PDA

View Full Version : Teddy EJ Whitten

bulldogtragic
02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Hi hope Twodogs doesn't mind the sharing of our conversation via PM this week. I was mentioning that my dear old grand mum has been married for most of her life, but if EJ could be brought back to life she would marry him in a heart beat. She still talks of EJ as more than a man, more than footballer, more than a western suburbs hero but almost god like (or even God like). Even all these years later EJ brings a sparkle to her eye and huge smile when we talk about him.

I mentioned this to TD and our consensus was the English language doesn't have the words to describe him and what he was to people and families of our local suburbs. It was my nans passionate stories as a young un about EJ that triggered the FFC DNA in me to activate. And after 7 decades, nothing's changed for her.

He's got a ground, statue, bridge, Hall of Fame spot, games record holder for a long time and SOO legacy. But being too young I can't comprehend what people who watched him at the time feel or describe. So I'm (and presumably others) up for a history lesson. If you can articulate it, what was the unique qualities or presence that captured the imagination of a lot people, and so bloody strong that those bonds can last 7 decades? I find it amazing that after so long, and after death, that he can be so loved and revered, even idolised like a God like no one I can think of in history, let alone footy.

Twodogs
02-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Great OP BT.

I went to EJs last game in 1970 but only being six my recollection is getting wet in the rain and finding a bunch of kids tobogganing down the slope behind the scoreboard on flattened cardboard boxes and in my head that's where I spent most of day. I should also mention that in my head I am on the ground standing next to Ted for the three quarter time address so I don't know how reliable that memory is.

My uncle, who's opinion I rate, once told me he saw EJ played the perfect game of football at Punt rd in an important game against Richmond. Does anyone know or remember which game and year he was talking about? I'd like to research it a bit.

SonofScray
02-04-2016, 12:55 PM
His legacy is all over my life. I drive past two statues of him most days, over his bridge, past his ground and spend most of my spare time discussing the game that became his namesake. His is one of the really terrific tales of influence and leadership. Probably never to be replicated.

GVGjr
02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Good thread BT.

I've mentioned on here before how my grandparents revered Ted Whitten but perhaps a few snippets might add to the thread.

My Nan would only buy her fruit and veges and groceries from the store that a young Ted worked at and I think only on the days she knew he would be there. She would grab her jeep and stroll to the shop frequently stopping along the way to talk to people because most people weren't inside there homes watching the TV or on the phone etc they were in their gardens either picking their fruit trees or looking after their almost manicured lawns. A 15 minute walk to the shop would probably take Nan closer to 30 minutes because she was such a friendly and engaging person she would have to stop and say hello. During the footy season the conversations were often about Footscray and I'm led to believe Ted.

Once she eventually got to the shop she was greeted with a loud "Hello Mum" from the larger than life Ted "What can I get you today?" A quick chat about the footy would follow as Ted carefully filled her jeep with the chosen goods. The trip home probably took her even longer as she now could tell people that Ted helped her fill the jeep.

My Nan was a very tolerant lady and accepted peoples differing views but not when it came to opinions on Ted Whitten. He was the one and only from her point of view and could do no wrong.

My Grandfather wasn't anywhere near as tolerant as Nan. Most footy conversations with Bob would somehow lead into how good Whitten was. My favourite player was Bernie Quinlan and to be honest Bob never rated him that highly and I think he had some question marks on the level of courage Bernie displayed. Bob got it wrong but I could have never said that to him.
Whenever I mentioned how good I thought Bernie was Bob would quickly counter with how much better Ted was. You listened and nodded the head because to challenge it was an argument you would never win.

My memories of seeing Ted the player are somewhat limited but the memories of the conversations I had with so many people over the years about his abilities on the field will live with me forever.

I've read a lot of article and even found some books where Ted shared his views on how positions should be played and there is no doubt he was a modern day attacking player and brutally loyal to his team mates.

From everything I have gathered in a lifetime of listening to things about Ted Whitten and reading anything I could get my hands on about him I'd have to say the one word to describe him was "visionary"

He was ahead of his time on the playing field, he was one of the first to because a sports entertainer and his ability to unite the AFL community behind the Big V was remarkable. So many AFL people regard Ted as one of the best ever footballers but on top of that I think he was also a remarkable person off the field. Ted led and people followed. He was simply the centre of attention.

Eastdog
02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
His legacy is all over my life. I drive past two statues of him most days, over his bridge, past his ground and spend most of my spare time discussing the game that became his namesake. His is one of the really terrific tales of influence and leadership. Probably never to be replicated.

Whitten recognition:

Braybrook Hotel I believe but correct me if I'm wrong
Western Ring Road - EJ Whitten Bridge over the Maribyrnong River
Western Oval renamed Whitten Oval

bulldogtragic
02-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Great story G. My parents and uncles and aunts all loved Dougie Hawkins. So does my nan, but she has two framed photos on the wall. A Doug Hawkins personally signed photo. Clearly above it on the wall, a non signed photo of EJ. Whenever the conversation comes up it's almost the same, 'I love Dougie, but EJ's the best and always will be".

