PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge Game 2 v Melbourne, 6 March 2016 at Craigieburn

bornadog
02-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Sunday 6 March, 2.05pm

2:05pm – Western Bulldogs v Melbourne

Women’s Exhibition Match
5:00pm – Western Bulldogs v Melbourne

Venue
Highgate Recreation Reserve is located at 229 Grand Boulevard, Craigieburn.

Broadcast
TV: Fox Footy 2:00pm (AEST)
Radio: TBC

General Public Tickets
Adult: $20
Children 6-14 years: $5
Concession: $15
Family of 4 (2 Ad & 2 Ch) (Admits 4): $40
Family of 5 (2 Ad & 3 Ch) (Admits 5): $40
Family of 6 (2 Ad & 4 Ch) (Admits 6): $40
Access members will be able to scan in with their 2016 membership card subject to capacity.

bornadog
02-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Tom Boyd and Tom Libba set to Play (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tom-boyd-tom-liberatore-set-to-return-for-western-bulldogs-20160301-gn7kvb.html)

Key forward Tom Boyd and midfielder Tom Liberatore are expected to officially step out for the first time this season when the Western Bulldogs face Melbourne on Sunday.

Boyd and Liberatore were rested from the Bulldogs' opening NAB Challenge clash against Greater Western Sydney because of light "knocks".

The Dogs had also lifted the training loads of the pair in the four previous weeks and had felt it was best to ease off.

As was the case last season in their second NAB Challenge clash, the Dogs are likely to take a young side, before several of their senior players have one final hit-out against Collingwood at Etihad Stadium on March 12.

This may mean Josh Dunkley, the son of former Swans defender Andrew Dunkley, plays his first match, while Declan Hamilton, the club's only 2014 draftee not to debut in 2015, has a run. Hamilton is classy midfielder, who has Darren and Andrew Jarman as his famous uncles.

There will be great focus on Boyd this season, for he will be the Dogs' highest paid player, earning about $1 million. Having joined the Dogs as part of a trade with Ryan Griffen, he booted 16 goals in 14 matches last season but did not play after round 16.

Boyd was in superb touch in a recent intra-club clash, where he moved swiftly and dominated inside 50.

AFL great Wayne Carey recently said Boyd was ready for a breakout season.

Liberatore had been in strong form through the summer, having recovered from a knee reconstruction. His rugged work as an inside midfielder will be important if the Dogs are to maintain their running game.

Teammate Nathan Hrovat, who played only seven matches last season and is off contract this season, said Liberatore's return was akin to having a boom recruit.

"It was devastating when Tommy went down last year. Having him back ... it's almost like having a No.1 draft pick," Hrovat said on Radio Sport National.

"He brings a competitive, hard edge to the midfield."

The clash against the Demons will also contribute to the debate over who should be the starting ruckman come the home-and-away season opener against Fremantle. Jordan Roughead, Will Minson and Tom Campbell are jostling for the role, and there wasn't a stand-out against the Giants in the 31-point win.

Mofra
02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Boyd was in superb touch in a recent intra-club clash, where he moved swiftly and dominated inside 50.
Gawd

bornadog
02-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Gawd

Yeah I thought he didn't play

ledge
02-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Brad Boyd If Dermie was watching and calling.

craigsahibee
02-03-2016, 02:57 PM

It's frightening that these so called journalists are not held to be accountable for their obvious errors.

Templeton31
02-03-2016, 05:35 PM
It's frightening that these so called journalists are not held to be accountable for their obvious errors.

I prefer to believe the bs I know he's preaching!

ratsmac
03-03-2016, 01:11 AM

Was there an intra club match that we don't know about?

Greystache
03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Was there an intra club match that we don't know about?

Not that I know of. I imagine he's mistaking Boyd for Redpath, who was very impressive in the intra-club.

Templeton31
03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Not that I know of. I imagine he's mistaking Boyd for Redpath, who was very impressive in the intra-club.

Suckling said in an interview on Pride of the West (radio segment with Tony Leonard and Plough thats on Dogs website) that they had some match play a week and half ago (interview was Monday this week) and in a short period (can't remember 15mins?) Boyd ripped down 4-5 contested marks and kicked 3 goals. Journo may have got it from that.

LostDoggy
03-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Suckling said in an interview on Pride of the West (radio segment with Tony Leonard and Plough thats on Dogs website) that they had some match play a week and half ago (interview was Monday this week) and in a short period (can't remember 15mins?) Boyd ripped down 4-5 contested marks and kicked 3 goals. Journo may have got it from that.
Thanks for that T31. I listened to that also, but couldn't remember where I'd heard it.

Greystache
03-03-2016, 11:19 AM

That's great news then.

Axe Man
03-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Squads:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
3. Mitch Wallis, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 11. Jack Macrae, 12. Zaine Cordy, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 17. Tom Boyd, 18. Fletcher Roberts, 19. Lukas Webb, 20. Josh Dunkley, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 26. Declan Hamilton, 27. Will Minson, 28. Josh Prudden, 30. Joel Hamling, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Kieran Collins, 33. Marcus Adams, 34. Bailey Williams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 36. Brad Lynch, 40. Luke Goetz, 43. Jack Redpath, 44. Jed Adcock, 46. Lin Jong

Notable absentees: Robert Murphy, Jake Stringer, Marcus Bontempelli, Tory Dickson

MELBOURNE
2. Nathan Jones, 3. Christian Salem, 4. Jack Watts, 7. Jack Viney, 11. Max Gawn, 12. Dom Tyson, 13. Clayton Oliver, 14. Lynden Dunn, 15. Billy Stretch, 16. Dean Kent, 17. Sam Frost, 20. Colin Garland, 21. Cameron Pedersen, 22. Viv Michie, 23. Bernie Vince, 25. Tom McDonald, 28. Oscar McDonald, 29. Jayden Hunt, 30. Alex Neal-Bullen, 31. Jack Grimes, 32. Tomas Bugg, 35. Ben Kennedy, 36. Jeff Garlett, 37. Aaron vandenBerg, 39. Neville Jetta, 42. Josh Wagner, 43. James Harmes, 45. Matt Jones, 46. Dean Terlich

Notable absentees: Jesse Hogan, Heritier Lumumba, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw

The Western Bulldogs have included 17 new-faces from the team that secured a NAB Challenge victory over the Giants last week for Sunday’s match against Melbourne.

Amongst the inclusions for the Bulldogs’ second NAB Challenge fixture, is Tom Liberatore, who will make his first senior appearance since injuring his knee last year.

Power forward Tom Boyd, and draftees Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, Brad Lynch and Luke Goetz are all in line to play their first game in Bulldogs colours.

Senior players Jack Redpath, Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling have also been named in the squad, alongside rookie Jed Adcock.

11 senior team regulars will not take part in Sunday’s preseason match.

Those to be watching on from the stands include the podium from last year’s Sutton Medal – Easton Wood, Robert Murpy and Marcus Bontempelli.

Also to sit out the match will be All Australian forward Jake Stringer, Lachie Hunter, Tory Dickson, Jason Johannisen, ETC

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-03/young-dogs-to-face-demons)

LostDoggy
03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Poor Wood, All Australian and doesn't rate a mention as a notable absentee!

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Squad still looks pretty good, even without all those names missing. Starting to see some quality depth at the club, the best I've ever seen. Pretty intrigued for this game.

