PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 3 2016 vs Hawthorn

Eastdog
28-03-2016, 04:16 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 3 match against Hawthorn at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
02-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Any changes likely?

SlimPickens
02-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Bailey Dale for Dunkley would be my only change

F'scary
02-04-2016, 11:08 PM
A few of our guys were looking pretty sore at the end. Wonder if there will be one or two who don't come up. The new bench cap will test a lot of teams' depth this year. Could suit us as we seem to have another dozen who could step straight in.

The Underdog
02-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Dunkley definitely seemed to struggle to run it out. Showed a bit again but could do with a rest and a game for a Jong or Dale.
Think a bit will depend on how some guys come up although an 8 day break will help.

dukedog
02-04-2016, 11:29 PM
Quiet game for Dunkley. Reward for effort means Dale takes his spot. This team is goin places!

Greystache
02-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Depending how everyone pulls up but I'd probably only look at Dale for Dunkley. It'll depend on whether Dale actually played well or just kicked 7 goals in a one sided smashing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dunkley get a number of games back to back.

GVGjr
02-04-2016, 11:40 PM
I'd change Dunkley for Webb or Adcock.

I'm not convinced with Suckling but he will play against his old side.

Hotdog60
02-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Is Suckling trying too hard or he hasn't quite worked out the pace we play.

westbulldog
02-04-2016, 11:50 PM
no change unless injuries and/or someone being rested.

GVGjr
03-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Is Suckling trying too hard or he hasn't quite worked out the pace we play.

No that is the way he played at the Hawks.

Hotdog60
03-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Anybody at the game notice if Stringer was moving ok after his goal in the 2nd quarter from the JJ intercept? Looked to be favouring the lower abdomen.

G-Mo77
03-04-2016, 01:05 AM
Anybody at the game notice if Stringer was moving ok after his goal in the 2nd quarter from the JJ intercept? Looked to be favouring the lower abdomen.

Yeah went off for a fair chunk of either that quarter or the 3rd. Seemed ok when he came back though.

There will be changes. We won't go 3 weeks without one. They were hitting our boys hard tonight, cheaply as well I might add so I'd expect at least 2. Dunkley will probably make way for Dale.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Out: Dunkley and M Boyd

In: Dale and Webb

Boyd to be managed and have a rest, whilst Dunkley may benefit from getting more opportunity with the ball in hand at VFL level for a few weeks after a good taste.

The two in's are the players I think are closest to selection at the moment and a game against Hawthorn is a great experience for them.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 02:11 AM

Boyd to be managed and have a rest, whilst Dunkley may benefit from getting more opportunity with the ball in hand at VFL level for a few weeks after a good taste.

The two in's are the players I think are closest to selection at the moment and a game against Hawthorn is a great experience for them.

Ditto.

comrade
03-04-2016, 02:17 AM
Ditto.

Yep, I'd be happy with that.

Rocco Jones
03-04-2016, 02:28 AM
I again sense a bit of trying too hard with selections. I see us being less choppy/development focused than last year and really having a crack at it.

Suckling definitely struggles with elements of our structure/footy in general but his strength i.e. just kicking is wow. Sub or not he kept on getting in Hawks 22 and I would easily keep him in.

Dale kicked 7 in a VFL practice match. Cool. I think he will be a quality player but don't see him physically being ready. Much harder side to get into than last year.

Maybe Dunkley out due to backing up but I would want someone physically ready to apply defensive pressure. Jong?

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 03:49 AM
Horvat's early practice match form surely will have him in line too.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 07:13 AM
I'd change Dunkley for Webb or Adcock.

I'm not convinced with Suckling but he will play against his old side.

Me either. It wasn't the stuff he didn't do right last night, he just looks slow and awkward out there at the moment compared to the players around him. I like that he can find space but he just seems out of sync with the rest of the team. How he fits into our structure is a work in progress and if Bevo really wants him in there he'll just need to play more game time to learn what we need him to do.

To me he's slowish, not great in traffic and is liable to coughing it up under pressure and I realise he is not the sort of player who should be at the coal face but he needs more than to land his left boot because Webb can do that too, and I'm keen to get Webb into the team. Agreed though that he will play against his old team.

Ins: Jong
Outs: Dunkley

The game next week will be tough and I see Jong being more battle ready to provide more grunt inside than Dale and can also generate more run.

Mantis
03-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Horvat's early practice match form surely will have him in line too.

Didn't play yesterday so perhaps he is injured??

As with a few others I don't think Dale is physically ready, especially against a mature team like the Hawks.. Sure he could get on the end of a few and finish them off with his elite finishing, but he just doesn't win enough one on one contests.. Yet.

Dunkley has taken some really strong grabs in the past few weeks and Dale doesn't have this ability.

Really impressed with Jong yesterday and I think he comes in.

Others in line would be Webb and Hamling.

GVGjr
03-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Is it too early in the season to be managing the veteran players? To me if M.Boyd is dropped they might dress it up as 'managing the veterans' but in reality it could be more around form.