But I take it it's not only about footy, but growing up poor in Western Suburbs I think when she talks about EJ it's beyond footy. EJ came along post WW2 when times were even tougher, footy was the great distraction but we'd beaten into submission upon entering the VFL. Then along comes EJ, and a flag!! I never tire of talking about her GF day in 1954 and going to the ground afterwards.

To me it seems that EJ was the person that gave her/us all hope that we could be the people we wanted to be. That we were not always destined to be impoverished, that we could achieve the best, almost like a messiah. That he inspired pride so that people could say yeah were from Footscray, just like Teddy, so what! My nan and several aunty Joyce's would always try to time things to be around EJ too. We've had a fair share of gun players since EJ, and people can be nostalgic about 'in my day'. But people who lived in EJ's time talk not out of nostalgia, but like a thankful and happy worshipper (good thing).

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I used to wish he was my dad he was so nice to us urchins who hung around the footy ground

Eastdog
02-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Would have loved to have met EJ. He would of been a great bloke to chat to.

bornadog
02-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Growing up I only saw EJ play in his latter years and also went to his last game. However, as a kid in primary school we knew he was Mr Football and also the greatest player that ever played the game. Of course my first jumper had the number 3 on the back.:)

After his retirement ran into him when he was broadcasting footy, and we were on the way to the can bar. Always friendly, but scary ( in a nice way) and happy to say hello.

He is a true legend of AFL.

F'scary
02-04-2016, 07:57 PM
My Grandfather was the bank manager of ANZ at Williamstown during the 50's and into the 60's. His bank had EJ's grocery store account. EJ did not make as much money as he should have out of his grocery business because he gave lots of credit to customers who couldn't pay for their shopping. Heaps of debtors write offs. My grandfather told me this in the early 2000's before he died.

Twodogs
02-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Growing up I only saw EJ play in his latter years and also went to his last game. However, as a kid in primary school we knew he was Mr Football and also the greatest player that ever played the game. Of course my first jumper had the number 3 on the back.:)

After his retirement ran into him when he was broadcasting footy, and we were on the way to the can bar. Always friendly, but scary ( in a nice way) and happy to say hello.

He is a true legend of AFL.

Yeah he could be a little bit intimidating. But he was Mr Football.

bulldogtragic
02-04-2016, 08:16 PM
I have imprinted on my brain: "Always shake a mans hand as hard as you can and look them in the eyes. Like EJ does" - Nan to me as a kid.

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 12:14 AM
I have imprinted on my brain: "Always shake a mans hand as hard as you can and look them in the eyes. Like EJ does" - Nan to me as a kid.

Jason Akermanis said a similar thing to my son when he met him. "look me in the eyes son."

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 04:07 AM
I was lucky enough to see Ted play a lot of games with us. He was a magnificent. Could play literally ANY position on the ground and play it well. He was and still is Mr. Football. Mathews, Ablett, Carey no where near him. Growing up I went To Yarraville West primary school and Ted lived opposite the school. He was always out washing his car in his front yard especially as we left school and all the kids would yell out "Hi Ted" and he always responded.

Growing up I was lucky enough to meet the great man. He nearly broke my hand. It was after a game at The Western Oval where I introduced myself and told him I used to know where he live. He laughed. I felt like a stalker. When he left after our small coversation he said 'Well see you knackers". I later discovered he called everyone knackers.

Teddy was a mixture of superman and Batman BT. I understand where your nana is coming from. Only difference was Ted was real. And he was ours.

merantau
03-04-2016, 04:24 PM
As a kid growing up in Braybook from 1951 on, Ted Whitten was as much a fixture in my life as the daily sunrise. Sadly, I can't recall 1954. Coming from a family of ten pound Poms, the old man, being a Geordie, was a mad Newcastle supporter. The early 50s was their Golden Era winning the FA Cup 3 times in 5 years. Consequently VFL was not on the radar. I was only a little kid anyway - not aware of much except where the biscuit tin was stored. Later Mum told me that when she saw all the red, white and blue streamers in Footscray she thought it had something to do with the Royal Visit!

I started following the Dogs late in 1956. I learnt to read well because of it. The old man was an avid newspaper reader. We always got the Herald and on Saturdays the Sporting Globe too. There'd always be a crowd outside the milk bar waiting for the paper truck, especially if the Dogs had a win. I'd pour over the match reports and quickly learnt the Ted Whitten was THE player who dominated the game. We had some lean years from '57 - 60 and from '62 to Ted's retirement. But we had Ted and the rest didn't. I consider myself very lucky to have watched him play for 15 years. He was an out-and-out champion. There wasn't anything he couldn't do on a football ground. His feats of courage were inspirational, his skills sublime. He was centre stage in every game I ever saw.

I met him in 1959. At the time Ted had a driving school. He took my older brother for his licence. He got it first time and when they came back to the house my mother invited Ted in for a cup of tea. He sat around our kitchen table, ate fruit cake and chatted like he was one of us. I got his autograph. He was as natural as they come.

I well remember the last game of '61. We had to beat Geelong to make the four. It was them or us. In the second quarter Ted kicked the two longest drop kick goals ever seen at the Western/Whitten Oval. From far out on the Doug Hawkins wing he launched these prodigious kicks. Raking drop kicks that just cleared the pack at the Barkly St end. I was in the stand. A Geelong supporter said, "Look at the idiot. He's gunna have a shot." Quick as a flash I yelled: 'He'll kick it!" And he did. Could you imagine how I felt as a kid? Ted put that clown back in his box for me! What a hero to have.

