PDA

View Full Version : AFL Free Agents - 2016

bornadog
03-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Restricted

Daniel Rich, Nathan Brown, Steele Sidebottom, Jack Grimes, Jack Watts, Ty Vickery, Sean Dempster

Unrestricted

R Henderson, S Thompson, N Van Berlo; D Merrett; D Armfield, K Simpson; J Blair, B Macaffer, D Swan, A Toovey, C Dempsey, H Hocking, C Hooker, D Myers, T Pears, B Stanton; Z Clarke, M de Boer, C Mayne, M Pavlich, C Pearce, A Sandilands, J Bartel, C Enright, T Lonergan; L Hodge, S Mitchell, B Whitecross; N Jetta, J Spencer, M Firrito, B Harvey, D Petrie, L Thomas, D Wells; P Stewart; S Fisher, L Montagna, N Riewoldt; K Jack, T Richards, M Brown, S Butler, P McGinnity, W Schofield; M Boyd, W Minson, D Morris, R Murphy

bulldogtragic
03-03-2016, 11:00 AM
My top 5 (assuming some get locked away like Brown): Hooker, Heppell, Hurley, Daniel Rich, Zak Clarke.

Axe Man
03-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Hooker being unrestricted is a bit of a surprise. There has been no confirmation that other Essendon players like Heppell and Hurley will be free agents has there?

G-Mo77
03-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Sidebottom signed a 5 year deal last week (I think)

LostDoggy
03-03-2016, 11:41 AM
My understanding with the banned EFC players is that they are not officially listed as UFA's, but they have been advised that should they choose to, they can walk out of their contracts due to EFC's conduct breaching the terms of the contract, effectively making them UFA's (in practical terms).

In that case, I'd put Hurley right up there with Hooker at the top of the list. He would fit into CHB for us perfectly.

Greystache
03-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Hooker being unrestricted is a bit of a surprise. There has been no confirmation that other Essendon players like Heppell and Hurley will be free agents has there?

Hooker's 27 and 2016 will his 9th year on Essendon's list. It catches people by surprise because he took quite a while to hit his straps at AFL level.

Axe Man
03-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Hooker's 27 and 2016 will his 9th year on Essendon's list. It catches people by surprise because he took quite a while to hit his straps at AFL level.

No I mean it's a surprise he's not in the top 25% of earners at the bombers. Apparently he signed his current contract in 2013 so I guess it was before he emerged as a top line player and consequently isn't on big dollars.

westdog54
03-03-2016, 07:23 PM
No I mean it's a surprise he's not in the top 25% of earners at the bombers. Apparently he signed his current contract in 2013 so I guess it was before he emerged as a top line player and consequently isn't on big dollars.

This.

He's grown immensely as a footballer in the last 2 years.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Dear AFL Free Agents, (esp. Hurley, Heppell, Hooker, Rich & Clarke),

Don't sign on to your existing club, get into this ride next year!!

Regards,

BT

bornadog
27-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Regards,

BT

They can be a part of back to back. :)

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Rumours are Hooker's management have some major indicative offers for him to leave Essendon. My uninformed guess would be Freo.

The other rumour is Hurley is not training with the main Essendon group. Maybe he's not going back...

EasternWest
04-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Yes to Hooker, no to Hurley.

craigsahibee
04-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Regards,

BT

Aside from Heppell, the others may have to bide their time with Footscray.

1eyedog
04-04-2016, 03:43 PM
No to Hooker, yes to Hurley.

The Doctor
04-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Zac Clarke anyone?

Maddog37
04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Zac Clarke anyone?

Not after what I saw in game one.

GVGjr
04-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Not after what I saw in game one.

Do you know he was injured at the opening contest?

Maddog37
04-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Do you know he was injured at the opening contest?

I did read that but he really lacks intensity IMHO.

GVGjr
04-04-2016, 08:09 PM
I did read that but he really lacks intensity IMHO.

Okay, I thought you were basing it just on his round one performance.

Maddog37
04-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Okay, I thought you were basing it just on his round one performance.

Partly. First time I had seen him live and his body language was very poor I thought.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2016, 12:31 PM
Ty Vickery (restricted free agent) and his management are "in no rush to commence contract talks with Richmond at the moment".

