PDA

View Full Version : NAB Challenge Game 3 v Collingwood - Etihad Saturday March 12

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
09-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood

Saturday 12 March, 1.10pm

Venue

Etihad Stadium, 740 Bourke St, Docklands

Broadcast

TV: Fox Footy 1:00pm (AEST)

Radio: 3AW 1:05pm, SEN 1116 1:00pm

Ticketing Information

Ticket windows will open for sales at 11.45am.

Public gates will open at 12pm.

Access members can scan their membership to enter the ground – can enter at any gate.

Membership sales and inquiries available at Gate 5. Members who have signed up recently can collect their card from there too.

Fans can also stay on to watch the Haw vs. North match for free too if they attend our game.

- See more at: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-08/match-day-info-bulldogs-v-collingwood#sthash.uIgyR1VS.dpuf

ledge
09-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Maybe a silly question but the gate takings , do they just go straight to the AFL pockets or are they split between the teams or is it treated as our home game?
If the revenue gets split between the two clubs maybe we should put in to play the big sides in all
Three NAB cup games.

Twodogs
09-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Maybe a silly question but the gate takings , do they just go straight to the AFL pockets or are they split between the teams or is it treated as our home game?
If the revenue gets split between the two clubs maybe we should put in to play the big sides in all
Three NAB cup games.

It's a good question. God knows where the money goes is my answer.

Even when they explain stuff like that I often don't understand the explanation...

Axe Man
10-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Bulldogs load-up for final NAB Challenge (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-10/dogs-load-up-for-pies)

The Western Bulldogs have made 15-changes, naming their strongest NAB Challenge line-up yet for Saturday afternoon’s final NAB Challenge match against Collingwood at Etihad Stadium.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge has loaded up on experience for his side’s last hit-out prior to the home and away season, with All-Australian’s Robert Murphy, Jake Stringer and Easton Wood, as well as young gun Marcus Bontempelli amongst the inclusions for the weekend.

The Bulldogs will be looking to emulate the performance that earned them a 61-point victory over the Pies in the corresponding fixture last season.

Senior players Matthew Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus and Mitch Wallis have also been named in the squad and the backline will be bolstered by the return 2015 Most Improved Player award winner Jason Johannsen and veteran Dale Morris.

Draftees Marcus Adams and Kieran Collins and have also been named in the 27-man squad.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Matt Suckling, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Marcus Bontempelli, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Luke Dahlhaus, 7. Lachie Hunter, 9. Jake Stringer, 10. Easton Wood, 11. Jack Macrae, 13. Nathan Hrovat, 15. Tom Campbell, 16. Toby McLean, 17. Tom Boyd, 21. Tom Liberatore, 23. Jordan Roughead, 24. Shane Biggs, 25. Koby Stevens, 30. Joel Hamling, 32. Kieran Collins, 33. Marcus Adams, 35. Caleb Daniel, 38. Dale Morris, 39. Jason Johannisen, 42. Liam Picken, 43. Jack Redpath, 46. Lin Jong

COLLINGWOOD

1. Alex Fasolo, 2. Jordan De Goey, 3. Brent Macaffer, 7. Adam Treloar, 8. Tom Langdon, 10. Scott Pendlebury, 11. Jarryd Blair, 13. Taylor Adams, 14. James Aish, 15. Jarrod Witts, 16. Nathan Brown, 17. Jonathon Marsh, 18. Travis Varcoe, 19. Levi Greenwood, 22. Steele Sidebottom, 25. Jack Crisp, 26. Marley Williams, 28. Ben Sinclair, 30. Darcy Moore, 31. Jackson Ramsay, 32. Travis Cloke, 34. Alan Toovey 36. Dane Swan, 37. Brayden Maynard, 43. Adam Oxley, 44. Corey Gault, 45. Jack Frost

Axe Man
10-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Notable omissions:
Roberts
Webb
Dunkley
Honeychurch
Minson
Dickson
Dale

Mofra
10-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Interesting. No Minson.
I assume we won't debut both Adams and Collins Round 1, and Hamling played closer tot he CHB role so Adams vs Hamling for one spot seems about right.

Campbell vs Roughy

Perhaps Boyd vs Redpath or McLean vs Daniel to determine who makes way fro the last round 1 spot.

bornadog
10-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Interesting. No Minson.
I assume we won't debut both Adams and Collins Round 1, and Hamling played closer tot he CHB role so Adams vs Hamling for one spot seems about right.

Campbell vs Roughy

Perhaps Boyd vs Redpath or McLean vs Daniel to determine who makes way fro the last round 1 spot.

I think the MC prefers Campbell over Minson. I also think Roughead will also be in the team come round 1.

Murphy'sLore
10-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Dickson must be injured. Bugger. Hope it's nothing serious.

always right
10-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Notable omissions:
Roberts
Webb
Dunkley
Honeychurch
Minson
Dickson
Dale

and no Adcock either.

Dickson the most notable absentee for mine.

Twodogs
10-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Dickson must be injured. Bugger. Hope it's nothing serious.

He must be. Either that or it's a really long rest which would be surprising given he's only played a half of football.

comrade
10-03-2016, 03:56 PM
So it's TC over Minson for Rd 1 then?

Mofra
10-03-2016, 04:00 PM
So it's TC over Minson for Rd 1 then?
You'd assume so.

Hamling out, Roberts in according to twitter now. Makes Adams a very, very good chance for round 1 now

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Dickson is a big blow given Crameri is already gone. Presuming he is now a big doubt for R1, that means 2 of our main 3 forward weapons will be missing. Big holes but also big opportunities.

Big man situation a little clearer, with Roberts and Minson now looking to be option B (or C).

Presumably it's 2 of Collins/Hamling/Adams at the key back posts and any 3 of Campbell/Boyd/Roughy/Redpath for Ruck/Forward, with Campbell the only one looking highly likely.

With the mids, I'd reckon it's down to Biggs, Jong, Hrovat, McLean and Daniel fighting for 2 spots, the rest appear locks.

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 04:29 PM
You'd assume so.

Hamling out, Roberts in according to twitter now. Makes Adams a very, very good chance for round 1 now

Any reason given?

kruder
10-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Bummer about Dickson. Amazing the amount of times he was able to steady us/ keep us in the game by kicking straight. Straight kicking is still underrated in the AFL.

Just having a look at the side surely we wouldn't go in against Fremantle with Boyd, Redpath, Campbell and Roughead?

The only way I see that working is if Roughead is fullback which doesn't look to be on the cards going by preseason so far.

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Bummer about Dickson. Amazing the amount of times he was able to steady us/ keep us in the game by kicking straight. Straight kicking is still underrated in the AFL.

Just having a look at the side surely we wouldn't go in against Fremantle with Boyd, Redpath, Campbell and Roughead?

The only way I see that working is if Roughead is fullback which doesn't look to be on the cards going by preseason so far.

Currently, we have a squad of 27, so it includes a few playing off for spots. I'd reckon 1 of these will be cut come R1.

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm very surprised that Hamling and Roberts haven't been the number 1 and 2 options in the games so far. Not so much performance wise but thinking about round 1. Do we want to go in with 1 or 2 first gamers as key defenders against Freo in a round 1 pressure game?

What I've seen so far of both Adams and Collins is that they may be ok down the track, some good things there but both have made some basic skill errors by foot and have been caught out of position several times allowing easy goals (from what I've seen on the limited tv vision).
I think they would struggle with the pace and pressure of a round 1 game and should be eased in via the VFL further into the season.

Is Dickson injured or sick? We were told he was ill in the GWS game, he didn't look well and finished the game early, couldn't still be sick could he?

F'scary
10-03-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm very surprised that Hamling and Roberts haven't been the number 1 and 2 options in the games so far. Not so much performance wise but thinking about round 1. Do we want to go in with 1 or 2 first gamers as key defenders against Freo in a round 1 pressure game?

What I've seen so far of both Adams and Collins is that they may be ok down the track, some good things there but both have made some basic skill errors by foot and have been caught out of position several times allowing easy goals (from what I've seen on the limited tv vision).
I think they would struggle with the pace and pressure of a round 1 game and should be eased in via the VFL further into the season.