After the game me and my mate, Arthur Milligan, got into the rooms with hundreds of supporters. Ted stood on a table, bollock naked and gave a rousing speech. I remember him exhorting those present to 'stick with us, we're not here to make up the numbers. This is FOR REAL!'

There will only EVER be one Ted Whitten Though football be played from here to eternity we will never see the like of him again. A champion player and a champion bloke.

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 06:03 PM
I taught myself to read so I could read about football too. Thanks for a great post merantau.

Those long goals, were they on the run or set shots? Please and thank you. You can get a lot more distance from a properly timed drop kick than a normal drop punt.

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I taught myself to read so I could read about football too. Thanks for a great post merantau.

Those long goals, were they on the run or set shots? Please and thank you. You can get a lot more distance from a properly timed drop kick than a normal drop punt.

He kicked enormous set shots and on the run. I remember him kicking huge torps too as well as drop kicks. Truly the man could do anything, He even helped the umpires umpire the game. True.

merantau
03-04-2016, 07:16 PM

They were both from set shots after marks. In the Sun on Monday morning Lou Richards wrote: "Ted Whitten defeated Geelong with two drop kick goals. One went 85 yards, the other 84 yards, two feet and six inches."
I also witnessed Lou cut Ted's front lawn with a pair of nail scissors after we beat Melbourne in 1959 or 60, I think it was. We were on the bottom at the time and the Ds were top. A huge crowd showed up at Ted's milk bar in Hampshire Rd opposite Sunshine Tech. It was a great Sunday afternoon's entertainment.

The bulldog tragician
03-04-2016, 07:20 PM
They were both from set shots after marks. In the Sun on Monday morning Lou Richards wrote: "Ted Whitten defeated Geelong with two drop kick goals. One went 85 yards, the other 84 yards, two feet and six inches."
I also witnessed Lou cut Ted's front lawn with a pair of nail scissors after we beat Melbourne in 1959 or 60, I think it was. We were on the bottom at the time and the Ds were top. A huge crowd showed up at Ted's milk bar in Hampshire Rd opposite Sunshine Tech. It was a great Sunday afternoon's entertainment.
I love these stories. Most of us never saw him even close to his best, sadly. I know there are also tales about him conning the umpires by immediately pointing to the scoring end straight after the coin toss. By the time Ted had sprinted back to his players everyone was too flustered to call him to account. Given the wind at our home ground it was a serious advantage too.

merantau
03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I was at Arden Street the day he took that great mark standing on Frank Galle's back against the background of the gasometer. It is such an atmospheric photo. Footy being played in what looks like the middle of an industrial complex! To my great shock Ted went back and roosted the ball into South Kensington - for a point! But we went on to win the game. What a player!

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Do either of you guys remember a great game Ted played at Punt Road?

Bulldog4life
03-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Not off hand Twodogs. I remember seeing him mostly at The Western Oval. Went to a lot more home games than away games in those days.

merantau
03-04-2016, 10:41 PM
No, I don't but I do remember a game against Melbourne at the Western Oval where Ted orchestrated a come from behind win. We had been smashed early but had gradually made ground on them to trail by 3-4 goals at the last break.
Ted took the first bounce at the start of the last. He literally cannoned into Trevor Johnson, took the ball out of the ruck and booted it to the Geelong Rd end with the wind behind it. We got an early goal and from that point on it was obvious we were going to win. Ted was unstoppable. I think his natural competitiveness drove him to great heights against Melbourne because they were lead by Ron Barassi , another great player and man.

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 10:58 PM
No, I don't but I do remember a game against Melbourne at the Western Oval where Ted orchestrated a come from behind win. We had been smashed early but had gradually made ground on them to trail by 3-4 goals at the last break.
Ted took the first bounce at the start of the last. He literally cannoned into Trevor Johnson, took the ball out of the ruck and booted it to the Geelong Rd end with the wind behind it. We got an early goal and from that point on it was obvious we were going to win. Ted was unstoppable. I think his natural competitiveness drove him to great heights against Melbourne because they were lead by Ron Barassi , another great player and man.

Barrassi lived in Footscray when he was a kid. He lived of a street of Ballarat rd called Coral avenue during the war. I once asked him if he was ever any chance to be recruited by us and he said that he had moved from the district (his words, some of the westy must have stuck in his head) by the time VFL clubs started to notice him. He said that he was always going to play for Melbourne but if his dad hasn't played there then he was residentially bound to Carlton.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 11:00 PM
EJ called Barrassi - Mrs Football.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 11:01 PM
EJ called Barrassi - Mrs Football.

The special on EJ last year was amusing hearing Barassi explain the story.

Twodogs
03-04-2016, 11:06 PM
The special on EJ last year was amusing hearing Barassi explain the story.

Go on then.

How good would a team with Whitten and Barrassi in it be?

bornadog
03-04-2016, 11:06 PM

The only game I know was his first game and was Kod by Mopsy Fraser.

