PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 2 2016 vs St. Kilda

Eastdog
23-03-2016, 05:26 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 2 match against North St. Kilda at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
27-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Bump.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Dickson in would be good. But if there's no injuries, I'm not sure you can make a change to a team who did this today.

comrade
27-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Hamling out his hand up yesterday, but who goes out?

Not keen on Morris & Adams vs Riewoldt & Bruce.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Bevo at his presser said there's 3 six day turn arounds in the next 2 months, 'which present team management issues'.

I presume he's talking about Bob, Matty & Dale and possibly Libba (his knee reco management plan).

bornadog
27-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Bevo at his presser said there's 3 six day turn arounds in the next 2 months, 'which present team management issues'.

I presume he's talking about Bob, Matty & Dale and possibly Libba (his knee reco management plan).

Good think is we have the depth.

Can we fit in Dickson, Campbell , Hamling next week?

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Good think is we have the depth.

Can we fit in Dickson, Campbell , Hamling next week?

I'd hate to deflate the players, with a win like that and without injuries I'd stay put. Unless, it's a week off for an older guy as part of a season long strategy.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2016, 06:20 PM
I'd be tempted to go in with no change, but let's wait and see how everyone pulls up.

Wouldn't mind getting another tall in the line up, whilst Dickson must be considered if fit. No idea who I'd move out after today though...

soupman
27-03-2016, 06:26 PM
I would imaine Dickson comes straight back in, and seeing as the Saints talls are much brttter than Freos I expect Hamling to get a run.

Dunkley was good but i think will miss, no idea who ekse misses though.

lemmon
27-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Dickson has to come straight back in for mine and it's probably at the expense of Dunkley. I wouldn't be changing anything else. Whoever is out will be damn unlucky

F'scary
27-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Saints have played well to 3 qtr time at Port. Not to be taken lightly.

GVGjr
27-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Saints have played well to 3 qtr time at Port. Not to be taken lightly.

They look to have very fit midfielders and we know Roo normally runs our defenders around.

azabob
27-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Can Roughead go with Hickey? Hickey is looking strong and fit.

Early doors i think Hamling comes in for Dunkley.

boydogs
27-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Roughead holds his spot I reckon. We won the hitouts today for the first time in a while, and he was easily the best of the rucks around the ground

Dunkley probably misses for Dickson, maybe Suckling out for Hamling

jeemak
27-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I think we'll see Dickson in for either Dunkley or Daniel who would both be considered unlucky to miss.

G-Mo77
27-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Wood and Roughy both took some hard knocks on the shoulder. They finished and I expect them both to play but.........

comrade
27-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I doubt Dickson comes straight in without a run a Footscray.

If he does, Dunkley to go out.

I'd see how the old stagers recover from the game, but if for example M Boyd is a little sore, I'd like to see Hamling come in.

Need some extra height down back, and Hamling's ground level ability and rebounding wouldn't make us too cumbersome, which seems to be a major focus of Bevo's.

Bulldog4life
27-03-2016, 07:43 PM
I think we'll see Dickson in for either Dunkley or Daniel who would both be considered unlucky to miss.

I put Daniel in my votes I thought he played well. Hard to drop anyone.

The bulldog tragician
27-03-2016, 07:50 PM

I thought he played a great game too. There's something very creative about his style.

I can't imagine who they'd drop, a lot of great contributors and no weak links. Dunkley for Dickson I guess but not because he did anything wrong, and his wonderful tackle in last quarter was terrific.

Bulldog4life
27-03-2016, 07:52 PM
I thought he played a great game too. There's something very creative about his style.

I can't imagine who they'd drop, a lot of great contributors and no weak links. Dunkley for Dickson I guess but not because he did anything wrong, and his wonderful tackle in last quarter was terrific.

That would be that only one but looking at again maybe Dicko needs a run with Footscray first.

josie
27-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Hamling in if Wood or Boyd need a rest. Dickson to play in twos first so he ready for Hawks in round 3.

jeemak
27-03-2016, 09:16 PM

I liked his game as well, and love him as a player. But I struggle to find anyone else aside from him if Dunks is retained and everyone's fit such was the strength of our performance.

My view is Dickson is probably due a run at Footscray due to his rubbish preparation, but he's also good enough to come straight in.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Dunkley, Daniel, JJ & Biggs all had career high disposals today. Dunkley is the 'last in, first out' selection, but Daniel had a PB for disposals and marks. Touch call to drop him, and a hard message to sell to him.