Mantis
03-03-2016, 03:03 PM
I think I'm more interested in seeing how this side goes in comparison to last weeks match... The development of the fringe types is crucial to our success into the future.

The team at present looks a little unbalanced with 5 KPD's (if you include Cordy) and 4 rucks so look forward to seeing who drops out of the squad.

Templeton31
03-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Will be interesting. Nearly all players we think will get games this year but without many of the 'pillars' of the side holding them together and pointing in the right direction (murph, wood, bont, dale, jake etc).

LostDoggy
03-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Having all 3 Rucks back up would indicate that they really don't know yet which way to go and are giving all options every possible chance.

Cyberdoggie
03-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I think I'm more interested in seeing how this side goes in comparison to last weeks match... The development of the fringe types is crucial to our success into the future.

The team at present looks a little unbalanced with 5 KPD's (if you include Cordy) and 4 rucks so look forward to seeing who drops out of the squad.

Yeah not sure where 5 key defender can play plus 3 rucks plus 2 key forwards.
That's a very big side.

I'm guessing there will be some heavy rotating/ mix n matching. Maybe half games for some.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Yeah not sure where 5 key defender can play plus 3 rucks plus 2 key forwards.
That's a very big side.

I'm guessing there will be some heavy rotating/ mix n matching. Maybe half games for some.

It is only a squad at this stage.

ledge
03-03-2016, 07:38 PM
After seeing this Goetz kid in the intra club club match I seriously think he will surprise a few in his first year and could be a very good player in the future , he can mark lead and kick goals even this early in his career.

GVGjr
03-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Having all 3 Rucks back up would indicate that they really don't know yet which way to go and are giving all options every possible chance.

Maybe but I think it's also has a lot to do with finding a balance for playing a taller forward line.

F'scary
03-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to how the Wood Chopper and Big Boyd combo goes. IMO, could be the key to making the top 4.

kruder
03-03-2016, 11:08 PM
grabbed this list for a quick ref point from bf

Not playing: Suckling, Murphy, Bontempelli, Hunter, Stringer, Wood, Biggs, Stevens, Dickson, Morris, Johannisen, Picken.

All a lock for round one?

azabob
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Not playing: Suckling, Murphy, Bontempelli, Hunter, Stringer, Wood, Biggs, Stevens, Dickson, Morris, Johannisen, Picken.

You would think so. Biggs may be the only question mark.

bornadog
04-03-2016, 09:56 AM
You would think so. Biggs may be the only question mark.

Biggs is best 22 for mine.

kruder
04-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Biggs is best 22 for mine.

If you were running a book he definitely firms off the back of this. I agree, he will play round 1 and his form suggests he should.

LostDoggy
04-03-2016, 12:42 PM

Most are best 22 no brainers, a couple are NAB3 locks and will play R1 form dependant.

Ghost Dog
04-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Also brings some finals experience, which is surprising since he didn't play many games at the Swans. Reading he also has a bit of mid-field experience, good for injury cover.

F'scary
04-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Biggs and Hunter made a massive improvement to our team when they became regulars in the second half of 2015. They both know how to find heaps of the ball and use it.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Sydney were a bit silly to let him go. He would be a walk up start in their team at the moment. They must have too many smaller defenders I guess.

Sydney didn't want to lose him. It was more that we offered him both exposure and $$ - two of which Sydney couldn't at the time.

Sedat
04-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Sydney didn't want to lose him. It was more that we offered him both exposure and $$ - two of which Sydney couldn't at the time.
He was collateral damage from the Bondi Billionaires ;)

craigsahibee
04-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Squad still looks pretty good, even without all those names missing. Starting to see some quality depth at the club, the best I've ever seen. Pretty intrigued for this game.

That's what I like about our list. Last week all the talk was about how strong our squad was in comparison to the outs that GWS had, but we were without (what we describe as big bodied defenders) in Hamling and Roberts, a KPF in Redpath, a potential KPF in T Boyd and a midfield gun in Liberatore. Not to mention a couple of other lively midfield types in Honeychurch and Dale and we sat the 2015 All Australian Captain on the bench for the 2nd half. We are accumulating depth that will be the envy of 17 other clubs. The trick now is to hold onto it and regenerate it.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Gawd

Don't you mean Gawn.

F'scary
04-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Hogan not playing - as you wouldn't if you were just playing out your contract.

Eastdog
05-03-2016, 06:20 PM
That's what I like about our list. Last week all the talk was about how strong our squad was in comparison to the outs that GWS had, but we were without (what we describe as big bodied defenders) in Hamling and Roberts, a KPF in Redpath, a potential KPF in T Boyd and a midfield gun in Liberatore. Not to mention a couple of other lively midfield types in Honeychurch and Dale and we sat the 2015 All Australian Captain on the bench for the 2nd half. We are accumulating depth that will be the envy of 17 other clubs. The trick now is to hold onto it and regenerate it.

Yes it is really great sign. Will be another good hit out tomorrow and very keen to see Libba and T Boyd do well and get through unscathed. Also the other kids who may not have played in NAB1 will be keen to see how they go.

Eastdog
05-03-2016, 06:21 PM
How will our defence structure work tomorrow and who will get the ruck duties?

lemmon
06-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Also brings some finals experience, which is surprising since he didn't play many games at the Swans. Reading he also has a bit of mid-field experience, good for injury cover.

And tagging experience. Did a job on Griffen if I remember correctly

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Looking forward to this game. We get the chance to see another group of players looking to establish themselves as being in the mix for round one selection.

The likes of Hamling and Roberts need to perform well plus it's a great chance for Jed Adcock push for an upgrade.
I'm hoping Tom Boyd has put a couple of minor injuries aside and can put in a strong performance.
I'm also hoping like hell that we can improve our goal kicking accuracy

Dogs by 20 points.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 10:08 AM
How will our defence structure work tomorrow and who will get the ruck duties?

The squad will be trimmed but...

We have a lot of ruck options playing today, Campbell, Minson, Roughead, Boyd and Redpath are all in the squad plus the rookie Luke Goetz.

Hamling, Roberts, Adams, Collins and Cordy should play on the talls and I wouldn't be surprised to see Roughead there at times. Murphy, M.Boyd, Johannisen, Webb and a host of others others on the flanks.

Two younger players I'm keen to see today are Webb and Dunkley. I have a sneaking suspicion a good performance by these two could have them right in the mix for senior selection come round one.

Dry Rot
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Final squad named?

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Final squad named?

AFL website still only has 29 man squads up. Unusual given the game is less than 2 hours away.

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:32 PM
It's not unusual. Final teams are usually named 90 mins before the game begins.

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Final changes: Wallis, M. Boyd, Dahlhaus and Macrae out.

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:52 PM
We're going in 1 short this week. 25 vs Melbourne's 26.

azabob
06-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Tom Campbell is captain for the day.

azabob
06-03-2016, 01:55 PM

We must be reading different sources!

boydogs
06-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Would have thought Roughead would be the natural choice as last year's VC. Tommy may be firming as our round 1 ruck

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:58 PM

That's an interesting call. On face value, Minson, Roughead have more obvious claim to Captaincy today. Great honour for Tom to Captain our club, even at NAB level.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Keeping the work rate up.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 02:00 PM
We must be reading different sources!

What are you reading?

