PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 NAB Cup team

LostDoggy
03-02-2016, 04:22 PM
22 days until we see some of our new players in a Dogs Guernsey in a match.

Just thinking about a likely R1 NAB team, probably easiest to pull out those who'll miss due to modified programmes.

I'd think The Smiths, Bont, Jack and Libba would be certain/highly likely to miss, whilst a few of the senior guys will probably be held back too for at least the first round (most of Bob, MBoyd, Morris, Picken, Minson, Wood, Dickson, Stringer, Dahl), which should see plenty of opportunity for all of those ranked about 15th to 35th on our list.

From training reports, I'd say Lynch and Goetz are probably the only 2 too green to be thrown in at NAB level.

Anyone else unlikely to play due to their training programmes being compromised?

To whet the appetite, I'll guess an opening line up something like:

Hamling/Collins/Biggs
JJ/Roberts/Webb
Hunter/MacRae/Dale
Maclean/Roughy/Suckling
Daniel/Boyd/Adcock

Campbell/Jong/Wallis

I/C Dunkley, Adams, Hrovat, Williams, Hamilton, Honeychurch

Cyberdoggie
03-02-2016, 04:31 PM
I guess History tells us that round 1 is usually a reasonably strong team, a reward for those who have trained the best over summer perhaps. Round 2 the experienced players take a rest and all the kids get a go, round 3 usually a dress rehersal for the big dance.

LostDoggy
03-02-2016, 08:24 PM
I guess History tells us that round 1 is usually a reasonably strong team, a reward for those who have trained the best over summer perhaps. Round 2 the experienced players take a rest and all the kids get a go, round 3 usually a dress rehersal for the big dance.
How good was last year's dress rehearsal for the big dance? :D

F'scary
03-02-2016, 08:28 PM
I would be resting all (as many as possible) of the first team players for the first two matches and I would exclude any player we hope to be available for all 22 home-and-away matches. We have less to prove than last year.

Therefore, the following should not play any NAB Cup:

Murphy
Wallis
Bontempelli
M Boyd
Dahlhaus
Hunter
Stringer
Wood
Macrae
Dickson
Morris
Johannisen
Picken

It is a long season, save them for the real thing.

Furthermore, I would give Libba jr and Stevens only as much time as they need to feel they are over their injuries.

That is 13 excluded from a list of 44. 2 partially excluded and I am assuming Clay Smith and Roarke Smith aren't up to match play yet. That is around 29 players available for NAB Cup.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Anyone and everyone. Naff and un-insightful comment, but I wouldn't overlook anyone that's fit. Last year showed a heap of surprises in talent, and I quite like the lottery of seeing kids play and seeing them excel. By the last one, it should be very close to real round one team.

F'scary
03-02-2016, 08:39 PM
And I was forgetting we only have 43 players on the total list...at the present time.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-02-2016, 12:01 PM
I would be resting all (as many as possible) of the first team players for the first two matches and I would exclude any player we hope to be available for all 22 home-and-away matches. We have less to prove than last year.

Therefore, the following should not play any NAB Cup:

Murphy
Wallis
Bontempelli
M Boyd
Dahlhaus
Hunter
Stringer
Wood
Macrae
Dickson
Morris
Johannisen
Picken

It is a long season, save them for the real thing.

Furthermore, I would give Libba jr and Stevens only as much time as they need to feel they are over their injuries.

That is 13 excluded from a list of 44. 2 partially excluded and I am assuming Clay Smith and Roarke Smith aren't up to match play yet. That is around 29 players available for NAB Cup.

I understand your thinking but would prefer to see a potential first round line up selected for our third NAB Cup clash against Collingwood at Etihad on Saturday 12 March, as a pipe opener towards the real thing a couple of weeks later.

F'scary
04-02-2016, 07:20 PM
I understand your thinking but would prefer to see a potential first round line up selected for our third NAB Cup clash against Collingwood at Etihad on Saturday 12 March, as a pipe opener towards the real thing a couple of weeks later.

Yeah, you're right. They will be wanting a warm up to get the cobwebs out of the system.

Go_Dogs
04-02-2016, 08:34 PM
As our draw is quite favourable with lots of early home games, I'd be looking to hit the ground running and capitalise. This probably means we need to have most of our round 1 blokes play at least 2 NAB Cup games.

F'scary
04-02-2016, 09:29 PM
As our draw is quite favourable with lots of early home games, I'd be looking to hit the ground running and capitalise. This probably means we need to have most of our round 1 blokes play at least 2 NAB Cup games.

Hmmm, good point - I like your thinking. I suppose if we have got some genuine depth in the list, the season is long enough for those outside the best 22 to prove their credentials in the VFL and get a look in during the second half of season.

Bulldog4life
05-02-2016, 12:01 PM

And I think that is what is going to happen barring injury.