See the story here (http://www.victoria.org.au/E.J%20(Ted)%20Whitten.htm)

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Go on then.

How good would a team with Whitten and Barrassi in it be?

In short, EJ started calling Barassi Mrs Football and Barassi wasn't very fond of it at all. The Big V team was in SA (50's/60's) at the hotel and Barassi locked himself out of his room in the nude during the late hours. He couldn't get in and found himself banging on EJ's hotel room door, and EJ said through the door that the only way he opens the door for a naked Barassi is if he agrees to accept the Mrs Football tag. Barassi agreed.

Shrewd negotiation by EJ. Not afraid the use his bargaining strength and 50 years on 'Mrs Football' is still stuck on Barassi.

bulldogtragic
03-04-2016, 11:23 PM
He could sell a brand too could he, from the Four N Twenty Pies ads, to Adidas. I never tire of Dougie telling the story of rocking up with Puma boots and EJ getting stuck into him and getting him Adidas boots. Not least of which selling SOO footy when administrators were obviously not favourable to it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Some great memories from merantau and others. I knew EJ well. Without doubt Footscray's finest. Before joining the Bulldogs at 17 he had won both the Braybrook and District League's B and F on Saturday and similar both awards playing with Collingwood in the tough Sunday League competition. He started as a brilliant Centre Half Back for the Bulldogs and an absolute star at Centre Half Forward for Victoria over many years. Household names like Skilton and Aylett and State team mates revered his brilliance. In some ways his brilliance was sacrificed when he was forced to play as a ruck rover to help lift some average Footscray sides when he took over as Captain and Coach. Whitten and Schultz in both winning 5 Club best and fairests were clearly standouts throughout the '60's. EJ became a household name throughout Australia through his 30 year career with Adidas bringing him in contact with sports men and women of champion status. His State funeral probably the first ever afforded by a State Government in Victoria drew a church audience of 2,000 with a further 3,000 lining the streets to his burial place.Former champions such as Gary Ablett Snr, Brereton, Hawkins, Williams Weightman etc speak in awe of his influence as Chairman of Selectors where he became larger than life in the great State of Origin contests. He had a unique relationship with his son Ted Jnr and nothing gave EJ more pleasure than when young Ted was chosen to represent Victorian. Charlie Sutton rated Ted Whitten and Jack Collins the two finest Footscray players. Ted was the most gifted of League players you would ever see.he was the complete player.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 01:39 AM
I was in that crowd that turned out in Geelong rd to watch his funeral go past and there were more than 3000. I reckon it was closer to 10000.

craigsahibee
05-04-2016, 09:56 AM
EJ was my Dad's hero. I was less than 12 months old when I supposedly first saw him play!

I've posted this story before on another thread, but back in 1983 the club held a Family Day as part of it's Centenary Celebrations. On this day the 54 Premiership side played against the 61 Grand Final side.

EJ led the 54 team out for their warm up lap while I was out on the ground having a kick with my cousin. As they ran towards us, EJ up front with his barrell chest, called for the ball and held his hands out in front of his chest to receive the ball. From what I recall was about 15 metres away, I drilled a neat drop punt straight on to his chest. I don't reckon the ball went any higher than 4 foot off the ground. I thought at the time that what had just happened was pretty cool, but nowhere near the level of cool that my old man thought it was.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 10:00 AM
I remember that day. Was it really 38 years ago? We were closer in time then to 1954 than today is to 1982.

craigsahibee
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Only 33 years. I was 13 at the time. For a while there you had me thinking I missed my 50th birthday.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 10:51 AM
I don't know if anyone else on Woof was there but the last match I saw Ted coach was at Skinner Reserve. It was late 1989 when the Club was raising money to stay in the Competition there was an "old players" match between Footscray and Collingwood players. Ted was coach of Footscray and his speeches during the breaks were hilarious. I remember him saying to Georgie Bisset "you have to lift Georgie, lift". Not sure who won or lost but they made sure the game was close. Good memories.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Only 33 years. I was 13 at the time. For a while there you had me thinking I missed my 50th birthday.

You're right too. It was 33 years.

It's not making me feel any younger though.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't know if anyone else on Woof was there but the last match I saw Ted coach was at Skinner Reserve. It was late 1989 when the Club was raising money to stay in the Competition there was an "old players" match between Footscray and Collingwood players. Ted was coach of Footscray and his speeches during the breaks were hilarious. I remember him saying to Georgie Bisset "you have to lift Georgie, lift". Not sure who won or lost but they made sure the game was close. Good memories.

Was that game played after we'd raised enough money to save the club? I remember a carnival sort of attitude that day.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Was that game played after we'd raised enough money to save the club? I remember a carnival sort of attitude that day.

Not sure when it was TD. Yes it was a carnival type atmosphere with various activities for the kids.

bornadog
05-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Pretty sure it was part of save the dogs.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Pretty sure it was part of save the dogs.

