PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer - What do we want from him and how many goals for 2016

Eastdog
17-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Thought Id create a thread about Jake Stringer who last night didn't have the best of nights and wasn't very effective. In saying that we all know that Jakey is capable of a lot and has kicked some of the freakiest of goals. What do we want to see from him and how many goals does he need to get for season 2016.

1eyedog
17-04-2016, 09:32 PM
What Jake needs most is for fans to be patient. I think he's still 20? He'll benefit from Dicko when he comes in and perhaps a Hamling also.

AndrewP6
17-04-2016, 09:42 PM
What Jake needs most is for fans to be patient. I think he's still 20? He'll benefit from Dicko when he comes in and perhaps a Hamling also.

Nah, he's 22 on Anzac Day. Agreed though, he needs more support there. To me it seems as though he's trying to do too much, and up the field they're trying to get it to him too much. Dicko in, maybe Big Red, I'm sure he'll pick up soon.

Eastdog
17-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Hrovat hopefully isn't too far away either.

Ghost Dog
23-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Is Jake Stringer REALLY struggling?
Watching the Carlton game closely on a download. play by play, he works really hard, and when he goes into the midfield he smashes it. He can turn the tide of a game in there. I did notice once he sort of didn't chase that hard in the fwd50 but in general, people are just watching stats without watching the game closely.

I don't think he is struggling as much as people say. Love the part where Bevo says " We don't measure Jakes' performance by how many goals he kicks." Does a lot of heavy work for us of many types.

comrade
23-04-2016, 09:36 PM
He's back.

GVGjr
23-04-2016, 09:38 PM
He's back.
Thats the best bit of play from him for a couple of weeks maybe 3 weeks.

1eyedog
23-04-2016, 09:38 PM
I think he feeds off being on the edge.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 02:08 PM

He is more dangerous when he is not contesting the pack marks. Really needs Toyd or Redpath played deep beside him. So far this year, I'm sure that there has been very few occasions when Toyd has actually been positoned in the same line deep as Stringer.

Rocket Science
24-04-2016, 04:19 PM

That, and half-hearted tackles.

Look out, comin' through.

1eyedog
24-04-2016, 05:24 PM
That, and half-hearted tackles.

Look out, comin' through.

Was it Lewis Taylor or Rockliff who got in his face and he burnt them big time moments later.

chef
24-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Was it Lewis Taylor or Rockliff who got in his face and he burnt them big time moments later.

Rockliff, he must yap a bit on field as a few players went after him

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 05:52 PM
He was good last night.

lemmon
24-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Seems to be spending significantly more time in the middle than last year. I like it, he brings the explosive pace around the contest not many others do

bornadog
24-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Seems to be spending significantly more time in the middle than last year. I like it, he brings the explosive pace around the contest not many others do

Actually up until last night, Bevo said he hasn't spent as much time in the middle as last year. That may be changing from now on.

The Underdog
28-04-2016, 07:52 AM
There were a couple of dogs supporters sitting next to me the other night who couldn't stop bagging Jake. It was ridiculous. I get that there's an increased expectation on his and the teams performance but it's almost like people forget that 2 years ago we were pretty much rubbish. Enjoy it people, enjoy it.

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 08:20 AM
There were a couple of dogs supporters sitting next to me the other night who couldn't stop bagging Jake. It was ridiculous. I get that there's an increased expectation on his and the teams performance but it's almost like people forget that 2 years ago we were pretty much rubbish. Enjoy it people, enjoy it.

I challenge the premise!

Twodogs
28-04-2016, 08:59 AM
I challenge the premise!

Yep. They might have been dressed like dogs supporters...

Bulldog4life
28-04-2016, 09:50 AM

People like that I just can't help myself telling them what I think about them.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah I would be the same. Some types just go to the footy to be angry about the world.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I'd love to see Jakey own Norf and win us the game.

Norf are flogs.

Twodogs
28-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Well said TBB.

Eloquent.

Dancin' Douggy
28-04-2016, 09:47 PM
This is what I want from Jake Stringer. The world.
When do I want it? Pretty soon actually

Go_Dogs
30-04-2016, 01:10 AM
I want Jake out of the forward line and into the midfield, or potentially, off a half back flank.

