PDA

View Full Version : Hrovat & Honeychurch

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Looking at the game yesterday, I'd say Dunkley, Dahl, Daniel, Maclean plus Dickson (Crameri next year) are great for the small forward with Hunter and others capable of rotating through small & medium forward. All these are long term players.

I wonder if Hrovat & Honeychurch are worth persisting as depth for forward and have them gunning for these spots, or is there a case to have one or both playing another role? If they can't get into the best 22 they become trade targets. A small lock down defender to play on Betts there's would be nice if it fits into the gameplan.

It's not baby and bath water stuff, but positional moves ala Bob, Picken, Boyd, Grant, Roughy, Wood and others has worked.

bornadog
28-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Looking at the game yesterday, I'd say Dunkley, Dahl, Daniel, Maclean plus Dickson (Crameri next year) are great for the small forward with Hunter and others capable of rotating through small & medium forward. All these are long term players.

I wonder if Hrovat & Honeychurch are worth persisting as depth for forward and have them gunning for these spots, or is there a case to have one or both playing another role? If they can't get into the best 22 they become trade targets. A small lock down defender to play on Betts there's would be nice if it fits into the gameplan.

It's not baby and bath water stuff, but positional moves ala Bob, Picken, Boyd, Grant, Roughy, Wood and others has worked.

Eventually, Bob, Boyd and Picken will be gone opening up more spots. Then there are the inevitable injuries, so you need backups.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Eventually, Bob, Boyd and Picken will be gone opening up more spots. Then there are the inevitable injuries, so you need backups.

I agree, those guys are middle and defence. Which is a reason for the question, should H&H development be on forward craft or send them the defence now for when retirements come?

bornadog
28-03-2016, 02:07 PM
I agree, those guys are middle and defence. Which is a reason for the question, should H&H development be on forward craft or send them the defence now for when retirements come?

Definitely needs to be considered.

Go_Dogs
28-03-2016, 02:40 PM
I think both Hrovat and Honeychurch are worth persisting with for now.

Hrovat was pretty good over the course of the pre-season and will play quite a bit of senior football this year. Honeychurch is a different style of player, but I think he can also play a role in our side.

Both need to continue to improve their decision making and disposal, because that's what lets them both down from time to time. I also wonder if Honeychurch has the motor to play through the midfield, which is a requirement for any of our smaller blokes who play forward - he certainly has the hardness to add a bit around the ball.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I think both Hrovat and Honeychurch are worth persisting with for now.

Hrovat was pretty good over the course of the pre-season and will play quite a bit of senior football this year. Honeychurch is a different style of player, but I think he can also play a role in our side.

Both need to continue to improve their decision making and disposal, because that's what lets them both down from time to time. I also wonder if Honeychurch has the motor to play through the midfield, which is a requirement for any of our smaller blokes who play forward - he certainly has the hardness to add a bit around the ball.

They're on the list, so we are persisting. Is it forward, mid or in defence? Bevo has long record of getting wins by changing players roles, is one or both of these needing a change with a glut of small forwards?

Dry Rot
28-03-2016, 02:50 PM
FWIW Honeychurch is a very good defensive forward.

westdog54
28-03-2016, 03:38 PM
They'll both need to be more versatile if they're going to command a spot on the list in the coming years.

We all know that their best is absolutely AFL standard, so anything we can do for them that makes them more valuable players on the list should be considered, and we're in the fortunate position of being able to use Footscray as a vehicle for that.

It may even increase any trade value in the event another club makes either of them a generous offer.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-03-2016, 05:15 PM
They'll both need to be more versatile if they're going to command a spot on the list in the coming years.

We all know that their best is absolutely AFL standard, so anything we can do for them that makes them more valuable players on the list should be considered, and we're in the fortunate position of being able to use Footscray as a vehicle for that.

It may even increase any trade value in the event another club makes either of them a generous offer.
Daniel and McLean both have more upside than H and H and the same might be true for Dale and Webb. You would have to think that both may struggle to become regular members of the side.

westdog54
28-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Daniel and McLean both have more upside than H and H and the same might be true for Dale and Webb. You would have to think that both may struggle to become regular members of the side.

In their current state, yes. Hence the need for the club to look at making them more versatile as footballers.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 06:51 PM
We've been shut out of the first round for a couple of years and I think there could be a chances players like Hrovat, Honeychurch and one or two others could potentially be used to move us up the draft order in either the 1st or 2nd rounds.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 06:58 PM
We've been shut out of the first round for a couple of years and I think there could be a chances players like Hrovat, Honeychurch and one or two others could potentially be used to move us up the draft order in either the 1st or 2nd rounds.

You've got my curiosity G. Who are the other one or two?

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 07:06 PM
You've got my curiosity G. Who are the other one or two?

