PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4 2016 vs Carlton

Eastdog
06-04-2016, 04:50 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 4 match against Carlton at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 07:02 PM
In: Wood
Out: Bob

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Dunkley is better than Jong.

Would consider Campbell so Boyd remains at FF.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Dunkley is better than Jong.

Would consider Campbell so Boyd remains at FF.

Yep, should gone here too. When Boyd is rucking bombing on Stringers head isn't any good.

The Doctor
10-04-2016, 07:25 PM
I think Jong is too polite.

did some good things today at time but didn't hurt them enough

azabob
10-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Does Adcock come into the thinking yet?

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Does Adcock come into the thinking yet?

Has to be in the mix.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Boyd is another I'd drop. His ball use is horrendous under pressure in big games and I'd like to see us develop a player like Webb in the same role, or perhaps keep Hamling/bring in Wood.

Mantis
10-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Don't think we will rush Wood given his history .

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
TBB, Matt Boyd?

azabob
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Boyd is another I'd drop. His ball use is horrendous under pressure in big games and I'd like to see us develop a player like Webb in the same role, or perhaps keep Hamling/bring in Wood.

I forgot about Webb.

I actually liked Hamlings game and would like him to stay in.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Out - Murph
In - Wood

No need to make significant changes. Thought Jong was just OK but happy to persist with him for a few weeks.

Hamling did OK too and I think our structure looks a little better with him in.

FrediKanoute
10-04-2016, 08:13 PM
I think if Wood is fit he comes in for Murphy...but only if fit.
I think Jong could make way for a Hrovat/Honeychurch - but again depends how they went at Footscray
Some merit in the talk of another key forward - Campbell/Redpath - Stringer was well held today.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2016, 08:28 PM
TBB, Matt Boyd?

Yep.

Probably stays in by default if Murphy and Wood miss, but I really don't think he should be in our best 22 from both a short and long term perspective.

Dry Rot
10-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Yep.

Probably stays in by default if Murphy and Wood miss, but I really don't think he should be in our best 22 from both a short and long term perspective.

What's Adcock like as a defender?

Hotdog60
10-04-2016, 08:35 PM
A lot like Boyd.

Dry Rot
10-04-2016, 08:40 PM
A lot like Boyd.

With all the bad bits?

Dry Rot
10-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Insiders on BF reckon that Murphy has had it, so do we bring in Webb now for the longer term?

Hotdog60
10-04-2016, 08:43 PM
With all the bad bits?

:) maybe better disposal but it would be same for same.

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 08:58 PM

He has played there a bit. I'd probably prefer him as a forward

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Insiders on BF reckon that Murphy has had it, so do we bring in Webb now for the longer term?

Yep. Games into Webb and Dale are a priority.

FrediKanoute
10-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Yes. In my mind if Bob is done then Webb needs to play.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Saw Wood at our VFL game today at least he wasn't limping. Webb went off injured but came back on.

Mantis
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Yes. In my mind if Bob is done then Webb needs to play.

Does the fact that Webb is playing as a midfielder in the VFL have an effect on him replacing Bob?

always right
10-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Can see a few changes next week on the back of a pretty gruelling game. Would also help guard go against us being flat against the blues.

Wood out fir another week as a precaution. With Murph out we can't take the risk of also losing Wood for an extended period.

Campbell or Redpath may be brought in to provide some options.

stefoid
11-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Don't think we will rush Wood given his history .

agreed. Let hamling play v carlton. Right now our defensive depth is fine, but we have to plan for a future without Murph, Boyd and Morris. The future starts today.

Rocket Science
11-04-2016, 12:42 AM
When Wood returns, Hamling seems the most logical choice to try to fill the back half void left by the skipper.

But does Murph's absence mean we also look to expedite Cordy's development by way of senior game time? Beveridge hasn't proven averse to giving meritable kids a good long look.

comrade
11-04-2016, 01:36 AM
When Wood returns, Hamling seems the most logical choice to try to fill the back half void left by the skipper.

But does Murph's absence mean we also look to expedite Cordy's development by way of senior game time? Beveridge hasn't proven averse to giving meritable kids a good long look.

Cordy is more of a defend first type, perfect long term replacement for Morris (though he will be damn hard to replace).

IMO, we have 2 kids that will fight it out to take on Murphy's role over the coming years: Williams & Lynch. Saw them up close and both have tricks. Obviously, neither quite have the dazzling footwork of Bobby but the foot skills look solid. Lynch in particular has something about him, a swagger, devil may care type of attitude that will be useful if harnessed correctly. Can also kick off both left and right with equal skill.

Ultimately, I now see our back 6 this year:

Biggs Adams Morris
JJ Wood Boyd

The likes of Suckling, Stevens, Picken etc will rotate through. I'm also not convinced that Matty Boyd makes it through the season as a best 22 lock, but he's proven me wrong before.

Hamling to take Wood's spot for now.

