PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge Game 1 v GWS Thursday, 25 February, 7.10pm at StarTrack Oval (Canberra)

Axe Man
23-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Squads:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
1. Matthew Suckling, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Lachie Hunter, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jack Macrae, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 19. Lukas Webb, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 24. Shane Biggs, 25. Koby Stevens, 26. Declan Hamilton, 27. Will Minson, 29. Tory Dickson, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Kieran Collins, 33. Marcus Adams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 44. Jed Adcock

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
1. Phil Davis, 2. Jacob Hopper, 3. Stephen Coniglio, 5. Dylan Shiel, 6. Lachie Whitfield, 7. Rhys Palmer, 9. Tom Scully, 11. Jack Steele, 12. Jonathon Patton , 14. Jarrod Pickett, 15. Matthew Kennedy, 16. Nathan Wilson, 20. Adam Tomlinson, 21. Matt Buntine, 22. Josh Kelly, 24. Joel Patfull, 26. Dawson Simpson, 27. Harrison Himmelberg, 28. Jake Barrett, 29. Zac Williams,, 31. Jeremy Finlayson, 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott, 34. Caleb Marchbank, 35. Aidan Corr, 36. James Stewart, 37. Rory Lobb, 40. Adam Kennedy, 42. Pat McKenna, 50. Sam J. Reid

We have named a strong squad (with 3 players to drop out). Suckling, Adcock, Collins and Adams named for their first official appearances in the red, white and blue. Libba understandably left out, still no Tom Boyd.

always right
23-02-2016, 01:38 PM
No Hamling or Roberts so almost guaranteed Collins and Roughy will play in key defensive posts.....unless Roughy plays key forward in Boyd and Redpath's absence and Adams plays key defence position.

dukedog
23-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing collins play on patton. Hope that happens!
Interesting to see who lines up forward. Roughy or adams

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Gee, no Tom Boyd again is a concern. Does anyone know the reason? Bit surprised Bont is up for NAB1.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 02:06 PM
No Boyd, Redpath, Hamling or Roberts, that's a lot of people's R1 spine, so our young keys are certainly getting thrown in the deep end a bit (even though it's only NAB). Will be very interesting to see how they go.

Templeton31
23-02-2016, 02:36 PM
No Boyd, Redpath, Hamling or Roberts, that's a lot of people's R1 spine, so our young keys are certainly getting thrown in the deep end a bit (even though it's only NAB). Will be very interesting to see how they go.

Funnily enough I listened to Terry Wallace review of Dogs from trade radio on podcast this morning - he said key to our performance this year was development of Boyd, Roberts, Hamling and Redpath and none of them playing on Thursday!!!

Looking forward to heading down to Manuka Oval to see the match.

bornadog
23-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Sandilands out:

Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands has accepted a one-match ban for rough conduct, ruling him out of the Dockers' season opener against the Western Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Sandilands out:

Huge result for us :)

bornadog
23-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Huge result for us :)

Whoops I put this in the wrong thread:o

bulldogtragic
23-02-2016, 07:48 PM
The team just got announced and it just looks like the entire senior list virtually. Suckling, Adcock, Collins & Adams in.

The best part was the announcement that last time we played a GWS home game in Canberra the crowd was 7,000.

Twodogs
23-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Whoops I put this in the wrong thread:o

I'm happy to read news like that in any thread.

azabob
23-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Gee, no Tom Boyd again is a concern. Does anyone know the reason? Bit surprised Bont is up for NAB1.

According to Beveridge both Tom Boyd and Libba recieved knocks during the week, but wouldnt elaborate even when pushed. He did say they are not serious injuries.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 08:38 PM
According to Beveridge both Tom Boyd and Libba recieved knocks during the week, but wouldnt elaborate even when pushed. He did say they are not serious injuries.

Boyd was one of very few to miss the family day scratch match also, so not sure I buy that he got a bump this week. Will feel a lot more comfortable about his progress when we see him on the field and moving freely.

SlimPickens
23-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Boyd was one of very few to miss the family day scratch match also, so not sure I buy that he got a bump this week. Will feel a lot more comfortable about his progress when we see him on the field and moving freely.

What's the point of risking him now. If he isn't 100% he doesn't play. No concern, just precaution.

kruder
23-02-2016, 09:26 PM

It was tightness in the hammy for Boyd before the intra club. I'm sure one of the coaches mentioned it.

comrade
23-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Boyd copped a knock to the shoulder at the Ballarat training session and was helped off the field. When he returned, he was in the pink non-contact vest.

Source: my old man :D

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Boyd copped a knock to the shoulder at the Ballarat training session and was helped off the field. When he returned, he was in the pink non-contact vest.

Source: my old man :D
Thanks for posting that. Good to know.

Smads57
23-02-2016, 11:15 PM
I was in Ballarat for the open training session where Toyd completed all the same drills as the other players but was wearing a pink vest. This indicated to me he wasn't far off, but was still not cherry ripe

lemmon
24-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Could be a very significant game for the big men. Looks like a pretty clear message that the race is open for the ruck spot/s by naming all three.

I like that we've gone with Adams and Collins together as well, depending on where Roberts is at one of the pair could be up for a Round 1 debut. GWS are playing an interesting mix of talls with a fairly varied skill set so it's a good way to see how the guys handle a mix of mobility/running power/strength/contested marking

LostDoggy
24-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Could be a very significant game for the big men. Looks like a pretty clear message that the race is open for the ruck spot/s by naming all three.

I like that we've gone with Adams and Collins together as well, depending on where Roberts is at one of the pair could be up for a Round 1 debut. GWS are playing an interesting mix of talls with a fairly varied skill set so it's a good way to see how the guys handle a mix of mobility/running power/strength/contested marking

Agree with all that. A Collins v Patton contest particularly appeals. Patton seems just about an ideal opponent for Collins, to test how far away KC is. Key forwards will be interesting - go small, rotate the rucks or maybe Adams for a bit.

Maddog37
24-02-2016, 03:30 PM
I was in Ballarat for the open training session where Toyd completed all the same drills as the other players but was wearing a pink vest. This indicated to me he wasn't far off, but was still not cherry ripe

He was moving very well though I thought.

BulldogBelle
24-02-2016, 06:23 PM
NAB Challenge to decide who will lead Western Bulldogs ruck division in Round 1

February 23, 2016 7:00pm
JAY CLARKHerald Sun

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he is unsure who will lead the club’s ruck division in the season-opener against Fremantle in one month’s time.

Will Minson, 30, and Tom Campbell, 24, are vying for the first ruck role and were included in a strong side for the Dogs’ first NAB Challenge game against Greater Western Sydney in Canberra tomorrow night.

The Giants have opted to rest former Dogs’ captain Ryan Griffen for the clash against his old side, along with stars Callan Ward, Heath Shaw, Jeremy Cameron and Toby Greene

Star Dogs’ onballer Tom Liberatore has been left out after some recent heavy knocks at training but is expected to play the next two preseason games in his comeback from a knee reconstruction.

Versatile tall Jordan Roughead has been named to play tomorrow and is on track to be used a dynamic swingman this season.

Minson is considered one of the tap ruckmen in the league but Campbell’s strong efforts around the ground have again provided Beveridge with a selection headache.

“Our potential candidates will all play through there (in the ruck) during the NAB series and whoever plays the best will grab the one or two or even three spots for that first game against Fremantle,” Beveridge said.

Beveridge said key forward Tom Boyd, who will miss Thursday’s game against the Giants with soreness but is expected to play the following match against Melbourne, is also in the ruck calculations.
Tom Campbell tangles with Jack Redpath. Picture: Michael Klein

Star Docker Aaron Sandilands will be missing from the Round 1 clash against the Dogs after receiving a one-match ban for rough conduct in their NAB Challenge win over Richmond at the weekend.