We're simply not getting anywhere near enough from him at the moment and his tendency to play like a millionaire is becoming very frustrating when the going gets tough. He's going to be a very good player for us for a long period of time, but at the minute, we need to do something to break the cycle.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-04-2016, 02:01 AM
If Stringer were Redpath, he would have been dropped by now.

It's one thing to be out of form, it's another to be selfish and playing like a millionaire. He's been playing like this for a while and I wouldn't be upset if he was sent back to the VFL to correct the basics and play committed team football, because he is playing as an individual and it's awful to watch.

Big call I know, but I don't like anyone being given a free pass to play as he is, regardless of his talent.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 02:08 AM
If Stringer were Redpath, he would have been dropped by now.

It's one thing to be out of form, it's another to be selfish and playing like a millionaire. He's been playing like this for a while and I wouldn't be upset if he was sent back to the VFL to correct the basics and play committed team football, because he is playing as an individual and it's awful to watch.

Big call I know, but I don't like anyone being given a free pass to play as he is, regardless of his talent.

Yep totally agree. He's taking the easy option all time and if it weren't for the volume of ball being directed at him and the occasional pieces of brilliance we'd be saying he's a real weakness at the moment. Boyd would be getting questions asked of him and Redpath would be a delisting candidate with similar output.

lemmon
30-04-2016, 02:29 AM
I want Jake out of the forward line and into the midfield, or potentially, off a half back flank.

We're simply not getting anywhere near enough from him at the moment and his tendency to play like a millionaire is becoming very frustrating when the going gets tough. He's going to be a very good player for us for a long period of time, but at the minute, we need to do something to break the cycle.

Agree completely. I thought he was very good up around the footy in the first half, he was able to carry the ball away from congestion on a number of occasions - something we're missing with the current injury list. That period where he was on the ball and Bont was deep forward was our best little stint in the game.

I'd like to see Dickson plays closer to home and Redpath/Boyd come in so we can give Stringer more substantial midfield minutes.

I do think we have to remember we're playing a 22 year old, 6'2, not quite key position size player out of the square as our main focal point, and relying on him to kick a large portion of our score while matched up on the best opposition backman every week...it's a lot of pressure. The more support we give him the better, he hasn't had a heap of it so far.

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 02:37 AM
There was one passage of play in the third quarter (I think) one of our players had the ball on a fast break. Only Stringer and Thompson ahead of the ball 70 metres away. Stringer turned his back and kept running towards goal looking for the easy out the back. Our player had no option but to kick, unfortunately couldn't kick 85 metres to get it to him and Thompson cuts it off..

He refuses to spoil the ball if he's out of position also. Just basic stuff.

His set shots are horrific.

LostDoggy
30-04-2016, 08:45 AM
We need to persist with Jake but give him more support

Rance Fan
30-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Stringer needs to be a strong lead then maybe double back player. Did it once or twice last night and looked good.
Too often hes hiding at the back looking for the cheap one over or attempting the unrealistic specky.
He just needs to do the basic hard work and kick straight. He needs to realise its not all about him all of the time.
In his defense he needs a bigger guy to be the key big man and the midfielder cant always just bomb it long!

1eyedog
30-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Jakes 6'4 (192 cm) in every single official height recording I've seen not 6'2 (188 cm).

Carry on...

chef
30-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Stringers being wasted with his back to the goal. Would love to see him get more of a stint off half back.

AndrewP6
30-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Jakes 6'4 (192 cm) in every single official height recording I've seen not 6'2 (188 cm).

Carry on...

192cm is 6 foot, 3.5 inches according to my research.

bornadog
30-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Any one calling for Stringer to be dropped has got rocks in their head. He created a few goals and was the only tall player in the forward line up against Tarrant 196, Thompson 193, and all we did was kick it above his head. Stringer had no option but to try and fly for the mark.

The guy is a gun and trying to do it all himself.

Bulldog4life
30-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Any one calling for Stringer to be dropped has got rocks in their head. He created a few goals and was the only tall player in the forward line up against Tarrant 196, Thompson 193, and all we did was kick it above his head. Stringer had no option but to try and fly for the mark.

The guy is a gun and trying to do it all himself.

