PDA

View Full Version : Bob's 300th - Ideas for recognition & packing the joint out.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
There was some great work last year with ideas from woofers, notably the March to G for the final which the club heard and ran with. So... Bob's 300th (without resting, injury) is Round 7, Saturday Night vs Adelaide. This reason should be enough for a big crowd. But any ideas that the club should have a think about?

For me, I'd love a short formal flag dropping ceremony. All our 300 game players have their own flag at the Footscray end for home games. How about before breaking the banner, Bob props to see his flag fall along side our other great to a standing ovation. That short moment in history of our club, and for his service, should be more than enough to fill Etihad. I think it's understated and classy (Just like Bob), and far better than the nothing's-plasticky Saints cheap money grab of buying ' Rooey 300' hats for $10 or 'limited edition Rooey 300 jumpers' for $200 and no real moment or memory. Id love to see us all have a real moment as a club and members/fans with Bob.

Any ideas?

SonofScray
08-04-2016, 10:06 PM
A flag drop would be awesome. Would he be the first to receive the honour while playing?

Smads57
08-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Club website shows he has played 294 games after 2 rounds meaning his 300th is in round 8 - the first game away from home and at the G. Maybe it's we practise an early run to the G to celebrate Bob's 300th.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Club website shows he has played 294 games after 2 rounds meaning his 300th is in round 8 - the first game away from home and at the G. Maybe it's we practise an early run to the G to celebrate Bob's 300th.

Right you are, I did my math last year and missed it by that much. Maybe an early walk to the G, or could we break tradition and after the game against Adelaide (299th), if he's uninjured, drop the 300 flag after and kick off a week love fest culminating in the walk to the G.

Or rest him until we are back to Etihad. :D

SoS, yep he'd be the first to have the honour. Would be an historic and memorable moment.

comrade
09-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Yep, a March to the G for his 300th would be suitable.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Yep, a March to the G for his 300th would be suitable.

300 metres for 300 games. Fair trade, a shame we can't do the flag drop for it. But I guess a few weeks later is still good.

comrade
09-04-2016, 07:11 AM
300 metres for 300 games. Fair trade, a shame we can't do the flag drop for it. But I guess a few weeks later is still good.

As much as I love Bob, I would be hesitant to make the occasion too big and the game all about him. The Saints went overboard IMO and the players seemed spooked and tentative.

Need to find a balance between showing Bob the love he deserves and getting on with the job at hand.

Maddog37
09-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Bob is a different cat so using Teds Towel as inspiration I am recommending we go with Bobs Beret. A snappy red white and blue number handed out to the crowd on march day. That would look fantastic.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Bob is such a great footy person, and so well liked and respected, that regardless of what the club chooses to do, it's going to be a big occasion and there will be plenty of media attention in the week leading up to the game.

I don't think Bob would really want anything, other than a full house to cheer on the boys as we snare our 8th consecutive win.

Axe Man
09-04-2016, 10:32 AM
I don't think Bob would really want anything, other than a full house to cheer on the boys as we snare our 8th consecutive win.

100,000 people at 3:20pm on a Sunday afternoon v Melbourne is probably too big an ask, even for Bob!

G-Mo77
09-04-2016, 11:07 AM
I watched St.Kilda making the game all about one man and the actual match seemed 2nd preference to fans and some of the players. Low key recognition is all that is needed. I'm sure Bob would be happy with that

bulldogtragic
09-04-2016, 11:17 AM
I watched St.Kilda making the game all about one man and the actual match seemed 2nd preference to fans and some of the players. Low key recognition is all that is needed. I'm sure Bob would be happy with that

I thought St Kilda made it all about money from cheap looking $10 hats and $200 jumpers with a small number on it. Agree with your post, thats why I like the flag dropping, just a shame it's not at Etihad.

G-Mo77
09-04-2016, 12:02 PM
I thought St Kilda made it all about money from cheap looking $10 hats and $200 jumpers with a small number on it. Agree with your post, thats why I like the flag dropping, just a shame it's not at Etihad.

Yeah and that. I think some of it went to charity so I won't swipe at them for that however the whole spectacle last week was way over the top.

