PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 8 2016 vs Melbourne

Eastdog
03-05-2016, 04:15 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 8 2016 match against Melbourne at the MCG?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
07-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Its a different and far better Melbourne we will be playing next Sunday. Who comes in and goes out?

bulldogtragic
07-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Ins: Tom Boyd, Stevens/Jong/Dunkley
Outs: Roberts, Adcock

Roughead, resting back or playing back.
Would like to see Collins or Cordy.
Hrovat to the VFL. Suckling & JJ still in the rehab room.

comrade
07-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Ins: Tom Boyd, Stevens/Jong
Outs: Roberts, Adcock

Hrovat to the VFL. Suckling & JJ still in the rehab room.

Think Boyd will need at least a week in the magoos and I can't see Bevo naming a team with Boyd, Red, Roughy, Campbell.

Roberts and Adcock, definite outs. What was Fletch thinking trying to mark that ball at the end?

bulldogtragic
07-05-2016, 11:28 PM
think boyd will need at least a week in the magoos and i can't see bevo naming a team with boyd, red, roughy, campbell.

Roberts and adcock, definite outs. what was fletch thinking trying to mark that ball at the end?

nfi...

westbulldog
08-05-2016, 12:25 AM
In : Stevens, Hamling or Collins
Out : Roberts, Adcock

The Underdog
08-05-2016, 12:35 AM

Agree with this depending upon who of Hammer and Dad are in better form. If T Boyd is ready I'd also have him in for Campbell, but he might need a run at Footscray first

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-05-2016, 12:44 AM
As awful as Roberts was, I want to stick with him. He was one of our better defenders for quite a while last year, until he went out with injury. I think he can return to the form that saw him able to out-mark and or spoil his opponent and to have the judgment to know when was the appropriate course of action.
Adcock though needs to have a rest. Whilst Roberts was a human witch's hat at times tonight, Adcock committed various errors that were effort based. That is not excusable, especially from one who was an AFL club captain.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-05-2016, 12:49 AM
IN: Stevens, Cordy/Collins
OUT: Adcock, Roberts

BornInDroopSt'54
08-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Let's see who puts their hand up for Footscray tomorrow. Cordy and Collins have an opportunity if they're ready, Cordy for Adcock and Collins for Roberts. Hamling is listed to play FF. That may change given Roberts poor display.

GVGjr
08-05-2016, 12:55 AM

Hamling is very unlikely be promoted unless there are injuries and I think Stevens will need another week. Collins being rested wouldn't normally bode well for a call up but you never know.

bornadog
08-05-2016, 01:00 AM
Agree with this depending upon who of Hammer and Dad are in better form. If T Boyd is ready I'd also have him in for Campbell, but he might need a run at Footscray first

I thought Campbell played really well tonight, why do you want him out?

lemmon
08-05-2016, 01:02 AM
I can't see Adcock missing. Bevo pointed him out as an important part of the big 6 in the press conference

The Underdog
08-05-2016, 04:40 AM
I thought Campbell played really well tonight, why do you want him out?

I don't necessarily but I preferred Roughy as ruck and Boyd as a forward, hence Campbell would be my choice to go out. If Boyd isn't ready he stays in.

LostDoggy
08-05-2016, 05:51 AM
I can't see Adcock missing. Bevo pointed him out as an important part of the big 6 in the press conference
Well he ain't gonna pot him on national TV.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dale and/or McLean make way. McLean for a rest more than anything.

Go_Dogs
08-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Out:-
Adcock, McLean

In:-
Stevens, Honeychurch

* Subject to change after I've watched the replay.

It wasn't Roberts' best game, but I'd be prepared to back him in again. If Collins has really knocked the door down, I'm OK with an additional change, but I'd like to see us persist with Roberts for a block of games and see whether he can become the player we need. The Crows forward line is the best in the competition, no doubt in my mind, so somewhat understandably, our young key defender who missed a chunk of the pre-season and is playing his second senior game of the year, didn't set the world on fire.

If Stevens is fit, I'd swap him for Adcock.

McLean was meant to be rested a few weeks ago, but wasn't. Happy for him to have a week off against Melbourne and then bring him back for the interstate trip to Spotless. Not sure whether HC is in the mix, but I'd like to see him get a game.

Rocket Science
08-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Hamling is very unlikely be promoted unless there are injuries and I think Stevens will need another week. Collins being rested wouldn't normally bode well for a call up but you never know.

Is there an issue with Hamling that isn't form related you're aware of?

GVGjr
08-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Is there an issue with Hamling that isn't form related you're aware of?

No it's very much form related from my perspective. I was originally surprised at his omission but his form back at Footscray just isn't good enough to get him a recall unless there is an injury that he could cover. Hopefully he returns to some form today.

1eyedog
08-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Well he ain't gonna pot him on national TV.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Dale and/or McLean make way. McLean for a rest more than anything.

But he didn't need to mention him, but he made a point of doing so. If Koby comes back in next week it will be interesting to see who makes way.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2016, 02:54 PM
In- Stevens. If he isn't right Webb
Out- Roberts

If McLean needs a rest, so be it but I wouldn't be forcing it.

Adcock wouldn't be in my 22 but Beveridge loves him, so be it. I get it. Last night late in the game, he went to a player to calm them down before taking a kick. I guess he sees that as a huge asset when competing against guys who are fringe away.