Remi Moses
11-04-2016, 02:41 AM
In Wood ( if fit)
Out bob

always right
11-04-2016, 10:29 AM
With the emotional letdown of the loss and Murph's injury, this week's game against the lowly rated blues has a different look about it. Most will have us marked down as certainties but the way we respond to this week's events will tell us a lot about our team and how far they have come.

Wouldn't surprise to see Beveridge refresh the team with several changes just to keep the energy levels high.

1eyedog
11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I think if Wood is fit he comes in for Murphy...but only if fit.
I think Jong could make way for a Hrovat/Honeychurch - but again depends how they went at Footscray
Some merit in the talk of another key forward - Campbell/Redpath - Stringer was well held today.

Hrovat is unavailable due to injury for many weeks.

I don't think we need more than one change and that would be;

Out: Bob
In: Webb or Adcock

1eyedog
11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Does the fact that Webb is playing as a midfielder in the VFL have an effect on him replacing Bob?

Why would it? Most of Webb's work at senior level has been off the half back flank.

Ghost Dog
11-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Zaine Cordy, where is he at.

Ozza
11-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Outs: Murphy (inj.) Jong
In: Wood (if fit, otherwise Webb or Prudden), Dale.

I think Dale is a better option than Jong. We need to improve our conversion. Dale knows where the goals are, and kicks the ball beautifully. Is in good form and we should tap into that.

If Woody isn't fit - I'm happy with either Webb or Prudden. Prudden seems to get forgotten by supporters - I think there is something to work with there. Smart player, who they trusted with the kick outs and involved in the defensive switches - when he got a chance and when Bob was out last year - including when Bob when fwd against Collingwood.

Rocco Jones
11-04-2016, 06:31 PM
In: Wood (if fit), Adcock
Out: Bob, Jong (stays in if Wood isn't right)

Cyberdoggie
11-04-2016, 06:43 PM
I think they may tread lightly on Wood, and there may be more to his injury/injuries.
He looked proppy since that Pavlich hit on his shoulder and the high flying mark.

I can't see us risking him for the Carlton game.

Jong deserves another week, no point dumping him after a tough baptism by fire against the Hawks. Keep in mind he has been playing VFL practice matches against weak sides like Nth Ballarat and Essendon, then jumps to the absolute elite.

Give him another game against Carlton and if he doesn't step up then fair enough.

Like everyone else i'm guessing Webb or Adcock in for Bob.

F'scary
11-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I in the Webb or Dale or Cordy or Prudden before Adcock camp. Got to keep building for the future.

chef
11-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Our time is now. Adcock in for Bobby for me(if Wood is still not right). No one deserves to get dropped after that game

Smads57
11-04-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm in the Prudden camp as a replacement for Bob. They seem to be looking for Webb to play a more wing/half forward role versus back six role.

I also suspect they will hold Wood back a further week. The medical report on the Bulldogs website didn't pump him up as a certain selection for this week.

GVGjr
11-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Our time is now. Adcock in for Bobby for me(if Wood is still not right). No one deserves to get dropped after that game

Agreed, I don't see a lot of sense in not picking the best team each week. We have a young list and we need to have some leaders in the senior side. Pick the best side available and if that includes Adcock then that's what I would do.

LostDoggy
11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Out-Bob :(,
In-Adcock,

Dicko available,do we bring him straight in?
But who goes out?

1eyedog
11-04-2016, 10:00 PM

And play back? Adcock could not get a kick in 2014 at half back before being moved forward.

chef
11-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Dickson has to play at VFL first. No way he comes straight in.

meenies
11-04-2016, 10:01 PM
I'm also a big Prudden fan. I think this is his time. Also like Jong, tough first game to come back so will definitely be better for the fun.
Does anyone think Stringer needs resting? He was definitely off against St Kilda and still did not look like at his explosive best yesterday as well. If he is A OK then (don't shoot me) he is not showing big game form.
3 big games, another 6 day break, maybe one or two rested depending upon who is sore.

Greystache
11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
Out-Bob :(,
In-Adcock,

Dicko available,do we bring him straight in?
But who goes out?

I'd bring Dickson straight in. Carlton are shit and it's a soft landing, and even if he only gets 5 or 6 kicks it'll likely still get us 3 or 4 goals.

chef
11-04-2016, 10:03 PM
And play back? Adcock could not get a kick in 2014 at half back before being moved forward.

I think he'd be fine. We arent Brisbane.

Hes not going to replace Murphy, no one can but he can certainly come in a play a role.

F'scary
11-04-2016, 10:39 PM
I like Always Right's point about combatting complacency this week. Perhaps need to make 3 changes to achieve this end.

We have one compulsory change. Not sure who should go out to make the other two changes. I'd keep Jong, he will be desperate to perform. I'd keep Hamling and I have a suspicion Wood will miss again. I'd make Dickson play in the VFL to make sure he is ready. This won't be a popular observation but again I thought as I sat in the stand that Morris and Matt Boyd both look as if they are in their final year. When do we start making the transition if that is so?

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-04-2016, 11:27 PM
I like Always Right's point about combatting complacency this week. Perhaps need to make 3 changes to achieve this end.

