PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Roughead - Full Back role or nearly out of chances

Eastdog
01-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Thought I'd make a thread about him as he was quite dissapointing last Thursday night. Should we be going in the direction of priming him for the full back position or is he nearly out of chances. Campbell you would say will be battling Minson for the ruck and Campbell can also be very effective up forward.

Our midfield has show much quality and talent that it will scare other teams (Libba and eventually hopefully a full recovered Clay Smith to return) and our forward line is a lot more potent than before (just need to get better at goalkicking).

LostDoggy
01-03-2016, 07:12 PM
I wonder if there is a place on a list these days for a tall utility. I see Roberts and Collins vying for our conventional full back role, but Roughy helping out/filling in when the opposition specifically have a 200cm+ deep option, other times he plays (when form sees him as best 22) as an interchange 2nd ruckman come occasional forward as opportunity dictates.

Like everyone else, Roughy will be given very opportunity, but at 25 you do feel he needs to start firmly nailing his opportunities and making a role his. His body seems to be as right as it has been for a while, so hopefully he can build some confidence and some consistent form.

I feel Roughy is currently front runner to replace Grant/Ayce as the fans' whipping boy. I hope this doesn't eventuate, he is by all accounts a ripping bloke and well respected amongst the squad.

Bulldog4life
01-03-2016, 07:52 PM
My biggest concern with Roughy is his durability in the ruck.He seems to go off nearly every match in some sort of pain from a knock. He is also not a reliable kick for goal at all. To me Roughy should be in the backline playing against the other sides monsters. If there are no monsters he misses out that week.

Eastdog
01-03-2016, 08:21 PM
It will be interesting to see what Bevo does here. Players like Collins, Hamling and Biggs will start competing with him now for defensive roles. Roberts I hope has a good 2016 and also would love to see more of what Lukas Webb can do.

Don't want to get too off the topic of the thread but speaking of backline
How about Dunkley? Do we see him play more in defence or up the ground as he can play various roles.

always right
01-03-2016, 08:56 PM
It will be interesting to see what Bevo does here. Players like Collins, Hamling and Biggs will start competing with him now for defensive roles. Roberts I hope has a good 2016 and also would love to see more of what Lukas Webb can do.

Don't want to get too off the topic of the thread but speaking of backline
How about Dunkley? Do we see him play more in defence or up the ground as he can play various roles.

Don't go off topic Easty.

Eastdog
01-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Don't go off topic Easty.

Yep this is specifically about Jordan Roughead.

F'scary
01-03-2016, 09:10 PM
There will be heaps of opportunities for all sorts of roles this year for Roughead. If he is fit, I could see him being selected for every game. I say this because having thought about it a bit, I suspect that he will be first choice for either FB/BP or CHB. And can take a turn in the ruck.

LostDoggy
01-03-2016, 11:11 PM
My biggest worry about Jordan is that he's not his cousin.

Unfortunately.

ratsmac
01-03-2016, 11:11 PM
I know Roughy had a stinker the other night against GWS, everyone has off days. But it wasn't too long ago (round 22, 2015) when he played ruck for pretty much the whole game against Goldstein and while the stats would say Goldstein won the duel, Goldy had zero influence on the game.

I wouldn't be writing off Roughead competing for the no.1 ruck position just yet. Like others have mentioned it might come down to his body holding up. When Roughy is up and running he is a good player around the ground who can hold his marks, which this is an area of which Minson and Campbell can struggle and an area that Bevo likes. He isn't the fastest bloke when playing full back trying to chase down leads but I reckon he would be able stay with most ruckman bar a few. I think he's a handy player to have around especially when there might be a lot of ruckman resting forward with the interchange cap reductions this year.

The Doctor
02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
I think people get too carried away when a player doesn't perform to their expectations. I think Roughy will be an excellent number 1 ruck and he showed that several times last season despite not really training for the position. He just needs to develop some confidence in his body that it will stand up to the rigours of AFL ruckwork. I'd would like however to see a little more agggression in his general play.

I see him resting in defence rather than forward as we don't have super tall timber down back to take on resting ruckmen going forward for the opposition.

Mantis
02-03-2016, 09:59 AM
I think people get too carried away when a player doesn't perform to their expectations. I think Roughy will be an excellent number 1 ruck and he showed that several times last season despite not really training for the position. He just needs to develop some confidence in his body that it will stand up to the rigours of AFL ruckwork. I'd would like however to see a little more agggression in his general play.

I see him resting in defence rather than forward as we don't have super tall timber down back to take on resting ruckmen going forward for the opposition.

I can't agree that his body will stand up to the rigours of an AFL ruckman, his shoulders aren't great and it seems that after every 'hard' contest that he is the last one to his feet and generally left in the hands of trainers. Whilst he is probably our most skilled big man in terms general play and ruck work I can't see him playing this role on a regular basis.

I see him as a BP against the resting ruck/ tall forward that pinch hits in the ruck or he doesn't play... His forward work is poor and there are 3 or 4 others ahead of him in this role.

Mofra
02-03-2016, 10:13 AM
I see him as a tall utility able to fill in anywhere on the ground - the issue is we may not utilize a player like that (there is a little bit of Everitt about him).

Have we ruined his development by throwing him around everywhere? He is certainly a player whom, if not best 22, you'd do anything to keep on the list because when injuries strike he can fill a role anywhere. Right now I'm not sure he is best 22 though.

stefoid
02-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Fletch is 197, but resting Roughy back is an interesting idea.

FWIW against GWS he went off after a shot to the nads. Fair enuf I reckon.

