PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Matches

F'scary
25-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't it be better if the honour of the marquee matches were awarded to clubs according ladder position. For example: ANZAC Day goes to the club on the top of the ladder at the end of the previous round and whoever they are fixtured against.

Reward for effort.

hujsh
25-04-2016, 07:44 PM
The AFL is not a meritocracy. It's dedicated to preserving everything as it was in the 1980s including who the best teams were.

Sure those teams don't deserve half of what they get and sure sharing revenue and fixture benefits would benefit the game as a whole but that's not what's important. What's important is short term cash.

Eastdog
25-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a good enough idea to share it around but I don't think it will change anytime soon.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2016, 09:35 PM
AFL should be granted special heritage status as a cultural icon. Key decisions should be overseen by an independent body. At the moment our game is at the mercy of a select few and their operations are far from transparent.

After the Essendon scandal, have very little faith in the administrations ability oversee its responsibilities in very sensitive areas.

SonofScray
25-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Any game can be a marquee match up. Our Friday night game v Norf is match of the round and should attract a bumper crowd. Local rivals, in form, for top spot. The purest of all marquee scenarios.

The current attitude and reshaping of what constitutes a blockbuster by the AFL has locked out many clubs from the due attention their match ups deserve.

Play everyone twice, forget about having to schedule particular clubs for specific dates and there'll still be plenty of blockbusters and scope for novelty games.

Twodogs
26-04-2016, 02:14 AM
Any game can be a marquee match up. Our Friday night game v Norf is match of the round and should attract a bumper crowd. Local rivals, in form, for top spot. The purest of all marquee scenarios.

The current attitude and reshaping of what constitutes a blockbuster by the AFL has locked out many clubs from the due attention their match ups deserve.

Play everyone twice, forget about having to schedule particular clubs for specific dates and there'll still be plenty of blockbusters and scope for novelty games.

Yep. Let's stop listening to the rubbish about not being able to play every team twice. We don't need a six month long pre-season-lets half it and play some more footy.

Ozza
26-04-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't have a problem with Anzac day being the same two clubs. They had the initiative to start the tradition in the mid 90s and it is well established that they play then. Similarly, Hawthorn and Geelong has become an Easter Monday tradition. The traditional fixtures rely on clubs pushing their case for them and showing a new initiative.

What I do hope, is that it becomes tradition for us to play North Melbourne on Good Friday as we have actually been on the front foot with this - the game could be played at night from Etihad and would be well attended in terms of an Etihad crowd.

FrediKanoute
26-04-2016, 04:02 PM
I don't have a problem with Anzac day being the same two clubs. They had the initiative to start the tradition in the mid 90s and it is well established that they play then. Similarly, Hawthorn and Geelong has become an Easter Monday tradition. The traditional fixtures rely on clubs pushing their case for them and showing a new initiative.

That doesn't quite gel though with Friday footy as a concept. It was North who championed this in its early stages. They were known as the Friday night kings because they played so many games on a Friday night. Again after the game was well entrenched in the sporting psyche the AFL stopped giving Friday games to North. Hardly fair when you pioneered it.

Ozza
26-04-2016, 04:16 PM
That doesn't quite gel though with Friday footy as a concept. It was North who championed this in its early stages. They were known as the Friday night kings because they played so many games on a Friday night. Again after the game was well entrenched in the sporting psyche the AFL stopped giving Friday games to North. Hardly fair when you pioneered it.

I think they are different things - if you're talking about one date in the calendar as opposed to a weekly timeslot.
I don't think you can give a club the lions share of a timeslot. But there is still a bit of work to do in terms of sharing Friday night footy more.
What is hard, is predicting who are going to be the teams that fans will want to watch on Friday nights.

In any case, North has 4 Friday nights and a Thursday night this season. They are certainly being rewarded for 2 seasons in a row of good footy.

Remi Moses
26-04-2016, 06:17 PM

What I do hope, is that it becomes tradition for us to play North Melbourne on Good Friday as we have actually been on the front foot with this - the game could be played at night from Etihad and would be well attended in terms of an Etihad crowd.

I think it's a misnomer that Essendon and Collingwood have started the whole Anzac Day tradition .There were huge crowds back in the 80's and early 90's on Anzac Day . I'd heard that both clubs make a million bucks from the game . The gate should be shared amongst the clubs

Twodogs
26-04-2016, 11:50 PM
I think it's a misnomer that Essendon and Collingwood have started the whole Anzac Day tradition .There were huge crowds back in the 80's and early 90's on Anzac Day . I'd heard that both clubs make a million bucks from the game . The gate should be shared amongst the clubs

Footscray V Richmond got 60 or 70 thousand on ANZAC day in 1983 at the MCG. It was a cracking game too.