Minson was dropped to the VFL for the last eight games of the regular season before a surprise call-up for the elimination final loss to Adelaide.

Beveridge said the Dogs have studied the heart-breaking seven-point loss to Adelaide in detail over summer in a bid to go further this season, despite the tougher fixture.

“When we looked at that final we went on a discovery tour, really, to try and understand what happened, so it was in quite a bit of detail (the review),” he said.

“There were some harder messages in that because there were a few surprises in that game. That we didn’t see coming and that was the platform for the start of our preseason.”

No. 26 draft pick and strongly built full-back Kieran Collins is vying for Round 1 selection after a sparkling preseason playing in a key defensive post.

Beveridge said the 194cm and 100kg backman “had been quite impressive in our match simulation and ability to absorb the way we want to play and our system”.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/nab-challenge-to-decide-who-will-lead-western-bulldogs-ruck-division-in-round-1/news-story/779a22f78874cab14aff828c631bf1af#load-story-comments

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Worth seeing how they go (Collins and Adams). Key forward structure will be interesting with no Redpath or Boyd. I guess Campbell or Roughead?

Having said that it is going to be 38 degrees in the capital tomorrow, that may also be a factor with selections.

LostDoggy
24-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Worth seeing how they go (Collins and Adams). Key forward structure will be interesting with no Redpath or Boyd. I guess Campbell or Roughead?

Having said that it is going to be 38 degrees in the capital tomorrow, that may also be a factor with selections.
True enough. Thankfully game is a 7.10 PM so hopefully a lot cooler by then.

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Also no Lin Jong there is interesting.

Mofra
25-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Roughy would get first crack I imagine, although Campbell has looked more likely as a forward at AFL level.... even if he can't just tap the ball to Gia anymore

bornadog
25-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Roughy would get first crack I imagine, although Campbell has looked more likely as a forward at AFL level.... even if he can't just tap the ball to Gia anymore

You mean like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UJWQNJogE

whythelongface
25-02-2016, 12:33 PM
37 degress in Canberra today. Let's hope it is a little cooler this evening - possibly a chance of cooler change coming through.

Good luck to the team. It will be good to see our footy team back in action.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 12:38 PM
37 degress in Canberra today. Let's hope it is a little cooler this evening - possibly a chance of cooler change coming through.

Good luck to the team. It will be good to see our footy team back in action.

Forecast says 5pm it will still be 36, then dropping to 29 by 9pm, so it will be hot.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Bevo has said more or less that we have picked our best team for this match, barring those with niggles. We know Tom Boyd, Jack Redpath and Libba have niggles.

This leaves Lin Jong, Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Brad Lynch and Luke Goetz either with a niggle or off the pace.

Does anyone know if any of the above have any niggles or setbacks? It's hard to imagine either Roberts or Hamling could be left out if right. If Jong or Dunkley have been left out in favour of a Hamilton or Honeychurch, it appears they are further down the pecking order than many of us expected.

Bulldog Joe
25-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Bevo has said more or less that we have picked our best team for this match, barring those with niggles. We know Tom Boyd, Jack Redpath and Libba have niggles.

This leaves Lin Jong, Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Brad Lynch and Luke Goetz either with a niggle or off the pace.

Does anyone know if any of the above have any niggles or setbacks? It's hard to imagine either Roberts or Hamling could be left out if right. If Jong or Dunkley have been left out in favour of a Hamilton or Honeychurch, it appears they are further down the pecking order than many of us expected.

..and of course we know that a footy coach would never say anything that wasn't 100% accurate.:cool:

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 05:07 PM
..and of course we know that a footy coach would never say anything that wasn't 100% accurate.:cool:

Bevo's normally a straight shooter with stuff like that though. I remember last year, a lot of us (me included) would second guess or try to interpret a lot of his comments, but come selection time his comments at face value were usually pretty spot on. Not much value in throwing around porkies about NAB competition selections either.:)

Maddog37
25-02-2016, 05:55 PM
They would only need the slightest of niggles to miss out and would probably play if it was home and away so I would not read too much into who has missed out.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 07:19 PM
This is a mind blower. GWS going in with 26 players, we have apparently chosen to go in with 24; dropping Adcock, Dale, MBoyd, Honeychurch and Hamilton from the original squad.

Trying to think of a logical rationale (particularly given heat)....

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 07:22 PM
As at 6.20, Canberra temp is 34.2. Yikes.

Mantis
25-02-2016, 07:31 PM
As at 6.20, Canberra temp is 34.2. Yikes.

Going to give the boys a good work out.. Expected to only drop to about 28 when the game finishes so there will be no respite through the course of the night.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Still warm for footy and will be a good test for us.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2016, 08:06 PM
This is a mind blower. GWS going in with 26 players, we have apparently chosen to go in with 24; dropping Adcock, Dale, MBoyd, Honeychurch and Hamilton from the original squad.

Trying to think of a logical rationale (particularly given heat)....

Really? That's pretty stupid from my perspective if true.

Anyway, not expecting a whole lot - NAB Cup games aren't the greatest spectacles at the best of times, but looking forward to seeing a few of the younger guys run around.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Good play early on Collins

bulldogtragic
25-02-2016, 08:18 PM
4 really bad misses to start.

Edit: Make that 5.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 08:20 PM
And Giants 2 inside 50s for 2 goals.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Yep goal kicking is down.

Roughy has an opportunity now.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:22 PM
And misses

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Gee our ball movement is nice and sharp though

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Really like how Dahlhaus has gone. Collins has shown some very good early signs.

jeemak
25-02-2016, 08:32 PM
I was under the impression this could be streamed live outside of foxtel.

Am I incorrect?

ReLoad
25-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Jeez if we kicked straight it would be all over already

Hot_Doggies
25-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I was under the impression this could be streamed live outside of foxtel.

Am I incorrect?

It's on the AFL app. ( you need the live pass)

chef
25-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Great start to the preseason, just need to iron out the finishing bugs.

comrade
25-02-2016, 08:38 PM
That Collins tackle was brutal. Got caught out a few times but looks comfortable out there.

Good start by Stevens, Stringer, Macrae & Hunter.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 08:40 PM
That Collins tackle was brutal. Got caught out a few times but looks comfortable out there.

Good start by Stevens, Stringer, Macrae & Hunter.

Really liked Stevens, gee it's good to see him out there and firing.

jeemak
25-02-2016, 08:43 PM
It's on the AFL app. ( you need the live pass)

Yep, and my subscription from last year doesn't run out until late April and for some *!*!*!*!ing reason I can't watch the game via the app.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Yep, and my subscription from last year doesn't run out until late April and for some *!*!*!*!ing reason I can't watch the game via the app.

That sucks jeemak

Anyway here is the score

Our mob 20
Greater waste of space 18

Mantis
25-02-2016, 08:46 PM

It could be worse.. You could be stuck on a *!*!*!*!ing plane like I'm about to be.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Roughy should have got that.

12 disposals for Koby.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 08:47 PM
It could be worse.. You could be stuck on a *!*!*!*!ing plane like I'm about to be.

Where are you headed to Mantis?

jeemak
25-02-2016, 08:50 PM

It's true now, as I'm up and running......enjoy your flight!

jeemak
25-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Now it's up and running I really miss those LED signs they have at the big grounds. They really enhance the match day experience.

comrade
25-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Roughy is stinking it up.

GVGjr
25-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Good footy mixed in with below acceptable skill errors.

Early days

comrade
25-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Good footy mixed in with below acceptable skill errors.