We have one compulsory change. Not sure who should go out to make the other two changes. I'd keep Jong, he will be desperate to perform. I'd keep Hamling and I have a suspicion Wood will miss again. I'd make Dickson play in the VFL to make sure he is ready. This won't be a popular observation but again I thought as I sat in the stand that Morris and Matt Boyd both look as if they are in their final year. When do we start making the transition if that is so?

I agree with your thoughts. There isn't any need to panic with our selection process. After all we ran Hawthorn coming off 3peat to just 3 points. We had 25 shots at goal with 2 key forwards in Jake and Boyd contributing just one goal apiece. There is a risk to rush back Dickson having not had a game for two months or so. If Easton Wood is fit then I would see him replacing Murphy as the only change.Hawthorn were good enough at the weekend to close out JJ's run and hold Stringer Liberatore and Bontempelli to ordinary games. They will get better for that experience. We need to get better with our disposal, which is Hawthorn's greatest strength. We are probably now close to fielding our best 22 with Wood's inclusion and before much longer Dickson.

FrediKanoute
12-04-2016, 01:13 AM
I think we reward at the selection table good performances in the VFL.

jeemak
12-04-2016, 01:39 AM
Watching Puopulo and Rioli and the angst they cause among opposition defenders on the out ball makes me think we're due to put a defensive or chasing forward into the side.

I think we should put Honey into the selection mix this week.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Pretty sure Wood won't play. Honey was in everything in our VFL match.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2016, 08:51 AM
HC's body is certainly filling out. He looks impressive.

I'd be happy for Dickson to play a half of footy giving some limited role in the forward half.

I'd like to see Picken play in the forward line to play the role that Jeemak is talking about.

Zaine Cordy please.

Mantis
12-04-2016, 10:17 AM
I'd bring Dickson straight in. Carlton are shit and it's a soft landing, and even if he only gets 5 or 6 kicks it'll likely still get us 3 or 4 goals.

Not concerned that he has played 20min all year and nothing for the last 8 weeks?

His an important player when right, but I would think he plays this week in the VFL, getting some minutes up the ground and then comes in against Brisbane.

Happy Days
12-04-2016, 10:56 AM

I'd play him in the VFL and bring him in for the soft(er) landing against Brisbane; Brisbane are pretty shit too!

always right
12-04-2016, 11:03 AM
We bring Dickson in if we are desperate. We're not desperate.

Greystache
12-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Not concerned that he has played 20min all year and nothing for the last 8 weeks?

His an important player when right, but I would think he plays this week in the VFL, getting some minutes up the ground and then comes in against Brisbane.

No, that's why I'd bring him in.

A game against Carlton, another against Brisbane, and he'd be ready for the important game against Norf in 3 weeks.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Funny how ol' single dad, bricklayer Tory Dickson has become our secret weapon we hesitate to take out of cotton wool.
Never underestimate the value of a player who works hard, kicks straight for goal.

1eyedog
12-04-2016, 12:21 PM
There's no need to risk Dicko against either Brisbane or Carlton. Easing him back in through the slower VFL and thereby mitigating injury is more important than what he provides over the next two weeks. The VFL is the perfect medium, a decent hit out with lesser impact on the body.

Webby
12-04-2016, 01:31 PM
We've got to reward form and effort in the vfl. Webb or Dale come in for mine. Dicko to get some sharpness back through the vfl.

For the good of the club, the younger blokes need a look.

The Doctor
12-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Dickson needs to earn his spot in the seniors just like everyone else. It wouldn't be fair to guys like Dale, Webb etc who have shown some good form in the VFL and are putting their hands up for selection.

craigsahibee
12-04-2016, 01:51 PM

That's like saying "the Brainstrust at Richmond". Purely fictional.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2016, 01:58 PM
We don't have to include a backline player, a like for like player, as we still have Hamling Morris Boyd Suckling JJ Biggs and Adams to play back there. That is 7 players. If Wood is available I definitely would play him otherwise it could be anyone who the MC thinks is in form or right to go.An onballer, another big guy, a forward or whoever.

GVGjr
12-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Dickson needs to earn his spot in the seniors just like everyone else. It wouldn't be fair to guys like Dale, Webb etc who have shown some good form in the VFL and are putting their hands up for selection.

While I agree with the logic, often selections last year didn't pay a lot of attention to form at Footscray. It will be interesting to see which way we go.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2016, 09:42 PM

While I agree with the logic, often selections last year didn't pay a lot of attention to form at Footscray. It will be interesting to see which way we go.

Dickson was dominant at VFL level before he was a strong AFL player. I think him proving his fitness and showing adequate form at VFL level will go hand in hand.

LostDoggy
12-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Bring Dad in and switch Grizzly to F50.

kruder
12-04-2016, 10:37 PM
In Campbell

Out Murphy

I really want to see how two Ruckman go in the side with one resting forward or on the bench and Carlton/Brisbane provide the perfect opportunity.

Give Wood another week off, absolutely 0 risk with him.The week after he can come in for Boyd against Brissy to give him a freshen up. Dickson to play in the VFL.

