PDA

View Full Version : Bevo v Barrett

Mantis
05-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Who caught FC last night?

Bevo was on a whilst it started as a 'Pump up the Bulldogs' show things got heated when the discussions turned to 'Talia-gate'.

Bevo and Barrett had a slanging match which lasted a couple of minutes regarding what was said to one another and where it was said.. Whilst Barrett is a slimy piece of shit I didn't think Bevo needed to get drawn into the discussions for as long as he did.. But it's obvious the whole subject is still un-resolved in Bevo's mind.

What did everyone else think?

chef
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM
I thought it was horrible. I was excited to watch some positive stuff about us, but the dragon and that 4 eyed moron quickly got the interview into the gutter(where yhe rest of the show sits).

Bevo walked into an ambush and walked out dragging two bodies. Love him.

Ozza
05-04-2016, 09:38 AM
I didn't mind seeing Bevo dig the heels in, and without saying it specifically, make it quite clear what he thought of the AFL verdict on Talia-gate. I also liked how he said to Barrett "It's nothing to do with you" (as to why he wouldn't give Barrett a quote at the time).

For those who didn't see it - Bevo had said 'If a reporter wants to speak to me, they go through (media manager name)". Barrett made a comment about how he speaks to coaches all the time, to which Bevo responded "Well I roll a bit differently mate".

He also reiterated his thoughts about the Essendon saga. I'm sure plenty on here will be annoyed by Bevo's view. Regardless of what you think about his opinion - it was at the very least, good tv that he didn't sit on the fence about it.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2016, 10:12 AM
At some point after Tahyleea occurred I had a chat to Bevo about this (I'm being deliberately vague). I back him 100000%. I didn't see it but if he felt the need to dig in I support him 1000000%. It's not ideal that the piece of excrement took the interview there, but Bevo hasn't done anything wrong. I'd simply just block Barrett off out media list. The stitch up on Libba last year, plus one a month, plus this. Don't talk to him, he can't slag us anymore as a result.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Haven't watched it yet but taped it. Will be interesting viewing.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Yes the Libba stitch up last year was pure spite

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks for this, I'll watch it.

craigsahibee
05-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Just watched it on ninemsn.

Dave Culbert? Really! Good work Caro.

Love the way Bevo defended our club against Barrett without saying anything. Watching that interview has enhanced my desire to never entertain even the thought of watching or reading anything that Barrett is involved in.

SonofScray
05-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Had a look. You could see he was not pleased with them going there and trying to ambush him, the way they brought up the Talia stuff was so tentative and limp wristed it was clear they pulled a dodgy on him. Glad he had none of it and played a straight bat, calling out the lack of professionalism.

Re: EFC stuff, I can understand his logic but it is slightly askew.

Ozza
05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
I like that he mentioned that the 'person he feels for in all of this, is Kyle Cheney' - which to me makes it clear that Bevo still believes Talia clearly did the wrong thing, and that Cheney has ended up under the bus for everyone.

Sedat
05-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Who caught FC last night?

Bevo was on a whilst it started as a 'Pump up the Bulldogs' show things got heated when the discussions turned to 'Talia-gate'.

Bevo and Barrett had a slanging match which lasted a couple of minutes regarding what was said to one another and where it was said.. Whilst Barrett is a slimy piece of shit I didn't think Bevo needed to get drawn into the discussions for as long as he did.. But it's obvious the whole subject is still un-resolved in Bevo's mind.

What did everyone else think?
It's a shame because Bevo didn't quite get the chance to articulate his position on Talia-gate (he was trying to but Caro side-tracked him to a conversation that was had with Barrett after the final last year) and was then unwittingly drawn into a slanging match with Barrett. As an aside, I don't mind our coach standing his ground at all on such issues and making sure the media are held accountable for their actions.