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 02:02 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
Out: Jack Macrae, Mitch Wallis, Matthew Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus (Bulldogs playing with 25)

MELBOURNE
Out: Oscar McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen, Dean Terlich

WESTERN BULLDOGS
12. Zaine Cordy, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 17. Tom Boyd, 18. Fletcher Roberts, 19. Lukas Webb, 20. Josh Dunkley, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Mitch Honeychurch, 23. Jordan Roughead, 26. Declan Hamilton, 27. Will Minson, 28. Josh Prudden, 30. Joel Hamling, 31. Bailey Dale, 32. Kieran Collins, 33. Marcus Adams, 34. Bailey Williams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 36. Brad Lynch, 40. Luke Goetz, 43. Jack Redpath, 44. Jed Adcock, 46. Lin Jong

MELBOURNE
2. Nathan Jones, 3. Christian Salem, 4. Jack Watts, 7. Jack Viney, 11. Max Gawn, 12. Dom Tyson, 13. Clayton Oliver, 14. Lynden Dunn, 15. Billy Stretch, 16. Dean Kent, 17. Sam Frost, 20. Colin Garland, 21. Cameron Pedersen, 22. Viv Michie, 23. Bernie Vince, 25. Tom McDonald, 29. Jayden Hunt, 31. Jack Grimes, 32. Tomas Bugg, 35. Ben Kennedy, 36. Jeff Garlett, 37. Aaron vandenBerg, 39. Neville Jetta, 42. Josh Wagner, 43. James Harmes, 45. Matt Jones

Twodogs
06-03-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm really keen to see how our defence lines up today. To my eye it's seems a bit of a play off between all the tall defenders we have on our list.

Mantis
Top heavy team.

Out mids and flankers are going to have long day.. Interested to see how they go.

LostDoggy
What are you reading?
I think that was in reference to an earlier post of mine, where I stated that Campbell wasn't in today's team, but edited that sentence out immediately when I realised I was wrong.

My mistake. Sorry azabob!

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 02:30 PM
So aside from the long term injured, I think the only player to miss both NAB's is Matty Boyd. Does anyone know if this is a player management decision or is he carrying a little injury?

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Can't wait to see Zaine Cordy in action.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Me too Twodogs. It's an area for mine now that's need a bit of work. We were once say that about our forward line although our kicking at goal needs some work.

Rocco Jones
06-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Odd stat. All players from number 1-11 not playing. 12 is a very high lowest number!

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Can't wait to see Zaine Cordy in action.

Enjoy it, I will be!

As an aside, and useless stats ala the thread, have we ever fielded a team with no jumper numbers from the top 11?

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Odd stat. All players from number 1-11 not playing. 12 is a very high lowest number!

Jinx. If great minds think alike, be very afraid. :D

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Also, from last year's best and fairest, the highest ranked player playing today is Lin Jong, who finished 16th. All of last year's top 15 are out today (or gone).

If we don't get a belting here, it will be very encouraging.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 02:55 PM
10 minutes until the first bounce :)

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Great to see us wearing our home jumpers.

G-Mo77
06-03-2016, 03:05 PM
We'll get flogged today.

Really feel for the onballers today. 30+ degrees and more talls than smalls so rotations will be down. The 2nd half we'll wear down.

Still, good chance for some of these guys on the fringe to get a real good crack.

azabob
06-03-2016, 03:11 PM
So aside from the long term injured, I think the only player to miss both NAB's is Matty Boyd. Does anyone know if this is a player management decision or is he carrying a little injury?

There was an interview with Boyd on the website and it spoke about less is more. I think we should be worried if he doesn't play next week.

But nevertheless an interesting observation.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Good start so far. We look lively.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Hopefully that goal - albeit a touch lucky - can give Roughead some confidence.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:17 PM
T Boyd been involved which as been great.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Disappointing we couldn't pin Melbourne down in a chain of handballs from the centre bounce to inside the 50m and a goal.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Dees are looking good in the middle.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Great kick Jong and Mark and goal Mino.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Great contested mark from Wil 15m out, no trouble with the goal.

20-8. Dogs.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Hrovat been very good

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Dees are looking good in the middle.

Was thinking at the time you posted this that we'll get a touch up in the next quarter when the Dees have the wind if we don't lift in that area.

Hrovat is having an influence, he's just hit Red on the lead with a beautiful across ground kick.

Red splits the centre.

26-8

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Great pressure from our defence.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Bailey Dale has missed an absolute sitter after a good mark 15m out. Not good enough.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Kicking blues in the NAB. Should be killing it.
Need a bit of momentum into the wind.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 03:32 PM
The heat factor will test our taller team as the game wears on.

kruder
06-03-2016, 03:33 PM
We have found one boys Josh Dunkley is an AFL player no doubt. Love his hardness at the contest, his size and looks to be a two way player with his tackling standout for mine.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Put your house on a VFL premiership this year.;)

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
Good to see the big blokes hitting the scoreboard. Jordon, Minno.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
I might try to stick to positives this break. Adams, Hrovat, Jong, Prudden all looked alright. For a team of very inexperienced pups, they've acquitted themselves well. All we really need to see is whether kids will fight like hell to keep their spots for next week and beyond and i like what I see.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 03:36 PM
BT, did Prudden even touch it other than a kick in?

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:39 PM
We need to shut down Garlett.

bulldogtragic
BT, did Prudden even touch it other than a kick in?

Not sure G, I liked his intensity at the contest and tackling. It seems this is one of Bevo's not negotiable so with some of his gameplans, it's more on this I liked him doing what Bevo wants to see.

The Underdog
22 tackles in the first. Hrovat & Jong lively. Liked Minno's strong mark for a goal. Some nice recovery work in the backline when we've looked in trouble. Dees skills are pretty awful

bornadog
06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Put your house on a VFL premiership this year.;)

VFL :eek:, don't you mean AFL, :)

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Great effort Collins just before

Mantis
06-03-2016, 03:45 PM
The heat factor will test our taller team as the game wears on.

Not as warm as predicted this far so may not be as big of an issue as once thought.

Just under 26 which isn't really extreme.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Dad looks like an absolute ripper. Doesn't give up, and he's strong.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Gee we move the ball well

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Hrovat, Redpath, Jong, Honeychurch been very good. Adams has done some good things. Libba easing his way in. Daniel will be great. Our tackling has been excellent.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Hrovat needs to make quicker decisions and not hesitate and hold the ball

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Hrovat needs to make quicker decisions and not hesitate and hold the ball

Yes wasn't his best moment there before.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Hrovat has let himself down a little in this quarter with his entry execution and decision making.

He's really getting amongst it, so it's just a little part of his game that needs tightening.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 03:56 PM
Friggin dropped marks

jeemak
06-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Great goal from Garlett capitalising on a Roberts error.......

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Need to hit that scoreboard.

kruder
06-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Hrovat has let himself down a little in this quarter with his entry execution and decision making.

He's really getting amongst it, so it's just a little part of his game that needs tightening.

I just think its Hrovat its not something that can be fixed.

AndrewP6
06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Shocking quarter. Melbourne's preseason specialist goals right before the half time break.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Costly failure to convert in the first half letting them in the door.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
A chance for our young team today to re group and come out firing in the 2nd half.

chef
06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Understandably our younguns ran out of puff in the heat. Pretty good effort so far.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
You'd have to think Collins & Adams playing in round 1 would be short odds. Campbell too.

Magic, Jong & Hrovat getting involved. Hrovat should've just taken the shot at goal, I get you want to get it to a teammate when under pressure with a swirling wind, but he should've taken the shot.

