PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 5 2016 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
10-04-2016, 10:42 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 5 match against Brisbane Lions at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
16-04-2016, 10:24 PM
At least one change beckons

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 10:59 PM
In: Wood, Dickson (or Webb/Dale if not fit), Campbell
Out: JJ (inj), Toyd (inj), Jong

Dry Rot
16-04-2016, 11:08 PM
Has Boyd done his shoulder?

Hotdog60
16-04-2016, 11:08 PM

Jong maybe saved for half back flank to fill for JJ, also Roughy may not be hundred percent.

azabob
16-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Has Boyd done his shoulder?

Do you read threads or just post random stuff hoping someone will answer?

hujsh
16-04-2016, 11:17 PM

Yeah he should read every post of every thread before asking a question FFS.

Unless it's in the Gameday thread I haven't seen where that information would be.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 11:23 PM
I thought we reserve bickering for losses. If not, I'm gunna unload on Twodogs for no apparent reason. Maybe Greystache too.

Dry Rot
16-04-2016, 11:24 PM

Which multiple threads should I have been reading?

Perhaps I'm just sitting home in Sydney without Foxtel and trying to listen to a crappy internet radio broadcast which regularly cuts out and I hear a reference to Boyd's injury?

Sure, I'll try a lot ****ing harder for you next week.

Dry Rot
16-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Yeah he should read every post of every thread before asking a question FFS.

Unless it's in the Gameday thread I haven't seen where that information would be.

Thanks.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Any love for Redders to replace Boyd?

EasternWest
16-04-2016, 11:28 PM
I thought we reserve bickering for losses. If not, I'm gunna unload on Twodogs for no apparent reason. Maybe Greystache too.

Come at me, bro.

hujsh
16-04-2016, 11:31 PM

It seems the obvious choice. Only reason he'd not replace Boyd, if injured, is if they feel he hasn't earned a spot.

Otherwise Wood to come in for JJ and if fit enough Dickson for someone. Adcock or Jong I guess

Nah there's a grand tradition of bickering after disappointing wins from the Eade error.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Come at me, bro.

Are you dead set?!?!?!?!!!!? F'N tool. :D

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 11:34 PM
It seems the obvious choice. Only reason he'd not replace Boyd, if injured, is if they feel he hasn't earned a spot.

Otherwise Wood to come in for JJ and if fit enough Dickson for someone. Adcock or Jong I guess

Nah there's a grand tradition of bickering after disappointing wins from the Eade error

Redders the relief ruckman?

GVGjr
16-04-2016, 11:34 PM

I'd be tempted if needed. Big Redders is a bit off the mark at the moment but he could thrive up forward for us for a couple of weeks.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 11:36 PM
I'd be tempted if needed. Big Redders is a bit off the mark at the moment but he could thrive up forward for us for a couple of weeks.

Can he ruck well at AFL level G?

GVGjr
16-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Can he ruck well at AFL level G?

Not really. His shoulder concerns mean he is very one sided. A few 5 minute bursts he can handle though.

hujsh
16-04-2016, 11:39 PM
Redders the relief ruckman?

He did it last year. IIRC he smashed into Goldstein at bit for us

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-04-2016, 11:41 PM
We have Campbell and Minson too

GVGjr
16-04-2016, 11:43 PM
We have Campbell and Minson too

Campbell is probably the better option but I won't rule Will out.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2016, 11:49 PM
Martin was KO'd today. I hope for his sake he has the week off to rest up.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2016, 12:01 AM
At this stage, I'd say JJ is going to be a long term injury, so I hope we bring in Webb to replace him. They aren't like for like in the sense that Webb won't break the lines, but Lynch and Williams are not ready for senior footy just yet.

If Boyd is out, I'd bring in Campbell and rotate him with Roughead.

I'd also be looking a couple of other changes, but will need to give them some thought. I wouldn't mind seeing HC and Dale get a run in the senior side, but who they may replace would be dictated by how everyone pulls up over the next couple of days.

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 12:10 AM
Tend to agree with that logic TD. Webb should be around the mark along with Campbell HC and Dale. Dickson and Wood should come in

Rance Fan
17-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Out
JJ, Stringer, Tboyd, Adcock, Mclean

In
Dale, Webb, Campbell, Redpath, Dickson

comrade
17-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Definitely have Campbell ahead of Redpath. Readers adds nothing in the ruck and isn't a big enough upgrade in the forward line to warrant a spot.

bornadog
17-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Surely Wood comes in next week, and I would also consider Dickson.