Whilst I disagree with his position on the EFC34, I thought he articulated his argument really well last night. But I have to say the AFL industry as a whole have been incredibly naïve on the PED issue (Bevo's stance is clearly well-intentioned, but only reinforced this naivety), which the EFC saga has now finally left everyone in no doubt as to ultimate player responsibility and the notion of 'trust but verify'. I still feel as though the EFC as an organisation continue to get a leave pass from the AFL community - it is just so convenient to go the rogue employee argument but the senior coach and CEO know absolutely everything that goes on at any club, and clearly both were in this program up to their eyeballs. And IMO without doubt the senior players had to be as well, so as to ensure the entire playing group was singing from the same hymn book - guys like Watson, McVitamins, Fletcher and Hille are also getting very generously treated by the media.

bornadog
05-04-2016, 12:04 PM
thanks to Al's Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEI_xmmIKg

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 12:07 PM
It's a shame because Bevo didn't quite get the chance to articulate his position on Talia-gate (he was trying to but Caro side-tracked him to a conversation that was had with Barrett after the final last year) and was then unwittingly drawn into a slanging match with Barrett. As an aside, I don't mind our coach standing his ground at all on such issues and making sure the media are held accountable for their actions.

Whilst I disagree with his position on the EFC34, I thought he articulated his argument really well last night. But I have to say the AFL industry as a whole have been incredibly naïve on the PED issue (Bevo's stance is clearly well-intentioned, but only reinforced this naivety), which the EFC saga has now finally left everyone in no doubt as to ultimate player responsibility and the notion of 'trust but verify'. I still feel as though the EFC as an organisation continue to get a leave pass from the AFL community - it is just so convenient to go the rogue employee argument but the senior coach and CEO know absolutely everything that goes on at any club, and clearly both were in this program up to their eyeballs. And IMO without doubt the senior players had to be as well, so as to ensure the entire playing group was singing from the same hymn book - guys like Watson, McVitamins, Fletcher and Hille are also getting very generously treated by the media.

Agreed. If Watson didn't once ask the question what was being put into his body and can [Dank] verify 100% that it was legal then he was unfit to be captain because he was failing in his duty of care to the other 33 players he represented.

The stakes for doping are so high that if I was getting injected by juice out of a clean skin I'd be going to an independent assessor and getting the all clear from there as well.

anfo27
05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah i watched it last night. The look on Bevo & Barretts face when Caro mentioned an argument at the Brownlow was priceless. Bevo couldn't believe Caro was bringing this up on tv and Barrett didn't look keen to talk about it either.

I was disappointed Bevo was ambushed with this stuff. We don't get much airtime ever, so to have Bevo on i was rapt to finally get them talking about us for an extended period. But the interview was highjacked by questions that had nothing to do with how we play footy.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Yeah i watched it last night. The look on Bevo & Barretts face when Caro mentioned an argument at the Brownlow was priceless. Bevo couldn't believe Caro was bringing this up on tv and Barrett didn't look keen to talk about it either.

I was disappointed Bevo was ambushed with this stuff. We don't get much airtime ever, so to have Bevo on i was rapt to finally get them talking about us for an extended period. But the interview was highjacked by questions that had nothing to do with how we play footy.

Yeah it was like ....awkward. Caro = no social skills or tact ever.

Ozza
05-04-2016, 12:32 PM

The show is not just about footy on the ground though - a lot of the show is aimed at the off field issues (boards, administrators etc) so it was hardly surprising that these type of issues would be brought up. Probably not that they had an argument at the brownlow - but certainly anything controversial that Beveridge has been involved in, was always going to be brought up.

chef
05-04-2016, 01:01 PM
The show is trashy, which isn't surprising when the guy who leads it used to hide in bins.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Barrett is good friends with Pickering, Talia'a manager. It shows.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 01:18 PM
This week in access all areas, hardly got a mention from Barrett. No wonder. Bias journo.

Funke disco
05-04-2016, 01:35 PM
The show was tabloid/ambulance chasing enough with Lyon, now that Lloyd is the only former player on the show it has tilted the scale too far towards gutter journalism. Just look at Lloyds face during the show....he didnt know where to hide

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEI_xmmIKg Link is here.

G-Mo77
05-04-2016, 01:48 PM
I think Bevo did a great job not jumping the table and punching that piece of trash in the nose.