BulldogBelle
27-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm pretty confident Dicko will come in through Footscray. No change I say. The only one I think might be considered is Jong for Dunkley as this game will be a battle of the midfields. I don't think that will happen though. This committee likes to give the young blokes at least a couple of games on the trot.

bornadog
27-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Wood was hit pretty hard today, the incident was just below where I was sitting on level two. He was holding his shoulder after he had his free kick. Let's hope he is ok for next week.

azabob
27-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Dunkley, Daniel, JJ & Biggs all had career high disposals today. Dunkley is the 'last in, first out' selection, but Daniel had a PB for disposals and marks. Touch call to drop him, and a hard message to sell to him.

So who you dropping?

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 09:45 PM
So who you dropping?

No one.

SlimPickens
27-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Wood was hit pretty hard today, the incident was just below where I was sitting on level two. He was holding his shoulder after he had his free kick. Let's hope he is ok for next week.

Looked like a stinger. If his AC was shot there is no way he could of continued the way he did.

SlimPickens
27-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Hamling in if Wood or Boyd need a rest. Dickson to play in twos first so he ready for Hawks in round 3.

Surely we won't rest blokes after one week ;)

Dry Rot
27-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Agree Hamling in, rotate him and Adams on the Blonde Diver.

suppose that means one of Dunkley, Maclean or M Boyd (rested) comes out.

Bev did refer to "player management" with 6 day breaks (resting the old guys?)

soupman
28-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Really unsure as to whether Dickson will come straight in off pretty much no pre-season game time or via Footscray. He is clearly good enough to come straight in, and even if he is less involved than usual he is the player that can really hurt sides with just a handful of possessions, but we might play it safe considering our frenetic pressure style and that we are still coming to grips with the interchange cap.

Doc26
28-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Caleb is best 22 now. His very effective ball use, composure when the tide starts to turn, and his means of continually bringing others into the game, such an unselfish contributor, he is too great a value to the team to even ponder the thought of not having him there. Against St.Kilda's with their own mosquito fleet, his workrate and effectiveness will be required.

I wouldn't be against Tory coming back through the VFL given the nature of his injury with fewer rotations available and that he's now missed a good chunk of match practice.

F'scary
28-03-2016, 12:43 AM
Agree Hamling in, rotate him and Adams on the Blonde Diver.

suppose that means one of Dunkley, Maclean or M Boyd (rested) comes out.

Bev did refer to "player management" with 6 day breaks (resting the old guys?)

StK has 2 good tall forwards, Diver Dan and Bruce. Good reason to bring a second tall defender in - probably Hamling.

strebla
28-03-2016, 02:10 AM
I think Boyd for Hamling would be my only change. Dickson to play for Footscray to get some touch.

1eyedog
28-03-2016, 02:18 AM
I think Boyd for Hamling would be my only change. Dickson to play for Footscray to get some touch.
No second ruck?

boydogs
28-03-2016, 02:37 AM
No second ruck?

Matt not Tom

Greystache
28-03-2016, 02:40 AM
Tough to make any changes but for match ups I'd go with;

In- Hamling, Dickson
Out- Dunkley, M Boyd

We need another another tall for Riewoldt and Bruce and Boyd hasn't set the world on fire, while Dickson is an extra goal kicker and Dunkley is stiff to miss out.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 04:14 AM
Tough to make any changes but for match ups I'd go with;

In- Hamling, Dickson
Out- Dunkley, M Boyd

We need another another tall for Riewoldt and Bruce and Boyd hasn't set the world on fire, while Dickson is an extra goal kicker and Dunkley is stiff to miss out.

They would be the changes I would make. There has to be a question mark around bringing Dickson straight in but if he is 100% fit then we should play him. Hamling for Matthew Boyd is really required against the Saints.

F'scary
28-03-2016, 10:30 AM
No second ruck?

No need to be sensitive about Big Boyd, 1i. He earned his spot no worries. Did well as second ruck (and for extended periods at that) and was a clear structural target at FF. Freo were flying 2 against him all match without beating him in the air, which suited our crumbers.

always right
28-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Can't see any changes. Dickson will come back through Footscray. Saints key forwards are better than Freo's but I reckon Bevo will back our all ground pressure to assist our defenders.

Smads57
28-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Looking at match ups alone, we will need Hamling to take one of Riewoldt/Bruce next week and help out against the small, quick forward players at St Kilda given he can play tall/small.

This would be a decision made on a 'what is best for the team' ethos which M Boyd would buy into.

I wouldn't expect Bevo to bring in Dickson - I am sure he brought injured players back thru the VFL last year as needed.

Tom Campbell also needs to be considered an option to come into the seniors, but not at the expense of Roughy (or Toyd). This would mean a tallish forward making room for him (as I suspect he will play ruck/fwd), so I think Dunkley would be the player to make way.