I would go with Zaine Cordy and Jong as my next two ins. Dunkley and Honeychurch close.

Rocco Jones
08-05-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't think we will go with Webb. Seems like we think he needs to wrong on his game and not sure being the star in a spanking will do it. I like him though and he would be in my 22.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-05-2016, 08:04 PM
In- Stevens. If he isn't right Webb
Out- Roberts

If McLean needs a rest, so be it but I wouldn't be forcing it.

Adcock wouldn't be in my 22 but Beveridge loves him, so be it. I get it. Last night late in the game, he went to a player to calm them down before taking a kick. I guess he sees that as a huge asset when competing against guys who are fringe away.

I would go with Zaine Cordy and Jong as my next two ins. Dunkley and Honeychurch close.

Both Roberts and Adams struggled down back against the Crows and I was surprised that Roughead wasn't moved back to provide extra height on Jenkins. We still need two talls down back and for that reason would prefer to see Roberts retained in the hope that with more games and confidence he will become a vital cog in our defence. Morris now looks better playing on shorter players.McLean gives us something extra playing up forward although his inerrant kicking for goal was disappointing last night. The juryis still out on Adcock IMO although I thought he was a bit better against the Crows than his two previous games.The midfield was very good last night without Jong and Stevens who do not use the ball well.i wouldn't be against going for an unchanged side against Melbourne.

ledge
08-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Collins didn't play today so no way would he come in ..I would like to see Stevens in maybe for Adcock and If Roberts is dropped I'm thinking roughead goes back and we bring in Minson to ruck.
Jong and honeychurch killed it today but it was Nth Ballarat and they are not much at all.
Both these players above VFL Level.
Dunkley and Cordy had good games as well . So many players I think deserve a game but 25 into 18 doesn't go even with the injuries.

G-Mo77
08-05-2016, 08:20 PM
If Stevens is still out I'm guessing no change.

Axe Man
09-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Adams ruled out for this week with a fractured finger so I guess that means a reprieve for Roberts.

The question is do we bring in a tall to replace Adams (Hamling/Collins/Cordy) or go with a smaller defence against Hogan, Watts and Pederson?

Greystache
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Adams ruled out for this week with a fractured finger so I guess that means a reprieve for Roberts

He's had that for a number of weeks which goes some way to explaining his down few games, in particular his handballing.

bornadog
09-05-2016, 06:03 PM
He's had that for a number of weeks which goes some way to explaining his down few games, in particular his handballing.

I think his handballing has been pretty bad from the start, as has his short passes.

I would like to see Hamling in to replace Adams.

always right
09-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Shame...reckon he was a pretty good match up for Hogan.

jeemak
09-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Our preferred back six has taken a hammering, with only Morris and Boyd still fit!

Roberts to earn a reprieve, do we go with Morris on Hogan now? Given I can't bring myself to spend much time on the waste of space that is the MFC, I'm not entirely sure who they'll have playing as a tall forward aside from Hogan.........so not sure who Roberts goes to.

Happy Days
09-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Our preferred back six has taken a hammering, with only Morris and Boyd still fit!

Roberts to earn a reprieve, do we go with Morris on Hogan now? Given I can't bring myself to spend much time on the waste of space that is the MFC, I'm not entirely sure who they'll have playing as a tall forward aside from Hogan.........so not sure who Roberts goes to.

Cam Pedersen; I wouldn't stress.

The real problem is who plays on Garlett if Morris mans Hogan.

jeemak
09-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Cam Pedersen; I wouldn't stress.

The real problem is who plays on Garlett if Morris mans Hogan.

I was thinking that. Is Cordy quick enough to go with Garlett? We've got to bring in another defender, and if we don't think Hamling is performing to the required standard and Dad isn't ready due to being rested last week it may be that we go for a medium sized defender and try to mix things up a little.

Bulldog Joe
09-05-2016, 07:32 PM
I was thinking that. Is Cordy quick enough to go with Garlett? We've got to bring in another defender, and if we don't think Hamling is performing to the required standard and Dad isn't ready due to being rested last week it may be that we go for a medium sized defender and try to mix things up a little.

Do we know why Collins didn't play last week. It appears now that Adams was always scheduled to miss this week, perhaps Collins was rested to ensure his availability and not coming in off a 6 day break.

GVGjr
09-05-2016, 07:33 PM

At the start of the season Morris, M.Boyd and Murphy were going to be 'managed' which is one of the reason why I think we selected Adcock however, those plans will be put on the back burner for a few more weeks. It might be a couple of more weeks before they can get a rest.

My original thought was that Hamling was very unlikely to be selected unless there were injuries but with Adams out and some doubt on Collins we might have to hope can come in and play a good role for us. Perhaps Z.Cordy comes into the mix.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-05-2016, 07:43 PM
No rest for Moz or Boydy they're holding the backline together atm like Crofty and Kritter used to do

bornadog
09-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Do we know why Collins didn't play last week. It appears now that Adams was always scheduled to miss this week, perhaps Collins was rested to ensure his availability and not coming in off a 6 day break.

