PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 6 2016 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
22-04-2016, 09:08 AM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 6 2016 match against North Melbourne at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Suckling will need a rest

1eyedog
23-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Suckling will need a rest

We'll miss him next week.

Webb for Suckers
HC / Daniel for Adcock

Hotdog60
23-04-2016, 11:19 PM
There's not much to pick from in the VFL at the moment.

No change unless Suckers doesn't come up.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2016, 11:24 PM
In: Daniel, Webb
Out: Suckling, Adcock

lemmon
23-04-2016, 11:28 PM
Does losing another experienced head in Suckling make it harder to drop Adcock? He was pretty anonymous tonight but North are a big bodied, mature side.

1eyedog
23-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Does losing another experienced head in Suckling make it harder to drop Adcock? He was pretty anonymous tonight but North are a big bodied, mature side.
He's been a witches hat two weeks in a row. I don't think he'll be dropped though.

Hotdog60
23-04-2016, 11:47 PM
I though Adcock got to some good positions early to be damaging but our players didn't spot him.

1eyedog
23-04-2016, 11:52 PM
I like Adcock as a player but he has been seriously underwhelming these past two weeks. Needs to make a contribution against North.

GVGjr
23-04-2016, 11:55 PM
McLean was going to be rested this week but with Daniel out he kept his spot and he played well. Does it make him a candidate to be dropped this week?

Remi Moses
23-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Thought Adcock was pretty decent

SlimPickens
24-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Out: Dale, McLean
In: Roberts, Daniel

lemmon
24-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Another key back would have to be considered against North also

AndrewP6
24-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Didnt mind Adcock tonight, made good position a number of times.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2016, 12:22 AM
McLean was going to be rested this week but with Daniel out he kept his spot and he played well. Does it make him a candidate to be dropped this week?

I think it was a bit rested/didn''t play too well the week before out. He was very good tonight and I would keep him in unless he is physically struggling (as with any week/anyone).

Suckling needs a rest, would bring in Hamling for him.

If Daniel is fine to return I would have him in for Adcock or Dale. I have doubts over Dale being able to help us short term against quality sides but Beveridge is more positive than I am and will probably wanna keep him in. Tough call.

I would have Dunkley as the next small in.

Raw Toast
24-04-2016, 12:34 AM
Outs
Beveridge - He's making a mockery of our club right now with his refusal to focus on the most important part of the game. Clearly just taunting us with the dream of brilliance and more than glimpses of us playing the best style I've seen a Bulldogs team play. Obviously he wants to take us to the edge of greatness just so that he can break our hearts once more.

Ins
Peter Rhode - Helped us get Cooney and Gryphon. Now that we've lost them we're terrible at one phase of the game, need some new versions asap.

GVGjr
24-04-2016, 12:35 AM
I think it was a bit rested/didn''t play too well the week before out. He was very good tonight and I would keep him in unless he is physically struggling (as with any week/anyone).

Suckling needs a rest, would bring in Hamling for him.

If Daniel is fine to return I would have him in for Adcock or Dale. I have doubts over Dale being able to help us short term against quality sides but Beveridge is more positive than am I and will probably wanna keep him in. Tough call.

I would have Dunkley as the next small in.

Good calls all round.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 01:07 AM

Surely he can't be dropped on that performance

bornadog
24-04-2016, 01:10 AM
Bevo said Suckling likely to miss one game at least.

Out Suckling, Dale

In: Hamling, Daniel

The Underdog
24-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Bevo said Suckling likely to miss one game at least.

Out Suckling, Dale

In: Hamling, Daniel

I'd be tempted to go along these lines.
6 day break may have an impact.

Greystache
24-04-2016, 01:32 AM
Out- Suckling
In- Webb

Rebounding half backs are really being stretched and Webb is next in line. Otherwise I don't see any changes being necessary.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2016, 01:39 AM
A few posters have Webb penned in as a HB replacement. He has being playing as an inside mid for Footscray. I watched chunks of the VFL game online today and noticed Hamling took the game on a bit.

Webby
24-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Webb's a versatile one. Can play in or out. He'll be a jet 200+ gamer. A great type to have. Wouldn't sell him short in any non-spine role. Safe hands with that kid.

Another Dalrymple selection that was nailed. The club has him developing as a quality all round footballer. Every week he adds a string to his bow. He's one of our flag players in the making.

GVGjr
24-04-2016, 01:52 AM
Surely he can't be dropped on that performance

I tend to agree but if he really needs a spell when does he get it?

hujsh
24-04-2016, 02:32 AM
Do we consider playing Roughie as a tall defender and the back-up ruck, playing Campbell as the main ruck and bringing in Redpath if we need a tall forward?

1eyedog
24-04-2016, 10:52 AM
A few posters have Webb penned in as a HB replacement. He has being playing as an inside mid for Footscray. I watched chunks of the VFL game online today and noticed Hamling took the game on a bit.

He and HC are the best players at Footscray at the moment and he's wasted at HB at that level. At AFL level he'd play HB. I'm surprised Dale got the nod ahead of Webb. Webb has looked more composed at AFL level than Dale. Out of all of last years arrivals who have played Dale looks to me to be last on the pecking order.

I agree that Hamling has to come in to replace Suckling. Hopefully Daniel comes in for Dale. I'd still prefer HC over Adcock but see the sense of retaining Adcock.

EasternWest
24-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Outs
Beveridge - He's making a mockery of our club right now with his refusal to focus on the most important part of the game. Clearly just taunting us with the dream of brilliance and more than glimpses of us playing the best style I've seen a Bulldogs team play. Obviously he wants to take us to the edge of greatness just so that he can break our hearts once more.

Ins
Peter Rhode - Helped us get Cooney and Gryphon. Now that we've lost them we're terrible at one phase of the game, need some new versions asap.

Heh. You're funny.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Do we consider playing Roughie as a tall defender and the back-up ruck, playing Campbell as the main ruck and bringing in Redpath if we need a tall forward?

Redpath seems to be way off at the moment. I am starting to doubt he will make it.

meenies
24-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Saw the Footscray game yesterday and thought Hamilton played well at the start. Biggs like. Webb was the centre general. Fletcher back general and thought he was best down there. Redpath got crap delivery and spent a lot coming up and finding it himself.
So possible replacements:
Fletch for Suckling.
Redpath for Dale (that way could put Roughie down back if need) also Dale did not move around so Redpath shows more mobility.
HC did not play any game so hard to put in without a run.
Webb and Hamilton emergencies for anyone sore.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Merrett on game-day was asked who wins next week Dogs vs North, and instantly replied dogs. Asked why he was so quick to answer, said the dogs pressure is manic, stops you playing the way you want and that defence (dogs) always beats offence (North).

comrade
24-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Merrett on game-day was asked who wins next week Dogs vs North, and instantly replied dogs. Asked why he was so quick to answer, said the dogs pressure is manic, stops you playing the way you want and that defence (dogs) always beats offence (North).