Mantis
13-04-2016, 08:58 AM

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on here for a while.. Why you would want to move a player away from an area of the ground where he is performing extremely well is beyond me.

F'scary
13-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Interesting.

merantau
13-04-2016, 09:13 AM
I would not like to see Jong dropped. He deserves another chance against Carlton. Be conservative with Wood. Hamstring problems can become chronic.He is too valuable to risk

Ghost Dog
13-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Fletcher Roberts - showing enough form at VFL level?

1eyedog
13-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on here for a while.. Why you would want to move a player away from an area of the ground where he is performing extremely well is beyond me.

Agreed Adams has to stay back. If the MC thinks we need tall support for Stringer I'd consider Hamling forward. Mobile and can mark.

ledge
13-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Honeychurch , Dale,Minson Redpath and Campbell are going well in the VFL.
In hindsight we should have gone in with another tall in our forward line against the hawks and I think we should do that against Carlton.
Poor Stringer was always going to get the best Back as we had no other tall strong leading forward for them to worry about.
I would bring in another tall against Carlton to stretch their backline.
Two changes for mine .. Murphy and Jong out for Collins and maybe Redpath or Campbell in.
We still have Boyd and Morris in our back 6 to guide Collins and picken can always go back if needed.
Dale could possibly be the other inclusion, could see him kicking 6 as a drift in forward.
Not sure who i would drop though for him.

always right
13-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Honeychurch , Dale,Minson Redpath and Campbell are going well in the VFL.
In hindsight we should have gone in with another tall in our forward line against the hawks and I think we should do that against Carlton.
Poor Stringer was always going to get the best Back as we had no other tall strong leading forward for them to worry about.
I would bring in another tall against Carlton to stretch their backline.
Two changes for mine .. Murphy and Jong out for Collins and maybe Redpath or Campbell in.
We still have Boyd and Morris in our back 6 to guide Collins and picken can always go back if needed.
Dale could possibly be the other inclusion, could see him kicking 6 as a drift in forward.
Not sure who i would drop though for him.

Don't agree with this at all. You've just diluted one of our greatest strengths which is speed and pressure. If we had played Campbell against the hawks, Gibson would have had another 40 possessions running off Tom at every opportunity. Whilst we struggled to take a contested mark up forward, our setup didn't allow Hawthorn to launch attacks from defence like they were able to do against West Coast.

We have a structure and game style that ran the three-peat premiers to three points. Why would Beveridge abandon a game style and structure that has got us to this point? I'm not against bringing in Campbell or Redpath into the side but it can't be both at the expense of two runners.

bornadog
13-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Don't agree with this at all. You've just diluted one of our greatest strengths which is speed and pressure. If we had played Campbell against the hawks, Gibson would have had another 40 possessions running off Tom at every opportunity. Whilst we struggled to take a contested mark up forward, our setup didn't allow Hawthorn to launch attacks from defence like they were able to do against West Coast.

We have a structure and game style that ran the three-peat premiers to three points. Why would Beveridge abandon a game style and structure that has got us to this point? I'm not against bringing in Campbell or Redpath into the side but it can't be both at the expense of two runners.

We really need Dickson back in there to help out around the goals.

craigsahibee
13-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I would be hesitant to drop both Jong and/or Hamling after 1 week. Particularly when you consider it was their first exposure at a competitive game for the year. If Wood is fit, he is straight back in for Bob. Wood did miss a game early last year with hamstring tightness and came straight back in, so hopefully he can be right to go this week. It may have even been the Hawthorn game in Tassie that he missed in Round 3. Dad get's a game if Morris is sore, Adcock in for M Boyd (player management issues as Bevo mentioned earlier this season with regard to 6 day breaks).

Bulldog4life
13-04-2016, 11:51 AM
We really need Dixon back in there to help out around the goals.

Or even Dickson.:)

The Underdog
13-04-2016, 11:58 AM

It always amuses me that whenever we find a good tall defender the call inevitably comes to switch him forward. Adams has been outstanding at FB, there's absolutely no reason to move him

Sedat
13-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Jong is one of the more interesting players on our list. I'm still not sure what to make of him - clearly he has some fantastic attributes (many of which compliment finals footy) but his deficiencies (namely finding the footy consistently, which is something of a doozy for a mid) don't seem to have improved enough since he was first drafted.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Jong is one of the more interesting players on our list. I'm still not sure what to make of him - clearly he has some fantastic attributes (many of which compliment finals footy) but his deficiencies (namely finding the footy consistently, which is something of a doozy for a mid) don't seem to have improved enough since he was first drafted.

I'm surprised to see him progress so far. He's gone from someone who looked awkward to someone not easy to match up on.
Averaging 14 disposals a game. 22 has played 24 games. Still too early to tell.

I'd like to see Jackson Macrae as being a great replacement for Murphy. He is creative, quick hard and while his dinky kicks can be annoying, he has the flair to play that role. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be moved to give us that drive and step up. Being more accountable for his accuracy puts him under the pump, like Matty Boyd.

