PDA

View Full Version : Represent the Bulldogs' in the AFL Season Launch TV commercial

Bulldog4life
18-02-2016, 05:53 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-18/represent-the-bulldogs-in-an-afl-tv-commercial

The Western Bulldogs are seeking their most passionate fans to represent the Club in the official AFL television commercial to launch the 2016 AFL Premiership Season.

20 fans will be given the opportunity to star in the AFL commercial along side Bulldog skipper Bob Murphy, along with fans and captains from the other AFL clubs.

To be part of this select group that will represent the Bulldogs under the bright TV lights, all you need to do is complete your details below and be available on Thursday, March 17, 2016 between 7.45am and 10am for filming.

Entries close Sunday, 21 February at 5:00pm so enter now to make sure that you are in the running for this fantastic experience.

Please note only winners will be notified

You couldn't get a more passionate supporter than a Woofer. Who's in?

Twodogs
18-02-2016, 07:25 PM
There's no send button.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Say in less than thirty words why you should be chosen. Use the link to the website and fill in the form:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-02-18/represent-the-bulldogs-in-an-afl-tv-commercial

Ghost Dog
18-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Irene Chatfield, come on dowwwwwn.

WBFC4FFC
19-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Irene Chatfield, come on dowwwwwn.

What about that dude who hasn't missed a game since the 70's, who comes from Portland to every game!

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2016, 12:11 AM
What about that dude who hasn't missed a game since the 70's, who comes from Portland to every game!

What's his name? He is the most devoted member of all time. I'll think about getting a tattoo of his name.

LostDoggy
20-02-2016, 12:26 AM
What's his name? He is the most devoted member of all time. I'll think about getting a tattoo of his name.

Deadset legend. He must be so rapt about the whole Ballarat/Western Victoria initiative.

Eastdog
20-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Yes I dont know his name but he has been mentioned before. Great support for our club coming from all the way from Portland.

Max469
20-02-2016, 10:29 PM
His name is George Hicks

Scraggers
23-02-2016, 07:46 PM
His name is George Hicks

Popeye ??

Max469
23-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Popeye ??

Could be. I only know him as George. Will check with my sister tomorrow. She knows him quite well as he comes from Portland as noted and my sister still lives there.

Axe Man
25-02-2016, 04:25 PM
This is the guy you are talking about, Gary Hincks.

After 888 games, Libba and Gary's beautiful friendship (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/after-888-games-libba-and-garys-beautiful-friendship-20130531-2nhdd.html#ixzz2UuS1BGFm)

http://s12.postimg.org/wqsb0fgv1/Gary_Hincks.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

No one dreamed bigger footy dreams than 1990 Brownlow Medal winner Tony Liberatore. At 163 centimetres, everyone told him he was too small, but when it came to the passionate belief that drives players, Libba was a colossus.
His son, Tom, now plays with his old club, the Dogs.
Periodically, Libba sends me stories he's written about footy. He sent me a great one in 2011 about going back as an old player to the Dogs' home ground and realising how much the place still meant to him.
His latest story is about a Doggies supporter Libba met two weeks ago while watching the Dogs at Metricon Stadium. Libba writes like Jack Kerouac, a song of belief largely unimpeded by punctuation which jumps, at moments of high excitement, from the past tense into the present. As this story ran to nearly 2000 words, I can only offer edited highlights.
Advertisement