Cyberdoggie
03-04-2016, 08:34 AM
I thought Easton Wood didn't look like he was moving that freely, possibly from last weeks bump and aerial work. I think he'll still play but wouldn't surprise me if he's carrying a niggle.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Is it too early in the season to be managing the veteran players? To me if M.Boyd is dropped they might dress it up as 'managing the veterans' but in reality it could be more around form.

Is M. Boyd out of form?

Hotdog60
03-04-2016, 09:02 AM
M Boyd must be playing a role that doesn't make you notice him as his stats are very good.
25 disposals 14 kicks 11 handballs 9 Marks at 84% effective disposal.

Murphy and JJ were only 1% better with the ball. Maybe they are not good examples because of metre gained.

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Is M. Boyd out of form?

I thought he played quite well.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 09:05 AM
M Boyd must be playing a role that doesn't make you notice him as his stats are very good.
25 disposals 14 kicks 11 handballs 9 Marks at 84% effective disposal.

Thought so. He made a few mistakes last week but his efficiency was through the roof against Freo as well. Maybe the players around him are just super-good making him look ordinary.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2016, 10:07 AM

Sure, and I think you may be right. On current form, Boyd would be our least-performed running defender (perhaps due to the great form of others, rather than him really battling) and given this part of the field is fast becoming our greatest strength, the time is probably right to blood someone who can be a 10 year player.

Boyd will be important throughout the second half of the season, as our kids tire, we have injuries and a seasoned body with experience will be required to help get us through those tough winter months. So whilst current form plays a part, managing him to be available when the going gets a bit tougher is a strong consideration too. A soft tissue injury now could potentially lay him out for some time and whilst it may seem quite early to rest him, the coach appears set to manage our players over the opening 6-8 weeks.

ledge
03-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Didn't play yesterday so perhaps he is injured??

As with a few others I don't think Dale is physically ready, especially against a mature team like the Hawks.. Sure he could get on the end of a few and finish them off with his elite finishing, but he just doesn't win enough one on one contests.. Yet.

Dunkley has taken some really strong grabs in the past few weeks and Dale doesn't have this ability.

Really impressed with Jong yesterday and I think he comes in.

Others in line would be Webb and Hamling.

Well I must say I don't agree with your take on Dale he killed it yesterday and his marking is a very strong point, he takes it at the highest point. Him and Hamling seem to have the ball on a string at the moment.
Hrovat is interesting, he was emergency last week to a no show at all yesterday, I asked Ben Graham where is Hrovat and the response I got was "I know exactly where he is " then just have a sort of smile,wouldn't elaborate and walked off, but was quite chatty before I asked. not sure what it meant , but if he was injured why wouldn't he just say he is injured , get the feeling something is amiss with him. But that's just my feeling.

soupman
03-04-2016, 10:19 AM
IMO Matty Boyd has had a poor start to the season.

Although his stats are healthy it's the little things that have started creeping into his game that worry me. Both weeks he has fumbled the ball when he is normally so clean or stuffed the handpass.

F'scary
03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Stringer seemed to be limping at times last night. Wood was a bit quieter, there's been suggestions here he looked as if he is carrying a niggle. Dunkley looked completely shot in the last quarter. There are probably a couple of others. I think we will be forced to make a couple of changes for the Hawks.

kruder
03-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Stringer seemed to be limping at times last night. Wood was a bit quieter, there's been suggestions here he looked as if he is carrying a niggle. Dunkley looked completely shot in the last quarter. There are probably a couple of others. I think we will be forced to make a couple of changes for the Hawks.

I think it was his abdomen. He has had issues with it in the past but hasn't stopped him playing.

SonofScray
03-04-2016, 11:38 AM
M Boyd and J Dunkley would be the two players that could benefit from a rest, or simply didn't do enough to keep others out. Perhaps Hamling and Dale were the best performed players in the reserves who could be somewhat like for like in terms of roles.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 11:49 AM
M Boyd and J Dunkley would be the two players that could benefit from a rest, or simply didn't do enough to keep others out. Perhaps Hamling and Dale were the best performed players in the reserves who could be somewhat like for like in terms of roles.

The Hawks don't have a KPF. I don't think we'll mess with the back line although I would like to get Webb and Jong into the team.

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I must be looking at different matches. I thought Boydy has had a good start to the season. His stats show that too but i am not just going on them. I have been at both matches played. He surely doesn't need a rest after two games either. But if he does fair enough. But you wouldn't drop him on form. Surely not.

Smads57
03-04-2016, 12:13 PM
In: Jong
Out: Dunks
like for like (height, midfield) but Jong a bigger body for lining up against Hawks. Personally, I have noticed a few fumbles by M Boyd these two weeks, but would persist with him for now.

