PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 5 2016

Eastdog
22-04-2016, 09:05 AM
This is the round 5 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Brisbane Lions is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
23-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Bank them and then anc them

Testekill
23-04-2016, 11:09 PM
BANKERS

3. Liberatore. The AFL media in general seem to just be shocked at his ability to hit the scoreboard, kicking five goals from five games.

2. Bontempelli seems to be getting into the flow of things, he has also been threatening in attack with 7 goals for the season so far.

1. Mclean played a very strong game; 25 touches and 2 goals on a flank is a great return and he had two goal assists which was handy.

-ANCHORS-

1. Suckling. Not because he was bad, because the last thing we need is another injury to one of our flankers/link-up players.

2. Macrae. Once more he was good but if you're 30 out in front then take the bloody shot, don't pass it off.

3. Stevens. Best on ground for us but some of his clangers were shocking which would kill us against better teams.

comrade
23-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Stevens clangers killed us tonight, don't worry about good teams.

Does so many good things though.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2016, 11:15 PM
B:

Stevens. Sure he's going to make a few mistakes, but his sum total is getting better and better
Winning. A lot of things to work on, but another W
Stringer's goal. Possibly his best. 3 opponents left on the ground & two around him. Just get the basics right Jake, already now.

A:

Inside 50's horrible
Goal kicking horrible
Letting an insipid side take percentage of us in the last quarter

westbulldog
23-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Bankers
Tom Campbell
Koby Stevens - can't believe the criticism on here, hard at it all game in a high quality performance.
The return of Tory Dickson.

Anchors
The goal kicking coach is not earning his $ at this stage.
Allowing them to score junk goals which made them look better than they were.
This : Out
JJ, Stringer, Tboyd, Adcock, Mclean :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Dickson threw himself into everything tonight

GVGjr
24-04-2016, 12:34 AM

It was certainly an encouraging display after a longish break.

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 12:46 AM

Yes the way he went about it tonight was good.

ratsmac
24-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Bankers

1. Stevens - hard as nails. He was in everything and when he tackles it crunches players.
2. Stringer - he has been off the boil for a few weeks but tonight he reminded us why he is the package. He makes things happen when he touches the ball. That goal, wow!
3. Roughead/Stevens/Wallis - they were was enormous in the clearances tonight. They are really starting to gel. Some of Roughead's taps to advantage were all class.

Bankers

1. Injuries again - this can't really be happening. Gee Norf are getting us at a good time.
2. Stevens - can someone get BOG and WOG. Some of his turnovers were so costly
3. Bombing the ball into forward 50 - it didn't work the first time or the second so why do it a 5th and sixth etc. I think they are just trying to go a little too quick at times and it results in the bombing it in rather than slowing it down a tad and lower the eyes.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 12:51 AM
Stevens clangers killed us tonight, don't worry about good teams.

Does so many good things though.

5 clangers from 34 disposals but ran at 73% efficiency - One of his best games he has played for us.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 12:54 AM
Bankers

1. Stringer's Ablett type goal.

2. Campbell's contested marking

3. Morris - Played anther great game.

Anchors

Injuries and goal kicking

The Underdog
24-04-2016, 01:09 AM
5 clangers from 34 disposals but ran at 73% efficiency - One of his best games he has played for us.

A couple of his kicks to forwards out the back were *!*!*!*!ing delightful and showed fantastic vision. His hands to create the goal for Dickson in the 3rd quarter were outstanding.

Greystache
24-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Bankers

Campbell- Best big man on the ground. I think he and Boyd could work really well together.

Wallis- Covered a lot of ground, racked up contested ball, and killed Brisbane at the stoppages.

Dahlhaus- I can't think of another player who works as hard as he does week in week out. He gets smashed and just gets up and goes again. He flies under the radar a bit these days.

Anchors

Goal kicking- It's worse than suburban division 2 teams. It's going to cost us matches obviously, the question is how many and when.

Brisbane supporters- There were 2 or 3 groups of them just standing in the middle of the aisles sociallizing while the game was on preventing people from seeing. The obnoxious pricks even wanted to argue with people for being rude when they told them to sit down.