As promising the signs are so far with both Collins and Adams, I would have thought they would not yet be in serious contention to take a defensive spot from either Hamling or Roberts.

merantau
10-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Let's all take a deep breath and bear this in mind: good sides have the depth to deal with whatever the season throws up. I think we are definitely moving in that direction depth-wise. So, I'm confident whichever 22 take the field in Round 1 they will give their all because they know the competition for a spot in the team is so intense. It's going to be one helluva season. Strap yourselves in for the ride of your lives. The planets are aligning.

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Whilst it would be unusual to take in 2 first gamers as key defenders, at least they would be playing in a team defence system in conjunction with the exceptionally well experienced group of Murphy, Morris, Boyd and Wood, which is a helluva lot more support than a traditional key defender would experience.

GVGjr
10-03-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm looking forward to this game. To me this was the game that kick started our season last year and I'd love to see a similar display

LostDoggy
10-03-2016, 10:23 PM
I'm looking forward to this game. To me this was the game that kick started our season last year and I'd love to see a similar display

Agree with you there G.
The Filth have been in some red hot form in their first 2 nab games though and it should be a cracking game.

F'scary
10-03-2016, 11:13 PM

Very true. I watched the game at the pub and we switched into a gear that we then rode up the ladder for the rest of the year. It was a revelation - even if it was only a NAB Cup match.

Twodogs
11-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Agree with you there G.
The Filth have been in some red hot form in their first 2 nab games though and it should be a cracking game.

Very true. I watched the game at the pub and we switched into a gear that we then rode up the ladder for the rest of the year. It was a revelation - even if it was only a NAB Cup match.

That was the night we first unleashed the men of mayhem and Collingwood didn't know what hit them. We were all over them like a rash all night and as soon as we got the ball we took off. It was great to watch.

G-Mo77
11-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Minson out with a hamstring injury.

whythelongface
11-03-2016, 10:02 AM
That was the night we first unleashed the men of mayhem and Collingwood didn't know what hit them. We were all over them like a rash all night and as soon as we got the ball we took off. It was great to watch.

It was a brilliant display and had us all thinking wow this could be the start of a new dawn at our club.

w3design
11-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Really looking forward to see how we go on Saturday. Want to see us locking down the Pies ball movement more effectively than we have thus far this preseason.

The Underdog
11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Minson out with a hamstring injury.

Uh-huh. I thought it was interesting that he'd been the guy left out but it reduces the intrigue a little if he's injured. Although I'm very keen to know how the ruck men are viewed by the MC at this point.
The way the key defender's line up and who gets left out of the squad will be telling.

LostDoggy
11-03-2016, 01:31 PM
I think a lot of our guys have been a few gears short of full exertion so far this NAB competition. Would be super exciting to see a fully fledged men of mayhem approach to NAB3.

Eastdog
11-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Should be another good hitout once again. Looking forward to seeing our full strength team out there putting in the effort as we had a lot of stars missing last week - Still of course don't want to go mega hard as we want to save our best for the real stuff.

Eastdog
11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

It would be a huge confident booster that's for sure.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Uh-huh. I thought it was interesting that he'd been the guy left out but it reduces the intrigue a little if he's injured. Although I'm very keen to know how the ruck men are viewed by the MC at this point.
The way the key defender's line up and who gets left out of the squad will be telling.

I think it's going to be a revolving door this year in terms of the ruck position. We've showed we're willing to tank ruck contests so even guys like Redpath and Boyd will do their fair share of duties there. At a guess Tom Campbell will line up in Round 1. Wil is getting to those dreaded 30's and Freo don't have Sandi so no point risking further damage by rushing him back.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 11:16 AM
We would all love a win today but what other aspects of the game would you be hoping for?

I'd like to see a Tom Boyd 3 or 4 goal effort and a good game from Joel Hamling
Of course a big effort from Liberatore and the much maligned Roughead wouldn't go astray either

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 11:18 AM
No injuries GVG. That's all I hope for out of these games

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 11:26 AM
A men of mayhem style ferocious attack on the ball, continued development from our young key backs and the 2 big Toms to make a real impact.

Twodogs
12-03-2016, 11:46 AM
I'd like the roof closed with the way the sky is looking.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Seriously mate. Nothing more out of the game than a closed roof? Surely you jest

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 11:51 AM
A men of mayhem style ferocious attack on the ball, continued development from our young key backs and the 2 big Toms to make a real impact.

Love it. It was this time almost 12 months ago where I was struggling to describe they type of football I had seen. Manic was the word I used. A return of MOM style today even for a couple of quarters would get the blood pumping

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I would certainly like to see Roughy earn his spot.

Also like to see Adams lock down his round 1 position.

Twodogs
12-03-2016, 11:56 AM
Seriously mate. Nothing more out of the game than a closed roof? Surely you jest

I'd like to see who our key defenders are going to be sorted out before round one. Are we going to go with two, one or no debutants is the key question for mine. I think two debutants on form.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 11:57 AM
We would all love a win today but what other aspects of the game would you be hoping for?

I'd like to see a Tom Boyd 3 or 4 goal effort and a good game from Joel Hamling
Of course a big effort from Liberatore and the much maligned Roughead wouldn't go astray either

I would like to see Big Jack and Tommy Boyd successfully playing well together in the forward line. This is the one priority for me today.

Greystache
12-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I'd like to see the forward line look cohesive and capable of kicking big scores even without two of our best goal kickers playing. That would particularly mean Boyd and Redpath combining well and even Tom Campbell clunking a few and hitting the scoreboard.

Also hoping to see Bonti running on top of the ground and looking cherry ripe.

And finally at least one key defender stamp themselves as a must for round 1.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Really want to see us defensively sound all over the ground, as it's the main area we need to improve upon this season. We know we can score, can we defend?

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 12:08 PM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1193212044029750

Match preview

F'scary
12-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Love it. It was this time almost 12 months ago where I was struggling to describe they type of football I had seen. Manic was the word I used. A return of MOM style today even for a couple of quarters would get the blood pumping

Sure would but as you say, just for couple of quarters. Men of Mayhem (full ground press defensively, play on at all costs with high numbers breaking forward of the ball offensively) was a great style (kudos Bevo) to kick start our season in 2015. Did we ever shake a few trees with that game! We found however that it was too taxing (culminating in the 1st StK game) to sustain for the full year. Bevo then modified the style and introduced more mobile players into the line up. The EF loss indicated that further evolution is required. In particular, getting the balance right between fast attacking and guarding the rear against the dreaded turn over in our forward half. I am hoping to learn a bit more today about that evolution.

azabob
12-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I hope to see Toby McLean play today and cement his spot for round one. One of our biggest strengths last year was our mid size forwards, with Crameri not playing and the unknown surrounding Dickson we definitely need another mid size forward to step up and kick a couple of goals each week.

jeemak
12-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Really want to see us defensively sound all over the ground, as it's the main area we need to improve upon this season. We know we can score, can we defend?

Likewise.

I get that Docklands is easier to defend at, but seeing us defend the ground so poorly at the Gabba and then at the G at the end of last year disappointed me, and I'd like see improvement starting this week.

divvydan
12-03-2016, 12:58 PM
COLLINGWOOD
Out: Levi Greenwood, Alan Toovey, Adam Oxley

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Out: Nathan Hrovat, Fletcher Roberts, Jordan Roughead

bornadog
12-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I would like to see Collingwood crushed, no injuries and Libba get through the match.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Aren't you in for a shock

comrade
12-03-2016, 01:18 PM
So stupid, just make it a closed stadium 100% of the time!

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Hrovat is a bit stiff, although I thought he was a bit underwhelming with his decision making and skill execution after half time last week. He's been more involved than McLean though, who has been quiet. Understanding they may play slightly different roles.

Both Roberts and Roughy are a real concern. They've looked well below average and at this point in careers they should be established players.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Hrovat is a bit stiff, although I thought he was a bit underwhelming with his decision making and skill execution after half time last week. He's been more involved than McLean though, who has been quiet. Understanding they may play slightly different roles.

Both Roberts and Roughy are a real concern. They've looked well below average and at this point in careers they should be established players.