Jake won't be dropped. He just needs more help in the forward line, such as Tommy Boyd or Redders, and better delivery.

Scorlibo
01-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Jake needs to use his body to better effect in marking contests. What's the use in being abnormally strong if he just shirks the contest when the ball's in the air? Like Tarzan when the ball is on the deck, like Jane when it's in the air - difficult to comprehend. Even if he doesn't have the mitts to take the mark consistently, if he can occupy the space where the ball drops and control the ball to ground then he's a red hot chance to create a goal for the team.

jeemak
01-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Jake needs to use his body to better effect in marking contests. What's the use in being abnormally strong if he just shirks the contest when the ball's in the air? Like Tarzan when the ball is on the deck, like Jane when it's in the air - difficult to comprehend. Even if he doesn't have the mitts to take the mark consistently, if he can occupy the space where the ball drops and control the ball to ground then he's a red hot chance to create a goal for the team.

That's too simple for Jake - The Package - Stringer.

1eyedog
01-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Jack Redpath is not the answer and should be delisted at the end of the year. Campbell forward as much as possible until Boyd returns.

Eastdog
01-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Jack Redpath is not the answer and should be delisted at the end of the year. Campbell forward as much as possible until Boyd returns.

Must be really poor in the VFL.

Scorlibo
02-05-2016, 12:23 PM
That's too simple for Jake - The Package - Stringer.

Except I get the impression that Jake is fairly coachable, and they're coachable skills. He's not the package whilst being inept in the air.

Hotdog60
02-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Redpath may not be the answer but until Boyd can come back I would still give Redpath a shot.
I think there could be some merit in moving Jake to Murphy's role. Didn't Jake play have back at Junior level (I could be wrong here), Jake has some after burners if he needs them and some evasive skills but how's his field kicking?

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Must be really poor in the VFL.

Not at all he's a solid contributor at VFL level. It's similar to state level cricket. Some players really struggle between state cricket and playing for their country. It's only one more step up but the gap is considerable.

GVGjr
02-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Redpath may not be the answer but until Boyd can come back I would still give Redpath a shot.
I think there could be some merit in moving Jake to Murphy's role. Didn't Jake play have back at Junior level (I could be wrong here), Jake has some after burners if he needs them and some evasive skills but how's his field kicking?

I've typically been a believer that you pick the players in the best form and while Redpath hasn't been knocking the door down I do think your logic has some merit. Sometimes you just have to thrown a player into the deep end especially when someone like Redpath has played good footy at the senior level before. The MC should know best if he has it in him to rise to the challenge and make the most of the opportunity.

Eastdog
02-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Not at all he's a solid contributor at VFL level. It's similar to state level cricket. Some players really struggle between state cricket and playing for their country. It's only one more step up but the gap is considerable.

Basically it is the gap from VFL to AFL which big. Good VFL players doesn't mean good AFL player. Brett Goodes is a good example.

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Basically it is the gap from VFL to AFL which big. Good VFL players doesn't mean good AFL player. Brett Goodes is a good example.

Yeah I think so Eastie, although a good VFL can still provide a stop gap (Goodes 22 games) or be a role player (Dylan Addison 88 games).

bornadog
18-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Why Jack Redpath could be key to career-best 2016 AFL season for Jake Stringer (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/why-jack-redpath-could-be-key-to-careerbest-2016-afl-season-for-jake-stringer/news-story/6cea426dba71f3ed17eebb49db28f621)

AS BRILLIANT as he is, even a player of Jake Stringer’s quality can’t do it all himself.
The first six rounds of this season proved that, with the star goalkicker producing a patchy start to his 2016 campaign.
Stringer, however, has found the perfect partner in forward crime over the past fortnight that could set both men up for career-best seasons.

But unfortunately for Stringer, he’s set to be without his new goalkicking buddy this week due to suspension.
Both Stringer and Jack Redpath have had major influences up forward in the Western Bulldogs’ past two victories. And while Redpath’s inclusion — and subsequent excellent output — has helped him cement his own spot in the Bulldogs’ best 22, it has also brought some welcome relief for Stringer up forward.