Saw that. He was emphatic.

Rocco Jones
24-04-2016, 12:08 PM
I think Roughy's main strength is the defensive pressure he brings when in the ruck and up forward. He averages 4 tackles a game this season which is particularly impressive for a tall.

I have been impressed with him as 1st ruck and last night he was pretty impressive in the underrated 2nd ruck role. Campbell and Roughy can share the ruck a bit more than most combos. As a combo they were pretty impressive last night.

ledge
24-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Need to stop Harvey and Petrie, they always trouble us.
Be interesting to see how Adams goes with Petrie up forward.

lemmon
24-04-2016, 12:14 PM
I think Roughy's main strength is the defensive pressure he brings when in the ruck and up forward. He averages 4 tackles a game this season which is particularly impressive for a tall.

I have been impressed with him as 1st ruck and last night he was pretty impressive in the underrated 2nd ruck role. Campbell and Roughy can share the ruck a bit more than most combos. As a combo they were pretty impressive last night.

Agree, I felt both dominated Martin and it was telling in the clearance stats.

I'd be keen to play the extra tall with Boyd as well. His mobility and tank are far improved on last year so I'd like to see not have to be the deepest target. I felt we were a tall forward short last night in the first quarter

Testekill
24-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Agree, I felt both dominated Martin and it was telling in the clearance stats.

I'd be keen to play the extra tall with Boyd as well. His mobility and tank are far improved on last year so I'd like to see not have to be the deepest target. I felt we were a tall forward short last night in the first quarter

He's probably a week away from returning so we might see it in effect against Adelaide.

ledge
24-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Boyd will not be playing next week, according to things I've read it's a two week recovery , wouldn't mind Redpath in. Very hard at it and demands the footy, sometimes I feel we don't look for Redpath enough when he does play.

lemmon
24-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Boyd will not be playing next week, according to things I've read it's a two week recovery , wouldn't mind Redpath in. Very hard at it and demands the footy, sometimes I feel we don't look for Redpath enough when he does play.

Is generally a pretty good kick at goal also. Can't have too many of those the way we've been going

westbulldog
24-04-2016, 01:41 PM
outs : Suckling, Adcock, Dale
ins : Redpath, Hamling, Daniel

chef
24-04-2016, 01:47 PM
No one deserves to get dropped after last night(Adcock was good, not sure why some want him out and Dale should get another game, don't like yo-yo changes).

So...Suckling Out and one of HC or Webb In. As HC was the non playing emerg I;ll go with him being the one to come in.

ledge
24-04-2016, 01:50 PM
North tend to give us a hard time with the tall marking so be interesting to see the team we pick.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Still to watch the replay, but am concerned that good young players like Webb and Honeychurch are not being selected. Was very pleased to see Dale selected last Thursday.

azabob
24-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Still to watch the replay, but am concerned that good young players like Webb and Honeychurch are not being selected. Was very pleased to see Dale selected last Thursday.

Who should they replace though F'scray? We can't play all our young players.

F'scary
24-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Who should they replace though F'scray? We can't play all our young players.

I was avoiding saying it but Adcock.

1eyedog
24-04-2016, 03:06 PM
What role did Adcock play last night? I didn't sight him often, his 16 touches and bottom 5 AF score indicates he was playing a negating role, but Bevo doesn't do this? If he was wing / forward 16 touches and no score and a bottom 5 ranked AF score tells me he absolutely needs to be in the discussion of who we drop.

Ghost Dog
24-04-2016, 03:42 PM
What role did Adcock play last night? I didn't sight him often, his 16 touches and bottom 5 AF score indicates he was playing a negating role, but Bevo doesn't do this? If he was wing / forward 16 touches and no score and a bottom 5 ranked AF score tells me he absolutely needs to be in the discussion of who we drop.

Note the way a few GC players were able to burn off Harvey / others.
Be happy to give Lukas Webb a try for Adcock, having had a good game in the VFL. 23 touches, 5 tackles.

1eyedog
24-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Jong averages 16 touches a game from memory. I think they are a good comparison. Players you can slot in just about anywhere.

Maybe you're right. My view is I think Jong affects contests more around the ground. He intercepts, kicks goals, involves himself in clearances and as a third man up in ruck contests and he can take a big mark. Adcock hasn't done any of these things in the two games he's played. I also think Jong needs to do more as well.

I think Adcock will stay in the team and I'm not unhappy about it, but he needs to start making a contribution.

The Underdog
24-04-2016, 03:48 PM
I was avoiding saying it but Adcock.

Adcock was better than Dale, should he be omitted before Dale?
I thought Adcock was ok last night. Certainly thought he did enough to hold his spot, especially in a team which has just lost another experienced head. We're about to play a hugely experienced team on a big stage. Think Adcock's presence might be a positive. If his form doesn't improve then try someone else.
I'm not sure why there's all this hand wringing over a pretty solid win. It wasn't perfect but they rarely are.

chef
24-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Not sure why we need to 'drop' someone after last nights display.

G-Mo77
24-04-2016, 03:53 PM
North tend to give us a hard time with the tall marking so be interesting to see the team we pick.

That worked in our advantage last year. The run we got on the rebound destroyed them.

G-Mo77
24-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Goal kicking coach maybe?

GVGjr
24-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Suckling will be out and the original plan was to give McLean a rest. There might need to be a change or two.

chef
24-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Suckling will be out and the original plan was to give McLean a rest. There might need to be a change or two.

Was talking about us 'dropping' a player as in form, not an injury out/rest.

azabob
24-04-2016, 05:25 PM
That worked in our advantage last year. The run we got on the rebound destroyed them.

The big key is both Murphy and JJ are missing. They have the ability to spoil and run off the bigger guys.

I fee for the above reason we should look to bring in Hamling who is able to run off his opponents.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Out: Suckling
In: Hamling

Hamling comes in to add a bit more height to the backline.

If Caleb is fit, he probably comes straight back in, potentially for McLean if he's due a rest, and otherwise for Dale.

