PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Sydney

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 05:53 PM
I reckon we as bulldog supporters are going to grow to love Josh Dunkley and the way he plays. He's like a cat he just doesn't take a back step.

bornadog
27-03-2016, 05:55 PM
We can also Thank Sydney for Biggs and taking Talia off out hands.

Josh is going to be a footballer, no doubt about that.

F'scary
27-03-2016, 05:55 PM
He looked like a top player today, that's for sure, 2D. Thank you Shitney.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I suppose gaining Biggs (& Hamilton) & Dunkley and pick 56 this year is a fair trade for losing Cooney, Tahleeya and pick 25.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 05:59 PM
It was lovely of Jake Stringer to gift him that little tap for his first goal too. A nice package...

bornadog
27-03-2016, 06:00 PM
It was lovely of Jake Stringer to gift him that little tap for his first goal too. A nice package...

Pun intended :D

Go_Dogs
27-03-2016, 06:01 PM
I thought this was going to be about Biggs - but you're right TD, Dunkley looks a beauty.

I for one was a little surprised when we called his name on draft night, but he's been so impressive in his short time at the club and is very versatile with his size and ability to kick goals.

Thanks for a few free hits Swans!

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I suppose gaining Biggs (& Hamilton) & Dunkley and pick 56 this year is a fair trade for losing Cooney, Tahleeya and pick 25.

It's almost cruel watching Cooney, well not really run, kind of wander around. He looks about as fit to play AFL football as I am.

I guess the half a mil or so every year would soften the blow.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Pun intended :D

Hehe.

Smads57
27-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Thought Dunks played a good game for us first up. Didnt take a backward step.

Mantis
27-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Needs to be more about Biggs.. Thought, what the *!*!*!*! have we got here when he stunk it up in his first game.. But he is quality.

Dunks was handy too in his first game. :)

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 06:22 PM
I don't mind it being about Biggs as well. We can throw Glenn Coleman, Darryl Griffen, Barry Hall and Bernard Toohey in as well.

Thanks Sydney.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 06:24 PM
I don't mind it being about Biggs as well. We can throw Glenn Coleman, Darryl Griffen, Barry Hall and Bernard Toohey in as well.

Thanks Sydney.

Vezpremi?

always right
27-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Needs to be more about Biggs.. Thought, what the *!*!*!*! have we got here when he stunk it up in his first game.. But he is quality.

Dunks was handy too in his first game. :)

Biggs was outstanding today....our best backman apart from JJ.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Vezpremi?

Yeah. Nah.

azabob
27-03-2016, 06:45 PM

Thanks Sydney.

Funnily enough its Daryl Griffin

strebla
27-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Garlick was a favourite of mine too

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Garlick was a favourite of mine too

Forgot about him. He played some good football. Simon Minton-Connell as well. Did that strong marking medium forward Thorpe come from Sydney as well? Can't remember his first name.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Forgot about him. He played some good football. Simon Minton-Connell as well. Did that strong marking medium forward Thorpe come from Sydney as well? Can't remember his first name.

Osborne, Garlick and SMC were favourites of mine. Osborne nearly kicked the winning goal in a final for us, before Brownless got us after the siren.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Richard Osborne. We've done pretty well out of Sydney for full forwards. I think 3 have won our goalkicking in the last 25 years.

Dry Rot
27-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Saw a lot of Dunkley's old man. Real hard bastard. Hope its in the genes.

Dry Rot
27-03-2016, 11:04 PM
I also think the Sydney game last year really made us believe in ourselves.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Osborne, Garlick and SMC were favourites of mine. Osborne nearly kicked the winning goal in a final for us, before Brownless got us after the siren.

Kicked an unbelievable goal at Whitten oval too. Chris gGrant told me it was the best goal he ever saw a bulldog player kick. A bounce, maybe two and then a 75-80 metre monster from way short of the 50.

Twodogs
27-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Saw a lot of Dunkley's old man. Real hard bastard. Hope its in the genes.

Was he the Sydney player that whacked his dislocated knee back in place with the heel of his hand at Geelong one day? That was tough.

bulldogtragic
27-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Was he the Sydney player that whacked his dislocated knee back in place with the heel of his hand at Geelong one day? That was tough.

Nah, that was Darren Creswell. Dunkley should've been suspended before their losing GF to North, but they kicked up an 'anti-Sydney' stink claim and the tribunal was after the GF after they got a Supreme Court injunction. Got 2 or 3 weeks. Hard old school defender.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-03-2016, 11:13 PM

I am pretty sure that was Cresswell.

Bulldog4life
28-03-2016, 03:42 AM

That was Alan Thorpe.

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 11:59 AM
That was Alan Thorpe.

Thanks B4L.

I liked the way he played, he was a really stylish player. I'm sure he came to us from Sydney.

He played some good footy with us but was too inconsistent. I think he had a degenerative knee problem too which wouldn't have helped.

Bulldog4life
28-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks B4L.

I liked the way he played, he was a really stylish player. I'm sure he came to us from Sydney.

He played some good footy with us but was too inconsistent. I think he had a degenerative knee problem too which wouldn't have helped.