He was in the social club on Saturday and Dan asked him when he will play his first game, but of course he didn't say anything. Not sure why he didn't play yesterday.

azabob
10-05-2016, 07:32 AM
He was in the social club on Saturday and Dan asked him when he will play his first game, but of course he didn't say anything. Not sure why he didn't play yesterday.

Dan who?

bornadog
10-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Dan who?

Sorry the comedian Dan McGinlay who also does the banners.

kruder
10-05-2016, 09:59 AM

Id suggest he was rested. Bevo always rests one per week which is usually an emergency its great player management.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Id suggest he was rested. Bevo always rests one per week which is usually an emergency its great player management.

That is what I guessed as well.

Mofra
10-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Does anyone remember if last year any player came into the side the week after being rested at VFL level?
With Adams out we have to bring in a tall.

G-Mo77
10-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Does anyone remember if last year any player came into the side the week after being rested at VFL level?
With Adams out we have to bring in a tall.

I think we can get away without an extra tall. We've played 2 teams in a row with 3 big forwards on their team. If Melbourne bring in an extra big to play down there it's going to work in our favour. I'd be happy to replace Adams with a small.

To answer your question I really can't remember, something like that is hazy from the Macca days.

1eyedog
10-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Minson knocking on the door. Is Roughie back TC forward and Minson 90% ruck crazy? It goes against what we've done thus far but its a viable option.

The Pie Man
10-05-2016, 12:38 PM
IF Collins was to get a run for Adams I have a feeling he would be a good match up for Pedersen - though Morris doesn't give up much in height there, but given the job he does on the dangerous smalls you'd rather he focus there.

Roberts one more chance - Hogan will be a touch match up, though it will likely hinge on us winning the midfield battle again.

Gawn vs our combo will be huge

So it could be Stevens for Adams if they think Morris/Wood can cover Pedersen, or someone like Collins/Hamling if not.

azabob
10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Sorry the comedian Dan McGinlay who also does the banners.

Phew. I thought it was Mr negativity Dan Lonergan....

Happy Days
10-05-2016, 01:20 PM
IF Collins was to get a run for Adams I have a feeling he would be a good match up for Pedersen - though Morris doesn't give up much in height there, but given the job he does on the dangerous smalls you'd rather he focus there.

Roberts one more chance - Hogan will be a touch match up, though it will likely hinge on us winning the midfield battle again.

Gawn vs our combo will be huge

So it could be Stevens for Adams if they think Morris/Wood can cover Pedersen, or someone like Collins/Hamling if not.

I'd play Stevens and ask Wood to do a mountain of work to help the guys out. If we look to free up Wood then Biggs can probably do the job on Garlett, putting Morris on Hogan and Roberts on Pedersen. I feel better about Biggs on Garlett than I do about Roberts on Hogan, ya know?

Axe Man
10-05-2016, 01:31 PM
I'd play Stevens and ask Wood to do a mountain of work to help the guys out. If we look to free up Wood then Biggs can probably do the job on Garlett, putting Morris on Hogan and Roberts on Pedersen. I feel better about Biggs on Garlett than I do about Roberts on Hogan, ya know?

I would say that if we were to go in with one less tall under this scenario then Wood will need to play on Jack Watts who has been in reasonable form this year (averaging 2 goals a game).

The Pie Man
10-05-2016, 02:12 PM
I would say that if we were to go in with one less tall under this scenario then Wood will need to play on Jack Watts who has been in reasonable form this year (averaging 2 goals a game).

I can't believe Watts is over 6 ft 4, just doesn't seem like it watching him play. Easton would be a good match up all the same.

Despite some patchy form, it's a shame Adams is injured for this one.

This looms as a quality game.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 02:16 PM
I can't believe Watts is over 6 ft 4, just doesn't seem like it watching him play. Easton would be a good match up all the same.

Despite some patchy form, it's a shame Adams is injured for this one.

This looms as a quality game.

If you look at the AFL team stats, Melbourne is just below us for Cont poss., clearances, stoppages and ahead in centre clearances.

So statistically they are on par with us, so will be a very interesting game.

Happy Days
10-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Good call, totally forgot Watts. Probably need the extra tall then!

Hamling's been poor in the VFL but was probably stiff to be dropped. Think he at least has the wheels to go with Watts, definitely more so than Roberts.

So;

Hamling - Watts
Roberts - Pedersen
Morris - Hogan
Biggs - Garlett

Wood stepping in the way of all of them, Boyd to play exactly as well as he did last week, Melbourne kick 65 points and we win.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Just a note, this game will be a members replacement game.

1eyedog
10-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Just a note, this game will be a members replacement game.

Is there a reserved area for Bulldogs GOLD / SILVER members BAD or is it GA?

Bulldog4life
10-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Phew. I thought it was Mr negativity Dan Lonergan....

The same Dan who wanted us to choose Aish over Bonti!

bornadog
10-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Is there a reserved area for Bulldogs GOLD / SILVER members BAD or is it GA?

Here is the information:

Ticketing

Members can access the following areas on the day for general admission seating:
Great Southern Stand
M1
M2 (Melbourne Supporter Bay)
M3-M11
P1-P7
Q1-Q15

Ponsford Stand
M28-M36
Q29-Q36

Olympic Stand
M53 (Rows A-Z) *DRY AREA
M54 *BCNA area
M55-M57
Q49-Q57
Members can upgrade to a reserved seat for this match by entering their 12-digit member barcode when purchasing tickets via Ticketek (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=MELBO0816).

Special Reserved Seat Offer
Bulldogs Members can get $10 off Level 2 Goal reserved seat upgrades in bays N32 and N33 Up until 5pm, Thursday 12 May. Click here (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=MELBO0816) to upgrade.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

We've got some young defenders playing very good football in the VFL, so one of those will come in to replace Marcus Adams.

comrade
10-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

Cordy must be a big chance. Would love to see him get a crack at Hogan, great for his development.

Mantis
10-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Cordy must be a big chance. Would love to see him get a crack at Hogan, great for his development.

Wouldn't Cordy be better suited to Watts?

Ozza
10-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I'm nervous about Cordy. Has a great attitude to the contest, but is really sloppy with disposal. I guess we have to find out about all of them at some stage.

comrade
10-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't Cordy be better suited to Watts?

Maybe, but Wood could take Watts.

comrade
10-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm nervous about Cordy. Has a great attitude to the contest, but is really sloppy with disposal. I guess we have to find out about all of them at some stage.

I think his disposal is ok. I saw him pinpoint a few slick passes on Sunday, albeit against terrible opposition.

kruder
10-05-2016, 04:54 PM
The same Dan who wanted us to choose Aish over Bonti!

I still cant believe Aish went top 10! How can you be an outside mid who is slow and lacks a penetrating kick. Jimmy Toumpas mark II! Even more confusing is why Collingwood then went for him and got rid of Seedsman in the process?

bornadog
10-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Maybe, but Wood could take Watts.

One thing I liked about Wood's game on the weekend was he didn't have to play super tall and that freed him up. I would hate to see him trying to cover another very tall player like the North match.

1eyedog
10-05-2016, 04:59 PM
One thing I liked about Wood's game on the weekend was he didn't have to play super tall and that freed him up. I would hate to see him trying to cover another very tall player like the North match.

Does Watts actually play tall though? Aside from the height difference I would have thought Wood was better in the air than Watts.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Does Watts actually play tall though?

He is 196 and takes a good mark. He does seem smaller though.

Mofra
10-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Does Watts actually play tall though? Aside from the height difference I would have thought Wood was better in the air than Watts.
13-14cm is a lot to make up though.
Perception of Watts seems tainted by reputation - he's been excellent this year. I wouldn't want him isolated with Wood one-out although they do try and keep Hogan closer to goal.

Zaine could be a sneaky chance for a game, laid plenty of tackles last week by all accounts and is aggressive in the air.

bornadog
10-05-2016, 05:39 PM
13-14cm is a lot to make up though.
Perception of Watts seems tainted by reputation - he's been excellent this year. I wouldn't want him isolated with Wood one-out although they do try and keep Hogan closer to goal.

Zaine could be a sneaky chance for a game, laid plenty of tackles last week by all accounts and is aggressive in the air.

Some stats from the VFL:

Lukas Webb – 28 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 marks, 2 goals

Bradley Lynch (rookie) – 26 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles

Mitch Honeychurch – 1 goal, 25 disposals, 6 tackles

Lin Jong – 2 goals, 23 disposals, 4 tackles

Declan Hamilton – 20 disposals, 4 marks

Bailey Williams – 20 disposals, 7 marks

Josh Dunkley – 1 goal, 19 disposals, 7 tackles

Will Minson – 1 goal, 18 disposals, 8 tackles, 43 hitouts

Zaine Cordy – 14 disposals, 4 marks, 7 tackles

Joel Hamling – 14 disposals, 3 marks

Luke Goetz (rookie) – 2 disposals, 2 tackles

Mantis
10-05-2016, 06:29 PM

He might not play tall, but he is a smart player who will be able to find space if Wood zones off.

1eyedog
10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Some stats from the VFL:

Lukas Webb – 28 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 marks, 2 goals

Bradley Lynch (rookie) – 26 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles

Mitch Honeychurch – 1 goal, 25 disposals, 6 tackles

Lin Jong – 2 goals, 23 disposals, 4 tackles

Declan Hamilton – 20 disposals, 4 marks

Bailey Williams – 20 disposals, 7 marks

Josh Dunkley – 1 goal, 19 disposals, 7 tackles

Will Minson – 1 goal, 18 disposals, 8 tackles, 43 hitouts

Zaine Cordy – 14 disposals, 4 marks, 7 tackles

Joel Hamling – 14 disposals, 3 marks

Luke Goetz (rookie) – 2 disposals, 2 tackles

Honey, Dunks and Webb doing all the right things. Loving that Honey and Dunks are chasing and applying heavy tackling pressure as well. Surely one has to come in this week.

Bulldog4life
11-05-2016, 01:14 AM
Honey was a ball magnet in the under 18's and is doing it now in the VFL. Just needs his opportunity in the big time.

Ozza
11-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Although Watts hasn't seemed to have played tall in the past, and isn't really a contested marking player - he is quick and tall and has taken plenty of marks inside 50 this year. Also very accurate in front of goal.

Now that they have Hogan as such a focus, and Pederson playing well - Watts has become more than a handy forward this season.

always right
11-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Anyone have the feeling that Stringer might be rested as a result of the corkie he suffered on the weekend?

Mofra
11-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Anyone have the feeling that Stringer might be rested as a result of the corkie he suffered on the weekend?
He ran out the game ok and we played Libba the week after his corkie which was at least as bad.

He might play 100% forward to reduce his game-load by a small amount but I'd expect him to play.

Axe Man
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Stopping Hogan a team effort for young Dogs defence (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-10/stopping-hogan-a-team-effort-for-young-dogs-defence)

THE Western Bulldogs need to get better at combating the AFL's monster forwards, according to coach Luke Beveridge.

Despite having the competition's stingiest defence, key forwards Josh Jenkins (eight goals) and Jarrad Waite (four) have given the Bulldogs plenty of problems in the past fortnight.

And the task of stopping Melbourne's Jesse Hogan at the MCG on Sunday will be all the more harder with first-year revelation Marcus Adams sidelined with a fracture finger.

"He's an imposing young forward, Jesse, and as you saw with the Crows' big forwards we didn't manage them too well last week," Beveridge said.

"Whether it's Jesse, Taylor Walker or Josh Jenkins, it (doesn't) get any easier.

"Whoever's got him at any point in time, I think they're going to need help in the air, which we've been OK at.

"It will be more a communal effort."

With veteran Dale Morris better suited to playing on smaller types in the twilight of his career, it will be a very inexperienced key defensive group that runs out against the Demons with Fletcher Roberts (21 games) likely to be partnered by either Zaine Cordy (two) or Joel Hamling (13).

Beveridge hasn't ruled out giving draftee Kieran Collins a baptism of fire after the hulking 18-year-old's impressive form in the VFL.

First-year running defender Bailey Williams is also in the frame to play his first game in the red, white and blue.

"We'll pick a young defender out of those four and give them an opportunity to play in a big game," Beveridge said.

"Zaine Cordy has been playing well, young Bailey Williams been playing pretty well, Kieran Collins had a week off last week (and) Joel Hamling played reasonably well.

"We haven't had the best run of luck with (our defenders), but I've been impressed the way the boys have adapted."

As the Dogs prepare for the first game at the MCG since last year's elimination final loss to Adelaide, Beveridge said his players are jumping out of their skins to play the first of only two matches at the AFL's "colosseum" in 2016.

"We do go in with a head of steam after beating a very good side in the Adelaide Crows," he said.

"The boys love playing at Etihad (but) the MCG is (the game's) colosseum and the boys are looking forward to getting out on the big arena.

"It's the stomping ground for the finals, and if you get there, you have to win finals there.

"We would love to win this week, but we don't it's not the end of the world."

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm guessing he's just pumping Bailey's tyres up a little but isn't in serious calculations just yet?

I didn't watch all of the VFL game but how does Goetz only get 2 disposals in a rout?
I reckon I could of got at least 5.

Murphy'sLore
11-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I guess it comes down to which is best: playing well, pretty well or reasonably well.

bornadog
11-05-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm guessing he's just pumping Bailey's tyres up a little but isn't in serious calculations just yet?

I didn't watch all of the VFL game but how does Goetz only get 2 disposals in a rout?
I reckon I could of got at least 5.

Goetz hasn't been impressive at all. I guess he is still very young.

Might be a week to introduce some young talent??? Gut feel Collins comes in.

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Goetz hasn't been impressive at all. I guess he is still very young.

Might be a week to introduce some young talent??? Gut feel Collins comes in.

Yeah I think you might be right. Hamling has had a go and wasn't great on the weekend. MCG will be a great experience for a young player, and Beveridge tends to use big occasions and road trips for blooding players.

We only get 2 MCG games this year before finals so would be good to play those that may have a chance of making a final. You wouldn't want a final to be their first game they played on the ground in an ideal world.
So Dunkley, Collins, McLean or maybe Webb (Not sure if they have played there yet)

1eyedog
11-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Would love Collins to come in for Adams. Who makes way for Stevens if he's OK?

bornadog
11-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Adcock?

The Pie Man
11-05-2016, 12:37 PM

I hear BAD on Adcock, but McLean may need a rest?

They're probably loathe to drop Dale after his steady hand late in the game - outside of the last minute of the match, his output was still underwhelming.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Adcock?

I hear BAD on Adcock, but McLean may need a rest?

They're probably loathe to drop Dale after his steady hand late in the game - outside of the last minute of the match, his output was still underwhelming.

It's a tough one. I wouldn't have had Dale or Adcock in last week but in their own way they showed value. Beveridge seems to love Adcock's experience. Dale was ordinary for 98% of the game and awesome in the vital, last 2%.

I see Toby McLean as a valuable member in our best 22. Hard to predict if he needs a rest outside looking in, sports science and all that. It's an eight-day break which goes against the need for a rest. A couple of times this season already, he has come off reportedly light weeks on the track and played well on the weekend. His Footy IQ is very high. Wonderful having him and Daniel coming through at the same time.

I am going with Dale for Stevens with Dale being the playing emergency who gets a rest if he isn't needed.

bornadog
11-05-2016, 01:18 PM
It's a tough one. I wouldn't have had Dale or Adcock in last week but in their own way they showed value. Beveridge seems to love Adcock's experience. Dale was ordinary for 98% of the game and awesome in the vital, last 2%.