LostDoggy
17-04-2016, 01:17 AM

Plenty of love in this house :p

hujsh
17-04-2016, 01:18 AM
If Campbell comes in how are we splitting up the ruck/forward time between him and Roughead?

Remi Moses
17-04-2016, 01:23 AM
Wood for JJ ( if he isn't fit, I'd go Webb )
I'd look at Dickson, as I think Jake needs a chopout
Redpath for Boyd

G-Mo77
17-04-2016, 01:24 AM
Does Roughead get up for this match? He went off hurt several times and ran Jong in the ruck at times because of it.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2016, 01:35 AM
Wood for JJ
Campbell (Roughy was managed and would help share ruck burden + at least near equal to Redpath as power forward) for T Boyd
Dickson for Adcock

If Suckling doesn't come up, keep Adcock in or promote Webb.

If Roughy needs to be managed, Redpath? Really gone off him and but Will/TC is even more dinosaury!

SlimPickens
17-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Wood for JJ
Dickson for Jong - we need Dicko in our forward line
Campbell for T Boyd (if sore)

I'd also consider giving Libba a rest and bring in Webb

1eyedog
17-04-2016, 09:32 AM
I thought Jong was OK and needs a run at it? He's a point of difference and now one of the few players left with genuine leg speed. Feel he needs to stay in.

westbulldog
17-04-2016, 10:22 AM
I would leave Adcock in, not guillotine him after only one game. He should be motivated to play well against Brisbane.
Redpath / Campbell in the mix to replace T Boyd.
IF his form and fitness warrants it, Dickson to replace McLean.
Wood, if fit, or Webb to replace JJ.

SonofScray
17-04-2016, 11:29 AM
OUT:

Boyd (injured) Roughead (injured) JJ (injured)

IN:

Campbell, Redpath, Wood

Maybes:
Dale, Dickson

Bulldog4life
17-04-2016, 11:55 AM
I'd like to wait for all injury reports before naming team. Brisbane is a very fast team. Think it is important to keep Jongy is for this reason. With the loss of JJ and Murph in 2 weeks it makes us a slower team now.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2016, 12:13 PM
All of us want Jed to play against his own team but I'm not sure how he will fit the team's needs.

I see him as a small forward and with Bob and JJ out, I would like another high defender. Wood is more in intercept marker mould.

With the Lions having a few fast small forwards, I feel Webb is more suited to keeping up with them/rotating on wing.

I think if Dickson is in, Adcock probably needs to miss.

chef
17-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Listening to Bevo after the game he was pretty happy with Jeds debut and sees him as an important part of the team moving forward. I doubt he'll be getting dropped just yet.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Listening to Bevo after the game he was pretty happy with Jeds debut and sees him as an important part of the team moving forward. I doubt he'll be getting dropped just yet.

Yeah I think it's going to be interesting to see how we go. Just that we have to be clever how we use guys like Adcock and Jong.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Maybe we send Webb back to being a high defender at VFL level to groom him short term.

Rocco Jones
17-04-2016, 12:39 PM
With the Lions small forward line and Wood back in, do we replace Hamling with another runner to replace leg speed?

Adams, Wood and Morris were our tall options in first two games. Lions are super small.

F'scary
17-04-2016, 12:51 PM
From the Footscray VFL thread, I understand that Dickson looked way off a return to AFL, his fitness base is down considerably.

ledge
17-04-2016, 01:11 PM
Bailey Dale would be a nice inclusion . Class above VFL in my opinion.

SlimPickens
17-04-2016, 01:39 PM
With the Lions small forward line and Wood back in, do we replace Hamling with another runner to replace leg speed?

Adams, Wood and Morris were our tall options in first two games. Lions are super small.

We could replace Hamling on form. Collins has played some very good footy the last 2 weeks. Maybe a chance, plus I'd imagine he would of played on Schache(?) plenty of times.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Wood will be back according to Stevo

bornadog
17-04-2016, 01:59 PM

I thought Hamling was pretty good yesterday and is starting to return to something like 2015 form. I wouldn't drop him at all.

chef
17-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Has Dale ever played the high backman role?

Has all the physical attributes to play the Murph/JJ role.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
17-04-2016, 02:20 PM
JJ is out for 12 weeks bloody hell

ledge
17-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Has Dale ever played the high backman role?

Has all the physical attributes to play the Murph/JJ role.

I believe he is a great floater mark and could do it at both ends, takes the mark at the highest point and seems to have long arms.
I see him as more closer to Wood, doesn't run off as much but intercept marks a strong point.

bornadog
17-04-2016, 02:26 PM
JJ is out for 12 weeks bloody hell

Not sure where Jay Clark got that info from.

choconmientay
17-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Jake Stringer is at the Braybrook Hotel. He confirmed JJ wil have surgery tomorrow and is out for 12 weeks. He also confirmed Wood will be back next game.