Sedat
13-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised to see him progress so far. He's gone from someone who looked awkward to someone not easy to match up on.
Averaging 14 disposals a game. 22 has played 24 games. Still too early to tell.
For a mid that's been in the system as long as he has, that is underwhelming. And it's not like he gets 13-15 every week - he goes some weeks sub 10 and then others over 20 (usually in big games like the EF last year, hence why he intrigues me so much).

Can you teach a footballer to instinctively know how to find the footy and where to go to find it?

Ghost Dog
13-04-2016, 01:23 PM
For a mid that's been in the system as long as he has, that is underwhelming. And it's not like he gets 13-15 every week - he goes some weeks sub 10 and then others over 20 (usually in big games like the EF last year, hence why he intrigues me so much).

Can you teach a footballer to instinctively know how to find the footy and where to go to find it?

Maybe his performance in big games gives him enough credit in this early part of the season. We do what we have done with Jordan, give him a chance early in the year, but lay it on the table -"it's make or break time".
I agree, it's not a great return, but he's not a born footy player like a Caleb Daniels or a Dunkley, brain wired for footy since day dot. I think he started to learn the game late. I'm really surprised he got this far.
If he is our Mitch Hahn, helps the others find the ball, blocks and tackles, then I have no problem with games of 14+ ( we have a pretty stunty midfield and need a bigger body in there ) but as you say, as an average, it's a worry.

Webby
13-04-2016, 01:30 PM
It's equally important to look at a player's tackle count, nowadays. Also the contested possession count. Jong's instruction would clearly not be to get on the outside for the gifted uncontested possession. (He's not a finisher.) It's to provide an awkward match up, provide contested possession, defensive structure, to go forward and provide a tough marking/ground level match up and to provide forward defensive pressure. He's a role player and a handy physical presence. He's also a valuable workhorse for our structures. He's also as hard as nails in the contest - which breaks some teams down.

Stats don't bear these thing out.

kruder
13-04-2016, 06:16 PM
We need to remember Jong was coming in off a VFL practice match against a seriously weakened team, its hardy the perfect prep for a game that had more intensisty than the final against Adelaide.

Better for the run and deserves another crack to find his feet in the team.

Cyberdoggie
13-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Dicko needs a run at VFL level. When he got injured last time he struggled for a while when he got back. Match fitness is everything for him to get in to good positions and apply pressure. He's coming back from adductor and whatever else injuries so he will need confidence in being able to get through a game first.
Do we really need him against Carlton?

Hotdog60
13-04-2016, 07:08 PM
It always amuses me that whenever we find a good tall defender the call inevitably comes to switch him forward. Adams has been outstanding at FB, there's absolutely no reason to move him

I wouldn't be against Adams going forward during the game. I thought against the Hawks if he had the opportunity he could have drifted down there like Lake used to. We seemed to be lacking a strong marking option with our forwards being beaten in the air.

But I do agree his place is at FB. Also he is still too young to roam forward like Lake use to.

Rocco Jones
13-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Dickson- definitely needs a run at VFL level. Could even have 2 games theres with increasing time on ground.

Jong- like Sedat, I find him intriguing. Glaring strengths and weaknesses. His strengths are quiet unique too, explosive speed + strength, his ability to be third man up in ruck, can really influence contest both aerially and at ground level.

He doesn't find the ball enough consistently. His body can be an issue, must only play him when he is totally right. I think he needs to find another string to his bow and to be that is either 1- finding the ball consistently or 2- hitting the scoreboard enough to allow him to play forward rotating through midfield which is invaluable in our post cap rotations footy world.

Jong is definitely improving but it's very gradual. At the moment, we just need to play him when he is in the best 22. I don't buy into not dropping a player for confidence reasons. I back Beveridge to help them out there whatever level they are playing at and the greater good of the team is more important anyway.

This week I have Jed Adcock ahead of him. Adcock was strong in the VFL and with Bob out, I would like to see another senior figure. If Wood doesn't come up, I'd keep Jong in.

Hamling- definitely deserves another go. With Bob out, I would play another tall in the backline. Hamling and Collins are the contenders there. Hamling didn't do too much wrong in a game that was more finals than most finals.

bornadog
13-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I would rather see Dale, Honeychurch or Webb in well before Adcock.

chef
13-04-2016, 07:13 PM

Why?

bornadog
13-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Why?

I think they are playing better than Adcock and I would prefer giving younger players a go, as long as they deserve it of course.

eg. Honeychurch had 34 disposals last week and is in good form as are Dale and Webb.

Rocco Jones
13-04-2016, 07:18 PM

A healthy team always needs to blood some young players. We simply had to do that last year to fill our 22. This season we more than fill the healthy quota.

We are now chasing wins and playing the contender game. Winning is great for player development too. I want us to simply select our best 22. Earning a spot in a team seems a lost secret in developing a young player.

FrediKanoute
13-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Where is Hrovat at?

Rocco Jones
13-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Where is Hrovat at?