Rocco Jones
03-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Really don't get why people want to mess with a defensive set up that's conceded 74 points over 2 games. It isn't as simple as adding another tall. Adding another will take away from the mobility of team defence. Saints have way more tall forward depth than our next 2 opponents. Beveridge really doesn't seem to care about matching the opposition anyway. Even if a side has 3 gun tall forwards I think his belief would be that we might not be able to stop them anyway, so we might as well focus on our strength.

Matthew Boyd is probably the 'least best' of our HB army but that says more about the quality of our team defence than it does about him. Sure rest him if he needs it but it's an 8 day break.

Only guy I see going out is Dunkley. Jong to come in to keep up manic pressure.

boydogs
03-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Dunkley & M Boyd for Dale & Hamling

Yeah our defense has been amazing and you could easily say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it hasn't been Matthew Boyd holding us together. Dunkley is struggling to get and stay involved and you have to reward good performance at lower levels

Rocco Jones
03-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Dunkley & M Boyd for Dale & Hamling

Yeah our defense has been amazing and you could easily say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it hasn't been Matthew Boyd holding us together. Dunkley is struggling to get and stay involved and you have to reward good performance at lower levels

Not saying Matthew Boyd is holding it together, just that adding a tall messes with the system. Hamling will need to be mobile. We aren't about one one one match ups. We are about mobility to cover eachother and get burn sides on counter.

Rocco Jones
03-04-2016, 01:12 PM
If Matthew Boyd is to go out, I would replace him with the most versatile defender we have rather than automatically go with a tall. Pretty sure this defence can handle Sicily, McEvoy and Schoemakers. I think we simply must try to expose those guys. Simply matching them with height just to be safe is so un-Beveridge.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Cannot understand why WOOFers calling for MBoyd to be dropped. Has played his part the last two weeks, and is in good form.

The only change I see is whether we drop Dunkley, but other than that the current 22 have done the job.

SonofScray
03-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Cannot understand why WOOFers calling for MBoyd to be dropped. Has played his part the last two weeks, and is in good form.

The only change I see is whether we drop Dunkley, but other than that the current 22 have done the job.

For me it would just be a man management thing given his age and the workload we're going to put him through. A break in between a handful of short turn arounds wouldn't hurt his capacity to remain fresh over the next month or so of footy and deeper into the season assuming he gets a few breaks in there. Perhaps after the Hawks game is better timing, a safer option if you want to play the percentages on expected W-L we might have locked in preseason. Results against Hawthorn and Freo early in the season open up a bit of space to move with the older blokes I think.

Hamling I see as capable of being a versatile enough defender to do what Boyd has been doing. Hard, physical work across half back and swinging the ball into the corridor or up the line as required. Obviously Boyd is a better player at this point, but its about the long game too.

Dunkley for Dale is just a reward for effort sort of decision amongst young blokes who should be encouraged to get plenty of the footy and have an impact at whatever level they're at. Dunkley hasn't done much wrong, but Dale was irresistible at WO yesterday.

G-Mo77
03-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Round 3 and 8 day break. Boyd is durable enough to cope with that.

chef
03-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Yep. Boyds not getting dropped any time soon.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Exactly, if he needs a rest after two games, then retire him now.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Boyd is not a running defender so comparing his form to the other 'running defenders' is unfair. He's there because he is experienced, generally makes the right decision and has the flexibility to play as an inside mid down there if we need to win the ball (which he hasn't had to do that much because everyone is pulling their weight hence his CPs are down). What I'm trying to say is that he brings things down there that others lack and if the chips are down Bevo knows he can bank on him. He's a lock and no-one in their right mind is going to tinker with a backline dripping 30 odd points a game.

strebla
03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I can't agree if it ain't broke don't fix it. If we can make it better or even keep it the same and get young players involved then we should.it is not only about next week or even this year but the next six or seven years.maybbe the hawks game isn't the right game but I want to see how our young roosters go Matt Boyd will always be Matt Boyd but Hamling and Cordy are the future.

boydogs
03-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Hamling will need to be mobile

Seems pretty mobile to me. Much more so than Roberts or Roughead

ratsmac
03-04-2016, 10:14 PM
I must be looking at different matches. I thought Boydy has had a good start to the season. His stats show that too but i am not just going on them. I have been at both matches played. He surely doesn't need a rest after two games either. But if he does fair enough. But you wouldn't drop him on form. Surely not.

Yep. Boyds not getting dropped any time soon.

Boyd is not a running defender so comparing his form to the other 'running defenders' is unfair. He's there because he is experienced, generally makes the right decision and has the flexibility to play as an inside mid down there if we need to win the ball (which he hasn't had to do that much because everyone is pulling their weight hence his CPs are down). What I'm trying to say is that he brings things down there that others lack and if the chips are down Bevo knows he can bank on him. He's a lock and no-one in their right mind is going to tinker with a backline dripping 30 odd points a game.

Yep that's good enough for me.

Unless he is rested he plays. If you want to nit pick there are others making more sloppy skill errors the M Boyd (I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago).