Overall, I'm happy enough for the second practice game of the preseason.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:08 PM
How have woofers rated Mclean's game today so far?

Mantis
06-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Overall, I'm happy enough for the second practice game of the preseason.

... With pretty much our full team in the stands.

Acquitting themselves very well and it shows that nearly our whole squad can step up into the senior team as required.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 04:14 PM
... With pretty much our full team in the stands.

Acquitting themselves very well and it shows that nearly our whole squad can step up into the senior team as required.

Absolutely bang on, as my first post, all I was looking today was to see kids looking to keep their spots or fight to be considered for the best 22. That's what they're doing by and large. Also factor in a smaller bench and less rotations too. Look forward to seeing in the second half who can maintain their good involvement in the game.

jeemak
I'd just like to take this moment to point out, that Paul Roos is continuing to do a magical job with this young and inexperienced Melbourne team.

He's wonderful.

comrade
Rapt with how our C team is doing.

Dunkley the most impressive, IMO. Just a bull.

Collins loves to stick monster tackles. Loved seeing him bury Jones:

bulldogtragic
I'd just like to take this moment to point out, that Paul Roos is continuing to do a magical job with this young and inexperienced Melbourne team.

He's wonderful.

And the dropped marks were because of emotional scarring from past coaches and cultures. To be fair.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Absolutely bang on, as my first post, all I was looking today was to see kids looking to keep their spots or fight to be considered for the best 22. That's what they're doing by and large. Also factor in a smaller bench and less rotations too. Look forward to seeing in the second half who can maintain their good involvement in the game.

I'm similar to you, though sharper attention is being paid to the likes of Hrovat, Roughead and one or two others who I believe should be leading the way today.

kruder
06-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Plenty of positives particularly Dunkley,Collins and Lynch. All showing they are going to be fantastic additions. I don't want to be negative but there were periods that showed why Hrovat and Honey were out of the side last year. Just not clean and creative enough to play that flank role for mine.

Really liked Redpath's game he is still ahead of Boyd at this stage.

Twodogs
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Josh Dunkley is my new favourite player. I love players who don't complicate things.

Put head over ball,
Win contest,
Distribute to teammate.

Put head over ball,
Win contest,
Distribute to teammate.

Set and forget.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Yes his tackling at times has been great. Still work to do but very good early signs.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:28 PM
You just feel from the game today back related to the Roughy thread that he'll still be handy despite the criticism.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:29 PM
We were pathetically disorganised in that throw in contest and it's given them an easy goal.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Daniel disappointing so far

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Libba looks sharp in a pre season style :)

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Been good at times still would you agree BAD.

comrade
06-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Love Magic's ability to draw a free.

Opposition fans will hate him.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Commentary is so in pre season mode.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Great grab from Boyd!

Crappy finish though. Tony Shaw also doesn't want to give Boyd any positive comment, he's a twit.

comrade
06-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Tony Shaw tuts every time Boyd goes near it.

Can't stand the bloke.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Set shot goal kicking must be significantly harder than I'm giving it credit for. It cost us a final win last year and I think Bevo has just shrugged it off as one of those things

comrade
06-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Hehe nice don't argue from Lynch. Got something about him.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Beautiful finish from Webb.

Took the responsibility. Nailed it.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Set shot goal kicking must be significantly harder than I'm giving it credit for. It cost us a final win last year and I think Bevo has just shrugged it off as one of those things

It staggers me how bad it is.

GVGjr
Beautiful finish from Webb.

Took the responsibility. Nailed it.

That's what he is capable of.

Eastdog
Good grab Hamling

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Honey goals

comrade
06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Oliver heard footsteps twice in 5 minutes.

Nice movement and disposal from Prudden to set that one up.

Our list > Dee's list.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Tony Shaw tuts every time Boyd goes near it.

Can't stand the bloke.

He does doesn't he. The twerp wouldn't know it's his first hit out for the year.

Great run and penetration from Prudden, nice finish from HC to get a goal out the back.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Love Magic's ability to draw a free.

Opposition fans will hate him.

Sorry, who is magic again?
Honeychurch is getting 'holy beehive' haha.

AndrewP6
06-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Goal kicking *bluurgh*....

Tony Shaw's commentary ****BLLUUUURGHHHH***

bornadog
06-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Lin Jong ripper

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Great kick and goal from Jong

jeemak
06-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Good hit up from Boyd to find Jong, excellent finish from Jong to put us 19pts up a bit before 3/4 time.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM

Don't agree Bad.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Don't agree Bad.

Yeah I'm more in your camp on this one B4L.

bornadog
Don't agree Bad.

Had a better quarter after I wrote that.

jeemak
Really happy with the fight shown by our young brigade that quarter. Easily could have dropped their heads but they didn't and rallied to get a 20pt swing from a trailing position.

Would love to see them play a super defencive quarter and do everything they can to lock it down, block entries and counter with respect for the footy in terms of how they use it.

It would make me very happy to beat this ordinary club with a bunch of youngsters.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Sorry, who is magic again?
Honeychurch is getting 'holy beehive' haha.

You're going to kick yourself, McLean

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Good quarter from Boyd, even with Cleric Tony Shaw's fatwa commentary on him. He's lost all the puppy fat, he looks like the perfect specimen, shame that nickname is taken. Hard to see Jong out of the round 1 team. On the flip side,mi haven't noticed Minno or Roughy much.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I hope we can finish this game off with a win.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 05:01 PM
You're going to kick yourself, McLean

I'm not afraid of asking a stupid question now and then. Surely everyone is used to it now...

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 05:02 PM
I hope we can finish this game off with a win.

Another goal or 2 and we are just about there.

azabob
06-03-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm not afraid of asking a stupid question now and then. Surely everyone is used to it now...

It's in reference to a player from the 80's Michael McLean who was recruited from the Northern Territory and was nick named Magic.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Hamling's had a few good moments and would be reasonably happy with his first NAB game.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 05:06 PM
The umps are all over us at the moment.

azabob
06-03-2016, 05:07 PM
How has Liberatore gone?

chef
06-03-2016, 05:10 PM
How has Liberatore gone?

Pretty quiet

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Not impressed with Adcock one little bit

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Hamling's had a few good moments and would be reasonably happy with his first NAB game.

Yep some good efforts and a couple of poor one's. I think he a must to be in the round one team so probably not. :)

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't watch a lot of other teams but when did Max Gawn become a good ruckman?

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:12 PM
How has Liberatore gone?

Pretty quiet

Bit unfair, as he has done well for his first game back and the amount of time on the ground.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 05:13 PM
We've let ourselves down with our accountability around the contest this quarter, particularly close to goal.

Shame.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 05:15 PM
How has Liberatore gone?

I think he has done well. I just heard he has had 9 or 10 tackles. Good comeback game.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Redpath hasn't touched the ball for 3/4 quarters

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Dunkley - 10 contested possessions in a first year is pretty good.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Good game from our seconds

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Good game from our seconds

Agree it was a hard fought effort.

chef
06-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Bit unfair, as he has done well for his first game back and the amount of time on the ground.

How was it unfair, he was quiet. It wasnt a dig at him and obviously we all dont expect to much more out of him at this stage.

It was a good stepping stone

azabob
06-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Dunkley - 10 contested possessions in a first year is pretty good.

First game even!

comrade
06-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Pretty satisfied despite the result.