It was organised as part of the fund raising is right but by the time the game came around they had announced the target had been met and it was like a big celebration type of atmosphere (not attitude) on the day of the game. Was the parade down Barkly street the next day?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Ted Whitten has lived inside me since my boyhood life in Footscray in the 1950’s. I baulked at this thread surprisingly but now I realise I don’t want to let him out completely. A few impressions will suffice:
-Two white wrist bands that etched the movement s of his hands
-He was manifestly the leader of the Footscray team of white red and blue doing great things for the team every game, protecting ,enforcing, goaling, kicks of such grandeur that the crowd applauded and lauded
-A kick on his left over his right shouder running away from goal between the flank and wing that goaled ;
-A mark high above the pack and a flickpass whilst still in the air that hit a Bulldog on the chest and bounced off before the player realised what was happening
-Ruggedness, slaps across the face against South Melbourne yet walking off with his arm around Bobby Skilton’s shoulders
-His last game missing a goal from close range and the crowd going aaahhh then kicking a mighty barrelling torpedo from a long way out for a goal and the crowd going aaahhh.

Bulldog4life
06-04-2016, 06:43 PM
http://australianfootball.com/clubs/bio/Western%20Bulldogs/14

This is not written by me but when I read BID's post about Teddy's white wrist bandages I remembered he played most of his career with a broken scaphoid bone.What more can you say.

My .... memories of EJ are of a brilliant footballer who would shake the ball in mid air after he had taken a mark. It was his way of saying "this is mine". It was an almost arrogant action and must have infuriated rivals. I also recall that he invariably wore a crisp white bandage on one wrist. I learned later that he played for much of his career with a broken scaphoid bone, the bane of many a footballer. Whitten had brilliant skills and the old clips of him in action reveal a footballer blessed with natural talent. He would win possession, shoot out a handpass, and then run to shepherd a team mate. His work rate was phenomenal in an era of mark and prop football.

Read more at the above link.

Smads57
06-04-2016, 07:16 PM
I also tried to avoid this thread but I can't, as Ted was my father's hero and therefore mine. I was at his last game against Hawthorn as a 14 year old standing in the wet and just remembering how HE inspired that great win. He was Footscray.

bornadog
06-04-2016, 11:01 PM
I also tried to avoid this thread but I can't, as Ted was my father's hero and therefore mine. I was at his last game against Hawthorn as a 14 year old standing in the wet and just remembering how HE inspired that great win. He was Footscray.

I was standing right near you, or somewhere there getting drenched.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2016, 11:53 PM
What I find interesting is say a comparison to Chris Grant. Talented, could play any spot, could've won a Brownlow on talent, finished as games record holder, stayed for less money, played with a serious injury and was always club first. Everyone loves Turtle. But everyone here, and my older extended family members too, adore EJ like a god. It's been great to hear the personal stories of him as the man, the embodiment of the good of a town. Appreciate the stories.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2016, 02:47 AM
These memories are really important, because not much vision recorded of the man, owing to the era. Enjoyable reading.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7nlj7Spl4

Bulldog4life
07-04-2016, 10:06 AM
What I find interesting is say a comparison to Chris Grant. Talented, could play any spot, could've won a Brownlow on talent, finished as games record holder, stayed for less money, played with a serious injury and was always club first. Everyone loves Turtle. But everyone here, and my older extended family members too, adore EJ like a god. It's been great to hear the personal stories of him as the man, the embodiment of the good of a town. Appreciate the stories.

And Teddy was "a lot more aggressive " than Chris. Chris was a mighty player for the Club but Ted was at another level. An enforcer who played brilliant footy in any position on the ground.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Some good vision here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogQ5oFhddY&nohtml5=False

BornInDroopSt'54
07-04-2016, 11:19 AM
This Sunday is for you Ted and you Tim.

Eastdog
09-04-2016, 11:46 PM
Great videos BAD. Watched them quite a few times before. Teddy would have certainly kept them honest in todays environment if he was here. He would be a great guy to have a beer with a chat all thing footy and Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
10-04-2016, 01:27 AM
The path of the righteous dogs player is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of opposing men. Blessed is Bob, who in the name of captaincy and good skill, shepherds the the Men of Mayhem through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the rebounder of loose football. And our dogs will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy Bob's brothers. And you will know our name is the Dogs when Bob's men lay vengeance upon thee.

Haha. I like it!

LostDoggy
15-04-2016, 12:56 AM
I have a book called "Tribute to Ted Whitten"

A lot that has been mentioned in this thread also appears in that book.

I can't remember it being mentioned in this thread, but he received a pack of spuds as his match payment in his very first senior game.

Twodogs
24-11-2019, 11:12 PM
I came across this thread today and noticed it was from 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
The path of the righteous dogs player is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of opposing men. Blessed is Bob, who in the name of captaincy and good skill, shepherds the the Men of Mayhem through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the rebounder of loose football. And our dogs will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy Bob's brothers. And you will know our name is the Dogs when Bob's men lay vengeance upon thee.

Did you think the premiership cup would land less than six months later?

bulldogtragic
24-11-2019, 11:27 PM
I came across this thread today and noticed it was from 2016.

Did you think the premiership cup would land less than six months later?