I see Toby McLean as a valuable member in our best 22. Hard to predict if he needs a rest outside looking in, sports science and all that. It's an eight-day break which goes against the need for a rest. A couple of times this season already, he has come off reportedly light weeks on the track and played well on the weekend. His Footy IQ is very high. Wonderful having him and Daniel coming through at the same time.

I am going with Dale for Stevens with Dale being the playing emergency who gets a rest if he isn't needed.

Who replaces Adams?

Rocco Jones
11-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Who replaces Adams?

I guess that's a different story.

I believe Zaine Cordy is the most 'team defence' ready/capable of our options.

Greystache
11-05-2016, 01:20 PM

I suspect Stevens won't be back this week.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Yeah with these 1-2 injuries, we seem to err on the side of caution and give our players the extra week. Wood and Daniel example this season.

Happy Days
11-05-2016, 04:21 PM

I don't mind, did you guys see him in his suit in the rooms after the game? He looked fantastic.

LostDoggy
11-05-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't mind, did you guys see him in his suit in the rooms after the game? He looked fantastic.

That was very McAvaney.

Greystache
11-05-2016, 05:16 PM

I was there and that jumper was a shocker. I really hope it was to keep his injured abdominals warm!

Rocket Science
11-05-2016, 05:25 PM
With current our defensive outs, I'm equal parts baffled and concerned Hamling isn't warranting stronger consideration.

Has he been that awful?

1eyedog
11-05-2016, 05:35 PM
With current our defensive outs, I'm equal parts baffled and concerned Hamling isn't warranting stronger consideration.

Has he been that awful?

I thought his AFL appearance earlier this year was ok but he has stunk it up at VFL ever since.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Who replaces Adams?

You would think Hamling would come into calculations given how we have struggled with taller defenders in the past two weeks against bigger forwards. There is also the possibility of dropping Roughead back now that Campbell is holding his own in the ruck.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Melbourne need to be taken very seriously and are in our slipstream, in that our strengths and style are also theirs. Their forward line has real potency with Hogan, Watts and Garlett. The Glove on Garlett, Cordy in to cover Watts whose strength is his mobility and smarts and I suspect Adcock will stay in. Collins to debut against Hogan, they must have crossed paths already and Collins would've mentally prepared for him.

Rocket Science
11-05-2016, 09:59 PM
I thought his AFL appearance earlier this year was ok but he has stunk it up at VFL ever since.

That may be the case, but it's hard to imagine either the senior team or Hamling himself is particularly well served by playing him at full forward at the lower level.

That said, I've caught none of our VFL games this year so perhaps he's been named there on paper only.

1eyedog
11-05-2016, 10:14 PM
That may be the case, but it's hard to imagine either the senior team or Hamling himself is particularly well served by playing him at full forward at the lower level.

That said, I've caught none of our VFL games this year so perhaps he's been named there on paper only.

Correct he's played back.

bornadog
11-05-2016, 11:54 PM
Collins to debut against Hogan, they must have crossed paths already and Collins would've mentally prepared for him.

Hogan (21) is a full 3 years older than Collins (18) so doubt they have crossed paths.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Collins didn't play on Sunday someone on bookface said he was being rested. Mysterious

Throughandthrough
12-05-2016, 03:01 PM
I'd give Bailey Williams a chance. Let him inject some pace onto the G

bornadog
12-05-2016, 03:14 PM

He can pick up Petracca.

The Pie Man
12-05-2016, 04:27 PM
He can pick up Petracca.

Imagine there's a fair weight difference between the two.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Imagine there's a fair weight difference between the two.

Same height, but yes about 10kg difference

Mantis
12-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Is he quick? Haven't noticed it in what I've seen of him so far.

Cyberdoggie
12-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Is he quick? Haven't noticed it in what I've seen of him so far.

Not really, similar to Webb and Wallis really. Not blessed with pace.

I don't think he's anywhere near ready yet. The Roosters game was probably his best statistically along with Lynch and it was against a very weak side in a 100 point thrashing. Let's see how they go against Port Melbourne this weekend at a small ground and likely boggy Nth Port oval, I bet they struggle.

bornadog
12-05-2016, 07:23 PM
In: Jong, Honeychurch, Dunkley and Williams

Out: Adams

The Underdog
12-05-2016, 07:25 PM

4 mids for a tall defender.
That's the wacky MC I remember

GVGjr
12-05-2016, 07:25 PM

Good selections. I would have been tempted by Hamling or Cordy but it's exciting to have Williams named in the squad.

No Koby Stevens though

bornadog
12-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Good selections. I would have been tempted by Hamling or Cordy but it's exciting to have Williams named in the squad.

No Koby Stevens though

I wonder if Roughie will drop back there to help out?

The Underdog
12-05-2016, 07:31 PM
I wonder if Roughie will drop back there to help out?

Hope we've got guys at the drop at every contest in their forward 50, because we'll have at least 4 blokes flying at the ball.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Williams was impressive last week but he is very skinny

The Underdog
12-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Good to see Salem back for the Dees. Always good to have someone to truly hate.

Remi Moses
12-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Good to see Salem back for the Dees. Always good to have someone to truly hate.

Why ?

Remi Moses
12-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Not a tall demon forward line . Surprised Webb hasn't been given a run yet, but in Bevo we trust .

The Underdog
12-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Why ?

Watch him closely sometime. He's very mouthy.

Remi Moses
12-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Just watching Fox league teams
Notable inclusions L. Long :rolleyes:
Any relation to Michael ?

Remi Moses
12-05-2016, 07:51 PM

Fair enough . I still reckon Melbourne will regret giving pick 2 ( Josh Kelly) for him and Tyson

kruder
12-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Not a tall demon forward line . Surprised Webb hasn't been given a run yet, but in Bevo we trust .

Its an interesting one with Webb. Someone asked in the presser a few weeks ago if he would come in post JJ/Sucking injuries and Bevo gave a definitive answer and said no. I cant remember the exact line but it was like they had a preconceived plan for him at Footscray. The only other answer is that he might have been a naughty boy? I doubt it though looks like he has his head screwed on.

ledge
12-05-2016, 08:03 PM
I think it was along the lines of him learning to play in multiple roles at footscray first.

1eyedog
12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm sick of seeing Adcock in the team. He's a liability and I fear it's a Bevo love in that has him selected each week. I want Webb or Honey in the team.

The Pie Man
12-05-2016, 08:49 PM

Bugg doesn't mind that either

The Pie Man
12-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Power to the MC for backing themselves in with these selections, and we know it worked vs North late last year. Just seems that if one matchup isn't panning out it leaves us very little room to manoeuvre.

ratsmac
12-05-2016, 10:59 PM
With Adams out you would think we would pick Hamling, Collins or Cordy to be at least an emergency wouldn't we? Apparently not. I think the MC take great pride in the fact that no one will ever be able to guess what the selections will be.

Rocket Science
12-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Welp, it's official. Hamling's clearly schtooping somone's missus.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2016, 12:20 AM

No Koby Stevens though

Happy about it too, but has he proven himself at a lower level yet? I like the addition of Dunkley, not sure about Adcock, but seems if it doesn't work out it won't be for lack of trying?

NoseBleed
13-05-2016, 02:00 AM
I was anti Adcock when I first saw him play. I only saw the bad. Since then I've tried watching the replays without the commentary.
I reccomend it. He bobs up doing good things.

I'd pick him.

C.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2016, 03:11 AM
Think we'll go with Jong or Dunkley for extra mid support. If Pedersen is hurting us, Roughead can go back but otherwise we play to our strengths and bring it to ground. We went 'tall' last week and it didn't necessarily work, so I think we'll be prepared to back our smaller running structure in.

No Koby for another week and Melbourne's solid midfield = the need for a mid. I'm leaning towards Dunkley, who I think has cleaner hands and perhaps better positioning than Jong but the latter is probably the safer/more experienced choice at this stage of their careers. Just wish Lin had cleaner hands.

jeemak
13-05-2016, 03:26 AM
TBB - No love for Honeychurch as a mid who can win the ball more often than Jong, and can use it as well? He's been putting his best foot forward all season.

1eyedog
13-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Yeah I think HC is a massive chance purely due to the size of the ground and the hardness of players like Jones and Viney. We'll need an extra hard option in there this week I think. Stevens would have been ideal.

The Underdog
13-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah I think HC is a massive chance purely due to the size of the ground and the hardness of players like Jones and Viney. We'll need an extra hard option in there this week I think. Stevens would have been ideal.

I wouldn't be surprised given the size of the ground if Jong's size and ability to cover the ground gets him in over the others. You're right though, Koby would have been the best of both (& all possible) worlds

Ghost Dog
13-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Williams' first game at the G, and Dunkley's first time on the G. Bevo is trying to create a sense of narrative for our young players and a sense of belief. Their families will be super excited to make the trip. Can't wait.

1eyedog
13-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised given the size of the ground if Jong's size and ability to cover the ground gets him in over the others. You're right though, Koby would have been the best of both (& all possible) worlds

Happy with Jong. He has deficiencies but he's hard at it and can cover the ground. He also seems to play well there.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2016, 12:25 PM
TBB - No love for Honeychurch as a mid who can win the ball more often than Jong, and can use it as well? He's been putting his best foot forward all season.

It depends how we see HC at senior level. To date, he's only ever played as a small forward with brief stints in the middle. He's certainly amid at VFL level, so he may get that chance but given Melbourne have some bigger bodies that might work against him.

Happy to see any of HC, Jong or Dunkley play - all would make sense.

1eyedog
13-05-2016, 05:56 PM
It depends how we see HC at senior level. To date, he's only ever played as a small forward with brief stints in the middle. He's certainly amid at VFL level, so he may get that chance but given Melbourne have some bigger bodies that might work against him.

Happy to see any of HC, Jong or Dunkley play - all would make sense.
Not so sure he is as tough as nails and really strong at the contest.

bornadog
13-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Final Team Bailey Williams to debut

bornadog
13-05-2016, 06:11 PM
The Western Bulldogs have named their third debutant of the 2016 season, with Bailey Williams replacing the injured Marcus Adams in the final side to face Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

Williams was taken at pick 48 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft out of Glenelg, assistant coach Daniel Giansircusa telling westernbulldogs.com.au that the 18-year-old had earned his spot after impressing across half back in the VFL.