Injuries- Injuries are bad but injuries to the same type of player over and over are worse again.

comrade
24-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Bankers

Campbell- Best big man on the ground. I think he and Boyd could work really well together.

I don't disagree and like the idea of always having a tall presence up forward, but do you think Bevo goes with 3 big guys?

SlimPickens
24-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Banker-
Tom Campbell- great first game for the year, hopefully the start of a very big year for him.

Mitch Wallis- a brilliant performance last night, absolute beast at the contest.

Koby Stevens- his work rate is truely outstanding.

Marcus Adams- his grandfather passed away yesterday, thought he performed admirably under the circumstances.

Anchors-
The bomb to no one- drove me nuts, need to lower our eyes!

F'scary
24-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Just catching up with the game due to family commitments. So all I have at the moment is one anchor:

Anchor: Goal Umpire for not calling Lin Jong's goal from the boundary. The replay shows it clearly pitched behind the goal line. Shocking mistake.

chef
24-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Wasnt a goal. Bounced on the line and back in.

EasternWest
24-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Bankers

Dahlhaus is a testament to heart over ability. He gets smashed week in week out and gets up every time. He never stops and he never gives up. An inspired rookie selection.

Morris is an absolute gem. Good to hear Jonathan Brown wrapping him up last night. He's made a career out of consistency and looks like he's still got plenty in him. I don't think I could love him more. An inspired rookie selection.

Dickson. A great return after a longish lay off. Showed the same desperation that has made him a regular best 22 player. I think we're a better team when he's on the field. An inspired smoky selection.

Anchors

I love that our guys play for each other. I love that we are unselfish. But I think we've maybe gone a little too far, most noticeably in the forward fifty. Just kick the goal.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Wasnt a goal. Bounced on the line and back in.

I will look at the replay again and get back.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 11:43 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-04-23/fickle-bounce-denies-dogGuys, the replay is on the AFL website and I will swear that it pitches clearly behind the goal line. There is daylight between where the ball pitches and the line.

Greystache
24-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I don't disagree and like the idea of always having a tall presence up forward, but do you think Bevo goes with 3 big guys?

No I don't think he will. I was suggesting a Campbell/Boyd set up could be more damaging than Roughead and either. It would be reliant on Campbell being an effective ruck for 60/70 of the game but having 2 genuine threats up forward could be a weapon.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 11:59 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-04-23/fickle-bounce-denies-dogGuys, the replay is on the AFL website and I will swear that it pitches clearly behind the goal line. There is daylight between where the ball pitches and the line.
No doubt a goal

comrade
24-04-2016, 12:05 PM
No I don't think he will. I was suggesting a Campbell/Boyd set up could be more damaging than Roughead and either. It would be reliant on Campbell being an effective ruck for 60/70 of the game but having 2 genuine threats up forward could be a weapon.

So you're on Team Campbell rather than Team Roughy?

Greystache
24-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Roughy's been pretty good, but he doesn't have the ability to hurt teams forward like Campbell or Boyd, plus his durability each week and within games themselves is always questionable. I'd like to see the Campbell/Boyd set up given a go.

chef
24-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Looks like the whole ball doesn't cross the whole line so I think the umpire got it right to me.

The goal line camera also showed this on the countless replays last night.

Testekill
24-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Just catching up with the game due to family commitments. So all I have at the moment is one anchor:

Anchor: Goal Umpire for not calling Lin Jong's goal from the boundary. The replay shows it clearly pitched behind the goal line. Shocking mistake.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that the ball has to go all the way over the line, part of the ball was over the line but it bounced back into the field of play. It's really just an unfortunate bounce that you wouldn't see happen for years when it happens at that particular spot.

comrade
24-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Roughy's been pretty good, but he doesn't have the ability to hurt teams forward like Campbell or Boyd, plus his durability each week and within games themselves is always questionable. I'd like to see the Campbell/Boyd set up given a go.

Don't disagree, but I do like Roughy's ability to go back if the opposition gets on top and loads up with talls in their forward line.

