PDA

View Full Version : Our most underrated players, past and present, and why.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 03:12 AM
Who are our current and past most underrated players, and why?

Mitch Wallis

I think because he came on the scene with Libba, and also his style is not that fluid, not really quite thrust forward as a superstar.
( Bontempelli and Dahlhaus are more fun to say than 'Wallis').
But he gets the job done amazingly well for a young bloke and continues to improve in all areas. He's pretty much doubled the number of disposals he had from 2014 to 2015 and really took the load when it mattered. When we drafted him, he was averaging kicking efficiency of 83%.
15 goals from 20 games in 2016. I think a lot of the reason for us not missing Libba and rising so far was down to our midfield group and look at the improvement in his stats. Might not be as flashy as Bont, but kicked a similar amount of goals.

In the past

Mitch Hahn
Always did a lot of work around packs, and was a real club man. Probably should have been dropped late in his career a few times and survived on credit, maybe leaving a bad taste in the mouth. But I loved his attack on the ball, and was a real favorite of mine.

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks GD, Good thread.

When Koby Stevens arrived at the Whitten Oval in 2013 many members were dirty on the trade (pick 44) with West Coast and I could never fathom that out. Since that time, and in particular the last 12 months, he has won just about all of them over with his hard work and the general improvements in his game plus the fact that he also chimes in with some important goals.
Like Dickson he has proved the doubters wrong and is seen not only as a leader within the playing group but a real hard nut on the field and one of the more versatile players at the club.

Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman had played 60 plus games at two other clubs before he arrived at Footscray.
A 193cm versatile player who mainly played as a CHF for us. Coleman was a far better player for us than many people gave him credit for and I think often it was a case of the Galaxy nickname working against him but there were occasions when he wasn't quite switched on and it stood out a bit with the fans.
He arrived at the club in 1990 which was the same time as Chris Grant and I think it was a FF/CHF tandem that worked pretty well especially for the young Grant. I can recall one game against Carlton when David Rhys-Jones was niggling away at Chris Grant trying to rough him up behind play and Coleman kept retaliating on Grants behalf. Invaluable player who could take a turn in the ruck.
Coleman played 69 games for us kicking 51 goals and he is one of only two players to have played more than 50 games at 3 different clubs (Leigh Brown is the other) I thought the #20 was a very underrated player for us and it was a shame his final season was an injury riddled one.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Current: Why couldn't this thread be started when Jarrad was around? :D - So I go with Hrovat. Spent last year in and out, and was discussed at trade time. He's got talent to burn and I hope this is his break out season. I can't post anything with out mentioning Zaine Cordy. His surname will no doubt count against him for completely ignorant 'supporters'. I watched him over 2 years at TAC and was getting inside info from another players parents about him as a footballer and person. Zaine is a special player, when he can cement a spot he won't be underrated by anymore.

Past: Matthew Croft. Sure there's appreciation of his services, but I don't think he's as broadly rated highly as he should. In a time of gun forwards Croftly acquitted himself more than well, even beating Carey on more than one occasion. At times we were very thin down back, but we could always rely on Crofty.

Nathan Eagleton. Yes he's a favourite of mine and yes I know I'm in the vast minority so let's not jump on the merry go round. His finals weren't great, but neither were some others who are very appreciated. He played 221 games for us, with heaps of goals too. From memory he's in the top 20 players in our clubs entire history for games played and goals kicked, that's a fair record. He's an AFL life member.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Current: Why couldn't this thread be started when Jarrad was around? :D - So I go with Hrovat. Spent last year in and out, and was discussed at trade time. He's got talent to burn and I hope this is his break out season. I can't post anything with out mentioning Zaine Cordy. His surname will no doubt count against him for completely ignorant 'supporters'. I watched him over 2 years at TAC and was getting inside info from another players parents about him as a footballer and person. Zaine is a special player, when he can cement a spot he won't be underrated by anymore.

Past: Matthew Croft. Sure there's appreciation of his services, but I don't think he's as broadly rated highly as he should. In a time of gun forwards Croftly acquitted himself more than well, even beating Carey on more than one occasion. At times we were very thin down back, but we could always rely on Crofty.

Nathan Eagleton. Yes he's a favourite of mine and yes I know I'm in the vast minority so let's not jump on the merry go round. His finals weren't great, but neither were some others who are very appreciated. He played 221 games for us, with heaps of goals too. From memory he's in the top 20 players in our clubs entire history for games played and goals kicked, that's a fair record. He's an AFL life member.

I love Crofty, and beating Carey was no mean feat.

LostDoggy
06-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Of the current players, one who gets under the radar a bit is Jackson Macrae. Is tracking to be an elite player but is not broadly recognised in the wider community the way a few others were. It was apparent early on that he had some great traits and a great physique for the modern game, but what I really like is the work he has put into his weaknesses.

The odd horror kick has become much less prevelant and, after being critised for his defensive efforts early, he turned it around by laying 5.6 tackles per game last year (which puts him in the top ten of all Bulldogs in the recorded history of the stat). All of the talk about him is that he is a tremendous learner and leader around the place. As long as he stays healthy, he will be a Bulldog great.