In - Campbell, Hamling
Out - M Boyd, Dunkley

bornadog
28-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Can't see any changes. Dickson will come back through Footscray. Saints key forwards are better than Freo's but I reckon Bevo will back our all ground pressure to assist our defenders.

I tend to agree. Morris will go to Diver and Adams to Bruce.

Unless there are injuries, I see no change.

soupman
28-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Btw I remember hearing Riewoldt will play more of a midfield role this year instead of a forward one. Was this the case yesterday? If so it makes selected Hamling much less of a necessity.

Dancin' Douggy
28-03-2016, 12:08 PM
No one deserves to be 'dropped' on yesterdays efforts, but I hope the match committee just sits down and picks the best team to beat the next opposition club. No ifs buts or maybes.,

Rocco Jones
28-03-2016, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't be messing with the best thing about us yesterday, defensive movement. No accident that us and the Hawks only have one defender over 190cm. Think they would mess with their structure? Great sides don't change their structure week to week to adapt to Josh Bruce and co.

Bringing in Hamling would mean one less rebound player who also helps with team defence. Adams/Morris vs Roo/Bruce. Wood and Biggs to help out like yesterday.

Happy Days
28-03-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm not changing a backline that conceded 5 goals. Especially not for Josh Bruce or an unfit Riewoldt. Notice how Freo's talls shredded us? Me neither. I'm way more intimidated by their small forwards anyway. Lonie looks a level above where he ended last year and we all know how dangerous Billings can be.

I'm only doing Dunkley for Dickson, provided Tory is fit.

LostDoggy
28-03-2016, 10:17 PM
No change.
Anybody have any news on Dad's form?
Is he injured?

comrade
28-03-2016, 10:38 PM
No change.
Anybody have any news on Dad's form?
Is he injured?

Played in the VFL practice match on Saturday and was rock solid, just shaded by Hamling as our best defender. Laid a couple of his trade mark crunching tackles.

Looking forward to watching him develop this year and I'm sure he'll get a run at the big time soon enough.

Mantis
29-03-2016, 10:43 AM
No change.

Like everyone I think we are one KPD short, but we have the whole season to work out if that's true.

Dickson has only played 15min this year so happy for him to have a run in the VFL before coming back in.

whythelongface
29-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Only In would be Dickson (provided he is fit). Finding the Out would be difficult - Dunkley would probably be the most likely (very unlucky).

LostDoggy
29-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Put me in the no change camp.

Adams to take N Roo when he goes deep and Wood to help out when he's up the ground. Morris can cover Bruce.

Saints only went in with 1 ruckmen in Hickey. Assuming Bruce was giving him a chop out? So they are also fairly small.

We will set up fairly similar to the Saints as their backline is small and mobile also.

The forward pressure will be much more intense this week also. Our running backs won't have it as easy!

bornadog
29-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Saints only went in with 1 ruckmen in Hickey. Assuming Bruce was giving him a chop out? So they are also fairly small.

I heard one of the SEN guys saying they couldn't believe how small the Saints were, going into the Port match.

Mofra
29-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Put me in the no change camp - Dickson & Campbell the only challengers to come back via the VFL, everyone has to earn their spot.

I imagine a Dunkley would get fairly sore after a couple of weeks so Dickson for Dunkley a week later, and we start rotating guys to manage the 6 day breaks.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Kind of want Hamling in this side for more coverage and flexibility, but making a change after R1's performance would be difficult.

Dickson should come back via VFL.

westbulldog
29-03-2016, 11:52 AM
no change. nobody deserves to be dropped.

Axe Man
29-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure Hamling is a must have inclusion for Bruce and Reiwoldt, but if the saints bring in McCartin as well (who kicked 7 in a VFL practice match on the weekend), would that change things?

Ozza
29-03-2016, 12:11 PM
I would be more comfortable with Hamling in the side this week.
Anybody missing out would be stiff - but I think we need the extra tall this week given the opposition.

Go_Dogs
29-03-2016, 12:20 PM
I would be more comfortable with Hamling in the side this week.
Anybody missing out would be stiff - but I think we need the extra tall this week given the opposition.

I'm leaning towards this too.

If we end up top heavy down back, we can always try Adams or Hamling forward, too.

Cyberdoggie
29-03-2016, 12:54 PM
I heard one of the SEN guys saying they couldn't believe how small the Saints were, going into the Port match.

McCartin kicked 5 goals and Membrey a few as well in the magoos 157 point thrashing of Box Hill. (Not sure how many hawks were in that BH side but that is a thrashing).