Stringer was heavily scrutinised following his goalless display in the Bulldogs’ loss to North Melbourne in Round 6. Coach Luke Beveridge pointed out after the game that Stringer had a few “moments he’d want back”, with the exciting forward flying for a few unrealistic, unnecessary marks inside forward 50.

Enter Redpath, who in the past two weeks has grabbed his opportunity and undoubtedly taken pressure and responsibility off Stringer’s shoulders.
Between Rounds 1 and 6, Stringer was targeted by his teammates inside forward 50 an average of eight times per game. That resulted in an average of 1.8 goals.

But those target numbers diminished significantly across Rounds 7 and 8, with Stringer targeted inside 50 just four times per game, resulting in an increased goal average of 4.5.
While the sample size is small, a big reason behind Stringer’s drop in target numbers has been the re-injection of Redpath — a man whose early-year VFL form was far from convincing. The Dogs have targeted Redpath inside 50 five times per game since he’s come back into the side.

And the results have been promising.

Even though he hasn’t been kicked to as often, Stringer has starred over the past fortnight against the Crows and Demons. Against Adelaide, he kicked four goals from 16 disposals before adding another five goals from 16 disposals against the Dees on Sunday.
Meanwhile Redpath has been just as influential, providing a full-forward presence the Dogs haven’t had since Barry Hall left the club.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/eff02ab94774f9274e08730356f12b63?width=700Jack Redpath and Jake Stringer booted eight goals between them against Melbourne.
Source: Getty Images
Over the past two weeks, Redpath has taken more contested marks and marks inside 50s than any other player in the competition. Just as importantly, he’s kicked three goals in each game, taking his tally to 19 goals from his past eight AFL matches.

With both players having significant scoreboard impact, it’s no surprise the Bulldogs managed to register two of their top-three highest scores for the season over the past fortnight.
“Jack hardly ever loses a contest, he brings it to ground so much,” Bulldogs midfield Luke Dahlhaus told 3AW on Sunday.
“Him coming back into the team has helped Jakey Stringer play a lot better football. It means we can hit Jack up a bit and Jakey can get out the back.”

Geelong premiership skipper Cameron Ling told 3AW: “Redpath just seems to straighten the Bulldogs up and give them that big target if need be.”
The big question for Beveridge and the Bulldogs’ match committee is whether the Bulldogs can fit Redpath, Jordan Roughead, Tom Campbell and, when he’s fit, Tom Boyd in the same side.

Boyd, currently sidelined due to a back injury, is still potentially a month away from a possible re-call, leaving Redpath as the Dogs’ No. 1 tall forward for at least the next few weeks.

In 2015, the Kyneton beast played predominantly as a forward-ruck at the Dogs, averaging five hit-outs from his last eight games of the season. But he hasn’t done any ruck work since returning this season, as Roughead and Campbell have taken all stoppage responsibility.
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ff90656938d7d48e9dcc82e0b54e49f4?width=700Jack Redpath and Jake Stringer kicked 15 goals in two weeks between them. Picture: Michael Klein
Source: News Corp Australia
Beveridge said after the match against the Dees that Redpath was “still a developing key forward”, but admitted a quiet patch from him can turn into a headache for the Bulldogs’ coaching staff.

“Jack, and most of our players, have been playing in more than one position. Sometimes, especially with the two rucks in, it can be hard to find something else for Jack to do if he goes a bit stale and we don’t give him any supply,” Beveridge said.
“Over the last two weeks he’s done bits and pieces elsewhere, but he looks like a big threat up there.

“I’ve said all along this year that’d we like to go a bit bigger at some stage, which we have now and it’s working OK for us.”
Redpath’s likely exclusion for Round 9 due to a kneeing incident on Sunday is an ill-timed blow for both him and the Dogs, halting the impressive momentum he had gathered over the past fortnight.

But if Stringer was the head of the club’s match committee prior to Round 10, the magnet with Redpath’s name on it would be one of the first placed on the whiteboard

bulldogtragic
20-05-2016, 12:27 AM
In his last 15 matches as a 21/22yo he's kicked 44.22 which roughly averages out to 67.33 over a season. That's without a regular big KPF to help him out and with Crameri missing a chunk of it too.