Would he be worth making play for? Essentially Minson retires or leaves to a club of his choice, that spot and salary to get Vickery without the need to trade. That'd leave us Campbell, Roughy, Vickey & Boyd as ruck/KPP. Goetz developing in the background.

ledge
24-04-2016, 01:02 PM
No we have Redpath as well remember, wouldn't touch Vickory, if the ball hits the ground he is a liability, don't think he has a defensive bone in his body to put pressure on the backs when they have the ball either, our mantra.

lemmon
24-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Not keen on Vickery either. Not an upgrade on what we have

F'scary
24-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Not keen on Vickery either. Not an upgrade on what we have

Also, it seems to me that he is a bit dumb. Don't want to be mean but doesn't fit into our list on that score. Wilbur has his moments on the field but is an engineer, plays the saxophone and speaks German. Yeah, I know, the first two don't help him once he crosses the white line. But if he gets into the habit of swearing and sledging in German, his main playing problems will just about be solved

bulldogtragic
13-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Heppell has signed on. That leaves only two players worth looking at, at the right price, Hurley and Bellchambers if we are looking for a mature ruck/forward if Minson goes.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Heppell has signed on. That leaves only two players worth looking at, at the right price, Hurley and Bellchambers if we are looking for a mature ruck/forward if Minson goes.

I thought Bellchambers agreed to a new deal?

bulldogtragic
13-05-2016, 01:19 PM
I thought Bellchambers agreed to a new deal?

The article on afl.com.au about Heppell says Bellchambers, Hurley and give others haven't announced if they're staying on at Essendon in 2017. That's relying on them to be accurate...

bornadog
13-05-2016, 01:22 PM
The article on afl.com.au about Heppell says Bellchambers, Hurley and give others haven't announced if they're staying on at Essendon in 2017. That's relying on them to be accurate...

Fair enough, I was going by this (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tom-bellchambers-set-to-become-latest-banned-bombers-to-commit-to-essendon/news-story/6e2fbd79000b59f0e227f6f3c1cdc950) article.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Fair enough, I was going by this (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tom-bellchambers-set-to-become-latest-banned-bombers-to-commit-to-essendon/news-story/6e2fbd79000b59f0e227f6f3c1cdc950) article.

I can't see it but presume The Hun would be more likely to be right over afl.com.au - So really only Hurley of any substance left then.

jeemak
13-05-2016, 08:08 PM
I can't see it but presume The Hun would be more likely to be right over afl.com.au - So really only Hurley of any substance left then.

A big slap in the face to afl.com!

bulldogtragic
13-05-2016, 08:24 PM
A big slap in the face to afl.com!

Yep! No one is safe in my book...

bulldogtragic
10-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Bellchambers re-signed to Essendon.

1eyedog
10-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Bellchambers re-signed to Essendon.

What a dickhead. All who sign are dickheads ,sorta like going back to live with the abusive step mother.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2016, 09:06 PM
What a dickhead. All who sign are dickheads ,sorta like going back to live with the abusive step mother.

Most of them have gotten 5 year mega bucks deals. For blokes who may never get back playing decent footy, 5 years guaranteed wages is a good thing. Completely irresponsible list management which will deprive them any chance to rebuild in over a decade (see Carlton after the salary cap stuff). So be it.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Most of them have gotten 5 year mega bucks deals. For blokes who may never get back playing decent footy, 5 years guaranteed wages is a good thing. Completely irresponsible list management which will deprive them any chance to rebuild in over a decade (see Carlton after the salary cap stuff). So be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjz5qtOuWfU

bulldogtragic
27-06-2016, 03:49 PM
I was reading that North's policy for players 30+ is a one year deal, and that Daniel Wells is after two. Wells is an unrestricted free agent. If we are after good ball users with pace, should be looking into offering Wells the two year deal he wants?

Ozza
27-06-2016, 04:50 PM
I was reading that North's policy for players 30+ is a one year deal, and that Daniel Wells is after two. Wells is an unrestricted free agent. If we are after good ball users with pace, should be looking into offering Wells the two year deal he wants?

Interesting one. Wells is a fantastic player at his best, North are a far better side with him up and going. And you would imagine we would benefit from such a good ball user & line breaker.
Downside is that he hasn't been particularly durable. Hasn't played every game of a season since 2006 & averages 14 games a season in the last 7.