Is it them being down or the draftees being better? I haven't seen any games this year, this will be my first but from all reports Collins and Adams are playing way above expectations. Although Collins was said to be a Rd1 starter shortly after he was drafted.

chef
12-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Score updates for us poor suckers at work please.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 01:54 PM

No worries chef will keep you posted.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Chef, Dogs up by 12 (3 goals to 1) around 15 minute mark q1. Boyd 2 big grabs for 1.1.

Eastdog
I liked Hunter, JJ, T Boyd, Jong, Stringer in this game so far.

AndrewP6
Boyd Jr a couple of superb grabs! What a sight to behold. Good start, Wallis goals to make it 26-8.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 02:27 PM
WB 4.2.26 to Coll 1.2.8

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Been so impressed with our pinpoint kicking.

AndrewP6
12-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Ahhh preseason excitement, what a great feeling. Suckling with a ripping kick for a 9pointer.

Greystache
12-03-2016, 02:43 PM
T Boyd was on the bench for the second 15 mins of that quarter. Obviously limiting his game time today. Looks impressive so far.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 02:43 PM
If anyone doubted Suckling's leg cannon, doubt no more.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Tommy Campbell? How do we think he has gone so far.

DragzLS1
12-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Campbell is going ok.. Would be great to have a ruck like Will Minsons 2014 form :( otherwise we are looking very dangerous, the way we set up defensively in the attacking half is going to make it hard for anybody to get through.. And JJ's hairstyle! fantastic :D

bornadog
12-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Dogs 54 v Pies 21

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Great play Stringer to Macrae then Campbell to finish to punish.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 02:52 PM
. And JJ's hairstyle! fantastic :D

Wallis wannabe :D

bornadog
12-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Libba playing well as is Hunter. Bonti needs to get into the game. Tom Boyd impressive so far.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Dogs 62 Pies 22.

Tom Boyd two goals and a ripper mark in the first quarter.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Libba playing well as is Hunter. Bonti needs to get into the game. Tom Boyd impressive so far.

Bonti credited with equal highest 1st qtr possessions for WB (10 disposals). Source: 3AW

ledge
12-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Morris made a horrid mistake.. Time catching up on him ?

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Campbell out with ankle. Should have had Roughead in as back up.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Bonti credited with equal highest 1st qtr possessions for WB (10 disposals). Source: 3AW

3 touches in 2nd then

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Halftime WB 70 v Col 34

ledge
12-03-2016, 03:17 PM
We look good .. A few cobwebs but both sides making very silly mistakes at times. 36 points at halftime is very impressive I rate Collingwood depth.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Jong with only 4 disposals not doing is round one chances much good.

hujsh
12-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Could someone teach Adams how to handpass?

LostDoggy
Whilst we have been pretty good Collingwood have been horrible.

Would have preferred more urgency and pressure from them leading into round 1.

LostDoggy
Is Campbell injury serious?

soupman
12-03-2016, 03:23 PM

We are right behind the bench and considering how long they were testing it to see if he could come back on it can't be too bad. Ankle now iced up though.

Greystache
12-03-2016, 03:23 PM

No. Just off for precautions.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Pressure and positioning have been excellent. I saw him a lot and surprised he's only had 4.

Disappointing for Campbell. Hope it's not to serious.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Very impressive and exciting first half from both an attacking and defensive perspective. We look very slick and it's clear we have some unbelievable talent on every line, particularly midfield and forward.

The ONLY concern that I have is still our personnel in defence. Adams has done well a few times in contests but made a couple howlers via disposal, Morris has made a couple of poor errors and we simply lack that genuine gun FB/CHB. However, structurally as a defensive unit right across the ground we look MUCH improved. We're forcing Collingwood to play predictable, slow, cautious footy - it's great to watch and a HUGE step forward on the back of 2015. Will be more interesting to see how this holds up if they start playing better and indeed against sides like Hawthorn, Fremantle etc.

Individually I have been super impressed with Tom Boyd. He has been great below his knees a number of times, handling the ball cleanly and distributing with fast reactions. He took a seriously super grab too - some truly great signs here. Liked his ruck work too. Stronger, more mobile, fitter.

Libba is getting better and looking more comfortable, some really good signs with his link up play and we know how good he is around the ball.

Koby looks strong, JJ is a fantastic player, Wallis and Dahl are keeping on, ditto Macrae, Hunter, Murphy, Wood and a number of others.

Campbell injured isn't great. Looks like Roughy will play R1 ruck. Not sure who our tall defenders will be yet - Adams shows good competitive signs but at times gets lost/disposes of the ball poorly, but there's a bit to work with.

chef
Halftime WB 70 v Col 34

Thanks BAD. Keep em coming

GVGjr
Been so impressed with our pinpoint kicking.
Are you at the game Easty? I dont think we have been that great with our skills

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 03:26 PM
You know a player's greatness when he gets 10 first quarter touches but needs to get into the game.

Caleb Daniel impressing again, as is JJ. Wallis looks set for another good season.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 03:26 PM

He's been disappointing. Bit fumbly and clumsy at times.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Whilst we have been pretty good Collingwood have been horrible.

Would have preferred more urgency and pressure from them leading into round 1.

You could say that. I see them as rabbit in the spotlight. We get it in that forward 50 and when they try to bring it out they're shell shocked. Easy to drop the head and just say it's a practice match. If that was their attitude you'd see a few less senior players like us last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
Are you at the game Easty? I dont think we have been that great with our skills

For this time of year, I think our skills have been solid. Better than most other games I've watched and a mile ahead of Colingwood.

Greystache
JJ and Bonti were outstanding that half with 18 and 15+ goal respectively.

Daniel's ball use is immaculate. Surprised he's only had 8 touches.

Dahlhaus and Hunter have both been busy.

It's like a carbon copy of nab 3 last year. We look well prepared and are the much better team.

Happy Days
12-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Two direct quotes from Gerard Healy today about the Boss:

- "gee you'd just like to see him lead a bit harder at the footy", directly after beating Nathan Brown on the lead and kicking a goal.

- "he's going to have to be a Buddy Franklin type player to justify that contract"

This is beyond criticism, the hate for Tom has gotten to a pathological level.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 03:30 PM
JJ and Bonti were outstanding that half with 18 and 15+ goal respectively.

Daniel's ball use is immaculate. Surprised he's only had 8 touches.

Dahlhaus and Hunter have both been busy.

It's like a carbon copy of nab 3 last year. We look well prepared and are the much better team.

We really are assembling a bloody good football team in every sense of the word. No Crameri and Dickson either, two key players. It's gonna be a damn fun ride these next few years.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 03:30 PM
For this time of year, I think our skills have been solid. Better than most other games I've watched and a mile ahead of Colingwood.
Solid but not great

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Still competing but our pressure has diminished somewhat.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 03:50 PM
WB 72 Col 62

We have dropped off. Don't like having to use Boyd in the ruck.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Lift Dogs!

Greystache
12-03-2016, 03:54 PM
WB 72 Col 62

We have dropped off. Don't like having to use Boyd in the ruck.

He's rucked all day even when Campbell was playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 03:54 PM
This is disgusting football and exactly what I didn't want to see. Us coughing up 6+ goals in a blink of an eye.

ledge
12-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm happy saw what we can do in first half now don't get injuries and don't let freo see all that we can do.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:01 PM
We are too short down back.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:01 PM
WB 84 v Col 81

Handballing today has been woeful

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Work rate has been absolutely awful by the mids and half forwards this quarter.

Murphy another abysmal turnover. Very frustrating to watch this.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Murphy and Morris have cost us multiple goals with poor skills

Eastdog
Murph just now doing some un-murph like things.

Dry Rot
Who is playing on Moore?

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Collins has all 0s on the stats sheet, has he been on the ground?

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Shocking quarter 3/4 time Collingwood 4 points up.

The Bulldogs Bite
Who is playing on Moore?