Remi Moses
05-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Just typified the " Look at me" afl journos we have .
There's over a thousand looking for a scoop, and they'll stoop to the bottom of the barrel to find it.
Barrett typifies this, and he's a snotty nosed grub to be honest .
Side note. Has Talia's phone been found ? I guess it will all come out in the coverup.
I don't know what's worse the show, or Channel 9's appalling "look at me" reality television .

bornadog
05-04-2016, 03:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEI_xmmIKg Link is here.

Did you miss my post - see #12

bornadog
05-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Just typified the " Look at me" afl journos we have .
There's over a thousand looking for a scoop, and they'll stoop to the bottom of the barrel to find it.
Barrett typifies this, and he's a snotty nosed grub to be honest .
Side note. Has Talia's phone been found ? I guess it will all come out in the coverup.
I don't know what's worse the show, or Channel 9's appalling "look at me" reality television .

I don't watch anything on Ch9.

Bulldog4life
05-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I think Bevo did a great job not jumping the table and punching that piece of trash in the nose.

Thinking the same thing. I bet he would have loved to. I remember Bevo as a player. Never shirked it then either.

Rocket Science
05-04-2016, 04:52 PM
https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/717223220932382720

Scraggers
05-04-2016, 05:20 PM
I don't watch anything on Ch9.

WHAT ????? :eek: You don't watch Married At First Sight ????? :rolleyes:

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 05:30 PM
WHAT ????? :eek: You don't watch Married At First Sight ????? :rolleyes:

Fantastic television.

bornadog
05-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Very funny, love his work

ReLoad
05-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks to the posters who posted the video link.

Im of the opposite opinion to most above, The whole Talia thing is still unresolved according to Bevo, and as such its a journos job to really get to the bottom of it, which is why the questions need to be asked.
Its obvious that the truth never came out, its obvious people have lied therefore its worth pursuing as a story.

However, Barrett has a vested interest in it due to his close personal links with pickering. and the manner in which the questions were posted was nothing short of atrocious, Caro (who i like as a journo) did the most pathetic setup "So Bevo you had a discussion with Damian about this:" puuuuulease, gimme a break.

And them Barrett comes out with some he said, she said stuff. Bevo handled it well, and was blindsided (which he should not have been) as we should have prepared better in that for sure they would have asked about it.

Incidentally, Bevo's take on EFC is interesting, and i agree that the players didn't try to cheat, however their actions meant they did, so i disagree with him on that point.

Cyberdoggie
05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
I thought it was a bit of a non event to be honest. Just Bevo having a bit of a go back at Barrett as he obviously didn't like the way it came out and perhaps the biased view but I've seen far more awkward from coaches like Malthouse on that show.

I think I've totally switched off this show in the last year. It's so formulated with it's segments and reviews. You know that whatever team has a bad week is going to cop criticism like they are too old, this is a real problem for them, dire predictions, look at this vision of joe blow with his hands on his hips, here's some stats over the last month that reveal a shocking trend, etc etc. Then there is the opposite for a team that wins big.

It's like listening to fox fm, you just hear the same bs repeated every time you tune in.

There is never any voice of reason or understanding both angles, they are either completely on one side or the other to try and force an argument or point before the buzzer beeps and then they do the same for the next topic.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Caroline Wilson obviously doing it hard with the cut-backs at TheAge. Luckily her Grandmother still has some shirts she can borrow.

AndrewP6
05-04-2016, 07:38 PM
At some point after Tahyleea occurred I had a chat to Bevo about this (I'm being deliberately vague). I back him 100000%. I didn't see it but if he felt the need to dig in I support him 1000000%. It's not ideal that the piece of excrement took the interview there, but Bevo hasn't done anything wrong. I'd simply just block Barrett off out media list. The stitch up on Libba last year, plus one a month, plus this. Don't talk to him, he can't slag us anymore as a result.

Yes he can, he will just make it up.

AndrewP6
05-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Reading lots of opinion on the interwebs today, I watched it. To be honest, I was very underwhelmed, was expecting a massive blow up. Good on Bevo for shutting Barrett down with the "Talk to Denis Bicer" line, but as for the rest, I don't think it was that big a deal. As for his stance on the EFC saga, I didn't agree. I'm very firmly of the view that you take the rap for whatever is in your system. Yes, the club let them down, but for mine it comes back to their sheep-like blindly following orders.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 07:58 PM

The media manager looks a bit worried...