Oh, for sure. I was sitting in line at Ticket Master in mid April 2016 for my GF ticket.

merantau
25-11-2019, 07:47 AM
I just watched these clips again. They brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. How to explain the tears rolling down my cheeks after all these years? Not hard - Teddy Whitten. He was a huge part of our lives. He gave us so much. He was part of us. He was our hero. He out shone all others, he was centre stage. But he never forgot his roots and never put on airs and graces. He was the greatest player and a truly great man.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-11-2019, 01:04 PM
I just watched these clips again. They brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. How to explain the tears rolling down my cheeks after all these years? Not hard - Teddy Whitten. He was a huge part of our lives. He gave us so much. He was part of us. He was our hero. He out shone all others, he was centre stage. But he never forgot his roots and never put on airs and graces. He was the greatest player and a truly great man.

Ted was a hero to us boys as we were, a true champion who took responsibility for each game, the team, the club, the sport and the community. He had a larger than life passion and skill to match.

ledge
25-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Watching those high top of the finger marks reminds me of Doug Hawkins taking similar ones, definitely someone Doug copied in that regard.

westbulldog
26-11-2019, 12:46 AM

Ted Whitten was the soul and inspiration of people in the western suburbs. Resilient people but compassionate people. If my memory serves me correct I remember one day at Footscray where he was seriously poleaxed by John Kennedy snr. Minutes later he kicked a 60+m torp through the Barkly street goals. Ted Whitten was Footscray, he never went anywhere else and was aptly Mr Football.

ledge
26-11-2019, 09:43 AM
Ted Whitten was the soul and inspiration of people in the western suburbs. Resilient people but compassionate people. If my memory serves me correct I remember one day at Footscray where he was seriously poleaxed by John Kennedy snr. Minutes later he kicked a 60+m torp through the Barkly street goals. Ted Whitten was Footscray, he never went anywhere else and was aptly Mr Football.

Well he tried to go to North when we made him retire but they told him he had to start in the reserves , he told them that was never happening , also could have been at the pies they had a first look at him but didn’t think he was good enough.

Twodogs
26-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Well he tried to go to North when we made him retire but they told him he had to start in the reserves , he told them that was never happening , also could have been at the pies they had a first look at him but didn’t think he was good enough.

EJ Whitten does not and has not ever played reserves grade football and he is not about to start now. Good luck to yers was the exact quote.

He almost went to Richmond at the end of 1966 too;

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2012-12-31/when-whitten-wanted-to-join-richmond

Twodogs
27-11-2019, 12:10 PM
EJ Whitten does not and has not ever played reserves grade football and he is not about to start now. Good luck to yers was the exact quote.

He almost went to Richmond at the end of 1966 too;

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2012-12-31/when-whitten-wanted-to-join-richmond

I've been thinking about Teddy going to Richmond. I didn't know until I found it yesterday on Google.

Could you imagine the pain if Teddy had gone to Richmond? Would it have diminished him in ther eyes of us supporters? Personally I couldn't think of a bigger betrayal.

strebla
27-11-2019, 07:53 PM
I never heard this before either I couldn't even begin to imagine. I remember watching The Hawk play for Fitzroy it was heartbreaking but he still had his tricks and I never hated him for it but gee it was hard to watch.

Axe Man
28-01-2022, 02:18 PM
Came across this on Facebook:

https://i.postimg.cc/FKC8fpkZ/TED.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3ypnVgB4)
A Colourised Photo of Ted Whitten taking a Screamer against North Melbourne at Arden Street in 1960. (Source Peter Vasic - Past Colours)

GVGjr
28-01-2022, 02:32 PM
Great mark, he was a genuine star.
How awesome does the jumper look?
Even Norths looks better than now

Thanks for posting Axe

Eastdog
28-01-2022, 02:40 PM
Great photo of the great EJ!

bornadog
28-01-2022, 02:51 PM
Great mark, he was a genuine star.
How awesome does the jumper look?
Even Norths looks better than now

Thanks for posting Axe

Jumper is the best one we have had. Current one - red stripe and white stripe are too low and not wide enough.

Red stripe should be under arm pit as in the Teddy photo. Agree on North as well - much better jumper.

Avoid the rush
28-01-2022, 03:31 PM
I thought you might like this ode I wrote to the great man a couple of years ago

TED
I never will forget it,
It’s etched inside my head,
It was at the Melbourne Cricket Ground
The first time I saw TED.
All the players looked identical
In their white, blue and red,
But one stood out like Superman—
This man that they called TED.
Afterwards, when we came home,
I’d take speckies on my bed
And pretend I wore the number 3
Just like my hero TED.
He’d shake hands with his opponent
Then he’d smack him in the head,
Then he’d drive him to the hospital
This champion bloke named TED.
He’d flash his famous ‘flick pass’,
‘It’s illegal!’ they all said.
So they changed the rules and banned it,
But that didn’t worry TED.
He still dominated matches.
Men followed as he led.
They called him ‘Mr Football’.
He was a beauty, TED!
He made the ‘Vics’ a power
That others used to dread.
He was bigger than the game he played
You ‘stuck it up ’em’, TED!
I remember when I read the news
The great E.J. was dead,
I could not make myself believe,
That you were human, TED.
Now I’ve grown old and he is gone
And there’s no-one in his stead,
’Cause there’s none that can replace him
The legend that was TED.