I'd imagine the result would have been different with Wood, Stringer, Bont, Murph, Boyd, Picken, Stevens etc

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 05:22 PM
I think he has done well. I just heard he has had 9 or 10 tackles. Good comeback game.

Yep that is just what I wanted for a practice match from him. Still quite effective but not going in mega hard.

chef
06-03-2016, 05:23 PM

I'd imagine the result would have been different with Wood, Stringer, Bont, Murph, Boyd, Picken, Stevens etc

Yeah, pretty good effort from the pups against a pretty strong team

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:23 PM
How was it unfair, he was quiet. It wasnt a dig at him and obviously we all dont expect to much more out of him at this stage.

It was a good stepping stone

16 disposals and 10 tackles, I wouldn't call quiet. I don't know what % of time he was on the ground, but pretty sure he spent time on the bench.

chef
06-03-2016, 05:25 PM
16 disposals and 10 tackles, I wouldn't call quiet. I don't know what % of time he was on the ground, but pretty sure he spent time on the bench.

Cool. I thought he was quiet myself.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 05:25 PM
It's in reference to a player from the 80's Michael McLean who was recruited from the Northern Territory and was nick named Magic.

Thanks. Only been a Dogs supporter since the early 90's. Before that my knowledge is a bit sketchy to say the least. But I just filled in another piece of the puzzle. Thanks!

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Happy with that, less a win. Some really good signs from a few kids, and a few older ones like Jong. Boyd & Libba got through uninjured which is a good thing. We got pantsed a few times from throw ins in the defensive 50, so that gives us something to work on. Roughy forward-rucking didn't work again, do something to think about. Hrovat has a few little things to work on. The boys are getting used to less interchanges also. All in all, a practice game is to practice things to see if they work, and if they don't how to rectify it before the season starts. Bring on next week to see if the round 1 best 22 gets clearer.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Roughead best big man on the ground for us. Campbell and Minson pretty even, and Tom Boyd ok game for first hit out.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 05:29 PM

I'm disappointed by the result. To me there is still a fair of work to do especially around skill execution.

We would have won that game with a bit of composure in the last quarter.

chef
06-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Roughead best big man on the ground for us. Campbell and Minson pretty even, and Tom Boyd ok game for first hit out.

Where do you see him fitting in in our best 22?

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Where do you see him fitting in in our best 22?

I like second ruck and take on resting ruckman

Twodogs
06-03-2016, 05:43 PM
We threw away the NAB challenge!

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm disappointed by the result. To me there is still a fair of work to do especially around skill execution.

Good hitout but yeah in that department execution needs improving. We don't want to be losing close ones because of purely poor execution.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 05:47 PM

At least we have won a NAB cup as now there is no trophy to play for.

bornadog
06-03-2016, 05:52 PM

Doesn't worry me one bit. Three weeks to go for the real stuff.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 06:00 PM
I thought Boyd contested well for his first hit out of the year, took a really good grab forward and should have probably kicked two goals. He also pushed up the ground a bit and presented well. There's plenty to work on.

Roughead, Minson and Campbell all struggled to influence the game with notable efforts, aside from the latter taking some good marks in front of the packs having read the ball better as it held into the wind.

Liberatore's endeavour was fantastic, and the best part about his game was he got through it unscathed. It was great to see him tackle and harass, the ball accumulation and precision usage by hand and foot will come soon enough.

I was a bit disappointed with Hrovat's second half, while I thought Prudden, Adcock and Honey all had moments where they were OK and moments when they weren't so flash. Jong was probably the most influential midfield player for us across the day.

Of our tall defenders I thought only Roberts didn't leave a lot to build on after the game, whereas all of Hamling, Collins and Adams did. We need competition through that area so it was good to see Hamling start reasonably well.

I thought the younger players found it really tough today with exception to Dunkley, who I thought was more than solid. The pace and intensity was probably a bit much for them, given there wasn't a strong senior contingent to see them through. They'll learn from the experience of course, but nobody really stood out for me save for a couple of glimpses from all of Webb, Lynch, Daniel and McLean.

It was disappointing to see Hamilton and Lynch not lay a tackle for the day, likewise for Boyd and Redpath.

All in all, one or two more senior heads in the side would have seen us win the game. Losing to Melbourne annoys me, considering how much they've been mollycoddled for the better part of a pathetic and cheating ten years. I'm sick or Paul Roos and I'm sick of the faux optimism from the commentariat year in and year out, so we better front up next time we play them.

Hotdog60
06-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Ran out of puff in the end and the more seasoned Demons got on top. Good hit out and it would have been nice for the win but a lot of positives at the Dogs.
Link for the Womens game live now.
http://aflcommunity.com.au/index.php?id=495

bornadog
06-03-2016, 06:04 PM
All in all, one or two more senior heads in the side would have seen us win the game. Losing to Melbourne annoys me, considering how much they've been mollycoddled for the better part of a pathetic and cheating ten years. I'm sick or Paul Roos and I'm sick of the faux optimism from the commentariat year in and year out, so we better front up next time we play them.

I hated Roos when he played and hate him as a coach and person. It is always someone else's fault not his and he is a media darling who can do no wrong.
Smart arse who is up himself, is his best description. Rant over. :D

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Do the math:

+ Suckling, Murphy, Wallis, Bonts, Boyd, Dahl, Hunter, Stringer, Wood, Macrae, Stevens, JJ, Morris, Picken (Smith)
- Dawes, Hogan, Lumumba & Brayshaw (Petracca)
= Smashing

jeemak
06-03-2016, 06:14 PM
I hated Roos when he played and hate him as a coach and person. It is always someone else's fault not his and he is a media darling who can do no wrong.
Smart arse who is up himself, is his best description. Rant over. :D

I remember when he used to play loose man for Sydney and people/media would gush over him always getting the footy. Only Luke Hodge playing loose across half back has received as much gush in the history of the game.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Looking at the worm, we led for 80% of the game, and lead well for at least half of it. That's probably Melbourne's best 22 there.
I'm disappointed we couldn't hold on. Disappointed to hear Adcock didn't always provide the leadership we needed. Good experience.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
It was disappointing to see Hamilton and Lynch not lay a tackle for the day, likewise for Boyd and Redpath.

Good point. The double whammy by playing a taller list. Run out of puff earlier, less tackles overall.

1eyedog
06-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Assuming we only play one how did the Boyd v Redpath contest go leading into Round 1 and where are you all at with it?

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Do the math:

+ Suckling, Murphy, Wallis, Bonts, Boyd, Dahl, Hunter, Stringer, Wood, Macrae, Stevens, JJ, Morris, Picken (Smith)
- Dawes, Hogan, Lumumba & Brayshaw (Petracca)
= Smashing

And not forgetting Dickson too BT.

The Pie Man
06-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Still queries over who will stand up and take the No. 1 ruck spot - I'd give it to Tom Campbell, but only just

Really impressed at how solid the list looks currently; outside of rookies/first year players, I'd rate Prudden low-mid 30s, but he was very solid today (as he was vs Collingwood last year)

Adams was good, Collins (other than a horror turnover) likewise, Hamling had a good 2nd half, Hrovat & Daniel impressive & Bailey Williams showed a bit.

KF spot/s will be interesting. Boyd looked good early but ran out of puff. Redpath quiet but can be effective with limited opportunities.

F'scary
06-03-2016, 06:34 PM
And Biggs.