Wood and Morris have shared duties and been nowhere near him.

bornadog

No not yet

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Haven't seen him

bornadog

The wrong players on him. Both conceding 10cm

Bulldog4life
We need either Hamling, Roberts or Collins in the backline

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Our skill level unraveled and I cant believe Murphy has grubbed so many easy kicks. If that was Brett Goodes there would be a lynching party organised. Tom Boyd is doing it tough but performing well. Daniel is an absolute thief, he has pick pocketed the ball a number of times

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Bevo talked about keeping back one player as a pseudo sub. Picking a key defender is a very odd choice, particularly when the opposition have a few tall forwards.

soupman
Like last year when he impressed against him it seems to me Biggs often ends up matched up on him. Whether thats deliberate on our behalf or not I'm unsure

AndrewP6
Woeful quarter. Need to finish this better.

soupman
12-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Bevo talked about keeping back one player as a pseudo sub. Picking a key defender is a very odd choice, particularly when the opposition have a few tall forwards.

McLean would have been the man for that i imagine. Came on when Campbelk cane off.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Like last year when he impressed against him it seems to me Biggs often ends up matched up on him. Whether thats deliberate on our behalf or not I'm unsure

Yep, complete wrong choice for him too.

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Our skill level unraveled and I cant believe Murphy has grubbed so many easy kicks. If that was Brett Goodes there would be a lynching party organised. Tom Boyd is doing it tough but performing well. Daniel is an absolute thief, he has pick pocketed the ball a number of times

I'm only listening to the game, but it has been very apparent that a lot of scores start with Daniel. When Pies were rampant, he was the player that got us back. He's a best 22 must.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Our decision making and skill execution has been so poor after half time, it's hard to believe.

Daniel is about the only one who has been able to maintain standards.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Nice goal from McLean

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:21 PM
WB 96 v Col 88

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Stringer hardly sited today

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Stringer hardly sited today

Has been sited but not been very effective today. Wallis has been quite effective when he has been in attack.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:25 PM
How bad can our decision making and errors by foot get?

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Macrae , bloody hell if he wants to be elite, he needs to learn to kick and handball

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:27 PM
How bad can our decision making and errors by foot get?

We've got a bit of our own medicine in the 2nd half and have been a bit lost when looking for options.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Oh Boydy. :(

Lucky I have the sound down.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Up the other end and Darcy kicks the goal. Pies by 4 points

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 04:31 PM

That high ball drop doesn't help as previously discussed

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Redpath a long long way off AFL at this stage

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Redpath has played himself out of the R1 side today.

ledge
12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Boyd is ahead of Redpath now.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Redpath has played himself out of the R1 side today.

Bit rough. Midfield gave them the ball on a platter in that 3rd quarter. Game is getting away now but I'd blame a lot more before throwing Redpath under a bus.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Seems to be another game where we get a hold of their throat for the first two quarters and then fall away.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Bit rough. Midfield gave them the ball on a platter in that 3rd quarter. Game is getting away now but I'd blame a lot more before throwing Redpath under a bus.

Even with our dominance he made a few errors and didn't get involved anywhere near enough.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:39 PM
3 points to Collingwood 1 minute to go

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Take the shot at goal. My god?

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Collingwood win by 2 points.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Take the shot at goal. My god?

Why he didn't is astounding?

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Why didn't Hunter take the shot???

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Don't like putting blame on Lachie but geez you've got to have some idea on how long is left. His decision to centre was ludicrous.

westdog54
12-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Didn't he get barrelled for this last week?

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Last practice match. No injuries. Tommy Campbell should be ok round one. A good hit out.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Didn't he get barrelled for this last week?

Don't think so, I don't recall anything in the media or on this forum about it.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Last practice match. No injuries. Tommy Campbell should be ok round one. A good hit out.l

That's all that matters in the end. Tommy I'm concerned about, big man with a sore ankle. Could take a while.

ledge
12-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Yep just a practice match I tend to think we relaxed after half time no injuries.
Good hit out

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Shocking midfield display in the second half. Couldn't win the ball and left the backs no chance

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Not bothered by the loss, but it's concerning that we cannot stop surges of 6+ goal runs. The work rate dropped off completely, with the mids and half forwards still in the sheds after half time. Our decision making was as bad as I've ever seen it too - even from senior players like Murphy, Morris, Boyd and Wood. I hope it's a one off.

Still unsure what side we'll take into R1. Hamling, Roberts, Roughy, Hrovat must all be still chances to play. Dickson seems unlikely?

Disappointing that Collins didn't get any minutes ... what was the point of that?

whythelongface
Disappointing result overall especially surrendering such a big lead (40 points at one stage). That is obviously a big concern.

Liked T Boyd's game - rucking for most of the game and kicking 3 goals when moving forward (could of had more)
Caleb Daniel is a little gem. Great game.
JJ started really well. A few poor disposals that led to turnovers let him down a bit
Biggs was good as well. Good run and disposal
Mclean was good when he came on.

Also thought Campbell went well before his injury. Should be our no. 1 ruck

LostDoggy
Was there a discernible tactical difference after half time. Maybe some experimentation?

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Shocking midfield display in the second half. Couldn't win the ball and left the backs no chance

Yeah disappointing to see that. Our back half looked shaky but our midfield looked like matadors in that 3rd quarter.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Was there a discernible tactical difference after half time. Maybe some experimentation?

Quite possibly. Most good clubs have a few different gameplans and NAB challenge is a good time to try them.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I thought our midfield struggled today. Libba faded as you would expect and only had it 14 times, Bonti's second half was poor, Macrae just not damaging enough, Jong only 10 disposals, Picken only 16 disposals.

whythelongface
Yep just a practice match I tend to think we relaxed after half time no injuries.
Good hit out

Hopefully that is the case and we shouldn't be concerned, but to lead by 40 and get run down isn't great. But will look at it purely as a hit out for the players.

G-Mo77
Disappointing that Collins didn't get any minutes ... what was the point of that?

Wondering myself. Bevo did talk about a "quarantine" of that last spot on the bench. Might have been experimenting there.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Didn't look as though we were going as flat out to me. Were prepared to retain a small backline not giving Collins a run. Definitely need another big guy back there.

Happy Days
12-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I'd assume that there was a significant change in our centre square set ups in the second half; a lot of guys getting a run that I don't think we'll see a stack of in the season proper. Not too concerned.

Adams will probably play round one off of that; killed Cloke, who looked absolutely awful as an aside. McLean is good but the biggest stager I've ever seen play for the club.

If Campbell is no good do we run with Boyd as the first ruck against the Dockers? I'm not a big wrap for it, but thought he handled Witts pretty easily to be honest.

Murphy'sLore
12-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Quite possibly. Most good clubs have a few different gameplans and NAB challenge is a good time to try them.

Might be just me, but I think the first half tactics worked slightly better.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Adams will probably play round one off of that; killed Cloke, who looked absolutely awful as an aside. McLean is good but the biggest stager I've ever seen play for the club.

Big call.

He'll get a reputation playing like that. I don't like it personally, hate it from opposition players and don't like seeing our own play like it's soccer.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
We have a lot to work on but despite the loss there were a few positives. We were essentially let down by our more experienced guys today who didn't step up when they had the chance to. I would also add that Macrae has gotten back to those dinky, tricky kicks that got him sent back to Footscray last season. Falling short on 35mtr kick with no pressure isn't acceptable.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Might be just me, but I think the first half tactics worked slightly better.

Touché, ML. Touché. :)

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Didn't look as though we were going as flat out to me. Were prepared to retain a small backline not giving Collins a run. Definitely need another big guy back there.

Given Collins played first 2 NABs (one of very few), maybe his onfield absence today indicates that he is in for R1 and being rested. Our plan must've been to go with one less to replicate season proper as much as possible. You would think one more tall defender will be required with Collins or Hamling most likely?

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Best thing today was probably the form of some players not 100% locks prior to the game, particularly Tom Boyd and Caleb Daniel. Adams and McLean also did enough to strengthen their claims I'd reckon - given our defensive set ups, sounds like Adams did a tough job pretty well, although his disposal still needs work.

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 05:08 PM
We have a lot to work on but despite the loss there were a few positives. We were essentially let down by our more experienced guys today who didn't step up when they had the chance to. I would also add that Macrae has gotten back to those dinky, tricky kicks that got him sent back to Footscray last season. Falling short on 35mtr kick with no pressure isn't acceptable.