Smads57
24-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Agree with some other posters around Hamling replacing Suckers.

if Daniel fit, then McLean to 'rest' this week.

HC unlucky - if Daniel not ready then HC for any other player not able to come up this week.

Agree with others that Webb has to also be close to breaking into the senior side.

jeemak
25-04-2016, 03:35 AM

Bevo does do it, and all coaches do it. They just don't leave it to one man to play a tagging role any more.

In every team there's a few different bunches of players who run through the midfield defencively or offencively, and sometimes in between. Someone like Adcock gets the least time in the genuine middle area of the defencive bunch, and spends most of his time rotating through opponents as a defencive player.

jeemak
25-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Check out Adcock's influence at the start of the third, from about 1:50 minutes in.

Murphy'sLore
25-04-2016, 09:55 AM
On the way out of the ground, husband and self were discussing Adcock - what did he do? was he playing? didn't see him all night etc

Then switched on 774 and the commentators were raving about Adcock's valuable contribution and what a great role he played! So we thought, what the hell do we know? :)

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:00 AM
On the way out of the ground, husband and self were discussing Adcock - what did he do? was he playing? didn't see him all night etc

Then switched on 774 and the commentators were raving about Adcock's valuable contribution and what a great role he played! So we thought, what the hell do we know? :)

or you could say, What the hell do they know. :D

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 10:18 AM

I watched the replay and focused on him particularly in the first quarter and I though he was quiet but good enough. Players missed him when he was open including when he pushed forward and just 30mtrs out from goal. He was quiet but effective.

While is isn't getting a lot of the ball he probably needs a decent game to hold his spot over the coming weeks.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 12:02 PM
So how do we match up against their inform forward line?

Who gets Petrie, Brown, Waite, Higgins, Thomas and Harvey?

soupman
25-04-2016, 01:03 PM

With the zone matchups are pretty fluid but I would imagine Adams on Petrie, Morris on Waite, Wood or Biggs on Brown.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 01:23 PM

I think Hamling will come in for Suckers and with Hamling he is pretty mobile so can go with Waite. Adams looks a good fit for Petrie and Morris to Brown who is good below his knees.

F'scary
25-04-2016, 01:40 PM
No way McLean can go out of the side after that performance.

Player

K (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=0#t1)

HB (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=1#t1)

D (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=2#t1)

M (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=3#t1)

G (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=4#t1)

B (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=5#t1)

T (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=6#t1)

HO (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=7#t1)

I50 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=20#t1)

FF (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=8#t1)

FA (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=9#t1)

AF (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=13#t1)

SC (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_match_statistics?mid=6211&sby=14#t1)

Toby McLean (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--toby-mclean)

F'scary
25-04-2016, 01:43 PM
That was after he needed to be "rested"

Ghost Dog
25-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Hamling to Waite, Adams to Petrie, Roughy to Brown, Moz to Missy, Biggs to Thomas, Picken to Harvey.
We will give away a bit of height in a few of these, but hasn't Dale Morris done that for years?
Seldom beaten.
Choke them into he forward 50 and cut off supply.

Last time

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said his team had struggled in the air against the taller Roos but found a way to win.

"We knew it was a vulnerability for us and they probably saw it as a strength," Beveridge said.

"They utilised it for most of the night, so it was a good effort to mitigate how many goals they kicked from it.

"There's no doubt they took a lot of contested marks (23-11), but we did well to adjust once they took them and get the footy back."

Robbie Tarrant ruled the air in defence for North, plucking a game-high 14 marks as he cut off countless Bulldog forward 50 entries, especially in the first half.

Throw Tom Campbell in the arc and see if he can reach over their intercept marking.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2016, 04:14 PM

As a few have already stated, we are about team defence rather than one on one match ups. Anyways, there needs to be some kind of match ups...
- I think we will go with Adams on Brown to rebound off him. Whoever is on Brown will be freed up for about a quarter of their TOG whilst he is offering ruck relief.
- Hamling/Morris vs Waite/Petrie. Adams to support when Brown not there too.
- Wood can also also support on talls. Biggs too if they are spending time up the ground.

I would keep Roughy forward or in the ruck. He and Campbell can tag team to help keep up with Goldstein. Roughy only back in break in case of emergency scenario.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 04:26 PM
The other 21 can sort themselves out, I love Picken on boomer every year.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 07:18 PM
What does Roughie do while Campbell rucks?

bornadog
25-04-2016, 07:30 PM

Same as on Saturday - Full forward

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Kicked a goal up forward on Saturday night. He could also have a decent spell on the bench or give one of the key defenders a chop out. Having two inform and fresh ruckman hopefully might curb Goldy a bit.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Campbell and Roughy shared/will share the ruck more than most ruck combos. Not so much a 2nd ruck only relieving the 1st ruck when tired/on bench. I think this will happen even more against Goldstein, really tag teaming him, both keeping fresh.

always right
25-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Not confident this week....just think North's team is much healthier and playing well. Really hoping we bring our pressure as it is our only chance.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2016, 09:30 PM
One thing going our way is they have had two consecutive 6 day breaks including a trip to Queensland.

anfo27
25-04-2016, 09:46 PM
What about Jong as a defender? Has size, a leap, pace and runs through brick walls. Has struggled in the midfield since coming back in and doesn't get enough of the footy to have much of an influence there. North would have the tallest forward line around so he would be useful down there i think.

LostDoggy
25-04-2016, 09:46 PM
One thing going our way is they have had two consecutive 6 day breaks including a trip to Queensland.
This was an issue about 5-6 years ago. In this day and age of professionalism, clubs have the resources to pay for conditioning and high performance full time coaches. Not every team had full time conditioning coaches six years ago - especially a team like North Melbourne who have been under resourced for years.

If it's good enough for professional European footballers to recover only three days after playing a midweek Champions League fixture in a different country, then it's good enough for a team to recover from a six day break traveling four hours in total on a plane.

Remi Moses
25-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Someone has to explain how Cunnington is playing in this game .
What an awful decision

LostDoggy
25-04-2016, 09:53 PM
What an awful decision

Disgraceful.
Will be even sweeter when we smash them.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2016, 09:54 PM
What an awful decision

It's ok, Ian Collins is calling the afl umpires and tribunal as we speak.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2016, 09:56 PM
What about Jong as a defender? Has size, a leap, pace and runs through brick walls. Has struggled in the midfield since coming back in and doesn't get enough of the footy to have much of an influence there. North would have the tallest forward line around so he would be useful down there i think.