Go_Dogs
05-04-2016, 08:03 PM
I thought it was a bit of a non event to be honest.

This was my reaction, too.

Not a lot in it, not surprising it went there and as always, Luke handled himself in an assured manner and played a straight bat.

GVGjr
05-04-2016, 08:06 PM
I recorded it last night and watched it this morning. I didn't really see a lot in the confrontation but it's clear Bevo doesn't rate Barrett.

I thought Bevo could have handled it a bit better but it was pretty tame from my perspective.

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 10:15 PM
I would have loved to hear what was said during the commercial breaks.

The Doctor
05-04-2016, 10:22 PM
it's clear Bevo doesn't rate Barrett.

I thought Bevo could have handled it a bit better but it was pretty tame from my perspective.

Nobody rates Barrett

Bevo was superb. I think Caro deserves a serve for leading the discussion the way it went. Yet if Bevo went for her all hell would break loose. He was clearly being led into a bust up and played it as diplomatically as one could under the circumstances and took aim at Barrett. If I were Barrett I'd make a dash for the fire escape next time Bevo appeared in the hallway.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Nobody rates Barrett

Bevo was superb. I think Caro deserves a serve for leading the discussion the way it went. Yet if Bevo went for her all hell would break loose. He was clearly being led into a bust up and played it as diplomatically as one could under the circumstances and took aim at Barrett. If I were Barrett I'd make a dash for the fire escape next time Bevo appeared in the hallway.

And Caro gets the chocolates from her colleagues for asking the high risk, testy questions no one wants to ask. Barrett shit himself when the question came out. Barrett is a nobody. Bevo is a tactical genius, a past player of the club, he skateboards, has big guns and will be only our second premiership coach. He has everything going for him, who cares about Parrot?

F'scary
05-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I loved the way Bevo told Barrett to his face that he was mistaken in thinking he has some right to phone Beveridge when he feels like it.

1eyedog
05-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I would have loved to hear what was said during the commercial breaks.

Bevo doing his best Ivan Drago? "I must break you!?"

bornadog
05-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Caroline Wilson obviously doing it hard with the cut-backs at TheAge. Luckily her Grandmother still has some shirts she can borrow.
I don't understand why you made this comment

Twodogs
05-04-2016, 11:52 PM
I loved the way Bevo told Barrett to his face that he was mistaken in thinking he has some right to phone Beveridge when he feels like it.

That was pretty funny. The most annoying thing Bevo could have done right then was lecture Barrett about Western Bulldogs media contact hierarchy. So he did.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 12:18 AM
I don't understand why you made this comment

Her fashion sense is more of an assault than anything Barrett can muster.

Remi Moses
06-04-2016, 03:20 AM

That's what I gleaned as well. Surely the grub would need to call other people to get to a coach .

Bulldog4life
06-04-2016, 08:52 AM
And Caro gets the chocolates from her colleagues for asking the high risk, testy questions no one wants to ask. Barrett shit himself when the question came out. Barrett is a nobody. Bevo is a tactical genius, a past player of the club, he skateboards, has big guns and will be only our second premiership coach. He has everything going for him, who cares about Parrot?

Agree 100% 1eyedog. And he surfs too.:)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-04-2016, 09:09 AM
I had a look at the youtube link last night. Clearly the producers thought it would make for great TV to introduce some tension into the discussion by putting Bevo on the spot. Given the circumstance I think he did ok. He straight batted Caro's baiting..although you could see by his expression he clearly wanted to give her a serve. He was less successful in ignoring Barrett's baiting.However, clearly Bevo has some real simmering anger towards him over this issue, that when prodded on he was unable to resist.

All in all though it's a pretty poor standard of show if it relies on surprising their guests with questions they are unprepared for.

hujsh
06-04-2016, 11:20 AM

Agree with BAD that it's unnecessary.