1eyedog
09-04-2016, 02:11 PM
I think we'll see the same approach from our marketing department for Bob's 300th - it's unavoidable. Bob is the club's employee and the club is a business. If we don't make money from it we're missing out on an opportunity. It's about how we market it that will set us apart and the quality of whatever we are selling of course.

hujsh
09-04-2016, 03:55 PM
I think we'll see the same approach from our marketing department for Bob's 300th - it's unavoidable. Bob is the club's employee and the club is a business. If we don't make money from it we're missing out on an opportunity. It's about how we market it that will set us apart and the quality of whatever we are selling of course.

The footy club's not-for-profit isn't it?

Obviously it needs revenue sources to maintain itself and it operates in a competitive environment but it's not like it has to worry about it's share price or pay dividends or anything.

Money matters to keep the club afloat, if that's achieved then premierships are top priority.

soupman
10-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Yeah and that. I think some of it went to charity so I won't swipe at them for that however the whole spectacle last week was way over the top.

I was under the impression all the caps were for charity but the scoreboard definitely said a whole 5% of the cost of the guernsey went to charity. Why bother?

1eyedog
10-04-2016, 12:51 PM
The footy club's not-for-profit isn't it?

Obviously it needs revenue sources to maintain itself and it operates in a competitive environment but it's not like it has to worry about it's share price or pay dividends or anything.

Money matters to keep the club afloat, if that's achieved then premierships are top priority.

That's true, apparently. We do pay tax on certain things though (pokies, wages), but any profit we make must go back into the club somehow. Money matters not only to keep the club afloat but to also help it stay competitive over extended periods of time. The obvious way to do this is internal expenditure outside the cap.

The Underdog
10-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Well this thread can go and get *!*!*!*!ed

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Yep, f**k me. F**k me very much.

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Let's hope for the best

azabob
10-04-2016, 07:09 PM
FFS, the loss I can handle....

G-Mo77
10-04-2016, 07:11 PM
FFS, the loss I can handle....

Likewise. Sour to lose but gut wrenching if we lose a player like Bob.

FrediKanoute
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Watching the replay it looks more medial/mechanical than a cruciate. Its almost like something locked in his knee. FIngers crossed its a medium term injury.

The Underdog
10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Watching the replay it looks more medial/mechanical than a cruciate. Its almost like something locked in his knee. FIngers crossed its a medium term injury.

The fact that he's had an ACL before and the resigned look on his face concerned me

G-Mo77
10-04-2016, 08:00 PM

Bevo said they're expecting the worst. We can only keep our fingers crossed now. :(

Doc26
10-04-2016, 08:43 PM

I'm hanging on your optimism now Fredi. I so hope you're right as I'm not prepared to accept that this is the end for Bob, like it was for Judd.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 08:46 PM
I'm hanging on your optimism now Fredi. I so hope you're right as I'm not prepared to accept that this is the end for Bob, like it was for Judd.

1. Bob can't come back for next year?
2. If Wood misses a week, who stands in as captain until Wood does come into the side?

anfo27
10-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Surely Bob goes the lars option at his age and where we are at?

Doc26
10-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Of course but would he put himself through the rehab required at the pointy end of his wonderful career ? Given where we're at he may just think the effort is worth it. He's still playing great football. Anyway let's hope that it's a medial of sorts and not an anterior cruciate.

GVGjr
10-04-2016, 09:29 PM
2. If Wood misses a week, who stands in as captain until Wood does come into the side?

Morris will be the captain.

EasternWest
10-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Morris will be the captain.

And rightly so.

I can't really describe how I feel about this. I think if you asked every player in the league who the best bloke on the game is he'd have to be top three. It's totally unjust that he's the guy this happens to, and at this stage in his career too.

LostDoggy
10-04-2016, 10:18 PM
And rightly so.

I can't really describe how I feel about this. I think if you asked every player in the league who the best bloke on the game is he'd have to be top three. It's totally unjust that he's the guy this happens to, and at this stage in his career too.

Sometimes it can be the cruelist game in the world. :(

bulldogtragic
10-04-2016, 10:20 PM
He deserves his 300 flag at the Footscray End.

Dear Bob. Get rest. Have surgery. Start rehab. Play 5+ games as our captain next year as we attack the finals as 'the threat'.