Used to see him as a regular on the Marngrook AFL show TD but haven't seen him recently. Yes he was inconsistent. Left footer forward flanker I think. Kicked a few goals. He worked as a social worker for Indigenous guys in prison after he retired I remember reading. He didn't look indigenous with his pale skin and blonde hair....a bit like Barry Cable.

merantau
28-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Stuart Magee - Bulldog captain.

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Used to see him as a regular on the Marngrook AFL show TD but haven't seen him recently. Yes he was inconsistent. Left footer forward flanker I think. Kicked a few goals. He worked as a social worker for Indigenous guys in prison after he retired I remember reading. He didn't look indigenous with his pale skin and blonde hair....a bit like Barry Cable.

I wish he was as good as Barry Cable. I saw Cable handball a footy through a half open car window from 25 metres once. Apparantly it was his party trick.

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Stuart Magee - Bulldog captain.

One more. It's getting to quite a list. The swans have been almost as good to us as Braybrook.

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 03:51 PM
We pinched Charlie Sutton out of south Melbourne's back pocket too. Signed him just before the recruiting zones were redrawn and spotswood became Souths zone.

Ghost Dog
28-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Everitt, Tahlia, Sydney have done some nice work for us.

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Everitt, Tahlia, Sydney have done some nice work for us.

Barry Round went alright for them.:o

westdog54
28-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I wish he was as good as Barry Cable. I saw Cable handball a footy through a half open car window from 25 metres once. Apparantly it was his party trick.

If I recall correctly Polly Farmer did something similar. He was talking about it years ago on The Footy Show after Doug Hawkins asked him about it. The conversation then went something along the lines of:

"How fast was the car moving when you did it?"

"Well, ideally the car wasn't moving at all..."

"Oh, Sorry Pol'... (Hysterical Laughter from Doug and crowd)".

Twodogs
28-03-2016, 08:17 PM
If I recall correctly Polly Farmer did something similar. He was talking about it years ago on The Footy Show after Doug Hawkins asked him about it. The conversation then went something along the lines of:

"How fast was the car moving when you did it?"

"Well, ideally the car wasn't moving at all..."

"Oh, Sorry Pol'... (Hysterical Laughter from Doug and crowd)".

I'd imagine Doug would have been thinking to himself "OK, next time I try make sure the car isn't moving" IIRC Cable's boast was Farmer hand balled through a fully open car window but he had a half closed window.

strebla
28-03-2016, 11:40 PM
We came from so far back it broke my heart that one 😡😡😡😡😡

bulldogtragic
29-03-2016, 12:06 AM
We came from so far back it broke my heart that one ����������
Yep, I was young enough to dream early after Osborne kicked it despite only 12 seconds remaining. Crap. :(

Bulldog4life
29-03-2016, 12:59 AM
We pinched Charlie Sutton out of south Melbourne's back pocket too. Signed him just before the recruiting zones were redrawn and spotswood became Souths zone.

as a bit of aside Collingwood knocked back Teddy initially. Phew

Twodogs
29-03-2016, 01:49 AM
as a bit of aside Collingwood knocked back Teddy initially. Phew

"Come back when you've grown a bit, son"

craigsahibee
29-03-2016, 09:43 AM
One more. It's getting to quite a list. The swans have been almost as good to us as Braybrook.

Steven Hoffman !

Mofra
29-03-2016, 10:17 AM
OP is correct. Thanks Sydney.... for Shane Biggs too. 35 touches from a kid we paid nothing for. Happy

Doc26
30-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Barry Round went alright for them.:o

Not as influential as Barry, Neil Cordy also went on to play 90 plus games for them after a very good career with us.

Twodogs
30-03-2016, 12:23 AM
And a guy called Peter Morrison played a handful of games for us before going on to be a pretty good player for the swans in the early 80s. I think he was Ian Morrison's cousin.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2016, 12:25 AM
And a guy called Peter Morrison played a handful of games for us before going on to be a pretty good player for the swans in the early 80s. I think he was Ian Morrison's cousin.

I thought they were brothers but not 100% TD. You might be right.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2016, 12:44 AM
I thought they were brothers but not 100% TD. You might be right.

Actually can't find anything official to say they are related at all.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Talia out for a few weeks with a broken foot. Not a great start.

bornadog
30-03-2016, 11:06 AM

He played one game for us and 90 with South Melbourne. Refused to go to Sydney and ended up in Queensland. Not sure about the relationship with Ian. His son played for Brisbane and Richmond. (Shane), only 13 games in total.

Mantis
Talia out for a few weeks with a broken foot. Not a great start.

Out for 12 weeks.

It's not a great start in that I want him to play as he will weaken their team... But otherwise the care factor is zero.

bornadog
delete

Twodogs
30-03-2016, 11:12 AM
He played one game for us and 90 with South Melbourne. Refused to go to Sydney and ended up in Queensland. Not sure about the relationship with Ian. His son played for Brisbane and Richmond. (Shane), only 13 games in total.

And Shane probably earned 10 X the amount his old man did in 77 less games.

GVGjr
30-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Sydney want to thank us for having Dane Rampe at and around the club for a couple of years and not offering him a deal.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Sydney want to thank us for having Dane Rampe at and around the club for a couple of years and not offering him a deal.