It doesn't seem to be sinking in? Someone mentioned before he doesn't seem to be damaging enough and it summed up his game today.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
It doesn't seem to be sinking in? Someone mentioned before he doesn't seem to be damaging enough and it summed up his game today.

He's trying to be too clever rather than super efficient. He has all the ability but in tradesmen speak he is cutting corners rather than doing what he supposed to.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 05:31 PM
A lot of WOOF members have logged on but not many comments at the moment. Is everyone too shocked or disappointed?

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Just got home from work.Reading everyone's comments first half was good with TBoyd presenting.

2nd half sounded like we took the foot off the pedal and put on the cruise control.

Good hitout and maybe Bevo keping a few things up his sleeve and not wanting to blow the Filth away as the lid would have been well and truly blown off before we even get to round 1.

Glass half full.:o

1eyedog
12-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Why didn't Hunter take the shot???

Wasn't he chastised at training for not doing this last week FFS?!

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Wasn't he chastised at training for not doing this last week FFS?!

Don't know. I don't recall hearing about it.

Remi Moses
12-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Didn't see all of it, my two girls were more interested in getting some donuts .
Midfield just didn't get their hands on it in the third, and a little self preservation mode after half time .
We need to address teams run on, and I'm hoping we don't mould into a port type side playing in fits and starts .
Very pleased with a few of the younger types Caleb Daniel, and Marcus adams played well .

AndrewP6
12-03-2016, 06:10 PM
A lot of WOOF members have logged on but not many comments at the moment. Is everyone too shocked or disappointed?

Disappointed for mine. Lots to work on before the real stuff starts.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 06:11 PM
It was close. Collingwood are rated a reasonable prospect for the 8 this year, so its not like we went down to, say, Carton or the Bumblers.

But it was a reality check, nevertheless.

Probably good medicine.

merantau
12-03-2016, 06:17 PM
It was a practice game and we lost after playing very well in the first half. Obviously there were things that went well and things that went badly. The game will be analysed; lessons will be learnt. If they aren't the wrong doers will find themselves running around in the VFL. Not having seen the game but knowing how it panned out (thanks woofers) the obvious factor to address is the ease with which the opposition scored in the 3rd. I am not going to lose any sleep over this result. Tom Boyd kicked three goals and did a fair amount of work in the ruck; that's a good sign.

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Only saw bits of it (with the time difernces, the match started at 10 in the morning over here in Perth - just not right).

Really liked what I saw of young Caleb, hope he plays round one. And managed my only pre-season fist pump when big Boyd floated across the front of that pack in Q1.

Hoping the coaching panel tried a plan B in the third quarter which is now relegated to plan z. Did bring some back some uncomfortable memories from last year when teams got a run in against us (the saints game for one).

Anyway, no injuries (barring big Tim C). So happy with that.

Hotdog60
12-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I got a feeling that the rotations may have played a small part. As we started having to chase jumpers our skill level dropped off when we got the ball. Murphy is capable of the odd howler but three in a row is unusual.
No sub is a good thing but how does the extra load on the older guys take effect?
Could the AFL in the great wisdom started to shorten careers rather then prolong them.
There may have been many factors involved in the turn around that we are not privy to so we'll have to wait to see what happens in round one to get a good gauge.
One thing for sure, we didn't create the momentum as we did last year.

always right
12-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Third quarter just couldn't get it out ôf the middle. Not concerned...really excited with Boyd, Caleb, Hunter and JJ.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Just some notes

New Boys
- Adams competed well, lacks some athleticism and probably cost us a goal because he failed to attack the ball on the goal line against his opponent. He struggles with hand balling on one side of his body and he got caught a couple of times because he was reluctant to pass the ball. The reasons why a player that was on the ground as much as he was could only manage 2 kicks needs to be explored
- Suckling was pretty good and got that super goal when Collingwood failed to mark him loitering around the 50mtr arc.
He doesn't tackle much and he's not adept in breaking tackles himself. Should be an asset though.

Older Boys
- Murphy struggled today especially in the 2nd half when the tide turned against us a couple of grubbed kicks and poor decisions were costly. He did get enough of the ball but it wasn't a captains game from him when it needed to be.
- Matthew Boyd, like Murphy he got a lot of it but his skill level and decision making hurt us at times.
- Morris was solid but not great and provided little drive. When he missed an easy target it was costly.

Better Boys
- Tom Boyd should receive a confidence boost from his performance today and hopefully the media will cut him some slack. He competed well as a ruckman, took some nice marks and if he had just kicked a bit straighter he could have been a match winner.
- Johannisen had a very good day and provided a lot of run. A couple of errors but I thought it was an exciting game from him
- Hunter started off well and racked up a lot of possessions throughout the game. I thought he was a bit of a spark plug for us today.
- Caleb Daniel might have played his way into the round one calculations today. I mentioned earlier that he pick pocketed the ball from the opposition a few times and on top of that his decision making was pretty good. His kicks tend to float a bit but it's going to be very hard not to select him in round one.

Bad Boys
- It's not often someone who racks up so many possessions as Macrae did today and still cops a mention as one of the 'bad boys' but throughout the game I was both delighted as disappointed in Macrae's performance. He needs to improve and this habit of kicking the ball across his body and those dinky little kicks needs to be addressed with him.
- I might get howled down from this observation but Easton Wood was a a disappointment today. He clearly didn't watch his opponent in the last quarter and zoned back when he thought his opponent had marked the ball. He wasn't even looking at the umpire who clearly called it as play on. Wood lacked impact today.

On a brighter side I got to meet Susan Alberti today and she is both a lovely and engaging lady. We even got to chat a bit about WOOF ;)

By the way, whats peoples thoughts on Bonti today?

comrade
12-03-2016, 06:39 PM

Why anyone would be too shocked or disappointed at this result is a mystery to me. Tom Boyd was dominant, Libba got through again, and others showed plenty.

A big win would have been nice but there were plenty of positives.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 06:43 PM
One observation about the game was that I don't think players from either side would be in line for the number 15 jumper for the Wallabies. The amount of fumbles and dropped marks by defenders with the high ball even without a lot of pressure was amateurish and perhaps should have had a Benny Hill type music being played.

I also found it a hard game to watch because the umpires had too much of an influence on the game. Too many 50/50 free kicks were paid (both ways) when I thought waiting a bit longer to blow the whistle was in order.

One question, how did you think the coach went today? He probably didn't have a lot of options when Campbell went down but I thought he could have moved the chess pieces around a bit more when things were unraveling. I think coaches can be either very stubborn or overly faithful to the game plan. I'm not sure yet which bucket Bevo might be in :).

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Why anyone would be too shocked or disappointed at this result is a mystery to me. Tom Boyd was dominant, Libba got through again, and others showed plenty.

A big win would have been nice but there were plenty of positives.

Tend to agree but 30 people logged on and not many comments were being made. Seemed curious to me.

Hotdog60
12-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Who are the wallabies? Do they play in country Victoria and number 15 do they play on the wing or something. ;):o:D

G-Mo77
12-03-2016, 06:51 PM
I also found it a hard game to watch because the umpires had too much of an influence on the game. Too many 50/50 free kicks were paid (both ways) when I thought waiting a bit longer to blow the whistle was in order.

They were hot on the whistle but they were consistent with their calls. I didn't mind the umpiring today, I think they did a pretty good job.

bulldogtragic
12-03-2016, 06:52 PM
I can see exactly why Bevo chased Suckling. Leaving aside salary, it's great when the wheel turns and we get quality players come to us for free.

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2016, 06:53 PM
I went to the game and felt we really dominated the first half, but seemed to come out after the break with none of the first half intensity.

Not concerned with the result, but super impressed with Tom Boyd and JJ.

Feel that we will be ready when they bounce the ball in round 1.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 06:53 PM
They were hot on the whistle but they were consistent with their calls. I didn't mind the umpiring today, I think they did a pretty good job.

No question in my mind they were consistent but they were still brutal with early calls.

bornadog
12-03-2016, 06:57 PM
If Campbell is no good do we run with Boyd as the first ruck against the Dockers? I'm not a big wrap for it, but thought he handled Witts pretty easily to be honest.

