PDA

View Full Version : Tom Boyd's Falcon: the Facts

F'scary
17-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Tom Boyd was pushed in the back as he went to fly for the mark by Carlton player #23, Jacob Weitering.

He should have received a free.

1eyedog
17-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Tom Boyd was pushed in the back as he went to fly for the mark by Carlton player #23, Jacob Weitering.

Melbourne Victory carefully reviewing the footage as we speak.

F'scary
17-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Weitering was pinged for pushing in the back during a marking contest on at least one other occasion last night. He's modelled his game on Rance.

Twodogs
17-04-2016, 12:29 PM

You could say that pretty much after every contest he takes part in.

Throughandthrough
17-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Hell that would of hurt. And hell it was funny.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2016, 02:44 PM
The very best falcon I have ever seen. Magnificent.

stefoid
17-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Also, he might have kept charging for the chest mark, but he would have absolutely cleanup Toby McLean. I think he saw McLean in his path and pulled up.

ledge
17-04-2016, 03:13 PM
He will win the falcon award by a mile , better header than most premier league strikers

F'scary
17-04-2016, 03:25 PM
He WAS pushed in the back and all you guys seem to care about is that it looked funny. Where is the righteous anger?

Twodogs
17-04-2016, 03:31 PM
What's a falcon? I know it's a bird but what's the footy connection?

AndrewP6
17-04-2016, 03:57 PM
What's a falcon? I know it's a bird but what's the footy connection?

Came from Rugby league, when Mario Fenech was once the recipient of "The Golden Falcon", a reference to his nickname of "Maltese Falcon".

Twodogs
17-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Yeah. But what is it?

westdog54
17-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Yeah. But what is it?

Any time a ball hits a player on the head inadvertently. Mario Fenech copped a couple through his NSWRL career and they ran with it. I think it's an NRL Footy Show original.

AndrewP6
17-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Yeah. But what is it?

What happened to Boydy is a perfect example. Ball>>>>>head.

Murphy'sLore
17-04-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm so glad you asked, TD, I was too scared to show my ignorance...

The Underdog
17-04-2016, 06:26 PM
He WAS pushed in the back and all you guys seem to care about is that it looked funny. Where is the righteous anger?

Umpire misses free kick? Meh

Ozza
18-04-2016, 10:00 AM
I was sitting very close to the falcon incident.

Wasn't much in the push. I've got no idea what Boyd was doing. It was just another one of the many times where he completely loses the ball in flight.

The only excusable explanation for what happened would be if he lost the ball in the lights.

G-Mo77
18-04-2016, 10:33 AM
I hope the boys fined him for it. You can't have a falcon like that and not throw a sizeable donation into the footy trip. First few rounds on Boydy.

merantau
18-04-2016, 10:58 AM
You could say that pretty much after every contest he takes part in.
In that regard he's becoming our Clayton's Chris Grant. Wake up umpires: the result of the game is sometimes decided by your lack of intestinal fortitude.

Hot_Doggies
18-04-2016, 11:11 AM

Wasn't much in the push. I've got no idea what Boyd was doing. It was just another one of the many times where he completely loses the ball in flight.

The only excusable explanation for what happened would be if he lost the ball in the lights.

I agree. He needs his eye sight checked. The amount of times he has run under the ball this year high.

I know the delivery hasn't been first class , but his judgement is an issue.

F'scary
18-04-2016, 04:15 PM

Before we make that conclusion, it would be reasonable to test your hypothesis verses my hypothesis, that the push in the back caused the falcon, by conducting an experiment like those two guys do on Myth Busters. If filmed, the result would make a good one of those Toyota AFL legend ads.

bornadog
18-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Was Tom blinded by the lights? Libba had an incident last week when the ball went through he hands, and looked like he was looking up and the lights were right in his eyes.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Lucky we haven't all had seizures the amount of flashing lights at Ethiad

bornadog
18-04-2016, 04:45 PM

I hate it.

After the VFL GF, I went on to the ground and I was surprised with the main lights under the roof. I have no idea how the players see the ball.