I don't want to derail the thread from the 2 you started with but maybe some of the other players just outside of yesterdays 22 might attract some interest.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I don't want to derail the thread from the 2 you started with but maybe some of the other players just outside of yesterdays 22 might attract some interest.

Feel free to post in the rolling/moving list management thread. I'm keen to hear your views.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Feel free to post in the rolling/moving list management thread. I'm keen to hear your views.

I'd start with Hrovat and HC and I wouldn't mind betting a club or two might find big Jack interesting especially if he can't find a home in a Crameri less forward line with us. Hamilton might have 2 SA clubs interested as well. Webb and Dale might have some suitors.

We will start to get raided and while J-Mac has done a sensational job with his list management a small number of our boys will realise opportunities might be better elsewhere. Opposition clubs will start to get into the managers ears but that is the cycle of footy much like us offering Hamling a better deal than the Cats could.

Having depth in a playing list is great but I think we need to keep looking for star players. Moving up the draft rather than down could get us a better chance of achieving that.

comrade
28-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Hrovat & HC are firmly on the table. We're chock full of small & mid sized players, and neither of them have the weapons to be truly A-grade at the highest level. Good foot soldiers though, and will command decent picks at the trade table.

Happy to wait and see with Redpath. Another who lacks some tricks to be a true force at AFL level, but if Josh Walker can find a second home, surely Jack can. We are very light on key forward depth though, so having him on stand by is handy. If he does go, I'd look to bring in a journey man type to give us a back up.

Webb & Dale should be well off limits, as I see both of them as required players this year and beyond. Both have class in spades, and will be a big part of our future.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Webb & Dale are keepers in my book too. I think they can become best 22 in a very good side.

I'd trade H&H, but I'd like to think we'd try them in another role if they can. I guess Webb, Dale & Prudden are already in the queue awaiting a senior call up. Small lock down defender for a Betts, Boomer type might be handy, but I'm not sure we have any negative types. But having them both play 10 games competing for a small forward role seems illogical. I think one or both should maybe try something new. Bevo has a knack of doing that well with players.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Webb & Dale should be well off limits, as I see both of them as required players this year and beyond. Both have class in spades, and will be a big part of our future.

Webb & Dale are keepers in my book too. I think they can become best 22 in a very good side.

As I mentioned I didn't want to derail the discussions about HC and Hrovat however, perhaps the questions around the likes of Webb and Dale shouldn't be if they will be best 22 players, because I think they will be, but more about if they could be potential stars of the game and/or in our best 10 or 12 players.

We have a few A grade players now and something that Dalrymple and his team have done a mighty job in getting them to the club but we have missed two years of first round selections and some of the players on our list might now be used to move us up the draft order.

I look at Fremantle and I think they are showing some early signs of not being able to draft enough 1st rounders. It's food for thought to me.

bulldogtragic
28-03-2016, 10:21 PM
As I mentioned I didn't want to derail the discussions about HC and Hrovat however, perhaps the questions around the likes of Webb and Dale shouldn't be if they will be best 22 players, because I think they will be, but more about if they could be potential stars of the game and/or in our best 10 or 12 players.

We have a few A grade players now and something that Dalrymple and his team have done a mighty job in getting them to the club but we have missed two years of first round selections and some of the players on our list might now be used to move us up the draft order.

I look at Fremantle and I think they are showing some early signs of not being able to draft enough 1st rounders. It's food for thought to me.

Agree with all that. Staying on track, I guess I'm interested in hearing whether sending another two smalls to the defence is worthwhile considering our stocks there are already good. Or do we keep them forward and back them in to consolidate a best 22 as a forward. They've got talent no doubt, but I'm not sure where where they can perform the best or what position they will play the most games this year. Because if we can't get them best 22, then we do need trades (left for another thread) and these guys should think they can play more footy elsewhere, or buy in to the Hawthorn style of good fringe players staying for the good of the club.

GVGjr
28-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Agree with all that. Staying on track, I guess I'm interested in hearing whether sending another two smalls to the defence is worthwhile considering our stocks there are already good. Or do we keep them forward and back them in to consolidate a best 22 as a forward. They've got talent no doubt, but I'm not sure where where they can perform the best or what position they will play the most games this year. Because if we can't get them best 22, then we do need trades (left for another thread) and these guys should think they can play more footy elsewhere, or buy in to the Hawthorn style of good fringe players staying for the good of the club.

I don't think either Hrovat or Honeychurch would be long term options as defenders and really they need to be midfielders or small forwards who take their turn in the midfield. McLean, Daniel and probably Dale are currently superior options to play alongside of Dahlhaus as small forwards and midfielders.