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 11:07 PM
He is currently ranked 13th in the AFL for effective disposals and is averaging 23 effective disposals a game. Top notch.

LostDoggy
03-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Boyd lacked match time round 1 and made a few errors.

He was much better this match. Got caught once or twice but played a good game.

He will get better with each game. Must stay

Greystache
03-04-2016, 11:41 PM
He is currently ranked 13th in the AFL for effective disposals and is averaging 23 effective disposals a game. Top notch.

He's had 6 contested possessions for the season. If he's not going at 90% he's a liability. He's filling a hole, playing a role as a player the ball gets transitioned through as we work it around the backline while waiting for an option to open up for JJ, Biggs, or Murphy. In traffic he's looked decidedly slow and indecisive but it hasn't been an issue in the first two weeks.

1eyedog
03-04-2016, 11:58 PM
He's had 6 contested possessions for the season. If he's not going at 90% he's a liability. He's filling a hole, playing a role as a player the ball gets transitioned through as we work it around the backline while waiting for an option to open up for JJ, Biggs, or Murphy. In traffic he's looked decidedly slow and indecisive but it hasn't been an issue in the first two weeks.

He hasn't needed to win the ball down back we've hardly been in contested situations in the first two games. We've had excellent rebound out of the back half and our mids have piled on a mountain of pressure. We've retained possession and the majority of time we've had the outcomes we desire when the opposition has had it. Mitch is our top CP winner ranked 16. We just haven't been in hot situations across the ground yet. I agree that he has played the role you describe above but if it does heat up I'm confident he can win contested ball, as he always has and I think he is reasonable insurance down there if it is required.

I agree he's had a bruise free two weeks but the coal face gets markedly hotter next week and it will be interesting to see what he brings. He's clearly playing his role but I agree he needs to be multi-dimensional in it and that opportunity may come this week.

ratsmac
04-04-2016, 01:29 AM
He hasn't needed to win the ball down back we've hardly been in contested situations in the first two games. We've had excellent rebound out of the back half and our mids have piled on a mountain of pressure. We've retained possession and the majority of time we've had the outcomes we desire when the opposition has had it. Mitch is our top CP winner ranked 16. We just haven't been in hot situations across the ground yet. I agree that he has played the role you describe above but if it does heat up I'm confident he can win contested ball, as he always has and I think he is reasonable insurance down there if it is required.

I agree he's had a bruise free two weeks but the coal face gets markedly hotter next week and it will be interesting to see what he brings. He's clearly playing his role but I agree he needs to be multi-dimensional in it and that opportunity may come this week.

Good point you make.

He can also have a run through the midfield if need be. He is a very smart footballer and is super strong. I want him in this week against the Hawks because he is in our best 22 IMO. I want to see our best play the current premiers. I think we all agree he will be rested soon as will Bob and Moz.

Out - Dunkley
In - Dale or Jong

Ghost Dog
04-04-2016, 01:53 AM
Boyd is a good leader to have down back. Directs the troops with Moz. Good coverage in case of a midfield emergency. Hasn't cost us any major plays in the first two games, not that obviously anyway. Marcus has looked great first two games but he'll need direction and leaders down there. don't want to expect too much.

With Dale, if Daniel can play on men, so can Dale. Play him on form. I think he'll be ok. Accuracy has been a problem for us. He might be the answer. Dunkley to rest

Dry Rot
04-04-2016, 02:26 AM
We play the real hard men this week.

Adcock or Jong for Dunkley. And we need someone to stop Mitchell.

I suspect Clarkson has Puopolo in mind to curb JJ.

The Doctor
04-04-2016, 08:57 AM
I'd be a bit surprised if Dunkley was left out this week. Our selection policy with the younger players last year was to give them an extended go in most cases and I think that was a real strength in helping develop them. I don't like yoyo selections. Dunkley looks a fine player to me and I'd like to see him up against the Hawks.

I'd also like to see Hamling tried as a CHF for a few weeks at footscray.

westdog54
04-04-2016, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure I like the idea of bringing in someone purely to play on the one player. If that player starts getting towelled up you've weakened the side overall. We had almost a dozen players match up on Fyfe in round 1 to great effect. Back your set up in to curb a player's influence, I say.

Put your best 22 on the park and move the match-ups around accordingly.

always right
04-04-2016, 10:35 AM

Not sure Clarkson coaches like that. Our running backs will have Puopolo and Rioli buzzing around at the heels all game.....a real test for our blokes and their decision making will need to be spot on.

Mitchell is key for the hawks as his kicking can unlock our zone defence. No bombs coming in long this week....Mitchell and his teammates will look to kick short into their forwardline at every opportunity. Our blokes need to be all over this.

Mantis
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Not sure Clarkson coaches like that. Our running backs will have Puopolo and Rioli buzzing around at the heels all game.....a real test for our blokes and their decision making will need to be spot on.

Mitchell is key for the hawks as his kicking can unlock our zone defence. No bombs coming in long this week....Mitchell and his teammates will look to kick short into their forwardline at every opportunity. Our blokes need to be all over this.