I remember you were keen on him at the time GVG when he was with Willy seconds.

GVGjr
30-03-2016, 07:46 PM
I remember you were keen on him at the time GVG when he was with Willy seconds.

I think he played a mixture of seniors and reserves but mainly reserves as he had to make room for our players rolling back into Williamstown. At 25 he has already racked up over 70 senior games in a strong Swans line-up

I'm also having a close look at ex players over the last 7 or 8 years and there are some damning examples that don't reflect greatly on our management. I might add some context to this thread later in the week.

Twodogs
30-03-2016, 09:08 PM
I think he played a mixture of seniors and reserves but mainly reserves as he had to make room for our players rolling back into Williamstown. At 25 he has already racked up over 70 senior games in a strong Swans line-up

I'm also having a close look at ex players over the last 7 or 8 years and there are some damning examples that don't reflect greatly on our management. I might add some context to this thread later in the week.

You mean ex bulldog players at other clubs or ex players in general? Some of our ex players in general have found themselves in pretty bad situations.

GVGjr
30-03-2016, 09:57 PM
You mean ex bulldog players at other clubs or ex players in general? Some of our ex players in general have found themselves in pretty bad situations.

A combination of both. We have a real mixed bag of results.

The Doctor
30-03-2016, 10:46 PM
I don't rate Rampe that highly and I understand why the club didn't select him when presented numerous opportunities to do so.

Credit to him for carving out a solid career. The way I look at it the Swans preferred him on the list than Biggs. I think we win that.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2016, 10:57 PM
I don't rate Rampe that highly and I understand why the club didn't select him when presented numerous opportunities to do so.

Credit to him for carving out a solid career. The way I look at it the Swans preferred him on the list than Biggs. I think we win that.

Agreed.

I question Rampe's ability to defend and his kicking is overrated.

GVGjr
30-03-2016, 11:29 PM

That's not the context of how I look at it. It's not a case of Rampe vs Biggs
At the same time we overlooked Rampe we were extending offers to the likes of James Mulligan and some other very marginal players. We made a number of wrong calls during that time so it was hardly surprising he slipped though the cracks. Swans value him highly and I think he is a pretty decent player.

Is the highlighted section accurate? The Swans couldn't offer Biggs a spot on the list because they didn't have the room. It's not that they preferred Rampe over Biggs, they just didn't have the room on the list to keep Biggs. I don't see the link with Rampe and Biggs other than both clubs would be pleased with what they have.

Twodogs
30-03-2016, 11:32 PM
A combination of both. We have a real mixed bag of results.

Much like society at large I guess.

Should football clubs aim to turn out good people with positive attitudes? I think it's one of the briefs of a football club. Exposing the young people in their charge to the right sort of influences is a pretty important part of what they are about.

boydogs
31-03-2016, 03:17 AM
It's not that they preferred Rampe over Biggs, they just didn't have the room on the list to keep Biggs

They could have traded Rampe and kept Biggs couldn't they?

Swans supporters at the time were disappointed to lose Biggs, he was showing good signs as a Malceski replacement

GVGjr
31-03-2016, 03:21 AM
They could have traded Rampe and kept Biggs couldn't they?

Swans supporters at the time were disappointed to lose Biggs, he was showing good signs as a Malceski replacement

That's a long bow you are drawing. Making room for academy players was their issue.

Did those same Swan supporters you are quoting prefer Biggs over Rampe?

Remi Moses
31-03-2016, 03:24 AM
Steve Hoffman is another one we got at the tail end of his career .
Bones Mcghie I think went from us to south back in the day also .
Rampe's ok, but I'd prefer Biggs .
Great recruiting right there

Mofra
31-03-2016, 10:25 AM
One of my family members is a Swans man and he absolutely would have taken Biggsy - he doesn't rate Rampe's disposal.

For all our talk of our high draft picks, we have three former rookies in the backline now lauded as the most dangerous rebounding backline in the competition and one of those was a freebie from Sydney. Throw in a freebie from the Hawks as a FA (Suckling rotating through there) and our list managers deserve praise.

Bulldog Joe
31-03-2016, 10:44 AM
One of my family members is a Swans man and he absolutely would have taken Biggsy - he doesn't rate Rampe's disposal.

For all our talk of our high draft picks, we have three former rookies in the backline now lauded as the most dangerous rebounding backline in the competition and one of those was a freebie from Sydney. Throw in a freebie from the Hawks as a FA (Suckling rotating through there) and our list managers deserve praise.

Didn't Suckling also start as a rookie at Hawthorn?

Bulldog4life
31-03-2016, 10:47 AM

For one or two years I think.

bornadog
31-03-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes he was.

Mofra
31-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Damn we are rookie central!
Get Campbell & Adcock in the team now to bump up rookie numbers, and Dahl goes alright too

boydogs
31-03-2016, 03:30 PM
That's a long bow you are drawing. Making room for academy players was their issue.

Not sure but looks like Mofra found 1 that did

Like with Suckling & Hamling, it was a case of a good side rating the player but having to choose someone to let go, but maybe they picked the wrong player