Also it's a footy forum, not a fashion forum, so lets stick to the Footy Journalism aspect if criticising a journo

Happy Days
06-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Also it's a footy forum, not a fashion forum, so lets stick to the Footy Journalism aspect if criticising a journo

"You can't criticise her without being sexist!"*

*immediately critiques on sexist pretences

Bulldog4life
06-04-2016, 11:58 AM

I thought GD was being tongue in cheek.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks BD4L, clearly I need to stick it out a bit more so people can see it!;)

hujsh
06-04-2016, 01:32 PM

I get it's a joke and meant to be funny but (and maybe this was influence by his previous comments about CW) I feel there's more to it then that.

bornadog
06-04-2016, 02:03 PM
I get it's a joke and meant to be funny but (and maybe this was influence by his previous comments about CW) I feel there's more to it then that.
Funny how no one critics what men are wearing

Twodogs
06-04-2016, 02:29 PM

I do, but that's me.

The Pie Man
06-04-2016, 02:35 PM
I do, but that's me.

I keep noticing the weird pocket square folds on men's jackets these days - but again, that's probably just me

The Pie Man
06-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Noticed Bevo look down and raise his eyebrows when Caro confronted him about our former CHB's 'exit interview' treatment. Was trying to read if it was a 'yeah in hindsight it was harsh' or 'well Caro, if you only knew what we know'

Suspect it's the latter given his Cheney comments.

Liked how he returned to good humor towards the end - thought he handled it pretty well, but wouldn't be surprised if he gave them a spray on exit

chef
06-04-2016, 02:43 PM

Man buns, sleeves, shovel beards etc have chopped a beating on here.

Did you see Andy Carrols man-braide?

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately Gary Lyon's pink shirts are on extended leave.

Cyberdoggie
06-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Liked how he returned to good humor towards the end - thought he handled it pretty well, but wouldn't be surprised if he gave them a spray on exit

I think he probably just would of got up and left.

I did notice at the very end when they said thanks for coming on. He said, "thanks lloydy, thanks Craig and thanks Caro". Pretty sure there was one missing.

KT31
06-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Every weekend I criticise men who wear green.;)

Scraggers
06-04-2016, 03:51 PM

I'm not a fan of men who wear loafers. I think it's lazy they won't do a shoe lace up and are causing a degenerative flow of laziness throughout society ... but maybe that's just me.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-04-2016, 05:21 PM
What's a shovel beard?

chef
06-04-2016, 06:02 PM
What's a shovel beard?

The long trimmed beards that hipsters have.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Other than her being a lousy journo, and wearing some interesting fashion no more to it than that. Barrett, marginally worse.
The way Bevo was set up highlights the standard of the show, and Caroline represents that standard perfectly. Not high.
Big mistake picking on Luke B. Can't they see the veins bulging in his neck!

Smads57
06-04-2016, 07:04 PM
For my part I was just annoyed that Bevo had to sit on the panel with this group (outside of Lloyd).

Ghost Dog
07-04-2016, 09:15 AM

Because Robbo can disguise his lack of fashion sense by wearing the same suit three days in a row. I know as I often do the same.

Twodogs
07-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Because Robbo can disguise his lack of fashion sense by wearing the same suit three days in a row. I know as I often do the same.

That's not a lack of fashion sense. That's just getting plastered and falling asleep in your clothes!

angelopetraglia
07-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Barrett has made an already bad show exponentially worse. They have the mix of panel members completely wrong. Could not believe the line of questioning after what the Dogs have delivered in the first two weeks.

bornadog
07-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Barrett has made an already bad show exponentially worse. They have the mix of panel members completely wrong. Could not believe the line of questioning after what the Dogs have delivered in the first two weeks.

Rohan Connelly said the same thing yesterday on SEN. They spent 10% on the current Footy and the rest dragging up old stuff.

Mantis
07-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Would you expect anything different from a bottom feeder like Barrett?

Twodogs
07-04-2016, 04:33 PM
And any chance of getting some actual footballers on the show? They have Lloyd and three drongos. I'd be better off listening to that bloke at the pub who reckons he played VFL footy back in the day in order to cadge beers off of gullible people.

Scraggers
07-04-2016, 05:24 PM
And any chance of getting some actual footballers on the show? They have Lloyd and three drongos. I'd be better off listening to that bloke at the pub who reckons he played VFL footy back in the day in order to cadge beers off of gullible people.

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge I'm willing to sell you ...