Witts had 29 HO to Boyd's 9, but I think Boyd was more damaging around the ground

bornadog
12-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Beveridge expects ruckman to overcome ankle injury (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-12/beveridge-expects-campbell-to-overcome-ankle-injury)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge expects ruckman Tom Campbell to be fit for the Dogs' round one clash with Fremantle in a fortnight despite suffering an ankle injury in the club's final NAB Challenge game.
Campbell limped from the field after rolling his right ankle in the second quarter and didn't take any further part in the two-point loss to Collingwood at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

The development leaves the Dogs' ruck department up in the air leading into their season-opener against the Dockers at Etihad Stadium on Sunday March 27.
The Bulldogs face a big-man conundrum, given Jordan Roughead was been sent back to the VFL on Saturday to gain valuable match fitness, while Beveridge also revealed veteran ruckman Will Minson, who strained a hamstring on Thursday, was unlikely to be available for round one.

"We've come out of it really healthy, besides Tom, (but) I think his ankle will be OK," Beveridge said post-match.
The Dogs coach said Roughead was still very much in the selection frame, and praised the efforts of much-hyped key forward Tom Boyd in his support ruck role, describing him as "a very, very good ruckman" and a good, developing forward who would eventually become dominant.

"(Roughead) needs a good hitout, a full game, so he'll get through today and come into calculations if Tom (Campbell) doesn't come up. Or even if Tom does (come up), there's still competition there," Beveridge said.
"We're really pleased with Tommy Boyd and what he did today – his ruckwork and his forward play – and Jack Redpath pinch-hit like he did last year.
"But how we go in (to) round one is still definitely up in the air.

The Bulldogs side that took on the Pies was "pretty close" to the one that would represent the club in round one, Beveridge said. Small forward Tory Dickson would return, while "a handful" of players were pressing their claims in the VFL.
"There might be one or two or three spots (up for grabs), I'm not sure, but the great thing for us is … we'll go into the season with around about 40 players available, as long as we get through the VFL game," Beveridge said.

The Bulldogs mentor was understandably pleased with his team's superb first half, and satisfied with their last quarter, but was disappointed with their performance in the third quarter, when he saw a 40-point lead become an eight-point deficit.
He said the Pies turned the game by winning more centre clearances and upping their pressure, and lamented some of his more skilled players turning the ball over by foot.

ratsmac
12-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Disappointed with the loss. Good teams don't give up 40 point leads that easily. At one point the pies were kicking a goal every 30 seconds. I am hoping that it was a coaching directive to slow up a bit and try not get injured. But for some reason I doubt it.

However there were some really positive signs from a few.

Tom Boyd looks in good nick. I love seeing him jumping for the ball. He actually has a great leap. Last year he looked like he couldn't jump over a jam tin.

Loved JJ's game. He ran hard all day making himself an option. He is Bob's protégé and the players like giving it to him. Signs are good.

Caleb Daniel is a ripper. He just knows where to be. The ball finds him! His skills in close are great.

Adams is getting better with every game. He has a great pair of hands. He looks like he belongs out there. Yeah he is making some skill errors but he wasn't alone. Even Bobby made a couple of howlers. I would like to see him have a run up forward. He has better hands than Redpath that's for sure.

Overall our mids look like they will continue on from last year which is good. They will be the leagues best midfield in a couple years I think. Another speedster would be nice.

Our Ruck is no clearer than it was before the NAB challenge. Injuries to Minson and now Campbell can be a concern. Goetz better start warming up, we might need him. I thought Boyd was good in the ruck today but I hate seeing him there. Witts actually looked pretty average to me.

The forward line was ok today I suppose. The ball delivery into the f50 after half time was ordinary. We seemed to stuff up very gettable chances. Redpath was disappointing and Stringer was quiet.

The backline was good for half a game and pretty ordinary for the other half. Our runners are looking good but we get caught on the rebound too too often. I think we were 1 tall defender short today and Collingwood started to exploit us there in the end.

Disappointed with the result but chuffed with seeing how easily we can take the game away from teams when we are on. We just need to learn how to protect the lead.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 07:06 PM
If Tory is a certainty round one there's another couple of goals for us straight away.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm wandering around the streets in China, bit hard to see the game, but watched a few highlights. Magnificent mark from Tom Boyd. Try to watch it later.

always right
12-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Adams competes well but has little poise and panics a when under pressure. Needs to get back off the mark quicker so he has more options. If fit I'd be more comfortable to see Hamling come in for him for round one.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Adams competes well but has little poise and oanics a when under pressure. Needs to get back iffy the mark quicker.

He'll be alright. Still a kid so will take time. How did you rate Biggs game? Toby McLean was involved a bit towards the latter part of the game. What are we expecting from Toby this year.

Remi Moses
12-03-2016, 07:49 PM
The Bont looked short of a gallop today, he just looks like a guy who struggled with the pace .
Some players do cruise in these games though

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 08:05 PM
I know it's a preseason game but surely giving up a 40 point lead is just a bit of a sign for concern?
Is it a sign of a non flexible game plan, fitness levels or a lack of composure that contributes to that type defeat?

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 08:05 PM
The Bont looked short of a gallop today, he just looks like a guy who struggled with the pace .
Some players do cruise in these games though

He got caught a few times and just didn't seem to be on his game.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 08:06 PM
I know it's a preseason game but surely giving up a 40 point lead is just a bit of a sign for concern?
Is it a sign of a non flexible game plan, fitness levels or a lack of composure that contributes to that type defeat?

Not sure if it's fitness levels possibly.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Hunter's game. Thought he was heavily involved today and quite good. Jong was pretty good early but didn't see him as much as the match progressed.

chef
12-03-2016, 08:23 PM

Watching the game on TV we just didn't come out to play in the 3rd quarter and once the Pies got the momentum we couldn't do much to stop it. It's slightly concerning, but the Pies look a decent oufit and will be in the group with us pushing for a top 4 spot.

Hopefully it's just a mental thing and we relaxed as it was just a praccy match.

always right
12-03-2016, 08:29 PM
I came away from the ground very positive.

Our first half was really clean and we were just so organized compared to Collingwood, Campbell was a big loss in the second quarter and despite Boyd and Redpath being competitive, the Collingwood onslaught was mainly due to their dominance out of the middle and some uncharacteristic mistakes from blokes who are normally better.....Murph the major culprit.

In fact the two biggest disappointments for me were Murph who was unusually sloppy with his disposal, and Stinger whose hands were really poor today. No-one thinks they won't recapture their form so no-one should be concerned.

Two thirds into the third quarter we steadied the ship and the most pleasing thing was it was two of our young blokes that sparked the fightback...Caleb Daniel and Lachie Hunter. Great signs for our club.

The biggest positives for me were Tom Boyd, who jumped agressively and looked dangerous in the air. That huge mark in the first quarter really got me out of my seat. He also covered the ground much better than I've seen him. For the first time I can really see that we have a player here.

JJ was fantastic all game and will be all Australian this season. He's a gun and had he kicked straight would have had two to three goals today. Daniel is now a lock for round one.....just so impressed with him today in a pretty intense game. He makes things happen.

Bring on Freo.

jeemak
12-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Well my major objective for the game - being hard to score against - was not executed, unfortunately. The third quarter was a typical case of a side getting a run on and mids not being on the right side of opponents just to go a touch defensive when needed, and running ahead of the ball when skill errors were occurring. It's modern footy and sides don't react to opposition run ons like they used to with negative tactics after two or three straight goals against.

Stringer and Hunter will provide me with no end of frustration this year, the former for refusing to play the game simply when it requires it, and the latter for trying to be too clever instead of responsible. It was a shame for Hunter, as he played quite well and his refusal to have a shot on goal left a sour taste in my mouth.

Ratsmac has covered a lot of what I wanted to say. There was plenty of good to come out of the first, second and fourth quarters, plus we were clearly struggling after Campbell went down and looked flatter thereafter.