I would worry about his disposal a bit down there. He's better off chasing and creative pressure in the forward line. I'd have him midfield as well as a bit of cover for our defense. But as a half back or full back I would be a bit nervous.

Rocco Jones
25-04-2016, 10:10 PM
I definitely wouldn't want Jong at HB.

Footy has really changed. His speed, strength and willingness under a high ball would be great, but he is a panic merchant. HB is for guys with poise.

If he isn't going to make it as a forward with stints in the mid, he just isn't going to make it. Our team is perfect for him. Defensive intensity forward, take his turn in the mid.

I feel because of this profile/cult status fans kinda expect more from Jong. Think of it this way, we got him as a rookie pick. He is now in the best 22-25 of a top 4-6 side. He is batting above so far.

anfo27
25-04-2016, 10:25 PM
I definitely wouldn't want Jong at HB.

Footy has really changed. His speed, strength and willingness under a high ball would be great, but he is a panic merchant. HB is for guys with poise.

If he isn't going to make it as a forward with stints in the mid, he just isn't going to make it. Our team is perfect for him. Defensive intensity forward, take his turn in the mid.

I feel because of this profile/cult status fans kinda expect more from Jong. Think of it this way, we got him as a rookie pick. He is now in the best 22-25 of a top 4-6 side. He is batting above so far.

Was more thinking as a tall defender not a JJ replacement off HB. Bevo doesn't like to have too many talls down there so I can't see him using Roughead & Hamling down there this week. Jong can play tall & could be a wildcard for us down there. I think Dale is a good candidate for a role off HB if he was ready, mentally not up to it at this stage.

whythelongface
25-04-2016, 10:38 PM

Depends on whether Hamling is selected

Adams on Petrie
Morris/ Wood on Waite
Hamling/ Morris/ Wood on Brown

However as others have alluded to match ups aren't necessarily critical to our structure with the main focus being on our defensive pressure across the ground.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 10:39 PM
North are equally concerned about this game. It's their first real test as well [I don't count their round 1 win against the Crows so much as anything can happen round 1]. They look at our game against the hawks and they know we bring the noise. We look at their list and go, ohh ahh Waite, Higgins, Boomer and then they look at ours and go ohh ahh Stringer and Bont and they start to feel shaky. They should be very afraid of Bevo though - he's the key weapon.

If our backs hold their nerve our ground pressure will destroy North. The game will be won before the start of the game though.

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:44 PM
North are equally concerned about this game.

The players and coach fear no one.

The only ones concerned are WOOFERS and other supporters. :D

anfo27
25-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Is the Bont carrying something? Not the same player this year, a good quarter here and there but thats it.

bornadog
25-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Is the Bont carrying something? Not the same player this year, a good quarter here and there but thats it.

Preseason was hampered by surgery and didn't start running till after Xmas. He is getting better every week.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 10:52 PM
North coming off a 30 degree day in Queensland last week as well.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 11:13 PM

Defending like that doesn't seem to be a natural instinct with him. It might be worth a try but I think his better value is as an offensive player.

always right
25-04-2016, 11:18 PM
In defence you want good decision makers under pressure. For all his attributes, Jong's poise is not one of them.

One thing Bevo obviously does rate is Jong's ability to impact clearances by being third bloke up. I'm surprised opposition teams aren't a wake up to it....he's really effective at it.

Remi Moses
25-04-2016, 11:39 PM
They're carrying the oldest side fielded since 1945 !
I think some of their players were born in 1945

Mantis
26-04-2016, 08:31 AM
In - Hamling

Out - Suckling

Presuming that Daniel will miss again... If he returns anyone of Dale, Jong or McLean to make way.

comrade
26-04-2016, 10:29 AM
I honestly think Jong will stay, in part because of his 3rd man up ability, which may be helpful against Goldy.

dukedog
26-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Honeychurch would be champing at the bit for some senior footy. If we cant send someone to play half back. Bring webb in instead. HC would be my first picked to replace suckling. Beat them in the mids and their backline is ordinary.

Ozza
26-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Think Hamling replaces Suckling.

If Caleb Daniel comes in, I'm fine with Jong or Dale missing. Purely on the basis that they are (for me) 21st and 22nd out of last week's side.

Adcock will be important for a while yet.

kruder
26-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Really liked the Ruck duo on the weekend and they will be critical not only negating Goldy but hitting the scoreboard. We are still struggling to connect our forwards from turnover and we a desperate for a lead up marking forward to provide a target rather than just bombing it in. Redpath could play this role but if he isn't knocking down the door Bevo won't play him. Fingers crossed he gets into form soon or Boyd returns would really like to see this mix particularly on a bigger ground.

I'd have Hamling in for Suckling as it will enable Roughead to play forward while not rucking rather than having him to play in defence. I think we need a tall down there for most of the night.

Hopefully little mate gets up would be great to see him on the Friday night stage. Dale out if he makes it.

kruder
26-04-2016, 12:36 PM
I honestly think Jong will stay, in part because of his 3rd man up ability, which may be helpful against Goldy.

Jong has improved each week. Will play for sure.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Adcock will be important for a while yet.

I am still wondering what value Adcock is bringing to the side. Needs to find more of the ball, but I am prepared to wait as he is still learning our game plan.

Mantis
26-04-2016, 01:03 PM
I am still wondering what value Adcock is bringing to the side. Needs to find more of the ball, but I am prepared to wait as he is still learning our game plan.

I don't think everyone needs to get 20+ touches to play a role.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Over 200 game player, managed 13 and 16 disposals for us. What is his role?

Edit. Sorry 1eyedog beat me to it.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 01:08 PM

What role is he playing?

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Over 200 game player, managed 13 and 16 disposals for us. What is his role?

Edit. Sorry 1eyedog beat me to it.

Sorry for jumping in BAD.

I'd really like to know what his role is because I thought his pressure was down on Saturday night.

If he's there to pat bums then I'd prefer to have HC getting 30 in the team. Playing 200 games should in no way exempt you from being dropped. Interested to see how he goes on Friday.

Mantis
26-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Having not been at our last couple of games it is a little hard to see where players are at all times on the TV, but it seemed Adcock on Saturday night that he spent a reasonable amount of time in defence, maybe out of neccessity??

As discussed I'm happy to give him a few more games to see how he fits in and with our team lacking some experience & kicking skills I think he should be given a bit more time to find his feet.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Having not been at our last couple of games it is a little hard to see where players are at all times on the TV, but it seemed Adcock on Saturday night that he spent a reasonable amount of time in defence, maybe out of neccessity??

