PDA

View Full Version : Inside 50 and how we can improve on our opportunities

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 10:13 PM
While I was very pleased that we scored 17 goals last night our highest number this year we still did struggle quite a bit with our usage of the footy inside 50. How can be more effective in this department? I liked seeing Tommy Campbell take a few great grabs in there.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-04-2016, 10:26 PM
I would like to see more players backing themselves and having a shot instead of short passing inside the 50. And someone take a mark ffs

Twodogs
24-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Good thread Easty. It's an interesting observation about our forward line thinking and it's been bothering me all year.

We should go with our first thought with ball on hand inside 50 and not over think things or try to be too cute. Quite a few players could do with some serious work on their set shot technique at the leat.

bornadog
24-04-2016, 10:46 PM
The other issue is the number of times we just bomb the ball in, instead of looking for a lead. This especially happened in the first quarter.

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 10:57 PM
We need to find our targets better. The crumbers haven't have to be very effective here if we don't get a lead.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2016, 11:14 PM
We need to find our targets better. The crumpets haven't have to be very effective here if we don't get a lead.

I love crumpets

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 11:16 PM
I love crumpets

Sorry B4L I meant crumbers :) typing from my iPad.

Eastdog
24-04-2016, 11:16 PM
I love crumpets

I used to eat them a lot a while ago.

Twodogs
25-04-2016, 02:53 AM
Crumpets are very good but let's not get distracted.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Stupid autocorrect

Go_Dogs
25-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Given we thrive off such a break-neck game plan bringing the ball up from half back, and often aren't the cleanest side out of a clearance we've won, we sometimes lack a little composure entering the F50.

We've certainly improved compared to where we were at a while ago, but the really good teams of the modern era have been incredibly smart at finding space and taking those 20m kicks to set up easier shots on goal, which is something I feel we can continue to work on. I'm also hopeful that having Dicko back, and soon enough Boydy, will help our structure, give us more flexibility and options for our entries.

LostDoggy
25-04-2016, 10:43 AM
We should take advantage of our strengths and enter the 50 by kicking the ball along the ground. We rarely lose the ground ball and guys that cant kick a set shot from 20m out in front seem to be able to nail bananas, snap from 45 or backwards from the boundary under pressure.

always right
25-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Can we talk more about crumpets?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Jam or honey?

Ghost Dog
25-04-2016, 02:18 PM
We should take advantage of our strengths and enter the 50 by kicking the ball along the ground. We rarely lose the ground ball and guys that cant kick a set shot from 20m out in front seem to be able to nail bananas, snap from 45 or backwards from the boundary under pressure.

Chaos ball!!! I love this suggestion.

Happy Days
25-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Chaos ball!!! I love this suggestion.

I always wondered what would happen if we played a forward line of (for example) Honeychurch, Hrovat, Dahl, Stringer, Daniel and Hunter and just drilled the ball in with dribble kicks.

I mean, I *know* what would happen, but it would be fun to see.

GVGjr
25-04-2016, 02:36 PM
I always wondered what would happen if we played a forward line of (for example) Honeychurch, Hrovat, Dahl, Stringer, Daniel and Hunter and just drilled the ball in with dribble kicks.

I mean, I *know* what would happen, but it would be fun to see.

It would throw the game a huge curve ball. One tall forward like Boyd with the likes of Stringer, Crameri, McLean, Dickson, Daniel and Hunter would be a handful for opposition defenders. Chaos entries all day. McLean could kick 4 all from free kicks.

1eyedog
25-04-2016, 02:47 PM

MJP suggested this at the start of last year. Chaos it in and lock it in.

chef
25-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Can we talk more about crumpets?

I have crumpets on my menu, made in melbourne by Dr Martys. So much better than the ones from the supermarket.

chef
25-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Jam or honey?

Nutella, fresh strawberries, macadamias and greek yogurt:p

chef
25-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Maybe not along the ground, but hard and flat instead of rain makers would be better.

LostDoggy
25-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Lets save it for the prelim then!

soupman
25-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Just to blow my own trumpet I think I suggested it back in the 2009 prelim final era. It'not the worst idea, just need a code word when we feel we have the matchups in our favour to activate it and away you go.

Alternatively instead of our centre clearances aiming for the hot spot why don't we aim for the space about 30m out in the pockets and have all our quick guys playing in front ready to run forward to the drop off the ball. Saves us from having a big pack with multiple key defenders and means our quicker forwardline could get the jump on them.

Twodogs
25-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Just to blow my own trumpet I think I suggested it back in the 2009 prelim final era. It'not the worst idea, just need a code word when we feel we have the matchups in our favour to activate it and away you go.

Alternatively instead of our centre clearances aiming for the hot spot why don't we aim for the space about 30m out in the pockets and have all our quick guys playing in front ready to run forward to the drop off the ball. Saves us from having a big pack with multiple key defenders and means our quicker forwardline could get the jump on them.

That's how I would work it too. Not every time, not even every game but often enough to have opposition defenders wondering what sort of kick they will be defending.

Common wisdom says you must have at least one tall in the forward line just to bring the ball to ground so the little guys can compete for it. Why not have all little guys and dribble the ball along the ground? Same result more little guys to compete.

Eastdog
25-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Yes in 09 I believe we relied not on a tall forward but of the smallish type attacking mids to get our goals.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2016, 06:11 PM

You're a visionary. I'd love to see this happen.
By the way, what would the code word be?

comrade
25-04-2016, 07:53 PM

It's Tardis time.

always right
25-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Crumpet

Twodogs
25-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't think a word would work. It would have to be a certain kicker or a really obvious secret signal.

Twodogs
25-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Or just do it. Keep everyone guessing.

BulldogBelle
25-04-2016, 11:40 PM
I think that we should learn the 20 metre kick trick.

