PDA

View Full Version : Grassroots campaign 2016

Ghost Dog
23-02-2016, 05:19 PM
The purpose of this thread, to discuss grassroots ideas to help the club- as per the march to the G last year.
It's not what your club can do for you, but what can you do for the club?

I'd like to have a Bulldogs Art exhibition. Most footy art is pretty pedestrian and ocker.
A great exhibit of prints, etchings, and photography of our great club.
Why does fine art have to continually thumb its nose at AFL, an important aspect of our culture?
Auction some off, raise some money, speech by a former great, snacks, Yarraville art space etc.

Twodogs
23-02-2016, 05:37 PM
I want to curate an exhibition at the bulldog museum about our VFA history. Find the flags and awards and trophies and let people see them.

bornadog
23-02-2016, 05:44 PM
I want to curate an exhibition at the bulldog museum about our VFA history. Find the flags and awards and trophies and let people see them.

We don't pay much attention to this era, which in my opinion was a pretty good comp and about a similar standard to the breakaway VFL at the time. Remember, Richmond, North, Hawks as well as us were in the VFA, before the defection of Richmond. The VFL were only 8 teams, with Collingwood a new team, Uni Blues not competitive, so standard of games close.

Twodogs
23-02-2016, 08:06 PM
We don't pay much attention to this era, which in my opinion was a pretty good comp and about a similar standard to the breakaway VFL at the time. Remember, Richmond, North, Hawks as well as us were in the VFA, before the defection of Richmond. The VFL were only 8 teams, with Collingwood a new team, Uni Blues not competitive, so standard of games close.

I have raided Trove and downloaded nearly 200 match reports from various newspapers from the premiership years. I am on 1913 at the moment. The match reports are really exhaustive descriptions of the games with kick by kick accounts of the play. I guess they didn't have replays or radio commentary so these were the next best thing.

LostDoggy
23-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I have raided Trove and downloaded nearly 200 match reports from various newspapers from the premiership years. I am on 1913 at the moment. The match reports are really exhaustive descriptions of the games with kick by kick accounts of the play. I guess they didn't have replays or radio commentary so these were the next best thing.
Bringing back bad memories there TD. In my HSC year I did my major assignment for the year on 19th century Footscray Football Club (much to the amusement of classmates), from the earliest beginnings to the turn of the century. Ended up running to over 60 pages. This was pre-internet 1980's so spent many a long hour at the State Library pouring over old newspaper reports through a microfiche machine (anyone remember those).

Twodogs
23-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Bringing back bad memories there TD. In my HSC year I did my major assignment for the year on 19th century Footscray Football Club (much to the amusement of classmates), from the earliest beginnings to the turn of the century. Ended up running to over 60 pages. This was pre-internet 1980's so spent many a long hour at the State Library pouring over old newspaper reports through a microfiche machine (anyone remember those).

Spent many a school holiday in the state library looking up old footy scores. And playing the noughts and crosses machine when it was the only thing close to a computer game in the country.

SonofScray
28-02-2016, 02:50 AM
I harp on about this but home made flags and banners right around the ground need to make a return. Want to see some art and creative expression in the stands.

Twodogs
28-02-2016, 02:58 AM
I harp on about this but home made flags and banners right around the ground need to make a return. Want to see some art and creative expression in the stands.

What about at Footscray game's first? Set the scene, get people wanting more.

Ghost Dog
28-02-2016, 03:24 PM

That's a really good point.
Suggest also it's time for a remix of sons of the west. Something with a bit of bass in it. Might not catch on but it might inspire some younger supporters.

comrade
28-02-2016, 04:54 PM

I like the Koby 'Shark Eyes' Stevens one getting around in the cheer squad.

Ghost Dog
29-02-2016, 08:20 PM
We really have not had a successor to the people's beard scarf. I know the club doesn't like it, making more of an individual, but that's all the more reason to come up with something.

azabob
29-02-2016, 08:30 PM
The whole grassroots movement isn't my style, but I agree with Twodogs that whatever occurs should start at the VFL.

What Is more grassroots than watching Footscray at The Whitten Oval?

Eastdog
29-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Love the banner you have SOS. You certainly don't see that around these days every much.

Twodogs
29-02-2016, 10:41 PM
The whole grassroots movement isn't my style, but I agree with Twodogs that whatever occurs should start at the VFL.

What Is more grassroots than watching Footscray at The Whitten Oval?

When you think about it now Whitten oval is like a blank canvas just waiting for match day ideas. The footy is such a recent return and the popularity has caught them out a bit, I think the club thought the only people would come would be like the track watchers from training and a few tragically. But the attendances have been pretty high. We should take it on ourselves to add a bit of colour on match day.

There is some bare fencing around the ground, isn't there?

SonofScray
01-03-2016, 12:18 AM
I am waiting on a Dominican Republic flag to be delivered which will get a bit of a makeover when I iron on a stencil of EJ in the middle and if time permits a fence banner that reads "shop early." Most weeks this will see me get hassled by security even if it doesn't cover advertising but It is happening regardless.

Twodogs
01-03-2016, 12:32 AM
I am waiting on a Dominican Republic flag to be delivered which will get a bit of a makeover when I iron on a stencil of EJ in the middle and if time permits a fence banner that reads "shop early." Most weeks this will see me get hassled by security even if it doesn't cover advertising but It is happening regardless.

Great stuff. We should organise groups of us to run interference if we see security looking to closely at the signs.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
We need the big bulldog that used to be on the Whitten stand back

Ghost Dog
01-03-2016, 08:27 PM

SOS, have I every told you I love your work? Shop Early! yes, the alternative to Cede Nullis.

SonofScray
26-03-2016, 10:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CedxZ6EWEAAxg_X.jpg
My logo/carciature hasn't quite worked as planned, but we're going with this for 2016 anyway.

Eastdog
26-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Love it SOS! Do you wear your mask sometimes at the games :)