Eastdog
12-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Great that Libba has come through the 2 nab games quite well and was a good contributor today. He is just easing his way back and hopefully will be soon back to his best. Hopefully Tommy Campbell will be right for Round 1.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2016, 09:28 PM
It's good to keep in mind that we played 22 players Collingwood played 24.

always right
12-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Just curious jeemak....why would you concentrate on the single negative in Hunter's game and not the fact that he was of the key players who worked hard to finally stem the Collingwood charge? I was really impressed with him.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Is the data on the time on ground for each of the players and the number of interchanges we used available?

jeemak
12-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Just curious jeemak....why would you concentrate on the single negative in Hunter's game and not the fact that he was of the key players who worked hard to finally stem the Collingwood charge? I was really impressed with him.

I said that he played quite well, though I singled him and Stringer out because I thought they could have directly impacted the result in the last quarter more positively.

Hunter could have accepted responsibility for the shot and Stringer didn't need to blaze away as he did running into the open goal. I thought both decisions were costly to us.

Sorry if the post didn't seem balanced to you.

Hotdog60
12-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Is the data on the time on ground for each of the players and the number of interchanges we used available?

Everyone that payed with the exception of Mclean and Campbell was 75% or over TOG.

Remi Moses
12-03-2016, 10:13 PM

I think you're slightly overreacting to be honest .
Give up that lead in a game of meaning, and we'd be worried .

jeemak
12-03-2016, 10:18 PM
First half 30-40 point deficits aren't as hard to claw back in this day and age between evenly matched teams as they used to be.

Collingwood are probably more advanced in their physical preparation than we are as well, with a coach under pressure they need a quick start to the season and their NAB Cup form is reflective of that.

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Collingwod also used their full bench today, whereas we didn't even use the full 90 interchanges. All in all, plenty of experimenting. Still cause for concern, but scoreboard should be taken with a grain of salt today.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 10:34 PM
First half 30-40 point deficits aren't as hard to claw back in this day and age between evenly matched teams as they used to be.

Collingwood are probably more advanced in their physical preparation than we are as well, with a coach under pressure they need a quick start to the season and their NAB Cup form is reflective of that.

Surely we should be able to change tempo as the game dictates? I'd expect us to be capable of doing it in fact we should be training that was as well.

Re Collingwood, they always start the season well but 12 months back we gave them a tune up.

GVGjr
12-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Collingwod also used their full bench today, whereas we didn't even use the full 90 interchanges. All in all, plenty of experimenting. Still cause for concern, but scoreboard should be taken with a grain of salt today.

2 of their players were on the ground just over 20% of playing time. I'm not sure that was even a small advantage for them

F'scary
12-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Reflecting on the game after a few hours, I think we mentally put the cue in the rack at half-time. Collingwood, on the other hand, were faced with a diabolical result similar to the NAB game last season. I think Buckley ripped into the players as if a finals spot was on the line. Very tellingly, according to 3AW, he went heavily over the pro rata quota of interchanges in the 3rd quarter, desperate to avoid a demoralising smashing with his best team on the park in the final rehearsal to the season.

We, on the other hand, used 2 less players and kept within the rotations cap.

A pity we didn't get over the line. The headlines would have panned Bucks and his "whatever it takes" ploy to win a practice match where the participating teams should have been rehearsing the new rotations rules for the real thing. You won't be able to pull that stunt in the home-and-away season, Bucks.

F'scary
12-03-2016, 11:16 PM
But who knows...maybe Eddie can get the rules changed so that Collingwood can bring on an extra man if they look like being beaten?

divvydan
12-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Everyone that payed with the exception of Mclean and Campbell was 75% or over TOG.

AFL site has Collins at 0% TOG. Did he not get on at any stage or is that incorrect?

LostDoggy
12-03-2016, 11:20 PM
AFL site has Collins at 0% TOG. Did he not get on at any stage or is that incorrect?
Apparently we wanted to replicate full match as much as possible so didn't want to play 24. Interesting call to use Collins as the non-player given he could've played time with Footscray.

bornadog
13-03-2016, 12:21 AM

Stats show Collingwood 90 interchanges and we had 88

bornadog
13-03-2016, 12:22 AM
Correct he didn't come on at all

GVGjr
13-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Stats show Collingwood 90 interchanges and we had 88

That's a minimal difference

comrade
13-03-2016, 06:19 AM
That's a minimal difference

Can't recall if it was Bevo's presser or not, but it was mentioned that Collingwood had 27 rotations in the third quarter alone which if true makes that reported 90 very unlikely.

ratsmac
13-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Can't recall if it was Bevo's presser or not, but it was mentioned that Collingwood had 27 rotations in the third quarter alone which if true makes that reported 90 very unlikely.

Not really 90÷4=22.5. So if they just did 2 less rotations in the other 3 quarters they could do an extra 6 in that 3rd. It might be a tactic they are exploring, dunno, but if it is it worked well against us. I think we are trying to find an excuse for that shocking 3rd quarter but I think we simply switched off and got our arse handed to us as a result.

I hate losing to Collingwood even if it is just a practice match.

Hotdog60
13-03-2016, 09:31 AM

I didn't mention Collins because he was 0 and didn't participate on ground.:)

1eyedog
13-03-2016, 10:29 AM
The concern comes after a bad round 1 loss to Freo.

F'scary
13-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Is all this about Coll only using 90 rotations correct? I was under the impression that they abandoned practicing the bench rules and went for broke to win a practice match using all the extended bench and rotations well above the cap.

I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong and apologise without reservation or qualification to Bucks and Eddie.

GVGjr
13-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Is all this about Coll only using 90 rotations correct? I was under the impression that they abandoned practicing the bench rules and went for broke to win a practice match using all the extended bench and rotations well above the cap.

The AFL stats indicate that the IC rotations were almost identical but Bevo appears to be saying the Collingwood used more players and made more IC changes which might in someways explain the turnaround.

I'd like to see the numbers Bevo thinks are relevant to his explanation.

LostDoggy
13-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Collingwood using 27 in the 3rd is interesting. I wonder if we will see teams play very defensively early with minimal interchanges in an attempt to have a ballistic surge at some point in a game.

GVGjr
13-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Collingwood using 27 in the 3rd is interesting. I wonder if we will see teams play very defensively early with minimal interchanges in an attempt to have a ballistic surge at some point in a game.

Of course clubs would monitor the number of opposition rotations and should be able to predict this type of surge. It's hard to make a lot of rotations in a low scoring game so a few minutes of keepings off might really wreck that sort of plan. If I thought a team was looking to do a lot of them in a particular quarter I'd also consider instructing our players to keep the ball on the other side of the ground to the IC bench once again making it significantly harder for the midfielders to come off.

Just one thing that annoyed me from yesterday, normally you can see which players are on the bench but has the AFL now abandoned displaying the numbers of the players on the bench?

Bulldog Joe
13-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Of course clubs would monitor the number of opposition rotations and should be able to predict this type of surge. It's hard to make a lot of rotations in a low scoring game so a few minutes of keepings off might really wreck that sort of plan. If I thought a team was looking to do a lot of them in a particular quarter I'd also consider instructing our players to keep the ball on the other side of the ground to the IC bench once again making it significantly harder for the midfielders to come off.

Just one thing that annoyed me from yesterday, normally you can see which players are on the bench but has the AFL now abandoned displaying the numbers of the players on the bench?

I am putting that down to this just being practice match scenario. Certainly expect they should be showing the bench numbers in the real stuff.

jeemak
13-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Surely we should be able to change tempo as the game dictates? I'd expect us to be capable of doing it in fact we should be training that was as well.

Re Collingwood, they always start the season well but 12 months back we gave them a tune up.

I've touched on it in another post, modern footy isn't about one team being reactive with negative tactics to a quick 2-3 goals as they used to be. It's a result of game strategy very rarely involving man on man set up.

Every time you hear players talk about strategy, it's all about "playing the way we want to play" and having "faith in team mates", which is great if everyone's on the ball, but if they aren't and a team kicks a couple of quick goals getting everyone to work together in a structure to counter the quick scoring can be difficult.

F'scary
13-03-2016, 12:25 PM
The AFL stats indicate that the IC rotations were almost identical but Bevo appears to be saying the Collingwood used more players and made more IC changes which might in someways explain the turnaround.