And that's where they will open us up if our forward & midfield pressure isn't up to scratch.. We need to bring the same defensive intensity to the game as per rd 1.

always right
04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
And that's where they will open us up if our forward & midfield pressure isn't up to scratch.. We need to bring the same defensive intensity to the game as per rd 1.

We all know Bevo's reluctance to tag. Is Mitchell the exception?

Mantis
04-04-2016, 11:20 AM

We can't let him run around by himself, especially on the counter, but I wouldn't be using a 'hard tag'.. Back our mids to win the contested ball and give him something to chase.

kruder
04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
It hasn't been mentioned much but our half forward line is a real worry against the top teams. On Saturday night the Saints had a few players behind the ball at times which drove shallow entries. If you were then to add some serious heat up the field our scoring would dry up significantly IMO particularly on the G. Macrae/Stevens/Dunckley/Jong isn't the answer for mine and I'm not sure about Redpath's ability to play high either but its food for thought thats for sure.

1eyedog
04-04-2016, 11:38 AM
It hasn't been mentioned much but our half forward line is a real worry against the top teams. On Saturday night the Saints had a few players behind the ball at times which drove shallow entries. If you were then to add some serious heat up the field our scoring would dry up significantly IMO particularly on the G. Macrae/Stevens/Dunckley/Jong isn't the answer for mine and I'm not sure about Redpath's ability to play high either but its food for thought thats for sure.

We really miss Crameri in this role. He's really the missing piece isn't he. The only player I can think of who can play the high forward role at an elite level is Bob, but, that's putting more pressure on Biggs, JJ and Suckling, not to mention the pressure it places on Bob's knees.

We haven't needed a good contested mark or even a very good marking target across half forward because of our ability by foot out of the back half. We've substituted Carmeri's role with Hunter, Daniel and Picken pushing forward hard and it's been relatively successful. Roughie's mobility and ability to mark the ball has helped somewhat. Hopefully it all holds up.

Mantis
04-04-2016, 11:44 AM
We haven't needed a good contested mark or even a very good marking target across half forward because of our ability by foot out of the back half. We've substituted Crameri's role with Hunter, Daniel and Picken pushing forward hard and it's been relatively successful. Roughie's mobility and ability to mark the ball has helped somewhat. Hopefully it all holds up.

Add in McLean who has led up well in the first 2 gams.. But playing the Hawks is at a different level.

kruder
04-04-2016, 12:05 PM
We really miss Crameri in this role. He's really the missing piece isn't he. The only player I can think of who can play the high forward role at an elite level is Bob, but, that's putting more pressure on Biggs, JJ and Suckling, not to mention the pressure it places on Bob's knees.

We haven't needed a good contested mark or even a very good marking target across half forward because of our ability by foot out of the back half. We've substituted Carmeri's role with Hunter, Daniel and Picken pushing forward hard and it's been relatively successful. Roughie's mobility and ability to mark the ball has helped somewhat. Hopefully it all holds up.

He is. If he was playing I would think we would have as good a shot as any for a premiership this year its absolutely wide open. I just just see the G finding us out in this area when the whips are cracking not necessarily the high press as the media is suggesting in which we can evolve.

Ozza
04-04-2016, 12:34 PM
I'd like to see us make a change or two this week. If only to stay in front of the cumulative fatigue which players will experience this season - particularly the younger players. Would be happy to see Dale or Webb (or both) come in for Dunkley and any other player/players showing signs of soreness/fatigue.

I realise it is only early in the season - but we have the depth to be taking the view that we genuinely have a squad of 26/27 to be rotating through.

Perhaps the Brisbane and Carlton games coming up will be targets to give a Matt Boyd type a week off.

LostDoggy
04-04-2016, 12:40 PM
No change again for me.
If everyone is fit to play from last week then so be it.
Can't argue against a team that have only given up 10 goals in the first 2 weeks while we are still playin our Men of Mayhem style.

The Doctor
04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Mitchell won't get it coz Libba will get it first!!

always right
04-04-2016, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see Wallis match up on Mitchell as he will make life as difficult as possible. His form hasn't been fantastic in the first two rounds from an offensive viewpoint so we would not lose a lot by sending him to Mitchell.

We also need to pressure their defenders so I would drop Dunkley who is not blessed with pace and bring in Jong or Dale.

Mantis
04-04-2016, 02:40 PM
We also need to pressure their defenders so I would drop Dunkley who is not blessed with pace and bring in Jong or Dale.

Is Dale any quicker than Dunkley?

bornadog
04-04-2016, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see Wallis match up on Mitchell as he will make life as difficult as possible. His form hasn't been fantastic in the first two rounds from an offensive viewpoint so we would not lose a lot by sending him to Mitchell.

Wallis owes one to Mitchell. Wally got a punch in the face in his first year, behind the play. Hate that little sniper, watch the knees into the thighs.

always right
04-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Is Dale any quicker than Dunkley?