They will need a bit of luck to force their way into the senior side and perhaps a bit more to stay there. It's a shame because they are both quality players and even better guys to have at the club. They can make it but need an extended go at it.

boydogs
29-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Honeychurch might be the one to get squeezed out. He's a crumber that would suit a side with multiple tall targets like Sydney or North, our style of run out of defense and forward pressure with a more mobile forward line doesn't really suit him

Hrovat had a good preseason and I see him as next cab off the rank if one of our mids goes down. Was unlucky not to be selected over Dunkley

Twodogs
29-03-2016, 09:48 AM

It's a good point about Freo. Lyon's crash through or crash style has them heading for the lower reaches of the ladder for a few seasons.

And I tend to agree about Webb and Dale. It's the fact they are best 22 that is he big attraction for other clubs. If they weren't best 22 they wouldn't have the trade value and we really need high draft picks to top the group up with some A grade talent and to replace the A grade talent (Murphy) that will retire sooner rather than later.

comrade
29-03-2016, 10:06 AM
It's a good point about Freo. Lyon's crash through or crash style has them heading for the lower reaches of the ladder for a few seasons.

And I tend to agree about Webb and Dale. It's the fact they are best 22 that is he big attraction for other clubs. If they weren't best 22 they wouldn't have the trade value and we really need high draft picks to top the group up with some A grade talent and to replace the A grade talent (Murphy) that will retire sooner rather than later.

If we were to give up one of them, I'd lean towards moving on Webb. Hard call, but I just feel that Dale's pace and finishing ability will be a vital ingredient over the coming years.

With Biggs, JJ & Suckling able to rotate through as the running half backs, Webb is more surplus to our long term needs. Interesting that he was primarily used in the middle and forward of centre in the VFL practice match, so perhaps we're grooming him for a midfield, high half forward role where he can use his left peg to hit targets inside 50.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2016, 10:21 AM
I'd almost be surprised if both HC and Hrovat were at the club next year. Both solid players but it's hard to see either one becoming a permanent fixture in our side. Out of the two, Hrovat has a more rounded game but he's been quickly passed by players like Daniel and McLean.

I'd love to hold onto them for depth purposes but you couldn't begrudge either one for seeking more opportunity, should they not receive enough of it this season.

Mofra
29-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Depth players - we will draft at least one kid this year that becomes best 22 in a hurry so it's not just our current list that H&H have to contend with.
McLean is the pony we need to back in as best 22, with Hunter a cardio beast playing wide and Caleb Daniel looking a unique player. I'd be happy if both stay and fight for spots (the way Hrovat did last year) but it's really hard to see how more than 1 or 2 kids on our list force their way into our best 22, let alone shorter attacking types we seem to have an abundance of, let alone after one more draft/trading period.

Twodogs
29-03-2016, 01:18 PM
If we were to give up one of them, I'd lean towards moving on Webb. Hard call, but I just feel that Dale's pace and finishing ability will be a vital ingredient over the coming years.

With Biggs, JJ & Suckling able to rotate through as the running half backs, Webb is more surplus to our long term needs. Interesting that he was primarily used in the middle and forward of centre in the VFL practice match, so perhaps we're grooming him for a midfield, high half forward role where he can use his left peg to hit targets inside 50.

Yep it's a really hard call. I don't want to lose any of them but I think Webb misses a chair when the music stops playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Yep it's a really hard call. I don't want to lose any of them but I think Webb misses a chair when the music stops playing.

I disagree on this one.

Webb's foot skills are already better than the majority on our list. In time, he may even become one of the elite users by foot in the competition. Additionally, he's slowly becoming more versatile and there's evidence to suggest the club is trying to work on this already. He's capable off the half back, he's being playing midfield this pre-season and he's had stints as a half forward.

Any time you have a player with great skills who can play in three areas of the ground, in today's age of footy, it's most likely a spot will be found. He should develop a solid body in time too.

I'm pretty optimistic about Webb's future.

Ozza
29-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Disagree on Webb. I reckon he will be a very good player for us in any of the half back, wing or half forward roles. He's a pretty logical replacement for the type of roles Murph, Boyd and Picken would be vacating in the next 1-3 years.

Great skills, good composure and knows how to find the footy.

GVGjr
29-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Disagree on Webb. I reckon he will be a very good player for us in any of the half back, wing or half forward roles. He's a pretty logical replacement for the type of roles Murph, Boyd and Picken would be vacating in the next 1-3 years.

Great skills, good composure and knows how to find the footy.

Agreed, I also think he can play as a forward moving into the midfield. I'm not suggesting we should trade him at all but I suspect that clubs might start asking some questions about our boys.

They will be scouting our list looking for players who might be interested in a move to a club where a regular game is a chance. North stumped a bit for Jed Anderson so I genuinely believe our boys might attract some attention.

bulldogtragic
30-03-2016, 01:09 AM
Count me on team Webb too. I really like what I saw last year and presuming he continues to develop he's around or in the best 22.