F'scary
17-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Few issues looming besides JJ's injury.

1. Roughead looked stuffed, should we look at changing ruck off the bench by bringing Campbell or Minson in? 50% game time each ruckman.
2. Following on from 1. above, should we try playing Tom Boyd at FF for a whole game to enhance aerial power close to goal?
3. From 2. above, do we need to take the focus off Stringer as the key forward?

F'scary
17-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Some positives to look forward to:

Stringer, Wallis, Bontempelli (after 1st half), Libba and Picken were all relatively quiet. We won without 5 of our best killing them. I reckon these guys don't often have two quiet games in a row. Watch out Brisbane!

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 05:23 PM
All of us want Jed to play against his own team but I'm not sure how he will fit the team's needs.

I see him as a small forward and with Bob and JJ out, I would like another high defender. Wood is more in intercept marker mould.

With the Lions having a few fast small forwards, I feel Webb is more suited to keeping up with them/rotating on wing.

I think if Dickson is in, Adcock probably needs to miss.

Fair points you have raised.

always right
17-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Webb is a possible inclusion but doesn't have great leg speed. I think Wood has him well covered for pace. As Brisbane don't have great key forwards, Morris can be played on one of their smalls.

Campbell and Redpath potential swaps for Roughy (sore) and Boyd (injured).

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 06:10 PM

Hamling would be one of the quickest runners at the club however, he just hasn't used it games preferring to stop and consider his options. The Doc raised the option of sending him forward a couple of weeks back with his leap and run I think it's worth considering.

GVGjr
17-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Here is a couple of wackadoo selections a mate of mine wants us to consider this week and they both revolve around Hamling moving forward.

1 - Bring in Kieran Collins to match up on Josh Schache.
They played in the same Vic Country side and against each other in the TAC so it could be time to see how Collins could go as a key defender for us.
If Tom Boyd is out perhaps Hamling could move forward and even provide an option to do some ruck work.

2 - Bring in Tom Campbell and move Roughead to a key defenders role.
Hamling moves forward to cover Boyd and when Roughead is in the ruck giving Campbell a spell Hamling hops into the back line.
His reasoning is that we will probably need to manage Roughead and he might be required as a defender the following week against Petrie or Brown.

Any merit in these selections?

lemmon
17-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Not a fan of moving Roughy away from the ruck. He's playing career best football at the moment, I don't see any need to break the momentum. We've still got Roberts, Collins and Cordy cooling their heels for the taller forward lines.

1eyedog
17-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I think it's more player management than form-related, at least from what I've heard. If Roughie isn't playing ruck he should be rested.

Hamling was a forward before he was a backman. If we feel we need to relieve Stringer of his workload as the primary target, I'm open to Hamling playing forward.

I don't believe we should promote a player to match up on another player. We have a structure, and I know that that has been distributed these past two weeks, but If Hamling goes forward we essentially go back to Adams and Morris as the key backs with Wood to assist IMO.

With Murph and now JJ out, a question I have is whether Wood needs to change his role from intercept king to the line breaker we saw early on in his career?

KT31
17-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Anyone fill us on where Cordy is at ?

Mantis
18-04-2016, 06:15 PM
In: Wood, Campbell, Dale, HC

Out: JJ, Boyd, McLean, Libba

We should have given a few a rest last week.. Happy to add a few more outs if there are some tired bodies.

Smads57
18-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Anyone fill us on where Cordy is at ?

Watched the VFL game on Saturday and thought he played ok.

My changes for this week:

Wood in for JJ and if Toyd needs some time off, I'd bring in Campbell (played well enough on Saturday altho Maric was the best big man on the ground in my opinion).

Watched the AFL replay and thought Jong played well enough to fill the gaps when we lost some bodies on the park, so prepared to give him one more game.

Just on the VFL game, I thought we lost a lot of backline structure when Prudden went off with his ACL. As Roberts didn't play, it left Collins a big task of L McBean who kicked 5 goals. Honeychurch tried hard all day and I thought Webb floated in and out of the game.

Disappointing effort after quarter time with Richmond's smalls dominating thru the middle.

Would only really consider Honeychurch for promotion based on form (versus any necessary changes due to injuries)

Rocket Science
18-04-2016, 11:11 PM
In: Wood, Campbell, Dale, HC

Out: JJ, Boyd, McLean, Libba

We should have given a few a rest last week.. Happy to add a few more outs if there are some tired bodies.