Looks a lot quicker to me. My preference is for Jong to come in though.

Before I Die
04-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Will our defensive structures still hold up if we tag someone? As soon as one player stays with their man and doesn't close down space holes will open up.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2016, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't start off by tagging Mitchell, because it's not our style and we've proven to be effective through other means, but I would consider it if he starts influencing the game too much.

bornadog
06-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Will Jack or Campbell come in?

LUKE Beveridge has conceded he may play an extra tall forward against Hawthorn on Sunday to thwart the influence of key playmaker Josh Gibson.
The All Australian backman had a career-high 44 possessions in Hawthorn’s win over West Coast on the weekend and Beveridge said he couldn't afford to let Gibson run riot again.

Happy Days
06-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Will Jack or Campbell come in?

Not sure I agree with Bevo's detective work there. Gibson will just run off Campbell and Redpath like he would anyone else; we should just play our best 6 forwards (i.e: neither of those guys).

Rocco Jones
06-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I think what Beveridge says to the press about our tactical approach and what said tactical approach actually is on game day may differ.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 12:09 PM

He scored a goal or two from memory. Busy sacrificing his game I guess. He should be kicking more goals in your view?

always right
06-04-2016, 12:47 PM
He scored a goal or two from memory. Busy sacrificing his game I guess. He should be kicking more goals in your view?

If you're referring to Dunkley.....I'm not knocking the kid, I just think Hawthorn provides us with a very different challenge this week and Dunkley may not be quite the right selection. He's done particularly well in two games we have pretty much dominated. He's going to be a good player.

Smads57
06-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I'm just so looking forward to this game regardless of the MC decisions as it will go some way to validating our season. Even if we lose I won't be disappointed as it will give me some idea of where we stand in the pecking order and what we can look forward to for the rest of the year. The AFL couldn't have pick a better team for us to play in round 3.....

bornadog
06-04-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm just so looking forward to this game regardless of the MC decisions as it will go some way to validating our season. Even if we lose I won't be disappointed as it will give me some idea of where we stand in the pecking order and what we can look forward to for the rest of the year. The AFL couldn't have pick a better team for us to play in round 3.....

We should be playing this on Friday night, instead they put on two lower ranked teams. :)

jeemak
06-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Not sure I agree with Bevo's detective work there. Gibson will just run off Campbell and Redpath like he would anyone else; we should just play our best 6 forwards (i.e: neither of those guys).

Fargo?

bulldogtragic
07-04-2016, 12:01 AM

Mess with the head of their fullback. Send Bonts down forward to match up on Frawley. Frawley will still be having nightmares about being embarrassed twice in 15 seconds by Bonts for what should've been goal of the year.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2016, 02:24 AM
If you're referring to Dunkley.....I'm not knocking the kid, I just think Hawthorn provides us with a very different challenge this week and Dunkley may not be quite the right selection. He's done particularly well in two games we have pretty much dominated. He's going to be a good player.

Sorry AR, I meant Mitch. I thought he had a dour role in the first two and still scored. Maybe his offensive game was limited by his brief, but he has scored more goals each year. With Crameri and Dicko out, we need our mids to score a few more.

Dunkley I agree, I think it would be better to have Jong in, if he's fit. Definitely one player who steps up in big games.

Bevo has showed a willingness to blood youngsters in big games before.

westbulldog
07-04-2016, 02:07 PM
I would consider Liam Picken to shut down Gibson.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 07:33 PM
IN: Tom Campbell, Joel Hamling, Lin Jong

No Outs at this stage.

JJ playing 50th

bulldogtragic
07-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Interesting to see what the bench ends up.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Interesting to see what the bench ends up.

Currently:

INTERCHANGE FROM*
15 Tom Campbell
16 Toby McLean
20 Josh Dunkley
25 Koby Stevens
30 Joel Hamling
35 Caleb Daniel
46 Lin Jong
*Three to be omitted

Rocco Jones
07-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I think Jong for Dunkley. Bigger body and adds defensive pressure (Dunkley does too).

bulldogtragic
07-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Daniel & Stevens pick themselves if fit.
McLean would be odds on.

Campbell, Dunkley, Hamling, Jong for one spot.

A. We go Campbell & Roughy rucking and forward/defence. Boyd stays at FF.
B. Stay with Dunkley and single ruck with Boyd pinch hitting
C. Hamling for cover down back.
D. Jong for another big body, whose a handy resting forward.

I think I'm in the A or D camp. But open to suggestion.

Eastdog
07-04-2016, 07:59 PM
IN: Tom Campbell, Joel Hamling, Lin Jong

No Outs at this stage.

JJ playing 50th

Congrats to JJ. Who is likely to make way for Campbell, Hamling and Jong which are all good inclusions.

Smads57
07-04-2016, 08:13 PM
McLean would be odds on.

Campbell, Dunkley, Hamling, Jong for one spot.