Ozza
03-03-2016, 10:04 AM
I can't agree that his body will stand up to the rigours of an AFL ruckman, his shoulders aren't great and it seems that after every 'hard' contest that he is the last one to his feet and generally left in the hands of trainers. Whilst he is probably our most skilled big man in terms general play and ruck work I can't see him playing this role on a regular basis.

I see him as a BP against the resting ruck/ tall forward that pinch hits in the ruck or he doesn't play... His forward work is poor and there are 3 or 4 others ahead of him in this role.

Yep, agree.

I don't want to hear any more about how he can play stints in the forward line.

azabob
04-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Yep, agree.

I don't want to hear any more about how he can play stints in the forward line.

What about in the oppositions forward line?

Ozza
04-03-2016, 09:42 AM
What about in the oppositions forward line?

That's fine.

LostDoggy
04-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Roughead has all the attributes to hecome a good footballer, he might need some time in the 2s to get se confidence.

Eastdog
05-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Roughead has all the attributes to hecome a good footballer, he might need some time in the 2s to get se confidence.

Yes that could help him potentially as you say to get him some confidence. I hope he has a good year and will be interesting to see what role(s) Bevo will give him. As Mofra I believe said he could play in almost any area on the ground and could be very useful.

Hotdog60
05-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Tend to agree Mantis, Roughy has enough talent but the question mark is on his body.

1eyedog
06-03-2016, 10:20 AM
I know Roughy had a stinker the other night against GWS, everyone has off days. But it wasn't too long ago (round 22, 2015) when he played ruck for pretty much the whole game against Goldstein and while the stats would say Goldstein won the duel, Goldy had zero influence on the game.

I wouldn't be writing off Roughead competing for the no.1 ruck position just yet. Like others have mentioned it might come down to his body holding up. When Roughy is up and running he is a good player around the ground who can hold his marks, which this is an area of which Minson and Campbell can struggle and an area that Bevo likes. He isn't the fastest bloke when playing full back trying to chase down leads but I reckon he would be able stay with most ruckman bar a few. I think he's a handy player to have around especially when there might be a lot of ruckman resting forward with the interchange cap reductions this year.

And broke down in the same match and that is problem - cyclical breakdowns when he ups his workload. I think it was his finger this time which kept him out of our first final.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Easton Wood was in his third year with us when people started to doubt if he has a body cut out for AFL. He's had a good run since.

chef
06-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Dont see him in our best 22. He will still play a fair bit and will be handy depth

Edit. Just did my best 22 and he's in there:p

Ghost Dog
27-03-2016, 09:29 PM
The "Roughissance" begins. "Jordan played extremely well, and really led the way in there, jumped over the top. Really encouraging for him." says Bevo. The Ballarat Bulldog for a sneaky Brownlow?

BulldogBelle
27-03-2016, 09:35 PM
I think the plan was always to get Roughy into the ruck. He was recruited as a ruckman, and we drafted Adams and Collins to release him out of the backline. He'll be first choice all year unless he gets hurt.

comrade
27-03-2016, 11:12 PM
The "Roughissance" begins. "Jordan played extremely well, and really led the way in there, jumped over the top. Really encouraging for him." says Bevo. The Ballarat Bulldog for a sneaky Brownlow?

He held his own with the best ruckman going around in Goldstein late last year, so his most recent ruck performances have been promising.

Just need to get game time into him and see what happens. The Roughy/Boyd combo could be a goer.

soupman
28-03-2016, 12:21 AM
Most athletic and pain free he has looked for a while. One of the most pleasing aspects of today. Wasn't expecting such a good performance from him.

comrade
28-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Just watching some of the footage again (tragic!), and Roughy was just jumping over the top of the Freo guys and rucking to our advantage.

Looked every bit of a legitimate first ruckman.

Bevo obviously rates his athleticism and his ability to fit into our system. Just need to cross our fingers and hope he stays fit, which is his biggest question mark.

One thing is for sure; keep him well away from the backline, we've got the cattle available to us that makes him surplus down there.

LostDoggy
28-03-2016, 10:11 PM
He held his own with the best ruckman going around in Goldstein late last year, so his most recent ruck performances have been promising.

Just need to get game time into him and see what happens. The Roughy/Boyd combo could be a goer.

Like the mobility and flexibility that both give us.
Just keep Rough away from the Mens Department-No longer required.

Ghost Dog
03-04-2016, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZs3Ngbe5zs

Nice little highlight clip of Jordan at 1:46. Looking great two games in a row. Probably offering the most around the ground out of our three ruck options, which is a little surprising! My unbridled Roughy adulation is justified.

comrade
03-04-2016, 05:05 PM
If he can stand up as an AFL quality ruckman, it's such a massive bonus. He's no Natanui in the athletic stakes, but he's better than most and fits in to our system nicely.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 05:07 PM
If he can stand up as an AFL quality ruckman, it's such a massive bonus. He's no Natanui in the athletic stakes, but he's better than most and fits in to our system nicely.

He is more athletic than Minson and Campbell.

comrade
05-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Watching the replay, he gets into good spots around the ground and is pretty adept at being the link up player, distributing the ball to a better option.

We should also go long to him in a one on one contest. Has always been good in a contested situation.

Have everything crossed that he stays fit.

Sedat
05-04-2016, 12:59 AM
Watching the replay, he gets into good spots around the ground and is pretty adept at being the link up player, distributing the ball to a better option.
This is where he has a huge advantage over both Campbell and Minson, and the way the modern game is going this year has accentuated this skill set even more.

Sedat
05-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Double post