100 scoring shots (averaged for a season) for a kid still probably with P Plates on his car. Boyd hitting his straps, Crameri coming back and of course natural development and your imagination runs wild.

In comparison (between games 44-58) Franklin as the best current KPF had 57.36 (who had Roughy & Mark Williams), Jake Stringer 44.22, Tex Walker 44.20, Jack Riewoldt 39.26, Josh Kennedy 38.13, Kurt Tippett 37.24, Jeremy Cameron 36.29, Jarryd Roughead 32.26, Travis Cloke 25.15, Nick Riewoldt 24.15, Tom Hawkins 20.10, Jonathan Brown 14.11 (GAS 64.49)

Mofra
20-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Redders certainly getting some love - being the most popular bloke at the club (internally) probably helps the boys walk a little taller too.
It's not the contract that raises questions over Boyd's development curve, it's the stunning rise of Redpath.

Dancin' Douggy
20-05-2016, 02:38 PM
I'll tell you what I want from Jake Stringer.

Many male children.

1eyedog
20-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Redders certainly getting some love - being the most popular bloke at the club (internally) probably helps the boys walk a little taller too.
It's not the contract that raises questions over Boyd's development curve, it's the stunning rise of Redpath.

Let's not get too carried away. Jack's played two good games of football. Three [of his] games ago he was an amputee, couldn't hold a mark, couldn't carry the ball.

always right
20-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Ton Boyd has a back injury? Out for another month?

Mofra
20-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Let's not get too carried away. Jack's played two good games of football. Three [of his] games ago he was an amputee, couldn't hold a mark, couldn't carry the ball.
It's his rate of improvement as much as his performance which is he positive though. He genuinely has presence and, sadly for Tom, appears far more aggressive and demanding of the ball.

1eyedog
20-05-2016, 05:05 PM
It's his rate of improvement as much as his performance which is he positive though. He genuinely has presence and, sadly for Tom, appears far more aggressive and demanding of the ball.

Agreed. I have done a complete 180 on who our full forward should be at least in the short term after his past two games. After the Melbourne game was the first time I questioned where and how Tom Boyd fits in.

bornadog
20-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Tom Boyd has a back injury? Out for another month?

Wrong thread, but hey is that confirmed? Bloody Hell:mad:

Dancin' Douggy
20-05-2016, 05:42 PM
People need to stop looking at Redpath's game under a microscope and look at the bigger picture.

It's about team balance, and how his presence unleashes Stringer.

Eastdog
20-05-2016, 05:57 PM
People need to stop looking at Redpath's game under a microscope and look at the bigger picture.

It's about team balance, and how his presence unleashes Stringer.

Yep Stringer is certainly freed up and has played better with Jack in the side. Jack's took a lot of great marks in the 50 last Sunday. Really happy with how he played.

Eastdog
20-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Ton Boyd has a back injury? Out for another month?

Really frustrating if true. We need Tom in the side.

Twodogs
20-05-2016, 07:37 PM
I'll tell you what I want from Jake Stringer.

Many male children.

And a hundred games.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2016, 10:06 PM
In his last 15 matches as a 21/22yo he's kicked 44.22 which roughly averages out to 67.33 over a season. That's without a regular big KPF to help him out and with Crameri missing a chunk of it too.

100 scoring shots (averaged for a season) for a kid still probably with P Plates on his car. Boyd hitting his straps, Crameri coming back and of course natural development and your imagination runs wild.

In comparison (between games 44-58) Franklin as the best current KPF had 57.36 (who had Roughy & Mark Williams), Jake Stringer 44.22, Tex Walker 44.20, Jack Riewoldt 39.26, Josh Kennedy 38.13, Kurt Tippett 37.24, Jeremy Cameron 36.29, Jarryd Roughead 32.26, Travis Cloke 25.15, Nick Riewoldt 24.15, Tom Hawkins 20.10, Jonathan Brown 14.11 (GAS 64.49)

Bump for you TD. All the other stats are double Jake give or take over 0-60 games. Just to highlight what a freak GAS was considering he was also cut by Hawthorn, barely training and anything but an elite athlete. Just talent pure and simple.

