PDA

View Full Version : Footy Folklore Fred

Twodogs
19-03-2016, 08:35 PM
OK so it isn't Fred it's thread but I like alliteration.

From an original suggestion from merantau;

Forget about the autographs - if you had Klompie's colour TV you'd be talking big bucks. A rolled gold piece of footy folklore. Never to be forgotten. Same goes for Doug Booth and the dog. Alan Killigrew and Geoff Rosenow. Gary Sidebottom and the bus. Footy folklore - deserves a thread.

Last I heard of Mark Klomp's TV he said it was in his daughter's room. I guess a collector would be interested.

So merantau could you fill us in on Doug Booth and the dog and Killer and Geoff Rosenow?

merantau
19-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Doug Booth played for St. Kilda. It was in the days of black and white TV - so late 60s early 70s. I think it was a game at Moorabin. A dog got on the ground and interrupted play and for a while evaded capture. Doug Booth kicked it as it ran past him. There were calls for him to be publicly executed for this cowardly act. Alan Killigrew had a punch up with Rosenow, who was a cop, in the players race at half time down at Kardinia Park.
Des Tuddenham apparently made Essendon players crawl laps at Windy Hill. "Play like babies and you'll train like babies."
Brian "The Whale" Roberts was going bad in a state game. A trainer slipped him some Smarties at half-time and told him it was speed. He played the house down in the second half.
Carlton got a wilful and obscene exposure charge against Jon Dorotich heard in the Prahran Magistrate's Court at midnight on a Friday night.

Twodogs
19-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Doug Booth played for St. Kilda. It was in the days of black and white TV - so late 60s early 70s. I think it was a game at Moorabin. A dog got on the ground and interrupted play and for a while evaded capture. Doug Booth kicked it as it ran past him. There were calls for him to be publicly executed for this cowardly act. Alan Killigrew had a punch up with Rosenow, who was a cop, in the players race at half time down at Kardinia Park.
Des Tuddenham apparently made Essendon players crawl laps at Windy Hill. "Play like babies and you'll train like babies."
Brian "The Whale" Roberts was going bad in a state game. A trainer slipped him some Smarties at half-time and told him it was speed. He played the house down in the second half.
Carlton got a wilful and obscene exposure charge against Jon Dorotich heard in the Prahran Magistrate's Court at midnight on a Friday night.

Snowy on the tram told me that Carlton may have intervened in another court proceeding that they had another player appearing before. I remember talk of a case bought against Jim Buckley for a driving offence.

The word was his fairly serious charge was mitigated down to a very light sentence that may well have been a bit out of kilter with the offence (and the damage left behind) committed and allegedly his fitness to be behind the wheel at the time. I'm 99% sure it was Buckley but if it's not him I apologise if it wasn't him. It was certainly one of the multi premiership winning small brigade that they had back then

Throughandthrough
19-03-2016, 10:30 PM
OK so it isn't Fred it's thread but I like alliteration.

From an original suggestion from merantau;

Last I heard of Mark Klomp's TV he said it was in his daughter's room. I guess a collector would be interested.

So merantau could you fill us in on Doug Booth and the dog and Killer and Geoff Rosenow?

*Robbert Klomp

https://www.facebook.com/robbert.klomp.5?fref=ts

merantau
19-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Snowy on the tram told me that Carlton may have intervened in another court proceeding that they had another player appearing before. I remember talk of a case bought against Jim Buckley for a driving offence.

The word was his fairly serious charge was mitigated down to a very light sentence that may well have been a bit out of kilter with the offence (and the damage left behind) committed and allegedly his fitness to be behind the wheel at the time. I'm 99% sure it was Buckley but if it's not him I apologise if it wasn't him. It was certainly one of the multi premiership winning small brigade that they had back then
re the above: Around the same time as Jimmy Buckley was in the frame, Jimmy Krakeour was up on one involving an under age girl. The story went around that Carlton wanted to poach him from North so they could have a centre line made up of The Terminator, The Dominator and the Penetrator.
And the first prize in Carlton's fundraiser that year? an all expenses paid road trip to the Gold Coast with Jimmy Buckley as your driver.