Ozza
18-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Was Tom blinded by the lights? Libba had an incident last week when the ball went through he hands, and looked light he was looking up and the lights were right in his eyes.

At the time of the falcon, when I was sitting there mortified (and everyone around me was laughing) the two people I was sitting at the game with were convinced that he lost it in the lights. Morris' kick was very high - so its certainly a chance. I really hope that's what happened! Because as I said - I was very close to the falcon...and there was stuff all body contact made to Tom that would cause him to fly for the ball and miss it like that.

Ozza
18-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I hate it.

After the VFL GF, I went on to the ground and I was surprised with the main lights under the roof. I have no idea how the players see the ball.

For home games I sit on Level 2, and generally still sit on Level 2 for away games at Etihad.
Saturday night was a bit of a one-off for me sitting on Ground Level - and it surprised me how hard it is to watch the game there. The lights get in your eyes all the time, and throw in the digital advertising - it is a fair bit to deal with.

LostDoggy
18-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Was Tom blinded by the lights? Libba had an incident last week when the ball went through he hands, and looked light he was looking up and the lights were right in his eyes.

One of the Carlton kids dropped a sitter looking up in the last too.

Greystache
18-04-2016, 05:40 PM
I don't think there's that much to analyze. He got a shove in the back while running at full pace, was off balance and headed straight at an oncoming opponent at speed, and took his eyes off the ball. The footy could've landed anywhere, it happened to land on his head.

Cyberdoggie
18-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Before we make that conclusion, it would be reasonable to test your hypothesis verses my hypothesis, that the push in the back caused the falcon, by conducting an experiment like those two guys do on Myth Busters. If filmed, the result would make a good one of those Toyota AFL legend ads.

I thought the increased momentum of the push put him in the exact position he needed to be to take the mark (except his hands weren't there waiting for the ball).

While not as bad as Liam Jones he does tend to run under the ball a bit, and I think his balance isn't great either. Yes you shouldn't be as agile as Caleb Daniel when you are 200cm tall but I think when he starts losing his balance the legs just don't move fast enough to correct the wrong, sort of what happened in the falcon incident.

SonofScray
18-04-2016, 07:28 PM

The LED advertising is a massive distraction and detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

F'scary
18-04-2016, 08:57 PM
I thought the increased momentum of the push put him in the exact position he needed to be to take the mark (except his hands weren't there waiting for the ball).

While not as bad as Liam Jones he does tend to run under the ball a bit, and I think his balance isn't great either. Yes you shouldn't be as agile as Caleb Daniel when you are 200cm tall but I think when he starts losing his balance the legs just don't move fast enough to correct the wrong, sort of what happened in the falcon incident.

Too cruel!!!

1eyedog
18-04-2016, 09:16 PM
What he's doing at the moment as a 20 year old is pretty full on. He's the only key forward in the team and relieving ruck. I think he's knackered and that's why he's dropping marks / misjudging the ball. It would be interesting to see how he performs playing at FF for the entire game, but the MC seem intent on the baptism of fire. He's certainly not getting a cushy ride this year.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2016, 08:23 PM
They will do anything to knock him because people are jealous of his pay packet. He could have gotten more elsewhere.
Tall Poppy crap.

jeemak
20-04-2016, 09:19 PM
The LED advertising is a massive distraction and detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Mate, I can't believe how wrong you've got this!

The AFL listened to the fans and the result was cheap pies on a Sunday (heartburn's never tasted so good), significantly more noise, and lights so blinding you can barely concentrate on the game (and one per cent of the population can't attend due to risk of seizure - can't argue with that!). What's best about the last bit though, is clubs actually get to pay for the pleasure of distracting their own fans even though all they really want to do is watch some footy in peace!

Only a small touch on someone like Boyd is enough to do things to his balance. He's still a lumbering kid, after all. Perhaps some lights got in his eyes. It's more likely though he just judged it badly and made himself look comical.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Boyd's effort has been really encouraging and I think having the option to put him into the ruck and get involved in the game is important now and in the future, such is the way modern footy is played.

However, I'd like to see us try a Roughy/TC combo and let Boyd play FF for a few weeks (shoulder permitting).