As discussed I'm happy to give him a few more games to see how he fits in and with our team lacking some experience & kicking skills I think he should be given a bit more time to find his feet.

Pretty much how I see it too. He needs to start improving to hold his spot but given our injuries I think he needs to play on Friday Night. Despite all his experience, it still can take a few weeks to gel into a new team so I am prepared to give him that opportunity. I have my concerns but in terms of theory based flexibility he does provide us with this.

I don't see how Dale plays. He's not ready and he really did look out of his depth v Brisbane. We need to throw everything at Norf and both Honeychurch and Webb offer us a lot more.

OUT: Suckling (inj), Dale
IN: Hamling, Honeychurch

* If Daniel is OK he comes straight back in. Honeychurch's good form needs to be rewarded and I think his pressure could be important, as well as getting to the feet of Campbell/Roughy.

* Still think we need to get Webb into this side. Our foot skills are ordinary right now and he's one who can help improve that. Given Norf's talls, he probably doesn't come in this week but if Adcock/Jong don't improve there's an opening.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 02:22 PM

He's a neat kick but not good enough to stay in the side based on that attribute alone. He's providing experience - great, if that's enough, but sooner or later it needs to translate on the stat sheet. I don't mind if it's in the shepherds, 1%ers, pressure acts, tackles column.

I'm happy for him to stay in too because he has the runs on the board and has proven he can play at this level. Unlike a young player though he has been in the system a long time so I expect to see him more involved over the next couple of weeks. He really needs to step up and repay the faith IMO, some of his handballs on Saturday night make Koby look like a handball king.

The Underdog
26-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Sorry for jumping in BAD.

I'd really like to know what his role is because I thought his pressure was down on Saturday night.

If he's there to pat bums then I'd prefer to have HC getting 30 in the team. Playing 200 games should in no way exempt you from being dropped. Interested to see how he goes on Friday.

30 what? HC has averaged 11 possies and less than a goal in 14 games. Not saying that he wouldn't improve on that but he's likely to be providing a similar or lesser output than Adcock and who knows what other internal measurements the club uses to measure a players value? I trust the MC at this point to pick the right team, they seem to have done ok so far.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 02:27 PM
30 what? HC has averaged 11 possies and less than a goal in 14 games. Not saying that he wouldn't improve on that but he's likely to be providing a similar or lesser output than Adcock and who knows what other internal measurements the club uses to measure a players value? I trust the MC at this point to pick the right team, they seem to have done ok so far.

Week 1 and 2 of his VFL performances this year. I couldn't care less what his career stats are he's in massive, massive form at VFL level at the moment picking up two BOGs and hitting the scoreboard. I watched both and he's at another level entirely.

I'm all for rewarding those who perform at VFL level.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Week 1 and 2 of his VFL performances this year. I couldn't care less what his career stats are he's in massive, massive form at VFL level at the moment picking up two BOGs and hitting the scoreboard. I watched both and he's at another level entirely.

Agree, at his age he needs to be getting better and better, so past stats mean little. It's this year that counts.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Collins in the mix for this week.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Adcock stays in the team as long as Bevo thinks he deserves to be in the team. If he deserves his spot it means he is doing his role. Simple.

SlimPickens
26-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Collins in the mix for this week.

Fletch was the best big on the ground for us at VFL level against Sandy. Would be surprised if he is not considered, like him for a Brown or Petrie match up.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Caleb out for another week, so only one change necessary (Suckling) , unless MC rest any players.

F'scary
26-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Caleb out for another week, so only one change necessary, unless MC rest any players.

Suckling too.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Suckling too.

Suckling is the only player out.;)

always right
26-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Easton Wood...hamstring tightness...misses two weeks
Caleb Daniel...calf tightness...likely to miss two weeks

I've learned that whenever I read "tightness" I should substitute it with the word "strain".

always right
26-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Nearly sh*t myself when I saw this online.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/former-melbourne-grammar-student-easton-woodhead-ordered-to-spend-25-years-in-psychiatric-hospital-for-killing-homeless-man-morgan-mouse-perry/news-story/59b3b2b8d80df3b0de71ca4d529ba51e

LostDoggy
26-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Honeychurch is yet to prove he can make any kind of real impact at senior level. We have many players who can do what he does but better. I don't see what all the fuss is about with HC and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it in the long run. He has no standout attributes and is admired I suspect because he gives it his all.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2016, 05:40 PM

But what is VFL form? I don't think Beveridge measures VFL form in terms of how many disposals a player gets. I think it's about doing the smaller things that mean you can fit into our AFL system.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Adcock stays in the team as long as Bevo thinks he deserves to be in the team. If he deserves his spot it means he is doing his role. Simple.

Where's the fun in that! Every question on this forum can be answered like that.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 05:49 PM
But what is VFL form? I don't think Beveridge measures VFL form in terms of how many disposals a player gets. I think it's about doing the smaller things that mean you can fit into our AFL system.

VFL form is what it is. I agree that if HC doesn't have the attributes he needs to make it at senior level he shouldn't play. He has a number of pretty decent ones though and they've been on display in the VFL. He may be the perpetually good VFL player but never cut the mustard when he steps up but what else do I have to go on other than VFL form?

HC pressure has been fantastic at VFL. How about he comes into the senior team and gets his 15 touches and harasses the opposition like there's no tomorrow? Seems at a superficial level to be par with Adcock's output.

I don't think anyone but those close knit at the club really know the answer of whether he can synergise into our system at the highest level.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Honeychurch is yet to prove he can make any kind of real impact at senior level. We have many players who can do what he does but better. I don't see what all the fuss is about with HC and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it in the long run. He has no standout attributes and is admired I suspect because he gives it his all.

Mitch has played 14 games of footy. Small sample size. I think he'll get his chance soon.

*Sorry for the triple post...

Axe Man
26-04-2016, 06:27 PM
A couple of selection related bits of info from the below article:

Bulldog blow: Suckling confirmed to miss a month (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-26/bulldog-blow-suckling-is-confirmed-to-miss-a-month)

"We've got choices to make around whether we bring a defender in for 'Suckers' or we go with an inside or outside mid in that half-back role."

One player who won't be considered to fill the void is talented second-year utility Lukas Webb, with Beveridge revealing the 20-year-old needed to "grow his game" and "scale up his performances" in the VFL.