Circa The Age, there's reports Campbell might've "re-injured the shoulder that had troubled him in the pre-season" last weekend.

comrade
18-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Circa The Age, there's reports Campbell might've "re-injured the shoulder that had troubled him in the pre-season" last weekend.

Error in the article. Was meant to refer to Boyd.

Rocket Science
18-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Error in the article. Was meant to refer to Boyd.

Ahh, that makes a bit more sense. Bless the meeja.

LostDoggy
19-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Wood/Webb for JJ (Webb if Wood isn't ready)
Campbell for Boyd (Sharing ruck and FF with Ruff, I know he's not a popular choice as a forward but neither is anyone else.. at least we would have the flexibility between TC, Ruff, Hammy and the Grizz)
Dead Eye Dicko for McLean (Big fan of Tobes but its very early in his career and a couple of Scray games would be good for him)

Maybe: Dale for Jong (skill upgrade)

comrade
19-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Any chance Jong moves to half back to cover JJ?

Not as quick but quicker than any one else we have, and given his lack of footy IQ (which is not dissimilar to JJ when he started), watching the play unfold may actually suit his game.

I'd much prefer him with the run and give off from half back than being caught in the middle, coughing up the ball with a panicked handball and turning it over. Good aerialist too, so I have some faith in him under a high ball.

The next 8 weeks could potentially be the making of him.

1eyedog
19-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Any chance Jong moves to half back to cover JJ?

Not as quick but quicker than any one else we have, and given his lack of footy IQ (which is not dissimilar to JJ when he started), watching the play unfold may actually suit his game.

I'd much prefer him with the run and give off from half back than being caught in the middle, coughing up the ball with a panicked handball and turning it over. Good aerialist too, so I have some faith in him under a high ball.

The next 8 weeks could potentially be the making of him.

Disposal is a massive liability down there. I like his speed but I think there is equal chance of him coughing it up down there as there is forward of centre. Worth a try with instructions to run or go the long option. He is a potential asset if he has space to run or he uses his aerial ability to win the ball and clear the area but if he's solely there to get ball give off ball others are suited to the position.

I wonder whether we'll go with someone who is fleet of foot like a Jong or with good disposal perhaps like Webb.

hujsh
19-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Disposal is a massive liability down there. I like his speed but I think there is equal chance of him coughing it up down there as there is forward of centre. Worth a try with instructions to run or go the long option. He is a potential asset if he has space to run or he uses his aerial ability to win the ball and clear the area but if he's solely there to get ball give off ball others are suited to the position.

I wonder whether we'll go with someone who is fleet of foot like a Jong or with good disposal perhaps like Webb.

Did we not say the same of Matty Boyd?

He's not a horrible kick and like Boyd he may cope better without the midfield pressure on his kicking and the extra options coming off half back

1eyedog
19-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Did we not say the same of Matty Boyd?

He's not a horrible kick and like Boyd he may cope better without the midfield pressure on his kicking and the extra options coming off half back

JJ and Bob cover Boydy with that duty, neither of them are there anymore. Unless Suckling gets it every time, Boyd or Jong will have to kick it = not good. And yes he's a horrible kick.

Greystache
19-04-2016, 06:10 PM
JJ and Bob cover Boydy with that duty, neither of them are there anymore. Unless Suckling gets it every time, Boyd or Jong will have to kick it = not good. And yes he's a horrible kick.

Didn't you see him drill that 20m pass to T Boyd clear on a lead on the weekend? If went flat and hard and wouldn't have gone above knee height, sure it bounced halfway and was a turnover, but if it had've made the distance on the full and T Boyd could actually mark something kicked that hard from such close range it would've looked spectacular.

comrade
19-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Didn't you see him drill that 20m pass to T Boyd clear on a lead on the weekend? If went flat and hard and wouldn't have gone above knee height, sure it bounced halfway and was a turnover, but if it had've made the distance on the full and T Boyd could actually mark something kicked that hard from such close range it would've looked spectacular.

Made me tear my hair out.

1eyedog
19-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Yep and clearly Tom Boyd should have worked harder to mark that. I mean, what the hell are we paying him for anyway?

Greystache
19-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Made me tear my hair out.

Come one, it brought a tear to my eye. A player with limited skills refusing to accept reality even after 260 games and approaching his mid 30's, that's heroic! I said quietly "never change Matthew", of course you couldn't hear me over the vitriol being screamed by all and sundry around me, but part of me wants to think he heard me :D

jeemak
20-04-2016, 12:52 AM
There were a lot of reasons to be pissed off in a six goal win - which was refreshing - and that was definitely one of them.

I think we need to reward Honeychurch for some good for this week. I've said my piece earlier, I'll wait for our outs to become clear later in the week but he needs to play for mine.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Jordan has a sore ankle and I believe some other minor issues.
I'd give him a rest, and bring in Tom C. Roughy has been fantastic and might I remind everyone of my 2016 prediction he would come good? What else could we ask of him at this point? Rucking, stealing goals, competing around the ground and taking the high ball down back. Well deserved rest.

Caleb Daniel I would rest, and give Honeychurch a try. We've found a stellar talent in Daniel, but let's not get excited and forget how little footy he has played and manage this talent.

Jack Redpath for Tom Boyd

Play Adcock forward and let him rub a bit of salt into the wounds of his old club.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Webb has to play. We need an injection of good ball use particularly with JJ and Murph out. I'll eat my hat if he doesn't play.

I'd consider Dale for that outside run and Honeychurch for forward pressure. Dickson a maybe, depending on how he trains.

I'd rest anyone who is sore, because we need a fit squad v Norf.

1eyedog
20-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Jordan has a sore ankle and I believe some other minor issues.
I'd give him a rest, and bring in Tom C. He has been fantastic and might I remind everyone of my 2016 prediction he would come good? What else could we ask of him at this point? Rucking, stealing goals, competing around the ground and taking the high ball down back. Well deserved rest.

Caleb Daniel I would rest, and give Honeychurch a try. We've found a stellar talent in Daniel, but let's not get excited and forget how little footy he has played and manage this talent.

Jack Redpath for Tom Boyd

Play Adcock forward and let him rub a bit of salt into the wounds of his old club.

I'm not sure TC's shoulder is right.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure TC's shoulder is right.

Unleash Wilbur!!!

G-Mo77
21-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Any further word on Boyd. I'm guessing he'll miss but the silence is deafening.

jeemak
21-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Without knowing Tom Boyd's condition it's making things hard. I'm expecting him to miss.

In - Wood, Honeychurch, Redpath, Dickson
Out - JJ, Jong, Boyd, McLean

I think we need to get Dickson up to AFL pace as soon as possible in light of who we're playing the following week. I expect him to be rusty and possibly a bit quiet.

I've put Redpath in, if TC's fit he could probably play the role. Whilst his forward craft is going to take a while, Tom Boyd's rucking has been invaluable and I much prefer him to play than either Red or TC.

comrade
21-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with TC. The Age incorrectly mentioned him having a shoulder injury when they should have referred to Boyd.

For mine, he is well ahead of Redpath.

jeemak
21-04-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with TC. The Age incorrectly mentioned him having a shoulder injury when they should have referred to Boyd.

Thanks. I think it depends whether we want a forward or a ruck.

Ozza
21-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Brisbane have been beaten up by key forwards so far this season;

Rd 1: Kennedy 8, Darling 2
Rd 2: Waite 5, Brown 3
Rd 3: Hawkins 4, Kersten 3
Rd 4: Lynch 5

Think it could be a good week to play Redpath. Regardless of whether Boyd is in or not.

LostDoggy
21-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Webb has to play. We need an injection of good ball use particularly with JJ and Murph out. I'll eat my hat if he doesn't play.

I'd consider Dale for that outside run and Honeychurch for forward pressure. Dickson a maybe, depending on how he trains.

I'd rest anyone who is sore, because we need a fit squad v Norf.

I dont disagree with any of this but I'd like to know what type of hat you prefer just in case..

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I dont disagree with any of this but I'd like to know what type of hat you prefer just in case..

Chocolate ;)

1eyedog
21-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Were you at the Tigers game? Came off and didn't go back on. I'll be surprised if he's picked.

Happy Days
21-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Brisbane have been beaten up by key forwards so far this season;

Rd 1: Kennedy 8, Darling 2
Rd 2: Waite 5, Brown 3
Rd 3: Hawkins 4, Kersten 3
Rd 4: Lynch 5

Think it could be a good week to play Redpath. Regardless of whether Boyd is in or not.

Or a good week to not change the existing forward line and play them back into some form? I'd play Boyd one out personally.

divvydan
21-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Team named.

In: Wood, Campbell, Dickson, Dale.
Out: T.Boyd (inj), JJ (inj), Hamling (omitted), McLean (rested)

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 07:36 PM
I like Hamling going out for Wood. Wood, Adams and Morris worked out fine in Round 1 and 2. Will help add mobility with loss of Bob and JJ.

comrade
21-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Great ins.

Shame that Boyd is out, but he battled last week before the injury anyway so a week off might be good for him.

GVGjr
21-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Team named.

In: Wood, Campbell, Dickson, Dale.
Out: T.Boyd (inj), JJ (inj), Hamling (omitted), McLean (rested)

I'm surprised by the decision to drop Hamling especially with a game against North the following week.
I also thought Dickson might have needed another week.

So it's Campbell as the FF giving Roughead a chop out.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2016, 07:44 PM

Got the ins, not the outs. This match committee are getting pretty predictable... :)

bornadog
21-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm surprised by the decision to drop Hamling especially with a game against North the following week.
I also thought Dickson might have needed another week.

So it's Campbell as the FF giving Roughead a chop out.

Not sure why we would drop Hamling, perhaps the matchups don't work with him in.

bornadog
21-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Great ins.

Shame that Boyd is out, but he battled last week before the injury anyway so a week off might be good for him.

Last week Boyd was the first player this year to not get double digit possessions for us. No doubt he would of if it wasn't for the injury.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Not sure why we would drop Hamling, perhaps the matchups don't work with him in.

I think Beveridge views Wood as basically more a tall forward than a high defender. Though our 'tall' options of Wood, Morris and Adams worked well in Round 1 and 2. Biggs supports them too. It's more of a team defence rather than match ups based. Will help create run and rebound.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I like it, bit hard on Hamling but we need to keep the run. Wood & Dale to the back flanks are a good thing. Dickson is a good in and really, it's a game where we can ease him in. Campbell for Boyd makes sense. When Boyd is fit it will make for an interesting decision. Roughy has taken the first ruck role, but Campbell gets a chance to take it off him. Overall, happy.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2016, 07:50 PM
The fine print: Keiran Collin, emergency. I can't wait to see Dad in the side.

lemmon
21-04-2016, 07:54 PM
I'm hoping Roughy continues to spend the majority of time in the ruck and Campbell plays as a forward in the same split Tom Boyd would. We've got a good thing going with Rough in the ruck and he has rarely impressed as a key forward.

comrade
21-04-2016, 07:56 PM
With Hamling out, we can send Roughy back when TC is rucking.

Eastdog
21-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Sure we have some quality players out but we have some quality ins this week. Excited by all 3 inclusions. Really like to see how Campbell goes. Dickson is good and hopefully get some goals and Wood.

Eastdog
21-04-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm hoping Roughy continues to spend the majority of time in the ruck and Campbell plays as a forward in the same split Tom Boyd would. We've got a good thing going with Rough in the ruck and he has rarely impressed as a key forward.

Campbell does alright up forward but agree Roughy not as effective up there. I really hope on Saturday we get some nice clean marks inside 50 and take full advantage of our opportunities. Need Stringer to have a good game. Our delivery to the forward has been very good as a few years ago we wouldn't have been saying that.

Remi Moses
21-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Probably the only surprise is Hamling ( bit stiff)
Thought they might bring Redpath for Tom Boyd, but nice to see Dicko and Easton in the side.

lemmon
21-04-2016, 08:26 PM

Not sure there's a match up. I'd back in Adams, Morris and Wood to do a fair job on Schache and Walker

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 08:41 PM

It at least gives us the option if someone goes down or Campbell/Roughy aren't helping up forward. I really like the ins, so bold.

soupman
21-04-2016, 08:45 PM
As usual the Match Committee backs ourselves in. I'm loving how we never seem to make changes to accommodate the opposition, we just trust our setup to get the job done. Instead of us being worried about Brisbanes tall forwardline I imagine they are worried about our mobile defence.

Dry Rot
21-04-2016, 08:54 PM
I like Hamling going out for Wood. Wood, Adams and Morris worked out fine in Round 1 and 2. Will help add mobility with loss of Bob and JJ.

I dunno. If I was Hamling and I end up spending more time in the 2s than the firsts this year, I'd be asking for a trade at the end of the season.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 09:09 PM
I dunno. If I was Hamling and I end up spending more time in the 2s than the firsts this year, I'd be asking for a trade at the end of the season.

Even if true, not sure I would comprise our best 22 to appease the whims of a fringe player.

I heavily doubt he will. Before us, he didn't get a game with Geelong over what? 3 years? Part of being in a gun side, hard to get in.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Long term I see the backline being: Collins, Adams, Z.Cordy, Wood, JJ, Biggs. Maybe another runner like Webb rotating through midfield and/or Suckling.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Even if true, not sure I would comprise our best 22 to appease the whims of a fringe player.

I heavily doubt he will. Before us, he didn't get a game with Geelong over what? 3 years? Part of being in a gun side, hard to get in.

He could always play even better, train even harder and make it impossible to drop him. That seems to be his attitude too which is a good thing.

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 09:15 PM
He could always play even better, train even harder and make it impossible to drop him. That seems to be his attitude too which is a good thing.

Yep. I think that''s more Hamling that I've seen than just leaving because he feels he should be in the side. I agree with GVG that he has the speed but doesn't show it in games.

azabob
21-04-2016, 09:26 PM
So who is starts as first ruck? If it's Campbell where does Roughead play?

Eastdog
21-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Would he play back possibly could play forward.

LostDoggy
21-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Dickson is good and hopefully get some goals and Wood.

;)
Pretty sure if Dicko ;) kicks a couple of goals he might get Wood Easty ;)

Eastdog
21-04-2016, 09:57 PM
;)

Wood to play a defensive role.

LostDoggy
21-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Wood/Webb for JJ (Webb if Wood isn't ready)
Campbell for Boyd (Sharing ruck and FF with Ruff, I know he's not a popular choice as a forward but neither is anyone else.. at least we would have the flexibility between TC, Ruff, Hammy and the Grizz)
Dead Eye Dicko for McLean (Big fan of Tobes but its very early in his career and a couple of Scray games would be good for him)

Maybe: Dale for Jong (skill upgrade)

Thats pretty close!

Rocco Jones
21-04-2016, 10:18 PM

I think it will be a flexible combo.

Probably start with Roughy having majority of time in the ruck with Campbell forward but we can mix it up if one/both are struggling and even put Roughy down back if need be (doubt it, but option is there).

azabob
21-04-2016, 10:34 PM
I think it will be a flexible combo.

Probably start with Roughy having majority of time in the ruck with Campbell forward but we can mix it up if one/both are struggling and even put Roughy down back if need be (doubt it, but option is there).

It will be an interesting balancing act. I see both as primarily number one rucks and not so flash at any other role.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell play majority game in the ruck as I think he was our preferred option until he injured himself in the last practice game.

always right
21-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Long term I see the backline being: Collins, Adams, Z.Cordy, Wood, JJ, Biggs. Maybe another runner like Webb rotating through midfield and/or Suckling.
I've seen little from Cordy that suggests he will be a better longer term prospect than Hamling. Not saying he won't be......just haven't seen much evidence.

bornadog
21-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Hamling named at FF in VFL. I guess he will be tested there before coming back in to the seniors in a forward role?

kruder
21-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Fingers crossed Dale can have a breakout game. Once he feels he belongs at the level he will improve significantly.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2016, 11:51 PM
I've seen little from Cordy that suggests he will be a better longer term prospect than Hamling. Not saying he won't be......just haven't seen much evidence.

Agreed.

Yet to be convinced on Zaine, albeit at this very early stage.

1eyedog
22-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Probably the only surprise is Hamling ( bit stiff)
Thought they might bring Redpath for Tom Boyd, but nice to see Dicko and Easton in the side.

Thought HC a bit stiff too. What does he have to do? BOG two weeks in a row. Surprised at TCs inclusion - he looked really sore last weekend.

azabob
22-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Very early on Z.Cordy. Only his second year and he missed half of last year with a shoulder injury.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Don't mind the changes.

Great to see Wood and Dickson back, and looking forward to seeing how Dale plays whilst TC deserves a shot and a bit of luck.

Of interest will be how the ruck duties are split between JR and TC, and what kind of role Dale plays, given he could potentially play all over the park but has shown himself to be best at a high forward kind of role so far.

always right
22-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Don't mind the changes.

Great to see Wood and Dickson back, and looking forward to seeing how Dale plays whilst TC deserves a shot and a bit of luck.

Of interest will be how the ruck duties are split between JR and TC, and what kind of role Dale plays, given he could potentially play all over the park but has shown himself to be best at a high forward kind of role so far.

Expecting Dale to play wing a lot of the match, with Suckling required to go back into defence to fill the hole left by JJ's injury.

Axe Man
22-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Dickson is good and hopefully get some goals and Wood.

;)

Wood to play a defensive role.

Whoosh! :D:D:D

1eyedog
22-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Whoosh! :D:D:D

And accepted relatively comfortably by Marsh chin high.

azabob
22-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Expecting Dale to play wing a lot of the match, with Suckling required to go back into defence to fill the hole left by JJ's injury.

Will be interesting if Suckling plays. Didn't train today.

The Pie Man
22-04-2016, 12:30 PM

You'd think this would be the week to rest a few if sore, but then again, I don't think Brisbane are as bad as some might think.

Greystache
22-04-2016, 12:47 PM

He's been a week to week proposition for a couple of weeks with his ankle but has got up for each game so far. Hopefully he's right to go again with week.

Mantis
22-04-2016, 12:58 PM
You'd think this would be the week to rest a few if sore, but then again, I don't think Brisbane are as bad as some might think.

If given time & space Brisbane can be dangerous, but if our pressure around the contest is good and we push back in transition we should win this one pretty comfortably.

But if we allow the likes of Hanley, Christensen, Zorko & Rich room to play in then we could be in for a tough game.

w3design
22-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Good to see Dickson, Sucking and Wood all in the team for the first time this season. Pity Hamling got dropped for the full complement of available puns.

Eastdog
22-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Nathan Hrovat once he is right and ready to go I look forward to seeing in action.

Eastdog
22-04-2016, 01:37 PM
He's been a week to week proposition for a couple of weeks with his ankle but has got up for each game so far. Hopefully he's right to go again with week.

That's good to hear stache.

S Coast Simon
22-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Have to agree. Bevo and the other coaches must be filling the boys with amazing confidence we dont really seem to care what the opposition does as we play our own race and the have to deal with us. Its beautiful to see really

Ozza
22-04-2016, 02:56 PM
If given time & space Brisbane can be dangerous, but if our pressure around the contest is good and we push back in transition we should win this one pretty comfortably.

But if we allow the likes of Hanley, Christensen, Zorko & Rich room to play in then we could be in for a tough game.

I'm throwing Lewis Taylor into that mix as well. He has improved again since last year - and is really forward and attacking with possession now (rather than getting out wide and then chipping short to other uncontested options sideways as was his tendency last season).

Becoming an excellent footballer.

Remi Moses
22-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Contested ball is where to get this mob .
They are very ordinary, and our numbers are off the charts .

divvydan
22-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Caleb Daniel has withdrawn from the team with calf tightness. McLean comes back in.

jeemak
22-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Caleb Daniel has withdrawn from the team with calf tightness. McLean comes back in.

Why rest a player and then recall him?

Disappointed about Caleb.

Greystache
22-04-2016, 08:15 PM

He was named as an emergency too which was weird to begin with. Maybe he was always likely to play.

comrade
22-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Yay, head high free kicks for everyone!

1eyedog
22-04-2016, 08:46 PM

Hoping Honey comes in for McLean.

jeemak
22-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Hoping Honey comes in for McLean.

Well, I was. Deserves his chance, but if he was a chance, he'd have gotten the nod.

ledge
22-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Caleb out with calf tightness is the reason given.

always right
22-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm....calf tightness? Wood missed two weeks with hamstring tightness. I'm tipping a calf strain.

Ridiculous for a second year player...but Caleb is a significant loss.

AndrewP6
22-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Hmmmm....calf tightness? Wood missed two weeks with hamstring tightness. I'm tipping a calf strain.

Second year players can get injured!

jeemak
22-04-2016, 10:18 PM

Wood may have had tightness that lasted for two weeks. He's had issues his entire career save last year, and he's having to play with less rotations. If he had a strain given his history I'd be livid if he didn't miss three at least.

Young kids tighten up, he's been on for weeks.

always right
22-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Second year players can get injured!
Read the whole sentence.

AndrewP6
23-04-2016, 12:28 AM
Read the whole sentence.

I did. I see now, was a bit unclear though.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-04-2016, 01:27 AM
It's pretty odd re: McLean being rested, named as an emergency and now playing.

I would have liked Honeychurch in for this one.

bornadog
23-04-2016, 01:14 PM
It's pretty odd re: McLean being rested, named as an emergency and now playing.

I would have liked Honeychurch in for this one.

You know what it's like, they can't say the word omitted, so they say rested.

Agree HC deserves a spot.

ledge
23-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Isn't it all somehow connected to the salary cap , if they are injured or omitted or rested means different pay structures ?
Think I read somewhere years ago how it worked, can't remember or if its still happening.

F'scary
23-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Isn't it all somehow connected to the salary cap , if they are injured or omitted or rested means different pay structures ?
Think I read somewhere years ago how it worked, can't remember or if its still happening.

Interesting topic, I would like to know more about player contracts.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Great to see the MC take my advice with this week's selections and put the rising star CD back in the kennel to cool his jets.

The lions have had the wood over us for ages. Let's set the Easton Wood upon them!