Injured for 6ish weeks I think.

chef
13-04-2016, 07:41 PM
I think they are playing better than Adcock and I would prefer giving younger players a go, as long as they deserve it of course.

eg. Honeychurch had 34 disposals last week and is in good form as are Dale and Webb.

Adcock had pretty good game too didnt he?

Looking at the stats Adcock seemed to have as good a game as HC. I guess it may come down to who the coach prefers to do a role.

Age shouldnt matter. It should be what you can bring to the team. Our time is now.

GVGjr
13-04-2016, 07:57 PM

What do you have against selecting the best side each week? You use that "young players a go" statement way too often given how young our sides are. We had 5 players with just 100 games playing experience of Sunday and now we lose Murphy so this whole "we need to pick younger players" statement is a nonsense.

You've also made your point a number of times that you didn't want us to select Adcock as a rookie but BAD dismissing form and what an experienced player might be able to offer an already very young side is seriously flawed.

If he gets picked and plays an average game I suspect you will be the first to call it out.

chef
13-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Yep. We are only older than Brisbane, we dont need to play kids just for the sake of.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Is Prudden some chance to fill a role off half back? He's shown he can kick the ball well.

boydogs
13-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Is Prudden some chance to fill a role off half back? He's shown he can kick the ball well.

I hope not, he's been very deer in the headlights at AFL level to date, we need fast ball movement out of defense

1eyedog
13-04-2016, 08:37 PM
I hope not, he's been very deer in the headlights at AFL level to date, we need fast ball movement out of defense

Not sure we need to bring in a Prudden to fill the HB role. I think we'll reshuffle. Between Biggs and JJ we've got both flanks covered. I like Suckling down there also. What Bob can do with his toes Suckling now needs to do with his cannon. He can split teams open with that thing ala. the JJ pass against the Saints.

I'm concerned about M Boyd and I know I'm not the first. I wasn't initially but my concern is growing each week. I was prepared to accept a few clangers against Freo and St. Kilda as he had an interrupted preseason, but he's an experienced player and should have found some sort of groove. When all the pups around you are hitting targets and delivering under pressure and you give the ball back to the opposition twice (and are dragged for it) and then you lay a tackle like that with 20 seconds to go it starts to make people wonder whether you're becoming a bit too experienced if you get my meaning.

Happy to observe over the next couple with another test coming up for him against the Norf.

LostDoggy
13-04-2016, 09:39 PM
I'd prefer to keep Adams back as he is playing outstanding footy.Just not sure if Jake is 100% ATM as noticed against ShitKilda after the JJ intercept and pass to him that he pulled up very propy.
A bit more of strong marking type player could take the load of Jake to perform to high expectations as our main F50 target.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2016, 10:30 PM
There's obviously various options, including shuffling with what we already have, but at this point I see it as Webb v Adcock for Murphy's spot.

No doubt Adcock will get his chance, and it may well be this weekend, but I like what Webb could potentially bring to the game. I think he reads the play fairly well, has an improving contested game, plays multiple positions and has a beautiful left foot. He's only a second year player and may tire, but I think he should be given first crack. Might have been playing as a mid in the VFL but I think that only further strengthens the argument that he should play - he's versatile.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we went with Adcock, but I just see Webb as a better distributer and not a lot else between them at this point.

GVGjr
13-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if we went with Adcock, but I just see Webb as a better distributer and not a lot else between them at this point.

I tend to agree it's a race in two. I think either player would be a good selection.

bornadog
13-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Yep. We are only older than Brisbane, we dont need to play kids just for the sake of.

I never said that at all if you are referring to my post. The have to deserve there spot.

bornadog
13-04-2016, 11:39 PM
What do you have against selecting the best side each week? You use that "young players a go" statement way too often given how young our sides are. We had 5 players with just 100 games playing experience of Sunday and now we lose Murphy so this whole "we need to pick younger players" statement is a nonsense.

I did say they have to earn their spot. I wouldn't pick a young player for the sake of it? As I said if it is a choice between Adcock and Webb or HoneyChurch, I would go with them rather than Adcock.

You've also made your point a number of times that you didn't want us to select Adcock as a rookie but BAD dismissing form and what an experienced player might be able to offer an already very young side is seriously flawed.

In my opinion if you are going to recruit an experienced older player, it should be in a role we don't have much cover for. eg Barry Hall.

If he gets picked and plays an average game I suspect you will be the first to call it out.

Let's hope he plays well then. :D

Mantis
14-04-2016, 08:12 AM
The more I think about it the more I think we make multiple changes this week.

We're a young side coming off a very taxing game, we have a 6 day break and had an emotional low... We have depth so let's use it to refresh the team.

Ozza
14-04-2016, 09:03 AM
The more I think about it the more I think we make multiple changes this week.

We're a young side coming off a very taxing game, we have a 6 day break and had an emotional low... We have depth so let's use it to refresh the team.

I agree. I'd be comfortable seeing 3 changes (including Bob) to help keep us on edge as a team.

chef
14-04-2016, 09:20 AM
I never said that at all if you are referring to my post. The have to deserve there spot.