A. We go Campbell & Roughy rucking and forward/defence. Boyd stays at FF.
B. Stay with Dunkley and single ruck with Boyd pinch hitting
C. Hamling for cover down back.
D. Jong for another big body, whose a handy resting forward.

I think I'm in the A or D camp. But open to suggestion.

I'm going D - hard body and a potential tall in the forward line for Gibson to worry about.

azabob
07-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Congrats to JJ. Who is likely to make way for Campbell, Hamling and Jong which are all good inclusions.

Easty, the final bench wont be named until tomorrow night. Meaning that Campbell, Jong and Hamling are not necessarily playing.

Eastdog
07-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Easty, the final bench wont be named until tomorrow night. Meaning that Campbell, Jong and Hamling are not necessarily playing.

Yeah our match isn't till Sunday. Are the final teams usually announced 2 days before?

Rocco Jones
07-04-2016, 09:09 PM
McLean would be odds on.

I'd say Toby McLean should be a lock too. For this game at least.

azabob
07-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Yeah our match isn't till Sunday. Are the final teams usually announced 2 days before?

Friday and Saturday games on Thursday.

Sunday games final teams on Friday.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 11:34 PM
We could be unchanged again, although Bevo was tossing up to bring in another tall to play forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2016, 12:18 AM
I think Jong for Dunkley. Bigger body and adds defensive pressure (Dunkley does too).

I'd do this too.

Until we get exposed for either a lack of KPD cover or another ruck, I wouldn't be bringing in another tall and potentially upsetting the balance. Dunkley has been solid and even spent time in the middle last week, but Jong provides a harder more experienced edge when we might need it.

jeemak
08-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Much like our team our potential inclusions haven't been tested as yet. Whichever way we go this week we'll have a much better understanding of how we're sitting Sunday night.

I'd put Hamling in for Dunkley to lend support to our back end and hedge against Hawthorn playing a positional game to upset our defence. We've had it our way structure and strategy wise these past two weeks, Hawthorn isn't going to play into our hands and let us play on our terms.

soupman
08-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Can't see why we would bring in Campbell.

Roughy has been fine as the lone ruckman and bringing Campbell in means one rests forward, which while making our forwardline taller doesn't make it better and actually sacrifices mobility. If we were planning on stretching their defence a bit then Redpath is the more mobile better option.

I think the change will be Jong in for Dunkley, I don't think we will touch our excellent defence just yet. Hawthorn's forwardline isn't filled with dangerous talls anyway, it's the smaller guys like Breust, Rioli and Puopolo that would do the damage.

bornadog
08-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Can't see why we would bring in Campbell.

Roughy has been fine as the lone ruckman and bringing Campbell in means one rests forward, which while making our forwardline taller doesn't make it better and actually sacrifices mobility. If we were planning on stretching their defence a bit then Redpath is the more mobile better option.

Perhaps Bevo is looking at the rucks and with Campbell in, Boyd gets to stay at FF and stretch the Hawks short backs. Add in a resting Roughy and Campbell as well.

I think Dunkley will play this week.

The Underdog
08-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Given our reliance on forward pressure I'd be surprised to see an extra tall come in. Roughy with Boyd as back up is working just fine. I've advocated for Hamling last week but we went small against 3 talls last week in the backline, so imagine we'll do the same. Likely still Jong for Dunkley depending upon fitness.

soupman
08-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Perhaps Bevo is looking at the rucks and with Campbell in, Boyd gets to stay at FF and stretch the Hawks short backs. Add in a resting Roughy and Campbell as well.

I just don't see the benefit.

Our sides strength atm is ball movement and mobility, neither of which Campbell improves. Campbell into the ruck free's up Boyd but Redpath also enables you to always have a key forward on the ground and is much more mobile and a better user. I like Campbell but I wouldn't pick either him or Roughead as primarily key forwards because honestly they just aren't very good at it and we sacrifice too much by having another tall up there with limited ability to use the ball or contribute to defensive pressure compared to someone like Jong.

Axe Man
08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I think playing Campbell would play right into Gibson's hands. He would love nothing more than to line up on Campbell or Roughy, zone off them, pick off the high ball and distribute it to the runners. If we are able to hit up smaller more mobile targets it will make life much more difficult for the Hawks defence.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I'd be happy to go with Jong for Dunkley this week, and agree with others comments that playing another genuine tall would play into Gibson's hands. Jong gives us some positional flexibility in that he can be used as inside muscle and can also go forward as a taller target.

Ozza
08-04-2016, 10:40 AM
I would have thought Campbell is no chance of playing.

It doesn't make any sense at all to play 2 x '1st Rucks', when it has worked well to have Boyd play forward/ruck.
In particular, against Hawthorn, you don't want to be down on your pressure inside F50 - so having Boyd and Roughead/Campbell in there at the same time potentially, is a horrible idea.

If there is any change - I would say Dunkley for either Hamling or Jong would be the only logical move.

hujsh
08-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Given no one thinks we'll play Campbell and that it makes no sense, I'll lock him in as definitely playing this week (and probably having a great game).