The Pie Man
06-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Oh and Lin Jong looks a lock for round 1

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
And not forgetting Dickson too BT.

And Dicko.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 06:44 PM
So has the question around who will be the first ruck in round one been answered?

jeemak
06-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Assuming we only play one how did the Boyd v Redpath contest go leading into Round 1 and where are you all at with it?

Need to see the former get another run. Not sure if Redpath is tired but he seemed to fade out of the game a bit after a reasonable start, so it might be one that comes down to the final intra club scratch match in the off week before the season starts to see who deserves the spot.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
So has the question around who will be the first ruck in round one been answered?

I think Campbell will get the nod, but all of he, Minson and Roughead will play.

F'scary
06-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Oh and Lin Jong looks a lock for round 1

Be hard to leave Jong out, he needs to be a bit more decisive with what he is going to do with the ball but he's playing like a first 22 player. I could see him getting a spot on the bench for round 1

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 06:47 PM

No. Although I personally just favour Campbell...by a feather.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
I think Campbell will get the nod, but all of he, Minson and Roughead will play.

It would be a very top heavy side if we do go in with those 3

Remi Moses
06-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Had a look out at Lego land today .
Pleased with the effort and in all a pretty good result to be honest .
The ruck spot could be just throw three numbers up in the air , and see what you come up with.
Very impressed with Adams , terrific aerialist and hard at it . I thought Tom Boyd was pretty decent first up, and has trimmed up .
Hrovat was great early, but still gets caught not taking the first and best option . Jong put his name up for round one, as did Caleb Daniel. Dunkley looks a very good find, and Toby McLean did a few nice things . The biggest disappointment is the three rucks not putting their name forward .
Fair to say Melbourne have the nab challenge wood on us .
Congrats to the workers at the membership tent who gave my mate a ticket for entry even though he forgot his membership card.
Nice touch

The Underdog
06-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I missed the second half as I had to head to work. Listening to Chris Connolly on SEN was appalling. Tony Shaw level appalling.

F'scary
06-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Had a look out at Lego land today .
Pleased with the effort and in all a pretty good result to be honest .
The ruck spot could be just throw three numbers up in the air , and see what you come up with.
Very impressed with Adams , terrific aerialist and hard at it . I thought Tom Boyd was pretty decent first up, and has trimmed up .
Hrovat was great early, but still gets caught not taking the first and best option . Jong put his name up for round one, as did Caleb Daniel. Dunkley looks a very good find, and Toby McLean did a few nice things . The biggest disappointment is the three rucks not putting their name forward .
Fair to say Melbourne have the nab challenge wood on us .
Congrats to the workers at the membership tent who gave my mate a ticket for entry even though he forgot his membership card.
Nice touch

Read your point on Adams with interest - he didn't get much of mention on SEN other than he was generally some way off being considered for a senior spot.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Read your point on Adams with interest - he didn't get much of mention on SEN other than he was generally some way off being considered for a senior spot.

Johno said on Fox footy that he reckons that after the two Nab games he thinks Adams is just about a certainty for round 1....or words to that effect.

Throughandthrough
06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
How did Bailey Williams go?

comrade
06-03-2016, 08:22 PM
How did Bailey Williams go?

Kicked a lovely opportunist snap for goal. Struggled to adjust to the pace at times, which is understandable, but also used the ball well and got involved quite a bit. Pretty good first up effort.

I liked Brad Lynch's game, too. Both look handy additions to the list.

comrade
06-03-2016, 08:27 PM

Yep, plenty of work to be done.

But we couldn't have picked a younger or more inexperienced side if we tried, and given the heat and lower rotations, fatigue would have played a massive part in the last quarter where our structure and effort fell down. Disappointing but understandable.

We played 4 key defenders and 3 ruckman on a 35 degree day, which suggests the result wasn't overly important to the coaching staff.

AndrewP6
06-03-2016, 08:48 PM
We played 4 key defenders and 3 ruckman on a 35 degree day, which suggests the result wasn't overly important to the coaching staff.

Was it that hot? Wasn't on my side of town!

comrade
06-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Was it that hot? Wasn't on my side of town!

Well, it was in Ballarat :D

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Yep, plenty of work to be done.

But we couldn't have picked a younger or more inexperienced side if we tried, and given the heat and lower rotations, fatigue would have played a massive part in the last quarter where our structure and effort fell down. Disappointing but understandable.

Yes. Bevo said we have played the whole list over the 2 NAB games

F'scary
06-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Johno said on Fox footy that he reckons that after the two Nab games he thinks Adams is just about a certainty for round 1....or words to that effect.

Good to hear another contrary opinion to the one put forward on SEN.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-03-2016, 09:29 PM
With so many senior players missing this was a good hit out . Interesting to see Tom Campbell named Captain and he replied by performing well. I thought Jong was our best and it was great to see Libba back in the thick of the action. With upwards of ten regulars missing we were able to see the depth of talent on display. Tom Boyd looked a lot better and should have finished with 3-4 goals. Dale McLean Daniel Honeychurch and Hrovat all did enough to suggest there will be keen competition for places at ground level. Adams was impressive and looks a lock in as a key defender. It will be good to see him in action against Collingwood next week. Fletcher Roberts needs to do more whilst Hamling continues to impress. Murphy M Boyd Morris Wood Stringer Hunter Suckling Dahlhaus and Wallis all left out today should give us a stronger guide with their anticipated return next week.

comrade
06-03-2016, 09:35 PM
How much better are our key defensive prospects? We have 4 guys vying for 2 spots and all are pretty athletic and talented (albeit inexperienced).

Remember the days of Austin and Markovic as first choice defenders! Moz is probably thinking 'where was this for the last 5 years while I've been getting smashed from pillar to post'.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 09:43 PM
How much better are our key defensive prospects? We have 4 guys vying for 2 spots and all are pretty athletic and talented (albeit inexperienced).

Remember the days of Austin and Markovic as first choice defenders! Moz is probably thinking 'where was this for the last 5 years while I've been getting smashed from pillar to post'.

I thought Markovics best spot was forward, or Box Hill. I heard Morris say he'd play 2 or 3 more years if he can avoid old man injuries (calf, quad etc) and I bet he's thinking like what you say. If he can get the 3rd forward and/or someone his size and/or someone he matches up on well each week, man is he going to even more effective. And he's already the best tall defender we have.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 10:08 PM
How did we rate Declan Hamilton's game today?

Do you reckon Lukas Webb will start in Round 1? He kicked a very good goal today.

I thought our tackling pressure early in the match was brilliant. Understandable that we couldn't maintain it for the match considering the conditions.

Libba didn't go ultra hard but was still very effective today and will really slot in nicely once again under Bevo. Redpath was quite good up forward and T Boyd I feel has a lot of work to do but was ok and took a very good contested mark.

The ruck battle will be interesting. Campbell took some good marks in that last quarter I believe it was.

Overall a good account of ourselves considering we had 16 changes from last match.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 10:33 PM
How did we rate Declan Hamilton's game today?

Do you reckon Lukas Webb will start in Round 1? He kicked a very good goal today.

I thought our tackling pressure early in the match was brilliant. Understandable that we couldn't maintain it for the match considering the conditions.

Libba didn't go ultra hard but was still very effective today and will really slot in nicely once again under Bevo. Redpath was quite good up forward and T Boyd I feel has a lot of work to do but was ok and took a very good contested mark.