Early days

Not concerned with some rust in the first hit out.

If we don't iron it out by the last NAB game, I'll start worrying.

We look fit & our ball movement looks very good.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Roughy having a shocker

jeemak
25-02-2016, 09:13 PM
I said this about our first run against the Tigers last year, you just don't worry about the turnovers or the goal kicking inaccuracy at this time of year and concentrate on the amount of time in possession, metres gained and tally versus your opposition in tackles, kicks, marks and handballs.

We're going Ok, and we're competitive.

comrade
25-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Roughy having a shocker

Yep, TC has been the pick as a ruckman. None of the big guys are forwards though.

Really need Boyd and Redpath to step up.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:14 PM
That recruit Jesse Stringer going all right.

FFS get it right MEDIA

kruder
25-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Ruck/Forward. Yeahhhhhhh Naaahhhh! I understand tonight it was by necesscity but make no mistake we won't be playing two ruckman this year.

Love the ball retention of Caleb so clean in the conditions oh and then there is Jake.... :)))))))))))))))

comrade
25-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Also, pretty happy we have a bloke called Jake Stringer in our side.

Throw Boyd x 2 & Libba into this team and it's pretty balanced.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 09:17 PM
I reckon the biggest disappointment for the coaches thus far would be the inability of Roughy or BTC to make any impact inside 50. They'll never get a better chance than this to stake their claim. Ruck questions no clearer from that half. Overall, a pretty good half though for NAB1, Collins and Adams did a couple of nice things. Stevens and Stringer the stars.

ratsmac
25-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Plenty of rust in front of goals but plenty of time before the real stuff starts. Ball movement is slick but you could see fatigue starting to kick in late in the second. It is 30 degrees though.
I would like to see them a little bit further in front considering the opposition has a relatively weak team in, but overall an ok start to 2016

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Oooh Bont. Such class. Suckling fitting in v.nicely.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Commentators make a good point. Bontempelli and Dahlhaus are flashy, but Mitch Wallis continues to get things done. Under glorified player at the Dogs.

ledge
25-02-2016, 09:38 PM
How good is Daniel ? Kid never gets caught and his disposal is amazing.

ledge
25-02-2016, 09:40 PM
If Brereton calls him Jesse again I'm going to lose it

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Dahl a shocker in front of goal

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:45 PM

Twitter gone berserk

Drunken Bum
25-02-2016, 09:46 PM

why has no-one corrected him, he said it 3 times in a minute just before "i want to ask you about Jesse Stringer" aaaarrrgggghhh what would you like to know his real bloody name?

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 09:50 PM
JJ looks so much better off half back for mine.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Need to finish off the 4 quarters

F'scary
25-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Just listening on the radio - SEN - sounds like McLean and Daniel will be hard to displace from the 22. Overall, seems that our strengths from last year are in evidence, but so are some of our weaknesses: not capitalising on opportunities when we have the weight of possession in our forward line, vulnerable on the rebound.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:57 PM
why has no-one corrected him, he said it 3 times in a minute just before "i want to ask you about Jesse Stringer" aaaarrrgggghhh what would you like to know his real bloody name?

Poll on twitter:

30%
Kermit Brereton

00%
Hermit Brereton

10%
Jesse Brereton

60%
It's JAKE FFS

bornadog
25-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Stevens looks in pretty good knick

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Just listening on the radio - SEN - sounds like McLean and Daniel will be hard to displace from the 22. Overall, seems that our strengths from last year are in evidence, but so are some of our weaknesses: not capitalising on opportunities when we have the weight of possession in our forward line, vulnerable on the rebound.

Hrovat has been good as well. 3 goal assists. Very hard for the selectors even at this early stage.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Great goal Tommy Campbell.

azabob
25-02-2016, 10:05 PM
JJ looks so much better off half back for mine.

When did he play elsewhere?

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Roughy rusty

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Roughy drops another but redeems himself pick it up and goals.

jeemak
25-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Roughead did his best not to take that chance!

The fact not one commentator didn't correct dickhead is pretty disappointing. Are they all so far up their own arses that they can't take being corrected when they're making fools of themselves?

F'scary
25-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a good goal from Hrovat. Would be a real bonus if he is breaking the door down for a senior spot.

bulldogtragic
25-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Hrovat looking good. As too Daniel & Magic. Honeychurch needs to come back and make a statement to grab the spot. The selectors have one hell of a job for our smalls and flankers.

NoseBleed
Score check anyone please?

LostDoggy
When did he play elsewhere?

He played more as a half forward/attacking winger earlier tonight but didn't look as comfortable to me.

bulldogtragic
Oh, and I don't care if it's a praccy match, screw you GWS you plastic soulless pathetic excuse for an AFL club.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Dogs 89-47

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Dogs 89 GWS 47

NoseBleed
25-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Excellent. Thanks!

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Dogs 90

Giants 54

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Q4

About 8 minutes to go.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Allowing easy goals

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:17 PM
2 extra players telling late

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Tommy putting his hand up

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:18 PM
WB 96, GWS 60

6 min

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Campbell's 2nd half has been good, especially forward. Would have to be fave for 1st ruck now I'd reckon.

GVGjr
25-02-2016, 10:20 PM
The defenders should all be ashamed the way Stewart was able to waltz through and kick a goal.

Disappointing last 10 minutes

jeemak
25-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Good end to end goal.

Will has played quite well and has used his left perfectly twice.

Interesting tussle between him and Campbell.

jeemak
25-02-2016, 10:27 PM
I think we may have held more sternly if we had the same number of players.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Final Score WB 104 Defeat GWS 73

bornadog
25-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Gee hate playing in that heat and that woeful jumper

chef
25-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Good stuff. Ran out of puff a bit but we were two short.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Suckling won a couple of contested balls and had 17 disposals at 100% efficiency and looked very much at home in our structure. Very pleasing debut.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:33 PM
First win and many more to come.

Players I liked tonight: Stringer, JJ, Dahl, Campbell and Bont more better in the 2 half, Stevens

Collins show lots of good signs tonight. Hrovat I liked as well.

merantau
25-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the reports. Have just got home so very happy to get the news. Goals, best players? Our posts overlapped (see above) Thanks

divvydan
25-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Have to assume only playing 24 tonight was partly due to wanting to reduce the overall number of rotations in a bid to prepare for the 90 cap this season.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Have to assume only playing 24 tonight was partly due to wanting to reduce the overall number of rotations in a bid to prepare for the 90 cap this season.

We are also big believers in heat training, so the 24 tonight just got a really solid session under their belts.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:39 PM
I'll add to my previous post Macrae as well who was very good.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 10:40 PM
We are also big believers in heat training, so the 24 tonight just got a really solid session under their belts.

Yes great experience for our young group in tough conditions.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Our defense was very shaky all night. Although we were missing a couple of players, I was disappointed with the ease at which GWS were able to score given their own outs. There were quite a few passages of play similar to that of the EF v Adelaide where the ball got over the top and we were nowhere to be found. Our positioning was quite poor for most of the night in this respect and whilst Boyd and a few others will help, it's still an area of great concern. Will be interesting to see how this progresses over the season.

Caleb was sensational and is firmly within our best 18. His ball retention is fantastic; decision making spot on, skill level flawless. I love watching him play and feel assured whenever he has the ball in hand because he simply doesn't waste it. Clearly improved his tank too and looks set for a great season.

Campbell had a strong second half and should be our #1 ruck - proved again he is capable up forward, whilst also showing some inconsistencies at times but he is far, FAR superior to Roughead as a ruck/forward. I thought Minson was pretty good too and battled well around the ground.

