PDA

View Full Version : The Best Marks?

LostDoggy
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
No not Kellet or Hunter but who do you marks the Bulldogs have ever had. If you want to include two in any of the categories then do so.

Forwards
Best mark on the lead?

Best pack mark?

Best big mark?

Best diving mark?

Best mark in a one-on-one contest?

Best one grab mark?

Defenders
Best mark in the last line of defense?

Best pack mark?

Special mentions (someone that you regarded as a good mark but didn't get a mention)

The Coon Dog
07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Forwards

Best mark on the lead?
Simon Beasley

Best pack mark?
Bernie Quinlan

Best big mark?
Brett Montgomery

Best diving mark?
Chris Grant

Brad Johnson

Best one grab mark?
Jim Edmond

Defenders

Gary Dempsey

Peter Foster

Best pack mark?
Scott Wynd

Special mentions (someone that you regarded as a good mark but didn't get a mention)
Nicky Winmar/Doug Hawkins

hujsh
08-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Brian Harris would win the best contested mark in defence

Mofra
08-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Best mark in a crowded midfield? I really rate Crossy in this area, both for the current team & historically.

bornadog
08-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Forwards

Best mark on the lead?
Simon Beasley

Best pack mark?
Bernie Quinlan

Best big mark?
Brett Montgomery

Best diving mark?
Chris Grant

Brad Johnson

Best one grab mark?
Jim Edmond

Defenders

Gary Dempsey

Peter Foster

Best pack mark?
Scott Wynd

[/COLOR]

Can't fault your effort there, I would pick the same, except, best big mark, I would probably go for Murray Rance or Laurie Sandilands.

And Kelvin Templeton would have to fit in somewhere, he was a great mark on the lead as well as in packs.

southerncross
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Forwards
Best mark on the lead?
Quinlan

Best pack mark?
Templeton

Best big mark?
Templeton

Best diving mark?
Hawkins

Edmond

Best one grab mark?
Johnson / Edmond

Defenders
Dempsey

Croft (not great but I rated him in this area)

Best pack mark?
Foster

Sandilands and Rance

LostDoggy
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Best mark in a crowded midfield? I really rate Crossy in this area, both for the current team & historically.

I agree because he is surprisingly good in that area. He's not a big mark but they are generally one grab marks.

BulldogBelle
11-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Can't fault your effort there, I would pick the same, except, best big mark, I would probably go for Murray Rance or Laurie Sandilands.

And Kelvin Templeton would have to fit in somewhere, he was a great mark on the lead as well as in packs.

Three worthy nominations. Don't know why people can Rance, he was a solid player and nice mark as you note.

BulldogBelle
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Was it Merv Hobbs who took a legendary speccie? Seem to recall hearing he regularly took great marks.
Rick Kennedy, Andrew Purser, Sewell and Dougie were good marks.

Sockeye Salmon
11-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Was it Merv Hobbs who took a legendary speccie? Seem to recall hearing he regularly took great marks.
Rick Kennedy, Andrew Purser, Sewell and Dougie were good marks.

Hobbs mark is probably our most famous because it was in a prelim and he was a rover who took it over a ruckman (Johnson), but Colin Dell took what is probably the best mark a Bulldog player has ever taken v Collingwood circa 1977.

Templeton31
11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Dougie Hawkins by a mile. His marking was the reason malthouse started the Doug hawkins wing thing. Get everyone in the team on one side and leave Dougie on the other wing with his opponent. Those were the days before zones etc..

Bulldog1954
17-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Whole not up to the class of many others mentioned here Glenn Coleman could take a nice grab.

Best at marking everything on the chest and never raising his arms above his head - Mintie

LostDoggy
17-12-2007, 11:38 PM
chris grant for all categories

Cyberdoggie
18-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Best at marking everything on the chest and never raising his arms above his head - Mintie

must be a family trait, huddo was the same.

best speccy mark, matthew robbins took a few nice ones, as did monty version 1.0

also bamblett took a nice one in the goalsquare barkly st end off the back of the pack. Took the mark sort of horizontal and landed on his back. Well at least that's what i remember of it.

Dogs 24/7
18-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Whole not up to the class of many others mentioned here Glenn Coleman could take a nice grab.

Galaxy was an awkward but effective mark but Templeton was as good as anyone going around.

Dog for life
19-12-2007, 01:38 PM
All of your nominees bring back some great memories and make you realise there's been some great marks at Western Oval over the years. The big exception to the lot nominated is the greatest of them all Ted Whitten who could take an unbelievable speeccy and hit a teammate on the chest with a flick pass before his feet had landed.

southerncross
19-12-2007, 09:27 PM
All of your nominees bring back some great memories and make you realise there's been some great marks at Western Oval over the years. The big exception to the lot nominated is the greatest of them all Ted Whitten who could take an unbelievable speeccy and hit a teammate on the chest with a flick pass before his feet had landed.

I never saw the great man play a live game so it's hard for me to rate him in the best that I have seen. There is no doubt from what I have heard that he was an exceptional mark for his height.