bornadog
20-03-2016, 12:13 AM
What about Plugger and the pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhnunJSmsSM

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 02:42 AM
re the above: Around the same time as Jimmy Buckley was in the frame, Jimmy Krakeour was up on one involving an under age girl. The story went around that Carlton wanted to poach him from North so they could have a centre line made up of The Terminator, The Dominator and the Penetrator.
And the first prize in Carlton's fundraiser that year? an all expenses paid road trip to the Gold Coast with Jimmy Buckley as your driver.

i remember the speculation well. It was printed on the front page of the Truth wasn't it?

merantau
20-03-2016, 08:48 AM
i remember the speculation well. It was printed on the front page of the Truth wasn't it?
Could well have been. Has all the elements of a Truth-worthy front page. Who can forget its response to the passing of Sir Billy Sneddon? "Sir Billy dies in harness" Or was that an urban myth?

merantau
20-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Sir Billy dies on the job.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/time-capsule/story-e6frg8h6-1111113868826

merantau
20-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Further to Sir Billy's demise:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2006/09/achievements.html

ledge
20-03-2016, 01:41 PM
So I wonder if she could be charged with murder ??
The son wanting his inheritance tees up with a gf to finish him off :-)

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 01:46 PM
So I wonder if she could be charged with murder ??
The son wanting his inheritance tees up with a gf to finish him off :-)

Not unless she intended and had planned to use what she had to kill him.

Manslaughter maybe!:cool:

Good for him anyway. I hope I am as lucky at 70.

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Further to Sir Billy's demise:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2006/09/achievements.html

Thanks for that. That article drips with snide remarks and urban legend. It says a lot about Sneddon the man too. Drew is a better man than me.

merantau
20-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that. That article drips with snide remarks and urban legend. It says a lot about Sneddon the man too. Drew is a better man than me.

Sir Billy was a Melbourne supporter. Not sure if that explains his behaviour or not but the Demons have for a long time now, been unable to go the full distance unlike Sir Billy who was prepared to put in even if it killed him.

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Sir Billy was a Melbourne supporter. Not sure if that explains his behaviour or not but the Demons have for a long time now, been unable to go the full distance unlike Sir Billy who was prepared to put in even if it killed him.

IIRC he was president of Melbourne for a few years. He might have been the prez that lured Barrassi back from memory.

I have a little folktale all of my own about liberal party leaders. It would have been 1977 or 1978 and the Prime Minster RH Malcolm Fraser made an appearence at western oval to watch Carlton take on the locals. He's sat in the Gent stand looking very statesmen like watching the game. So to halftime as he is coming down the stairs I front him with my Footscray cheer squad one cent a vote favourite Footscray player form. "Hello mr Fraser. I'm from the cheer squad and I thought you might like to vote for your favorite Footscray player" He looked down his nose at me in that supercilious manner he had as two blokes loomed behind him and reached inside the left hand flap of their jackets. Fraser motioned to them, they looked at one another and stepped just past us. Fraser asked how much it was as he took his wallet out and got a twenty out. I said it was a cent a vote and he looked a bit troubled and said "This is the smallest I've got, have you got any change"? "Sorry mr Fraser but you're the first person I've asked" fully aware by now of the two men with guns at my elbow gave I him my most adorable smile. His eye drifted over to where the cheer squad I and could see him calculating the distance from it's position behind the goals to the Gent stand in his head. "Am I"? He said but he knew when he was being hustled. "Oh well, you'd better have this then" and handed me the twenty. I stood staring at the twenty in my hand and he walked off. He was a few steps away when I yelled out "oh mr Fraser excuse me!" He turned around said "Yes?" "Which player do you want to vote for"? He said that he was happy to vote for whoever my favorite player was and hurried off before I could say anything else.

Twodogs
20-03-2016, 05:35 PM

IIRC he was president of Melbourne for a few years. He might have been the prez that lured Barrassi back from memory.