Twodogs
05-06-2016, 01:01 AM
Bump for you TD. All the other stats are double Jake give or take over 0-60 games. Just to highlight what a freak GAS was considering he was also cut by Hawthorn, barely training and anything but an elite athlete. Just talent pure and simple.

Jack Rievoldt has more in that period than I would have thought.

Bulldog4life
05-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Added to that Ablett played all his early games on a wing at Hawthorn.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Thought Jake was quite brilliant yesterday. Got the momentum going our way with some of his explosive efforts, and had huge impact with his possessions.

Obviously his goals were amazing, but I also loved when he flew for the ball on the members wing, and somehow recovered and ran straight past the eagles player to get the footy and start a chain that finished in an important goal.

KT31
06-06-2016, 12:38 PM
His centre grunt work and ability to shake the tackler really impressed me yesterday.

Bulldog4life
06-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Thought Jake was quite brilliant yesterday. Got the momentum going our way with some of his explosive efforts, and had huge impact with his possessions.

Obviously his goals were amazing, but I also loved when he flew for the ball on the members wing, and somehow recovered and ran straight past the eagles player to get the footy and start a chain that finished in an important goal.

Yes that was great. The Eagle player Yeo is one of their fastest players too. Jake just burnt him off.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2016, 01:47 PM
His work rate yesterday was as good as it's ever been. That needs to be the standard.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2016, 02:28 PM
We've had only a few outstanding talents who could literally play any position on the ground. Having Jake & Marcus at the same time for a decade do it is something very special. Both guys could be like Pavlich and get AA in any position outside the ruck.

merantau
06-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Love watching Jake take on the tacklers and leave them floundering and thrashing around like beached whales. "See ya later boys. I'm heading goalwards!"

Cyberdoggie
06-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Yeah I thought his best work wasn't the goals he scored but the ability to hold onto the ball, break 2 or 3 tacklers and open the play.
Sometimes we are too handball happy and the opposition plans ahead to stifle our movement. Without our line breakers in JJ and Murph we much slower in moving the ball and tend to move from the wings more. Hence our lower scoring.

Stringer had a few plays which just opened the game up for us collectively.

Sedat
06-06-2016, 03:01 PM
His work rate yesterday was as good as it's ever been. That needs to be the standard.
Yep, his defensive work was excellent yesterday. Spoiling, chasing and tackling all up to the level he needs to be at every week.

comrade
06-06-2016, 03:38 PM
For anyone who has had kids, they know the last week or so is pretty nerve racking. Who knows what effect it was having on JS. The bub is delivered safely and all of sudden he has his best game of the year. Let's hop it continues.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 03:44 PM
For anyone who has had kids, they know the last week or so is pretty nerve racking. Who knows what effect it was having on JS. The bub is delivered safely and all of sudden he has his best game of the year. Let's hop it continues.

As long as the little one doesn't keep him up all night.:D

Murphy'sLore
06-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Apparently Milla was an angel and slept all night, don't like the odds of Arlo being the same... The second one always has to be different from the first!

Hotdog60
06-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Apparently Milla was an angel and slept all night, don't like the odds of Arlo being the same... The second one always has to be different from the first!

Yeah my first slept from 7 to 7 but the second was up every couple of hours.

Bulldog4life
06-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Yes my 3 girls were all different too, personalities included.They still are.:)

ratsmac
07-06-2016, 02:32 AM
His centre grunt work and ability to shake the tackler really impressed me yesterday.

He impressed Dermie as well. He gave him a glowing review saying how he can not only do the Ablett type stuff up forward but he is Judd like when he goes in the middle with his power and speed out of congestion.

comrade
07-06-2016, 08:44 AM
So we've got some media 'experts' saying he's been poor this year, and now we've got one saying he's a mix of God and Judd. Cool.

azabob
07-06-2016, 09:47 AM
So we've got some media 'experts' saying he's been poor this year, and now we've got one saying he's a mix of God and Judd. Cool.

And woof posters!

1eyedog
07-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Love watching Jake take on the tacklers and leave them floundering and thrashing around like beached whales. "See ya later boys. I'm heading goalwards!"

As soon as he was involved in the middle I said kick a goal Jake and everyone laughed, and then he did!