Another issue facing Beveridge is the Kangaroos' three key forwards who caused him some headaches in round 22 last year.

Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite and Ben Brown combined for 11 contested marks, although the Dogs ended up running out 23-point winners in that game.

First-year key defender Kieran Collins may be handed a baptism of fire, with the coach declaring last weekend's emergency isn't "far away" from a debut.

"If we pick a tall defender, (Collins) will be in the mix for selection and we've got Fletcher Roberts who's been playing pretty well, Joel Hamling can go back and Zayne Cordy is almost ready to go," he said.

F'scary
26-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Suckling is the only player out.;)

Ok, I was alluding to that neither is available for selection this week. Still getting over the shock of the injury decimation.

always right
26-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Poor run of injuries....nothing to do with playing 5 consecutive games on the hard surface of Etihad?

chef
26-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Poor run of injuries....nothing to do with playing 5 consecutive games on the hard surface of Etihad?

Dont think so. Just unlucky injuries imo.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Where's the fun in that! Every question on this forum can be answered like that.

True. Good idea. I'll use it again.:)

lemmon
26-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Reading that from Bevo makes me wonder whether Bailey Williams comes into contention as a running half back. Cordy could be another interesting option, seems to have the capacity to play as a flanker or key defender offering some dash

azabob
26-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Could Lynch be even upgraded?

Go_Dogs
26-04-2016, 08:24 PM
I honestly have no idea after reading that article today, but it's perhaps the closest thing to an indication that we will bring in a tall defender for Suckling.

Whilst it would be great to see Dad crack a game, I'm now leaning towards Roberts (rather than Hamling, who I suggested earlier in the thread) getting an opportunity first against the more experienced North forward line.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2016, 08:49 PM
"We've got choices to make around whether we bring a defender in for 'Suckers' or we go with an inside or outside mid in that half-back role."- Beveridge

I think the bolded part rules out Williams as he is actually playing as a HB. If we are going with a runner, I believe he means a mid currently in the team who will move to that role. We would then bring in another small to replace them. I am guessing Macrae.

Collins or Honeychurch for Suckling.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2016, 08:51 PM
A couple of selection related bits of info from the below article:

Bulldog blow: Suckling confirmed to miss a month (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-26/bulldog-blow-suckling-is-confirmed-to-miss-a-month)

"We've got choices to make around whether we bring a defender in for 'Suckers' or we go with an inside or outside mid in that half-back role."

One player who won't be considered to fill the void is talented second-year utility Lukas Webb, with Beveridge revealing the 20-year-old needed to "grow his game" and "scale up his performances" in the VFL.

Another issue facing Beveridge is the Kangaroos' three key forwards who caused him some headaches in round 22 last year.

Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite and Ben Brown combined for 11 contested marks, although the Dogs ended up running out 23-point winners in that game.

First-year key defender Kieran Collins may be handed a baptism of fire, with the coach declaring last weekend's emergency isn't "far away" from a debut.

"If we pick a tall defender, (Collins) will be in the mix for selection and we've got Fletcher Roberts who's been playing pretty well, Joel Hamling can go back and Zayne Cordy is almost ready to go," he said.

Or maybe Zaine Cordy even...

Rocco Jones
26-04-2016, 08:55 PM
I think Roberts 'playing pretty well', Hamling 'can go back' and Cordy 'almost ready to go' = Beveridge being positive and making them feel like they are close. If we go with a tall back, it will be Collins.

Beveridge reminds me of a positive teacher.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 08:59 PM
"We've got choices to make around whether we bring a defender in for 'Suckers' or we go with an inside or outside mid in that half-back role."- Beveridge

I think the bolded part rules out Williams as he is actually playing as a HB. If we are going with a runner, I believe he means a mid currently in the team who will move to that role. We would then bring in another small to replace them. I am guessing Macrae.

Collins or Honeychurch for Suckling.

Perhaps Stevens. He was working with Bubba this arvo.

Rocco Jones
26-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Perhaps Stevens. He was working with Bubba this arvo.

Would be shocked if so.
1- I love Koby but he is a panic merchant. Awful for HB
2- I love Koby. Our ability to smash sides at contested ball is a massive reason we are doing so well and Stevens is one of our best at winning a contested ball.

bornadog
26-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Or maybe Zaine Cordy even...

Made his debut against North last year.

1eyedog
26-04-2016, 11:27 PM
Would be shocked if so.
1- I love Koby but he is a panic merchant. Awful for HB
2- I love Koby. Our ability to smash sides at contested ball is a massive reason we are doing so well and Stevens is one of our best at winning a contested ball.

Bevo mentioned that Koby had already run through HB against the Lions (post match presser) and he was one of the players instructed how to play there.

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Sounds like Libba is a fair chance to spend more HB time.

Unfortunately Suckling out and Daniel not available. Expect only one change unless there are further injury/soreness issues.

Who's in the best form for FFC?

Honey,
Dunkley
or
Hamling
(webb ruled out by Bevo)

Less likely: Fletch, Cordy

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Looks like Collins will be making his debut Friday night. Can't wait to see how he goes!

bulldogtragic
27-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Looks like Collins will be making his debut Friday night. Can't wait to see how he goes!

He's already bigger than Ben Brown, Jarrad Waite & Drew Petrie. He will go ok me thinks.

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Wrong thread. Delete!

azabob
27-04-2016, 09:53 PM

How come?

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 10:07 PM
How come?

An official from the club who occasionally posts in the western bulldogs supporter group on Facebook has mentioned today a young man is getting his chance Friday night. Just assuming it's Collins.

1eyedog
27-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Could be Williams. Did he mention debut? Could be Honey.

LostDoggy
27-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Clear your schedules and DO NOT miss this match, as our boys are primed and committed to a rampant display.

A certain young man has been given the nod to play on Friday on a huge stage. We are as excited and delighted as him to get his opportunity and backing him to get the job done.

See you at Etihad!

Dry Rot
27-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Webb on the outer?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-26/bulldog-blow-suckling-is-confirmed-to-miss-a-month

Dry Rot
27-04-2016, 11:04 PM
An official from the club who occasionally posts in the western bulldogs supporter group on Facebook has mentioned today a young man is getting his chance Friday night. Just assuming it's Collins.

Big initiation against some good tall forwards like Waite and Petrie.

Good luck to him - this is why we drafted him.

So does Hamling go out?

GVGjr
27-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Big initiation against some good tall forwards like Waite and Petrie.

Good luck to him - this is why we drafted him.