EasternWest
28-01-2022, 06:24 PM
I thought you might like this ode I wrote to the great man a couple of years ago

TED
I never will forget it,
Just like my hero TED.
Men followed as he led.
He was a beauty, TED!
The great E.J. was dead,
The legend that was TED.

You were right.

GVGjr
28-01-2022, 06:28 PM

TED
I never will forget it,
Just like my hero TED.
Men followed as he led.
He was a beauty, TED!
The great E.J. was dead,
The legend that was TED.

Thanks for posting, you don't post a lot but it's great when you do.

Avoid the rush
29-01-2022, 08:52 PM
Thanks for posting, you don't post a lot but it's great when you do.
Thank you. I really meant every word when I wrote this. E J was the reason we used to go to the footy.

Eastdog
29-01-2022, 10:30 PM
Good stuff Avoid the rush. I would have loved to have met Ted.

Bulldog4life
30-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Good stuff Avoid the rush. I would have loved to have met Ted.

You'd have a very weakened right hand if you did Easty.

jazzadogs
30-01-2022, 01:18 PM
I just read on Facebook that the demolition of the Whitten Stand is starting next week - has anyone heard about whether the old seats will be available for purchase? Would be a cool memento.

merantau
30-01-2022, 01:19 PM
Your tribute to EJ was spot on. He was a giant and the accolade, "Mr Football" was perfect because not only was he the best player in the comp, he dominated the football world although our Club only played in 4? Finals campaigns during his 20 year career.

I leant to read well because I wanted to follow EJ and the Bulldogs in the Herald and the Sporting Globe on Saturdays after the game.

Had the pleasure of meeting him in 1960 when I was 11. He had a Driving School and took my brother to get his licence. After the test he came back to our place, came in and had a cup of tea. Treasured memory for me as he was my childhood hero.

Other club's might have had a lot more success . But we had Ted and they didn't and that sustained me during some very lean years from 1962 to 1970. Great player.

Jam Donuts
03-02-2022, 03:34 PM
Good thread BT.

I've mentioned on here before how my grandparents revered Ted Whitten but perhaps a few snippets might add to the thread.

My Nan would only buy her fruit and veges and groceries from the store that a young Ted worked at and I think only on the days she knew he would be there. She would grab her jeep and stroll to the shop frequently stopping along the way to talk to people because most people weren't inside there homes watching the TV or on the phone etc they were in their gardens either picking their fruit trees or looking after their almost manicured lawns. A 15 minute walk to the shop would probably take Nan closer to 30 minutes because she was such a friendly and engaging person she would have to stop and say hello. During the footy season the conversations were often about Footscray and I'm led to believe Ted.

Once she eventually got to the shop she was greeted with a loud "Hello Mum" from the larger than life Ted "What can I get you today?" A quick chat about the footy would follow as Ted carefully filled her jeep with the chosen goods. The trip home probably took her even longer as she now could tell people that Ted helped her fill the jeep.

My Nan was a very tolerant lady and accepted peoples differing views but not when it came to opinions on Ted Whitten. He was the one and only from her point of view and could do no wrong.

My Grandfather wasn't anywhere near as tolerant as Nan. Most footy conversations with Bob would somehow lead into how good Whitten was. My favourite player was Bernie Quinlan and to be honest Bob never rated him that highly and I think he had some question marks on the level of courage Bernie displayed. Bob got it wrong but I could have never said that to him.
Whenever I mentioned how good I thought Bernie was Bob would quickly counter with how much better Ted was. You listened and nodded the head because to challenge it was an argument you would never win.

My memories of seeing Ted the player are somewhat limited but the memories of the conversations I had with so many people over the years about his abilities on the field will live with me forever.

I've read a lot of article and even found some books where Ted shared his views on how positions should be played and there is no doubt he was a modern day attacking player and brutally loyal to his team mates.

From everything I have gathered in a lifetime of listening to things about Ted Whitten and reading anything I could get my hands on about him I'd have to say the one word to describe him was "visionary"

He was ahead of his time on the playing field, he was one of the first to because a sports entertainer and his ability to unite the AFL community behind the Big V was remarkable. So many AFL people regard Ted as one of the best ever footballers but on top of that I think he was also a remarkable person off the field. Ted led and people followed. He was simply the centre of attention.

I don't think that Bob got it wrong at all, he certainly was not on his own with that thinking about Bernie, i was so happy to watch his career blossom after he left us and he exacted his full potential. However, I have heard a lot of old timers mention the same thing as your Bob.

GVGjr
03-02-2022, 09:02 PM
I don't think that Bob got it wrong at all, he certainly was not on his own with that thinking about Bernie, i was so happy to watch his career blossom after he left us and he exacted his full potential. However, I have heard a lot of old timers mention the same thing as your Bob.

It's been nearly 6 years since I posted that and to be honest I had forgotten that I had.

Now I'm going to defend Bernie with another story that I have posted on here previously.
I was at the Whitten Oval for a game against Richmond when former Bulldogs player Robert 'Bones' McGhie was lining up for them.
Despite his wiry look Bones was a renowned hard man and not one to shirk a physical contest.

