bit more advanced than the other players and certainly not trailing behind.

The problem is that he doesn't get as much as much of the ball as Webb and he doesn't have the speed of Dale. McLean and Daniel have exceeded expectations and it's no shame to be behind them in the order. Cordy of course doesn't compete with him for a spot.
He's handy around the goals but as a junior player I think his best strength was the way he delivered into the forward line and I don't think we are seeing that now.
He also needs to add a bit of strength to his play.

In that case are we playing him to deep at Footscray then? He spends a lot of game time within 30 metres of goal.

bornadog
02-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Hamilton eyes next level (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-03-01/hamilton-eyes-next-level)

Third-year Western Bulldogs forward Declan Hamilton says that the work he has done with former VFL coach Ashley Hansen has put him in a good place as he works toward his AFL debut.

Speaking after training at Whitten Oval this week, Hamilton said he believed two solid seasons under the watchful eye of Hansen has readied him for the game's highest level.

"The work that I've put in over the last two years at VFL level definitely puts me in good shape to hopefully play [AFL] this year and continue to grow as a player," Hamilton said.

Hamilton credits Hansen and Footscray's VFL captain Jordan Russell for the progress he has made.

"I've done a lot of work with Ash Hansen over the last two years at VFL level. It's a great relationship. Ash has been great since the day I walked in. Ash and Jordy Russell at VFL level are always telling me to play my game and back in my instincts.

“To have that freedom from the coaches to play footy is what every player wants."

Hamilton played in the Bulldogs' opening JLT Community Series encounter against Melbourne, coming on after the long break to pick up seven touches at an impressive 85% disposal efficiency.

"I sort of played probably 50-50 wing/forward and felt that I was able to get into the game, coming in just to play the second half. I felt that I was able to get some good flow into my game so hopefully I can take that forward into the rest of my pre-season."

Taken with pick 39 by the Bulldogs in the 2014 AFL National Draft, Hamilton was a member of Footscray's premiership winning team last year and proved dangerous around goal, kicking 16 majors for the season.

Hamilton is again in the mix to face Brisbane in the Bulldogs' second JLT hitout at Etihad Stadium this Thursday night. He has been named in an extended squad of 29 for the match.

craigsahibee
02-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Haven't seen much of the Melbourne game. I did see a couple of his handballs in traffic that were very creative. Dare I say it, a little Jarmanesque.

Twodogs
02-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Haven't seen much of the Melbourne game. I did see a couple of his handballs in traffic that were very creative. Dare I say it, a little Jarmanesque.

No you dare not!

Actually I can hear the name Darren Jarman mentioned now and just admire what a fine player he was and not be transferred in time and space back to the second last Saturday in September 1997 (just before five o clock.) and peer up the other end trying to work out if it's bloody him again who kicked that one too.

stefoid
02-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Cant win his own ball - doesnt have skill in the contested area. Even if he turns his attitude around to winning his own contested ball, he wont ever be good at it. He'll be clumsy and prone to hurting himself and others.

A comparative player would be Suckling who at 27yo or whatever - his kicking ability arguably doesnt make up for his contested deficiencies and will struggle to ever cement a spot in our 22, IMO.

Sydney had a few players like Rohan in the GF who just couldnt handle the physcial intensity of the game and it cost them.

bornadog
13-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Hopefully gets a game on Sunday and shows why we have been so patient with him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-07-2017, 11:44 PM

Agree BAD. Needs to be tried given the length of time already at the Club.

boydogs
14-07-2017, 12:14 AM

Don't think he will, we've tended to reveal debutants early in the week or at least name them on field on Thursday

macca
14-07-2017, 01:43 AM
Is there a reason why we have persisted with him for this Long ? The club must see more upside. Only saw him in the vfl granny last year and compair him to JOng , Jong was miles ahead . Not a criticism just observation. Would be great for him to get a game and play well , kick a bag of goals and be part of a win

GVGjr
14-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Is there a reason why we have persisted with him for this Long ? The club must see more upside. Only saw him in the vfl granny last year and compair him to JOng , Jong was miles ahead . Not a criticism just observation. Would be great for him to get a game and play well , kick a bag of goals and be part of a win

He's been at the club for 3 years which isn't that long. He was a good junior footballer and worth having a decent look at

Cyberdoggie
14-07-2017, 11:34 AM
He's been at the club for 3 years which isn't that long. He was a good junior footballer and worth having a decent look at

I don't have a problem with seeing what he can do at AFL but I feel we are looking at too many skinny kids who are outside players at a time when we are struggling with the contested footy. Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm

The Pie Man
14-07-2017, 11:38 AM
What's his tank like? Outside speed is nice, but continual/repeat spread into good areas is also what we need.