So does Hamling go out?

Hamling didn't play last week. I'm assuming it will be Collins for Suckling

Dry Rot
27-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Hamling didn't play last week. I'm assuming it will be Collins for Suckling

Hm, poor attention to detail and no Foxtel showing here with me.

LostDoggy
28-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Webb on the outer?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-26/bulldog-blow-suckling-is-confirmed-to-miss-a-month

Sounded like he is destined for bigger things and learning the midfield trade, rather than being on the outer, there is a plan in place.

jeemak
28-04-2016, 12:30 AM
I didn't read too much into Bev's comments regarding Webb. It's clear that if he wants to get into the side he needs to be more versatile, which for a second year player, is fair enough (particularly if we're at the top of our game irrespective of cattle missing).

The same was asked from Adams when he arrived, and he's been able to deliver.

Looking forward to Collins debut.

I want to see HC in for Jong, but I think I'm against the MC on that one.

Remi Moses
28-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Interesting good old Brad Scott's pulling out the old " Kangaroo court" re- Cunnington .
Honestly he could whinge for Australia that bloke . Would have been interesting the moan

The Underdog
28-04-2016, 07:45 AM
I didn't read too much into Bev's comments regarding Webb. It's clear that if he wants to get into the side he needs to be more versatile, which for a second year player, is fair enough (particularly if we're at the top of our game irrespective of cattle missing).

The same was asked from Adams when he arrived, and he's been able to deliver.

Looking forward to Collins debut.

I want to see HC in for Jong, but I think I'm against the MC on that one.

I think Jong gives us a bit more flexibility considering North's size. Can compete in the air and gives us run. I thought he was actually pretty reasonable last week and but for a poor bounce would have had a couple of goals.

jeemak
28-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I think Jong gives us a bit more flexibility considering North's size. Can compete in the air and gives us run. I thought he was actually pretty reasonable last week and but for a poor bounce would have had a couple of goals.

On reflection he was pretty reasonable, and improved on the week prior.

I'm going through a patch of struggling to recognise his upside, I do this at times with certain players and sometimes it's unfair.

Mantis
28-04-2016, 12:58 PM
On reflection he was pretty reasonable, and improved on the week prior.

I'm going through a patch of struggling to recognise his upside, I do this at times with certain players and sometimes it's unfair.

I think he deserves a spot this week, but he, as with a few others need to perform well over the next month to show they are capable of performing well against other potential top 4/8 teams.

Templeton31
28-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I think he deserves a spot this week, but he, as with a few others need to perform well over the next month to show they are capable of performing well against other potential top 4/8 teams.

I wonder if Lin actually goes better against top 4/8 teams? He was a ripper against Swans last year and v good game in final against Crows.

F'scary
28-04-2016, 07:13 PM
jong is also a ruck option

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Declan Hamilton any chance?

bornadog
28-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Final

Roberts in for Suckers

GVGjr
28-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Final

Roberts in for Suckers

Reasonable selection. I wonder if Hamling has slipped back in the MC calculations or if this is more of a horses for courses selection.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Great opportunity for Fletch to get in and stay in. I hope he takes the opportunity.

comrade
Roberts was easily the best of the key defenders against Sandy. Bit concerned by his lack of speed but it's not essential against the big dinosaurs in North's forward line.

Personally, I would have gone with Campbell to ruck 80% and use Roughy, as defensive cover, allowing another runner to come in.

But In Bev We Trust

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
Same I think Hammers has a better leap and is quicker than Fletch

GVGjr
28-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Same I think Hammers has a better leap and is quicker than Fletch

I think Hamling would be one of the quicker players at the club. Before he was drafted his combine results for sprinting were excellent.

If only Hamling could take the game on and carry the ball down field like a taller version of JJ or Wood. I think he has the tendency to play it a bit safe and that might be working against him.

F'scary
28-04-2016, 07:53 PM
A good thing about the Roberts selection is that we won't have to spend Wood in a KPB role. Could help cover the rebound gap left by the injuries to Murph, JJ and Suckers.

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Roberts was easily the best of the key defenders against Sandy. Bit concerned by his lack of speed but it's not essential against the big dinosaurs in North's forward line.

Personally, I would have gone with Campbell to ruck 80% and use Roughy, as defensive cover, allowing another runner to come in.

But In Bev We Trust
Would mean the forward line is under-resourced and puts additional pressure on Stringer.

SlimPickens
28-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Good to see Fletch back. Has a good body of work in the 2's behind him, think he is a good match up for Brown.

G-Mo77
28-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Surprised it's Roberts over Hamling, he's quicker than Roberts and can use the speed against Norf.

Dunkley I thought would have got a call this week but at who's expense?

Not upset with selections though. Anyway, who am I to question them when nearly everything they've done has been the right decision?

1eyedog
28-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Fletch is an aerial specialist. We're clearly putting more value on this attribute than the extra run Hamling would give us. Fletch can clunk them and is perhaps the difference between a contest and actually winning back possession.

ratsmac
28-04-2016, 08:43 PM
I think Hamling would be one of the quicker players at the club. Before he was drafted his combine results for sprinting were excellent.

If only Hamling could take the game on and carry the ball down field like a taller version of JJ or Wood. I think he has the tendency to play it a bit safe and that might be working against him.

Great point you make about Hamling playing safe. He really does doesn't he! And as a result he is quite reliable with ball in hand. It would be good to see him venture into being more adventurous and taking risks. I would hope he works on his attacking side while he is back at Footscray. He would be quite handy with some offensive flair.

With Bevo's mantra of being multi dimensional I would like to see him playing some different roles also. I am still keen to see him have a run playing forward.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Where's Dad? :( Emergency! bah.

Mind you, knowing our luck he's prob more likely to play than not.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2016, 10:05 PM
I know Bevo doesn't like the "one game in, one game out" method but I fail to see the merit in Dale playing. He still hasn't proven he can find enough of the ball at AFL level and I thought he was poor last week against terrible opposition.

Surely Honeychurch and Webb give us more.

Hope he proves me wrong but I don't think Dale is ready.

jeemak
29-04-2016, 01:25 AM
I watched the stream of the Foot vs Sand game and thought Hamling actually tried to attack the game with a bit of run more so than he does at senior level but Roberts looked a bit better on the day.

Roberts is an extremely talented footballer, so I'm hoping he can take his opportunity this week. He has a couple of good match ups to work through, and I think it's a genuine horses for courses selection this week.

jeemak
29-04-2016, 01:26 AM
TD special - double post deleted.

bornadog
29-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Where's Dad? :( Emergency! bah.

Mind you, knowing our luck he's prob more likely to play than not.

Dad will get his chance at some stage. Exciting to have a talented 18 year old KPP, ready and waiting. I can't remember ever having such a young talent that we have recruited in the waiting since Chris Grant.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Dad will get his chance at some stage. Exciting to have a talented 18 year old KPP, ready and waiting. I can't remember ever having such a young talent that we have recruited in the waiting since Chris Grant.

Wow, hope you're right about that one! Chris Grants do happen I suppose.

bornadog
29-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Wow, hope you're right about that one! Chris Grants do happen I suppose.

I don't mean he is as talented as Chris, I just mean a young KPP on our list with talent. Other KPPs that we recruited came good later (Harris/Lake), but Dad's talent is already evident.

westdog54
29-04-2016, 09:45 AM
So who gets who down back?

I'm thinking Roberts to Petrie, Morris shadows Waite and Adams rebounds off Brown, with Easton zoning of to be a third man up.

In saying that, a Higgins/Harvey/Thomas small forward line is not an easy one to zone off on.

I wonder if we send Picken to go and deal with his bitch?

Mantis
29-04-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't mean he is as talented as Chris, I just mean a young KPP on our list with talent. Other KPPs that we recruited came good later (Harris/Lake), but Dad's talent is already evident.

What has you excited about him?

1eyedog
29-04-2016, 10:18 AM
For me I like his positioning, his ability to affect the spoil when out of position and his reading of the flight of the ball. Bread and butter attributes of a good key defender but he has them in place. It's also his historic trajectory. Was the second best key defender in the land as a junior by all accounts. No 1 for clean hands at the combine and has an aggressive streak.

I think we got a bargain.

bornadog
29-04-2016, 10:20 AM
What has you excited about him?

For me I like his positioning, his ability to affect the spoil when out of position and his reading of the flight of the ball. Bread and butter attributes of a good key defender but he has them in place. It's also his historic trajectory. Was the second best key defender in the land as a junior by all accounts. No 1 for clean hands at the combine and has an aggressive streak.

I think we got a bargain.

1eyedog summed it up beautifully.

The Pie Man
29-04-2016, 11:56 AM
So who gets who down back?

I'm thinking Roberts to Petrie, Morris shadows Waite and Adams rebounds off Brown, with Easton zoning of to be a third man up.

In saying that, a Higgins/Harvey/Thomas small forward line is not an easy one to zone off on.

I wonder if we send Picken to go and deal with his bitch?

Intriguing night ahead - I'm not one to advocate for Roughead down back given his solid start to 2016 in the ruck, but tonight could be an exception. We did use him for a short stint against Carlton there as well, so Bevo isn't completely adverse to the idea. If he went there, would he go to Petrie or Brown? Is Brown too agile for either Fletch or Jordan, and too tall for Adams?

Also noted some of the training thread posts on Campbell's instructions for playing on Goldstein, so you'd think he'll do the bulk of the ruck work (another intriguing battle)

Can't wait for this. If we can keep our season to date pressure through the midfield and actually take our opportunities for once, the backline matchups won't be as important.

1eyedog
29-04-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't mind when Campbell is rucking Roughie back and Roberts forward. Don't mind Roberts' hands. They are better than Roughies.

Roscoe_G
29-04-2016, 02:09 PM
All,

Long time, no visit .... so best wishes for tonight. Should be a beauty!

Regards
Roscoe

bornadog
29-04-2016, 02:18 PM
All,

Long time, no visit .... so best wishes for tonight. Should be a beauty!

Regards
Roscoe

Let's show the AFL we are sick of Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood on a Friday night and put on a real show.

Roscoe_G
29-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Let's show the AFL we are sick of Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood on a Friday night and put on a real show.

Fully agree - tired of viewing those other teams.

For tonight, I suspect its the Dogs by 3 goals.

hujsh
29-04-2016, 03:38 PM

I've been wondering how you're feeling about B.Scott these days.

kruder
29-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Its a big a big year for Roberts . While Adams has gone past him and Collins in the wings its his time to for him to hold down Full back. The one advantage he does have over Hamling is that he is a nice kick which should be important tonight with so many kickers out of the side. Fingers crossed he stamps a little of himself on the contest.

GVGjr
29-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Good to have you on Roscoe. Hopefully a good game and of course a Bulldog win :)

Nearly as important for both sides is a big crowd attending tonight.

GVGjr
29-04-2016, 05:50 PM
It's our big chance tonight to become a side that performs on the bigger stage. Starting to get excited.

bornadog
29-04-2016, 05:53 PM
It's our big chance tonight to become a side that performs on the bigger stage. Starting to get excited.

The heart is starting to pound and the nerves are kicking in.

Roscoe_G
30-04-2016, 08:44 PM
An error-laden match with North falling over the line. I was pleased to win, but know that was not the Bulldogs best. Until next time ...

PS: Did my eyes deceive me, or did Hawthorn just get beaten by close to 100 points?

Roscoe_G
30-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks chef!!

By the way, how insane has the "deliberate out of bunds" rule become? Utterly incredulous ..

chef
30-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Thanks chef!!

By the way, how insane has the "deliberate out of bunds" rule become? Utterly incredulous ..

That rule is a joke. Its just a lottery atm.

Well done Roscoe and good luck for the rest of the season. If we aren't going to win it i hope the Kangas do.

Roscoe_G
30-04-2016, 09:08 PM
With JJ and Boyd in, and a few straighter kicks, you'd have won last night. Would love the clubs to meet in a Grand Final.

F'scary
30-04-2016, 09:17 PM
With JJ and Boyd in, and a few straighter kicks, you'd have won last night. Would love the clubs to meet in a Grand Final.

Too kind.

bornadog
01-05-2016, 01:04 AM

That would be good.

Surely the AFL will give us the Good Friday slot, although I am not happy your club is insisting on getting he cheats to play you.

Roscoe_G
01-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Still not a fan, but it is heartening to see the team win. Notwithstanding the 6-0 record thus far, I am far from convinced. An injury to Goldstein, Ziebell or Thompson in particular would hurt very badly.

Mantis
02-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Still not a fan, but it is heartening to see the team win. Notwithstanding the 6-0 record thus far, I am far from convinced. An injury to Goldstein, Ziebell or Thompson in particular would hurt very badly.

Or you could be like us and have all 3 injured.