I have a little folktale all of my own about liberal party leaders. It would have been 1977 or 1978 and the Prime Minster RH Malcolm Fraser made an appearence at western oval to watch Carlton take on the locals. He's sat in the Gent stand looking very statesmen like watching the game. So to halftime as he is coming down the stairs I front him with my Footscray cheer squad one cent a vote favourite Footscray player form. "Hello mr Fraser. I'm from the cheer squad and I thought you might like to vote for your favorite Footscray player" He looked down his nose at me in that supercilious manner he had as two blokes loomed behind him and reached inside the left hand flap of their jackets. Fraser motioned to them, they looked at one another and they stepped just past us. Fraser asked how much it was as he took his wallet out and got a twenty out. I said it was a cent a vote and he looked a bit troubled and said "This is the smallest I've got, have you got any change"? "Sorry mr Fraser but you're the first person I've asked" His eye drifted over to where the cheer squad and I could see him calculating the distance from it's position behind the goals to the Gent stand in his head. "Am I"? He said but he knew when he was being hustled. "Oh well, you'd better have this then" and handed me the twenty. I stood staring at the twenty in my hand and he walked off. He was a few steps away when I yelled out "oh mr Fraser excuse me!" He turned around said "Yes?" "Which player do you want to vote for"? He said that he was happy to vote for whoever my favorite player was and hurried off before I could say anything else.

Bulldog4life
21-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Sir Billy dies on the job.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/time-capsule/story-e6frg8h6-1111113868826

I remember at the time a very strong rumor was that the mystery woman was Sonia McMahon hence the disappearing act.

westdog54
21-03-2016, 05:35 PM

I have a little folktale all of my own about liberal party leaders. It would have been 1977 or 1978 and the Prime Minster RH Malcolm Fraser made an appearence at western oval to watch Carlton take on the locals. He's sat in the Gent stand looking very statesmen like watching the game. So to halftime as he is coming down the stairs I front him with my Footscray cheer squad one cent a vote favourite Footscray player form. "Hello mr Fraser. I'm from the cheer squad and I thought you might like to vote for your favorite Footscray player" He looked down his nose at me in that supercilious manner he had as two blokes loomed behind him and reached inside the left hand flap of their jackets. Fraser motioned to them, they looked at one another and they stepped just past us. Fraser asked how much it was as he took his wallet out and got a twenty out. I said it was a cent a vote and he looked a bit troubled and said "This is the smallest I've got, have you got any change"? "Sorry mr Fraser but you're the first person I've asked" His eye drifted over to where the cheer squad and I could see him calculating the distance from it's position behind the goals to the Gent stand in his head. "Am I"? He said but he knew when he was being hustled. "Oh well, you'd better have this then" and handed me the twenty. I stood staring at the twenty in my hand and he walked off. He was a few steps away when I yelled out "oh mr Fraser excuse me!" He turned around said "Yes?" "Which player do you want to vote for"? He said that he was happy to vote for whoever my favorite player was and hurried off before I could say anything else.

That's one of the most awesome things I've ever read.

merantau
21-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Malcolm Fraser did his finest work in retirement. What a pity he didn't see the light when he had real power. Still a great Australian who redeemed his earlier shortcomings in spades. I truly regretted his passing.

Twodogs
21-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Malcolm Fraser did his finest work in retirement. What a pity he didn't see the light when he had real power. Still a great Australian who redeemed his earlier shortcomings in spades. I truly regretted his passing.

Talking to him it was weird. He had like an aura about him like a radiating energy. I have met nearly every PM since Gough. It was nothing for me to walk in from school and find John Halfpenny and Bob Hawke, or Joan Kirner at the dining room table arguing or intriguing with the old man. Anyway my point is the fact he was PM wasn't what impressed me overly but there was something about old Mal that made him stand out even from other PMs.

Twodogs
21-03-2016, 11:29 PM

Actually now that I think about it he wandered off while I was in mid sentence about who my favourite Footscray player was.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Actually now that I think about it he wandered off while I was in mid sentence about who my favourite Footscray player was.

Who was your favourite player?

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Who was your favourite player?

Kelvin Templeton.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Kelvin Templeton.

Yeah, same.