The ruck battle will be interesting. Campbell took some good marks in that last quarter I believe it was.

Overall a good account of ourselves considering we had 16 changes from last match.

He had 5 possessions in 17% of game time so didn't do bad considering.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 10:41 PM

That's ok considering the time he spent on the field.

Collins I feel has been good the first 2 nab games. Do you see it that way as well B4L?

Bulldog4life
06-03-2016, 10:50 PM
That's ok considering the time he spent on the field.

Collins I feel has been good the first 2 nab games. Do you see it that way as well B4L?

Yes impressed with Collins too Easty Is definitely in the mix for round 1.

Eastdog
06-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Yes impressed with Collins too Easty Is definitely in the mix for round 1.

Bevo has got a big task coming up.

SonofScray
06-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Watched the first three quarters on AFL Live pass before I had to head off to Oakleigh for my final game of ice hockey for the season. One of the great things about playing in a summer league is the tinge of disappointment of the season ending is outshone by the excitement of R1 and the Scraggers.

Thought we had plenty more upside than our opponents who were closer to full strength than we were today. Lin Jong receiving the tap from the ruck on the run a few times was exciting stuff, he took a great grab at one stage too. Get the feeling he needs an uninterrupted run this year to go up to the level he has shown at times but never gone on with. Looking OK so far.

I'm concerned about how Boyd is going to handle the scrutiny and expectation he is under (unfairly) with the narrative of him being a bust already set in concrete in the media. Every game like today where he isn't Wayne Carey is going to intensify the scrutiny and affirm the narrative. Even as a fan it is hard to frame my expectations as a result. Johnno wasn't very complimentary of him today. I just hope we can give him a fair shot at being the player we need and stave off the witch hunt. Today won't have helped.

Backline is looking better in terms of depth. Adams keeps showing a bit, which is a great result and Dad looks every bit a KPF who can do the job early in his career. Sid looked solid and Hamling appears to be ready to build on last year's promise. The scenario down back has turned around very quickly.

jeemak
06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
It would be a very top heavy side if we do go in with those 3

Agreed, but there's something in me that believes we want to go into the first round top heavy to test the ability of our runners and going tall more so than we have in the past.

I'm for it as we've never been a tall side and I want to see how we can exploit it.

That's likely to mean Roughead plays at the expense of Collins or Adams, alongside Hamling in defence.

boydogs
06-03-2016, 11:41 PM

74%

http://puu.sh/nwJgp/f549d0f90f.png
http://puu.sh/nwJky/d22b46024c.png

LostDoggy
07-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Just caught up with the game. Gee, there was a lot to like. Skills were down, but given the outs and the tricky wind that's okay.

Jong was very impressive, if we have a group of big bodied mids to rotate through the Crameri role, I reckon he's just about played himself in as one in that rotation.

All of Collins, Adams, Dunkley, Williams and Lynch showed plenty. Either of Collins or Adams could easily play R1. Dunkley will get a chance sooner rather than later on that form. Williams and Lynch are raw and need work physically, but there is plenty in both.

God it was great to see Libba glide through and lay the lazy 10 tackles (worth watching just for those) and Boyd did enough.

Our ball movement was very good again. We had total bounces of 0 for the match, which may be the first time this has happened.

Couldn't have asked for much more (maybe for a ruckman to really stamp his authority, although all were okay). This NAB is shaping much like last, the selections for NAB3 will tell us a lot. Collingwood are up and about, will be a cracking game.

jeemak
07-03-2016, 12:14 AM
I'm concerned about how Boyd is going to handle the scrutiny and expectation he is under (unfairly) with the narrative of him being a bust already set in concrete in the media. Every game like today where he isn't Wayne Carey is going to intensify the scrutiny and affirm the narrative. Even as a fan it is hard to frame my expectations as a result. Johnno wasn't very complimentary of him today. I just hope we can give him a fair shot at being the player we need and stave off the witch hunt. Today won't have helped.

The more I think about the game the more I'm happy with Boyd in his first hit out. I'd have preferred he nailed three or four tackles given he worked hard to get the first touch and contested disposal in close, but he didn't and he'll work on that. If he had have kicked two goals - which he really should have - he'd be lauded as having had an excellent first hit out.

bulldogtragic
07-03-2016, 12:27 AM
The more I think about the game the more I'm happy with Boyd in his first hit out. I'd have preferred he nailed three or four tackles given he worked hard to get the first touch and contested disposal in close, but he didn't and he'll work on that. If he had have kicked two goals - which he really should have - he'd be lauded as having had an excellent first hit out.

I was happy with Boyd. First game back, got the best defender, no real foil to drag defenders away managed a few marks including a big pack park and got a few shots at goal. His key problem seems to be Tony Shaw criticising every good thing he does. But with more games on free to air, he should improve this year unless Leigh Matthews is on that day/night.

jeemak
07-03-2016, 12:33 AM
I was happy with Boyd. First game back, got the best defender, no real foil to drag defenders away managed a few marks including a big pack park and got a few shots at goal. His key problem seems to be Tony Shaw criticising every good thing he does. But with more games on free to air, he should improve this year unless Leigh Matthews is on that day/night.

It's going to be interesting to see the contrast in gush if we do well as a team and Boyd contributes as a 21 year old should rather than dominate like a 25 year old should.

LostDoggy
07-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Tony Shaw once severely concussed himself by running into a tree.

Ghost Dog
07-03-2016, 01:06 AM
Watched the first three quarters on AFL Live pass before I had to head off to Oakleigh for my final game of ice hockey for the season. One of the great things about playing in a summer league is the tinge of disappointment of the season ending is outshone by the excitement of R1 and the Scraggers.

Thought we had plenty more upside than our opponents who were closer to full strength than we were today. Lin Jong receiving the tap from the ruck on the run a few times was exciting stuff, he took a great grab at one stage too. Get the feeling he needs an uninterrupted run this year to go up to the level he has shown at times but never gone on with. Looking OK so far.

Backline is looking better in terms of depth. Adams keeps showing a bit, which is a great result and Dad looks every bit a KPF who can do the job early in his career. Sid looked solid and Hamling appears to be ready to build on last year's promise. The scenario down back has turned around very quickly.

On the radio they were quite complimentary of Boyd. They made the point of Hawkins and how he was quite slow to develop.

jeemak
07-03-2016, 01:28 AM
On the radio they were quite complimentary of Boyd. They made the point of Hawkins and how he was quite slow to develop.

You were lucky not to have been listening to the Fox coverage. Even Brad Johnson who apologetically claimed himself to be a believer in big men taking time to develop was cornered into suggesting it's imperative Boyd take a notable step forward this year - which I assume was largely due to Boyd's pay packet.

ratsmac
07-03-2016, 07:43 AM
I don't watch a lot of other teams but when did Max Gawn become a good ruckman?

I think Max Gawn is going to be one of the leagues best ruckman very soon. I see a few Melbourne games with a mate and yeah he has had solid improvement since coming back from his knee injury. Competitive beast.

Whilst on Melbourne's players number 13, Clayton Oliver I think, gee he looks good for a young player.

ratsmac
07-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Loved seeing Libba getting some miles in the legs. He looks like he'll slot straight back in nicely.

I thought our rucks were disappointing to be honest. Gawn dominated the ruck duels. TC was probably our best but he still needs to clunk his marks. He gets his hands on the ball so often and spills it.