Our small defence will only be put under pressure if we are conceding a lot of forward entries, and in particular ones with little midfield pressure. In the second and third quarter against Freo we backed off a tad in that regards and Freo started to get some easier movement going forward, albeit very slowly. The Saints when on song can bother us a bit as they are hard at the contest, so if we back off at all then those tall forwards will start to bother our small defence.

Personally I like our rebounding HBF's, and think we should persist with 1 less tall defender as we could be changing the way the game is played. We will see within a 6 week period if we get found out or if it's not working.

Changes for this week:

Probably no change, I don't think Roughead starred but he was ok. Will be tough to bring in Campbell in his place.
Dickson may need a run first in the reserves, no point rushing him back in as he hasn't had a run for a while.
Pretty harsh to drop Dunks after one game, thought he was very good, didn't look out of place at all for a first gamer and provided a solid contest everytime he was near the ball.

craigsahibee
29-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Dickson has to have some game time at Footscray. No question.
I wouldn't make any changes at this stage if the 22 from Round 1 are healthy.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Toby Mc earned his position against St Kilda as did Caleb Daniel so if Dickson comes in Dunkley comes out unless we rest someone. However Dickson has an adductor injury which is best treated cautiously:
"Do not advance the athlete too quickly back to his/her sport, as the injury may become a chronic condition. Acute strains easily can become chronic strains if proper time is not allowed for healing. Chronic strains are much more difficult to manage."
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307308-treatment
So maybe no change unless resting someone. Well done Roughead in putting your hand up to solve our ruck problem.

Bulldog4life
29-03-2016, 05:01 PM
I heard Boydy say in his radio interview that yesterday Wood's neck was very stiff so much so that he had to turn his whole body to look either left or right. Might be the only change if he doesn't come up.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Hamling for Wood/any defender that is out.

Dickson for Dunkley if they think he is right to go, if not comes back via Footscray.

kruder
29-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Agree with what was said above there is no way Luke will change the defence after that performance even if there is taller match ups coming.

Jong and Hamling next in line if there are any forced changes.

jeemak
29-03-2016, 09:22 PM
I heard Boydy say in his radio interview that yesterday Wood's neck was very stiff so much so that he had to turn his whole body to look either left or right. Might be the only change if he doesn't come up.

I hate doing my neck to the point where I'm doing Ned Kelly impersonations.

Hopefully he comes up.

LostDoggy
29-03-2016, 11:12 PM
I hate doing my neck to the point where I'm doing Ned Kelly impersonations.

Hopefully he comes up.

Such is life.

Couldn't resist.

jeemak
29-03-2016, 11:41 PM
Such is life.

Couldn't resist.

Delightful.

jeemak
29-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Toby Mc earned his position against St Kilda as did Caleb Daniel so if Dickson comes in Dunkley comes out unless we rest someone. However Dickson has an adductor injury which is best treated cautiously:
"Do not advance the athlete too quickly back to his/her sport, as the injury may become a chronic condition. Acute strains easily can become chronic strains if proper time is not allowed for healing. Chronic strains are much more difficult to manage."
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307308-treatment
So maybe no change unless resting someone. Well done Roughead in putting your hand up to solve our ruck problem.

Now he's got a quad injury to worry about - which sucks. We won't have to worry about him until at least round four.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-29/round-two-medical-report

The Pie Man
31-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Hoping Wood will be fine, but I'd look to bring in Hamling anyway this week - McCartin kicked 7 in the VFL last week so will probably play. Different looking forward line to Freo's last week with potential Paddy, Bruce & Nick (who I think will play more forward than mid)

Dunkley / anyone else sore we don't know about would be my unlucky out.

If we smash them pressure wise like last Sunday then we should be fine. Happy to see Roughy play 2 in a row in the ruck without getting hurt (inc VFL practise match)

F'scary
31-03-2016, 07:12 PM
no change to our 22.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Bontempelli named CHF, Murphy FP.

azabob
31-03-2016, 07:38 PM
As expected Saints have bought in McCartin.

bulldogtragic
31-03-2016, 07:45 PM
No one.

I got one right, finally.

ledge
31-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Hamling /wood late change my guess.

Eastdog
31-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Dicko any chance as a late change?

GVGjr
31-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Dicko any chance for a late change?

He's out for a month Easty

bornadog
31-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Dicko any chance as a late change?
You need to read the injury thread

Eastdog
31-03-2016, 08:05 PM
He's out for a month Easty

Ok sorry GVG in that case definitely not. No surprise we are unchanged after last week's performance.

azabob
31-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Ok sorry GVG in that case definitely not. No surprise we are unchanged after last week's performance.