Your the one who said you'd rather play youth.

It shouldn't matter what their age, if they deserve a spot they deserve a spot. Not that Adcock is old, he's only 30 so he's got a heap if footy left in front of him.

chef
14-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I did say they have to earn their spot. I wouldn't pick a young player for the sake of it? As I said if it is a choice between Adcock and Webb or HoneyChurch, I would go with them rather than Adcock.

Adcock was borderline BOG with HC going by the stats and a few reports, he'd deserve a spot if he comes in.

He should be in front of Webb you would think.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Adcock was borderline BOG with HC going by the stats and a few reports, he'd deserve a spot if he comes in.

Yes whoever the MC go with is ok with me. They have a pretty good record of getting it right.

GVGjr
14-04-2016, 07:24 PM

In Adcock Out Murphy. I'm so disappointed that this club doesn't give youth a fair go ;)

1eyedog
14-04-2016, 07:26 PM
In Adcock Out Murphy. I'm so disappointed that this club doesn't give youth a fair go ;)

A good decision. I wonder where we'll play him?

Well done Jed and welcome to the Doggies! Hope he has a big one.

chef
14-04-2016, 07:26 PM

Well he is younger than Muphy;)

GVGjr
14-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Good question, I suspect he might play in a number of positions but mainly midfield.

comrade
14-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Dale as an emergency, still think a late change could be on the cards.

Remi Moses
14-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Not a surprise . Adcock was pretty good last week .
There's going to be chances for Webb, Prudden and a few others .
Decent form and they'll get a gig

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Great to see Cordy in the emergencies.

jeemak
14-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Great to see Cordy in the emergencies.

Do we think there might be a cloud over someone in the back six?

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Do we think there might be a cloud over someone in the back six?

I hope so. After a bad loss watching Zaine would be a the perfect tonic for me.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Dickson is back for Footscray this week

The Underdog
14-04-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm a little surprised we didn't manage a few more guys with a 6 day break after a really tough game. Or maybe I'm just not used to this new boring match committee

comrade
14-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I'm a little surprised we didn't manage a few more guys with a 6 day break after a really tough game. Or maybe I'm just not used to this new boring match committee

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the plan for the week after. Play our guns, play the mature rookie, bank the win and rest a few against a woeful travelling Lions team.

On another note, great to have Dickson back on the field for Footscray. His finishing skills will be very welcome.

F'scary
14-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Look, I am going to jump in and be uncharitable.

I am not happy with the selection of Adcock. We should be blooding the 10 year prospects like Webb, Dale or Honeychurch, all of whom did about as well as Adcock in the VFL last week, from what I gather.

ratsmac
14-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Adcock in seems like a wise choice. I thought there might of been some sore bodies after the hawks game to force more changes. Seems we're in good condition except for Bob : (

Remi Moses
14-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Greater Western Sydney blues this week

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 09:16 PM
What? No Liam Jones...

LostDoggy
14-04-2016, 09:20 PM
What? No Liam Jones...

I'm shocked too BT.
Thought the contested beast was a cert to get called up against us after his stellar 3 goal effort against our exerienced VFL side last week.

LostDoggy
14-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Is he named as an emergency?

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Is he named as an emergency?

Nope. Couldn't make the squad of 25. I guess we will have to just console ourselves with Caleb Daniel as the player we got with the pick for him.

LostDoggy
14-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Welcome to the Pack Cocky and good luck.
Hope you have a stellar finish to your career with us in your twighlight years.

dukedog
14-04-2016, 09:45 PM
I really dont see how anyone can be upset at adcock getting a game. The match committee have got alot right. You bring youth in for the sake of it. You lose experience. We are not rebuilding here guys. We could win a flag.

EasternWest
14-04-2016, 10:07 PM
I really dont see how anyone can be upset at adcock getting a game. The match committee have got alot right. You bring youth in for the sake of it. You lose experience. We are not rebuilding here guys. We could win a flag.

I'm with you. We definitely consider ourselves as legitimately in the mix in the next few years, so I don't see any reason that Adcock shouldn't be considered as a serious part of it.

If his form warrants it, if the match committee thinks it makes us better, he plays.

jeemak
14-04-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Adcock performs. Bringing in two mature players in Suckling and Adcock for free (aside from wages, of course) is Bevo's first step towards bolstering our list via the trade market which many of us expected to happen over time. It will be interesting to see if we've hit the sweet spot with the latter in particular.

Dry Rot
14-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Last season we had a lot of injuries e.g. Libba, Stevens, Jong, JJ, Honeychurch, Roberts, Campbell, Mclean etc

I think sometimes this is forgotten re playing the young kids last year.

I don't mind the selection of Adcock -> one old head replaces another and he gets used to playing with us against shithouse opposition.

ratsmac
15-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Last season we had a lot of injuries e.g. Libba, Stevens, Jong, JJ, Honeychurch, Roberts, Campbell, Mclean etc

I think sometimes this is forgotten re playing the young kids last year.