Greystache
08-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Given no one thinks we'll play Campbell and that it makes no sense, I'll lock him in as definitely playing this week (and probably having a great game).

Agree. I think we'll play Roughead at FB, Campbell will come in but play on the wing, and Biggs will play in the ruck and give Mcevoy a bath in the hitouts. Bevo's crazy!

bornadog
08-04-2016, 11:07 AM

PG said on his Friday 774 slot - "great to see Campbell, Hamling and Jong come in this week". :eek:

1eyedog
08-04-2016, 11:21 AM
PG said on his Friday 774 slot - "great to see Campbell, Hamling and Jong come in this week". :eek:

Why two big men I wonder when the Hawks don't have a key position forward? Maybe Hamling does go forward but I don't see the relevance of Campbell in and Roughie back with Adams. Its only Schoenmakers...

Who are we playing on Rioli?

bornadog
08-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Why two big men I wonder when the Hawks don't have a key position forward? Maybe Hamling does go forward but I don't see the relevance of Campbell in and Roughie back with Adams. Its on Schoenmakers!

Maybe he was just talking about the squad.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Jongy for Dunks is my preference too. But in Bevo we trust.

1eyedog
08-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Yeah I like Jong in for Dunks as well.

bornadog
08-04-2016, 11:46 AM
I favour unchanged.

always right
08-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Why two big men I wonder when the Hawks don't have a key position forward? Maybe Hamling does go forward but I don't see the relevance of Campbell in and Roughie back with Adams. Its only Schoenmakers...

Who are we playing on Rioli?
I think the two most likely scenarios are;
1. Unchanged
2. Jong for Dunkley

Hamling is an interesting one. Perhaps Bevo was simply playing mind games when he talked about bringing in another tall to help occupy Gibson. He mentioned Campbell or Redpath but perhaps he is looking at Hamling who is good overhead and far more mobile than the other two. He seems like someone who could adapt to the forwardline and also gives us some flexibility up back if Adams or Morris struggle.

Seems like the sport of surprise you often see in big matches.

bornadog
08-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I think the two most likely scenarios are;
1. Unchanged
2. Jong for Dunkley

Hamling is an interesting one. Perhaps Bevo was simply playing mind games when he talked about bringing in another tall to help occupy Gibson. He mentioned Campbell or Redpath but perhaps he is looking at Hamling who is good overhead and far more mobile than the other two. He seems like someone who could adapt to the forwardline and also gives us some flexibility up back if Adams or Morris struggle.

Seems like the sport of surprise you often see in big matches.

Has played forward for Geelong VFL, and I recall kicked a bag one day.

Mantis
08-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I think Jong adds a bit more pace both offensively and defensively which will be important this week.

Also has strong hands which is one of Dunkley's strengths.

1eyedog
08-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Lin Jong is pasted all over the place at the moment with the new team announcement. I have a gut feeling he will come in and that may be the only change.

F'scary
08-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Lin Jong is pasted all over the place at the moment with the new team announcement. I have a gut feeling he will come in and that may be the only change.

That is often a give away when the club highlights bringing someone into the squad who is named as an emergency.

hujsh
08-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Agree. I think we'll play Roughead at FB, Campbell will come in but play on the wing, and Biggs will play in the ruck and give Mcevoy a bath in the hitouts. Bevo's crazy!

Crazy like a fox!

bornadog
08-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Final Team

In Jong, Out Dunkley

Em; Campbell, Dunkley, Hamling.

Hawks:

In Shiel out Howe

Bulldog4life
08-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Final Team

In Jong, Out Dunkley

What a lot of us thought.

chef
08-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Good move.

Axe Man
08-04-2016, 06:12 PM
I can't believe the collective wisdom of WOOF got selection correct! Must be the first time ever under Bevo? :eek: Not sure I like it... maybe a late change to mix things up?

Remi Moses
08-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Nice if Liam Shiels missed another week .
Jong for Dunkley seemed logical.
Lin needs to improve his execution, and decision making though.

1eyedog
08-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Hope Jong has a ripper game. We all of a sudden got exponentially quicker.

LostDoggy
08-04-2016, 11:38 PM
I can't believe the collective wisdom of WOOF got selection correct! Must be the first time ever under Bevo? :eek: Not sure I like it... maybe a late change to mix things up?

I don't like it,Bevo's becoming to predictable! ;)

Go_Dogs
09-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Happy to see Jong included this week, he's played some pretty exciting football for us in patches and offers a point of difference in our midfield which isn't overly quick, whilst having the ability to take a mark and kick a goal, too.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Happy to see Jong included this week, he's played some pretty exciting football for us in patches and offers a point of difference in our midfield which isn't overly quick, whilst having the ability to take a mark and kick a goal, too.

Agree good move having "Mr.September" in. Has played well in big matches.

bornadog
09-04-2016, 01:04 PM

He needs to find consistency in his games.