“It’s exciting for a first year player to pull on the colours for the first time, he’s had some really solid form at VFL level, where he’s slotted into the way we play down back, Giansiracusa said.
“We’re excited to see how he goes.”

Williams impressed the Bulldogs pre-draft with his combination of competiveness and elite agility, and once collected 56 disposals for Glenelg in a game against Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL.

Williams collected 20 disposals and seven marks for Footscray against North Ballarat at VU Whitten Oval last weekend, and is the 994th player to pull on the red, white and blue.

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
Sunday 15 May 2016, 3:20pm
Venue: MCG

(http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-05-13/www.westernbulldogs.com.au/teams)

Full back
M Boyd
F Roberts
D Morris

Half back
S Biggs
E Wood
J Adcock

Centreline
L Hunter
T Liberatore
T Dickson

Half forward
L Picken
T Campbell
J Stringer

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
J Redpath
M Wallis

Followers
J Roughead
J Macrae
M Bontempelli

Interchange
T McLean
B Dale
B Williams

C Daniel

Emergencies
J Dunkley
M Honeychurch
L Jong

In: B Williams
Out: M Adams (Finger)

ledge
13-05-2016, 06:15 PM
If only Clay Smith was available, Viney would be changing his shorts every quarter.

1eyedog
13-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Good luck to him hope he has a good debut.

Throughandthrough
13-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Bails has played AFL before, this is him playing mini league at AAMI stadium for West Adelaide in 2009

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34664426@N04/3886590175/in/photolist-6uHLkB-6mQkDX-6RK9Wd-6VrMRr-6VvRWJ

lemmon
13-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Excited to get a look at Bailey, he looks like another of the neat, high production flankers that we've been successful with

Remi Moses
13-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Best of luck to Bailey
Wonder who'll present the Guernsey ?

kruder
13-05-2016, 07:53 PM
So we have Murphy, Crameri,JJ,Sucking,Stevens,Adams and Boyd(questionable he is ahead of Redpath at this stage) out of our best 22. If we can get another win against a significantly improved Melbourne, 6-2 will be a mighty result for the group.

Good luck Bailey! I have a feeling Daly may have found a few nice flankers in he and Lynch.

GVGjr
14-05-2016, 12:32 AM
To me this is such an important game for us. Melbourne are improving and we play them on the MCG so I think this game might be a lot harder than many predict. I hope the MC have made the right change this week because a loss against the Dees pull us back to the field a bit and put Melbourne right into finals contention.

G-Mo77
14-05-2016, 12:48 AM
To me this is such an important game for us. Melbourne are improving and we play them on the MCG so I think this game might be a lot harder than many predict. I hope the MC have made the right change this week because a loss against the Dees pull us back to the field a bit and put Melbourne right into finals contention.

Anyone who think this game is going to be an easy one is kidding themselves.

bornadog
14-05-2016, 12:49 AM
Going in with one less tall in the backline is a worry for mine, however, I think Bevo has a cunning plan.

LostDoggy
14-05-2016, 08:23 AM
I feel comfortable in questioning Bevo and the Mach committee as anytime I did that last year, I was found to be completely wrong.

How does Bailey get a run ahead of Webb and HC?
We lose a key back and bring in a flanker? Ludicrous given our KP is the underwhelming Fletch.
We must be tanking or rebuilding.
I'm changing my tip.

Can't wait to see how wrong I am. I'd say we will see Rough down back a bit. Massive positive to see Williams debut and confidence being shown in Fletch. As per last year building depth regardless of opponent. Not rushing back the injured is a good policy although we may see them coming back soon.

1eyedog
14-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Yeah it's even money for mine. If we beat Melbourne tomorrow it will be a massive result, especially with so many outs.

Ozza
14-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Think the mc are seeing it as Morris replaces Adams and plays on a tall, and seeing as Morris played small last week, Williams comes in to play on a small.

kruder
14-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Its a brave move indeed by bringing in a first gamer when you have close to 7 players out of your 22 not playing.Any kind of win I'll be rapt with.

LostDoggy
14-05-2016, 09:46 AM
I'm looking everywhere but where can you get the average team ages per club based on the team selected?

azabob
14-05-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm looking everywhere but where can you get the average team ages per club based on the team selected?

Melbourne was the youngest last round. So they might be this round as well.

always right
14-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Every week we pontificate about who will come in for who.....and we are always surprised. When will we learn? It's pretty simple.....nominate the most illogical changes and that's what will happen. He's his own man Luke and he backs himself every time.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Melbourne always turn it on for us. They smell an opportunity and go for it.
Remember some good contests against them. Brian Lake going forward to hurt them, with a Griff score to clinch the game

hujsh
14-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Every week we pontificate about who will come in for who.....and we are always surprised. When will we learn? It's pretty simple.....nominate the most illogical changes and that's what will happen. He's his own man Luke and he backs himself every time.

So Minson to the wing next week?

jeemak
14-05-2016, 01:53 PM

The MC thread has tuned in to possibly the most futile thing we do on WOOF these days.

bornadog
14-05-2016, 01:54 PM
The MC thread has tuned in to possibly the most futile thing we do on WOOF these days.

Its fun trying to guess though.