Boarding my flight to Coolangatta, I noticed a scrawny looking, toothless old man with a chef's hat carrying an old vinyl bag, which looked in mint condition. A thought crosses my mind, is he that Bulldog supporter who always watched us when I was playing????
On the bus from the airport, they found themselves sitting together.
He looked like a man on a mission. I asked him if he's going to the footy. He replied ''Too right. He squinted, observed my face and said, 'Who do you barrack for?' ''
The conversation developed.
''I asked him how many games he's been to. He replied, '887 in a row - this will be my 888th game!'
'What?!' I yelled. He said that it included two games in London in 1998 and 2012, but they didn't count because they weren't real footy.
I looked at him in disbelief. In the same sentence, he proudly told me he has attended 1543 church services and even been to the headquarters (the Vatican)''.
The man went on: 'They don't believe me.' 'What do you mean?' I replied. 'The Bulldog cheer squad reckon I missed a game.' He showed me a bus ticket from Perth airport to Subiaco for a game in 1991. 'I believe you,' I replied. A smile came across his face like a new-born baby recognising her mother.
''I asked him if I could write a story about him. 'My oath,' he retorted. It was like he was demanding me to tell the world about him. Gary Hincks - he spelt out his surname to me like he was a policeman. Gary lives in Portland in the western district of Victoria. He told me it only takes six hours by public transport to our home games. 'I don't like driving.'
We hopped on a connecting bus. Gary is quick of his feet, somehow I think this 69-year-old man may have been a ballroom dancer. 'Go doggies,' he yelled. 'Woof, woof, woof'. There were some Doggies supporters on the bus but mostly they were Gold Coast fans. One of them gave Gary a Mick Malthouse stare. This led Gary to talking about Collingwood. He doesn't like them. 'There's too many of them.'
Libba and Gary settled to watch the game together.
Gary says, '39 minutes from the bounce of the ball!' - his excitement is contagious … Close to the bounce of the ball, Gary starts clapping. 'C'mon my Bulldogs,' he yells.
The Doggies start well, we're playing all over Gold Coast and Daniel Giansiracusa marks the ball 30 metres out. Gary calls him St John of Syracuse. He tells me he was a bishop from the 6th century who was later proclaimed a saint. We get to half-time with the Doggies holding a slight lead. Gary has a snack - marmalade sandwich, biscuits and cheese. 'Want some?' he snorts. 'No. All good, mate'. He tells me he is worried about our third quarters.
As the third term unfolds, Gary begins to groan. 'Oh no, c'mon boys,' he protests. We both begin to feel the pain running through our players' hearts. But unlike many supporters, Gary doesn't scream at any of his players. He tells me he 'loves 'em'.
The Suns kick the next 5 goals. The boys win plenty of the ball in the last quarter, but by now the game is beyond reach.
The siren sounds to end the match, our boys trudge off the ground in disbelief. Our small supporter group all slump into our plastic seats - we look like spoilt children not allowed ice-cream on a balmy Melbourne night. But Gary tells me that we will win a flag in 3 years. 'We are evolving,' he says.
Libba and his mates head back to Brisbane to catch a flight to Melbourne. Gary stays overnight. He tells Libba he will be attending church the next morning. Writes Libba: Like a Robert Murphy side step, I am mesmerised by Gary.
A week later, when he rings me to discuss the story, Libba is still mind-surfing on the subject of Gary Hincks, saying he is as important to the club as Teddy Whitten, that he should be the face of the Dogs and V-line.
All he can talk about is this stranger whose passion is a companion to his own.
Libba and Gary are meeting up on Saturday night in Darwin before the Dogs' game with Port Adelaide.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 04:36 PM
It's gotta be that guy. What a legend.

Enjoyed Libba's writing. Anyone know if there is any more floating around out there?

Axe Man
25-02-2016, 04:43 PM
But Gary tells me that we will win a flag in 3 years. 'We are evolving,' he says.

Just re-read the article and noticed Gary's prediction from 2013. Let's hope he's right!

Scraggers
25-02-2016, 06:27 PM
That's Popeye ... I first met him in the 80s ... always say hi when I bump into him

Max469
25-02-2016, 08:31 PM
That's Popeye ... I first met him in the 80s ... always say hi when I bump into him

thats him.. i said tonight to my sister why do i call him george...her answer because that is what we always called him. Don't know why. Silly women we are.

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 12:42 PM
My wife just got the call that she was lucky enough to be selected for this! She also managed to somehow talk them into letting me tag along as I was responsible for brain washing her!

Should be interesting!

cinder
26-02-2016, 03:14 PM
I also just got a call from WB about this, should be fun! I've nominated hubby for moral support also, so might see you guys there :)

Grantysghost
29-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Just a quick related trip down memory lane (for those old enough to remember) . I recall being part of this during 1985 (actually was prob 86) and they (the swan lager film crew) asked us to carry on and cheer like we'd just won the flag. Think there were a lot of blank stares haha (I was 9 or 10 at the time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLg-hWzh1r4
Amazing what you can find on youtube. Enjoy.

LostDoggy
18-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Well I attended this event yesterday, turns out we weren't actually representing the Bulldogs in the AFL TV commercial. The commercial had already been done and we got to see it! Strange! Was actually just a photo shoot for Captains Day. To bad I told so many people I was going to be on TV! Doh!

Anyhoo got to meet Bob and have a chat with him which was worth it! Asked what the hell happened during that dreadful 3rd quarter of our last nab match, all he said was "I wouldn't read to much into it" with a little smirk.

cinder
18-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Well I attended this event yesterday, turns out we weren't actually representing the Bulldogs in the AFL TV commercial. The commercial had already been done and we got to see it! Strange! Was actually just a photo shoot for Captains Day. To bad I told so many people I was going to be on TV! Doh!

Anyhoo got to meet Bob and have a chat with him which was worth it! Asked what the hell happened during that dreadful 3rd quarter of our last nab match, all he said was "I wouldn't read to much into it" with a little smirk.

I too was expecting to be filming the ad! Oh well, it was a fun morning. Was glad to get a photo with Bob. Not sure if you saw the photo on Facebook.

bornadog
19-03-2016, 12:48 AM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/1518291_10153969320172487_5954186588320786989_n.jpg?oh=2578b 61a40d43c9af2c6cd888431def5&oe=57913BB4