Each of Roughy, Campbell & Boyd offer different, yet complimentary skill sets.

Roughy is the mobile, link up option that can go back (and forward but in a limited capacity). Campbell is the bigger bull that is good in the air, more durable and is an aerial option up forward. Boyd is the pinch hitter that is better as a more stay at home option.

I think it CAN work with all 3, but I don't think Bevo sees it as the optimal set up.

The Underdog
24-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Don't disagree, but I do like Roughy's ability to go back if the opposition gets on top and loads up with talls in their forward line.

Roughy is the mobile, link up option that can go back (and forward but in a limited capacity). Campbell is the bigger bull that is good in the air, more durable and is an aerial option up forward. Boyd is the pinch hitter that is better as a more stay at home option.

I think it CAN work with all 3, but I don't think Bevo sees it as the optimal set up.

So much of our game is predicated on getting the ball into our forward 50 and keeping it there with pressure. Unless Roughy plays back I don't see room within this game plan for 2 x 200cm plus forwards. It's difficult because I think at this point all 3 have earned a spot.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Looks like the whole ball doesn't cross the whole line so I think the umpire got it right to me.

The goal line camera also showed this on the countless replays last night.

Ok, another reason to look forward to the replay this afternoon.

1eyedog
24-04-2016, 01:24 PM

I think it can away from Etihad where the game is slower and long options become more viable but on the swifter Etihad track I think we have the best small / tall / medium mix.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the rule is that the ball has to go all the way over the line, part of the ball was over the line but it bounced back into the field of play. It's really just an unfortunate bounce that you wouldn't see happen for years when it happens at that particular spot.

Typical AFL rule making. They never apply Occam's Razor, they always go for the most intricate, hardest to interpret option. As far as I am concerned, the much simpler, "if it pitches behind the goal line, it is a goal" would be much easier to adjudicate. I suppose I should be thankful that the AFL doesn't require the Umpires to judge what the ball's intention was. But I would not put it past them in the future.

KT31
24-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Ok, another reason to look forward to the replay this afternoon.

I had a good look at it last night and thought part of the ball had not crossed line, so no goal.
Goal umpy got the call right but still thought he should have gone upstairs.

merantau
24-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Bankers: Dicko's return, BTC, Toby McLean

Anchors: Kicking for goal, injuries, over using it.

Dicko is a real pro. He goes hard from the off and was a great first up game. Big Tom contributed all over the ground - solid.
Toby McLean is an emerging talent. Quick and elusive, can weave, wriggle, shape-change, jink and adjust his height with great subtlety. As he improves this skill set it he'll become more difficult to tackle than a puff of dust.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2016, 02:18 PM

I am on team Campbell and team Roughy at this stage in the ruck. I would prefer playing Tom Boyd at full forward only. Whether Bevo will do this at anytime time will tell.

Ghost Dog
24-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Bankers: Dicko's return, BTC, Toby McLean

Anchors: Kicking for goal, injuries, over using it.

Dicko is a real pro. He goes hard from the off and was a great first up game. Big Tom contributed all over the ground - solid.
Toby McLean is an emerging talent. Quick and elusive, can weave, wriggle, shape-change, jink and adjust his height with great subtlety. As he improves this skill set it he'll become more difficult to tackle than a puff of dust.

Read somewhere, has gained us 10 frees so far this season and conceded none.

soupman
24-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Read somewhere, has gained us 10 frees so far this season and conceded none.

It's actually 13 frees for and none against now, with 11 coming from high frees (I've been counting, although i didn't see the full Carlton game so only have 1 from that night).

Ghost Dog
24-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Yeah after watching Roughy play back V Carlton, wish he had gone back V Hawthorn.

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Bankers

Campbell - very good return and took some nice grabs

Libba - such a pivotal part of our midfield and team - liked his goal at the start of the 2nd quarter

Stringer freakish goals which are important

Other mentions: good return from Dickson

Anchors

Our goal kicking needs to get better. We can get away with it against weaker sides but will make a difference against the stinger sides

Need to use it better inside 50

Suckling injury but hopefully he'll be right