My nomination for past player would be Steve Kretiuk. He was a gifted player who could've played anywhere but often played negating roles on bigger, taller opponents for the good of the team. As a result of this, and a propensity to use his body as a battering ram, he was almost always injured but was still coverings the kilometres and boring in more than his share.

When I think about Kretiuk, I think about a match where he ran with Nathan Buckley as a Ruck Rover in his prime all day and blanketed him and then 2 or 3 weeks later played CHB on Wayne Carey and again gave his all. Was much more talented than most remember but sacrificed so much, would've been amongst the first picked in any team, any era.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 01:14 PM
I love Crofty, and beating Carey was no mean feat.

Ditto. Whether it was a high ball in, or on the lead, I always felt Crofty was always in the contest and a good chance to do his thing. He wasn't flashy or likely to be on many highlight reels from week to week, but taking Lake aside he's our best full back of the last 15-20 years arguably.

bulldogtragic
06-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Of the current players, one who gets under the radar a bit is Jackson Macrae. Is tracking to be an elite player but is not broadly recognised in the wider community the way a few others were. It was apparent early on that he had some great traits and a great physique for the modern game, but what I really like is the work he has put into his weaknesses.

The odd horror kick has become much less prevelant and, after being critised for his defensive efforts early, he turned it around by laying 5.6 tackles per game last year (which puts him in the top ten of all Bulldogs in the recorded history of the stat). All of the talk about him is that he is a tremendous learner and leader around the place. As long as he stays healthy, he will be a Bulldog great.

My nomination for past player would be Steve Kretiuk. He was a gifted player who could've played anywhere but often played negating roles on bigger, taller opponents for the good of the team. As a result of this, and a propensity to use his body as a battering ram, he was almost always injured but was still coverings the kilometres and boring in more than his share.

When I think about Kretiuk, I think about a match where he ran with Nathan Buckley as a Ruck Rover in his prime all day and blanketed him and then 2 or 3 weeks later played CHB on Wayne Carey and again gave his all. Was much more talented than most remember but sacrificed so much, would've been amongst the first picked in any team, any era.

Anyone that punches Matthew Lloydy Lloyd in his broken hand is a man I envy. Knitter was seriously good, especially giving up height on most opponents, much like Shaggy used to too..

boydogs
06-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Tom Boyd, he's judged through the lens of his trade & contract but even at 19 he straightened us up and brought the ball to ground. Looking forward to seeing him after another preseason

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Tom Boyd, he's judged through the lens of his trade & contract but even at 19 he straightened us up and brought the ball to ground. Looking forward to seeing him after another preseason

But he's not underrated is he?

boydogs
06-03-2016, 02:18 PM
But he's not underrated is he?

Like I said, he's judged based on his trade & contract and rated poorly based on that. For such a big lad, 14 games in his second season holding his own both up forward and in the ruck is a good result. If he came to the club as Suckling did, people would be a lot more upbeat about him

GVGjr
06-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Like I said, he's judged based on his trade & contract and rated poorly based on that. For such a big lad, 14 games in his second season holding his own both up forward and in the ruck is a good result. If he came to the club as Suckling did, people would be a lot more upbeat about him

That might be worth a discussion on a different thread about expectations on high draft picks and highly paid players etc

Mofra
07-03-2016, 10:03 AM
I second this - 43 touches and 2 goals in a game as a 19 year old is something no player in the history of the game has managed.
Pre-Bonti there were comparisons with Pendles because of the way he finds space in traffic, and he does have a 2nd in our B&F to his name. Bonti & Stringer get the hype because they are freaks, but Macrae is damn close to both of them but gets 1% of the hype. Best sidestep in the game? He'd go damn close.

I note Galaxy & Kretters have been nominated who I rate, I'll go with Gloves Campbell. Hardly ever gets a mention for us but he did battle hard for us as a FB, I remember he blanketed Lockett one day at the WO. At halftime as he walked through the players race at halftime (Lockett was goalless) someone yelled out "you're killing him......" *crowd cheers* "... ya big poof!"

I guess slicked back hair and making gloves fashionable at AFL level just couldn't please some people. Can't imagine the same thing happening today.

Twodogs
07-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I second this - 43 touches and 2 goals in a game as a 19 year old is something no player in the history of the game has managed.
Pre-Bonti there were comparisons with Pendles because of the way he finds space in traffic, and he does have a 2nd in our B&F to his name. Bonti & Stringer get the hype because they are freaks, but Macrae is damn close to both of them but gets 1% of the hype. Best sidestep in the game? He'd go damn close.

I note Galaxy & Kretters have been nominated who I rate, I'll go with Gloves Campbell. Hardly ever gets a mention for us but he did battle hard for us as a FB, I remember he blanketed Lockett one day at the WO. At halftime as he walked through the players race at halftime (Lockett was goalless) someone yelled out "you're killing him......" *crowd cheers* "... ya big poof!"

I guess slicked back hair and making gloves fashionable at AFL level just couldn't please some people. Can't imagine the same thing happening today.