1eyedog
10-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Bevo said they're expecting the worst. We can only keep our fingers crossed now. :(

Hmmmm not good hearing that. Bob knows how one feels and the Docs know one when they prod around. The scan will confirm but I saw Bob shake his head and mutter its gone and I assume it's gone.

Ghost Dog
11-04-2016, 09:37 AM
The way I console myself is this. Each year a team will have a certain number of very serious injuries like that, and Bob took ours for the team. It's the only way I can think about it without feeling depressed.
It's heart-breaking. My memory goes back to Tommy Williams and his jumper hand-over. Enjoy the moment, because it might be your last.

If Hawks fans were laying into him while he lay on the ground - disgraceful.

I can well understand why some people hate football.

SonofScray
11-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Yep, it is very sobering to wake up and feel like that might've been Bob's final foray in the tricolours. He has lived that motto, of extracting every moment out of the game but I just can't stomach the thought of him not a) being our drought breaking skipper, b) making 300 games and c) retiring on his own terms.

Flat as a tack.

G-Mo77
11-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Stevo tweeted this morning that he expects Bob to go for full operation and return in 2017 and he'd planned on playing on anyway.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2016, 09:53 AM
That's the silver lining right there.

always right
11-04-2016, 10:26 AM
It's a big call going on for another year after a full knee reco....particularly at his age. He deserves to go out on his terms but I hope this decision is being made with the head...not the heart.

Feeling pretty flat today...about Bob.....and the impact on our chances this year. Big psychological hit for the team that could go two ways...it either galvanizes the group or breaks it.

cinder
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm feeling pretty flat also. I managed to crack my phone screen and make my 6 year old cry from cursing at the TV once Bob went down yesterday & with Sicily then kicking the goal ... mother of the year :(

Certainly no fairy tales in footy, if we hadn't already accepted that, this 100% confirms it.

Just heard on SEN that it's looking like a definite ACL and Bob will be taking the full 12 months for his recovery. *sigh*

I would love to know how we can get in touch with Murph with letters of support, I'm sure we could just email the club. Hope he has been reading how the entire AFL world is saddened, and wishing him all the best.

azabob
11-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Can we please close this thread down and no offence BT also delete it.

It makes me sad every time I see it...

Ghost Dog
11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Bob's wiry frame has given this club every molecule. I felt sad at first but now, I realize you can't expect so much of the human body. What else can we ask? I'm grateful for what he's given us but it's an opportunity for us.
The experience that a newcomer gets may be the difference between a premiership and not in the future.

If you read some of the names of the blokes he started with it's incredible to think of the time length.

hujsh
11-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I think we need to close this thread, burn it, put it in a box, burn the box, put that in a hole, light the hole on fire and then bury what's left.

Hotdog60
11-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Carlton supporter at work saw me today and gave me his sincere condolences.
He said there are not many players in the AFL that have the respect and admiration of the whole footy public.
He was even more disappointed for him when I told him he was on 295 games.
Sometimes you feel very proud to be a Bulldog.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Bevo wants him to play on next year. So do we. I hope Bob does too.

Dees fan
11-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Just wanted to draw your attention to this:
http://demonland.com/forums/topic/40040-robert-murphy/?page=1&_fromLogout=1

chef
11-04-2016, 09:36 PM

Great stuff.

GVGjr
11-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Thanks for coming on and posting this. Appreciated

AndrewP6
11-04-2016, 09:44 PM
I would love to know how we can get in touch with Murph with letters of support, I'm sure we could just email the club. Hope he has been reading how the entire AFL world is saddened, and wishing him all the best.

He knows. Tweeted this today...https://twitter.com/BobMurphy02

Ghost Dog
12-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Red and Blue on Red and Blue below.

Poster A - Never understood all the love for Murphy, on or off the field.

Poster B - Sociopathic tendencies on your part perhaps?

KT31
12-04-2016, 05:28 PM

Anyone else have issues with the page loading ?

demonland.com has gone down with all the love for Bobbie.:)

LostDoggy
12-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Anyone else have issues with the page loading ?

demonland.com has gone down with all the love for Bobbie.:)

Page loads fine on my $90 cheapo 10' Pendo pad KT.:)

chef
15-04-2017, 08:19 PM
It's finally here.