It's early but Roughead looks absolutely out of his depth as both a ruck and forward. I really hope we reconsider his position; for me it's full back or VFL. We simply have better options in the ruck and forward.

Toby McLean showed some exciting glimpses and got better as the game worn on. Looking forward to his development, one of our most talented young players who will be a damaging player soon enough. Koby was rock solid and showed why he is so important to us both as a mid and resting forward, Stringer looks in good condition and Bonti improved as the game wore on too. Also impressed by both Hunter and Macrae.

The signs are good, but I still have deep concerns about our team defense and our key defenders. Collins and Adams will learn a LOT from tonight but they are both a long way off the pace for now, which you would expect. We really need Hamling and Roberts to have big seasons, but I still think Roughy should go back and if he can't take a position in our back six I see no position for him period.

GVGjr
25-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Caleb was sensational and is firmly within our best 18. His ball retention is fantastic; decision making spot on, skill level flawless. I love watching him play and feel assured whenever he has the ball in hand because he simply doesn't waste it. Clearly improved his tank too and looks set for a great season.

Hard to find an argument that he shouldn't be in the round team.
He makes a difference when he is on the field

Campbell had a strong second half and should be our #1 ruck - proved again he is capable up forward, whilst also showing some inconsistencies at times but he is far, FAR superior to Roughead as a ruck/forward. I thought Minson was pretty good too and battled well around the ground.

Campbell and then Minson should be our plans for the ruck position. I've yet to see what the coach sees in the Roughead ruckman forward planning. He needs to be able to ruck on occasions but we shouldn't think he is a long term prospect there based on what we have seen. Like you, I prefer him as a defender.

The signs are good, but I still have deep concerns about our team defense and our key defenders. Collins and Adams will learn a LOT from tonight but they are both a long way off the pace for now, which you would expect. We really need Hamling and Roberts to have big seasons, but I still think Roughy should go back and if he can't take a position in our back six I see no position for him period.

It's early days for Collins and Adams and we will look a lot better when Hamling and Roberts are available.

Some of the things I saw tonight concern me but we will get better over the next few weeks. I was pleased with Suckling and Daniel and thought they both made an impact.

Doc26
25-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Good summation TBB.

Also just wanted to add how impressive Suckling fitted in for his debut with us tonight.

His work rate was especially pleasing and his disposal efficiency was running close to 100%.

McLean is one very clever footballer. A couple of his kicks in the forward fifty were very special. A bit of strength to his frame and he will be a scary prospect.

ledge
25-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Adams and Collins just need to learn to not get sucked in by opponents, also to not let the ball get over the top,they will be ok ,it was a very young backline . I think Murph only played a half.
Alls good in the kennel I would say after tonight.
Pleasing performance with ball speed and connecting up to run the ball out.
Probably missed big red or Tom Boyd more than I thought we would but we definitely would have done better with Red crashing the packs or presenting.

always right
25-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Disappointing last quarter but overall happy with the way we moved the ball...albeit against limited opposition.

Very happy with Steven's first half and Hrovat, Minson, Campbell and Bont's second half.
Not happy with Roughead's game and Adams didn't allay anyone's concerns with his disposal.
JJ was the best four quarter player and Stringer.....well he was Stringer.
Collins showed some good signs and I liked a number of things McLean did.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Some of the things I saw tonight concern me but we will get better over the next few weeks. I was pleased with Suckling and Daniel and thought they both made an impact.

Good summation TBB.

Also just wanted to add how impressive Suckling fitted in for his debut with us tonight.

His work rate was especially pleasing and his disposal efficiency was running close to 100%.

Good pick up. Forgot Suckling but he was very good tonight, I was pretty happy when we secured him and tonight illustrated why. Suits our style perfectly and will get plenty of ball with the likes of Wallis, Koby, Libba, Macrae, Bonti etc. winning the ball in close quarters.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Our defense was very shaky all night. Although we were missing a couple of players, I was disappointed with the ease at which GWS were able to score given their own outs. There were quite a few passages of play similar to that of the EF v Adelaide where the ball got over the top and we were nowhere to be found. Our positioning was quite poor for most of the night in this respect and whilst Boyd and a few others will help, it's still an area of great concern. Will be interesting to see how this progresses over the season.

It's early but Roughead looks absolutely out of his depth as both a ruck and forward. I really hope we reconsider his position; for me it's full back or VFL. We simply have better options in the ruck and forward.

Toby McLean showed some exciting glimpses and got better as the game worn on. Looking forward to his development, one of our most talented young players who will be a damaging player soon enough. Koby was rock solid and showed why he is so important to us both as a mid and resting forward, Stringer looks in good condition and Bonti improved as the game wore on too. Also impressed by both Hunter and Macrae.

Excellent overview TBB. I am a little more forgiving of the defensive unit given both kpd's were on debut, MBoyd was missing and Bob sat out the majority of the match. Collins was caught out a couple of times, but overall was most impressive - mainly played on Patton and beat him on the night for mine. Showed good composure in the contest and with the ball for a first gamer. Adams needs work though.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 11:04 PM
How did woofers rage Lachie's game tonight?

Twodogs
25-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Great hit out, if I had sat down and written 3 or 4 things I really wanted to see, a big win, Campbell dominate a bit and stringer kick an outrageous goal, then I would be a happy little bulldog.:)

The Bulldogs Bite
25-02-2016, 11:06 PM
How did woofers rage Lachie's game tonight?

Pretty solid. Work rate was up, used it relatively well. Both he and Macrae have similar styles and the former has certainly matured over the last 12 months to become a more well rounded and consistent player. Lachie looks set to continue on from last season.

F'scary
25-02-2016, 11:09 PM

I like that jumper.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Interesting stat for Lachie was that he was on the ground for 90% of the match, the most of any player. Outstanding effort for a midfielder under those conditions and speaks volumes for his tank and his preseason work.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 11:13 PM
And we have Libba and Smith still to come in.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 11:17 PM
So if people were giving votes, who'd they go for? I'd go

3 - Stevens
2 - Daniel
1 - Hrovat

Unlucky: JJ, Stringer.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 11:23 PM
I'll go

3. Stevens
2. Stringer
1. Macrae

SonofScray
25-02-2016, 11:24 PM
One of things I was keen to see tonight was Collins line up on Patton and see plenty of ball in, we got a good look at the kid tonight in a few scenarios and for the most part it was good. He got under the footy a bit trying to play in front and participate in the press but his body work in close and hustle on the loose ball was great. Composed, kept his feet and was aggressive. Liked what I saw.

Adams also had a solid hit out, he has the attributes and if he can limit his kicking errors could be a valuable addition earlier than I anticipated. Great to have some options and really challenge Sid and Hamling.

Koby was superb. Great to have him back and looking ready for a big season.McLean has the right stuff. Daniel is a lock for R1. Will still our best bet in the ruck. Worried about Roughie, looking more and more like an honest toiler every game he plays instead of the competent tall I thought he'd develop into.

That jumper is a shocker, won't harp about it here (saved that for Twitter) but gee whizz we've deviated from a classy design for a cheap cash grab.

bornadog
25-02-2016, 11:30 PM
TBoyd>Patton. :)

Dry Rot
25-02-2016, 11:31 PM

Daniel > TBoyd :D

bornadog
25-02-2016, 11:32 PM
I thought Biggs played well and will be in round one. He has continued his good form from the second half of last year.

He has got to stop doing those stupid little short passes.

Eastdog
25-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Webb was quiet tonight I thought.

Greystache
25-02-2016, 11:37 PM
Had to watch on delay but happy with a number of players. Stevens and Daniel were both outstanding, really liked some of Hrovat's work, and JJ was good.