Very often the ball is hand-balled back and forth under pressure somewhere in the forward 50 until we eventually lose possession. It is too difficult to kick for goal. The players should make a short kick to one of a few nominated spots near the 10 metre square (say either side of the top of the square). Our guys will be expecting it, their guys will not.

I expect that half the time one of our guys will mark the ball and have a shot on goal. Most of the other time the ball will spill to ground and the fight will continue. There will be the odd occasion that the opposition will mark the ball.

This would be a real chaos ball. The ball travels 20 meters very quickly.

As far as code words go, maybe the guys should learn to speak Chinese.

Eastdog
30-04-2016, 01:02 AM
So frustrating last night in this area.

Greystache
30-04-2016, 01:11 AM
I think close our eyes and try to kick a banana along the ground might be a good start. Taking a contested mark might be the next step once we master the blindfolded banana.

Eastdog
30-04-2016, 01:15 AM
I think close our eyes and try to kick a banana along the ground might be a good start. Taking a contested mark might be the next step once we master the blindfolded banana.

We took a few in the final quarter but they are really not to common with us.

azabob
30-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Beveridge is also frustrated with our inability to convert inside 50's.

Is it game plan related? Player related?

If it is game plan related is Gia under the pump or is it the midfield coach, King?

We have pretty much had the same coaching group (bar the senior coach) since the BMAC first came on board.

Do we need a change up with new ideas from outside the club?

GVGjr
30-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Beveridge is also frustrated with our inability to convert inside 50's.

Is it game plan related? Player related?

If it is game plan related is Gia under the pump or is it the midfield coach, King?

We have pretty much had the same coaching group (bar the senior coach) since the BMAC first came on board.

Do we need a change up with new ideas from outside the club?

Good questions and thought starters. I've been wondering if our attacking style is having an impact on our skill execution.

As for assistants, I actually think they are working together very well and while they might benefit from some extra resources or different points of view at this stage I'd probably lean towards adding to the group rather than moving anyone on.

F'scary
30-04-2016, 11:11 AM
After last night against Norf and since Beveridge is a coach who is not afraid to experiment, I would look to get Toyd and Redpath into the forward line together and see how that goes for a few weeks.

Stefcep
30-04-2016, 11:12 AM
TBH I think we miss Crameri more than we admit. Jake has to play out in front more. The high bombs to a contest have to stop. I don't think you can blame anyone else but the player kicking when so many set shots don't get converted- Jong again, Campbell.

Ghost Dog
30-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Roughy stalled the Roughassaince with his missed goal to break my heart. Bad Dog Roughy. That's what you were there for buddy!
Picken's snap for goal missing the whole kit and kaboodle. Stringer fading left. We had our chances.

Eastdog
07-05-2016, 03:05 PM
What do we want to see tonight in this department? Hopefully Jack can get some good contested marks up there.

comrade
07-05-2016, 04:34 PM
What I don't want to see is Stringer jumping early against 3 defenders, and then the opposition waltzing it out over and over. Lock it in!

bornadog
07-05-2016, 04:48 PM
What I don't want to see is Stringer jumping early against 3 defenders, and then the opposition waltzing it out over and over. Lock it in!

If he didn't jump for the mark,(early or not) the opposition would just mark it anyway. He needs a big body down there helping out. I don't blame him when he was the only tall in the forward line.

azabob
07-05-2016, 04:53 PM
If he didn't jump for the mark,(early or not) the opposition would just mark it anyway. He needs a big body down there helping out. I don't blame him when he was the only tall in the forward line.

Why can't he spoil his opponent when behind?

bornadog
07-05-2016, 04:58 PM

How many times did he go the big screamer? Twice I think last week, big deal it doesn't matter.

He got outmarked by Scott Thompson and Tarrant, simple they are bigger than him. He shouldn't have to play on these players.

Greystache
07-05-2016, 06:57 PM
How many times did he go the big screamer? Twice I think last week, big deal it doesn't matter.

He got outmarked by Scott Thompson and Tarrant, simple they are bigger than him. He shouldn't have to play on these players.

Scott Thompson- 193cm 93kg
Jake Stringer- 192cm 91kg

Perhaps Stringer could try playing in front for once.

bornadog
07-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Scott Thompson- 193cm 93kg
Jake Stringer- 192cm 91kg

Perhaps Stringer could try playing in front for once.

Scott Thompson is 96kg. I don't believe Stringer stood behind him the whole game, he was generally shoulder to shoulder. Thompson is a lot stronger.

Anyway the point is Stringer needs help and tonight he gets it with Redpath in.

hujsh
08-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Dickson finds some touch, Redpath comes in and all of a sudden Stringer looks dangerous and is making opportunities for those around him.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Dickson finds some touch, Redpath comes in and all of a sudden Stringer looks dangerous and is making opportunities for those around him.

Yep, and I can't wait to see it with a stronger and better Boyd & Crameri in 2017. Great to see some really good leading patterns and forward craft and not bombing it on guys heads.

Eastdog
08-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Did not disappointment in this area tonight. Stringer and Redpath were very good. Campbell in that first quarter took some great marks but just needs to convert his chances.

AndrewP6
08-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Did not disappointment in this area tonight. Stringer and Redpath were very good. Campbell in that first quarter took some great marks but just needs to convert his chances.

33 shots from 68 inside 50s, we need to get better. It worked tonight, but could be so much better.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Roughy did this a number of times in the forward line.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Scott Thompson is 96kg. I don't believe Stringer stood behind him the whole game, he was generally shoulder to shoulder. Thompson is a lot stronger.

Anyway the point is Stringer needs help and tonight he gets it with Redpath in.

Stringer and Redpath really worked. They compliment each other so well.