Well, we all know the theory: AFL spin stats whenever Collingwood is involved

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-03-2016, 12:31 PM
The highlight inspite of our loss was to witness Tom Boyd play his best game since joining the Club. The move to start him in the ruck at the opening bounce proved a winner. He was also our only avenue to goal with Stringer putting in a poor one.
Wallis and Hunter who both played very well helped with some handy goals. The MC erred badly in the selection of our defence. We went in with only one tall defender in the inexperienced Adams against the Pies 3 big forwards. Ultimately this probably cost us the game. Morris now needs to play on mid size and small forwards. Brave as he is Morris has lost his spring to compete against taller opponents. Libba and Yong didn't play as well as the previous week . I thought Caleb Daniel was tremendous and a big factor in keeping us in the game. Tom Campbell proved to be a big loss and it is to be hoped that he will be right for our first match. To surrender a 40 point lead was frustrating and disappointing. Some of our more accomplished players just didn't perform on the day. The forward line did look a bit thin without both Dickson and Crameri and we do need Dickson to come back quickly.

always right
13-03-2016, 12:56 PM
The good news is...
Murphy will never kick that poorly again.
Stringer's ball handling will never be that poor again
We will learn a lot from the third quarter, particularly how we set up in the middle

bornadog
13-03-2016, 01:00 PM
The highlight inspite of our loss was to witness Tom Boyd play his best game since joining the Club. The move to start him in the ruck at the opening bounce proved a winner. He was also our only avenue to goal with Stringer putting in a poor one.
Wallis and Hunter who both played very well helped with some handy goals. The MC erred badly in the selection of our defence. We went in with only one tall defender in the inexperienced Adams against the Pies 3 big forwards. Ultimately this probably cost us the game. Morris now needs to play on mid size and small forwards. Brave as he is Morris has lost his spring to compete against taller opponents. Libba and Yong didn't play as well as the previous week . I thought Caleb Daniel was tremendous and a big factor in keeping us in the game. Tom Campbell proved to be a big loss and it is to be hoped that he will be right for our first match. To surrender a 40 point lead was frustrating and disappointing. Some of our more accomplished players just didn't perform on the day. The forward line did look a bit thin without both Dickson and Crameri and we do need Dickson to come back quickly.

Well summed up.

Massive error to think Morris is a KPP. I notice in the thread for Round 1 team, many have Morris at FB, well I am telling you now he is no FB. At best he should be back pocket. If we are relying on Morris to take care of these big forwards, well we are in trouble.

Twodogs
13-03-2016, 01:24 PM
I've touched on it in another post, modern footy isn't about one team being reactive with negative tactics to a quick 2-3 goals as they used to be. It's a result of game strategy very rarely involving man on man set up.

Every time you hear players talk about strategy, it's all about "playing the way we want to play" and having "faith in team mates", which is great if everyone's on the ball, but if they aren't and a team kicks a couple of quick goals getting everyone to work together in a structure to counter the quick scoring can be difficult.

I still reckon we only had 17 players on the ground at times.;)

Twodogs
13-03-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm concerned that we gave up a 40 point loss but I would be more concerned if we had pulled out all the stops to protect a lead in a practice match and wasted energy ahead of round one.

SonofScray
13-03-2016, 01:46 PM
I saw a few efforts at ground level that didn't meet my expectations in terms of effort and physicality, one that stood out was up i]on the HHF in front of me featuring 'Haus, Suckers and Redpath. We lost possession with a fumble and just gave up on it when they got the extra body in to get hands on the ball. It was clear to me then that the boys were not keen on spending too many petrol tickets in this game, because there is no way that blokes of that calibre could be happy with themselves afterwards otherwise.

Certainly not spewing over it, it was just a surprise to me.

Overall it was a good hit out, I didn't like how far the wheels fell off structurally when Campbell went down though.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2016, 02:57 PM

We still have to keep in mind that we are a very young team. We are going to have our ups and downs until we get more games into the pups and they become mature and seasoned players.We must be patient. The wait will be worth it.

GVGjr
13-03-2016, 03:18 PM
We still have to keep in mind that we are a very young team. We are going to have our ups and downs until we get more games into the pups and they become mature and seasoned players.We must be patient. The wait will be worth it.

I'm not sure that the youth angle is an accurate explanation. I'm challenging if we do practice a change of tempo game style because if we aren't then we will win big at times and will on occasions give up big leads. Murphy and M.Boyd had chances to slow things down in the third and didn't do it and then promptly coughed up the ball handing the tempo back to Collingwood.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2016, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure that the youth angle is an accurate explanation. I'm challenging if we do practice a change of tempo game style because if we aren't then we will win big at times and will on occasions give up big leads. Murphy and M.Boyd had chances to slow things down in the third and didn't do it and then promptly coughed up the ball handing the tempo back to Collingwood.

To me it looked as though the tempo we played the third quarter was slower than how we played the first half. Just my observation.

ratsmac
13-03-2016, 04:06 PM
To me it looked as though the tempo we played the third quarter was slower than how we played the first half. Just my observation.

It would be interesting to know if it were us dropping the intensity or Collingwood lifting the intensity that which caused the momentum shift. And it would be only the players and coaches that could answer that.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2016, 04:43 PM
It would be interesting to know if it were us dropping the intensity or Collingwood lifting the intensity that which caused the momentum shift. And it would be only the players and coaches that could answer that.

The turnovers from senior players must have been pretty morale sapping.

bornadog
13-03-2016, 05:51 PM

In the third quarter we lost the clearances and CP, our mids were not going in hard enough and weren't getting the ball. It started in the middle with Whitts winning the HO and Collingwood winning the clearances. In fact in the 3rd quarter, they smashed us in the CPs.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2016, 06:27 PM
I haven't seen the game, but it was disappointing that we gave up such a large lead and couldn't quite get over the line.

It seems our preparation has come along very well though. We're fortunate enough to have a largely healthy squad heading into the first round and have seen Liberatore and Stevens make successful returns from their injuries.

I'm feeling quite confident ahead of the Fremantle clash.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Roughie and Roberts were in the best players for Footscray yesterday but Dickson and Hamling are a worry

always right
13-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Well summed up.

Massive error to think Morris is a KPP. I notice in the thread for Round 1 team, many have Morris at FB, well I am telling you now he is no FB. At best he should be back pocket. If we are relying on Morris to take care of these big forwards, well we are in trouble.

Many have Morris at FB because we see him playing on Pavlich. Mayne is also not key position size and Freo don't have a tall forward line.

LostDoggy
13-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Many have Morris at FB because we see him playing on Pavlich. Mayne is also not key position size and Freo don't have a tall forward line.

They are likely to play Griffin and Z.Clarke though and send one of them forward quite often. Reckon we definitely need 1 defender that can provide a contest to a 200cm forward.

always right
13-03-2016, 06:55 PM
They are likely to play Griffin and Z.Clarke though and send one of them forward quite often. Reckon we definitely need 1 defender that can provide a contest to a 200cm forward.

Agree which is why most have one of Hamling or Roberts in the team?

Before I Die
13-03-2016, 08:41 PM

The rules in NAB 3 only allow for 90 rotations in a game. I am not sure how strictly this was policed, but it is unlikely Collingwood ignored this clearly stated rule. Bevo is saying we only used 4 on the bench (Collins didn't get a run and Mclean only came into the game when Campbell was injured), whereas Collingwood used 6, which was allowed for this match. I haven't seen the match stats so don't know how much game time players 23 and 24 got for Collingwood. If they spread the load fairly evenly, then you would expect this to make a difference over the full game, however, I am not too sure what impact it would have during the first 15 minutes after the long break.

I don't know what caused our third quarter fadeout, but I am very happy it came during a preseason game and not during the season proper. The NAB games are the only time you get to try things out under true match conditions. It's nice if everything you try works well, but if you don't get some things wrong, you don't learn anything new.

Templeton31
14-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Roughie and Roberts were in the best players for Footscray yesterday but Dickson and Hamling are a worry

Post match press conference Bevo as good as said Hamling would be in for R1. Or that was the way I took what he said. not sure why Hamling didn't play on the weekend - same problem as Dickson I guess!!!! ;):D:confused: