PDA

View Full Version : Second club locked in for proposed China game

Axe Man
14-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I hope this isn't us, regardless of the financial benefits...

Second club locked in for proposed China game (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-14/second-club-locked-in-for-proposed-china-game-says-gillon-mclachlan)

THE AFL has secured an agreement from a second club to play Port Adelaide in China next season if the proposed match in Shanghai goes ahead, CEO Gillon McLachlan has said.

The Power signed a memorandum of understanding with a Chinese property developer and the AFL on Thursday with the aim of playing a match in Shanghai next season.

Port has stressed it would maintain the rights of a home team without sacrificing one of its 11 home games at Adelaide Oval, meaning the second club would need to sell one of its home games to participate.

McLachlan wouldn't reveal the other club that had agreed to play in China but said all parties were behind the push.

"We have willing teams, we have an agreement with a [second] club, which I won't talk to, and we have agreed to do it," McLachlan told travelling Australian media in China on Thursday.

The second club for the proposed Shanghai match would be reimbursed for its sacrifice in the same manner Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are for playing 'home' games in Darwin and Cairns respectively in 2016.

Hawthorn and North Melbourne have also brokered lucrative deals to play more regular home games in Tasmania.

St Kilda travelled to New Zealand to host Anzac Day games in Wellington in each of the past three seasons in matches the club said were significantly more profitable than home games at Etihad Stadium.

The club that joins Port Adelaide in the proposed Shanghai match next season would also be exposed to a massive TV audience, with the Power already unveiled to viewers on the China Central TV network.

McLachlan said the CCTV viewership for Port Adelaide's round three clash against Essendon "more than doubled the Australian audience".

"I know CCTV are happy … and they want some more games," McLachlan said.

"They're looking to take games beyond the Port Adelaide games that have been locked in.

"It's a pleasing start, but I think you've got to be realistic about it, people are probably sampling for the first time.

"(But) small steps are how any journey starts."

The AFL's next hurdle for making the Shanghai dream a reality is to secure a venue, with turf consultants deployed to examine the surface at Shanghai Stadium, which has a capacity of 80,000.

"There's a huge appetite and a broad commitment, but we've got some stuff to work through yet," he said.

"Part of today is getting momentum and people to come onboard with that journey.

"China is so important to us (as a country) and it's so important for the future of our game and we want to work with as many people as we can to make it happen."

McLachlan praised the "vision" of Port Adelaide president David Koch and CEO Keith Thomas for pushing the match and said all international development money for Chinese expansion would be channelled through the club.

"I think it's a very important deal for them and it will just get bigger," the CEO said.

bornadog
14-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Sheedy was crapping on this afternoon suggesting Essendon.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Sheedy was crapping on this afternoon suggesting Essendon.

Good, and makes sense for them. They cut out the middle man Shane Charters as their purchaser of nun-human grade 'amino acids' from China and can go direct from the manufacturer in China. Everyone's a winner.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2016, 06:42 PM
F@**~ might get to see a game live this year!

Flamethrower
14-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a good way to derail a season. Teams struggle after a 4 hour flight to Perth. How will they handle an 11 hour plus flight to Shanghai? Probably best to fixture the game 2 weeks before round 1, like MLB did when the Dodgers played the Dbacks in Sydney.

jeemak
15-04-2016, 12:42 AM
If we forego one of our away "home games" and get a favourable fixture leading into and afterwards I'm for it to be us. It's a good way for us to land exposure we wouldn't get from playing a Canberra or Cairns game etc.

Interstate travel doesn't hurt the Perth teams to the extent it seems to hurt Eastern clubs (unless we concede they'd both have an additional few premierships between them because of it - the real reason teams struggle in the west at the time and thereafter is because Subiaco is a terrible ground to have to play at rarely), if we do have to go to China then we just need to manage the workload and deal with it. If we're good enough we'll win anywhere.

Let's be bold and embrace innovation. Like Malcolm Turbull without the 300 word slogans and continual backflips! :)

AndrewP6
15-04-2016, 01:38 AM
The idea of growing our game is fine, but what does China have to do with it? I'm tipping most of them couldn't give two hoots about the AFL. Plus the travel...

Pass for mine.

The Adelaide Connection
15-04-2016, 04:00 AM
The idea of growing our game is fine, but what does China have to do with it? I'm tipping most of them couldn't give two hoots about the AFL. Plus the travel...

Pass for mine.

They broadcast the Power v Essendon game on one of the networks over there last week and the audience doubled the Australian audience.

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2016, 08:16 AM
What about the air?

Twodogs
15-04-2016, 09:00 AM
What about the air?

Couldn't be much worse than training at Whitten oval bounded by Geelong rd, Barkly st and Gordon st.

Sedat
15-04-2016, 09:32 AM
They broadcast the Power v Essendon game on one of the networks over there last week and the audience doubled the Australian audience.
That's the equivalent of one medium sized city in China - it's not a big result at all, in a country of more than 1bn people.

bornadog
15-04-2016, 09:53 AM
If we forego one of our away "home games" and get a favourable fixture leading into and afterwards I'm for it to be us. It's a good way for us to land exposure we wouldn't get from playing a Canberra or Cairns game etc.

Interstate travel doesn't hurt the Perth teams to the extent it seems to hurt Eastern clubs (unless we concede they'd both have an additional few premierships between them because of it - the real reason teams struggle in the west at the time and thereafter is because Subiaco is a terrible ground to have to play at rarely), if we do have to go to China then we just need to manage the workload and deal with it. If we're good enough we'll win anywhere.

Let's be bold and embrace innovation. Like Malcolm Turbull without the 300 word slogans and continual backflips! :)

The exposure and the 1/2 million dollars would be very nice. The game should be played the week before the mid-season bye, giving teams ample time for recovery. Timing will be everything as mid year will be summer in Shanghai.

bornadog
15-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Peter Gordon has confirmed the other club is not us.

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Couldn't be much worse than training at Whitten oval bounded by Geelong rd, Barkly st and Gordon st.

Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Shanghai ordered vehicles off the road and factories to cut production after pollution reached hazardous levels, as Hong Kong announced plans to introduce an air quality index that assesses health risks from smog.
A heavy fog shrouding Shanghai caused widespread flight cancellations and sent an air quality index monitored by the U.S. consulate in the city surging past 500 to the “beyond index” category. Hong Kong’s air pollution index reached “very high” levels at three roadside monitors, according to its Environment Protection Department.
Heavy pollution may undermine plans for the financial hubs to attract foreign talent and investment and push up health-care costs. Outdoor air pollution can cause lung cancer, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, a World Health Organization agency said in October, ranking it as a carcinogen for the first time.
“The pollution is worse today and the fog is getting heavier,” said Zhang Yanbing, analyst at Zheshang Securities Co. in Shanghai. “I am not prohibiting my kids from going outside because we have to learn to grow up in all kinds of environment. But they are definitely wearing face masks.”

AndrewP6
15-04-2016, 12:45 PM

And then they went back to their lives without giving it a second thought. It's a one off gimmick. We need more than one off gimmicks.

Bulldog4life
15-04-2016, 01:59 PM
We've got the taking over of Ballarat ahead of us. Who needs China?

chef
15-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Good to hear.

jeemak
15-04-2016, 05:33 PM
That's the equivalent of one medium sized city in China - it's not a big result at all, in a country of more than 1bn people.

Of course, and that's the whole point (which I'm sure you already know). Only small penetration would result in huge growth for the league.

Axe Man
15-04-2016, 05:38 PM
http://s28.postimg.org/pp0inypcd/Koch.png (http://postimage.org/)
:D

hujsh
15-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Of course, and that's the whole point (which I'm sure you already know). Only small penetration would result in huge growth for the league.

Yeah, this isn't about being the number one sport in China and knocking down soccer or basketball (I vaguely feel it's popular in China . No facts to back that up). You get 1% of the population of China interested and they're probably the majority of AFL fans now

F'scary
16-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Thank F for that.

F'scary
16-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Good ol' AFL, confusing novelty value with market penetration yet again.

lemmon
16-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Yeah, this isn't about being the number one sport in China and knocking down soccer or basketball (I vaguely feel it's popular in China . No facts to back that up). You get 1% of the population of China interested and they're probably the majority of AFL fans now

My thinking is along the same lines, congratulations to Port Adelaide - they could make a killing and have every club wishing they had done the same

Go_Dogs
16-04-2016, 01:18 PM
The success the NBA in China (for example) demonstrates it's a market that has an interest in western sport, and given the athleticism involved in AFL and how unique the game is, I'd be fairly confident AFL will do well there.

As far as whether it's us, I would love it to be. Any opportunity we can create to grow our brand is one worth pursuing, and given the style of football we play I could see us being a very popular side with the Chinese audiences.

AndrewP6
16-04-2016, 01:26 PM
The success the NBA in China (for example) demonstrates it's a market that has an interest in western sport, and given the athleticism involved in AFL and how unique the game is, I'd be fairly confident AFL will do well there.

As far as whether it's us, I would love it to be. Any opportunity we can create to grow our brand is one worth pursuing, and given the style of football we play I could see us being a very popular side with the Chinese audiences.

Can't compare them, NBA is truly a global league.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Can't compare them, NBA is truly a global sport.

Yes, it is - wasn't always though, was it?

jeemak
16-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Can't compare them, NBA is truly a global sport.

NBA isn't a sport........ :)

A lot of foresight and hard work made the NBA what it is today, one of the biggest things in its favour is basketball's a game that requires little real estate to play - it makes it unbelievably accessible.

The big challenge for the expansion of Australian Rules Football is trying to ingrain itself within cultures that are developing and placing a premium on land and resources to accommodate growing populations. How can countries like China prioritise massive ovals in urban areas over the need to allocate space to people?

KT31
16-04-2016, 02:11 PM

A lot of foresight and hard work made the NBA what it is today, one of the biggest things in its favour is basketball's a game that requires little real estate to play - it makes it unbelievably accessible.

The big challenge for the expansion of Australian Rules Football is trying to ingrain itself within cultures that are developing and placing a premium on land and resources to accommodate growing populations. How can countries like China prioritise massive ovals in urban areas over the need to allocate space to people?

I would also imagine the NBA's budget would have far exceeded what the AFL are prepared to put up.

AndrewP6
16-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Well spotted. Will amend for accuracy!

AndrewP6
16-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Yes, it is - wasn't always though, was it?

Well they've had non-US players since 1946, and since 1992, foreign involvement has gone through the roof.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Well they've had non-US players since 1946, and since 1992, foreign involvement has gone through the roof.

My point is we've got to start somewhere and China is as good a market as any.

Wait and see I guess.

jeemak
16-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Well spotted. Will amend for accuracy!

Can't compare them, NBA is truly a global league.

I'm on fire, correcting AP6 and Martin Flanagan in the one day is the stuff dreams are made from.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Chinese President Hu Jintao after watching GWS beat Port Adealide today by 86 points has apparently said exposing his people to anything this game would be a stain on China's human rights record and as such it will be called off.

Greystache
22-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Gold Coast announced as the second team, that is if it even gets off the ground.

Ghost Dog
22-04-2016, 11:55 AM
China has a problem with investment opportunities. Their market lacks transparency. People sink it into housing, education, but there are not as many safe investment options like Aust, and people always try to send their money abroad. Remember Manchester City and their rich Middle Eastern Investor? Just wait for the Chinese one to do it for AFL.

AFL could catch on but it's like NBA- you would need a few Chinese players to perk their interest. Having Lin Jong on our list might be a bonus ( He is not Chinese, I know )

LostDoggy
22-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Some talk around Adelaide that the match payments are also related to the purchase of a cattle station. Not sure how factual that is.

LostDoggy
22-04-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-15/port-adelaide's-chinese-investor-eyes-kidman-land-deal/7328458

Ghost Dog
22-04-2016, 12:35 PM
They just banned import of foreign milk products into China unless it has a special label. A lot of people here are very angry about it.
So expect them to buy up and set up their own farms and dairies so they can get these 'green stamps' and government approval to import stuff.

Ozza
22-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Gold Coast announced as the second team, that is if it even gets off the ground.

All they need to do is lock down the appropriate venue and it will happen.

Scraggers
02-07-2016, 03:58 PM
The AFL has announced (through Dwayne Russell) that the Bulldogs could be the second team and it will be the season opener in 2017.

bulldogtragic
02-07-2016, 04:07 PM
I prefered the Houston option. We will really play anywhere apparently.

ledge
02-07-2016, 04:10 PM
The AFL has announced (through Dwayne Russell) that the Bulldogs could be the second team and it will be the season opener in 2017.

Could be ?? Well it could be anyone .. Slow footy news day ?

Eastdog
02-07-2016, 04:20 PM
So still only a possibility not certain that it is us.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 04:23 PM

So, if true, that would likely be our home game as well.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2016, 04:27 PM
So, if true, that would likely be our home game as well.

We must be getting a lot of moolah for that to happen.

ledge
02-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Isn't it ports home game ?

Eastdog
02-07-2016, 04:32 PM

Well that's what I thought originally but I think it would be our one. If that is the case then there should a replacement for that one more members as it's an overseas home game.

GVGjr
02-07-2016, 04:40 PM

No, Port have some obligations on how many home games they play in Adelaide. From what I have read it will be an away game for them.

Remi Moses
02-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Western travelling wilboury's

comrade
02-07-2016, 04:42 PM
I have 2 words to sum up my thoughts on this:

**** off.

ledge
03-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Is a one off for heaps of cash a bad thing ?

GVGjr
03-07-2016, 01:01 PM

Depends if it compromises even part of the season. This game won't be on a proper oval and this concerns me.
For a number of years we have tried to cover our financial position with interstate games taking on places like Townsville, Darwin, Canberra and even selling home games to Sydney etc and now we are building a base in Ballarat.

I know the decision will be made with the right intention but I'm a strong believer this team can be a legitimate threat to the flag in 2017. The money would be nice but a flag would set us up for the long term.

boydogs
03-07-2016, 01:01 PM

How much could it be?

$5 million might change some people's minds but is that a possibility?

azabob
03-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Yes it is.

It isn't a one off though, is it? We have been selling games interstate for years.

I'd prefer to play Port Adelaide at our home ground to ensure a true home ground advantage. Suddenly a 80% chance of a win suddenly turns to a 50/50 chance.

Then we have the issue of player recovery and getting up for our next game, whenever that may be.

Ledge, would you prefer a bucket load of cash for the club or to give coaches and players the best chance to finish top 2?

I know what I prefer.

ledge
03-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Yes it is.

It isn't a one off though, is it? We have been selling games interstate for years.

I'd prefer to play Port Adelaide at our home ground to ensure a true home ground advantage. Suddenly a 80% chance of a win suddenly turns to a 50/50 chance.

Then we have the issue of player recovery and getting up for our next game, whenever that may be.

Ledge, would you prefer a bucket load of cash for the club or to give coaches and players the best chance to finish top 2?

I know what I prefer.

If you need it to survive or set you up for the future or pay off your debts take it , it's one game .. You play it early so you have maybe a 9 or 10 day break, the opposition have the same problem 50/50 etc, it also can be a huge team bonding trip.
Positives are their too.

Throughandthrough
03-07-2016, 04:19 PM
will it be on Good Friday? #joke

Bulldog4life
03-07-2016, 05:31 PM
will it be on Good Friday? #joke

The AFL's present to us for not getting Good Friday game

Doc26
03-07-2016, 06:47 PM
So McLachlan, Fitzpatrick and co are heralded for landing a 2.5 billion dollar media rights deal last year which supposedly they own the negotiaton of all such rights, they oversee the ongoing fractured relationship with Etihad's owners whilst the tenant club's (us) bear the huge cost of ownership of their marquee stadium, they oversee supposed equalisation measures but with the recipients (us) forced to accept severely compromised fixturing for the privilege and yet our Club still finds itself in a position where we must continue to resort to such measures simply to maintain its survival.

Giving up a crucial home game in our finals window whilst Port and Kochie are somehow permitted by league headquarters to go off alone and strike their own media arrangement with Beijing and somewhat incredibly without having to sacrifice a single home game for the privilege.

With the health, well being and attractiveness of the competition controlled in so many ways by HQ, I am completely over this Commission and McLachlan and co. for their serious lack of apathy in addressing the growing off field gap between the haves and have nots.

ledge
03-07-2016, 08:03 PM
The haves aren't so much haves now .. Bombers and Collingwoods memberships/ attendances have taken a battering, Carlton and tigers haven't been good for years.
The AFL realises that the draft can make teams go up and down like they say it does why don't they realise the haves and have nots changes as well with results?

LostDoggy
03-07-2016, 08:04 PM
If it is us as the second club to play Port in China the Meltdown on this board will be Horrendous if we were to lose a player to a season long injury cause we played on a sub standard oval.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Hope the boys have their industrial strength 3M pollution masks ready. Welcome to China.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
My point is we've got to start somewhere and China is as good a market as any.

Wait and see I guess.

AFL will never take off in China. They are terrible at team sports. If the round ball game can't take off here, even with Xi Jinping being an all out fan and throwing money at their national team, AFL has buckley's. With a one child policy, young people are treated with kid gloves here. They will take one look at an AFL highlights reel and run a mile. I know, because I'm always trying to spruik the game to my friends at my local in Shanghai. They think it's a sport for madmen.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2016, 08:35 PM
AFL will never take off in China. They are terrible at team sports. If the round ball game can't take off here, even with Xi Jinping being an all out fan and throwing money at their national team, AFL has buckley's. With a one child policy, young people are treated with kid gloves here. They will take one look at an AFL highlights reel and run a mile. I know, because I'm always trying to spruik the game to my friends at my local in Shanghai. They think it's a sport for madmen.
And they'd be right of course. Interesting to get your perspective from China. Maybe enough of an audience could be captured to get a leg in and as the singer Paul Kelly noted about Mabo, from little things big things grow. Maybe they could take AFL as a spectator sport even though they don't see themselves playing? Let's face it, it is the best team sport spectacle on earth, even a single Chinese child could see that surely?
It must be a different world over there.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2016, 11:05 PM
And they'd be right of course. Interesting to get your perspective from China. Maybe enough of an audience could be captured to get a leg in and as the singer Paul Kelly noted about Mabo, from little things big things grow. Maybe they could take AFL as a spectator sport even though they don't see themselves playing? Let's face it, it is the best team sport spectacle on earth, even a single Chinese child could see that surely?
It must be a different world over there.

Basketball is the game of choice. A lot of that has to do with their love of American stuff. If AFL players start wearing baggy shorts, we might have a shot! And Lin Jong is our marketing weapon!
Even AFL fans would have to admit, it's bafflingly hard to understand the rules at times.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I thought Collingfilth and ourselves were angling for a Rnd 1 game against each other? Now all of a sudden we're going to China to play Port to count as one of our home games? I'm not a fan of that outcome. Much rather an MCG game against the Pies.

hujsh
04-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Short of having our debt wiped I'm not a fan of it, unless the club sincerely believes it will reap future financial benefits from it.

And why do Port get to play all these away games at neutral venues? What makes them so special?

GVGjr
04-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Short of having our debt wiped I'm not a fan of it, unless the club sincerely believes it will reap future financial benefits from it.

And why do Port get to play all these away games at neutral venues? What makes them so special?

The China game is due to the commitment they signed with the state government etc on playing 11 home games.

hujsh
04-07-2016, 07:35 PM
The China game is due to the commitment they signed with the state government etc on playing 11 home games.

Doesn't really answer why they get so many away games at neutral venues, just why they can't give up any home games.

westdog54
04-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Doesn't really answer why they get so many away games at neutral venues, just why they can't give up any home games.

This. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

If they want to do a deal with the State Government that constrains their fixture, they can't then expect other clubs to do the heavy lifting when they go to pursue other ventures.

bornadog
06-07-2016, 09:58 AM
It was reported over the weekend that the Western Bulldogs have shown interest, but the club has confirmed to The Age they have not been in contact with neither Port Adelaide nor the AFL.The Bulldogs are committed to playing either one or two games in Ballarat next season and wouldn't be interested in the China game unless circumstances drastically.

Full story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/koch-adamant-china-game-will-go-ahead-20160705-gpz8gd.html)

westdog54
06-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Full story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/koch-adamant-china-game-will-go-ahead-20160705-gpz8gd.html)

Great news, thanks BAD.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2016, 11:58 AM

As much as I would love to see the boys at Pudong airport, I would much rather we somehow manage an extra game in another regional area like Ballarat, Canberra or somewhere somebody cares about what's happening on field.

Ballarat will be a sell out. There is really not much else going on and a lot of neutral supporters will go just for kicks.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2016, 03:37 PM
First, they took our land & jobs (They tuk ar jobs!) and now China takes an AFEL game from Australia. Well actually fact checked, they did none of that a stuff except buy a game. Thank god it's not us, it's Port vs Gold Coast in Round 8.

Twodogs
26-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Actually I wouldn't mind it being us. If we weren't already doing Ballarat and Cairns.