Good to see Campbell getting back to his 2014 form in the second half and Minson was better too. Roughy gave what I expected and it's a huge concern. Also wasn't happy with our ability to stop the coast to coast entries.

LostDoggy
25-02-2016, 11:39 PM
I thought Biggs played well and will be in round one. He has continued his good form from the second half of last year.

He has got to stop doing those stupid little short passes.

Agree with that, except I don't know how all these (forward or back) flankers/fringe midfelders can possibly fit. Of the players who most people had on the bench/just out of our best 22 in these positions - Biggs, Daniel, McLean, Hrovat - all did well (not to mention Stevens and Suckling who weren't in the team late last year). Wonderful for us.

BulldogBelle
25-02-2016, 11:42 PM
Yes, I like the jumper too.

It has Peter Gordon's dog on it.

Our new logo.

always right
25-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Webb was quiet tonight I thought.

Classy player but lacks a yard of pace.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Glowing reports about Caleb. Any comments?

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 12:05 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-25/capital-gains-for-dogs-in-cruise-over-giants

For those who couldn't view the game, the above has some video highlights.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2016, 12:05 AM

Glowing.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Glowing.
Really liking this pick. I have a feeling he is going to rack up some big numbers around the middle.

always right
26-02-2016, 12:12 AM

He just seems to do the right thing every time. A real footballer who can play on the wing....which means there could be room for him and Hrovat in the same side. Hrovat was also impressive tonight.

Mantis
26-02-2016, 12:24 AM

Harsh... Patton's had 2 knee reco's.

kruder
26-02-2016, 12:25 AM
I really do believe that Jordan would benefit from playing in the VFL for 2-3 weeks. Bevo has been consistent since day one with players out of form and the chance just to get hands on the footy again and gain some confidence would do him the world of good.

Fingers crossed we can fix this leaky defence. We continued to get too high up the park but in saying that we had two kid key defenders and the mids weren't busting a gut to get back to support either.

One things for sure boys, we have never had so many good individual players on our list! I have no doubt about that. We are all in for one hell of ride...

jeemak
26-02-2016, 12:27 AM
Good summary TBB. As it's preseason I think you've nailed the level of detail required, thanks for posting it.

I thought Stevens, Hrovat, JJ, Minson, Campbell (though these guys let Lobb have an impact around the ground) and Daniel did the most to impress me, though aside from that it was a typical preseason game where players drifted in and out and with skills down struggled.

As to my post from earlier, we smashed them by roughly 20% in possession stats and a few other key ones were well in our favour.

Not a bad start.

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Was quite impressed by Giants 2 younger talls Lobb and Stewart tonight, Lobb especially. Imagine if they had've retained all of Cameron, Boyd, Patton, McCarthy, Lobb and Stewart - 6 quality key forwards under 23, holy crap that would've been unprecedented.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Was quite impressed by Giants 2 younger talls Lobb and Stewart tonight, Lobb especially. Imagine if they had've retained all of Cameron, Boyd, Patton, McCarthy, Lobb and Stewart - 6 quality key forwards under 23, holy crap that would've been unprecedented.

They have 5 of them on the list still don't they? Jaksch & Bruce were played forward too weren't they?

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 01:06 AM
I don't want to kick a bloke while his down and whilst there were many positive performances tonight Roughy is a huge concern. I'm really starting to question his pain threshold and maybe AFL footy isn't for him. Zero confidence at the moment.

Was strange going in with the 2 less players considering Murphy and Dickson sat out the 2nd half. But it was a great solid hitout for the other 22.

Really pleased for Suckling. Just about the perfect debut. That's all we need from him every week.

If Stevens can keep his body right and Hunter keeps being Hunter, throw in Libba to add to Bont, Macrae, Wallis and Dahl in the guts. As Dwayne would say.. Scary good!

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 01:19 AM
They have 5 of them on the list still don't they? Jaksch & Bruce were played forward too weren't they?

Not really counting Mcarthy as he seems to be sitting it out until the contract expires. Forgot about Jaksch and Bruce also. It really is an embarrassment of riches, they must've thought they were so set 18 months ago (probably still do).

Lobb was brilliant tonight, he's the sort of guy who'd top us off perfectly and could get lost at GWS when Mumford and Cameron return, bet we're monitoring him closely.

boydogs
26-02-2016, 01:20 AM
I don't want to kick a bloke while his down and whilst there were many positive performances tonight Roughy is a huge concern. I'm really starting to question his pain threshold and maybe AFL footy isn't for him. Zero confidence at the moment.

No-one wants to kill themselves in a pre-season game. I reckon he could have taken the mark that he dropped when he recovered and kicked the goal, if he had been willing to dive at it onto his shoulder

jeemak
26-02-2016, 01:42 AM
Not really counting Mcarthy as he seems to be sitting it out until the contract expires. Forgot about Jaksch and Bruce also. It really is an embarrassment of riches, they must've thought they were so set 18 months ago (probably still do).

Lobb was brilliant tonight, he's the sort of guy who'd top us off perfectly and could get lost at GWS when Mumford and Cameron return, bet we're monitoring him closely.

I look forward to seeing him be as impressive as he was tonight in regular season football. Tonight was about as practice match as you can get.

Mantis
26-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Haven't seen much of the game yet, but pretty buoyant to the fact we had 31 scoring shots with no Boyd or Redpath and with Dickson playing a limited role.

Hotdog60
26-02-2016, 09:23 AM
When Dermie first came on the scene his commentary was border line to listen to but now it's very annoying. Also Johnno has become his under study. The rest of the team well they are meh.

bornadog
26-02-2016, 09:40 AM
When Dermie first came on the scene his commentary was border line to listen to but now it's very annoying. Also Johnno has become his under study. The rest of the team well they are meh.

Its excruciating listening to the drivel on commercial TV. At one stage I was in the kitchen making a cuppa during the game and I honestly didn't know what was going on. All I heard was these blokes just chatting about Jessie Stringer and other matters not directly related to the game.

I am not sure what they are trying to achieve?

soupman
26-02-2016, 09:53 AM
No-one wants to kill themselves in a pre-season game. I reckon he could have taken the mark that he dropped when he recovered and kicked the goal, if he had been willing to dive at it onto his shoulder

He dropped a simple chest mark. If he was worried about his safety he needed to take the mark instead of dropping it and copping a tackle. Campbell's first half marking was shite, but atleast he got his hands to the ball and was in the better position, and redeemed himself in the second half. Roughy struggled to impact te ball when he had simple opportunities to, and when he did mark it his set shot was pathetic.

I've never been sold on him as a forward, he is a strong mark when he is intercepting in the backline but struggles otherwise, doesn't have the body to split packs, doesn't lead well and his disposal gets worse and worse the closer he is to goal.

craigsahibee
26-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Really? That's pretty stupid from my perspective if true.

Anyway, not expecting a whole lot - NAB Cup games aren't the greatest spectacles at the best of times, but looking forward to seeing a few of the younger guys run around.

Getting the players used to the rotation restrictions I guess.

bornadog
26-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Love this tweet:

Jake Stringer ‏@JStringer9 (https://twitter.com/JStringer9) 23m23 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JStringer9/status/702971084551749632)
@FOXFOOTY (https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY) my name is actually Jake not Jesse. Please and thank you.

craigsahibee
26-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Good summation TBB.

McLean is one very clever footballer. A couple of his kicks in the forward fifty were very special. A bit of strength to his frame and he will be a scary prospect.

Clearly his right leg is just for balance though. His left leg better be super good.

always right
26-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Was strange going in with the 2 less players considering Murphy and Dickson sat out the 2nd half. But it was a great solid hitout for the other 22.

Did we go in with two less players or did we simply play two players down when Murphy and Dickson went off? I thought Bevo suggested the latter when he was interviewed after the game.

always right
26-02-2016, 10:25 AM
He dropped a simple chest mark. If he was worried about his safety he needed to take the mark instead of dropping it and copping a tackle. Campbell's first half marking was shite, but atleast he got his hands to the ball and was in the better position, and redeemed himself in the second half. Roughy struggled to impact te ball when he had simple opportunities to, and when he did mark it his set shot was pathetic.

I've never been sold on him as a forward, he is a strong mark when he is intercepting in the backline but struggles otherwise, doesn't have the body to split packs, doesn't lead well and his disposal gets worse and worse the closer he is to goal.

Well summarized. I'm quickly coming to the view that Roughy may only play seniors when there is a particular matchup we need him for....the really tall second ruck type forwards.

The Underdog
26-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Clearly his right leg is just for balance though. His left leg better be super good.

He's the new Eagleton. It's gonna be great fun.

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Hes plus two premierships on Nathan ATM. Lets hope he retires with half a dozen more.

LostDoggy
26-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Did we go in with two less players or did we simply play two players down when Murphy and Dickson went off? I thought Bevo suggested the latter when he was interviewed after the game.

No we started the game with 24 vs GWS with 26. Murph played 36% gametime and Dickson 20% after both reported not feeling right in the first half. The other 22 essentially played a normal game. We had 90 odd rotations to GWS 140 odd, so we ran out the game really well considering.

dog town
26-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Few things I found interesting.

We played two big talls inside 50 for large periods. I didn't think it worked but Campbell and Roughy dropping chest marks didn't help. Hard to know if we were trying something or if it was forced on us because we took in 3 rucks. Either way it's completely different to the mobile, get out the back set up we used late last year.

Use of little short passes through the middle seems to have increased. Noticed it in the intra club too. Have to see if this is just a coincidence or develops into a pattern.

Wallis really working on that forward craft again. Looks dangerous down there and almost got two forward stoppage goals in the first qtr.

Suckling looks fitter than when he was at the Hawks IMO. Pace a bit better than I thought too.

JJ looked great. So important for us as our real line breaker.

Templeton31
26-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Went to Manuka last night. Great to have Dogs in Canberra (well great for me :)) and was a beautiful evening. Thanks to club too for the little things - my daughter loved meeting woofer and the high fiving from players after the game and the giving out of footys after the game (even though she didn't get one). Things like that they didn't have to do for an away NAB Challenge game in Canberra but they did which was wonderful. Some observations from being at the ground:

- In the first half especially Stevens and Stringer seemed like they could beat Giants on their own. Koby working so hard and everywhere and Jake just at another level to everyone else on the ground. Good luck opposition stopping Jakey over the next few years. He did look stronger and fitter than last year and seemed to run more comfortably through the midfield than last year.

- Liked Collins game. He was clearly still learning our structures - often standing between two players looking side to side trying to work out which Giant to go to. But geez if he was near the ball he was competitive, hard to get past and very very strong. No problems contesting toe-to-toe with Patton, their ruck men etc Great spoil near us at one point when between two tall Giants. Most of the 1st half Kieran was our only "tall" defender as Adams was off the ground and Dale was playing more HBF-wing. Also Easton playing on auto pilot last night.

- Adams looked ok. I saw what people had been saying about his kicking. I dunno that its his kicking but maybe his decision making? He turned the ball over by foot right in front of us and TBH he seemed to kick it to exactly where he wanted to. It was just a bad choice as there was plenty of time for Giant to run over and intercept the kick. His long kick out of defence at one point was massive though and in fact a beautiful kick - just went to no one.

- I would say that Adams looked like he was giving his all when plenty of other players seemed to be running in 2nd gear.

- Murphy, Dickson, Wood, the Bont (not 2nd half) all spent plenty of time on the bench. Dickson was on the bench at 3/4 time with boots and socks off and was done but not receiving any treatment so I don't think a problem there. Murph just looked like he was running round trying to get serious about the game but his motivation was what you would expect for your 16th season of preseason games...

- I'd been wondering whether there is room for Redpath and Boyd in our side and after last night I think there is but it depends on the ruck set up. Last night we'd start each bounce with two 'talls' in the FF area with players sort of spread round them almost cluster like. The two talls were sometimes 2 of the 3 ruck men (Will, Roughy and TomC) but more usually one of the ruck men plus one of Stringer, Stevens, Wallis, the Bont or some other tallish midfielder who can mark playing the leading forward. Big Jack or TomB could definitely play that role better than the ruck men or the tall mid did last night - TomC gets to the contest but his marks don't stick (he got better as night went on), Will has no speed on the lead and Roughy was pretty bad last night often not even making a contest to bring the ball to ground which say TomB is very good at. So for mine you could have Redpath and Boyd in those roles but, with the new interchange rules, you could not have both of TomC and Will playing ruck. Basically I'd say you can have 3 of TomB, Jack, TomC and Will playing - but not all 4.

- Roughy wasn't much chop last night. There was a time right in front of us he just didn't get to a contest that I'm sure TomC, TomB or Jack would've got too. Half way through the last quarter he was moved to defence. Is Bevo trying to make Roughy into a ruck/fwd when really he's only cut out for a ruck/back? Thats what it looked like last night. Reminded me of Hird trying to make Carlisle a forward.

- TomC and Will both seemed to get round the ground and to more contests than they were last year. TomC seemed more confident in general taking on a few shots at goal etc. TomC could've had a really big game if his marking and goal kicking had been better early on.

- JJ was very good. Or did I just notice him more coz of his hair? :D

- Toby McLean has a great jump on him and very courageous in the air. Only really flashed in and out of play but was far from a bystander when he was in it.

- Hrovat looked more confident and more like he knew what he was doing within the side. He finished very well. Liked his game.

Anyway some random observations and I hope not too long - I appreciate all the contributions I get to read from up here so one of the few times I can add something.

FWIW I think the Giants will be alright this year. Ive been to many Giants games at Manuka and this was the first time it didn't look like half the side were underdeveloped kids who should be playing Little League. Last night they all looked big enough and strong enough to test any side and that was without Ward, Mumford, Traitor etc Not sure how Patton will go - he just looked too big and slow to get to enough contests.

Go Dogs!

Axe Man
26-02-2016, 12:58 PM

Have to agree with everyone about Roughy, horribly out of form last night. Fortunately we are a month away from the start of the season so hopefully he can keep working hard and increase his confidence.

I still believe the best footy he has played has been in the backline and I think that is still his best shot.

A bit rough questioning his pain threshold though. Didn't he play out a game against Richmond a couple of years ago with a busted shoulder, only to miss the the next 6 or so weeks?

Greystache
26-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Eagleton was an appalling player against good teams, and even worse in big moments. Suckling already has Eagleton covered comfortably.

always right
26-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Only criticism of Suckling last night was his tendency on occasions to just bomb it long. Would really like him to try and pick out players going forward...even in congestion. Back himself.

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2016, 02:05 PM

Hehe yeah it's not great.
I can't believe they just dropped that bomb in the social club function last year and all the numpties in the crowd thought it was good.

always right
26-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Hehe yeah it's not great.
I can't believe they just dropped that bomb in the social club function last year and all the numpties in the crowd thought it was good.
Were they well fed and watered?

I hate the "cartoon" jumper. Maybe it's a kid thing.

Mantis
26-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Eagleton was an appalling player

Edited for accuray. ;)

Mofra
26-02-2016, 03:53 PM
We played two big talls inside 50 for large periods. I didn't think it worked but Campbell and Roughy dropping chest marks didn't help. Hard to know if we were trying something or if it was forced on us because we took in 3 rucks. Either way it's completely different to the mobile, get out the back set up we used late last year.
I only heard the radio during the first quarter, the commentators were in raptures about how well BTC was getting to contests and the fall of the ball in the F50.... wasn't Tom Boyd doing the same thing last year as a 19 year old though?

I don't think the ruck issue is settled but a combo of Redders & Boyd chopping out a genuine first ruck (either BTC or Wilbur) seems to be the way forward.

bornadog
26-02-2016, 04:45 PM
I only heard the radio during the first quarter, the commentators were in raptures about how well BTC was getting to contests and the fall of the ball in the F50.... wasn't Tom Boyd doing the same thing last year as a 19 year old though?

I don't think the ruck issue is settled but a combo of Redders & Boyd chopping out a genuine first ruck (either BTC or Wilbur) seems to be the way forward.

Bevo mentioned a few weeks ago the non-sub rule would allow us to experiment with an extra tall in the forward line.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Are we going to be a tall team for once??? When was the last time we statistically dominated another team regarding height!

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Are we going to be a tall team for once??? When was the last time we statistically dominated another team regarding height!

Mid '70s probably with Quinlan, Sandilands, Dempsey, Round, Templeton and Merrington.

bornadog
26-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Mid '70s probably with Quinlan, Sandilands, Dempsey, Round, Templeton and Merrington.

Salmon

Go_Dogs
26-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Caught the majority of the game and pretty pleased with what I saw.

Highlights
Tom Campbell
Toby McLean
Caleb Daniel
Matt Suckling

All players who weren't significant last year who will add a lot.

Koby showed how important he is for us and how much we need him fit for the business end of the season.

Collins and Adams showed a few glimpses. Liked Adams taking a good intercept mark (cannot recall the quarter) but it showed he has some tools that mean he can make the grade whilst having some areas of improvement.

Wallis, Stringer, JJ, Bont, Macrae, Hunter etc all showed they are primed to continue their good form from 2015.

Concerns
Roughead, still hasn't quite hit the mark but figure he will get more opportunities.
The fact that we have quite a few key players to fit in, Liberatore, Boydx2, Redpath, Murphy (limited game time). Good concern to have, but we are going to have to keep a lot of players hungry and ensure they are ready to step up when called upon during the year which will be a good challenge for our coaching group.

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Caught the majority of the game and pretty pleased with what I saw.

Highlights
Tom Campbell
Toby McLean
Caleb Daniel
Matt Suckling

All players who weren't significant last year who will add a lot.

Koby showed how important he is for us and how much we need him fit for the business end of the season.

Collins and Adams showed a few glimpses. Liked Adams taking a good intercept mark (cannot recall the quarter) but it showed he has some tools that mean he can make the grade whilst having some areas of improvement.

Wallis, Stringer, JJ, Bont, Macrae, Hunter etc all showed they are primed to continue their good form from 2015.

Concerns
Roughead, still hasn't quite hit the mark but figure he will get more opportunities.
The fact that we have quite a few key players to fit in, Liberatore, Boydx2, Redpath, Murphy (limited game time). Good concern to have, but we are going to have to keep a lot of players hungry and ensure they are ready to step up when called upon during the year which will be a good challenge for our coaching group.

I was thinking about this. We put a strong side out in NAB week one and said we'd put a less strong side in week two. I can't see that it will be a really weak side though. As you say there are a few good players to come back.

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Caleb Daniel was crisp with his ball use. He's looking like he's going to hit the ground running.

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Salmon

There another one too but I can't think of him.

Eastdog
26-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Caleb Daniel was crisp with his ball use. He's looking like he's going to hit the ground running.

What a great pick up he was in the draft looking back now. Really excited to see him in action this season. Libba and Macrae in the middle = Dangerous along with Bont, Wallis etc.

Stringer and Boyd = dangerous attack

I posted before he another thread somewhere that the ruck fight will be fascinating. Campbell was very good last night as well as Minson.

Should we just groom Roughy for our full back position?

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 09:00 PM
What a great pick up he was in the draft looking back now. Really excited to see him in action this season. Libba and Macrae in the middle = Dangerous along with Bont, Wallis etc.

I posted before he another thread somewhere that the ruck fight will be fascinating. Campbell was very good last night as well as Minson.

Picking footballers who can play football in the draft is the new black.

Eastdog
26-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Picking footballers who can play football in the draft is the new black.

I have more of feeling our recruiters have got it right this time.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2016, 09:18 PM
I was thinking about this. We put a strong side out in NAB week one and said we'd put a less strong side in week two. I can't see that it will be a really weak side though. As you say there are a few good players to come back.

The VFL won't be much of a competition if our list stays fit, we have the depth across most lines now to win comfortably each week. It's almost like the 90's Australian cricket sides when we had an 'A' side, 'Western Bulldogs A' would give a few sides a very good run for their money.

F'scary
26-02-2016, 09:41 PM

The MC will have to give this some serious thought. He has played some good games there but looks vulnerable against mobile, leading forwards like J Rievoldt or Cameron. With Morris in the BP, could be a good double act to cover the different types of KPFs.

Twodogs
26-02-2016, 10:41 PM
The VFL won't be much of a competition if our list stays fit, we have the depth across most lines now to win comfortably each week. It's almost like the 90's Australian cricket sides when we had an 'A' side, 'Western Bulldogs A' would give a few sides a very good run for their money.

If one of our ruckman can impose himself on games all through the season then I agree. We have to have a productive ruckman. Tom Campbell is showing all the right indications. Hopefully he can walk the walk.

bornadog
27-02-2016, 12:12 AM
There another one too but I can't think of him.

Welsh

Twodogs
27-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Welsh

Of course. It's a fair line up of tall talent with 8 blokes who'd walk into most teams. And proved it by walking into a lot of other teams.

Remi Moses
27-02-2016, 02:26 AM
Agree with a lot what posters have said
Daniel - just his decision making is first class
McLean - look to continue last years form
Suckling - will be weapon in a good side
Stevens- was outstanding. Just showed how much we missed him last year.
JJ - thought he was BOG
Adams - showed a bit, but needs to brush up on his decision making and execution .
Collins - loved his efforts
Minson- better left foot than right
Overall a good hit out
Big thumbs down for Dermie GWS Brereton and for Johnno for getting sucked into his lazy nonchelant special comments .
Thought Tristan Foenander was decent
If I want comedy I'll put it on their Fox News channel

Remi Moses
27-02-2016, 02:33 AM
Thought Hrovat was excellent also .
Gee we've got some depth.
Exciting times

Go_Dogs
27-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Thought Hrovat was excellent also .
Gee we've got some depth.
Exciting times

Seems the Rat will get an opportunity to cement a spot early in the year if Thursday's team selection is anything to go by. Will be interesting to see how he progresses this season, but no reason why he can't become an important piece of our forward/midfield rotation and likely to be a player who benefits from the reduced I/C cap.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2016, 11:46 AM

A year we had Street and Bandy we were listed as the tallest.

GVGjr
27-02-2016, 11:47 AM
A year we had Street and Bandy we were listed as the tallest.

I think we also added Adam Morgan that year.

Eastdog
27-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Bont and Macrae from what I saw both are set for big years.

F'scary
27-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Good to see the Rat in form. With the changes to the interchange rules, choosing extra smalls who can run all day over the 21st and 22nd picked big beefy guys could become a trend.

merantau
27-02-2016, 07:58 PM
This will be my 60th season supporting the Dogs so my optimism is rusted on. There have been some years when my optimism has been a veneer papering over the cracks in, what in my heart of hearts, I knew to be a severely compromised unit. Compromised too often by lack of depth. Rarely compromised by lack of passion or effort, often falling victim to the cruel hand of fate but always backing up to have another go.
But this year is different. We have the depth to cope with whatever is put in front of us. We are young and hungry. We have a strong administration and an excellent coach and support team.
This year we will continue our climb up the mountain each step taking us closer to the promised land. We have the general and the troops to lead us there - let's get on board.

LostDoggy
27-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Anyone know what the amount of interchange rotations were?
Watching bits of the Port v Melb game today,Melb had almost double then what Port had so it's no wonder they won easily.

bornadog
27-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Anyone know what the amount of interchange rotations were?
Watching bits of the Port v Melb game today,Melb had almost double then what Port had so it's no wonder they won easily.

I checked the stats and they haven't reported the interchanges.

kruder
27-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Really liking the development of Biggs. Obviously he provides good run and his neat kicking is handy most of the time but I think as a defender he is much better than I thought. It will be interesting to see if he gets a game round one, I reckon he is fighting for the final few spots in the 22.

1eyedog
27-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Really liking the development of Biggs. Obviously he provides good run and his neat kicking is handy most of the time but I think as a defender he is much better than I thought. It will be interesting to see if he gets a game round one, I reckon he is fighting for the final few spots in the 22.

Agreed. I like how he can get forward and slot a long goal too.

1eyedog
27-02-2016, 11:46 PM
I checked the stats and they haven't reported the interchanges.

I thought we'd had 90 and GWS had 140. We went in short on numbers and ran the same amount of rotations as what we will see this season as a bit of a template.

jeemak
27-02-2016, 11:54 PM
I'd love to see Biggs turn his defencive side into a strength. At 24 and having been in the system for some time he along with JJ are ripe for taking over responsibility from Boyd and Murphy across half back.

He got an exceptional run at it last year, and when Suckling was recruited I was a touch concerned about him being a titch exposed because of his defencive abilities, so it will be interesting to see how he improves this year and next.

If he and JJ get those abilities to somewhere near where Lindsay Gilbee was then they'll play their attacking game in a more confident manner. I found with each of them last year some of their execution with the ball seemed to be second of mind when it should have been their strength, and this to me was a symptom of not being well rounded as attacking defenders because their defencive games needed improvement.

Dry Rot
28-02-2016, 12:53 AM
This will be my 60th season supporting the Dogs so my optimism is rusted on. There have been some years when my optimism has been a veneer papering over the cracks in, what in my heart of hearts, I knew to be a severely compromised unit. Compromised too often by lack of depth. Rarely compromised by lack of passion or effort, often falling victim to the cruel hand of fate but always backing up to have another go.
But this year is different. We have the depth to cope with whatever is put in front of us. We are young and hungry. We have a strong administration and an excellent coach and support team.
This year we will continue our climb up the mountain each step taking us closer to the promised land. We have the general and the troops to lead us there - let's get on board.

Cool travelling bio mate. Impressive.

https://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau/about.aspx

Twodogs
28-02-2016, 01:24 AM

I'm impressed with how well he defends even on taller players. One of Gilbee's great strengths was his one on one defending. Boggs reminds me a bit of Gilbee defending. He's not quite the same kicking level though. He's good but there was only one Lindsay Gilbee.

hujsh
28-02-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm impressed with how well he defends even on taller players. One of Gilbee's great strengths was his one on one defending. Boggs reminds me a bit of Gilbee defending. He's not quite the same kicking level though. He's good but there was only one Lindsay Gilbee.

Did we recruit Wade Boggs?

bulldogtragic
28-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Did we recruit Wade Boggs?

Boggs from Shawshank Redemption maybe?

kruder
28-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Yeah like the Gilbee defensive comparison, something he can work towards. I just think his ability to defend on talls and smalls gets him a spot in the 22 particularly with our shaky defence. On an aside, is Biggs the smallest looking 187cm player you have ever seen? He looks tiny from the grandstand.

EasternWest
28-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Cool travelling bio mate. Impressive.

https://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau/about.aspx

That's one buff 63 year old. I'm jealous!

lemmon
28-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Having my first look at the game now and the stand-out thing for me is how well we've done to find so many 'efficient' users of the footy through the midfield. Bobby, Suckling and co will break the game open but Stevens, Macrae and Wallis who aren't particularly good users of the footy all look to be playing more within their limits and spotting the short option. Dahlhaus is probably the biggest culprit in terms of wasting the footy because the majority he gets is either in tight around the stoppage or kicking at top pace.

Our ball movement looks a class above GWS' which is seriously exciting for February.

LostDoggy
28-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Having my first look at the game now and the stand-out thing for me is how well we've done to find so many 'efficient' users of the footy through the midfield. Bobby, Suckling and co will break the game open but Stevens, Macrae and Wallis who aren't particularly good users of the footy all look to be playing more within their limits and spotting the short option. Dahlhaus is probably the biggest culprit in terms of wasting the footy because the majority he gets is either in tight around the stoppage or kicking at top pace.

Our ball movement looks a class above GWS' which is seriously exciting for February.

Just to add to that, I heard Chris Connelly say yesterday that, of all the NAB games played so far, the Bulldogs have had the noticeably superior ball movement of all teams to play.

It was noticeable on the stats table that our disposal efficiency percentages were very high, with Daniel, Suckling and Murphy going at 100% - it's very rare to see 3 players from 1 team record double digit possessions at 100%. Early days but very encouraging.

F'scary
28-02-2016, 02:21 PM
McLean and Daniel look to be excellent users of the ball. There should be a mention of Macrae in this context, his handballing under pressure is a pleasure to watch.

GVGjr
28-02-2016, 02:49 PM
McLean and Daniel look to be excellent users of the ball. There should be a mention of Macrae in this context, his handballing under pressure is a pleasure to watch.

Agreed, he seems to have set himself the task of improving his 'inside mid' skills this season. As you say his handballing under pressure against the Giants was worth a mention.

stefoid
28-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Just to add to that, I heard Chris Connelly say yesterday that, of all the NAB games played so far, the Bulldogs have had the noticeably superior ball movement of all teams to play.

It was noticeable on the stats table that our disposal efficiency percentages were very high, with Daniel, Suckling and Murphy going at 100% - it's very rare to see 3 players from 1 team record double digit possessions at 100%. Early days but very encouraging.

\14 marks inside 50 is a good stat. Could have easily been 16 or 17 given the sitters we dropped, which is very high.

Ghost Dog
28-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Well, one advantage of being short, your ball drop has less room for error. Hrovat seems to be a good user of the ball too. Great to see him looking happy and loving his footy. He has a huge pack breathing down his neck for a slot. Expect some good improvement.

comrade
28-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I loved the McLean fly but even better was his recovery to pick the ball up at ground level, then fire an under pressure hand ball to advantage to keep the play moving.

Kid has it.

SonofScray
28-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I loved the McLean fly but even better was his recovery to pick the ball up at ground level, then fire an under pressure hand ball to advantage to keep the play moving.

Kid has it.

That was a terrific bit of play full of skill and swagger.

LostDoggy
28-02-2016, 09:38 PM
\14 marks inside 50 is a good stat. Could have easily been 16 or 17 given the sitters we dropped, which is very high.

True. I think that is also a reflection of how well we moved the ball. The player bringing the ball into the 50 often had options everywhere. Low intensity of a practice match helped, but still very promising.

Twodogs
29-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Kid has it.

That was a terrific bit of play full of skill and swagger.

Yep. Fantastic stuff for the kid to have that much presence of mind so early in the season and his career. Its going to be fun watching him develop.