The Doctor
14-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm

maybe we're fattening them up for market. The one in Adelaide especially!!!

soupman
14-07-2017, 12:04 PM
I don't have a problem with seeing what he can do at AFL but I feel we are looking at too many skinny kids who are outside players at a time when we are struggling with the contested footy. Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm

Fair point but we've tried all the ball winners already and they haven't made a difference. Honeychurch had barely any impact, Smith couldn't touch it, Webb hardly a contested ball winning beast. Maybe we are better served atleast trying to improve our use outside of the contest.

Axe Man
14-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Fair point but we've tried all the ball winners already and they haven't made a difference. Honeychurch had barely any impact, Smith couldn't touch it, Webb hardly a contested ball winning beast. Maybe we are better served atleast trying to improve our use outside of the contest.

Agreed. We smashed Adelaide in clearances, beat them in contested possessions and still got thrashed largely because our ball use was diabolical.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2017, 12:27 PM
I don't mind playing lighter bodies per se, like with any type, it is about what they contribute. In the last month, Dale has looked like a reliable 15-20 disposals and 1 goal a game player. Young is a tall and flat out looks better here and now than the next best option, forget about development. Both Dale and Young get a game for short AND long term reasons.

My concern with Hamilton is he regularly really struggles even at VFL level. I get that his type is prone to that. Let's see.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2017, 12:29 PM
From what I have seen of Dec..
- Not fast
- Not strong
- When given time, exceptionally clever over short to medium distances

soupman
14-07-2017, 12:41 PM
From what I have seen of Dec..
- Not fast
- Not strong
- When given time, exceptionally clever over short to medium distances

I'm sceptical as well but it isn't as if he will be taking the spot of someone in form.

He is competing with the following for the spot (extended bench plus a couple of others):
Roberts, offers team balance but really hasn't performed in his role the last few outings and contributes little elsewhere.
Liberatore, contributes more than Deccas, I don't expect him to be dropped.
Honeychurch, has had his chance and despite being involved enough has struggled to make an impact.
Dickson, very good player but has done nothing this year and his last few performances have been ineffectual at best.
Williams, I would pick Williams ahead of Hamilton.
Daniel, no way Hamilton gets picked ahead of Daniel, although they should play similar roles
Smith, very different type but is also not fast and regularly struggles to impact games.
Webb, solid VFL form but struggles to get involved at AFL level.

Not really sure that you can say anyone other than Libba, Daniel and maybe Williams offer more than Hamilton atm. Legitimately he could be in our best 25 available right now, and it's not a big stretch to justify his inclusion.

Rocco Jones
14-07-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm sceptical as well but it isn't as if he will be taking the spot of someone in form.

He is competing with the following for the spot (extended bench plus a couple of others):
Roberts, offers team balance but really hasn't performed in his role the last few outings and contributes little elsewhere.
Liberatore, contributes more than Deccas, I don't expect him to be dropped.
Honeychurch, has had his chance and despite being involved enough has struggled to make an impact.
Dickson, very good player but has done nothing this year and his last few performances have been ineffectual at best.
Williams, I would pick Williams ahead of Hamilton.
Daniel, no way Hamilton gets picked ahead of Daniel, although they should play similar roles
Smith, very different type but is also not fast and regularly struggles to impact games.
Webb, solid VFL form but struggles to get involved at AFL level.

Not really sure that you can say anyone other than Libba, Daniel and maybe Williams offer more than Hamilton atm. Legitimately he could be in our best 25 available right now, and it's not a big stretch to justify his inclusion.

The out of form point is true. Libba, Daniel and Williams must play imo. Daniel has been pretty good this year. Libba is struggling but at least has some composure when he gets the ball. Williams consistently does well at VFL level and has a weapon we need.