The Doctor
27-06-2016, 06:02 PM
No to Wells for the durability reason Ozza pointed out + the age factor.

and,

What about our own list management policy for over 30's? If ours is the same and we only offer 1 year terms and we offer Wells 2 that would be a slap in the face to our veterans. But also to guys like Redpath who are busting a gut to play with us.

boydogs
27-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Wells' durability will only get worse as he gets older. Asking for trouble there

bulldogtragic
07-07-2016, 02:33 AM
Reports are Jack Watts is re-signing, so rest easy about any talk of whether we could have turned him around.

bornadog
04-08-2016, 06:12 PM
List of FA not yet signed.

Adelaide
Ricky Henderson
Scott Thompson
Nathan van Berlo
Brisbane Lions
Daniel Merrett
Carlton
Kade Simpson
Dennis Armfield
Collingwood
Jarryd Blair
Nathan Brown (R)
Brent Macaffer
Dane Swan
Alan Toovey
Essendon
Courtenay Dempsey
Brent Stanton
Tayte Pears
Fremantle
Zac Clarke
Matt de Boer
Chris Mayne
Clancee Pearce
Matthew Pavlich
Geelong
Jimmy Bartel
Corey Enright
Tom Lonergan
Hawthorn
Luke Hodge
Brendan Whitecross
Melbourne
Jack Grimes (R)
North Melbourne
Michael Firrito
Brent Harvey
Drew Petrie
Daniel Wells
Port Adelaide
Paul Stewart
Richmond
Tyrone Vickery (R)
St Kilda
Sean Dempster (R)
Sam Fisher
Sydney Swans
Ted Richards
West Coast
Mitch Brown
Sam Butler
Patrick McGinnity
Western Bulldogs
Matthew Boyd
Will Minson

bornadog
06-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Friday, October 7: Free agency period opens. It closes on Sunday, October 16.

bulldogtragic
08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Being that we haven't been linked to a single free agent, and still have players to sign, it seems we are taking the year off from free agency shopping.

Bulldog Joe
08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Being that we haven't been linked to a single free agent, and still have players to sign, it seems we are taking the year off from free agency shopping.

Agree.

We just don't have spots on the list and are finding it difficult to identify players to go out.

Luckily the Boyd deal makes it harder to retain our players.:D

comrade
08-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Not exactly a bumper crop in 2016. Best to retain our required depth players, bring in a few quality kids via draft, solidify the forward line with Crameri and Cloke and look to the 2017 free agent/uncontracted class where there are plenty of good players to choose from.

Hopefully being back to back premiers makes us a hot destination.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Vickery to Hawthorn confirmed. Pick 26 compo.

Pushed our second rounder out to 38 now.

Topdog
10-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Buddy for 19. Vickory for 26.

Yep no need to alter that system.

bornadog
10-10-2016, 02:07 PM

Joke.

LostDoggy
10-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Chook Bloody Lotto.
Just pick a number out of a hat GILL!!!:mad:

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Chook Bloody Lotto.
Just pick a number out of a hat GILL!!!:mad:

Not chook lotto, just stupid. There's no ability to have a first rounder above the natural first pick in the Buddy case. Richmond's compo was about the same compo we got for Higgins which is about right. It's a flawed system that needs some review I'd be suggesting.

Remi Moses
10-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Staggered what Collingwood have offfered up for Wells
3 years !! At 600 large a season ! 1 year to long .
Chris Mayne as well !!
I think it's operation Saving Private Buckley

Remi Moses
10-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Franklin's contract is at its optimum next season .
Losing Mitchell is pretty big

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Chris Mayne as well !!

It's got a dirty ranky stank of desperation about it.

LostDoggy
10-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Chris Mayne as well !!

MOOOWHAHAHAHA!!!!
Chris Mayne what a spud!!!!!!

EasternWest
10-10-2016, 10:16 PM
MOOOWHAHAHAHA!!!!
Chris Mayne what a spud!!!!!!

Mayne isn't a spud, but his best is well behind him and I can't see any reason to get him.

1eyedog
10-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Vickery to Hawthorn confirmed. Pick 26 compo.

Pushed our second rounder out to 38 now.

