PDA

View Full Version : Family Day Scratch Match Match Ups

LostDoggy
08-02-2016, 07:09 PM
I read somewhere that we'll have a scratch match this weekend as part of family day. Got to thinking about how our list might be best organised into suitable match ups. Pretty mouth watering trying to pair off our list into appropriate contests.

Presuming we want a serious hitout, full of serious competition, reckon the following match ups would provide great viewing and a good idea of how a few of our players are tracking:

Stringer v Morris - The Package v The Glove. Would love to see what tricks DM would pull out to keep Jake in check.

Boyd v Collins - The 2 rising young key position tyros. Boyd has 2 years headstart but I've been told that these 2 have done plenty of contested work at training and Collins has been most competitive.

Minson v Campbell - Would be a great guide for R1, having these 2 really test each other out.

Roughead v Redpath - Could each play as 2nd Ruck and a bit as both CHF and CHB, could be an interesting experiment all round.

Roberts v Adams - Both could have periods in varying key roles forward and back also pushing each others mobility and aerial strength. Both potentially could fill a number of roles in the next year or 2. This would be a really fascinating contest.

Murphy v Dickson - Would be great to watch them try to curtail each others craftiness and guile.

Dahlhaus v Boyd - Would play fairly loose, but when contested balls came up, would be tough at it.

Hunter v JJ - Hunter as Winger/HFF up against JJ as Winger/HBF. Good contest as both would need to be accountable given their opponents creativity.

Wood v Maclean - Wood is a hard one to match up on. Maclean is strong enough aerially and clever enough to keep Wood honest. A lot of us are very excited about what TM can bring this year, Wood would be a great opening challenge.

Libba v Wallis - Old sparring partners, would be great to watch the master inside mid go up against his 2015 fill in.

Bont v Macrae - Macrae is just about the only one equipped to match it with Bont physically and would keep him honest with his hard running. Would love to see Bont push Macrae into some more dangerous positions - this would be a ripping contest.

Webb v Dale - Highly promising 2nd yearers who could rotate through the wings and flanks forward and back. Either look potential break outs this year, a solid head to head would be most illuminating.

Picken v Stevens - Some really good hard running and fiercely contested footy in this match up.

Jong v Dunkley - I hear Dunkley is really impressing as a big bodied versatile mid. Jong appeals as a physically matched opponent who is fringe best 22 and capable in a number of roles.

Suckling v Biggs - Would be a really interesting contest, with both alternating through various flanker/midfield roles.

Adcock v Prudden- With Adcock seemingly being primarily set for a forward berth, JP appeals as a suitable match up, with little runs through a number of roles.

Hrovat v Daniel - 2 smaller versatile fringe players looking to push for a first team role, preferably with more midfield time, should provide each other with good competition through a number of roles.

Hamling v Cordy - Both similar types without suitable forward match ups. Could alternate forward and back with both testing out their forward skills (from memory Hamling has played some forward roles in the past).

Hamilton v Honeychurch - With both probably outside of best 22 at present, should provide an even contest with both desperate to impress, trying various roles, predominantly in the pockets.

Williams v Lynch - 1st year players appearing best suited to flanker type roles at this stage.

Twodogs
08-02-2016, 07:28 PM
I'd love to a see Bont v Macrae matchup.

LostDoggy
08-02-2016, 11:13 PM
I read somewhere that we'll have a scratch match this weekend as part of family day. Got to thinking about how our list might be best organised into suitable match ups. Pretty mouth watering trying to pair off our list into appropriate contests.

Presuming we want a serious hitout, full of serious competition, reckon the following match ups would provide great viewing and a good idea of how a few of our players are tracking:

Stringer v Morris - The Package v The Glove. Would love to see what tricks DM would pull out to keep Jake in check.

Boyd v Collins - The 2 rising young key position tyros. Boyd has 2 years headstart but I've been told that these 2 have done plenty of contested work at training and Collins has been most competitive.

Minson v Campbell - Would be a great guide for R1, having these 2 really test each other out.

Roughead v Redpath - Could each play as 2nd Ruck and a bit as both CHF and CHB, could be an interesting experiment all round.