Kelvin will be 60 years old this year - hard to believe.

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Yeah, same.

Kelvin will be 60 years old this year - hard to believe.

When he was at that trainers function last year he didn't look like he was in his sixth decade of life. He didn't exactly look like he was in condition to don the Guernsey again but not almost 60.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 05:28 PM
When he was at that trainers function last year he didn't look like he was in his sixth decade of life. He didn't exactly look like he was in condition to don the Guernsey again but not almost 60.

60 is the new 40 ;)

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 06:31 PM
60 is the new 40 ;)

Heh. Makes me 12.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Prime Minster RH Malcolm Fraser .. He looked down his nose at me in that supercilious manner he had ...

I can vouch for that. I found him by himself at Tammy's open garden. He agreed to answer a private question after looking at me down his nose (it wasn't just his height, it was his manner) from my sandals to my eyes. I asked how he handles his personal energy given he was PM and was still active in humanitarian affairs etc. The great man said "Oh I don't worry about that. The energy comes from doing what you're interested in."
His look when he was looking me up and down suggested as I'd suspected that he was autistic.

Twodogs
23-03-2016, 02:44 PM
I can vouch for that. I found him by himself at Tammy's open garden. He agreed to answer a private question after looking at me down his nose (it wasn't just his height, it was his manner) from my sandals to my eyes. I asked how he handles his personal energy given he was PM and was still active in humanitarian affairs etc. The great man said "Oh I don't worry about that. The energy comes from doing what you're interested in."
His look when he was looking me up and down suggested as I'd suspected that he was autistic.

I work with people with autism and I know a lot of politicians. Most of the people who go into politics aren't a million miles from being autistic. Their social skills, obsessions and lack of eye contact give them away.

ledge
23-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Huge variances in autism but from what I know they are brilliant at things that interest them, so being autistic can be a massive advantage in that way but just don't take them out of routine.
My great nephew is autistic if he has his medicine he is pretty normal. Plays footy at deer park and from what I gather he can play really well but if he doesn't take his medicine he is away with the fairies just walking around taking everything in.
He is full on with the western bulldogs and numbers , talked about the movie "imitation game" and he knew the guy back to front , he is only 14.

Twodogs
23-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Huge variances in autism but from what I know they are brilliant at things that interest them, so being autistic can be a massive advantage in that way but just don't take them out of routine.
My great nephew is autistic if he has his medicine he is pretty normal. Plays footy at deer park and from what I gather he can play really well but if he doesn't take his medicine he is away with the fairies just walking around taking everything in.
He is full on with the western bulldogs and numbers , talked about the movie "imitation game" and he knew the guy back to front , he is only 14.

That's only true in a fairly small amount of cases. It's a sort of movie thing.

ledge
23-03-2016, 07:43 PM
That's only true in a fairly small amount of cases. It's a sort of movie thing.

Every kid I know with autism is extremely good at something, eg one you can ask him how to get anywhere on trains at any time and he will tell you what train, what time , where to change etc etc. My brother is a train driver and he just adores him.
So to me it isn't a fallacy, but the variances are pretty huge in autism.
And the ones I know if you change their daily routine they are very hard to convince its okay . Hissy fits are extreme.

Twodogs
23-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Every kid I know with autism is extremely good at something, eg one you can ask him how to get anywhere on trains at any time and he will tell you what train, what time , where to change etc etc. My brother is a train driver and he just adores him.
So to me it isn't a fallacy, but the variances are pretty huge in autism.
And the ones I know if you change their daily routine they are very hard to convince its okay . Hissy fits are extreme.

Yep, you're quite right about routine. Routine rules with autism.

I remember getting lost in the Dandenongs on an excursion with a bus load of autistic kids years ago. We ended up on a dirt track in the middle of nowhere and just as we realise we don't have a melways a little kid pipes up from the back of the bus "I know how to get home from here" He knew the directions all the way back home to St. Albans. From memory, all the names of the streets and all.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2016, 01:28 AM
Amazing.

bornadog
01-02-2022, 04:40 PM
refer here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?21427-Vale-Fred-Cook&p=774086#post774086)