Didn't Essendumb get around 26 for Crameri? I know who is the far better footballer. Bloody joke.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Didn't Essendumb get around 26 for Crameri? I know who is the far better footballer. Bloody joke.

That's what we traded them.

It's not a subjective test. It's all about the contract, and to a degree the ladder position. James Frawley was not worth pick 3. A lot of the AFEL logic can come down to trying to have an objective test when there's many variables which throws up bad and big inconsistencies. Based on the framework, I can see how the current system values him at their second round pick. There needs to be an overhaul of that there is no doubt.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2016, 05:09 PM
North also get an in round second rounder, like Richmond. Pick 32.

Pushes our second rounder out to 39.

boydogs
12-10-2016, 09:03 PM
North also get an in round second rounder, like Richmond. Pick 32.

Pushes our second rounder out to 39.

40 now, 23 for Mayne

bulldogtragic
13-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Nathan Brown still sitting as a free agent. His brother Mitch has stated he wants to head back to Victoria after his wife switched her professional netball club from WA to Victoria.

bulldogtragic
14-10-2016, 06:43 PM
The only other KPD free agent, apart from the Brown boys, is 32yo Tom Lonergan.

I wonder if as a contingency, these guys are having medicals before the fee agency cut off on Sunday.

comrade
14-10-2016, 09:23 PM
I'd rather go in with a mid-tall defensive combo of Roberts, Wood, Collins, Cordy and Morris than throw cap space away on Longergan and the Brown Brothers.

Axe Man
02-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Daniel Wells has reportedly done his calf in the first week of training at Collingwood to the surprise of absolutely nobody (except Bucks).

Good luck with that 3 year deal Pies!

Topdog
02-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Daniel Wells has reportedly done his calf in the first week of training while on a modified training load at Collingwood to the surprise of absolutely nobody (except Bucks).

even better

choconmientay
03-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Daniel Wells has reportedly done his calf in the first week of training at Collingwood to the surprise of absolutely nobody (except Bucks).

Your post read like the headline of the HS.

I predict next year is the last year of Bucks. 😁 Shortcut and stopgap never work well.

bornadog
03-12-2016, 04:19 AM

I predict next year is the last year of Bucks.  Shortcut and stopgap never work well.

Maybe gone by mid season.

LostDoggy
03-12-2016, 07:14 AM

I predict next year is the last year of Bucks.  Shortcut and stopgap never work well.

I can see it now - the final nail in his coffin will be the blistering form of discard Travis Cloke :)

bulldogtragic
03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
I can see it now - the final nail in his coffin will be the blistering form of discard Travis Cloke :)

They'll be riots in Collngwood. I can't wait to see them.

choconmientay
03-12-2016, 10:49 AM
They'll be riots in Collngwood. I can't wait to see them.

There will be calls for Eddie to pack his bags to go with his favorite son Bucks ��

bulldogtragic
03-12-2016, 11:02 AM
There will be calls for Eddie to pack his bags to go with his favorite son Bucks ��

Eddie has overseen the youngest recent premiership team in 2010 go nowhere. Burned Malthouse. Installed an untried coach who has taken the list backwards on the ladder every year. Has overseen a recent exodus of senior managers. Has overseen the over investment in Treloar & Aish. Has overseen the recruitment of White, Wells & Mayne on large dollars and others have left for nothing such as Cloke & Nathan Brown this year. Has overseen a toxic culture and also found time to suggest that drowning Caroline Wilson would be good and that Adam Goodes should play the role of a monkey after a Collingwood supporter offended Goodes with the term.

Frankly, he should've gone already if the club was the priority. But it's not.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2016, 01:01 PM
Eddie has overseen the youngest recent premiership team in 2010 go nowhere. Burned Malthouse. Installed an untried coach who has taken the list backwards on the ladder every year. Has overseen a recent exodus of senior managers. Has overseen the over investment in Treloar & Aish. Has overseen the recruitment of White, Wells & Mayne on large dollars and others have left for nothing such as Cloke & Nathan Brown this year. Has overseen a toxic culture and also found time to suggest that drowning Caroline Wilson would be good and that Adam Goodes should play the role of a monkey after a Collingwood supporter offended Goodes with the term.

Frankly, he should've gone already if the club was the priority. But it's not.

And we must not forget the recent appointment of Gubby Allan that lasted 5 minutes and cost them Neil Balme.