Ghost Dog
10-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Set shots seem to improved.

bornadog
10-07-2016, 12:53 PM
From AFL.com.au

Forward Jake Stringer was instrumental to the Bulldogs' win over the Tigers, overcoming a quiet first half to kick four second-half goals.

The turning point for Stringer appeared to come midway through the third term when he was summoned to the bench after missing a tackle on Anthony Miles that ultimately led to a Richmond goal.

Beveridge said he had given Stringer "a bit of olden-day" spray and praised the forward's response.

"We know how capable Jake is. He's such an important player for us, his brilliance is on show week to week and as I've said previously he's doing everything he can to work into a mode of consistent performance," Beveridge said.

"I don't do that very often, but he responded quite emphatically (and) obviously had a significant influence on the outcome in the end."

bulldogtragic
10-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Stringer on Ch7 said the same today. Said he couldn't repeat exactly what Bevo said.

bornadog
10-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Stringer on Ch7 said the same today. Said he couldn't repeat exactly what Bevo said.

I would love to know. :D

ledge
10-07-2016, 02:55 PM
I would love to know. :D

Nothing exciting probably just a spray and get involved, stop pissing around, more the expletives he couldn't say.

lemmon
10-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Nothing exciting probably just a spray and get involved, stop pissing around, more the expletives he couldn't say.

Bit like Rocket with Lake

westdog54
10-07-2016, 11:42 PM

He's becoming a very relaxed media performer. Very, very comfortable when being interviewed and never seems to come across as arrogant. If anything will go out of his way to point out where he's gone wrong in a game when asked about it.

LostDoggy
11-07-2016, 10:23 PM
The general consensus is Stringer isn't having as good a year as his All Australian year last year.

The stats say otherwise, by round 16 last year Stringer had kicked 31 goals. He's currently tally is 33. He is currently also averaging more disposals.

He did kick 23 in the last 7 games last year, but there's no reason he can't replicate that.

boydogs
11-07-2016, 11:29 PM
The general consensus is Stringer isn't having as good a year as his All Australian year last year.

The stats say otherwise, by round 16 last year Stringer had kicked 31 goals. He's currently tally is 33. He is currently also averaging more disposals.

He did kick 23 in the last 7 games last year, but there's no reason he can't replicate that.

I think he's missing Crameri, he's kicking some of Crameri's goals but the opposition is able to put more focus on Stringer without Crameri in the side

Twodogs
12-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Crameri would be real handy about now. This is when he played his best footy last year.

Dancin' Douggy
12-07-2016, 12:39 PM

It's interesting isn't it. More disposals, more goals, but a worse year? Doesn't make sense.
There's such a mob mentality in the media. One opinion starts a feeding frenzy.
Until the next 'big opinion' surfaces, then the feeding frenzy moves to that one.

jeemak
12-07-2016, 12:56 PM
It was the same with the Bont last year.........he apparently had second year blues.

hujsh
12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
It's interesting isn't it. More disposals, more goals, but a worse year? Doesn't make sense.
There's such a mob mentality in the media. One opinion starts a feeding frenzy.
Until the next 'big opinion' surfaces, then the feeding frenzy moves to that one.

He is down on average goals compared to last year. 2.2 to 2.8. It'd be hard to assume that he'll have as good a finish to the year considering he has less help up forwards without Crammers

Ozza
12-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I think the criticism has been sparked mostly by the fact that we aren't scoring as heavily this season - so it is easiest to look at Stringer first, having been our number 1 forward.

Adding to that, is that the expectations of him in the public, is that he would become more dominant than last season - whereas his output has been fairly similar. Possibly another aspect of this, is that Jake has been a bit 'feast or famine' - having a handful of 5 goal games, but also a few goalless games. What doesn't help the perception of his form/lack of consistent form - is that his 'down' games have been against Hawthorn, North and Collingwood - which have been amongst our highest profile matches.

At the moment, he's pretty difficult to assess.
He is spending a large amount of time on the footy field not playing well - and then he has a phenomenal quarter and can win the game. I think last season he was more consistent throughout games - but perhaps having Dickson, Crameri and Redpath contributing more goals, made everyone watching less conscious of his quiet periods.

The Pie Man
12-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Puts him 10th in the Coleman - pretty decent for a forward his size that's spending a bit of time up the ground