Boyd was ok. He looks so much better when he runs and jumps at the ball. He doesn't have the body strength yet to out wrestle defenders. Should of slotted at least 2 majors.

I thought lynch showed some good signs. We scored a goal (I think) when he took the game on in the middle and made something happen.

Adams looked a lot more settled in his 2nd game. He in strong in the marking contests. He could get a call up round 1.

Collins in going to be a ripper but still needs to work on his positioning. Loves a big crunching tackle though.

Lin Jong was probably the pick of the mids. Never gives up and loves the hard stuff.

Adcock was ok I suppose. He looked like he was just running through the motions of a pre season game. I would of like to see a bit more endeavour with a new team though. He is constantly yelling instructions for the younger player which is good.

chef
07-03-2016, 08:50 AM
I think Max Gawn is going to be one of the leagues best ruckman very soon. I see a few Melbourne games with a mate and yeah he has had solid improvement since coming back from his knee injury. Competitive beast.

Whilst on Melbourne's players number 13, Clayton Oliver I think, gee he looks good for a young player.

Clayton is one of my daughters friends, top young man and going to be a cracking player.

Mofra
07-03-2016, 10:06 AM
2 knee recos and 10 operations on his knees already in the past few years. Injury free he's a gun, but can he stay on the park? Shades of Mummy for me.

Ozza
07-03-2016, 10:29 AM
I haven't read previous pages - so apologies if I'm repeating what others have said;

Key take outs for me were;

- Only 1 (Libba) of the 15 players we have that are 'walk up starts' played in the game. So it was a very good effort to have so many missing and be a chance to win until the last 3 or 4 minutes.
- Great to see Libba moving well.
- Jong was good and put his name in the mix for round 1.
- Hrovat was good early, but was almost trying to hard and made some mistakes as a result.
- Boyd looked pretty good. Having so many big blokes out there - they got in each others way a bit.
- I'd pick Campbell to ruck in round 1. If Roughead doesn't play tall back, I don't think he should be picked.

Ozza
07-03-2016, 10:36 AM

We probably could have put Melbourne away when we were dominating early. But it is to be expected that skill execution would be down when you consider we had;

-No players from Guernsey numbers 1-11.
- Plus no Dickson, Morris, JJ, Picken and Biggs.

merantau
07-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Tony Shaw once severely concussed himself by running into a tree.
Yes, that knock played real havoc with the limited grey matter he had in the first place. His recovery, although slow, has been steady and I believe the medical staff are satisfied with his progress to date.

LostDoggy
07-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Looked at the game a bit now. Really loving Dunkley, how assured and hard nosed is he? Our midfield depth is seriously powerful and quite a few of them are big bodies now as well. Can see a lot of changes week to week this year. Have never looked forward to a season more.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Just watching the game now.

First Q observations:

- Hrovat and Jong both started very well. Pleasing to see as both are on the cusp of the senior side.
- Boyd looks in great shape, he looks more mobile too. Not overly worried about the misses, he's usually a sound kick.
- Adams has done some nice things, looks better than he did last week which is encouraging.
- Libba's movement is encouraging
- Dunkley did some nice things

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Second Q observations:

- Really liking Libbas movement and Dunkley will get games this year
- Roughy has competed well, Campbell has too but not sure that any of them are commanding a position
- Lynch has done some nice things under pressure, handled the ball cleanly and quick to dispose of it
- Aside from one bad error by foot, Collins had competed well and loves tackling. I think the struggle for him will be reading the play/playing in front, but he's solid body on body
- Adcock showed a little bit, was disappointed with him early but been better
- Hamling is ahead of Roberts
- Some of Hrovats old, bad indecisive habits crept back in along with a grubber kick. Very disappointing. Honeychurch somewhat similar, needs to be much more polished if he's to play more games
- Hamilton still looks a long way off it, needs much more urgency in his game
- Roberts has made some errors, doubt he plays R1

jazzadogs
07-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I really enjoyed Jong's first half. I'd love to see his TOG because I imagine he spent a lot of time on field and this would have accounted for his drop off in the second half.

He really looked like he'd got his explosive speed and confidence back, which were the hallmarks of his strong start last year. His skills and decision making also continue to improve. I see him being a best 22 lock by mid-season.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Third Q observations:

- Great goal by Bailey Williams, who has done some nice things too. Just got caught a few times but will be better for the run
- Daniel has been on the quieter side, but a few of the things that he has done has been impressive
- Gawn has beaten our rucks pretty easily
- McLean has been a little disappointing, I expected him to be more prominent
- Some great contests made by Dunkley
- Adams has improved a lot from last week, still makes some errors but he's looking solid. Positioning is much better and he's reading the play better
- Webb is a classy player but needs to get involved more so that we can utilise his skills. Nice goal though
- Prudden does a few nice things but at this point in his career needs to stamp himself on the game a lot more, not sure half back is his spot given he lacks pace, but he has a good left leg
- Better chemistry is needed between Boyd and Redpath, they've led to the same spot/competed for the same ball too many times
- Jongy has been terrific, will need to play next week to be given every chance to cement his spot. Must be close

boydogs
07-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I really enjoyed Jong's first half. I'd love to see his TOG because I imagine he spent a lot of time on field and this would have accounted for his drop off in the second half

It was 73%

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Fourth Q observations:

-Delivery to the forward line hasn't been great all day but the conditions haven't helped
- Our back half has held up quite well considering how undermanned it is, good signs
- Younger players definitely look tired, some poor disposal and bad decision making creeping in
- Just haven't been able to get our hands on the ball to slow down the tempo

bornadog
08-03-2016, 04:06 PM
from AFL

WESTERN Bulldogs rookie Luke Goetz will fight his fine from the Match Review Panel for pushing Melbourne defender Colin Garland over the fence.

The ruckman, who only played a small amount of game time in Sunday's NAB Challenge clash with the Dees, was offered a $1000 fine for an early guilty plea over the incident.

The MRP classified his shove on Garland as a misconduct offence, attracting a $1500 fine.

Goetz now faces paying the higher fine if his challenge is unsuccessful.

chef
08-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Should just take it on the chin. Did a stupid thing and copped a right punishment for it. He should be thankful he didn't serious hurt the fellow he pushed. Not the type of thing I like seeing our players do.

always right
08-03-2016, 11:46 PM
Lost the appeal and now pays a $1500 fine. Baffling decision to appeal.....who's advising him?

LostDoggy
09-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Lost the appeal and now pays a $1500 fine. Baffling decision to appeal.....who's advising him?

Tania Hird and Paul Little.

LostDoggy
09-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Would love to know what the rotation qty was for each side.
Almost gurantee we had half the amount of the Chalet Demons whilst still fielding one less player during the game.
Same happeed against GWSucks with us having two less players through rotations.
Think we're in pretty good shape.

Maddog37
09-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Would love to know what the rotation qty was for each side.
Almost gurantee we had half the amount of the Chalet Demons whilst still fielding one less player during the game.
Same happeed against GWSucks with us having two less players through rotations.
Think we're in pretty good shape.

I think we had about 102 and they had 94 or something like that. I reckon I read it on melbournes bigfooty page.

Bulldog Joe
10-03-2016, 12:46 AM
I think we had about 102 and they had 94 or something like that. I reckon I read it on melbournes bigfooty page.

I was quoted that we had 88 and they were more in the 130 range, but I don't really know.