Roberts v Adams - Both could have periods in varying key roles forward and back also pushing each others mobility and aerial strength. Both potentially could fill a number of roles in the next year or 2. This would be a really fascinating contest.

Murphy v Dickson - Would be great to watch them try to curtail each others craftiness and guile.

Dahlhaus v Boyd - Would play fairly loose, but when contested balls came up, would be tough at it.

Hunter v JJ - Hunter as Winger/HFF up against JJ as Winger/HBF. Good contest as both would need to be accountable given their opponents creativity.

Wood v Maclean - Wood is a hard one to match up on. Maclean is strong enough aerially and clever enough to keep Wood honest. A lot of us are very excited about what TM can bring this year, Wood would be a great opening challenge.

Libba v Wallis - Old sparring partners, would be great to watch the master inside mid go up against his 2015 fill in.

Bont v Macrae - Macrae is just about the only one equipped to match it with Bont physically and would keep him honest with his hard running. Would love to see Bont push Macrae into some more dangerous positions - this would be a ripping contest.

Webb v Dale - Highly promising 2nd yearers who could rotate through the wings and flanks forward and back. Either look potential break outs this year, a solid head to head would be most illuminating.

Picken v Stevens - Some really good hard running and fiercely contested footy in this match up.

Jong v Dunkley - I hear Dunkley is really impressing as a big bodied versatile mid. Jong appeals as a physically matched opponent who is fringe best 22 and capable in a number of roles.

Suckling v Biggs - Would be a really interesting contest, with both alternating through various flanker/midfield roles.

Adcock v Prudden- With Adcock seemingly being primarily set for a forward berth, JP appeals as a suitable match up, with little runs through a number of roles.

Hrovat v Daniel - 2 smaller versatile fringe players looking to push for a first team role, preferably with more midfield time, should provide each other with good competition through a number of roles.

Hamling v Cordy - Both similar types without suitable forward match ups. Could alternate forward and back with both testing out their forward skills (from memory Hamling has played some forward roles in the past).

Hamilton v Honeychurch - With both probably outside of best 22 at present, should provide an even contest with both desperate to impress, trying various roles, predominantly in the pockets.

Williams v Lynch - 1st year players appearing best suited to flanker type roles at this stage.

Bloody hell.
I'd pay top dollar to see that match ;)

westdog54
08-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Stringer/Morris would be a cracking contest.

Picken and Stevens would spend the whole match cannoning into each other just to see who was the last one standing.

The Doctor
08-02-2016, 11:55 PM
I don't want to see Picken vs Stevens as much as it would be fun to watch.

I want these mutts on the glamour boys like Hunter, JJ, Webb, Dale et al.

bornadog
11-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-11/dog-vs-dog-) are some match ups.

LostDoggy
11-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-11/dog-vs-dog-) are some match ups.

4 of 6 the same as me - that's not bad :)

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 03:53 AM
Bloody hell.
I'd pay top dollar to see that match ;)

I agree and would put in some $$ towards some video.

azabob
12-02-2016, 08:03 AM
4 of 6 the same as me - that's not bad :)

Hmmm, they had to change a couple so you couldn't sue them for plagiarism!

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Hmmm, they had to change a couple so you couldn't sue them for plagiarism!

Ha. No need to worry, I'd be only too happy if they took an idea from here. :)

Mantis
12-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Should be fun to watch.

A couple of match ups I'd like to see are:

Cordy v Stringer - let's set the challenge for Zaine early on.

Morris v Dickson - I think Tory will come under much more focus this year.. No bigger challenge internally than playing on the Glove.

With our ruck spots open it will be interesting to see how the candidates perform.

divvydan
12-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Squads named http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-12/liberatore-named-in-intra-club-squad

Of those expected to be available, only T.Boyd, Collins and Prudden are not listed.

I'm sure some players will swap teams during the game.

always right
12-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Disappointed that we won't see Collins and Boyd. Any idea why?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-02-2016, 05:47 PM
I'd love to a see Bont v Macrae matchup.

I'd kinda forgotten about Macrae in all the Bont, Stringer and JJ's hair stuff. We have a lot of seriously good players

stefoid
12-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Should be fairly earnest from half the list who are fighting for a spot.