Simon Beasley said he could always judge how well he was playing on whether he heard "good on ya pieman" or "get back to Western Australia ya liberal voting stockbroker poofta" from the other side of the race at halftime,

merantau
07-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Underrated today - Mitch Wallis.
In the past - Stephen Power, Stan Davidson, Gordon Casey, Garry Merrington and Matthew Croft. But of all I would nominate Steve Kretiuk. He was a dead set goer. Took no prisoners, punched above his weight and played an important role road testing prosthetic devices - Matthew Lloyd can testify re Steve's dedication to this role.

LostDoggy
09-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Present- Koby Stevens
He just keeps putting in time and time again.
Cement head, love the way he goes about it like a cut snake.
Love his passion.

Past-Micky Egan
Dour defender who never gave up and would give his all every week.

LostDoggy
09-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Present- Koby Stevens
Love his passion.

Past-Micky Egan

Great call with Mick Egan Redders. Was my favourite player around 1982, just never gave up even when we were getting smashed and his opponent was much bigger. The quintessential back pocket you'd want with you in the trenches.

jeemak
09-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Past - Daniel Giansiracusa. Playing arguably the most difficult position on the ground in the modern game largely because it was needed by the team, he was pilloried by many for what they saw as a single but glaring weakness when aside from that he was almost the complete player.

Present - it's hard to go past Macrae as others have mentioned. We won't know how pivotal he is to our midfield until he's not there for whatever reason.

Ghost Dog
09-03-2016, 03:31 AM
That's a good one Jeemak. In his days as a sub he regularly came on and scored quickly. Showing just how crafty he was. Loved the way he could draw a free, or position himself perfectly. Just such a smart player and I was often furious at the footy hearing our own fans say negative things about him.

Murphy'sLore
09-03-2016, 08:50 AM
On Gia's tombstone it will say, 'Such a smart player.' :)

1eyedog
09-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Present- Koby Stevens
Love his passion.

Past-Micky Egan

Ditto on Egan. My nomination is Andrew Purser. Undersized but never beaten. The quintessential team player and a very good ruckman.

Twodogs
09-03-2016, 09:23 AM
I third Micky Egan. Didn't have many tools but he still got to wear the big Vee. He was a player who made the most of what he had.

The Doctor
09-03-2016, 12:30 PM
slot Egan into our 85 line up and the preliminary might have had a different outcome!

Sedat
09-03-2016, 12:42 PM
slot Egan into our 85 line up and the preliminary might have had a different outcome!
He might have played a little tighter on Lethal in the last qtr that Brad Hardie did!

Great nomination Redders.

craigsahibee
09-03-2016, 01:59 PM

But Mick wouldn't have had the run, creativity and flair to get us to the stage where we would have needed him.

azabob
09-03-2016, 04:04 PM

How come he missed?

LostDoggy
09-03-2016, 04:14 PM
How come he missed?

He did his knee in mid 1985 and didn't make it back till mid 1986.

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Paul Hudson among the most underrated for me. Would surely be one of the best few forwards since 1990. All australian. Bags of goals. Yet he's largely forgotten.

Danny Southern is in the Kretiuk mold. Great skillful player but ask most afl supporters and they will use the word 'thug'. Could not be more wrong.

Webby
10-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Paul Hudson among the most underrated for me. Would surely be one of the best few forwards since 1990. All australian. Bags of goals. Yet he's largely forgotten.

Danny Southern is in the Kretiuk mold. Great skillful player but ask most afl supporters and they will use the word 'thug'. Could not be more wrong.

I agree. I've got a LOT of time for forwards who kick straight for goal. They're invaluable. Tory Dickson is cut from the same cloth. Get it in their hands, and they convert.

A very, very underrated stat. Particularly if they have a knack of finding space and presenting as an option.

Twodogs
10-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Paul Hudson among the most underrated for me. Would surely be one of the best few forwards since 1990. All Australian Bags of goals. Yet he's largely forgotten.

Playing a lot as a mid fielder that year too. I remember someone telling me when Huddo signed with us that he was our consolation prize after Shannon Grant dropped out of signing with us at the last minute because Libba was quoted all over the back page of the herald-sun saying he hadn't been payed for the previous year. Pretty good replacement. And did we get a draft pick from Richmond when he was all done or did they waste a pick at the draft just to make sure they had a big stage to display their ineptitude on?

I could have killed him when he got in Chris Grant's way in the '97 prelim though.

1eyedog
10-03-2016, 11:56 PM
I agree. I've got a LOT of time for forwards who kick straight for goal. They're invaluable. Tory Dickson is cut from the same cloth. Get it in their hands, and they convert.

A very, very underrated stat. Particularly if they have a knack of finding space and presenting as an option.

Yep, nothing puts the opposition under more pressure than scoreboard pressure and nothing lets them off the hook more than inaccuracy in front of the big sticks. You kick them when you get the opportunity and all sorts of things start happening across the ground in your favour.

bornadog
11-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Yep, nothing puts the opposition under more pressure than scoreboard pressure and nothing lets them off the hook more than inaccuracy in front of the big sticks. You kick them when you get the opportunity and all sorts of things start happening across the ground in your favour.

I wonder if Grant had of nailed those three goals he missed in the Elimination final whether he would still be on our list?