Eastdog
15-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Congratulations to Bob on 300 games. He has been a great servant of our club. So well deserved.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 08:27 PM
It's finally here.

Yep, sorry to all for last year...

I really hope there's a flag unfurling with the others in the 300 club behind the goals. Would be low key and such a nice, classy way to celebrate it (I imagine that's what Bob would want).

hujsh
15-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Still a week of training to go guys...

Let just hope no one gets on the gold carts and does a Johnson.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Still a week of training to go guys...

Let just hope no one gets on the gold carts and does a Johnson.

No training this week. No driving, no going out in public, no sex.

More than any 300th, this means the most to me.

Twodogs
16-04-2017, 11:29 PM
No training this week. No driving, no going out in public, no sex.

More than any 300th, this means the most to me.

Just spend the week enclosed in a huge packet of cotton balls. A person can breath enclosed in cotton balls can't they?

hujsh
17-04-2017, 02:24 AM
Just spend the week enclosed in a huge packet of cotton balls. A person can breath enclosed in cotton balls can't they?

Get him a straw just in case

Twodogs
17-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Get him a straw just in case

Good call. We should go the whole hog and get him one of those scuba masks.

always right
17-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Yep, sorry to all for last year...

I really hope there's a flag unfurling with the others in the 300 club behind the goals. Would be low key and such a nice, classy way to celebrate it (I imagine that's what Bob would want).
I like this suggestion....and reckon it is a fair chance of happening.

I'm really disappointed that I'll be in Tasmania and won't be able to make this game. Bob is one of my all time favourites and in a sport which can raise my stress levels to all time highs, whenever the ball is in Bob's hands I experience an amazing sense of calmness.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Something I have never forgotten. It happened at a intra Club practice match at Whitten Oval the first year Bob was drafted. All of a sudden during the last quarter this young fella who I later found out was Bob, who was off the ground, grabbed a microphone and started commentating on the game. I have never forgotten it. He was unique even then and of course still is. Congrats to Bob for reaching the 300 Club.

comrade
17-04-2017, 11:19 AM
A Johnny Cash cover band doing the half time entertainment.

Murphy'sLore
18-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Elvis would come back for Bob, wouldn't he?

bornadog
18-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Elvis would come back for Bob, wouldn't he?

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/Murphy.jpg

craigsahibee
19-04-2017, 01:53 PM
http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/Murphy.jpg

I love the story where Huddo reckons this tattoo looked more like Paul Roos than it did Elvis. One day in the airport lounge in Canberra after we played Sydney, Huddo called Roos over to explain to him that Bob had a tattoo of him on his chest.

Murphy'sLore
19-04-2017, 03:07 PM
We should serenade Sir Robert with a rendition of the original song our club song is based on: "Sons of the sea... Bobbing up and down like this..."

Daughter of the West
19-04-2017, 03:31 PM
We should serenade Sir Robert with a rendition of the original song our club song is based on: "Sons of the sea... Bobbing up and down like this..."

Imagine a sea of red, white and blue doing that at Etihad. Magical.

Slight aside, but is there still a link to that video somewhere? I tried to find it a little while ago to show my bro-in-law (a fellow dog's supporter) who didn't believe such a thing existed!

bornadog
19-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Imagine a sea of red, white and blue doing that at Etihad. Magical.

Slight aside, but is there still a link to that video somewhere? I tried to find it a little while ago to show my bro-in-law (a fellow dog's supporter) who didn't believe such a thing existed!

Do you mean this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbdoQk9EIA

Daughter of the West
19-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Do you mean this one:

Thank you for coming up with the goods Bornadog!

cinder
20-04-2017, 01:08 PM
I think I'm sorted:

https://s22.postimg.org/h9y2eh5g1/IMG_7040_1.jpg

bornadog
20-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Now get Bob to sign that jumper.

cinder
20-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Now get Bob to sign that jumper.

That's the plan! :)

SonofScray
20-04-2017, 08:22 PM
My mates and i do this for a laugh all the time. If we are playing poorly its always "Look at him, he's all at sea." "BOBBING UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS"
Do you mean this one:

Eastdog
20-04-2017, 08:24 PM
I am so honoured to have gotten Bobs signature on my footy at the fan day at Whitten Oval in February. Glad I went to booth 11 that day where Bob was.