Easty, another tip to know if a player is a possible late change is they need to be listed as an emergency. Otherwise if they come in from outside the emergency listed players the club will be fined.

chef
31-03-2016, 08:19 PM

Still could be changes, its just no ones been dropped yet.

Adcock, Campbell and Hamling on an extended bench.

comrade
31-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Still could be changes, its just no ones been dropped yet.

Adcock, Campbell and Hamling on an extended bench.

As the game is on Saturday, they're emergencies. Would have to be a late change for them to be called up.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Hamling /wood late change my guess.

Gee, I hope Wood's ok to play. If so, I would swap Dunkley for Hamling as StK will have 3 tall forwards.

chef
31-03-2016, 08:22 PM
As the game is on Saturday, they're emergencies. Would have to be a late change for them to be called up.

Fair enough. Im just going off what they showed on Fox.

Remi Moses
31-03-2016, 09:08 PM
I think they'll be looking to run off McCartin, Riewoldt and Bruce . Midfield pressure has to be high again, so they don't get clean entry
No surprise there isn't a change

Ghost Dog
31-03-2016, 10:48 PM
no change to our 22.

Maybe a first under Bevo - no changes. Happy to hear it. Hope Wood is ok.

1eyedog
31-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Ha ha love it its pretty arrogant of Bevo and slaps McCartin and Bruce across the face with the iron gauntlet. If you're good enough you're a chance but you better mark it.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Still would like Hamling in for the sheer fact that we cannot expect to dominate games like we did v Freo every week.

On the flip side, if we do bring it to ground, Bruce and McCartin especially are going to need to find a third leg to run.

Mantis
01-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Still would like Hamling in for the sheer fact that we cannot expect to dominate games like we did v Freo every week.

On the flip side, if we do bring it to ground, Bruce and McCartin especially are going to need to find a third leg to run.

Bruce is a good runner and will be able to comfortably go with Adams.. We could expose McCartin if Biggs or Wood run off him, but we could be lacking in the air against him as suggested.

comrade
01-04-2016, 09:21 AM
It's not dissimilar to the North game last year.

Waite, Petrie & Brown vs Bruce, McCartin & Roo.

We were beaten in the air at times last year and got sucked in to defending the high ball with too many players, making it easy for Higgins to shark some easy ground balls but overall, our increased run was what won us the game.

I think we'll get the same result tomorrow night.

Mantis
01-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Had a look at our team from rd 6 last year.. Was amazed by the turn over of players (and who we had missing!)

IN - Liberatore, Wallis, Biggs, Suckling, Adams, Morris, MacLean, Daniel, M.Boyd, Dunkley

OUT - Dickson, Goodes, Crameri, Talia, Cordy, Hrovat, Webb, Roberts, Honeychurch, C.Smith

Also worth remembering that Stevens & Smith were injured during the game.

bornadog
01-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Had a look at our team from rd 6 last year.. Was amazed by the turn over of players (and who we had missing!)

IN - Liberatore, Wallis, Biggs, Suckling, Adams, Morris, MacLean, Daniel, M.Boyd, Dunkley

OUT - Dickson, Goodes, Crameri, Talia, Cordy, Hrovat, Webb, Roberts, Honeychurch, C.Smith

Big outs are Dickson and Crameri. Big ins are Libba, Wallis, Biggs, Morris, Suckling

Mantis
01-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Big outs are Dickson and Crameri. Big ins are Libba, Wallis, Biggs, Morris, Suckling

M.Boyd is a key in.

Daniel & McLean are an upgrade on the 2 H's too.

westdog54
01-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Of the 'outs', only Dickson and Crameri would be considered Best 22 when put up against what we are fielding ATM.

Axe Man
01-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Poor Caleb will never be considered a "Big" in though... :D

Eastdog
01-04-2016, 11:48 AM

It will hurt to miss any of those players. What are your thoughts on Hrovat? He is another who can be important to our side.

bornadog
01-04-2016, 11:54 AM
M.Boyd is a key in.

Daniel & McLean are an upgrade on the 2 H's too.

agreed

F'scary
01-04-2016, 01:18 PM
It will hurt to miss any of those players. What are your thoughts on Hrovat? He is another who can be important to our side.

I agree on Hrovat. He could well have his moment in the sun at some stage this year, who knows?

Eastdog
01-04-2016, 03:12 PM
I agree on Hrovat. He could well have his moment in the sun at some stage this year, who knows?

Will be keen to hear how he goes in the Footscray VFL practice match this weekend.