I don't mind the selection of Adcock -> one old head replaces another and he gets used to playing with us against shithouse opposition.

I do agree, however we only defeated this shithouse opposition by 11 points last season. I hope we don't get complacent and think this will be a stroll in the park because Carlton are still looking for their first win this year and I'd hate for it to be against us.

That being said, this game should be a stroll in the park.

KT31
15-04-2016, 12:27 AM

To be fair compared to most of us Adcock would be still regarded as a youth.:)

jeemak
15-04-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm fine with the inclusion of Adcock, but I did really want Honeychurch to play and it seems given the emergencies listed I'm out of step with the selection panel.

Honey for me actually adds something specific to the team that Jong doesn't. Both are strong and tenacious, but there's no doubt in my mind that with further experience granted, Honey will progress his game further and be a better role player than Jong will because of his natural skill set. In a pressure game I don't want the ball in Jong's hands because I don't think he'll ever get enough of it or ever get it right.

Honey on the other hand is a true talent, he's getting stronger and he's seemingly in form, and when we scratch away his raw surface he'll show how good he can be.

dukedog
15-04-2016, 07:28 AM
I'm fine with the inclusion of Adcock, but I did really want Honeychurch to play and it seems given the emergencies listed I'm out of step with the selection panel.

Honey for me actually adds something specific to the team that Jong doesn't. Both are strong and tenacious, but there's no doubt in my mind that with further experience granted, Honey will progress his game further and be a better role player than Jong will because of his natural skill set. In a pressure game I don't want the ball in Jong's hands because I don't think he'll ever get enough of it or ever get it right.

Honey on the other hand is a true talent, he's getting stronger and he's seemingly in form, and when we scratch away his raw surface he'll show how good he can be.

Agree. Im a huge fan of Honeychurch also. But this is Adcock's chance let see if he takes it. If not im sure the commitee wont just persevere. Go dogs!

1eyedog
15-04-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how Adcock performs. Bringing in two mature players in Suckling and Adcock for free (aside from wages, of course) is Bevo's first step towards bolstering our list via the trade market which many of us expected to happen over time. It will be interesting to see if we've hit the sweet spot with the latter in particular.

I agree. I think he's been under-estimated at Brisbane. Prior captain of the club sure but I think his drop in form could quite easily be attributed to a number of factors, not least that Adcock and Vossy had a very strong relationship and things changed when Leppa came in.

Can certainly still play, tore us a new one in his last game and can be banked on to get it right out there most of the time.

As for Honey I think he's extremely unlucky. 34 touches and two goals for Footscray last week is a massive statement, but this team is hard to crack. If he performs this week and Jong has another downer I'd like to see them swapped for the Brisbane game.

Mantis
15-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Do you feel better now?

Ghost Dog
15-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Why do they call him Mr September then at the club? Jong is the Millenium Falcon of football. Doesn't look like much, but he can do the Kessel run in less than a few parsecs.:D

1eyedog
15-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Why do they call him Mr September then at the club? Jong is the Millenium Falcon of football. Doesn't look like much, but he can do the Kessel run in less than a few parsecs.:D

Was sensational in the EF final last year. Needs to find consistency throughout the year. Some players are big game but he needs to contribute on flat tracks against poor opposition.

Ozza
15-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Happy enough to see Adcock come into the side.
He's a terrific kick of the footy and can play in all three areas of the ground.

always right
15-04-2016, 12:03 PM

I like Honeychurch but question his lack of pace at senior level where he tends to work hard without much result. At this stage he strikes me as the classic excellent VFL level footballer but I hope he proves me wrong and continues to develop. His energy level is great but that in itself won't get him senior games.

Jong has a different skill set.....and shortcomings. He has received some criticism for simply not finding the ball enough but I'd like to understand the role Beveridge has set for him before passing judgement. Beveridge may be measuring his performance on different KPI's than we are. Having said that, he will continue to be a fringe selection competing with several others for a position. I really want him to succeed due to the attributes he brings to the team but he needs to continue to improve, particularly in his ball usage by foot which has improved over the years but is still his weakness.

bornadog
15-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Jong has a different skill set.....and shortcomings. He has received some criticism for simply not finding the ball enough but I'd like to understand the role Beveridge has set for him before passing judgement. Beveridge may be measuring his performance on different KPI's than we are. Having said that, he will continue to be a fringe selection competing with several others for a position. I really want him to succeed due to the attributes he brings to the team but he needs to continue to improve, particularly in his ball usage by foot which has improved over the years but is still his weakness.

I think Jong and Stevens play a similar role ie hard at it, in and under, use their strength and do all the things us supporters don't measure or see the same way as the coaches.

F'scary
15-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Go to our official AFL site and check out the jumper presentation to Adcock by the previous incumbent of #44, Brett Goodes. Sensational speech.

bornadog
15-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Go to our official AFL site and check out the jumper presentation to Adcock by the previous incumbent of #44, Brett Goodes. Sensational speech.

here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-04-15/goodes-presents-adcocks-guernsey)