I was standing about 10 meters back from the fence when a ball was punted somewhere between the wing and half forward, Bernie sprinted forward to get the ball and so did McGhie. They went full tilt at it for about 30mtrs and when they looked up they both realised they were on a collision course. I can still see it as plain as day.
They both tucked in their shoulders before the inevitable clash and I could hear the bones crunching from at least 25mtrs away.
They both then got up and contested the ball again.
It was either a sign of a smart arse in the making, hero worshiping Quinlan or a spur of the moment thing when I could get one back at my grand father but I summoned the courage and blurted out something like "And you said he wasn't tough?" I still think the resulting lecture and then silent treatment at my petulant display was worth it but I paid a heavy price for it from then on.

Given Bob knew Ted well we were occasionally allowed into the rooms after games a few times and when Ted was there he would greet my grandfather and ask me who my favourite player was. As soon as I said anyones name he would yell at them and motion for them to come over and meet me.

Ted was larger than life and oh yeah, I still think Bernie was no squib.

Bulldog4life
04-02-2022, 11:21 AM
It's been nearly 6 years since I posted that and to be honest I had forgotten that I had.

Now I'm going to defend Bernie with another story that I have posted on here previously.
I was at the Whitten Oval for a game against Richmond when former Bulldogs player Robert 'Bones' McGhie was lining up for them.
Despite his wiry look Bones was a renowned hard man and not one to shirk a physical contest.

I was standing about 10 meters back from the fence when a ball was punted somewhere between the wing and half forward, Bernie sprinted forward to get the ball and so did McGhie. They went full tilt at it for about 30mtrs and when they looked up they both realised they were on a collision course. I can still see it as plain as day.
They both tucked in their shoulders before the inevitable clash and I could hear the bones crunching from at least 25mtrs away.
They both then got up and contested the ball again.
It was either a sign of a smart arse in the making, hero worshiping Quinlan or a spur of the moment thing when I could get one back at my grand father but I summoned the courage and blurted out something like "And you said he wasn't tough?" I still think the resulting lecture and then silent treatment at my petulant display was worth it but I paid a heavy price for it from then on.

Given Bob knew Ted well we were occasionally allowed into the rooms after games a few times and when Ted was there he would greet my grandfather and ask me who my favourite player was. As soon as I said anyones name he would yell at them and motion for them to come over and meet me.

Ted was larger than life and oh yeah, I still think Bernie was no squib.

I agree G. A lot in the outer thought he was but if you look closely at his career...games played and goals kicked....he was no squib. As for the amount of goals kicked he was huge considering he played a number of games with us at CHB. When I lived in Victoria I met him a few times at the Flinders pub. Still very humble, likeable and down to earth.

Axe Man
04-02-2022, 11:38 AM
I agree G. A lot in the outer thought he was but if you look closely at his career...games played and goals kicked....he was no squib. As for the amount of goals kicked he was huge considering he played a number of games with us at CHB. When I lived in Victoria I met him a few times at the Flinders pub. Still very humble, likeable and down to earth.

I chatted to Bernie at a pub in Sorento I think it was whilst I was on a footy trip. Even though I was likely completely incoherent he was friendly.

Twodogs
04-02-2022, 12:28 PM
As well as being a great player Bernie is also my favourite ever commentater/special comments guy. As well as being spot on with his observations he'd basically barrack for us from the box in a way that nobody else did.

merantau
04-02-2022, 12:50 PM
If you never saw Bernie play ...

https://youtu.be/VPZnIIGK9xg

And here:

https://youtu.be/ADH9-rXw_hk

Grantysghost
04-02-2022, 01:08 PM
Why did he leave the dogs? I saw him play at the Junction oval, Princes Park etc for the Roys but his dogs tenure was before my time.

bornadog
04-02-2022, 01:38 PM
Why did he leave the dogs? I saw him play at the Junction oval, Princes Park etc for the Roys but his dogs tenure was before my time.

We needed the cash and sold him off. Those days you got a transfer fee.

GVGjr
04-02-2022, 01:57 PM

Could you imagine him playing now at CHB at Marvel? Those 70mtr kicks would transform the game.

merantau
04-02-2022, 02:54 PM

It was an absolute tragedy that we lost him. I think he would rank in most pundits "Best 22 of the Last Fifty Years."

EasternWest
04-02-2022, 09:58 PM
I chatted to Bernie at a pub in Sorento I think it was whilst I was on a footy trip. Even though I was likely completely incoherent he was friendly.

Imagine what it would have been like if you'd been drinking?

Bulldog4life
05-02-2022, 10:07 AM

That happened to many of our quality players. So glad it doesn't happen now;)

jeemak
05-02-2022, 10:12 AM

Bernie - "can someone please get this crackpot a beer?"

Axe Man
07-02-2022, 10:14 AM

If i hadn't been drinking I wouldn't have spoken to him in the first place!

Luke Dahlhaus was at a pub I was at recently, I had consumed a couple but not nearly enough to say anything to him.

bornadog
07-02-2022, 10:32 AM
If i hadn't been drinking I wouldn't have spoken to him in the first place!

Luke Dahlhaus was at a pub I was at recently, I had consumed a couple but not nearly enough to say anything to him.

Generally I don't say anything, as they have their private time which I don't want to disturb. Can understand in a pub if you bump into them at the bar.