PDA

View Full Version : Sign Up Koby Stevens NOW!

The Doctor
30-04-2016, 08:34 PM
What's the hold up?

I say we need to sign Koby Stevens as a matter of priority.

When I pick my starting 18 Stevens is one of the first picked? Why? I like players who;

a) attack the ball at every contest ferociously
b) can be counted on by his team mates to do so when it's his turn
c) Stands up for his team mates
d) will make the bullies from teams like North, Hawks etc wonder where he is
e) never throws in the towel
f) we need blokes like this in big games

Some people may point to weaknesses in his game. To them I will argue you can do that against every player in the AFL.

Bulldogs, Sign Koby Stevens NOW!

The Underdog
30-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Pretty needless to say that I fully support the sentiments posted in the OP

F'scary
30-04-2016, 10:04 PM
What terms would be required to just keep him from going elsewhere? I say this because I think he has established his credentials such that a number of other clubs would be keen to acquire him. Would a 3 year contract be mandatory?

jeemak
30-04-2016, 10:27 PM
I think Koby's injury last year and his ongoing inconsistent quality means we're struggling to determine his value.

He's definitely required, but contract term and cost would be at the forefront of the club's mind with him. We wouldn't want to short change him, or pay overs, given we're coming into a phase of our development where rewarding players fairly and leaving enough in the kitty for everyone on the list and recruits coming in is going to be a fine balance.

stefoid
01-05-2016, 08:41 PM
He doesnt win as much contested ball or clearances as we assume, but like Macrae and Hunter he busts a gut to provide options which is an important part of how we play. Just needs to keep improving bit by bit.

bornadog
01-05-2016, 11:05 PM
I love his attack on the ball and no one gets in his way. A very tough competitor that should be signed up soon.

ratsmac
02-05-2016, 01:43 AM
He's as hard as a cats head and every team needs a few of those types. He is normally a good user of the ball and is a pretty good overhead mark. He decision making under pressure is probably the biggest knock on him. He is a handy player for us in that he does give us that hard edge (as does Libba, Wallis, M Boyd, Picken and Morris for what it's worth) that makes us difficult to play against. He's not irreplaceable but a required player IMO. Surely the club are in negotiations with him at the moment.

GVGjr
02-05-2016, 01:58 AM
I can't see any reason why this won't go through. I'm confident this will happen.

chef
02-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Yep, I can't see Stevens wanting to leave or us wanting to trade. Should have a 3 year deal signed up soon enough.

Been a great pick up, one of those players a lot of people focus on what he doesn't bring rather than what he does. But I'm a fan.

merantau
02-05-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm a fan too. Koby doesn't leave anything in the shed or on the park. Gives his all from go to whoa. He is a must keep.

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm a fan too. Koby doesn't leave anything in the shed or on the park. Gives his all from go to whoa. He is a must keep.

So did DFA.

Mantis
02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
When I pick my starting 18 Stevens is one of the first picked?

Can you pick your starting 18, or even best 22?

always right
02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
So did DFA.
Surely you're not suggesting he's no better than DFA?

1eyedog
02-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Surely you're not suggesting he's no better than DFA?

I'm not. A player shouldn't be retained simply because they don't leave anything on the park. He's a much better player than DFA.

craigsahibee
02-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Absolute necessity. Can be frustrating at times but equally as damaging. He is pivotal to our game plan and you don't let big bodied experienced mids walk. Koby is the demographic we need now and for the next 4 years. 3 plus 1 deal. Do it now Macca.

Ozza
03-05-2016, 09:46 AM
As a supporter (and one who is a Koby Stevens fan) yes, definitely get him signed up.

From a list management perspective, certainly sign him up - but I don't think there is a huge urgency there or a need to commit for a 3 or 4 year term. Koby is already at his second club - he would be picked up elsewhere, but isn't going to be poached. I don't think he is one to be concerned about. You would think that the club and Koby will have no problems reaching a 2 year deal at some point during the year.